PDA

View Full Version : I Need Military Advice..... No GM Shit In Here.

recxjake
01-30-2007, 09:02 PM

|Zach|
01-30-2007, 09:05 PM
Lots of National Guard in Iraq. I was reading about a company who just got their tour extended 4 months.

Best of luck if you decide its for you.

RNR
01-30-2007, 09:07 PM
Do National Guard troops get shitty assignments like working in cafeteria's or do they acutally get to hit the dirt? If my ass is going all they way to Iraq, I wanna ****ing kill a terrorist.

Any help would be great, thanks, Jake
You sound like a good kid, but be careful what you wish for.

crazycoffey
01-30-2007, 09:12 PM
as with all advice here, grain of salt should be a side platter. I was active duty army and reserve army, Nat guard did a lot of what I did, but were treated a bit lower, because they were at the end of the "funds" line. I would look elsewhere before guards, you're expected to do the same with less and some times with less combined training around you, I did say sometimes. A quick story. I had two airforce neighbors living in army housing one in Heidelberg Germany and one in Ft. Leonardwood, MO. They were both receiving extra money a month to live in substandard living conditions. At least check out the airforce and air guard, the more you know the better the decision you can make.

Iowanian
01-30-2007, 09:14 PM
SuperFly Do or Die! Gung HO! GUNG HO!

pr_capone
01-30-2007, 09:17 PM
Could they deploy me whenever they wanted? Do National Guard troops get shitty assignments like working in cafeteria's or do they acutally get to hit the dirt? If my ass is going all they way to Iraq, I wanna ****ing kill a terrorist.

Ex-Kansas National Guardsman here.

Yes, you can be deployed at any point in time.

Yes, NG get shitty jobs like working in cafeterias AND they hit the dirt. Just depends what your MOS (job) is and where they feel you and your unit are needed most.

Since you have college credit you qualify for an immediate promotion. In all reality, you should go into basic training with no less of a rank than E-3 which is a Private First Class (look at my avatar). Make sure you talk to the recruiter about that and get EVERYTHING in writing.

If you want to be a ground pounder... then look no further than infantry. 11B is the MOS designation. I would bet $20 that it is on the top ten list of jobs that need to be filled.

Prior to shipping out to Basic, you will still be required to report to your unit for the one weekend a month bit. You will not be allowed to participate in any of the firing range / qualifying excersizes but will instead be taking a class where you will learn proper marching, rank system, and you will do a SHIT load of PT (physical training).

If you are serious about this, I strongly suggest you begin training immediately instead of just waiting to report on your first day.

Frazod
01-30-2007, 09:18 PM
If you join up, you are almost guaranteed to see serious active duty time and/or combat. In one of the most hellish, hot godforsaken places on earth. Surrounded by people who would cut your throat and get a big woody for Allah listening to the gurgling sound of your blood gushing out. All for minimal pay and unless you do 20, no worthwhile benefits.

That two weeks a summer thing is gone forever; at least as long as President C#cksucker is in charge.

If you're determined to do this, I suggest you pick an extreme - enlist in the Navy or Air Force if you'd rather not get shot at, or if think you'd enjoy getting shot at, join the Marines so you'll be surrounded by a higher class of combatant. As low as recruiting standards are right now, I would absolutely advise against joining the Army.

Iowanian
01-30-2007, 09:19 PM
Rex....locally, I think your NG options are Mechanics and medics. I've got buddies that are Sgts in both. Both units have already been deployed once and the other twice. That may reduce the chances of immediate deployment as some suggest. Check into that, but by signing the line, you know its an option.

Read the fine print.

pikesome
01-30-2007, 09:19 PM
I mean what is all this stuff I hear about one weekend a month, two weeks a year?

Not if they need you, that's part of the deal. You can be activated for more. There are a lot of limits, rules, etc I don't know anything about though.

bushmaster
01-30-2007, 09:21 PM
i was an air force recruiter from 85-89.

you don't join any branch of the military to continue your education, you join the military to die for your country. anything you do on this side of the dirt is gravy.

morphius
01-30-2007, 09:22 PM
Really, the way that it was always explained to me is that as far as taking care of their people it normally goes Air Force, Navy, Army then Marines. A possibility could be to look at the Navy SeaBees, they are the group that takes care of the Marines vehicles and the like. They also go on patrols as well, from what I understand. There are some people here that will know a lot more about this then me, but it is probably worth looking into as you are interested in vehicles outside of service as well.

Halfcan
01-30-2007, 09:29 PM
Good luck!

pikesome
01-30-2007, 09:30 PM
Really, the way that it was always explained to me is that as far as taking care of their people it normally goes Air Force, Navy, Army then Marines. A possibility could be to look at the Navy SeaBees, they are the group that takes care of the Marines vehicles and the like. They also go on patrols as well, from what I understand. There are some people here that will know a lot more about this then me, but it is probably worth looking into as you are interested in vehicles outside of service as well.

SeeBees are construction guys. They hit the ground in support of the Marines alot. They build barracks, temp bridges, not so temp bridges. They also have in the past built things for the people of the area we're in too. Corpsmen (field medics) in the Navy are on the ground with Marine units. Not all corpsmen go with Marines though, its a specialty.

Frazod
01-30-2007, 09:31 PM
The Air Force generally treats its people the best. When I was in the Navy and my best friend was enlisted in the Air Force, for a couple of months he was stationed at the AFB in Hampton, VA while I was on my ship in Norfolk. I took him on a tour of the ship, and he was horrified by the living conditions (wall-to-wall three-high bunk beds). As a low ranking enlisted man, he shared a large room with one roommate; a berthing compartment the same size as his room would house 30 sailors on a ship. Hell, their enlisted quarters were better than the staterooms our commissioned officers had.

The bad thing about the Air Force (compared to the Navy) is that you'll generally be stationed in one place, and that's it. If that one place really sucks (Minot, North Dakota, Greenland, etc.) then you're just screwed. In the Navy, though, if you're on a ship, the ship will go all over the world, and you will travel to interesting places.

pr_capone
01-30-2007, 09:31 PM
So if I sign the dotted line, how long can am I signed up for?

I was signed for 8 years total... 6 of Guard Duty, 2 of Inactive Reserve.

Basically during that 2 year period you could be called back up at any point in time for absolutly any reason. If there is any active conflict in which the US is participating in at the time your contract is up, it will automatically be renewed until the conflict is resolved and they fell they can afford to loose you.

Iowanian
01-30-2007, 09:38 PM
My brother signed Active Army for 3 years, but its an 8 year contract with 5 years inactive duty.

If you're not sure what you're signing...stop looking at the bonus check(which you won't get in 1 lump sum) and read your contract. Be sure on the MOS you sign up for, because if its "X" you'll be doing whatever they want you to do.

pr_capone
01-30-2007, 09:42 PM
why not one sum! I wanted some bar money before I shipped out for the summer!

You get some money after basic training.

IIRC it is

20% after basic 20% at end of contract, the other 60 is spread out over the term of your contract.

|Zach|
01-30-2007, 09:43 PM
I don't think you are quite thinking this through.

bushmaster
01-30-2007, 09:44 PM
The Air Force generally treats its people the best. When I was in the Navy and my best friend was enlisted in the Air Force, for a couple of months he was stationed at the AFB in Hampton, VA while I was on my ship in Norfolk. I took him on a tour of the ship, and he was horrified by the living conditions (wall-to-wall three-high bunk beds). As a low ranking enlisted man, he shared a large room with one roommate; a berthing compartment the same size as his room would house 30 sailors on a ship. Hell, their enlisted quarters were better than the staterooms our commissioned officers had.

The bad thing about the Air Force (compared to the Navy) is that you'll generally be stationed in one place, and that's it. If that one place really sucks (Minot, North Dakota, Greenland, etc.) then you're just screwed. In the Navy, though, if you're on a ship, the ship will go all over the world, and you will travel to interesting places.

on the other hand, that place might not suck. in my 15 years in the af, i was stationed at albuquerque, madrid spain, colorado springs, san diego, and bitburg germany. went tdy to some not really desireable places, saudi arabia nd the lik, but that was temporary.

Frazod
01-30-2007, 09:44 PM
You get some money after basic training.

IIRC it is

20% after basic 20% at end of contract, the other 40 is spread out over the term of your contract.

Nice math skills, Army boy. ROFL

pr_capone
01-30-2007, 09:45 PM
Nice math skills, Army boy. ROFL

Typo. ROFL ROFL ROFL

Bowser
01-30-2007, 09:46 PM

Former Air Forcer here. I would agree with everything frazod says except the not getting to move part. In four years, including basic and tech school, I went from Texas to Illinois to Okinawa to Witchita.

I have had close friends serve in all branches of the military, and the Air Force treats their people better by far. I was an E-2 straight out of tech school in Okinawa, and had my own room with my own fridge. There were marine sergeants living four to a room over there.

I guess it comes down to this - what are you willing to want to give your country? Any of the branches you go into will give you lifelong memories and friends. It just all depends on what your definition of serving your country is.

pr_capone
01-30-2007, 09:47 PM
Former Air Forcer here. I would agree with everything frazod says except the not getting to move part. In four years, including basic and tech school, I went from Texas to Illinois to Okinawa to Witchita.

I have had close friends serve in all branches of the military, and the Air Force treats their people better by far. I was an E-2 straight out of tech school in Okinawa, and had my own room with my own fridge. There were marine sergeants living four to a room over there.

I guess it comes down to this - what are you willing to want to give your country? Any of the branches you go into will give you lifelong memories and friends. It just all depends on what your definition of serving your country is.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Frazod
01-30-2007, 09:47 PM
on the other hand, that place might not suck. in my 15 years in the af, i was stationed at albuquerque, madrid spain, colorado springs, san diego, and bitburg germany. went tdy to some not really desireable places, saudi arabia nd the lik, but that was temporary.

Good point. My best friend ended up stationed in Germany for most of his enlistment and traveled all over Europe. He loved it, and is still in - just made major.

OTOH, my uncle's 4 year hitch was spent in Okinawa and some shithole on the plains of Montana. To this day he can't talk about the service without ranting and raving about how much he hated it, and he got out before I was born.

bushmaster
01-30-2007, 09:52 PM
Good point. My best friend ended up stationed in Germany for most of his enlistment and traveled all over Europe. He loved it, and is still in - just made major.

OTOH, my uncle's 4 year hitch was spent in Okinawa and some shithole on the plains of Montana. To this day he can't talk about the service without ranting and raving about how much he hated it, and he got out before I was born.

i know some ranters and ravers myself. i was fortunate.

Frazod
01-30-2007, 10:00 PM
i know some ranters and ravers myself. i was fortunate.

I was pretty fortunate, too. I was stationed on a supply ship. The good thing about that is when you're deployed, you spend half the deployment in port restocking. The longest I was ever continuously out to sea was two weeks (definitely not the case if you get assigned to a combatant). Most of the places I visited were really cool (Rio de Janeiro, Bahamas, and various places in Spain, France and Italy), and I got to fulfill a childhood dream and see Rome. Later, when I was assigned to Great Lakes, it was little more than an 8 to 5 job, and I went home every night.

And I also got the job training from the Navy that I still utilize to this day.

Of course, the tradeoff was shit pay, brutal hours, asshole officers, oppressive loneliness and a failed marriage. But if I had it to do over again, I would.

Simplex3
01-30-2007, 10:04 PM
If you're determined to do this, I suggest you pick an extreme - enlist in the Navy or Air Force if you'd rather not get shot at, or if think you'd enjoy getting shot at, join the Marines so you'll be surrounded by a higher class of combatant. As low as recruiting standards are right now, I would absolutely advise against joining the Army.
I had an uncle who was Air Force for many years, worked on the A-10's. He advised me that if you don't want to be a pilot then don't join the Air Force or "you'll be scraping bird poop off a runway in Guam." That said, their physical requirements and danger to non-pilots are minimal. Add to that the fact that they generally have better barracks and it's a sweet deal.

My father was ~20 during the Vietnam war and got a draft notice from the Army. He immediately went to the nearest Marine recruiter and signed up for 4 years. Basically his theory was that he'd rather be on a base where everyone had qualified with a rifle. The Marines are the only branch were every person in it has qualified with their gun. Go figure. In short, if you want to get shot at and you aren't going to try and go Rangers or some specialized division, go Marines. At least everyone around you will be competent in war.

trndobrd
01-30-2007, 10:21 PM
How many more years of college do you have left? I would suggest you also look at the ROTC programs at your school. I joined the National Guard, then joined Army ROTC and went on active duty when I graduated, and returned to the NG after three years.

A couple things to keep in mind:

1) Unlike any other branch of service, you can be called out for natural disasters in your community. Very gratifying to help and serve.

2) You can also be called to go other places, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, etc. Those places suck.

3) If you are an officer or senior NCO the "one weekend a month" thing is ancient history.

4) You get PX and commissary privledges and you can use the DOD resort system. I stayed at the Military hotel in Hawaii for my honeymoon for 1/3 the normal rate.

5) I had to delay getting married for over a year because I was deployed.

6) Basic and AIT suck. You will be a better person for it.

7) Don't do it for the money. Don't do it for some romantic notion or glory. War isn't glorious and doesn't pay all that well either.

8) Wearing a military uniform is one of the few cases were people are right to respect you for the clothes you wear. Wearing an American flag is cool.

9) Flying in a blacked out helicopter at night, then infiltrating the 'enemy' headquarters and 'killing' their scout platoon during the dead of night in training is a blast.

10) Having your helicopter shot at or having the engine quit while in flight is not fun at all.

11) Firing an M249 is awesome.

12) Carrying an M249 all day through the brush sucks.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-30-2007, 10:27 PM
Today I talked to an Iowa National Guard Recruiter to find out some info about what they are all about. Told me the basics, have a sit down meeting Friday.

There is a good chance that we will be going to war with Iran/Syria/North Korea in the 5 years, hell I wouldn't be surprised if some our "allies" turn against us, like Russia or China.

I don't want to get drafted, and I would like to help our country out during this time of war. One thing that pisses me off here at college is the fact that we are at war, and none of us act like we are affected. We get ****ing drunk 3 or 4 nights a week, buy new clothes, eat out, have nice new t.v.'s, cars, etc.... I am the only one of my friends that follows politics and world events.... I bet half my friends couldn't find Iraq on a map. I feel like I need to give something back to my country, just like my grandpa did.

Do any of you know much about the National Guard? The basics that I know is that they pay 20,000 bonus if I got into one of the top 10 areas of need, and also pay a lot of college expenses... luckily for me, I have no debt and I'm a junior. He told me I would go to basic training this summer, and then come back to school to finish up and go from there. Could they deploy me whenever they wanted? Do National Guard troops get shitty assignments like working in cafeteria's or do they acutally get to hit the dirt? If my ass is going all they way to Iraq, I wanna ****ing kill a terrorist.

Wow...this post is filled with some legitimate and intelligent criticism of our society, alongside some of the dumbest shit I've ever read. It's almost like two sides of your brain are fighting for complete control of your gray matter...that or you have MPD.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
01-30-2007, 10:27 PM
There's little question the AF treats their enlisted the best . . .

However, of all the services, when I was in (84-99), the AF promoted the slowest of the four services. I made E-7 in the Army at 9 years and was up for E-8 when I got out. I had a friend in the AF with more time in service than me who was still an E-5.

Better lifestyle, worse pay.

I'd take the smaller living quarters for the extra pay at the end of the month, but that's me.

Frazod
01-30-2007, 10:33 PM
There's little question the AF treats their enlisted the best . . .

However, of all the services, when I was in (84-99), the AF promoted the slowest of the four services. I made E-7 in the Army at 9 years and was up for E-8 when I got out. I had a friend in the AF with more time in service than me who was still an E-5.

Better lifestyle, worse pay.

I'd take the smaller living quarters for the extra pay at the end of the month, but that's me.
Another good point, although I don't know if that's still the case. It certainly was 20 years ago. I made E-5 in under 4 years and was eligible to take the exam for E-6 (but didn't bother to) when I got out.

It was not at all unusual for Air Force people to RETIRE as E-5s.

Taco John
01-30-2007, 10:43 PM
Your Commander in Chief, President Hillary Clinton will appreciate your service recxjake.

/*shudder*

Frazod
01-30-2007, 10:47 PM
Your Commander in Chief, President Hillary Clinton will appreciate your service recxjake.

/*shudder*

Shudder indeed, but she couldn't be any worse than the piece of shit that's in there now.

Halfcan
01-30-2007, 11:16 PM
Shudder indeed, but she couldn't be any worse than the piece of shit that's in there now.

She is a women prone to Mood Swings. She might get pissed of at Bill and start a war. Once she is Pres-Monica Lewinsky will mysteriously come up missing.

2bikemike
01-30-2007, 11:18 PM
My advice is stay in school and finish up. If your still serious go in as an officer. Much better pay scale. I am sure you can find the pay scales online.

crazycoffey
01-30-2007, 11:22 PM
http://blog.lewrockwell.com/lewrw/archives/bill_and_hillary_clinton-vi.jpg

funny freaking picture. I found it as a birthday card and sent it to my stepdad.

Taco John
01-30-2007, 11:23 PM

Agreed.

pr_capone
01-30-2007, 11:23 PM
My advice is stay in school and finish up. If your still serious go in as an officer. Much better pay scale. I am sure you can find the pay scales online.

True but he will gave the respect (assuming he is not an ass) of the enlisted men if he goes in as an enlisted man first, then after getting the degree he goes to OCS and gets his butter bar.

Logical
01-30-2007, 11:55 PM
Thank you, I guess the main reason I was thinking guard was that it would give me the best chance to finish up my undergrad, and go to law school... I mean what is all this stuff I hear about one weekend a month, two weeks a year?Basically pre-Iraq

|Zach|
01-31-2007, 12:52 AM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X43ZyUGOPyw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X43ZyUGOPyw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Cave Johnson
01-31-2007, 08:26 AM
One thing that pisses me off here at college is the fact that we are at war, and none of us act like we are affected. We get ****ing drunk 3 or 4 nights a week, buy new clothes, eat out, have nice new t.v.'s, cars, etc....

But that's how the President says we can do our part. You just don't get it. You're already helping the war effort.

crazycoffey
01-31-2007, 08:33 AM
True but he will gave the respect (assuming he is not an ass) of the enlisted men if he goes in as an enlisted man first, then after getting the degree he goes to OCS and gets his butter bar.

that's true, in a line unit. But if he wants to go to law school he will probably be repaying his College loans with money from the army while he works in legal affairs or JAG. He can get college over with faster by waiting to join, if he can financially afford to wait.

as far as guards or reserve, I still say reserves, I do not know everything about the guards, but if he were my son with these same two choices I would tell him reserves. Pays the same, can deploy also, (actually more deployments in the guard, because they go to natural disasters too), but the resources are less. The only thing that would change my point of view is if the guards had better retirement. I don't know how their time / point growth rates compare to the reserves.

crazycoffey
01-31-2007, 08:34 AM
I'm actually thinking about going back into the reserves as a warrant officer, have a preliminary interview this weekend.

jspchief
01-31-2007, 08:36 AM
There's a reason they offer 20k to fill these positions. They suck.

If you want to pay for Law School, let the military do it for you in exchange for military law service after you graduate. My buddy did this, they paid his way through Drake, and his position as a military lawyer pays a lot.

crazycoffey
01-31-2007, 08:38 AM

If you want to pay for Law School, let the military do it for you in exchange for military law service after you graduate. My buddy did this, they paid his way through Drake, and his position as a military lawyer pays a lot.

This is a smart / good message, it's what I tried to say a few posts ago.

boogblaster
01-31-2007, 08:41 AM
Right now were're fighting the Pappa Bush War..but soon to become the whole MiddleEast War..Id suggest if you want combat-action join a branch that will get you fully ready for combat..NG or REV..will get you shot....

Dartgod
01-31-2007, 08:45 AM
I don't want to get drafted, and I would like to help our country out during this time of war.

Cruiser: I joined the army 'cause my father and my brother were in the army. I figured I better join before I got drafted.

Sergeant Hulka: Son, there ain't no draft no more.

Cruiser: There was one?

ROFL

Sorry, I have nothing else to add. Your statement just reminded me of this. Good luck with whatever path you choose.

StcChief
01-31-2007, 08:48 AM
Air Force.

pikesome
01-31-2007, 09:03 AM
I'll just add a bit from my family's Navy experiences. Advancement in the Navy is mostly dependent on two things, the number of spots open at the next pay grade and your test scores from the advancement exam. One of the main reasons my father went Navy was because he felt like the advancement system gave him the most control over his advancement. The rate (same as the Army's MOS, basically your "job") has a great deal to do with it too. Nuke sailors get automatic advancement to E4 (I believe) out of school but that means that every nuke is trying for the same E5 spots. It always seemed to me that they had terrible advancement even compared to Supply which is what I was.

If you want the chance to have more personal responsibility the Marines or the Army is the way to go. Both the Navy and Air Force have less opportunity for some one in the E4-E5 range to be "in charge". It has to do with the way the services do their jobs. We had 3000 people on my boat, E6s were barely a supervisor in a lot of places.

Another thing to think about for the Navy, if you're looking at them, is there are two groups, people on ships and the worthless. One of the things I heard over and over is "Sailors belong on ships and ships belong at sea".

Saggysack
01-31-2007, 09:09 AM

Pay scale is based upon rank and years in service, not the job.

dtebbe
01-31-2007, 09:40 AM

Yes, but O-1 pays a HELL of a lot more than E-1 thru E-5.....

I 2nd the idea of working out a deal to go active and have them finish paying for your college, and then you will probably be committed to 8 years active duty once you graduate. However, you would probably get an O-1 commission right off the bat, and at least have some time in service by the time you graduate. Best off all your college time would be counting towards your retirement.

We had several guys doing this that went thru basic with me. They all did basic over summer break, and went right from basic to officer training. I think they did it all over one summer break.

I had a great offer from the Navy when I went in. They were going to put me through college for nuclear engineering, would be an E-4 during school and then get my O-1 when I graduated. I would then have to give them 8 years of service. It was a great deal, but the idea of being on a ship or sub for six or more months a year was not one that I liked...

DT

crazycoffey
01-31-2007, 09:52 AM

yes, but don't forget to throw in promotion rate into the mix. A doctor or lawyer in the military is going to go from butter bar to major in less than five years, no hard data to support this, but it is different than an officer in a line unit. More like butter for one year, two or three as 1st lt. etc. the rate is slower.

Plus as another poster just pointed out, officer rates are much higher than enlisted, on post living conditions are better too, if he went active. or was activated from the guard or reserve - in fact, there probably isn't these higher tiered MOS's in the guards.

DeepPurple
01-31-2007, 09:58 AM
Have you considered making the military a career? Does becoming a Army helicopter pilot interest you? If so, enlist in the Warrant Officer Flight Training Program.

I was somewhat like yourself, I was in my second year of college but it was 1969. You think now that no one pays attention to Iraq, imagine no cable or satellite TV, no 24 hour news channels, just the 6:30 national broadcast with Walter Cronkite or Huntly-Brinkley. We had a draft but it didn't worry me, every birthday is given a lottery number, mine was July 10th which was assigned #265. That meant the chance of myself being drafted was slim since 264 birthdays came before mine each year plus I had the college deferment.

What the heck, so I dropped out of college because I didn't care for my major and enlisted in the Army WOFT program. No college was necessary but two years was helpful, just a score of 130 on the Army qualification test and passing a class I Flight physical was all that was needed. My recruiter was sharp, before I signed on the dotted line he sent me to McDill Air Force Base in Tampa for a flight physical, that was near my home, and then up to Jacksonville to take the classroom tests. I ended up enlisting in the Army but going to a different school since the WOFT helicopter program had a year's wait. The WOFT helicopter program is still available.

crazycoffey
01-31-2007, 10:03 AM
Have you considered making the military a career? Does becoming a Army helicopter pilot interest you? If so, enlist in the Warrant Officer Flight Training Program.

had a year's wait. The WOFT helicopter program is still available.

Good option for the young buck.

I'm looking at a WO packet right now, to go back into the reserves. But it isn't for flying.

MahiMike
01-31-2007, 10:10 AM
You sound like a smart kid. I applaud your courage. Your intelligence is only undermined by your youth. I simply can't understand how someone looks at this idiotic war and thinks they can make a difference. If you really want to help this country, become a politician and keep idiots like Bush from making it into office.

I don't care if you're in the reserves or the boy scouts, if it were up to GW, 16 yr olds would be going over there.

BIG_DADDY
01-31-2007, 10:13 AM
You sound like a smart kid. I applaud your courage. Your intelligence is only undermined by your youth. I simply can't understand how someone looks at this idiotic war and thinks they can make a difference. If you really want to help this country, become a politician and keep idiots like Bush from making it into office.

I don't care if you're in the reserves or the boy scouts, if it were up to GW, 16 yr olds would be going over there.

I'm sure he really needed that. :shake:

crazycoffey
01-31-2007, 10:13 AM

Overboard - you fell off the left side of the boat, sir.

BIG_DADDY
01-31-2007, 10:26 AM
Sorry pal, I worked on the Bush campaign...I believe in this guy, that's why I want to help

You would have thought the avatar would have given him a clue but I guess fish don't have very good eyes that's why they are always getting hooked.

crazycoffey
01-31-2007, 10:27 AM
Sorry pal, I worked on the Bush campaign...I believe in this guy, that's why I want to help

there are worse things in this world than fighting for your beliefs and expecially when that belief is to make the world a safer place.

As I said before, take all this CP information with a grain of salt, look at more information than what you get from us and then follow your heart.

patteeu
01-31-2007, 10:27 AM

You don't sound all that smart.

JBucc
01-31-2007, 10:28 AM
Can you shoot good?

pikesome
01-31-2007, 10:29 AM

Hold on to that faith, you won't find one person who will say that Boot or the follow up schools were fun. The job has significant draw backs but if you make the most of your chances and keep your spirits up you can walk away a better person. For every 56 day straight at sea and water rationing there is a trip to Mount Fuji. I still remember fondly the times I had while I suppress the crappy parts. :)

penguinz
01-31-2007, 10:34 AM
They are not going to re-enable the draft so don;t worry about it.

crazycoffey
01-31-2007, 10:35 AM
Hold on to that faith, you won't find one person who will say that Boot or the follow up schools were fun. The job has significant draw backs but if you make the most of your chances and keep your spirits up you can walk away a better person. For every 56 day straight at sea and water rationing there is a trip to Mount Fuji. I still remember fondly the times I had while I suppress the crappy parts. :)

my crappy times weren't all bad, I spent three years wearing civilian clothes while on active duty in Germany.

I skied the alps, saw where the wall was, visited paris - louvre, eiffel tower, etc.

one of my more memoriable, was a trip through Italy, while working. But the stop in Rome had some cancelations, so we were able to rent motor scooters and site see (me and three other buddies) then partied with the marines at the embassey that night, it was a blast.

Yup, thank you tax payers, it was on your dime, and I was getting enough per diem that it paid for everything that trip, even the fun.

StcChief
01-31-2007, 10:40 AM

Overboard - you fell off the left side of the boat, sir.

Not only are you overboard, you are overboard hanging off the Dingy being towed behind the BIG boat.

DeepPurple
01-31-2007, 10:40 AM
The military, or at least when I served, will have an effect upon a person. In 1968 I was so far rightwing that I was working on the George Wallace campaign and a year later I enlisted in the Army during the Vietnam War. Eight years later I was voting for Jimmy Carter, that's the truth.

Have you noticed that many of the Vietnam era veterans turned into hippies, and those who were once hippies turned into the businessmen and the draft dodgers turned into the politicians. Everyone comes full circle, and that's what we have running this war now. God help those who don't see Bush has made a mess over there and left our troops out to dry.

crazycoffey
01-31-2007, 10:45 AM
Not only are you overboard, you are overboard hanging off the Dingy being towed behind the BIG boat.

Well, in that regard we have all fallen off the preverbial boat, but I was indicating he was on the left side.

To my credit, I jumped closer to the back end of the boat, staying away from either extreme left or right side.

crazycoffey
01-31-2007, 10:49 AM
The military, or at least when I served, will have an effect upon a person. In 1968 I was so far rightwing that I was working on the George Wallace campaign and a year later I enlisted in the Army during the Vietnam War. Eight years later I was voting for Jimmy Carter, that's the truth.

Have you noticed that many of the Vietnam era veterans turned into hippies, and those who were once hippies turned into the businessmen and the draft dodgers turned into the politicians. Everyone comes full circle, and that's what we have running this war now. God help those who don't see Bush has made a mess over there and left our troops out to dry.

the only thing I really disagree with on your sentiment is it is not all bush's fault. We have a leadership problem with this country and it makes me sick.

I know, WMDs right? Well guess what, Democrats said they were there too.

It is a mess overthere, but public chastizing of our government isn't the answer, it's only complaining. Do you have a better solution, because I would bet that even the republician party leaders would listen to a good alternative. And you know how far off the right side of the boat they fell off.

ChiefaRoo
01-31-2007, 01:33 PM
If you join up, you are almost guaranteed to see serious active duty time and/or combat. In one of the most hellish, hot godforsaken places on earth. Surrounded by people who would cut your throat and get a big woody for Allah listening to the gurgling sound of your blood gushing out. All for minimal pay and unless you do 20, no worthwhile benefits.

That two weeks a summer thing is gone forever; at least as long as President C#cksucker is in charge.

Hey Frazod lay off Pres. co**sucker. I'd rather have a dick in office than any of those appeasing pussies in the Democratic party.

My advice. Like the other guys said if you want to fight and are physically capable join the Marines or the Army Rangers. If you're more cerebral joining the Navy is a good call. My Uncle was a Sub-Mariner, very smart guy.

ChiefaRoo
01-31-2007, 01:35 PM

Yes, she would be. C'mon Frazod get real.

ChiefaRoo
01-31-2007, 01:36 PM
http://blog.lewrockwell.com/lewrw/archives/bill_and_hillary_clinton-vi.jpg

funny freaking picture. I found it as a birthday card and sent it to my stepdad.

I just threw up in my mouth.

crazycoffey
01-31-2007, 01:38 PM
Hey Frazod lay off Pres. co**sucker. I'd rather have a dick in office than any of those appeasing pussies in the Democratic party.

My advice. Like the other guys said if you want to fight and are physically capable join the Marines or the Army Rangers. If you're more cerebral joining the Navy is a good call. My Uncle was a Sub-Mariner, very smart guy.

you know why the marines were invented?

so the navy could have someone to dance with.

:)

banyon
01-31-2007, 02:38 PM
They are not going to re-enable the draft so don;t worry about it.

I hope this is right, but like I was saying in another thread today, if we go into Iran, the DOD will have no choice but to pull out all of those selective service cards.

banyon
01-31-2007, 02:40 PM
Well everyone thanks for your great advice, and sharing your stories of your service. After reading all of these, I'm not sure the National Guard is the right place for me. As much as I respect the things they do in the United States like boarder patrols in Texas... where University of Iowa National Guard soldiers are right now..... I just don't think thats what I want to do. I'm going to do some more research about the army and marine reserves....

There have been some interesting things posted in this thread, but hopefully you will base your decision on more than just the stuff you read here on the internet.

pikesome
01-31-2007, 02:44 PM
you know why the marines were invented?

so the navy could have someone to dance with.

:)

They stand on the beach and wave their arms so we know where to shoot the guns. And I'm only half joking.

Brock
01-31-2007, 02:46 PM
I hope this is right, but like I was saying in another thread today, if we go into Iran, the DOD will have no choice but to pull out all of those selective service cards.

The DOD doesn't make that call. Elected officials do. That's ONE of the reasons why it will never happen. (short of a chinese invasion)

BIG_DADDY
01-31-2007, 02:55 PM
Well everyone thanks for your great advice, and sharing your stories of your service. After reading all of these, I'm not sure the National Guard is the right place for me. As much as I respect the things they do in the United States like boarder patrols in Texas... where University of Iowa National Guard soldiers are right now..... I just don't think thats what I want to do. I'm going to do some more research about the army and marine reserves....

If I was going in the only area I would avoid is the Army.

Fairplay
01-31-2007, 03:01 PM
One thing that pisses me off here at college is the fact that we are at war, and none of us act like we are affected. We get ****ing drunk 3 or 4 nights a week, buy new clothes, eat out, have nice new t.v.'s, cars, etc....

Thats the american way man.

Frazod
01-31-2007, 03:02 PM

He's the worst goddamn president of my lifetime. My lifetime includes Lyndon Johnson and Richard Nixon. Hell, he may be the worst president EVER.

And prior to his presidency, I was a lifelong Republican.

Adept Havelock
01-31-2007, 03:26 PM
Hey recxjake...did the Guard change their standards, or did your eye fix itself and your spleen spontaneously regenerate?

Yea, I would love to fight in IRAQ, but sadly I have a bad eye and I don't have a spleen so they wont let me... Dont challenge me on this, my cousin, and 3 of my best friends were/are in IRAQ, They support the war and they see that what we are doing is a good thing

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2829966&postcount=54

pikesome
01-31-2007, 03:27 PM
Hell, he may be the worst president EVER.

Wilson. Case Closed. Everything Bush has done Wilson did better (or worse).

|Zach|
01-31-2007, 03:27 PM
Hey recxjake...did the Guard change their standards, or did your eye fix itself and your spleen spontaneously regenerate?

Obviously a miracle brought about by Believer's presence.

Radar Chief
01-31-2007, 03:31 PM
He's the worst goddamn president of my lifetime. My lifetime includes Lyndon Johnson and Richard Nixon. Hell, he may be the worst president EVER.

That’s a shame. Worst president in my lifetime is Carter. Bush has a long ways to go to top him.

Adept Havelock
01-31-2007, 03:32 PM
Obviously a miracle brought about by Believer's presence.

ROFL :clap:

crazycoffey
01-31-2007, 03:32 PM

Wow, strong stance. I have one too. Being a life long anything, when regarding a political stance, is nothing more than idiotic. Voting for a policy strictly for who wrote it; republican or democrat is equally dumb.

Bush 2 is hardly the only responsible person on the hill. But I will tell you this; the world today is a product of people like you "drinking the kool aide" and falling in line with what the "powers that be" tell you, in regards to your political affiliation. I tend to lean more on the republican side for many issues, and may for time to come. I will not let the propaganda like the democrats calling for bush's head, be what decides my vote.

I remember what both parties were saying before we headed into Iraq, and the majority of all agreed with the decision. Now the democrats are using the events of a war (war sucks, it is hell, and there are no rules) to jockey for a presidential candidacy. Wouldn’t it be refreshing to have some one run for office and stand up for his beliefs and stand by them, I can respect that more than finger pointing with no suggestions for solutions.

Fairplay
01-31-2007, 03:34 PM
D.C. forum here i come.

Adept Havelock
01-31-2007, 03:35 PM
D.C. forum here i come.

Right back where recxjake started from....

dum de dum....

banyon
01-31-2007, 03:41 PM
Wilson. Case Closed. Everything Bush has done Wilson did better (or worse).

Bush won WWI?

|Zach|
01-31-2007, 03:44 PM
Not sure.... but I still don't have a spleen, and my left eye is still bad.
You seemed pretty sure it excluded you in that post.

Sully
01-31-2007, 03:45 PM

Oh ****ing SNAP!!!!!

Frazod
01-31-2007, 03:49 PM
Wow, strong stance. I have one too. Being a life long anything, when regarding a political stance, is nothing more than idiotic. Voting for a policy strictly for who wrote it; republican or democrat is equally dumb.

Bush 2 is hardly the only responsible person on the hill. But I will tell you this; the world today is a product of people like you "drinking the kool aide" and falling in line with what the "powers that be" tell you, in regards to your political affiliation. I tend to lean more on the republican side for many issues, and may for time to come. I will not let the propaganda like the democrats calling for bush's head, be what decides my vote.

I remember what both parties were saying before we headed into Iraq, and the majority of all agreed with the decision. Now the democrats are using the events of a war (war sucks, it is hell, and there are no rules) to jockey for a presidential candidacy. Wouldn’t it be refreshing to have some one run for office and stand up for his beliefs and stand by them, I can respect that more than finger pointing with no suggestions for solutions.

So because I no longer support Bush, I drank the kool-aid? Clearly you're too busy spewing forth endless amounts of drivel to read and comprehend other people's posts. I NO LONGER SUPPORT THIS ASSCLOWN. If you're looking for cool-aid drinkers, try anybody who still believes in this jerkoff after six years of lies, bad decisions and crony enrichment.

Adept Havelock
01-31-2007, 03:53 PM

So what was stopping you when I asked the question originally?

Oh...right. Now I remember.

haha... ooo hard ass... you dont have a clue...I'm doing better things with my life then playing in the sand with guns though, but if I had the choice I would be in Irag

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2831811&postcount=101

BTW- One other question:

I dont have any depth perception you ass ****, don't bash me for not going in the armed forces, a lot of people in my family have and they are all rich... I hate this notion that only poor people serve the country... I would if I could, I love this country, I think Presidnet Bush is doing the right thing and I wish I could be the one who was killing the insurgents

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2830607&postcount=99

So they will let you serve with no depth perception? Really? Most states won't even issue you a drivers license, IIRC.

Adept Havelock
01-31-2007, 04:00 PM
I don't have a clue what they will say to me when I go talk to them. I have a bad eye and no spleen... I made those comments 15 months ago... I've changed a lot since then, I have a much better idea of what I'm going to do with my life..... if your trying to insult me, great, but you don't have a ****ing clue who I am, or what I'm all about.

ROFL

I'm not trying to insult you. I'm just trying to reconcile the disparity between those posts and this one.

No, I don't know who you are. I have only the words you've posted to paint that picture. It's hardly my fault that picture is less than flattering IMO.

You had "better things to do than play in the desert with guns". I guess you've reconsidered. Kudos.

BTW- Did your Depth Perception suddenly come back or not?

Chiefnj
01-31-2007, 04:03 PM
I guess that makes me a cool-aid drinker.

Is kool-aid good for people without spleens?

crazycoffey
01-31-2007, 04:04 PM
So because I no longer support Bush, I drank the kool-aid? Clearly you're too busy spewing forth endless amounts of drivel to read and comprehend other people's posts. I NO LONGER SUPPORT THIS ASSCLOWN. If you're looking for cool-aid drinkers, try anybody who still believes in this jerkoff after six years of lies, bad decisions and crony enrichment.

hey kettle, You are a Kool-aide drinker for being a self proclaimed "Life long republican" I take that to mean you voted republican based on it being a republican issue/representative. Not because it was the best issue/representative available.

Now to call him the "worst president ever", seems like you have only decided to drink the kool-aide from the other glass. I suppose this means you will now be a life long democrat?

Every single president has brought elements of good and bad decisions. I will never vote based on party affiliation. I will vote on the issues at hand, and what my moral convictions tell me is the best decision for me, my family, my interests and my country, not in any particular order. If I were to give my belief a party affiliation it would be that I vote "American"

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-31-2007, 04:13 PM

This can be summed up in one word: patteeu.

Adept Havelock
01-31-2007, 04:17 PM
Is kool-aid good for people without spleens?

ROFL

extra good

How is it for people without (or possibly with spontaneously regenerated [as you've not answered the question]) depth perception?

Frazod
01-31-2007, 04:19 PM
hey kettle, You are a Kool-aide drinker for being a self proclaimed "Life long republican" I take that to mean you voted republican based on it being a republican issue/representative. Not because it was the best issue/representative available.

Now to call him the "worst president ever", seems like you have only decided to drink the kool-aide from the other glass. I suppose this means you will now be a life long democrat?

Every single president has brought elements of good and bad decisions. I will never vote based on party affiliation. I will vote on the issues at hand, and what my moral convictions tell me is the best decision for me, my family, my interests and my country, not in any particular order. If I were to give my belief a party affiliation it would be that I vote "American"

I WAS a life long Republican. WAS. As in PAST TENSE. Do you know what that means? Obviously I am NO LONGER a life long Republican. Clearly I have changed my stance, and did vote my conscience and moral convictions. Why are you criticizing me for something I obviously no longer do?

I used to ride a Big Wheel and play with a Fisher Price garage. You going to try to stick that up my ass, too?

Moron.

:shake:

Frazod
01-31-2007, 04:21 PM
This can be summed up in one word: patteeu.
I like to sum it up in four words: abandoned by the party.

Since I am neither filthy rich nor a religious automaton, I really have no place in the new Republican party.

Oregon chief
01-31-2007, 04:23 PM
Bush may not have had the best plan for Iraq, well his advisors and generals didn't. Other then that he has been a stand up guy. I'm glad he was president during and after 9/11. And I'm still glad he is taking the fight to them thank god. These islamic ****ers have been killing americans with immunity for years ****'em, go get em bush.

As for joining the guard you can count on being deployed to afganistan or Iraq. Especially if you are taking a job with a $20,000 bonus. But don't sweat it, it's not that bad. The news blows up the bad stuff and thats all you hear about. Iraq is about the size of California and all the trouble is in baghdad.

crazycoffey
01-31-2007, 04:26 PM
I WAS a life long Republican. WAS. As in PAST TENSE. Do you know what that means? Obviously I am NO LONGER a life long Republican. Clearly I have changed my stance, and did vote my conscience and moral convictions. Why are you criticizing me for something I obviously no longer do?

I used to ride a Big Wheel and play with a Fisher Price garage. You going to try to stick that up my ass, too?

Moron.

:shake:

OK, hypocrite

JohninGpt
01-31-2007, 04:28 PM
...Iraq is about the size of California and all the trouble is in baghdad.
I would also advise being careful in Al Anbar, particularly Ramadi.

Frazod
01-31-2007, 04:29 PM
OK, hypocrite

Go f#ck yourself, idiot.

|Zach|
01-31-2007, 04:30 PM
OK, hypocrite
Well people that vote the party line are shitty in your eyes and then people that seem to switch things when the party doesn't fit anymore seem shitty to you.

There is no pleasing some people.

|Zach|
01-31-2007, 04:31 PM
Iraq is about the size of California and all the trouble is in baghdad.
Wow.

38yrsfan
01-31-2007, 05:12 PM
as with all advice here, grain of salt should be a side platter. I was active duty army and reserve army, Nat guard did a lot of what I did, but were treated a bit lower, because they were at the end of the "funds" line. I would look elsewhere before guards, you're expected to do the same with less and some times with less combined training around you, I did say sometimes. A quick story. I had two airforce neighbors living in army housing one in Heidelberg Germany and one in Ft. Leonardwood, MO. They were both receiving extra money a month to live in substandard living conditions. At least check out the airforce and air guard, the more you know the better the decision you can make.

Yep ... I did time with both Army and Air Force.

We had a saying about the difference the services;

In a standard, same size barracks room the Marines put 8 men, the Army 4 and the Air Force 2 and an air conditioner. Guess which one the females went to :).

BIG_DADDY
01-31-2007, 05:16 PM
I like to sum it up in four words: abandoned by the party.

Since I am neither filthy rich nor a religious automaton, I really have no place in the new Republican party.

BIG GOVERNMENT, check
BIG SPENDING, check
Throw out constitution, check

Yea not the Republican party I remember.

Deberg_1990
01-31-2007, 05:18 PM
IM amazed this thread hasnt found its way to DC yet......wow...

bushmaster
01-31-2007, 05:59 PM

that could be a good thing. 1 less organ for the army docs to remove.

Frazod
01-31-2007, 06:22 PM
IM amazed this thread hasnt found its way to DC yet......wow...

At this point, I hope it does.

crazycoffey
01-31-2007, 06:35 PM
Go f#ck yourself, idiot.

excellent rebuttal, but I'll pass

crazycoffey
01-31-2007, 06:41 PM
Well people that vote the party line are shitty in your eyes and then people that seem to switch things when the party doesn't fit anymore seem shitty to you.

There is no pleasing some people.

I didn't know your vote was meant to please me.

I stated an opinion, voting on a topic based soley on who proposed it isn't smart. IMO. I don't care that he switched sides, that was never my point. It is his right to vote however he wants, my opinion shouldn't have so much weight on the outcome of his vote, or his emotions.

He called me a moron for an opinion. He said I didn't read his post but he took mine out of context, for that I called him a hypocrite.

He over reacted to my comments, IMO.

crazycoffey
01-31-2007, 06:43 PM

In a standard, same size barracks room the Marines put 8 men, the Army 4 and the Air Force 2 and an air conditioner. Guess which one the females went to :).

all three rooms, the freakin whores

Frazod
01-31-2007, 07:01 PM
I didn't know your vote was meant to please me.

I stated an opinion, voting on a topic based soley on who proposed it isn't smart. IMO. I don't care that he switched sides, that was never my point. It is his right to vote however he wants, my opinion shouldn't have so much weight on the outcome of his vote, or his emotions.

He called me a moron for an opinion. He said I didn't read his post but he took mine out of context, for that I called him a hypocrite.

He over reacted to my comments, IMO.
I called you a moron because you're a moron. Much like I call the sky blue because the sky is blue.

You're also an annoying attention whore of epic proportions, and no, that's not a good thing. Is there a single thread left on the BB that you haven't sullied with your prescence? You're a cyber-roach infestation. How can anybody post so much yet say so little? And what the hell did you do before you found this place? Whatever it was, you really should go back.

dtebbe
01-31-2007, 07:15 PM

This is true until bullets start flying... then quite the inverse happens.

Then you might see 8 air force men under 1 bunk.

DT

JohninGpt
01-31-2007, 07:17 PM
This is true until bullets start flying... then quite the inverse happens.

Then you might see 8 air force men under 1 bunk.

DT
You probably won't find them outside the wire.

banyon
01-31-2007, 07:21 PM
HOLY S***!

http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/2516/1627/1600/735403/coffey.jpg

crazycoffey
01-31-2007, 07:32 PM
I called you a moron because you're a moron. Much like I call the sky blue because the sky is blue.

You're also an annoying attention whore of epic proportions, and no, that's not a good thing. Is there a single thread left on the BB that you haven't sullied with your prescence? You're a cyber-roach infestation. How can anybody post so much yet say so little? And what the hell did you do before you found this place? Whatever it was, you really should go back.

blah blah blah, something, something watermellon.

You'll have to try much harder to get me to mirror your hate. I never even said anything directly against your opinion. Except your over the top, all or nothing mentallity, which I think is extreme.

Sorry I have been enjoying myself here, didn't know that was against the rules.

Adept Havelock
01-31-2007, 07:35 PM
HOLY S***!

Indeed. Suddenly I feel much better about my mere 6.25 posts a day, which I thought might be a bit excessive.

crazycoffey
01-31-2007, 07:36 PM
HOLY S***!

It's not accurate, I spent a few days with a few hundred on the beryllium thread for Simplex

banyon
01-31-2007, 07:42 PM
It's not accurate, I spent a few days with a few hundred on the beryllium thread for Simplex

:spock:

Er, what about the other 2717 posts?

http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/2516/1627/320/895955/coffey2.jpg

Adept Havelock
01-31-2007, 07:46 PM

C'mon Banyon...that's only 43.82 posts a day..every day..for the last two months. ROFL

crazycoffey
01-31-2007, 07:47 PM

http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/2516/1627/320/895955/coffey2.jpg

well, a couple hundred off of 2800 would leave 2500, about 600 on 10pm thread. the majority of the rest on game threads, and then the rest just being opinionated, spreading love (not luv) and yelling at Gochiefs.

Adept Havelock
01-31-2007, 07:49 PM
well, a couple hundred off of 2800 would leave 2500, about 600 on 10pm thread. the majority of the rest on game threads, and then the rest just being opinionated, spreading love (not luv) and yelling at Gochiefs.

Well, at least some of it went for yelling at Gochiefs. :thumb:

RP_McMurphy
01-31-2007, 07:50 PM
Most contracts are for eight years. They generally are a mix of active and reserve time. For instance my first contract was for 3 years active, 3 years active reserve time, 2 year inactive reserve time. I reenlisted for 20K in 1989 (6 years active duty) and reserve time went away. In all honesty if you join the military these days more than likely you will be deployed to either Iraq, Afghanistan or the Horn of Africa. This is just a fact of life and don't let anyone else tell you different. Currently for instance the Navy has over 10K on the ground in the Middle East. They are reservists and active duty. Many are on convoy duty as we speak carrying guns and other stuff. Just don't be one of those people who sign up and then wonder why they got deployed. My advice is have fun if you join the military.

banyon
01-31-2007, 07:53 PM

Just an observation that frazod might have a point in there somewhere. I am not going to prosecute you. It just that it's almost double the highest rate I had seen on a profile before. I think it was bill parcells (named Vos now for some reason) who was sitting at around 35/day for a while.

crazycoffey
01-31-2007, 07:53 PM
Well, at least some of it went for yelling at Gochiefs. :thumb:

he's the only one on my list.

Believer is very close

frazod isn't even close to my list

ChiefaRoo
01-31-2007, 09:25 PM

Jimmy Carter was the worst. C'mon you know that.

ChiefaRoo
01-31-2007, 09:29 PM

Try some de-caf my friend. There ya' go.

DenverChief
01-31-2007, 09:33 PM
Why not the Coast Guard? I know it's not fighting in Iraq/Afghanistan but it is still a very noble and vital branch in this war...we need more good young men and women to protect our coastlands and stop the illegal flow of drugs/weapons or you could also go with the Border Patrol guaranteed action in your first duty assignment, Customs Enforcement is always looking for new agents....

Frazod
01-31-2007, 09:37 PM
Try some de-caf my friend. There ya' go.
Since I'm not Crazycoffee, I'll consolidate my response into a single post. What a novel idea. :rolleyes:

1. Yes, Jimmy Carter was a bad president. He is, however, a good man. Bush is a piece of crap as a president and a human being.

2. If I've offended your (or anyone else's) delicate neocon sensitivities by offering my opinion, I can assure you, I don't give a shit.

3. I don't really like coffee, and only drink it in the morning for the caffeine. So decaf is not an option. But thanks for caring.

DenverChief
01-31-2007, 09:40 PM
Why not the Coast Guard? I know it's not fighting in Iraq/Afghanistan but it is still a very noble and vital branch in this war...we need more good young men and women to protect our coastlands and stop the illegal flow of drugs/weapons or you could also go with the Border Patrol guaranteed action in your first duty assignment, Customs Enforcement is always looking for new agents....

BTW I'm not saying that being in the military isn't a wonderful thing but we do need more people to help "us" (law enforcement)

crazycoffey
01-31-2007, 09:43 PM

I actually took my ASVAB test in sedelia missouri for a coast guard recruiter. It snowed the night before and the roads were all white. When I finished the test, my recruiter never showed, but the army guy started to talk to me. I liked his spin and went for it.

DenverChief
01-31-2007, 09:56 PM
I actually took my ASVAB test in sedelia missouri for a coast guard recruiter. It snowed the night before and the roads were all white. When I finished the test, my recruiter never showed, but the army guy started to talk to me. I liked his spin and went for it.

Hooah!

Rausch
01-31-2007, 09:59 PM
BTW I'm not saying that being in the military isn't a wonderful thing but we do need more people to help "us" (law enforcement)

Vegas is hiring... :)

DenverChief
01-31-2007, 10:21 PM
Vegas is hiring... :)
?

Rausch
01-31-2007, 10:30 PM
?

Oh yeah.

The satellite communities are even offering 40-50k to 1st time educators.

The pop growth as dropped a bit but they're still far understaffed in education, law enforcement, etc...

KCJohnny
01-31-2007, 11:39 PM
Forget college money, benefits and other reasons.

The only reason to enlist in the Army is to put the beat down on our nation's enemies. As a member of the greatest team in the history of the world (US Army) you will acrue benfits galore that cannot be measured on a spreadsheet. Being a Warrior is a sacred vocation and its not for everybody. But once in the heat of the battle, you will find yourselves surrounded by outstanding Warriors, led by brilliant and fearless men, and equipped to put the beat down on rogue nations with biblical proportions. Forget you fairies, wimps, pansies and wanna bes. The Army is for MEN who care, MEN who matter, MEN with guts and convictions, MEN who are ready to risk all for TRUTH and JUSTICE. To such men properly belongs the glory and honor of our proud nation. All others need to applaud and salute their beneficiaries.

If you have the guts and the heart to put it all on the line, see your recruiter. Everyone else, watch and learn.

pr_capone
01-31-2007, 11:42 PM

The only reason to enlist in the Army is to put the beat down on our nation's enemies. As a member of the greatest team in the history of the world (US Army) you will acrue benfits galore that cannot be measured on a spreadsheet. Being a Warrior is a sacred vocation and its not for everybody. But once in the heat of the battle, you will find yourselves surrounded by outstanding Warriors, led by brilliant and fearless men, and equipped to put the beat down on rogue nations with biblical proportions. Forget you fairies, wimps, pansies and wanna bes. The Army is for MEN who care, MEN who matter, MEN with guts and convictions, MEN who are ready to risk all for TRUTH and JUSTICE. To such men properly belongs the glory and honor of our proud nation. All others need to applaud and salute their beneficiaries.

If you have the guts and the heart to put it all on the line, see your recruiter. Everyone else, watch and learn.

Jesus Christ you sound like a damn recruiting poster. lol

Just keep in mind that the Army isnt all butterflies and dandylions regardless of how anyone tries to sell it to you.

Its good, I have made life long friends and have seen things that I will never forget, and others that I wish I could only forget.

Oregon chief
01-31-2007, 11:49 PM

Well said!

Oregon chief
01-31-2007, 11:50 PM
Jesus Christ you sound like a damn recruiting poster. lol

Just keep in mind that the Army isnt all butterflies and dandylions regardless of how anyone tries to sell it to you.

Its good, I have made life long friends and have seen things that I will never forget, and others that I wish I could only forget.

Also well said!

crazycoffey
01-31-2007, 11:51 PM
Also well said!

Blood, blood makes the dandylions grow, drill sergant!!!!

KCJohnny
01-31-2007, 11:53 PM
After 14 years, 3 overseas tours, 2 combat deployments and the Combat Action Badge, I can say that being a Soldier is its own reward. If you lack the guts and spine to stand up for your country, stand up on the shoulders of the brave vets that have bequeathed our freedoms to us, if you do not think that a few years of physical sacrifice are not worth sustaining this great and free nation, get the hell away from recruiters and go home. We are a nation of 300 million people relying on the sacrifcies of only 3 million military personnel, and those who are in uniform know the cost of preserving our freedoms, and it has nothing to do with posting bold statements on an internet bulletin board behind some anonymous username. If you lack the courage, forget about the benefits and support those who lay it all on the line.

|Zach|
02-01-2007, 12:00 AM
16 years and thousands of posts trying to get others on a message board validate every single on of those years.

Nice.

crazycoffey
02-01-2007, 12:01 AM
I heart you all

pr_capone
02-01-2007, 12:02 AM
16 years and thousands of posts trying to get others on a message board validate every single on of those years.

Nice.

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

KCJohnny
02-01-2007, 12:05 AM
I pity the fool who lets the 4'10" female recruit put you to shame because SHE is willing to sacrifice all for our country while you plow the couch with the remote. I know such women personally and you should be ashamed because of their guts. Get serious about what is really important and go see your recruiter.

Fish
02-01-2007, 12:06 AM
If you lack the guts and spine to stand up for your country, stand up on the shoulders of the brave vets that have bequeathed our freedoms to us, if you do not think that a few years of physical sacrifice are not worth sustaining this great and free nation, get the hell away from recruiters and go home. ...
If you lack the courage, forget about the benefits and support those who lay it all on the line.

Wow.... you're like that crazy guy from that movie...

crazycoffey
02-01-2007, 12:06 AM
After 14 years, 3 overseas tours, 2 combat deployments and the Combat Action Badge, I can say that being a Soldier is its own reward. If you lack the guts and spine to stand up for your country, stand up on the shoulders of the brave vets that have bequeathed our freedoms to us, if you do not think that a few years of physical sacrifice are not worth sustaining this great and free nation, get the hell away from recruiters and go home. We are a nation of 300 million people relying on the sacrifcies of only 3 million military personnel, and those who are in uniform know the cost of preserving our freedoms, and it has nothing to do with posting bold statements on an internet bulletin board behind some anonymous username. If you lack the courage, forget about the benefits and support those who lay it all on the line.

BTW, did you want to throw the police, fire, and ems service members into the mix of laying it all on the line?

now days even teachers and preachers could stack in this pile too.

I am in no way trying to discard your belief, but I too am a vet and understand from whince you come. but come on, it's 1 am and no one needs to toe a line right now.

KCJohnny
02-01-2007, 12:10 AM
BTW, did you want to throw the police, fire, and ems service members into the mix of laying it all on the line?

I am in no way trying to discard your belief, but I too am a vet and understand from whince you come. but come on, it's 1 am and no one needs to toe a line right now.:BS:

Really?
Our nation is at war in 3 countries and heading for a 4th, and you think no one needs to sign up now? You are a veteran of what?

crazycoffey
02-01-2007, 12:12 AM
:BS:

Really?
Our nation is at war in 3 countries and heading for a 4th, and you think no one needs to sign up now? You are a veteran of what?

Please bold over my quote where I said no one needs to sign up, or discouraged the service, check yourself.

KCJohnny
02-01-2007, 12:17 AM

I am in no way trying to discard your belief, but I too am a vet and understand from whince you come. but come on, it's 1 am and no one needs to toe a line right now.

"Toe the line" means to stand in formation for accountabilty and inspection. If you have been a Platoon Sergeant (Gunny for Marines) then you know what this means and respect it. We need thousands of true patriots to join now and put the beat down on both our enemies abroad and politicians here who fail to understand the prominent role of the US military in shaping world events. If you are against recruiting warriors, I am against you. Be proud to serve your nation in harm's way.

crazycoffey
02-01-2007, 12:23 AM
"Toe the line" means to stand in formation for accountabilty and inspection. If you have been a Platoon Sergeant (Gunny for Marines) then you know what this means and respect it. We need thousands of true patriots to join now and put the beat down on both our enemies abroad and politicians here who fail to understand the prominent role of the US military in shaping world events. If you are against recruiting warriors, I am against you. Be proud to serve your nation in harm's way.

I know what it means I said at zero one hundred hours z time - on a freaking internet board, it wasn't time to take roll call. I encouraged the young starter of this thread to consider all options ie, air force, army or marine reserves and even Coast Guard before jumping at a twenty thousand dollar signing bonus for the national freakin guard. Stand down, asshat.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-01-2007, 12:42 AM

:rolleyes:

From a vet who has seen the horrors of war, and died during them

Wilfred Owen, Dulce et Decorum Est (It is Sweet and Noble)

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
Till on the haunting flares2 we turned our backs
And towards our distant rest3 began to trudge.
Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots
But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;
Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots4
Of tired, outstripped5 Five-Nines6 that dropped behind.

Gas!7 Gas! Quick, boys! – An ecstasy of fumbling,
Fitting the clumsy helmets8 just in time;
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling,
And flound'ring like a man in fire or lime9 . . .
Dim, through the misty panes10 and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
In all my dreams, before my helpless sight,
He plunges at me, guttering,11 choking, drowning.

If in some smothering dreams you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil's sick of sin;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud12
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest13
To children ardent14 for some desperate glory,
The old Lie; Dulce et Decorum est
Pro patria mori.15

8 October 1917 - March, 1918

Jenson71
02-01-2007, 12:47 AM
:rolleyes:

From a vet who has seen the horrors of war, and died during them

Whoa! What a great point. This clears up everything in the world. Thanks. Now we need to make 6 billion copies and rent a jet plane.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-01-2007, 12:51 AM
Whoa! What a great point. This clears up everything in the world. Thanks. Now we need to make 6 billion copies and rent a jet plane.

A perfect example of your life philosophy. Something challenges your belief system, you immediately reject it without thinking about what informs said belief systems. That's pathetic.

Jenson71
02-01-2007, 12:55 AM
A perfect example of your life philosophy. Something challenges your belief system, you immediately reject it without thinking about what informs said belief systems. That's pathetic.

I immediately rejected it because you tried to make a point but completely missed. Keep telling me about my life philosophy. The only points you seem to hit are when you throw china plates at the corner of your coffee table.

crazycoffey
02-01-2007, 12:57 AM

oh, jeez. I'll summarize so your wee lil head can comprehend. Don't rush into anything serious without serious thoughts about the totality of the consequences brought forth by your actions.

seems to me a smart decision - gathering facts and making an educated decision. Nothing wrong with following your heart's path just use your head to map the directions.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-01-2007, 12:59 AM
I immediately rejected it because you tried to make a point but completely missed. Keep telling me about my life philosophy. The only points you seem to hit are when you throw china plates at the corner of your coffee table.

You really are dense. KCJohnny is praising the glory of fighting and dying for your country like he's Alfred f*cking Lord Tennyson, and I responded in kind with a piece on the reality of warfare. If you lack reading comprehension skills, that's not me missing my point, that's me talking above you. I'll bring a leash next time so you can be walked through slowly.

pr_capone
02-01-2007, 01:02 AM
I like this one...

Bivouac Of The Dead
By Theodore O'Hara
(Written in memory of the Kentucky troops killed in the Mexican War - 1847)

Portions Of This Haunting Poem Are Inscribed On Placards
Throughout Arlington, As Well as On
The McClellan Gate There

The muffled drum's sad roll has beat
The soldier's last tattoo;
No more on Life's parade shall meet
That brave and fallen few.
On fame's eternal camping ground
Their silent tents to spread,
And glory guards, with solemn round
The bivouac of the dead.

No rumor of the foe's advance
Now swells upon the wind;
Nor troubled thought at midnight haunts
Of loved ones left behind;
No vision of the morrow's strife
The warrior's dreams alarms;
No braying horn or screaming fife
At dawn shall call to arms.

Their shriveled swords are red with rust,
Their plumed heads are bowed,
Their haughty banner, trailed in dust,
Is now their martial shroud.
And plenteous funeral tears have washed
The red stains from each brow,
And the proud forms, by battle gashed
Are free from anguish now.

The neighing troop, the flashing blade,
The bugle's stirring blast,
The charge, the dreadful cannonade,
The din and shout, are past;
Nor war's wild note, nor glory's peal
Shall thrill with fierce delight
Those breasts that nevermore may feel
The rapture of the fight.

Like the fierce Northern hurricane
That sweeps the great plateau,
Flushed with triumph, yet to gain,
Come down the serried foe,
Who heard the thunder of the fray
Break o'er the field beneath,
Knew the watchword of the day
Was "Victory or death!"

Long had the doubtful conflict raged
O'er all that stricken plain,
For never fiercer fight had waged
The vengeful blood of Spain;
And still the storm of battle blew,
Still swelled the glory tide;
Not long, our stout old Chieftain knew,
Such odds his strength could bide.

Twas in that hour his stern command
Called to a martyr's grave
The flower of his beloved land,
The nation's flag to save.
By rivers of their father's gore
His first-born laurels grew,
And well he deemed the sons would pour
Their lives for glory too.

For many a mother's breath has swept
O'er Angostura's plain --
And long the pitying sky has wept
Above its moldered slain.
The raven's scream, or eagle's flight,
Or shepherd's pensive lay,
Alone awakes each sullen height
That frowned o'er that dread fray.

Sons of the Dark and Bloody Ground
Ye must not slumber there,
Where stranger steps and tongues resound
Along the heedless air.
Your own proud land's heroic soil
Shall be your fitter grave;
She claims from war his richest spoil --
The ashes of her brave.

Thus 'neath their parent turf they rest,
Far from the gory field,
Borne to a Spartan mother's breast
On many a bloody shield;
The sunshine of their native sky
Smiles sadly on them here,
And kindred eyes and hearts watch by
The heroes sepulcher.

Rest on embalmed and sainted dead!
Dear as the blood ye gave;
No impious footstep here shall tread
The herbage of your grave;
Nor shall your glory be forgot
While Fame her record keeps,
For honor points the hallowed spot
Where valor proudly sleeps.

Yon marble minstrel's voiceless stone
In deathless song shall tell,
When many a vanquished ago has flown,
The story how ye fell;
Nor wreck, nor change, nor winter's blight,
Nor time's remorseless doom,
Can dim one ray of glory's light
That gilds your deathless tomb.

Jenson71
02-01-2007, 01:04 AM
You really are dense. KCJohnny is praising the glory of fighting and dying for your country like he's Alfred f*cking Lord Tennyson, and I responded in kind with a piece on the reality of warfare.

No kidding?

That was a really great talk you gave. Once again, clearing everything up.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-01-2007, 01:06 AM
No kidding?

That was a really great talk you gave. Once again, clearing everything up.

Ok, if you sarcastically respond with what I'm doing, acknowledging what I was doing in reference to what KCJohnny was doing, doesn't that signal an implicit acknowledgement that I got the point, since you can clearly see the debate between the two sides, as you claim is so obvious in this post?

Jenson71
02-01-2007, 01:10 AM
Ok, if you sarcastically respond with what I'm doing, acknowledging what I was doing in reference to what KCJohnny was doing, doesn't that signal an implicit acknowledgement that I got the point, since you can clearly see the debate between the two sides, as you claim is so obvious in this post?

Hey man, didn't you see me say how great it was? Seriously, you need to write a book about your greatness after you finish printing off those 6 billion copies.

pr_capone
02-01-2007, 01:11 AM
Hey man, didn't you see me say how great it was? Seriously, you need to write a book about your greatness after you finish printing off those 6 billion copies.

LMAO

way to be an adult about things

Jenson71
02-01-2007, 01:13 AM
LMAO

way to be an adult about things

Me, an adult? I thought I needed a leash to keep up with Dr. Hamas.

Jenson71
02-01-2007, 01:23 AM
History does not repeat itself, Hamas. You like to talk about how smarter you are than some people, why can't someone challenge your rolling eyes and poem? It seems like Believer to me, expect people to call him out for not acting like a Christian as they see it.

****. I don't even agree with anything KcJohnny says. I don't know why I jumped like that. Actually, I'm sorry I did. pr_capone, thanks for calling me out there for acting pretty damn immature.

Maybe it's just cause it's late, but anyway, I'm sorry I did that.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-01-2007, 01:25 AM
History does not repeat itself, Hamas. You like to talk about how smarter you are than some people, why can't someone challenge your rolling eyes and poem? It seems like Believer to me, expect people to call him out for not acting like a Christian as they see it.

****. I don't even agree with anything KcJohnny says. I don't know why I jumped like that. Actually, I'm sorry I did. pr_capone, thanks for calling me out there for acting pretty damn immature.

Maybe it's just cause it's late, but anyway, I'm sorry I did that.
ROFL ROFL

Jenson71
02-01-2007, 01:29 AM
Maybe we can look back at this thread with a bottle of everclear and laugh, cry, throw up, and fall asleep in eachother's arms over it. Someday.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-01-2007, 01:34 AM
Maybe we can look back at this thread with a bottle of everclear and laugh, cry, throw up, and fall asleep in eachother's arms over it. Someday.

The last time I had everclear, I passed out in the shower for 2 hours, sprayed my front porch with puke, and fell asleep naked, quivering amongst a bunch of dirty towels. I'm already having fond memories.

pr_capone
02-01-2007, 01:41 AM
The last time I had everclear, I passed out in the shower for 2 hours, sprayed my front porch with puke, and fell asleep naked, quivering amongst a bunch of dirty towels. I'm already having fond memories.

I DID THE SAME THING!!!!!!!!!

Oregon chief
02-01-2007, 01:23 PM
Im gonna post an email that was forwarded to me. Its more for the guy looking for advice about joining up or not. The email gives a much better picture of what is going on in Iraq.

Oregon chief
02-01-2007, 01:24 PM
This is a portion of an email that I received as a part of a group
forum.
The writer is a pilot serving in Iraq.

In response to some of the questions I have received from you; I did
want
to briefly elaborate on my opinions of some things currently going on
in
Iraq. I am able to catch some of the Iraq highlights on the news and
realize that the media tends to put a negative twist on a large amount
of
what goes on over here. I can honestly say (based on spending my third
consecutive winter here) that the situation is improving, regardless of
what the media continues to report. Yes, there are challenges that
still
lie ahead but we are all proud to be helping the citizens of this
nation
work towards a peaceful outcome. It seems as though the religious
radical
and violent insurgent activities are the only highlights on the news.
Very seldom publicized is what we see first hand; that the majority of
Iraqis are working towards a nation free of violence and are pleased to
no longer be living under a dictatorship as they were four years ago.
The
Iraqi military and police forces continue to train diligently with the
assistance of our military and are beginning to stand on their own to
fight against the insurgents. It is going to take more time but I can
assure you that the progress with the Iraqi military units is moving in
the correct direction. The Iraqi forces often have the lives of their
families threatened and are targeted by insurgents more than coalition
forces but persevere through the challenges and posture effectively
against the insurgency. Morale of the US troops remains high even
though
our forces are worn thin and many units are on their third or fourth
deployment here. We in the aviation community do not entirely exper
ience
the face to face reality of c ombat that the brave Marines and Soldiers
"outside the wire" confront every day. We as pilots strive to provide
the
best support we can but cannot fully appreciate the stresses and fears
experienced by the ground forces while observing it all from two miles
above. The men "outside the wire" are truly heroes who courageously
patrol streets and man outposts in an effort to rid the land of
insurgent
activity. They are attacked from different directions with various
weapons every day; never knowing exactly who or where the enemy is. Our
forces are well-trained, experienced, and disciplined; always careful
not
to target innocent civilians or bystanders. This is not a brave or
symmetric enemy we are fighting by any means; they take cheap shots
every
chance they get and run as quickly as they can. The insurgents are
aware
that we will not harm women or children and have used them to attack
us.making the task of defending oneself increasingly more difficult. A
cell of insurgents recently handed out toy AK-47 rifles to children in
the cities in hopes that the American Soldiers will shoot at the
children. The insurgent intent is to then portray American Soldiers in
an
ugly light with the help of Muslim (and western) media. Despite all of
the complexity involved in providing security for these dangerous areas
amongst an uncivilized enemy, the Marines continue to take on each new
day with a forgiving attitude towards the population and a positive
outlook on the circumstances. Their dedication and devotion to fight
for
this nation's freedom is truly remarkable and admirable. All service
members involved in the campaign for Iraq's freedom are proud of what
we
are doing and know that the mission will be successful in time. I have
typically had very little to say about what we are doing here in Iraq
for
those who have asked. I am not writing this because I am displeased o r
frustrated with the current situation; I am still proud to be doing my
part and honored to be serving with all of the Marines and Soldiers
here.
I simply want many of you to hear from someone with a positive attitude
on things in Iraq vice the pessimistic views shown on television. The
American public is rarely provided an honest account of the situation
over here and is usually informed by reporters and analysts who sit
behind desks reporting their opinion of how the War on Terror is going
never attempting to fully understand the situation. I apologize for
bringing political affairs into the 'quick update' I promised, but it
grows tiring frequently hearing the media portray the efforts of all of
the brave young men and women over here in a negative context. I
realize
there is a great amount of support for the troops at home.but the
country
as a whole should believe in the cause, not ju st the men and women who
are fight ing for it. I hope everyone is enjoying the Holiday Season
and
has a great start to the New Year. Things here are going well; all of
your e-mails, Christmas cards, care packages, and prayers are greatly
appreciated. Thank you for keeping in touch despite the lack of
correspondence on my end. Please know that you are all in my thoughts
and
prayers and I look forward to seeing everyone in a few months...

crazycoffey
02-01-2007, 01:25 PM
I am looking forward to it. About time this thread got back on topic

Sully
02-07-2007, 09:14 AM
So....any news on joining up, rex?

redbrian
02-07-2007, 10:07 AM

Yes she could, does Carter ring a bell, far worse than what we have now.

Frazod
02-07-2007, 10:14 AM
Yes she could, does Carter ring a bell, far worse than what we have now.

Yeah, whatever. How about we let this week old piece of shit die or move it to DC?

trndobrd
02-07-2007, 11:23 AM

The only reason to enlist in the Army is to put the beat down on our nation's enemies.

Sounds like you wouldn't have any problem working for free. Perhaps your paycheck could be better spent reducing the national debt or something.