PDA

View Full Version : Wow. Manny Fernandez.

Rain Man
02-03-2007, 04:33 PM
Wow.

Anyone watch the Super Bowl special thingie of the Miami Dolphins' 1972 season?

In the Super Bowl, the Dolphins won 14-7. For those of you who weren't there, the Redskins' only touchdown came on a weird play where Dolphins kicker Garo Yepremian had a field goal attempt blocked. He chased down the ball and tried to throw a pass, which slipped out of his hand and went straight up in the air. Yepremian then for some reason batted the ball up again, right into the arms of Redskins DB Mike Bass, who returned it for a touchdown.

Manny Fernandez was a DT for the Dolphins, and apparently was credited with 17 tackles in that game. He was, all in all, an above average DT when he was playing, and for a while was pretty darn good.

He was interviewed on the show, and he savaged Garo Yepremian. Absolutely drilled him. He said something like, "I hate Garo Yepremian. Hate him. And it's not for the blocked kick or the pass, but because he didn't throw his body into [Mike Bass] during the return. I never thought anybody could be that bad and lazy and [a bunch of other insults I don't remember] and ... cowardly. Not even Garo Yepremian. But he surprised me. What a cowardly thing to do. He's a coward."

I guess Fernandez forgot that Yepremian got him into the Super Bowl the year before. What a loser. I never thought anyone could be such a whiny baby. Not even Manny Fernandez. But he surprised me.

siberian khatru
02-03-2007, 04:37 PM
After the NFL, Manny became a pro wrestler.

siberian khatru
02-03-2007, 04:41 PM
My mistake. Different Manny Fernandez.

Rain Man
02-03-2007, 04:41 PM
After the NFL, Manny became a pro wrestler.

I inherently distrust wikipedia, but it claims that the wrestler was a different Manny Fernandez, and in fact was a former football player who played for ... the Kansas City Chiefs.

I have trouble believing this. I've been watching the Chiefs since the late 1940s and I don't remember a three-year player with the Chiefs named Manny Fernandez.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manny_Fernandez_%28wrestler%29

88TG88
02-03-2007, 04:43 PM
i saw that thing on ESPN. that guy was a beast in that game. he spent the whole day in the backfield

alanm
02-03-2007, 04:46 PM
Manny's still pissed about Garo not giving him a hand made tie for Christmas that year. :)

Bill Parcells
02-03-2007, 04:49 PM
I've heard Fernandez say that before..he said Garo almost ruined their perfect season with that ridiculous volleyball flop thing he did that the Redskins returned for a TD.