PDA

View Full Version : Alpha's offseason plan

Alphaman
02-04-2007, 06:36 PM
As I see it the Chiefs have 3 goals as they approach the offseason.

1) Get More Talent
2) Get Younger
3) Manage the Salary Cap

With that in mind here is my strategy for free agency and the draft. My free agency strategy targets players who have been in the league 4 to 6 years, are under the age of thirty and have several good years left in them. It targets 2 current starters who will command a very high salary and a few players targets players who have not been starters with their current team but have had significant playing time and could step in as starters with the Chiefs. The strategy approaches the draft to fill remaining and future holes on the roster. Finally, the strategy assumes that Jared Allen, Kawika Mitchell and Samie Parker are back next year. Parker is not assumed to be a starter, but a slot receiver.

Here it is:

OLB - Lance Briggs (Bears) will be 27 next season. Fast OLB who is a very good tackler. We'd need to break the bank on this one. This defense needs someone to emerge as the playmaking leader on the field. Briggs is emerging into that type of player.

WR - Ashley Lelie (Falcons) will be 27 next year. 6'3" and 200 lbs. I'd prefer Jerry Porter, but I really don't think Al Davis is going to let him go for nothing. The sexy selection is Donte' Stallworth, but I went with Lelie because he is bigger. It seems that Herm likes bigger WRs with good speed. This pick will also probably cost some top $ money.

DT - Ian Scott (Bears) will be 26 next season. 6'3" and 302 lbs. Strong DT in Cover 2 scheme in Chicago.

DT - Alphonso Boone (Bears) will be 31 next season, 6'4" and 318 lbs. Big DT who stepped in as a starter when Tommy Harris went down. Strong DT in Cover 2 scheme in Chicago. Older than we'd like, but I chose him over Terdell Sands (Raiders) because of he and Scott would already have chemistry from playing together in Chicago. Sands would also fit the profile.

DE - Kenyon Coleman(Cowboys) will be 28 next season, been a backup in Dallas. We'll need someone to start in place of Allen for the first 4 games and Coleman would provide great depth once Allen returns. Acquiring Coleman likely leads to Hicks being cut.

DRAFT

1) Levi Brown - OT - Penn State (I'm assuming Okoye will be off the board.) Brown may be gone as well but it appears there is a good chance he drops to us at #23. I love to draft guys who played well in games but dropped because of the senior bowl and the combine. This appears to be happening to Brown. Massive frame that can clear holes for backs and buy time for his QB. Huge asset in the run game at Penn St. and should be able to physically dominate defensive ends in the NFL. The fact that he is a grad student shows that he has a good head on his shoulders. Could very well be the long term solution at LT.

2) Justin Harrell - DT - Tennessee 6'4" and 300 lbs. Smart DT who is not afraid to get his nose dirty on run defense. Played injured against Florida because he felt the team need him. Warrior!! Completes the overhaul of the DT position getting plenty of playing time in a 4 man rotation.

3) Eric Wright - CB - UNLV stick like glue cover corner who transferred from USC. Talented CB groomed to take over for Law after next season.

5) Kasey Studdard - OG - Texas tough, physical lineman, with good pedigree. Father played as NFL lineman for 10 years.

6) Ryan Moore - WR - Miami 6'3" and 220 lbs. One of the Hurricanes' best receiving threats...Has good hands and is a fine route runner. Kennison doesn't have too many years left in him. Moore could be his ready replacement next year.

6) Dedrick Harrington - MLB - Missouri extremely gifted athlete who could project well as MLB in Cover 2 scheme

7) Quincy Black - OLB - New Mexico played safety/LB combo made famous by Urlacher. tremendous athletic talent, very good in pass coverage

There's my plan. If Webb is ready to start and Hannon is ready to contribute, I'd consider cutting or trading Kennison. I know he's been a good WR for us, but we need to get younger and he is not a big game receiver.

Starting line up with this draft:

Offense

QB -Green (or Huard) I can see either one
RB - LJ
FB - Boomer
LOT - Brown
LOG - Waters
C - Niswanger - Weigmann is not strong enough to anchor the running attack Herm wants to run
ROG - John Welbourne (Tre Stallings could steal this spot in camp)
ROT - Chris Terry
TE - Gonzo
WR - Lelie
WR - Webb

Defense

RDE - Coleman (for 4 games until Allen gets back from suspension)
RDT - Scott
LDT - Boone
LDE - Hali
ROLB - Briggs
MLB - Mitchell
LOLB - DJ
CB - Law
FS - Page
SS - Pollard
CB - Surtain

Icing on the cake would be getting draft picks by trading Kennison, Hall, Wesley, Weigmann.

Easy 6
02-04-2007, 06:47 PM
I like your draft choices a lot more than the FA picks.

milkman
02-04-2007, 06:53 PM
I like your draft choices a lot more than the FA picks.

Overall, Alpha has presented a very well thought out plan, but as you say there are a couple of questionable FA pickups.

This part though;

Icing on the cake would be getting draft picks by trading Kennison, Hall, Wesley, Weigmann.

Well only leads to one response.

LMAO

kstater
02-04-2007, 06:57 PM
Can we get a petition for Alpha to replace Carl?

htismaqe
02-04-2007, 07:47 PM
Ashley Lelie?

No thanks.

banyon
02-04-2007, 08:31 PM
Why don't we go ahead and just trade for the rest of the Bears D while we are at it?

htismaqe
02-04-2007, 08:31 PM
Why don't we go ahead and just trade for the rest of the Bears D while we are at it?

Well, considering our defense looked better against the Colts, AT INDY, ON TURF, I'd say "no thanks".

88TG88
02-04-2007, 08:32 PM
3) Eric Wright - CB - UNLV stick like glue cover corner who transferred from USC. Talented CB groomed to take over for Law after next season.
ya and he bascially ran a cartel from his dorm at USC. i wouldnt draft this guy if u paid me

Direckshun
02-04-2007, 08:41 PM
Like it, but we are going to have to shovel money at the Bears.

Direckshun
02-04-2007, 08:44 PM
Except I would have Knight start instead of Pollard, and would still prefer Wilson at FB.

LiL stumppy
02-04-2007, 09:30 PM
Realisticaly, Boomer wont be a starting FB for us next year. Weigman wont be benched, changed to a different position maybe. Webb wont be a starting WR as long as Kennison is here. Kennison is no number 1 WR, but he IS a solid number 2. My 2 cents.

penguinz
02-04-2007, 09:42 PM
Boomer at starting FB? Are you dumb or just stupid?

HMc
02-04-2007, 10:04 PM
Yeah. Kennison, Hall, Wesley and Weigmann might be worth a draft pick. Like one pick. In the 7th round. For all 4 of them. Take Wesley out of the deal and you might get a 7th and a couple of NFL Europe tickets. End zone tickets probably.

HMc
02-04-2007, 10:08 PM
as for lelie, we've already got a "deep threat"...

Pam Palm Parker.

KcMizzou
02-04-2007, 10:08 PM
Boomer at starting FB? Are you dumb or just stupid?In Alpha's defense, there was an article posted recently about Boomer working out at FB during the offseason. I'm sure it's still pretty far-fatched, but I didn't know if you'd heard about that.

Extra Point
02-04-2007, 10:12 PM
We have closest to the least wiggle room in the cap. It's another "go with the devils you know" season ahead, unless some serious restructuring happens with Green again, and/or Herm lives up to the "new faces" post-season comments.

suds79
02-04-2007, 10:14 PM
For the life of me I will never be able to figure out what Kris Wilson did so wrong at FB to where he needs replaced.

I thought he blocked decent in the running game (1st year at it also) and showed athleticism & a pass catching ability that we haven't had for some time from the FB position.

I just don't get it.

JBucc
02-04-2007, 10:19 PM
For the life of me I will never be able to figure out what Kris Wilson did so wrong at FB to where he needs replaced.

I thought he blocked decent in the running game (1st year at it also) and showed athleticism & a pass catching ability that we haven't had for some time from the FB position.

I just don't get it.
No kidding. We finally find a place where this guy fits and has an impact on the game and everyone wants to ship him back to TE so he can collect some more dust.

Alphaman
02-05-2007, 06:25 AM
Boomer at starting FB? Are you dumb or just stupid?

Is that question because you don't think he'll be switched to FB or you don't think he'll start there?

He WILL be switched to FB...in fact he already has been. In fact his number has been changed as well. Here is his line from the Chiefs roster:

46 Grigsby, Boomer FB 5-11 249 11/15/81 2 Illinois State Canton, IL D5a-05

You can confirm this on the Chiefs website. So I don't know if I'm dumb or stupid, but I am at least informed.

siberian khatru
02-05-2007, 08:31 AM
Is Ronnie Cruz not expected to make it back?

noa
02-05-2007, 08:35 AM
Lance Briggs is going to be very expensive.

Warrior5
02-05-2007, 08:39 AM
Is Ronnie Cruz not expected to make it back?

My question exactly. I heard a few months ago that his off-season rehab was going well. I think he's an RFA, but assumed the Chiefs planned on him returning.

Good thing K. Wilson has worked out well at FB.

Easy 6
02-05-2007, 08:41 AM
Lance Briggs is going to be very expensive.

Yep, i really dont see us picking him up because of cost & we also have a fairly deep group already, not to mention that we could concievably pick up a good young player in the draft.

patteeu
02-05-2007, 08:52 AM
I think it's a great plan, Alphaman. I'd love to see that type of strategy pursued. My only concern is with Lelie, but that might just be the Bronco stink that prejudices me against him.

htismaqe
02-05-2007, 09:42 AM
Realisticaly, Boomer wont be a starting FB for us next year. Weigman wont be benched, changed to a different position maybe. Webb wont be a starting WR as long as Kennison is here. Kennison is no number 1 WR, but he IS a solid number 2. My 2 cents.

It's much more realistic that Wiegmann be benched. Changing positions? Are you kidding? He's been in the league 10 years and he's 50 pounds too light to play guard.

CosmicPal
02-05-2007, 10:09 AM
It's much more realistic that Wiegmann be benched. Changing positions? Are you kidding? He's been in the league 10 years and he's 50 pounds too light to play guard.

Why not? He could actually take Jason Dunn's role as a blocking tight-end, thus freeing Tony to do what he does best- catch passes. It won't happen, and it would make our offense blatantly obvious, but he certainly could play the role of a blocking tight-end.

htismaqe
02-05-2007, 10:15 AM
Why not? He could actually take Jason Dunn's role as a blocking tight-end, thus freeing Tony to do what he does best- catch passes. It won't happen, and it would make our offense blatantly obvious, but he certainly could play the role of a blocking tight-end.

Because he's played Center his entire life. He doesn't have any idea how to handle edge rushers. There's more to it than size.

CosmicPal
02-05-2007, 10:15 AM
As for Lelie? Good lord NO!

The guy has history of dropping key passes. Sh*t the guy dropped one of the easiest long tosses a receiver could catch vs the Chiefs a couple of years ago. He could have walked into the endzone untouched.

The fact that he demanded to be traded because he wasn't a #1 receiver on a team that realistically provided him the best opportunity to become the #1 WR throws up a lot of red flags on his character. Rod Smith is best as a #2 WR this late in his career and had it not been for Walker, Lelie was given his best chance to shine, but he dropped too many key passes, didn't play full speed all the time, and grew into a major cancer with the other players.

He'd have to pay us to play for us....I wouldn't give him one cent to be a Chief.

CosmicPal
02-05-2007, 10:18 AM
Because he's played Center his entire life. He doesn't have any idea how to handle edge rushers. There's more to it than size.

Players change positions all the time and sometimes excel at their new positions: Urlacher was a safety- now a middle linebacker. Deron Cherry was QB turned Safety, Brian Waters was a TE turned monster guard.

It happens all the time....Weigmann is perfectly capable of learning a new position such as a run-blocking TE.

Again, I said it won't happen, but it is quite possible he could do it.

htismaqe
02-05-2007, 10:24 AM
Players change positions all the time and sometimes excel at their new positions: Urlacher was a safety- now a middle linebacker. Deron Cherry was QB turned Safety, Brian Waters was a TE turned monster guard.

It happens all the time....Weigmann is perfectly capable of learning a new position such as a run-blocking TE.

Again, I said it won't happen, but it is quite possible he could do it.

Every one of those players you mentioned changed positions upon moving up a level. Urlacher played safety in college and changed positions when he moved to the pros.

Yes, players change positions all the time. But they don't move from C to TIGHT END 10 years into their pro careers.

CosmicPal
02-05-2007, 10:29 AM
Every one of those players you mentioned changed positions upon moving up a level. Urlacher played safety in college and changed positions when he moved to the pros.

Yes, players change positions all the time. But they don't move from C to TIGHT END 10 years into their pro careers.

OK God of all Football Knowledge, you win.

htismaqe
02-05-2007, 10:29 AM
OK God of all Football Knowledge, you win.

YOU played that card, I didn't.

Easy 6
02-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Wiggy isnt going to be a TE any more than Dunn is going to be a LT.

Chief Chief
02-05-2007, 10:38 AM
Here me now and believe it later: Muchos Libros will start Game One '07!!

el borracho
02-05-2007, 11:01 AM

What about Kyle Turley?!! Huh?! Huh?!

Oh, wait... nevermind. Weigman = on his way off our roster and probably out of the league, hopefully this offseason.

el borracho
02-05-2007, 11:02 AM
Here me now and believe it later: Muchos Libros will start Game One '07!!
I keep trying but I can't figure out who "Muchos Libros" is. May I have a clue, please?

RJ
02-05-2007, 11:13 AM
I keep trying but I can't figure out who "Muchos Libros" is. May I have a clue, please?

I assume he means this guy.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/01/26/bc.fbn.chiefs.pruneda.ap/index.html

88TG88
02-05-2007, 11:17 AM
[QUOTE=Chief Chief]Muchos Libros QUOTE]
ROFL

how did he get that nickname ?

htismaqe
02-05-2007, 11:35 AM
What about Kyle Turley?!! Huh?! Huh?!

Oh, wait... nevermind. Weigman = on his way off our roster and probably out of the league, hopefully this offseason.

Was Turley a center?

el borracho
02-05-2007, 11:40 AM
Was Turley a center?
You know he wasn't. He was a T and his switch to TE didn't work.

htismaqe
02-05-2007, 12:07 PM
You know he wasn't. He was a T and his switch to TE didn't work.

Only because we moved him back to tackle. :D