PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Laptop for College

gblowfish
01-31-2007, 02:00 PM
A good friend of mine's daughter has decided to start back to school to finish her degree. My friend and I both use Macintosh computers, but most of the school stuff requires Windows. I know nothing about Windows laptops. I have a MacBookPro that I love, but we need a Windows PC for this job.

Those of you Windows afficianados who have laptops: What would be adequate for a student (hard drive, speed, ram) and does anybody have a favorite model or place to buy? Dell? Sony? Toshiba?

Sure would appreciate some helpful advice. Thanks guys.

boogblaster
01-31-2007, 02:03 PM
Dont know about other colleges but WSU uses Windows XP..

CoMoChief
01-31-2007, 02:07 PM
Dont get a Mac for someone in college.

JBucc
01-31-2007, 02:08 PM
For just school stuff almost anything will do. I'd say a minimum of 512 MB of RAM and 80GB hard drive. Also if it doesn't have built in wireless be sure to get a wireless card. Other than that just find the best deal. I don't really have a brand preference, I have an Acer right now that works fine.

recxjake
01-31-2007, 02:26 PM
HP... good computer, good price

NewChief
01-31-2007, 02:29 PM
I have an IBM Thinkpad for work. Very compact and light. I can basically carry it around, opened up, like a notepad and enter grades and the like in the classroom while connected to the network via wireless. It runs well, as far as Windows machines go.

Anyong Bluth
01-31-2007, 02:44 PM
I have a Gateway Ultra-portable E-100M. I really like it, and I think CNET has a review on it that is very favorable. Its has given me zero problems, and weighs around 3lbs. The screen is smaller, but in widescreen/16:9 format, so it doesn't feel like you have a very cramped desktop to work with!

If you wait a little bit it should come loaded with Vista- as it is already compatible. Also, make sure to check out educational discounts- they usually knock off a nice chunk of change for ya.

Here is the "education" version:

http://gateway.com/products/gconfig/proddetails.asp?seg=ed&system_id=e100mbp
http://gateway.com/img/prod/viewlarger/E100Mb.jpg

Stewie
01-31-2007, 02:48 PM
This is a heck of a deal and should fulfill her needs. You get a $150 reward card when purchased.

http://www.nfm.com/Handlers/Ads.ashx?ID=429

The Rick
01-31-2007, 02:49 PM
Since you like Macs, why not advise them to get a Macbook and set it up to dual-boot into Windows when necessary using Apple's Boot Camp?

Brock
01-31-2007, 02:49 PM
I don't know nuthin' about this stuff, but both of my college bound kids are sporting new Alienware notebooks now.

gblowfish
01-31-2007, 02:51 PM
That's all excellent advice, thanks guys.

HonestChieffan
01-31-2007, 02:52 PM
what rick said...

Oh spend a lot and in two years you spend a lot again...buy the extended warentee

gblowfish
01-31-2007, 02:53 PM
Since you like Macs, why not advise them to get a Macbook and set it up to dual-boot into Windows when necessary using Apple's Boot Camp?In order to run windows appls like Word, Excel, Powerpoint, you have to buy Windows for Mac, which is expensive. Most of the college stuff is Word docs or Excel spreadsheets. The Mac OS doesn't come with anything Windows.

Hey, I love my Mac. But I've spent a buttload of bucks on software!

Pitt Gorilla
01-31-2007, 02:56 PM
A MacBookPro can run Windows applications through boot camp. I have a buddy who was a PC guy that bought a MBP and he loves the ability to use both systems.

ndbbm
01-31-2007, 02:59 PM
I have a Dell Latitude D820. It does everything I need and more. Worth a a look for sure. She could get away with the D620 too. Cheaper and still nice.

Delano
01-31-2007, 03:03 PM
I have a Toshiba Satellite that has Centrino mobile technology. I think the Centrino package has a pretty adaptable wireless card as well as a processor that is battery friendly yet fairly powerful. I bought the Toshiba from Best Buy during a nice sale. If you go this route make sure to buy a warranty direct from Toshiba. The manufactorer's extended warranty covered more than Best Buy and it was significantly cheaper.

I have been happy with the computer but I will admit there were a few glitches that had to be fixed under the warranty. I had a motherboard replaced as well as the cooling system.

Simplex3
01-31-2007, 03:11 PM
Two words:

Dell refurb.

Get the extended warranty and you'll get twice the laptop for the same price. I've had my reburb D800 for 4 years and never an issue.

Silock
01-31-2007, 03:24 PM
Dont get a Mac for someone in college.

Why not?

In any case, just get a MacBook Pro and dual-boot Windows XP and OS X. If you buy Parallels desktop, you can actually run both at the same time. Having the XP start button underneath the apple menu can be fun.

the Talking Can
01-31-2007, 03:41 PM
Two words:

Dell refurb.

Get the extended warranty and you'll get twice the laptop for the same price. I've had my reburb D800 for 4 years and never an issue.

seriously, check this out...I was browsing yesterday and found a Latitude (i think) with Dual Core 2 processor, 2GB memory, and 120 GB hard drive for $680...

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-31-2007, 04:02 PM
I use a Dell Inspiron 2200 for school purposes. Paid only about 600 for it last September...but I carry it to class and use it for A/V purposes from time to time...in my experience in college and grad school, most students are better served with a desktop than a laptop....

OnTheWarpath58
03-14-2007, 08:14 PM
In order to run windows appls like Word, Excel, Powerpoint, you have to buy Windows for Mac, which is expensive. Most of the college stuff is Word docs or Excel spreadsheets. The Mac OS doesn't come with anything Windows.

You should be able to get Office 2004 for Mac for under $100 with the Educational Discount.....

irishjayhawk
03-14-2007, 09:38 PM
Get them a Mac. It's becoming increasingly popular on campus.

Boot Camp, Parallels, MS Office for Mac, Open Office.org, iWork, etc etc. Too many reasons.

DaKCMan AP
03-14-2007, 09:44 PM
My advice: get something light!!!

It's a pain in the ass having to lug a heavy laptop around campus in addition to books/notes/etc.

Skip Towne
03-14-2007, 09:48 PM
I don't know nuthin' about this stuff, but both of my college bound kids are sporting new Alienware notebooks now.
I had no idea you were that old.

Thig Lyfe
03-14-2007, 10:25 PM
In order to run windows appls like Word, Excel, Powerpoint, you have to buy Windows for Mac, which is expensive. Most of the college stuff is Word docs or Excel spreadsheets. The Mac OS doesn't come with anything Windows.

Why on earth would you intentionally use Microsoft Office?

Rausch
03-14-2007, 10:28 PM
Buy the cheapest laptop you can and spend your money on a good PC/Tower.

Laptops are expensive, a pain to upgrade, and become obsolete quickly. They're easy to steal, break, and **** up in ways you don't think of.

Pants
03-15-2007, 12:00 AM

LOL, your kids owned you. Unless of course they payed for the Alienware comps themselves.

Alienware is good. They used to make the best laptops (read: most powerful) a couple of years ago, but I don't know about now, haven't had much interest in them as of late.

Pants
03-15-2007, 12:03 AM
Buy the cheapest laptop you can and spend your money on a good PC/Tower.

Laptops are expensive, a pain to upgrade, and become obsolete quickly. They're easy to steal, break, and **** up in ways you don't think of.

I agree. I got a laptop my freshman year in college and it f***ing sucked balls. Sure it was nice to able to take it places, but shit, laptops are evil. Maybe if you buy a really high end one, it's a different story, I don't know.

cdcox
03-15-2007, 08:18 AM
I've only used a lap top the last 5 years. Having more than one computer is too much of a pain. Since it is the only one I have, I sacrafice weight for a bigger monitor and keyboard.

My only problem with laptops is that I have lost two hard drives. Not too big of an issue if you have your data backed up.