PDA

View Full Version : No rush on contract for L.J.. KC Star article

BigRedChief
02-01-2007, 09:47 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/16592548.htm

Johnson’s current deal is below market value, but he isn’t pressing the issue with ultimatums.
By RANDY COVITZ
The Kansas City Star

MIAMI | Chiefs running back Larry Johnson’s representative has had some brief discussions with the club concerning a new contract, but Johnson isn’t pressing the issue with ultimatums.

“It’s something the team is looking to do, and we’re excited about the opportunity to do it,” said Johnson’s agent, Alvin Keels, at a Super Bowl function on Wednesday. “We’re just talking right now.”

Johnson has three more years left on his original contract signed in 2003 that is scheduled to pay him $850,000 in 2007, far below market value for one of the NFL’s premier running backs.

“It’s out of my hands,” Johnson said. “It’s the same thing as going in with the deal when I was a rookie. It doesn’t bother me. I’m fine. It’s more about trying to win the Super Bowl. I’m not trying to win ‘Richest Man Alive.’ ”

Johnson, who ranked second in the NFL in rushing with 1,789 yards and set an NFL record with 416 carries, was happy for teammate Tony Gonzalez. Gonzalez recently signed a five-year contract reported to be for more than $31 million, including more than $17 million guaranteed. But Johnson said he isn’t setting any deadline to get a new deal done before training camp.

“I could want, want, want, but (club president) Carl Peterson signs the deal and (vice-president) Denny Thum and those guys run that,” Johnson said of the front office and capologists, “so I’ll let them do what they want to do.”

Johnson is spending much of the offseason in New York preparing for his career after football by helping design clothes for rap star Jay-Z.
“That’s the biggest thing, what am I going to do after football?” Johnson said. “I can’t play forever, which I obviously want to, but I have to have some kind of plan.”

jiveturkey
02-01-2007, 09:52 AM
Weird

He's seems a bit smarter than the average bear. Even though he's looking into a line of work that might be considered gay.

crazycoffey
02-01-2007, 09:55 AM
yeah, we're probably trading him. dammit carl.

crazycoffey
02-01-2007, 09:55 AM
Weird

He's seems a bit smarter than the average bear. Even though he's looking into a line of work that might be considered gay.

He does seem pretty level headed.

DMAC
02-01-2007, 09:57 AM
Even though he's looking into a line of work that might be considered gay.Well, that does sound like a good profession if you want to be surrounded by a bunch of A++ quality tang.

BigRedChief
02-01-2007, 09:59 AM
If he isn't causing a problem no way King Carl gives him a new contract. I guess he's happy being Jay-Z's buddy.

boogblaster
02-01-2007, 10:05 AM
Quoting LJ..Jay-Zs been very very good too me..poonie-tang every nite from A to Z ...

StcChief
02-01-2007, 10:07 AM
Clothes designer? with rapper?
That doesn't sound like a future.

Bank your FB money and get a better contract

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-01-2007, 10:14 AM
LJ is just a different kind of cat.

Tuckdaddy
02-01-2007, 10:17 AM
We should lock him up with a new deal now! Paying him that is insulting at least it would be to me. You can outplay your contract and LJ have proved he can take the hand offs and produce.

htismaqe
02-01-2007, 10:17 AM
I've thought all along that Johnson's priorities were much more solid than people give him credit for.

The kid wants to play football. He's making a comfortable living.

wutamess
02-01-2007, 10:19 AM
Clothes designer? with rapper?
That doesn't sound like a future.

Bank your FB money and get a better contract

Dumbass....
It's one of the (if not THE) most recognized clothing lines in the Hip Hop culture.
It's one of the top 3 greatest "hip hop" artist (not a rapper) of all time - and richest by far.

Please get educated and stop making ignorant unsubstantiated comments.

JBucc
02-01-2007, 10:22 AM
I have a feeling whether or not LJ stays in KC will have less to do with cash and more to do with whether or not he believes we can be a real SB contender. Right now I'd lean towards us not being a real SB contender.

Mr. Laz
02-01-2007, 10:24 AM
We should lock him up with a new deal now! Paying him that is insulting at least it would be to me. You can outplay your contract and LJ have proved he can take the hand offs and produce.
i'm sorry ... but that's just silly

do you have the any kind of understanding how the salary cap works?

if larry is willing to wait and/or take it slow .... we wait.

you don't give a guy a raise that just carried the rock 400 times if you don't need to. Larry could be injured or so worn out in 3 years that we don't want to sign him to another deal.

wutamess
02-01-2007, 10:32 AM
i'm sorry ... but that's just silly

do you have the any kind of understanding how the salary cap works?

if larry is willing to wait and/or take it slow .... we wait.

you don't give a guy a raise that just carried the rock 400 times if you don't need to. Larry could be injured or so worn out in 3 years that we don't want to sign him to another deal.

I think you've miss understood.
He wants a deal THIS YEAR.
He's not airing it out in public.

He'd be foolish not to want to redo his contract.

BigRedChief
02-01-2007, 10:35 AM
I think you've miss understood.
He wants a deal THIS YEAR.
He's not airing it out in public.

He'd be foolish not to want to redo his contract.
No kidding. Why would he sit still and not say a word making less than a million a year while Edgrin James makes $10 million? He knows the short life span of NFL running backs. He's just not taking it public.

Mr. Laz
02-01-2007, 11:15 AM
He wants a deal THIS YEAR
where did it say that?

i've not heard LJ say he wants a new deal this year in any interview i've heard.

i imagine every play in the nfl wants more money ... but i've not heard LJ say anything.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-01-2007, 11:26 AM
where did it say that?

i've not heard LJ say he wants a new deal this year in any interview i've heard.

i imagine every play in the nfl wants more money ... but i've not heard LJ say anything.

He doesn't have to say anything as long as his agent STFU and just talks to Carl about it.

Wile_E_Coyote
02-01-2007, 11:56 AM
Priest just got paid by the skin of his teeth. It would have been criminal if he got injured again & missed out. Priest busted his ass every play. I would have no problem if LJ wanted payed today

SNR
02-01-2007, 12:31 PM
Dumbass....
It's one of the (if not THE) most recognized clothing lines in the Hip Hop culture.
It's one of the top 3 greatest "hip hop" artist (not a rapper) of all time - and richest by far.

Please get educated and stop making ignorant unsubstantiated comments.Get educated? On rap music?

Wow, I went to a liberal arts school and I wasn't "educated" on this kind of stuff. I don't know what we're teaching kids in schools these days. Certainly not important stuff like this :rolleyes:

BigRedChief
02-01-2007, 12:53 PM
Get educated? On rap music?

Wow, I went to a liberal arts school and I wasn't "educated" on this kind of stuff. I don't know what we're teaching kids in schools these days. Certainly not important stuff like this :rolleyes:
I'm the whitest dude you will ever meet and I knew that information.

wutamess
02-01-2007, 01:43 PM

Liberal Arts is another name for basketweaving.
Better get educated.

"Hallelujah holla back!"
John Brown - The White Rapper Show.

InChiefsHell
02-01-2007, 01:56 PM
LJ is just being smart. Don't talk a bunch of crap...he knows the Chiefs want to keep him and he knows he's underpaid. He'll get his payday, and he knows it. No sense being a dick in public and pissing people off, especially the fans.

NJ Chief Fan
02-01-2007, 02:01 PM
I would never give him his pay day after the season he just had. LJ is never going to be the same, and his career is over.

NJ Chief Fan
02-01-2007, 02:03 PM
Dumbass....

Please get educated and stop making ignorant unsubstantiated comments.

Jay-Z hasn't been a rapper or MC in years, he's a pop artist now.

CoMoChief
02-01-2007, 03:28 PM

Haha, I was thinking kinda the same thing. Even though I did know about the clothing line thing. Oh well.

wutamess
02-01-2007, 03:32 PM
Jay-Z hasn't been a rapper or MC in years, he's a pop artist now.

NOW he is... He's still the icon of hiphop and a hip hop legend.
He hasn't made a good album since VIII IMHO.

Halfcan
02-01-2007, 03:41 PM
I would never give him his pay day after the season he just had. LJ is never going to be the same, and his career is over.

If he has 3 years left-make him play for that money he signed for, then Franchise him for two years. After we run him 2000 carries, trade him to someone that wants to pay him the big bucks.

We need to fix the Defense before we sign LJ to a gravy deal.

Halfcan
02-01-2007, 03:42 PM
JayZ's Bud commercial has the worst Rap I have ever heard. He should retire-lol

penchief
02-02-2007, 01:09 PM
where did it say that?

He hasn't. And if you remember, he signed early. He was like the second or third of the first round picks to sign that year. And he signed for a reasonable contract.

That's the tragedy of the way Vermeil and Saunders treated him. The kid just wanted to play football and prove what he could do and they took that away from him.

All things considered, I'd say he's been a standup guy.

penchief
02-02-2007, 01:12 PM

I don't agree with this at all. I'd look for him to have another dominant year next year. Somebody else already said it, "LJ is a different kind of cat."

Logical
02-02-2007, 04:11 PM
Johnson is spending much of the offseason in New York preparing for his career after football by helping design clothes for rap star Jay-Z.
“That’s the biggest thing, what am I going to do after football?” Johnson said. “I can’t play forever, which I obviously want to, but I have to have some kind of plan.”

So will this start a rumor that LJ is gay. I mean aren't all clothes designers gay? NTTAWWTROFL