PDA

View Full Version : is the cover 2 really all that?

HMc
02-05-2007, 02:16 AM
yeah, i know. there's a thread on this already, but it's a gochiefs effort and therefore you probably won't be going in there and if you do it falls apart after one page when clayton randomly brings up a cock reference. cool.

Anyway, anytime i see the cover 2 mentioned in print or on tv, they're always going on about this zone behind the LOS that the offence can exploit for ~10 yard gains. and that the point is not giving up the big play. what's the point of that? So you let them "dink and dunk" down the field but don't give up the big one. when they get to the red zone they don't NEED a big one. do they? I'd have thought that as defence you'd want to encourage (bait them i guess i mean) deep balls (greater risks), and not give up the easy yards.

What have i missed, and how does it (or how is it supposed to) work?

tk13
02-05-2007, 02:30 AM
The idea is most of the offenses in today's game aren't patient enough, or skilled enough, to make a 12-14 play drive over and over again. When it looks bad it looks like Chicago did tonight, no pass rush, letting Indy control the clock and take little chunks at a time. But Indy in the playoffs was the perfect example of it doing well... they stopped the run, got you in 3rd and long, and you had no chance because they had speed swarming everywhere, and you had 3 seconds or less to make a decision before their rush got to you. So you bail out and take that underneath stuff, which they swarm all over.

tk13
02-05-2007, 02:50 AM
And really, look at the last two Super Bowls, they've been sloppy games, whoever makes the fewest mistakes is winning. Which is what the Cover 2 tries to do. Parity has almost devolved into Martyball, just try not to screw up the most... and now Cowher and Dungy actually won titles. The Colts have weapons but really they've been very conservative in the playoffs, they basically won it dinking and dunking and kicking FG's.

Silock
02-05-2007, 03:21 AM
It doesn't matter what offense or defense you run, for the most part. All of these guys know what they're doing. You just have to have good talent in the right places.

Deberg_1990
02-05-2007, 05:45 AM
The Colts have weapons but really they've been very conservative in the playoffs, they basically won it dinking and dunking and kicking FG's.

Yea, thats the irony of it all isnt it? They won with their defense, not the offense or Mannings arm so much.

HMc
02-05-2007, 05:46 AM
manning keeps the defence honest though

dj56dt58
02-05-2007, 08:24 AM
You don't run the cover 2 every play...You mix it up. Bring extra guys on a blitz when they don't expect it. Most offenses don't have the patience to settle for dinks and dunks all day. They'll try to go deep anyways and get picked off. Also cover 2 is great for the red zone because there is no place to throw the ball, thus causing a lot of red zone turnovers...

htismaqe
02-05-2007, 09:35 AM
And really, look at the last two Super Bowls, they've been sloppy games, whoever makes the fewest mistakes is winning. Which is what the Cover 2 tries to do. Parity has almost devolved into Martyball, just try not to screw up the most... and now Cowher and Dungy actually won titles. The Colts have weapons but really they've been very conservative in the playoffs, they basically won it dinking and dunking and kicking FG's.

That misdirection draw to Addai out of the shotgun is extra special! :thumb:

SLAG
02-05-2007, 10:24 AM
Dink and Dunk

88TG88
02-05-2007, 10:46 AM
You don't run the cover 2 every play...You mix it up. Bring extra guys on a blitz when they don't expect it. Most offenses don't have the patience to settle for dinks and dunks all day. They'll try to go deep anyways and get picked off. Also cover 2 is great for the red zone because there is no place to throw the ball, thus causing a lot of red zone turnovers...
i agree with this idea.

cdcox
02-05-2007, 10:47 AM
The other thing that happens with the Cover 2 is that as the offense enters the redzone, the field shrinks and the deep zones go away. That is when the dink and dunk gets harder to complete and the offense ends up settling for a FG more times than not, as mentioned by dj56dt58.

But the Chiefs, Ravens, and Bears put themselves in redzone-type situations everywhere on the field. In order for the dink and dunk to work in the middle of the field, you have to make the safeties respect the deep ball. Otherwise, you end up with 3 yard gains on pass completions instead of 8 yard gains becuase the safties, LB and everyone else is crammed into an area 10 to 15 yards within the LOS. The Colts understand this and they ran some deep patterns on every pass play, but tend to throw the underneath stuff that is open. This is what the Chiefs, Ravens and Bears failed to do against Indy. They ran very few deep patterns the entire game. Every play was a run or a 3-7 yard pass. The Chiefs, Ravens and Bears all had occasions where they completed two passes on the same series, yet did not get a first down. That is a clear of indication as any that your offense is broken. We never stretched them to force them into a legit cover 2, which would have opened up the dink and dunk and the running game, but instead let them keep all their players near the LOS. To have an offense run very few patterns longer than 10 yards must be a defensive coordinators dream. It's like we were running every play in the red zone where the field is compressed, but without the counter-balancing advantage of being able to score if a play is successful.