PDA

View Full Version : Three cheers for Roger Wehrli

siberian khatru
02-03-2007, 01:09 PM
Pissed about DT not making it again.

BUT -- I'm thrilled Roger Wehrli made it.

He's an MU guy who was there the same time as my Dad, and I was a HUGE fan of Wehrli's when I was a kid growing up, when I was a big St. Louis Cardinals fan.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

88TG88
02-03-2007, 01:10 PM
who ?

cdcox
02-03-2007, 01:14 PM
Great, great defensive back. Should have been in many years ago. I guess the voters finally figured that letting Wehrli slide to the Old Timer's committee would be too big of an embarrassment to them.

RJ
02-03-2007, 01:40 PM

He's an MU guy who was there the same time as my Dad, and I was a HUGE fan of Wehrli's when I was a kid growing up, when I was a big St. Louis Cardinals fan.

I was also a fan of those teams growing up, they were my NFC favorite. They weren't much of a defense but Wehrli was a helluva player, one of those "nose for the ball" types.

Speaking of those Cardinal teams, listening to ESPN radio today I hear one of the hosts say that Thurman Thomas was the "first of what we now call multi-purpose backs". Maybe he's too young to remember Terry Metcalf, for one.

PinkFloyd
02-03-2007, 01:43 PM

Wehrli played his high school ball just minutes from my town... He played in King City, Missouri... Like I mentioned in another thread --- he was a stud in every sport he played during high school...

siberian khatru
02-03-2007, 01:44 PM
I was also a fan of those teams growing up, they were my NFC favorite. They weren't much of a defense but Wehrli was a helluva player, one of those "nose for the ball" types.

Speaking of those Cardinal teams, listening to ESPN radio today I hear one of the hosts say that Thurman Thomas was the "first of what we now call multi-purpose backs". Maybe he's too young to remember Terry Metcalf, for one.

Metcalf returned punts and KO's, too. I think at one time he had the season-record for most multipurpose yards. Dazzling player, but goddamn did he fumble a lot (or at least I remember him fumbling a lot). Carried the ball like a sack of bread.

Those Cardiac Cards teams rocked. Jim Hart (had a poster of him in bedroom), Metcalf, Jim Otis, Jim Bakken, a great O-line of Dierdorf, Dobler, Banks, Young and Finney, Mel Gray, Ike Harris ... Wehrli was the best D player. Their D always stank.

siberian khatru
02-03-2007, 01:46 PM
Wehrli played his high school ball just minutes from my town... He played in King City, Missouri... Like I mentioned in another thread --- he was a stud in every sport he played during high school...

I think he returned punts for MU as well. Inducted in the College FB Hall of Fame a few years ago. Definitely a stud.

PinkFloyd
02-03-2007, 01:52 PM
I think he returned punts for MU as well. Inducted in the College FB Hall of Fame a few years ago. Definitely a stud.

I use to play summer baseball, and King City was one of the teams we always played... We knew alot of those kids, cause we would also play on a traveling team with some of those King City boys...

Anyway; some of their fathers played high school ball with Wehrli... They said he would just run circles around all the high school teams he played against...

By FAR the most superior athlete back then around this area, and probably in the state of Missouri back then...

chief52
02-03-2007, 02:00 PM
While their careers only over lapped 4 years, I can not help but think of Larry Wilson when I think of Wehrli. They were both studs and both deservedly are now in the HOF.

Wilson (1960-1972) and Wehrli (1969-1982)

shaneo69
02-03-2007, 02:29 PM
I started watching football in the late '70's, and the funny thing is that Roger Wehrli and Emmitt Thomas were both nearing the end of their careers, and I just remember seeing them get burned all the time and thinking that they both sucked. Wish I could've seen them both in the early-mid 70's when they were in their prime.

RJ
02-03-2007, 02:43 PM
Metcalf returned punts and KO's, too. I think at one time he had the season-record for most multipurpose yards. Dazzling player, but goddamn did he fumble a lot (or at least I remember him fumbling a lot). Carried the ball like a sack of bread.

Those Cardiac Cards teams rocked. Jim Hart (had a poster of him in bedroom), Metcalf, Jim Otis, Jim Bakken, a great O-line of Dierdorf, Dobler, Banks, Young and Finney, Mel Gray, Ike Harris ... Wehrli was the best D player. Their D always stank.

Yeah, those were really fun teams. Mel Gray was such an exciting player, really fast. I'd compare him to Santana Moss among today's players. Jackie Smith was another great one from those teams. I think rooting for them is what made me dislike the rest of the NFC East, which I still do to this day.

Rain Man
02-03-2007, 03:02 PM
I've got nothing against Wehrli and Larry Wilson, and they were both great players, but what's the deal here?

Roger Wehrli – 1969-1982, 14 years, 7 pro bowls, 40 interceptions, 6 interceptions in best season. In Hall of Fame.

Larry Wilson – 1960-1972, 13 years, 8 pro bowls, 52 interceptions, “inventor” of safety blitz, 10 interceptions in best season. In Hall of Fame

Emmitt Thomas – 1966-1978, 13 years, 5 pro bowls, 58 interceptions, played for Super Bowl winner and AFL champion, 12 interceptions in best season. NOT in Hall of Fame.

Johnny Robinson – 1960-1971, 12 years, 7 pro bowls, 57 interceptions, played for Super Bowl winner and AFL champion, 10 interceptions in best season. NOT in Hall of Fame.

RJ
02-03-2007, 03:10 PM
Maybe Robinson and Thomas cancel each other out. Or maybe the perception is that these players were good because of all the great players around them. Not that I'd agree with any of that, just taking some guesses.

Rain Man
02-03-2007, 03:35 PM
Maybe Robinson and Thomas cancel each other out. Or maybe the perception is that these players were good because of all the great players around them. Not that I'd agree with any of that, just taking some guesses.

But doesn't it seem odd that championships seem to be worth so much to the voters, but in this case they picked not just one, but two players who had nearly identical stats but no championships? They didn't care that Michael Irvin and Lynn Swann were surrounded by good players.