PDA

View Full Version : Commercials rocked...apart from...

Count Alex's Wins
02-04-2007, 09:06 PM
JAY-FRIGGIN'-Z outclassing DON SHULA in something football related. What a farce. :shake:

On a lighter note I LOVED the assembly-line machine dream. That was fantastic and...hell I got a little choked up. :)

milkman
02-04-2007, 09:08 PM
You are easily entertained, oh virginal gay one.

Mr. Laz
02-04-2007, 09:09 PM
just had to start a thread about it .......

the official commecial thread just wasn't enough "face time" for ya.

Easy 6
Its not a new ad, but i ALWAYS end up jamming along to the Cadillac spot that has, i believe, Iggy Pop singin' about "drivin' down the street, i'm bored with lookin' good"......can someone tell me who that is??? Is it the Stooges or just Iggy???

Count Alex's Wins
You are easily entertained, oh virginal gay one.

Not really. The halftime show sucked ass. God I hate that midget.

milkman
02-04-2007, 09:11 PM
Not really. The halftime show sucked ass. God I hate that midget.

I didn't watch the halftime show.

KcMizzou
02-04-2007, 09:12 PM
If I ever start to lose my hair, I'm going for a beard combover for sure.

Joie
02-04-2007, 09:12 PM
I didn't watch the halftime show.
Lucky you.

Count Alex's Wins
02-04-2007, 09:15 PM
Lucky you.

You're moving up in the world.

Guru
02-04-2007, 09:21 PM
JAY-FRIGGIN'-Z outclassing DON SHULA in something football related. What a farce. :shake:

On a lighter note I LOVED the assembly-line machine dream. That was fantastic and...hell I got a little choked up. :)
I don't even like Shula and that commercial pissed me off. Of course, Jay-Z didn't beat Shula. He cheated.

Joie
02-04-2007, 09:23 PM
You're moving up in the world.
Do you mean that in a good way?

Count Alex's Wins
02-04-2007, 09:24 PM

Absolutely. Keep on rocking in the free world.

milkman
02-04-2007, 09:26 PM

It doesn't matter.

He's a little pissant whose approval you needn't worry about.

Chiefs Pantalones
02-04-2007, 09:27 PM
Disagree. Commercials were overall ass.

Count Alex's Wins
02-04-2007, 09:27 PM
Disagree. Commercials were overall ass.

I was laughing my ass off at every turn. The dig at Favre near the end was classic.

Chiefs Pantalones
02-04-2007, 09:30 PM
Off topic, but I wonder how much Marino was rooting for Manning to lose. Hmmm...you know, the ole' misery loves company bid...

Count Alex's Wins
02-04-2007, 09:34 PM
Off topic, but I wonder how much Marino was rooting for Manning to lose. Hmmm...you know, the ole' misery loves company bid...

Manning's skinny AND he's got a Super Bowl ring. Marino must be devastated.

John_Locke
02-04-2007, 09:40 PM
thought the whole thing sucked this year

Commercials were the worst ever and the halftime show did not live up to the hype at all

South Dakotan
02-04-2007, 09:44 PM
The Snickers commercial was one of the best ever.

John_Locke
02-04-2007, 09:51 PM
thought there was gonna be some dude proposing?

luv
02-04-2007, 09:53 PM
I liked most of the Bud Light commercials. Some of the Coca-Cola ones were just weird.

Count Alex's Wins
02-04-2007, 09:54 PM
I liked most of the Bud Light commercials. .

They have some genius working for them...they shit gold.

In fact, Bud Light's best product isn't their beer. It's their commercials.

Chiefaholic
02-04-2007, 09:55 PM
I thought a couple commercials were decent. But, overall the game and commercials were terrible.

PinkFloyd
02-04-2007, 09:55 PM
I liked most of the Bud Light commercials. Some of the Coca-Cola ones were just weird.

That rock/paper/scissors Bud Light one was funny as hell....

DaKCMan AP
02-04-2007, 09:57 PM
The commercials as a whole were extremely disappointing.

C-Mac
02-04-2007, 09:59 PM
The commercials as a whole were extremely disappointing.
I agree, there were some decent ones but nothing worth repeating.

Reaper16
02-04-2007, 10:02 PM
This was a down year for the commercials. I did enjoy the assembly line robot one. And Robert Goulet wreaking havoc in the office was awesome.

Count Alex's Wins
02-04-2007, 10:03 PM
This was a down year for the commercials. I did enjoy the assembly line robot one. And Robert Goulet wreaking havoc in the office was awesome.

C'mon man. The gay Snickers-eating mechanics was hilarious. Bud Light shits gold. There were several other good ones.

Overall there was very little that didn't entertain me.

John_Locke
02-04-2007, 10:08 PM
so gochiefs...did I miss the proposal? that was all the wife was talkign about all morning...saying how cool it would be.

I didn't really get creative when I proposed

Sam Hall
02-04-2007, 10:08 PM
I only liked one or two of the commercials. The Budweiser commercial with the guys slapping each other stands out in my mind.

luv
02-04-2007, 10:14 PM
How could you not like the auctioneer officiating over the wedding ceremony?

I missed the commercial made independently by a couple of guys. Wasn't it a Doritos commercial or something? Never saw it.

John_Locke
02-04-2007, 10:15 PM
it was dumb

Count Alex's Wins
02-04-2007, 10:16 PM
I missed the commercial made independently by a couple of guys. Wasn't it a Doritos commercial or something? Never saw it.

Yeah. It was some girl at a register dropping sexual-inneundo over dorito flavors to the guy buying them. Pretty funny.

Sam Hall
02-04-2007, 10:17 PM
The auctioner was amusing, but not hilarious.

John_Locke
02-04-2007, 10:17 PM
Yeah. It was some girl at a register dropping sexual-inneundo over dorito flavors to the guy buying them. Pretty funny.

pretty ignorant if you ask me

Sam Hall
02-04-2007, 10:18 PM
I hate cashiers who talk too much.

Taco John
02-04-2007, 10:20 PM
I was suprised, but I was actually entertained by the halftime show. I thought Prince showed remarkable range in it. I especially liked his Foo Fighters tribute.

cdcox
02-04-2007, 10:35 PM
I hate cashiers who talk too much.

I made the tragic mistake of not getting my SB grub on Friday. Put it off until after church. Mouth breathers were every where. I was the third person in the 20 item or less line at Wal-Mart. They have the chattiest cashiers. So I'm standing there and the cashier comes around from her station to hug the customer. I'm not making this up. Evidently they knew each other. I wanted to implement a 20 word or less line. They chatted as the cashier scanned each item. And whenever the clerk was talking, she quit moving. Then came the change counting. Half way through that process, the cashier froze every inch of her body, except her lips which were moving a mile a mintue. KILL. KILL. KILL. Then came the long goodbye. So good to see you. It's been so long. Turn, take two steps, turn back. We really need to get together. Call me. Okay, see you soon. GRRR.

BigRedChief
02-05-2007, 07:59 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/money/advertising/...r-winners_x.htm (http://www.usatoday.com/money/advertising/admeter/2007-02-04-ad-meter-winners_x.htm)

Budweiser wins with crabby crawlers as Anheuser-Busch takes seven of top 10 Updated 2/5/2007 3:03 AM ET

By Bruce Horovitz, USA TODAYAnheuser-Busch continued its Super Bowl ad supremacy with a commercial that pure and simple made folks smile.For a record ninth-consecutive year, the beer giant won USA TODAY'S exclusive Ad Meter real-time consumer focus group ranking of Super Bowl commercials.

VIDEO: View the winning ad (http://usatodayadmeter.feedroom.com/?fr_story=FEEDROOM177774)

The winning ad featured a group of computer-generated crabs on the beach bowing (http://bowing) down at the altar of an ice chest filled with Budweiser. The red chest with two Buds for antennae looks like a giant crab which a crab army worships as the sun sets behind it. That's the kind of gentle, visual humor folks apparently wanted most this year.

CHART: See how all the ads ranked in Ad Meter (http://www.usatoday.com/money/advertising/admeter/2007-02-04-ad-meter-chart_x.htm)

Folks such as Doyle Wind. The retired bread salesman from Houston says he particularly objects to ads with violence in light of the Iraq war. "My next door neighbor has three sons over there right now," he says. "The way things are going now, we don't need to be reminded of all that. There's too much sadness now in the country. I guess that's why I enjoy the funny (ads) more."

The crab ad aired in the fourth quarter, becoming the first Ad Meter winner from that late in the game. A-B also walked off with four of the top five-rated commercials. And seven of the top 10.

The crustaceans' visual humor has another advantage after Sunday for the international brewer. Explains Bob Lachky, A-B creative chief, at A-B: 'We try to find something that will play around the world."

This year, the usual array of humorous Super Bowl commercials had to fight off surprising competition from ads that made folks feel warm and fuzzy. But in the end, viewers wanted to laugh.

"Humor gets me over anything not stupid humor," says Kathleen Stobie, a Silver Spring, Md., resident who is a coordinator with her county government.

By contrast, slapstick violence sometimes worked and sometimes didn't. Panelists loved the Bud Light ad about a guy who takes a Rock, Paper, Scissors game too literally and tosses a real rock to win a Bud Light. It finished third.

But they had little patience with another Bud Light ad featuring people who replace fist pumps with a series of face slaps.

VIDEO: Bud Light's Rock, Paper, Scissors ad (http://usatodayadmeter.feedroom.com/?fr_story=FEEDROOM177772) | Bud Light's face-slapping ad (http://usatodayadmeter.feedroom.com/?fr_story=FEEDROOM177777)

With U.S. beer sales growth flat particularly domestic brews A-B once again went all out to win the Super Bowl of advertising. It broadcast nine commercials over five minutes of multimillion-dollar air time.

But the unusually high ranking of a Doritos commercial about a Doritos-eating guy who is distracted by a cute girl the winner of an online contest for amateur videos may shake up the future of Super Bowl advertising.

VIDEO: Dorito's Car crash couple ad (http://usatodayadmeter.feedroom.com/?fr_story=FEEDROOM177763)

It's the first time a major marketer entrusted a Super Bowl spot fetching up to $2.6 million for 30 seconds of air time to a novice.

The fourth-place spot was filmed for $12 the price of the four bags of Doritos. Compare that with those it beat, several special effects-laden pro spots costing upwards of $1 million to make.

This also was the first year in which a majority of marketers clearly felt compelled to air commercials aimed at driving consumer to their websites. With ad rates at record levels and consumer eyes increasingly straying from the TV screen to the computer screen, marketers are looking to have their messages have traction beyond the big game. website names were attached to virtually every ad.

If ever there was a Super Bowl whose messages were directly aimed at the twentysomething and under crowd, this was it. That's why a Coke ad had the feel of a video game. It's why Chevrolet put young girls in a car in Manhattan that is swarmed by bare-chested guys. And it's why Nationwide chose Kevin Federline, Britney Spear's estranged hubby.

VIDEO: Coke's video game guy (http://usatodayadmeter.feedroom.com/?fr_story=FEEDROOM177768) | Chevrolet's car-washing guys (http://usatodayadmeter.feedroom.com/?fr_story=FEEDROOM177715) | Nationwide's K-Fed (http://usatodayadmeter.feedroom.com/?fr_story=FEEDROOM177744)

Call it the Anything For Attention Bowl. Many marketers took the low road for that attention. Snickers had two men kissing over a candy bar. A-B filled most of 30 seconds with face-slapping. And GoDaddy.com offered-up a sanitized version of a wet T-shirt contest.

VIDEO: Snickers' mechanics (http://usatodayadmeter.feedroom.com/?fr_story=FEEDROOM177723) | Bud Light face-slapping (http://usatodayadmeter.feedroom.com/?fr_story=FEEDROOM177777) | GoDaddy.com wet T-shirt (http://usatodayadmeter.feedroom.com/?fr_story=FEEDROOM177759)

It's as if some marketers momentarily forgot how turned-off Super Bowl viewers were three years ago by the attention-getting gambit of Janet Jackson's half-time wardrobe malfunction that bared one breast.

Apparently, just about anything that's edgy if not bizarre is getting Madison Avenue's green light, again.

But once again, automakers couldn't buy a break. Despite six ads from three car companies, none made the viewers' top 10.

Augustina Foglietta, an accountant from Houston, summed up the feeling of many about car commercials. "Hate 'em," she says. "I think they're boring, and there's just too many of 'em."

Going head-to-head

Results of ads similar in appeal and ads in selected products:

Consumer-generated ads

Company Description Score

Doritos Guy in car, girl show Doritos qualities. 7.95

NFL Fans mourn end of season. 7.43

Chevrolet Bare-chested guys wash HHR. 6.47

Doritos Checkout girl gets excited. 6.18

Soft drinks

Coca-Cola No more regrets for old man. 7.36

Snapple Green Tea Fan researches mystery ingredient in China. 7.27

Coca-Cola Video game guy does good deeds. 6.96

Sierra Mist Beard comb-over doesn't work. 6.66

Coca-Cola Black History Month tribute. 6.50

Coca-Cola Inside a Coke vending machine. 6.44

Sierra Mist Karate students defend soft drink. 6.15

BigRedChief
02-05-2007, 08:11 AM
How all the ads ranked in USA TODAY's Super Bowl Ad Meter
Updated 2/5/2007 12:03 AM ET
How all the commercials ranked

Advertisers paid up to $2.6 million for a 30-second ad in the Super Bowl.

10 most popular

Company
Description
Length (in sec.)
Qtr.
Score

Budweiser
Crabs worship Bud ice chest.
4th

Budweiser
Stray dog and the Clydesdales.
2nd

Bud Light
Rock, Paper, Scissors game for beer.
1st

Doritos
Guy in car, girl show Doritos qualities.
1st

Bud Light
Immigrants learn to ask for Bud Light.
1st

Bud Light
Wedding shortened by auctioneer.
1st

Bud Light
Ape loses out on beer while posing.
3rd

FedEx
FedEx truck on the moon.
1st

Snickers
Mechanics enjoy candy bar.
1st

Bud Light
Scary hitcher gets ride for Bud Light.
3rd

The rest

Blockbuster
Rabbit uses (real) mouse to order.
1st

NFL
Fans mourn end of season.
4th

Coca-Cola
No more regrets for old man.
2nd

Snapple Green Tea
Fan researches mystery ingredient.
4th

Taco Bell
Lions chat about new Taquitos.
3rd

CareerBuilder.com
Dodging darts in office jungle.
2nd

Emerald Nuts
Robert Goulet and low energy danger.
3rd

General Motors
Factory robot dreams he's fired.
2nd

E-Trade
What one finger can do.
4th

Schick
Quattro tested in gym workout.
1st

Coca-Cola
Video game guy does good deeds.
2nd

T-Mobile
Fan doesn't recognize Charles Barkley.
3rd

Toyota
Tundra accelerates, stops at cliff.
1st

Disney
Movie trailer for Wild Hogs.
2nd

Bud Light
Slapping replaces fist bumping.
2nd

Sierra Mist
Beard comb-over doesn't work.
1st

CareerBuilder.com
Fight for promotion in office jungle.
3rd

CareerBuilder.com
Performance review in office jungle.
4th

Coca-Cola
Black History Month tribute.
2nd

Chevrolet
Bare-chested guys wash HHR.
2nd

Coca-Cola
Inside a Coke vending machine.
3rd

Bud Select
Jay-Z, Don Shula play 3-D football.
4th

Frito-Lay
Black History Month tribute.
2nd

Doritos
Checkout girl gets excited.
2nd

FedEx
Can't judge people by their names.
3rd

Sierra Mist
Karate students defend soft drink.
1st

Disney
Movie trailer for Meet the Robinsons.
3rd

Prudential Financial
What rocks can do for you.
4th

Izod
PerformX sportswear in the snow.
4th

Sprint
Mobile broadband connections.
2nd

Chevrolet
Stars sing songs with Chevy in lyrics.
1st

E-Trade
Bank robs customers.
3rd

Lionsgate
Movie trailer for Pride.
1st

Toyota
Tundra tows load on see-saw ramp.
3rd

Hewlett-Packard
PC, motorcycles, American Chopper star.
4th

Honda
Fuel efficiency of Hondas.
4th

Honda
Elvis' Burning Love for new CR-V.
4th

GoDaddy.com
GoDaddy marketing department parties.
1st

King Pharma.
Guy in heart suit attacked by risks.
2nd

Van Heusen
Man dressed for any occasion.
3rd

Nationwide Ins.
Kevin Federline dreams of rap career.
3rd

Weinstein Co.
Movie trailer for Hannibal Rising.
4th

5 least popular

GoDaddy.com
2nd airing of marketing department.
4th

Garmin
GPS navigator vs. paper map monster.
2nd

Flomax
Prostate drug lets men bike, kayak.
4th

Revlon Colorist
Sheryl Crow sings new song.
3rd

Salesgenie.com
Salesgenie.com helps sales success.
1st

Delano
02-05-2007, 08:17 AM
I made the tragic mistake of not getting my SB grub on Friday. Put it off until after church. Mouth breathers were every where. I was the third person in the 20 item or less line at Wal-Mart. They have the chattiest cashiers. So I'm standing there and the cashier comes around from her station to hug the customer. I'm not making this up. Evidently they knew each other. I wanted to implement a 20 word or less line. They chatted as the cashier scanned each item. And whenever the clerk was talking, she quit moving. Then came the change counting. Half way through that process, the cashier froze every inch of her body, except her lips which were moving a mile a mintue. KILL. KILL. KILL. Then came the long goodbye. So good to see you. It's been so long. Turn, take two steps, turn back. We really need to get together. Call me. Okay, see you soon. GRRR.

You should recognize the genius that is self-checkout. The only reason I am able to suffer through the morons that hang out in walmart all day is because I can check my own shit out and don't have to listen to a cashier talk about the sale on bananas or what the weather is like because the bitch has been inside all day.

Kraut
02-05-2007, 08:31 AM
I found the careerbuilder.com ones to be the best.

Chief Chief
02-05-2007, 08:42 AM
The "Inside the Coke Machine" and "Coke Video Game Guy" ads had great animation BUT it appeared to me that the folks who created 'em were habitually doing lines of coke.

ROYC75
02-05-2007, 09:00 AM
I liked the Blockbuster as the funniest ......

Count Alex's Wins
02-05-2007, 09:01 AM
The "Inside the Coke Machine" and "Coke Video Game Guy" ads had great animation BUT it appeared to me that the folks who created 'em were habitually doing lines of coke.

Those were both repeats anyway.

Redrum_69
02-05-2007, 09:01 AM
Can I still be a Chiefs fan if I didnt watch the Super Bowl?

Cave Johnson
02-05-2007, 11:10 AM
C'mon man. The gay Snickers-eating mechanics was hilarious.

jeffrho68
02-05-2007, 11:11 AM
Its not a new ad, but i ALWAYS end up jamming along to the Cadillac spot that has, i believe, Iggy Pop singin' about "drivin' down the street, i'm bored with lookin' good"......can someone tell me who that is??? Is it the Stooges or just Iggy???
The song is called "Punkrocker" by a swedish band called The Teddybears. Yep, that's Iggy on the vocal.

Cochise
02-05-2007, 11:11 AM
I am sick of the cutesy Budweiser commercials. It's either a mutt who wants to be a dalmatian, or a pony who wants to be a Clydesdale... give me a break. :rolleyes:

TinyEvel
02-05-2007, 11:15 AM
I'm really friggin' miffed that this friggin GoatChees thread trumped my ****OFFICIAL**** commercial thread. :cuss:

dirk digler
02-05-2007, 11:17 AM
I can't believe the Bud commercial with the crabs was #1. I didn't think that was funny or good at all.

58-4ever
02-05-2007, 11:18 AM
Can I still be a Chiefs fan if I didnt watch the Super Bowl?

Hell, you can be the Head Coach!