PDA

View Full Version : Disturbing tidbit from my Adolescent Psychology class today

OnTheWarpath58
01-31-2007, 04:35 PM
This may be something many of you are aware of already. My wife and I don't have kids, and I would have never known this if it wasn't for my professor bringing this up in class today.....

Anyway, we're discussing eating disorders, anorexia specifically.

There are actually websites that ENCOURAGE young women to be anorexic. They go by names like "pro-ana" and "thinspiration" Here is a google search for "pro-ana".....

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=pro+ana&btnG=Google+Search

As many if not all of you know, eating disorders are a disease. Much like alchoholics and drug addicts. It's just not as easy as telling an anorexic to eat something......

How ****ed in the head do you have to be to intentionally encourage another human being to destroy themselves? These websites even give anorexics tips and tricks to give the illusion that they've gained weight, so parents, doctors and friends will think they're getting better. This is from one of the websites:

The Thin Commandments

1. If you aren't thin you aren't attractive.

2. Being thin is more important than being healthy.

3. You must buy clothes, cut your hair, take laxatives, starve yourself, do anything to make yourself look thinner.

4. Thou shall not eat without feeling guilty.

5. Thou shall not eat fattening food without punishing oneself afterwards.

6. Thou shall count calories and restrict intake accordingly.

7. What the scale says is the most important thing.

8. Losing weight is good/ gaining weight is bad.

9. You can never be too thin.

10. Being thin and not eating are signs of true will power and success.

Some of these websites say the goal should be death. What if your daughter was reading these websites?

Anyway, this has been bothering me all day. Thought I'd see what the Planet has to say. I'm sure there will be some smartasses.

Adept Havelock
01-31-2007, 04:39 PM
Sad. Just sad. Cheering each other on in a race towards death.

IMO, it's even sadder because it's driven by the peculiar idea held by many guys in this society that looking like Ms. Auschwitz-Buchenwald 1945 is actually attractive.

Skip Towne
01-31-2007, 04:43 PM
So, what's the problem?

OnTheWarpath58
01-31-2007, 04:46 PM
Sad. Just sad. Cheering each other on in a race towards death.

IMO, it's even sadder because it's driven by the peculiar idea held by many guys in this society that looking like Ms. Auschwitz-Buchenwald 1945 is actually attractive.

Believe it or not, eating disorders in males is on the rise.

There are several driving forces, but IMO the media is enemy #1.

Kids are already prone to having a distorted body image, especially girls. Every magazine over on the rack having a 102 pound supermodel on it isn't helping the cause. Our culture demands thinness.

Delano
01-31-2007, 04:47 PM
I've seen Pro-Anorexia groups around my campus. None of the girls were skinny enough for my taste.

SLAG
01-31-2007, 04:47 PM
So, what's the problem?

http://static.sky.com/images/pictures/1493413.jpg

She would be so hot if she just put some lbs on

bogie
01-31-2007, 04:48 PM
It is very sad. My 8 year old daughter once said she didn't want to wear her heavy winter coat because it made her look fat. I was very disturbed by this statement. We had a long discussion about beauty is only skin deep. I hope I got through to her.

JBucc
01-31-2007, 04:49 PM
Women are stupid. That's the problem.

OnTheWarpath58
01-31-2007, 04:50 PM
Saw an interview in class today with a 29 year old woman who was 5'5" and weighed......

39 pounds.

You can't even imagine.

You could tell her body was literally shutting down. Her brain had turned to mush. She looked like she was in her 60's.

She died a couple of weeks after the interview.

Fairplay
01-31-2007, 04:53 PM
Someone e-mail Rosie O'Donnel that website.

SLAG
01-31-2007, 04:57 PM
http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,169660,00.html

good time article here

thehead
01-31-2007, 04:59 PM
Someone e-mail Rosie O'Donnel that website.

:clap: She needs it for her fat mouth

RJ
01-31-2007, 05:04 PM
This may be something many of you are aware of already. My wife and I don't have kids, and I would have never known this if it wasn't for my professor bringing this up in class today.....

Anyway, we're discussing eating disorders, anorexia specifically.

There are actually websites that ENCOURAGE young women to be anorexic. They go by names like "pro-ana" and "thinspiration" Here is a google search for "pro-ana".....

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=pro+ana&btnG=Google+Search

As many if not all of you know, eating disorders are a disease. Much like alchoholics and drug addicts. It's just not as easy as telling an anorexic to eat something......

How ****ed in the head do you have to be to intentionally encourage another human being to destroy themselves? These websites even give anorexics tips and tricks to give the illusion that they've gained weight, so parents, doctors and friends will think they're getting better. This is from one of the websites:
The Thin Commandments

1. If you aren't thin you aren't attractive.

2. Being thin is more important than being healthy.

3. You must buy clothes, cut your hair, take laxatives, starve yourself, do anything to make yourself look thinner.

4. Thou shall not eat without feeling guilty.

5. Thou shall not eat fattening food without punishing oneself afterwards.

6. Thou shall count calories and restrict intake accordingly.

7. What the scale says is the most important thing.

8. Losing weight is good/ gaining weight is bad.

9. You can never be too thin.

10. Being thin and not eating are signs of true will power and success.

Some of these websites say the goal should be death. What if your daughter was reading these websites?

Anyway, this has been bothering me all day. Thought I'd see what the Planet has to say. I'm sure there will be some smartasses.

That sounded odd to me so I googled. Those "thin commandments" are from an eating disorder center. Not that it changes anything else you posted, just thought you'd want to know since you're taking a class. Here's a link....

http://www.edreferral.com/thin_commandments.htm

OnTheWarpath58
01-31-2007, 05:14 PM
That sounded odd to me so I googled. Those "thin commandments" are from an eating disorder center. Not that it changes anything else you posted, just thought you'd want to know since you're taking a class. Here's a link....

http://www.edreferral.com/thin_commandments.htm

The Thin Commandments are the code that Pro-anorexics live by. The author of the website you linked to is trying to eliminate these beliefs from their clients thougth process.

Here's the site I pulled them from, but they are on MANY pro-ana websites...

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/ana100/

KCChiefsMan
01-31-2007, 05:34 PM
wow, thats horrible

RJ
01-31-2007, 05:36 PM
Wow, that's some f***ed up folks right there. When I read the "anorexia creed" I thought it must be a joke, but apparently not.

Ana Creed

I believe in Control, the only force mighty enough to bring order to the chaos that is my world.

I believe that I am the most vile, worthless and useless person ever to have existed on this planet, and that I am totally unworthy of anyone's time and attention.

I believe that other people who tell me differently must be idiots. If they could see how I really am, then they would hate me almost as much as I do.

I believe in oughts, musts and shoulds as unbreakable laws to determine my daily behaviour.

I believe in perfection and strive to attain it.

I believe in salvation through trying just a bit harder than I did yesterday.

I believe in calorie counters as the inspired word of god, and memorise them accordingly.

I believe in bathroom scales as an indicator of my daily successes and failures.

I believe in hell, because I sometimes think that I'm living in it.

I believe in a wholly black and white world, the losing of weight, recrimination for sins, the abnegation of the body and a life ever fasting.

boogblaster
01-31-2007, 05:51 PM
Not me Im king-size an like it ...

NewChief
01-31-2007, 06:05 PM
Yeah. There are some weird groups that "worship" Anorexia as a god, Anna. And Bulimiea has some other weird "god" name: Mia or some crap. It's insane. You want to look up some other weird shit, google "teen cutting" sometime.

eazyb81
01-31-2007, 06:16 PM
Yeah. There are some weird groups that "worship" Anorexia as a god, Anna. And Bulimiea has some other weird "god" name: Mia or some crap. It's insane. You want to look up some other weird shit, google "teen cutting" sometime.

Now THAT is some f#cked up shit.

OnTheWarpath58
01-31-2007, 06:52 PM

:shake:

Jesus.

What has changed in the past 20 years to make these kids think they have it so bad?

This is some sad shit.

BigVE
01-31-2007, 08:09 PM
Its sad that a few guys have to jump in every thread and try to be funny.

My little girl is fighting this right now....NO she is NOT anorexic but kids at school call her anorexic because she is thin. But in reality she is actually a bit heavier than the "suggested" weight for her age PLUS she is already 5'8 and she is just 13 yrs. old. But the problem is the peer pressure. She will still come home in tears occasionally because someone calls her fat. Just kids stuff for sure but for some it hurts more than others. Me and her mom talk to her and comfort her all the time but I worry that the peer pressure will be stronger than our words of comfort. I dont honestly think thats its serious but I do feel that some day it could be because of the psychological effects of those few insensitive people around her.

banyon
01-31-2007, 08:13 PM
Depending on what state a victim (to death or incapacity) keels over in from this tripe, the owners of the site could face serious criminal liability here.

stevieray
01-31-2007, 08:17 PM

Jesus.

What has changed in the past 20 years to make these kids think they have it so bad?

This is some sad shit.

broken homes.

Simplex3
01-31-2007, 08:20 PM
No offense, but who are you (or I) to judge them? Is it outside of what we consider the norm? Sure. Is it dangerous to anyone other than themselves? Not that I can tell.

Joie
01-31-2007, 08:31 PM
broken homes.

Not always. Most of the girls I have known with eating disorders were from 2 parent homes. Some even from affluent families. It's not always about what happens in her home. It's how she reacts in her head.

RJ
01-31-2007, 08:38 PM
No offense, but who are you (or I) to judge them? Is it outside of what we consider the norm? Sure. Is it dangerous to anyone other than themselves? Not that I can tell.

If it's kids I think it's for all of us to judge them. It is certainly for all of us to look after them.

stevieray
01-31-2007, 08:38 PM
Not always. Most of the girls I have known with eating disorders were from 2 parent homes. Some even from affluent families. It's not always about what happens in her home. It's how she reacts in her head.

I didn't say it caused anorexia.. I said that's a major change from twenty years ago. Girls just want to be loved..an emotionally absent father can do as much damge as an absent father.

IMO, it comes back to self image and self worth...something you get from your parent(s)...regardless of class.

OnTheWarpath58
01-31-2007, 08:46 PM
If it's kids I think it's for all of us to judge them. It is certainly for all of us to look after them.

Damn right.

Simplex - Let's say you have a 15 year old daughter. She's battling anorexia, and being the fantastic parent you are, are doing everything in your power to get her the help she needs to beat this mental illness.

But she's not getting better. Is it because anorexia is so tough to beat? Or is it becuase she found one of these pro-ana website who are promoting it as a "lifestyle choice" rather than what it is....a mental illness.

Kids who are already in an incredibly fragile psychological state shouldn't be subjected to this "race to death" mentality, as someone put it earlier. These websites sabotoge the work mental health professionals are doing to help these young people afflicted with this disease.

Joie
01-31-2007, 08:49 PM
I didn't say it caused anorexia.. I said that's a major change from twenty years ago. Girls just want to be loved..an emotionally absent father can do as much damge as an absent father.

IMO, it comes back to self image and self worth...something you get from your parent(s)...regardless of class.

This is true. Just as a mother who puts more emphasis on looks than anything else can damage a girl.Teenage girls are fragile creatures. To be honest I was thinking of a specific girl I went to high school with. Her parents were together, and wealthy and did very little to help her feel good about herself.

Joie
01-31-2007, 08:51 PM

The thing is that it is. It's hard on the entire family and anyone who loves the girl. Not to mention any other girls teetering on the edge of health that may look to her as a rolemodel.

Otter
01-31-2007, 08:52 PM
Have you seen the members photos?

OnTheWarpath58
01-31-2007, 08:52 PM
This is true. Just as a mother who puts more emphasis on looks than anything else can damage a girl.Teenage girls are fragile creatures. To be honest I was thinking of a specific girl I went to high school with. Her parents were together, and wealthy and did very little to help her feel good about herself.

Other than the media, this situation is also a huge cause. Not only does she think she has to look like Kate Moss because the media says/implies she does, she's doing it to "please" her parents. If the girl in question also has a perfectionist personality, she'll stop at nothing to obtain her goal.

OnTheWarpath58
01-31-2007, 08:54 PM
Have you seen the members photos?

No, but after seeing the video of the 5'5" 39 pound girl, I don't think much could shock me.

RJ
01-31-2007, 08:54 PM
Its sad that a few guys have to jump in every thread and try to be funny.

My little girl is fighting this right now....NO she is NOT anorexic but kids at school call her anorexic because she is thin. But in reality she is actually a bit heavier than the "suggested" weight for her age PLUS she is already 5'8 and she is just 13 yrs. old. But the problem is the peer pressure. She will still come home in tears occasionally because someone calls her fat. Just kids stuff for sure but for some it hurts more than others. Me and her mom talk to her and comfort her all the time but I worry that the peer pressure will be stronger than our words of comfort. I dont honestly think thats its serious but I do feel that some day it could be because of the psychological effects of those few insensitive people around her.

BigVE, that's a sad story. At 5'8" your daughter is a tall girl and we all know that anything that makes a teenager stand out can make their life miserable. Short, tall, thin, fat, smart, dumb.....it can be a tough job being a teenager.

The good news is that over the next few years she'll grow into herself. Those other kids, especially the boys, will catch up to her height pretty soon and in the meantime she has loving parents to help her along.

Rausch
01-31-2007, 09:14 PM
You can show me all the evidence you want that it's a disease and you won't convince me.

It's ****ing vanity and stupidity. Just like eating too much is gluttony and stupidity.

Not only is this a problem isolated to the middle/upper class but it's mostly in western cultures. There aren't may anorexic Somalians, homeless, or Eskimoes.

That said I completely agree the webmasters of those sites should have their genitals sprayed with blood and dipped in a tank with "anorexic" pirinah...

mikey23545
01-31-2007, 10:08 PM
It's not a mental illness, it is stupidity on an unimaginable scale.

Sorry, there is no argument to dispute that fact.

listopencil
01-31-2007, 10:57 PM

Politically I'm a Libertarian and philosophically I'm somewhat of an egoist but I recognise that there are some mental disorders that destroy your ability to make rational decisions. I believe that these are examples of just such a mental disorder.

BWillie
01-31-2007, 11:08 PM
Personally, I like 'em 5-3 and 99 pounds. Let me assure you, anorexia isn't near of a problem in this country as being overweight. If you think you are fat, well you probably are. Anorexics are pretty far between IMO. I've known some anorexic girls, it's pretty easy to tell what is going on, and get some help for them. They end up being health conscious and staying healthy thin after that it seems to me.

Simplex3
01-31-2007, 11:17 PM
Damn right.

Simplex - Let's say you have a 15 year old daughter. She's battling anorexia, and being the fantastic parent you are, are doing everything in your power to get her the help she needs to beat this mental illness.

But she's not getting better. Is it because anorexia is so tough to beat? Or is it becuase she found one of these pro-ana website who are promoting it as a "lifestyle choice" rather than what it is....a mental illness.

Kids who are already in an incredibly fragile psychological state shouldn't be subjected to this "race to death" mentality, as someone put it earlier. These websites sabotoge the work mental health professionals are doing to help these young people afflicted with this disease.
I have a daughter, she's 5. I do my best to raise her and instill my values in her, but if she choses a different path there's not a damn thing I can do about it but try and convince her otherwise.

What makes everyone so sure it's a mental illness? I know a bunch of snapperheads that went to college said so, but what makes you so sure? Why is believing in Ana any more or less dumb than believing in any God? Why make a values judgment about their choice when you aren't standing in their shoes?

Simplex3
01-31-2007, 11:19 PM
The thing is that it is. It's hard on the entire family and anyone who loves the girl. Not to mention any other girls teetering on the edge of health that may look to her as a rolemodel.
So you're passing judgment on her not for HER sake, but for the sake of those around her who are incapable of dealing with her decision. Gotcha.

Simplex3
01-31-2007, 11:22 PM
Politically I'm a Libertarian and philosophically I'm somewhat of an egoist but I recognise that there are some mental disorders that destroy your ability to make rational decisions. I believe that these are examples of just such a mental disorder.
What makes them irrational? Why do we immediately dismiss the possibility that, from where they are, this is a rational decision?

Bill Parcells
01-31-2007, 11:30 PM

Jesus.

This is some sad shit.
The internet and cable TV...I grew up without it..sounds like you did too

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-01-2007, 12:39 AM
I've heard of this before...but in reality, this is just an overt version of what the media tells you every day. It's uncomfortable to think about, but by no means is it false.

Simplex3
02-01-2007, 01:46 AM
Well, I'm off to bed. Goodnight all.

Jenson71
02-01-2007, 01:49 AM
Well, I'm off to bed. Goodnight all.

Before you go, Gochiefs wanted me to ask you if he could bundle with you tonight.

mcan
02-01-2007, 02:29 AM
These sites are a natural reaction for anybody with any kind of vice.

People like to CELEBRATE their inadaquacies and problems so they don't have to change. Get enough people saying that it's OK, and all the sudden you convince yourself that it IS.

I dare you to name a single vice that is universally demonized.

Here is how I see it. These people aren't starving themselves because the media tells them to. These people are starving themselves as a backlash to the morbid obesity that they see all around them, all the time. They aren't aspiring to look like Mary Kate, so much as they are PETRIFIED of looking like Roseanne. They could weigh 97 pounds, and still try and starve themselves because they have a "pooch" when they eat, and the "pooch" reminds them of disgusting fat fatties. If they really wanted to look like a Victoria's Secret model, they would do what those models do... Exercise like crazy, and eat clean foods. It's not about looking good, or being healthy. It's about avoiding what they have come to HATE. Fat.

NewChief
02-01-2007, 05:43 AM
What makes them irrational? Why do we immediately dismiss the possibility that, from where they are, this is a rational decision?

So you feel the same way about cutting? If cutting herself seems like a rational decision to your daughter, you'll be all for it?

BigRedChief
02-01-2007, 07:09 AM
You can show me all the evidence you want that it's a disease and you won't convince me.

It's ****ing vanity and stupidity. Just like eating too much is gluttony and stupidity.

Not only is this a problem isolated to the middle/upper class but it's mostly in western cultures. There aren't may anorexic Somalians, homeless, or Eskimoes.

That said I completely agree the webmasters of those sites should have their genitals sprayed with blood and dipped in a tank with "anorexic" pirinah...
Yes, it's a culture thing not a disease. Do poor blacks have this disorder? How about rich Asians? nope, its a white suburban middle to upper class thing.
It's just a bad choice these women make. High school football players taking steriods is along the same lines.

Simplex3
02-01-2007, 07:59 AM
So you feel the same way about cutting? If cutting herself seems like a rational decision to your daughter, you'll be all for it?
I never said I was all for it, but it's not my decision to make. I'll certainly try and find out if there's some point of pain that's driving her there, and if so try and alleviate it, but to judge and say she's sick? I seem to remember many religions that use/support one form of self-mutilation or another. Does that make them sick?

OnTheWarpath58
02-01-2007, 08:05 AM
Two things before I head to class:

1) This is not exclusive to white females. The group with the highest rise in the past 5 years are hispanic, followed very closely by blacks. White girls are mere percentage points above them.

2) For those of you who think it's a matter of vanity and not a disease: Explain to me why when a girl starved herself down around the 90-100 pound mark, she doesn't quit? No rational thinking person would continue to starve themselves down to a life threatening 39 pounds because they are thinking rationally that this is how they are supposed to look.

Gotta run, I'll check in on this later, it's a good conversation.....

crazycoffey
02-01-2007, 08:08 AM
I never said I was all for it, but it's not my decision to make. I'll certainly try and find out if there's some point of pain that's driving her there, and if so try and alleviate it, but to judge and say she's sick? I seem to remember many religions that use/support one form of self-mutilation or another. Does that make them sick?

Hey, simplex, don't you find it funny on many topics here if you don't totally agree with someone, then you must be totally against them.

Attention people of the planet there are not many issues that are totally one sided. there are virtually hundreds of opinions, perspectives and degrees of distain or acceptance on almost any given topic. If someone doesn't agree one hundred percent with your diagnosis, don't try and change thier opinions or take their words out of context.

It's ooooookaaaaaayyyyyy, let's simplify the offensive topics.

stevieray
02-01-2007, 08:14 AM
I find it ironic that women were tired as being seen as sex objects, fought for equal rights, and now it's more prevelant than ever.

Again, women just want to be loved...and will go to extremes to get it..even to the point of trying not to grow older.

Simplex3
02-01-2007, 08:20 AM
2) For those of you who think it's a matter of vanity and not a disease: Explain to me why when a girl starved herself down around the 90-100 pound mark, she doesn't quit? No rational thinking person would continue to starve themselves down to a life threatening 39 pounds because they are thinking rationally that this is how they are supposed to look.
We all do things that appear stupid to others because this is how we do them.

Simplex3
02-01-2007, 08:24 AM
I find it ironic that women were tired as being seen as sex objects, fought for equal rights, and now it's more prevelant than ever.

Again, women just want to be loved...and will go to extremes to get it..even to the point of trying not to grow older.
The more we get the thing we asked for the less we want it.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-01-2007, 08:29 AM

Yeah, because women are never told by the media what to look like, how big their tits should be, what to wear and what to eat from the time they are 5 years old. It must be that they can't take care of themselves and deserve to be barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen.

Simplex3
02-01-2007, 08:33 AM
Yeah, because women are never told by the media what to look like, how big their tits should be, what to wear and what to eat from the time they are 5 years old. It must be that they can't take care of themselves and deserve to be barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen.
This is an opinion *I* can certainly live with.

stevieray
02-01-2007, 08:35 AM

:rolleyes:

dude, don't preach to me about the media..I've got two daughters 10 and 13.

Simplex3
02-01-2007, 08:36 AM
Women have also been "brainwashed" ( ;) ) by the feminist movement that they can't be happy and equal until they have a full and complete career THEN have kids, only to find out that by the time they get around to kids they're infertile. It comes from all angles.

stevieray
02-01-2007, 08:36 AM
The more we get the thing we asked for the less we want it.

:clap:

BigRedChief
02-01-2007, 08:38 AM
Two things before I head to class:

1) This is not exclusive to white females. The group with the highest rise in the past 5 years are hispanic, followed very closely by blacks. White girls are mere percentage points above them.

Gotta run, I'll check in on this later, it's a good conversation.....
I'll not dispute the racial #'s because I have no knowledge of any scientific research that says differently and too lazy to do some google searching.

Is it rational for the high school player to take steriods. For a high school lineman to bulk up to 300 lbs? It's runing his body but he's doing it because he feels its expected of him by society if he wants to achieve his goals of a college free ride or playing in the pros.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-01-2007, 09:11 AM
:rolleyes:

dude, don't preach to me about the media..I've got two daughters 10 and 13.

And I have a wife who's 24, and have had about 60 female students between the ages of 18-20 in the last year. It doesn't mean I know what the pressures are of being a woman in modern society, especially in regard to media bombardment and body image, but I know that they are there, and for you to blame this on the feminist movement just shows a staggering amount of stupidity.

Chief Chief
02-01-2007, 09:20 AM
The Thin Commandments: Required reading for Camryn Mannheim, Roseanne Barr, and Nell Carter (whoops - too late!).

stevieray
02-01-2007, 09:36 AM
And I have a wife who's 24, and have had about 60 female students between the ages of 18-20 in the last year. It doesn't mean I know what the pressures are of being a woman in modern society, especially in regard to media bombardment and body image, but I know that they are there, and for you to blame this on the feminist movement just shows a staggering amount of stupidity.

I'm not blaming this on the feminist movement..I said it's ironic how the movement appears to have propigated what it was against. There are many mitigating factors...I feel for young girls today...

is this about women or your need to call people stupid?