PDA

View Full Version : True Romance... how did Quentin Tarantino pull this cast in his 2nd movie??

jAZ
02-03-2007, 02:31 AM
It just started on HBO. I haven't watched it in probably 10 years.

I looked on IMBD and realized how great the cast is for this movie. It's absolutely littered with great and/or big name actors.

Christian Slater
Patricia Arquette
Michael Rapaport
Val Kilmer
Dennis Hopper
Gary Oldman
Brad Pitt
Tom Sizemore
Christopher Walken
Samuel L. Jackson
James Gandolfini
Chris Penn
Jack Black
Bronson Pinchot

... add in at least a 1/2 dozen other people who you may not know the name but would probably recognize by their faces from TV or character actors.

ChiefsFanInIndy
02-03-2007, 02:51 AM
True Romance is a great movie. The scene between Walken and Hopper is one of the greatest movie scenes ever. If you liked the ending, check out Domino and Smokin Aces.

Personally I think Tarantino's greatest movie was Resevoir Dogs.

jlscorpio
02-03-2007, 03:49 AM
Turns out it WAS whiteboy day...

Easy 6
02-03-2007, 07:38 AM
Great actors recognize great scripts when they see'm, just like Slingblade, while it didnt have quite as many huge names it still had some great actors who all said they would have done it for union minimum because it was such a great story.

NOBODY plays a gangster like Chris Walken, i cant believe Scorcese hasnt used him for one yet.

HMc
02-03-2007, 07:40 AM
tarantino was money but now his shtick is old. i prefer guy ritchie's work anyway.

Bill Lundberg
02-03-2007, 08:16 AM
I love the movie, My guess is it's because he has the best blow in Hollywood..

chrisdel
02-03-2007, 09:39 AM
Tarantino didn't direct this movie. He wrote the screenplay, but Tony Scott (Top Gun, Beverly Hills Cop II) directed. Just for clarification.

Braincase
02-03-2007, 09:44 AM
tarantino was money but now his shtick is old. i prefer guy ritchie's work anyway.

You just want to get next to Madonna's cones.

Bowser
02-03-2007, 09:46 AM

Snatch was an effing brilliant movie.

Bowser
02-03-2007, 09:47 AM
"Hey! Bring back some beer! And cleaning products."

Sully
02-03-2007, 09:48 AM
It's a great cast, but if you look at when the movie was made, none of those actors were half as popular as they are now. Respected? Probably... but marquee? nah.

Spott
02-03-2007, 09:48 AM
Jack Black's scene was deleted and not shown in the movie.

keg in kc
02-03-2007, 10:18 AM
It made me laugh when I read that list of cool actors...

...and Bronson Pinchot

Sully
02-03-2007, 10:20 AM
It made me laugh when I read that list of cool actors...

...and Bronson Pinchot

Don't be LidICK-you-loas

(no easy way to spell that out, huh)

banyon
02-03-2007, 10:22 AM
True Romance is a great movie. The scene between Walken and Hopper is one of the greatest movie scenes ever. If you liked the ending, check out Domino and Smokin Aces.

Absolutely that is one of the best scenes from any movie made in the 1990s.

Wa-Z
02-03-2007, 10:27 AM
Oldman is the shiat.

Brock
02-03-2007, 10:48 AM
Tarantino didn't direct it, he just wrote the script.

unothadeal
02-03-2007, 11:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObU-wa6_2gU

Frazod
02-03-2007, 11:31 AM
Great movie. The Walken/Hopper scene is great. I also love the line "It's better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it." I use that alot.

Demonpenz
02-03-2007, 12:54 PM
i thought tarerentino just wrote the script?

DJJasonp
02-03-2007, 01:39 PM
i thought tarerentino just wrote the script?

Yep...as others posted....Tony Scott directed.

Tony Scott knows violence and does it well...

Domino was fun....and Man on Fire kicked major ass.

Chade
02-03-2007, 01:48 PM
The scene with Walken and Hopper is great because of Hopper, IMO. Although I've yet to find anyone who felt the same...

I also like alot of Tony Scott stuff. I really like Enemy of the State. True Romance is great, Man on Fire was good. Did not enjoy Domino however...

ChiefsFanInIndy
02-03-2007, 03:14 PM
[QUOTE=Chade]The scene with Walken and Hopper is great because of Hopper, IMO. Although I've yet to find anyone who felt the same...

QUOTE]

Here ya go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIzHOfC0cMU

Deberg_1990
02-03-2007, 03:20 PM

As has been mentioned many times, Tony Scott did direct it and Tarantino only wrote the screenplay.

It has also been mentioned by Tarantino that he wasnt entirely happy with the end result, but i honestly dont see how he could have made it much better?? Love the flick and it has so many classic scenes....

He also wrote the orginal story for Natural Born Killers around the same era and has disowned Stone's version of the movie as well.

It should also be noted that Christian Slater never got any better than this movie and has fallen waaay off the map since.

ChiefsFanInIndy
02-03-2007, 04:21 PM
It should also be noted that Christian Slater never got any better than this movie and has fallen waaay off the map since.[/QUOTE]

Why should that be noted? Does that diminish the movie we are talking about?

Otter
02-03-2007, 05:32 PM
Jack Black's scene was deleted and not shown in the movie.

Probably one of the best moves that could have been made. I avoid movies that host that hack in them like the plague.

When True Romance was made many of those actors were up and coming as opposed to the superstars they've become. Brad Pitt being the most prominent.

You're right though, that's quiet a cast and I can't imagine a single one of them wouldn't do it all over again. That was a great movie.

May have to pop that in tonight. Haven't seen it in ages.

Anyong Bluth
02-03-2007, 05:50 PM
As has been mentioned many times, Tony Scott did direct it and Tarantino only wrote the screenplay.

It has also been mentioned by Tarantino that he wasnt entirely happy with the end result, but i honestly dont see how he could have made it much better?? Love the flick and it has so many classic scenes....

He also wrote the orginal story for Natural Born Killers around the same era and has disowned Stone's version of the movie as well.

It should also be noted that Christian Slater never got any better than this movie and has fallen waaay off the map since.

I actually really like True Romance. However, I think if Tarantino had directed either it or Natural Born Killers, both movies would be done very differently. Maybe better, maybe worse.

I don't think Tarantino's stuff has become poor at all. He needs to stop pimping movies with the Q. Tarantino presents... where he just slaps his name on a movie for distribution so it gets better pub by people not realizing he's not really associated with the move. The martial arts movies he's backed have been okay, but being assoc. with a movie like Hostel was rediculous.

I'm still dying for him to make The Vega Bros., but both those guys are getting pretty old, and the window on that may be closing pretty quick.

Some quotes from him around the time KBII came out...

It's a sequel to both Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs, actually, it's a sequel and it's a prequel. It's the Vega Brothers, played by Michael Madsen and John Travolta. I have been trying to do it for years, and the more time I take, the older these two guys get. But I've come up with an idea that won't much matter how much they age....the magic of movies. It's going to be great. It'll be funny, and these guys are so great, alright, they're going to be like two oversized mob-men fighting over the last bowl of pasta, that we can't go wrong. It's just going to be John and Michael, and I hope to make this my next movie. We're laying down the pipework for it now."

Chalk this one up as yet another rumor chugging its way around the net. Remember that Vega Brothers movie Quentin Tarantino has always flirted with, but never injected enough juice into his brain to actually make? The film was supposed to focus on brothers Vincent Vega (as played by John Travolta in Pulp Fiction) and Vic Vega (as played by Michael Madsen in Reservoir Dogs). Last we heard from Tarantino, he claimed to be into the project, and even revealed that he had found a way to write it even though both characters died in their respective movies. Would it be a prequel? Heck no, these guys are way too old to play younger versions of themselves. Would they come back from the dead? Nah, even Tarantino is smart enough to stay away from that bogus plot device.
So, what did he come up with? Well, CHUD recently sat down with Madsen, and the actor dumped an interesting scenario on the table, one that's still not officially a reality, but could be if Tarantino feels like churning out a script. Says Madsen, " [Tarantino] gave me an idea that would be really outrageous that John and I would be the twin brothers of Vic and Vincent. We come from Amsterdam to LA to avenge the deaths of our brothers. I think that's pretty interesting. For me, I'd love to do it." If 'interesting' is another way of saying the idea is utterly ridiculous, then I certainly agree with Madsen. Let's get serious here folks, while I'd love to see these characters up on the big screen again, this plot is a bit absurd. Besides, Tarantino already gave us his big revenge pic in Kill Bill, so all he'd be doing is regurgitating a familiar storyline with the same actors (Madsen also appeared in Kill Bill as one of the dudes Uma Thurman comes after for beating her silly inside the wedding chapel). What say you about this latest rumor? Good idea? Bad? Personally, I say Tarantino scraps his Vega fantasy and finally gets to shooting Inglorious Bastards. Yes sir, those are my two cents.

HMc
02-03-2007, 05:53 PM
so tarantino directed this right?

ChiefFan31
02-03-2007, 05:56 PM
so tarantino directed this right?

ROFL Not even kidding. 28 or so posts in this thread and about 12 of them are repeated.

True Romance is a bad ass flick. I got that on DVR gonna watch it later.

Deberg_1990
02-03-2007, 08:55 PM
I'm still dying for him to make The Vega Bros., but both those guys are getting pretty old, and the window on that may be closing pretty quick.

I highly doubt we ever get to see this happen.....QT has been talking about it forever.....im not holding out any hope....

Im actually looking forward to his new movie in a few months. "Death Proof"

Curious to see what he can do with the slasher movie formula....

and Kurt Russell is always cool....

Pitt Gorilla
02-03-2007, 09:14 PM
Wasn't there a huge "protest" of this movie by politicians when it came out?

Deberg_1990
02-03-2007, 09:38 PM
Wasn't there a huge "protest" of this movie by politicians when it came out?

Maybe a little? Probably the violence, which is actually pretty tame by todays standards. Natural Born Killers made much more of an uproar when it was released..

Simply Red
02-03-2007, 09:44 PM
Absolutely that is one of the best scenes from any movie made in the 1990s.

He had his hand in Killing Zoe as well. That in my opinion was his best...

Frazod
02-03-2007, 10:05 PM
That does it - I'm watching this tonight.

SLAG
02-03-2007, 10:06 PM
That does it - I'm watching this tonight.
you should

Val Kilmer Has the best role in the Movie IMHO

Sully
02-03-2007, 10:08 PM
you should

Val Kilmer Has the best role in the Movie IMHO

The Salton Sea is pretty damn good with him.

Frazod
02-03-2007, 10:36 PM
Crap. The DVD I have of this movie is so goddamn old that it won't play right with my HD stuff. :grr: I guess it's time to upgrade disks.

Miles
02-04-2007, 12:07 AM
He had his hand in Killing Zoe as well. That in my opinion was his best...

Solid flick. Julie Delpy in it doesn't hurt either.

KcMizzou
02-27-2007, 01:30 PM
Crap. The DVD I have of this movie is so goddamn old that it won't play right with my HD stuff. :grr: I guess it's time to upgrade disks.Hey Fraz (or anyone else)... I dont know if you got this yet, but Best Buy has a 2-disc unrated director's cut on sale. It was marked $22, on sale for $9.99.

I picked one up myself.