PDA

View Full Version : Herm Did More With Less

petegz28
02-06-2007, 09:23 AM
I know this is all reiterations but some need the reminder obviously...

No Roaf, no RT, an aged Will Shields, no T-Rich, no DT's above average, no Priest Holmes\LJ combo, no Saunders, rookie OC that had head in ass syndrome, injured starting QB for 8 weeks out of the gate..

result:
9-7 record and playoff appearance.
Defense went from 31 to 16
Offense dropped from 1 - 16

Given everything he had to work with I would say the drop in offense was to be expected.

Could we have made some better decisions? Sure
Is there room for improvment? Most definitely
Did we do better than what most would expect given the situation? Yes

So before you send Herm down the river I would say you have to ask yourself what might of happened with a real LT and FB offensively?

Woodrow Call
02-06-2007, 09:30 AM
No argument from me. I think Herm did a pretty good coaching job this year.

FringeNC
02-06-2007, 09:32 AM
And we fell from a top 5 Sagarin-ranked team to a bottom 15 Sagarin-ranked. team.

We were 5-7 against real football teams. Our ridiculously easy schedule masked just how far the team fell.

petegz28
02-06-2007, 09:34 AM
And we fell from a top 5 Sagarin-ranked team to a bottom 15 Sagarin-ranked. team.

We were 5-7 against real football teams. Our ridiculously easy schedule masked just how far the team fell.

Once again you seem to lose grasp of the realties.

Let's look at your commetns a sec...we fell from a top 5 team that never made it to the playoffs to a bottom 15 that made it...

HMMM...

No Roaf, No T-Rich, No Al Saunders, injured Trent Green..

WOW I wonder why we fell so much offensivley???

Sure-Oz
02-06-2007, 09:35 AM
I'd rather not make the playoffs by relying on other teams and then one we get in lay a damn goose egg on offense and really show that we didn't belong.

Warrior5
02-06-2007, 09:35 AM
I completely agree with this.

Having said that, I'm giving him '07 as a rebuilding year. He'll lose my confidence if the Chiefs don't contend in '08.

dj56dt58
02-06-2007, 09:37 AM
Once again you seem to lose grasp of the realties.

Let's look at your commetns a sec...we fell from a top 5 team that never made it to the playoffs to a bottom 15 that made it...

HMMM...

No Roaf, No T-Rich, No Al Saunders, injured Trent Green..

because Herm doesn't know what a forward pass is? You can't blame it all on Solari..you have to blame Herm as well. He's the head coach, therefore it was just as much his job, if not more, to make better decisions on offense.

petegz28
02-06-2007, 09:37 AM
I'd rather not make the playoffs by relying on other teams and then one we get in lay a damn goose egg on offense and really show that we didn't belong.

Really? I will take it any way I can.

petegz28
02-06-2007, 09:39 AM
because Herm doesn't know what a forward pass is? You can't blame it all on Solari..you have to blame Herm as well. He's the head coach, therefore it was just as much his job, if not more, to make better decisions on offense.

I agree but in the light of things what pass protection did you see that would allow us to go down field?

I think Solari just didn't know how to call a game. Hopefulyl that will change.

And no it was NOT his job to make more decisions on offense. That is what an OC is for.

We saw what happened with Vermeil and the defense. So naturally with Herm you are going to see some of the opposite.

Sure-Oz
02-06-2007, 09:40 AM
Really? I will take it any way I can.
I will take getting into the playoffs anyway as well, but atleast show up and make the game interesting for more than a quarter. Our showing was the worst I can remember in recent memory in the playoffs.

FringeNC
02-06-2007, 09:43 AM
I don't see how one could be optimistic after watching perhaps the worst-coached NFL game ever.

petegz28
02-06-2007, 09:44 AM
I will take getting into the playoffs anyway as well, but atleast show up and make the game interesting for more than a quarter. Our showing was the worst I can remember in recent memory in the playoffs.

Well I won't argue that. But I think some of that had to do with Freeney eating up Black, Weigman unable to power block and a genuine lack of mixing up play calls.

By the same token our D shut down the Colts offense.

Oh yeah and our all-world kicker missing chip shots.

petegz28
02-06-2007, 09:46 AM
I don't see how one could be optimistic after watching perhaps the worst-coached NFL game ever.

Dude if it is one thing I have learned since the salary cap it's you can never predict next year based on last year.

FringeNC
02-06-2007, 09:48 AM
Dude if it is one thing I have learned since the salary cap it's you can never predict next year based on last year.

I agree. I'd be very optimistic if we swapped Herm for Belichick. I'd say start printing playoff tickets.

Sure-Oz
02-06-2007, 09:49 AM
Well I won't argue that. But I think some of that had to do with Freeney eating up Black, Weigman unable to power block and a genuine lack of mixing up play calls.

By the same token our D shut down the Colts offense.

Oh yeah and our all-world kicker missing chip shots.
Yeah, the defense did a really good job of keeping us in it the whole game. It was a shame to waste that effort. I will give Herm another year or 2 at the worst. There has to be adjustements and he had to have learned something from that loss. I'd hope.

petegz28
02-06-2007, 09:51 AM
Yeah, the defense did a really good job of keeping us in it the whole game. It was a shame to waste that effort. I will give Herm another year or 2 at the worst. There has to be adjustements and he had to have learned something from that loss. I'd hope.

I give him 2 more years or so. Of course we need to continue to see maturity in the D and a total 180 on our O. I don't mind and in fact I like the power running game. But if we don't use the P\A Pass then I will say we have issues.

Woodrow Call
02-06-2007, 09:51 AM

My reasons

1. Herm won 9 games with a broken down shell of a team.
2. Herm has the D going in the right direction.
3. Herm has shown the ability to draft well and build good football teams.

For the last 3 yrs I read how the offense is going to decline due to age. It finally happened and everyone is shocked. Some people blame Herm for that; I don't.

El Jefe
02-06-2007, 09:52 AM
petegz28, I Like this post as I have said numerous times on this board, I like Herm as a head Coach and I think he did a good job with what he had. You stick anybody in his position with the offense and he loses Trent and a Hall of Fame tackle and a Pro Bowl FB, I think we managed pretty well.

Sure-Oz
02-06-2007, 09:52 AM
I give him 2 more years or so. Of course we need to continue to see maturity in the D and a total 180 on our O. I don't mind and in fact I like the power running game. But if we don't use the P\A Pass then I will say we have issues.
That was always a big part of our success is the PA passing, really didn't work well this year. The D looked alot better we'll see what happens when we actually get a real solid DT or 2 in there.

scott free
02-06-2007, 10:07 AM
My reasons

For the last 3 yrs I read how the offense is going to decline due to age. It finally happened and everyone is shocked. Some people blame Herm for that; I don't.

A very solid argument.

Reerun_KC
02-06-2007, 10:10 AM
A very solid argument.

along with very weak one...

We all knew this was going to happen and yet Carl brings in a sub .500 coach that was fired, for a 4th round pick, and gives him nothing to help him on the offensive side of the ball....

Then we endure the preacher's antics all season long...

scott free
02-06-2007, 10:15 AM
along with very weak one...

We all knew this was going to happen and yet Carl brings in a sub .500 coach that was fired, for a 4th round pick, and gives him nothing to help him on the offensive side of the ball....

Then we endure the preacher's antics all season long...

So is your prob with Carl or Herm???

Herm also couldnt help Roaf's INCREDIBLY ill-timed decision.

There also isnt a coach in the NFL who could have gotten a winning record out of a 3rd string QB & a totally washed up Testaverde.

Chiefnj
02-06-2007, 10:16 AM
Herm overachieved for a few weeks with Huard at the helm. Then when the Chiefs had the western title in their grasps they fell apart and under-achieved, eventually needing a miracle to make the post-season. They were clearly outclassed, outplayed and outcoached in the postseason demonstrating that they aren't a serious title contender at this point.

StcChief
02-06-2007, 10:17 AM
My reasons

For the last 3 yrs I read how the offense is going to decline due to age. It finally happened and everyone is shocked. Some people blame Herm for that; I don't.Yep.

Give Herm some draft/FAs to build on.
Seems to have done well with Jets building the team. Despite what fans say about him.

Playoff Colts game away. Yeah he FU.

08 Schedule NFCN - AFCS

el borracho
02-06-2007, 10:22 AM
The only expectations I have of Herm Edwards is to draft well. We may make the playoffs once or twice but I can't imagine Edwards taking us to the SuperBowl.

FAX
02-06-2007, 10:31 AM
I look forward to Herm doing morer with lesser this year.

Dick Curl. The X-Factor.

FAX

Reerun_KC
02-06-2007, 10:36 AM
So is your prob with Carl or Herm???

Herm also couldnt help Roaf's INCREDIBLY ill-timed decision.

There also isnt a coach in the NFL who could have gotten a winning record out of a 3rd string QB & a totally washed up Testaverde.

Same problem with Carl that every Chiefs fan has, He is only worried about the butts in the seats and not the product on the field.

Problem with Herm? Like I have stated many times, I will never give Herm a fair shake, His coaching style is 20 years old, never had a record of 10-6 or better, never takes the blame (throws everyone under the bus but him), Uses we when things go right, and they when they go wrong, on top of that is he a complete tool on his game day decisions.

Just like some people didnt like Dick, Marty, Stram, Leavy or who ever else you want to put in that list. I dont like Herm, didnt like him in NYJ and damn sure wont like him in KC.

Agian I will never give Herm a fair shake and IF he wins a big game or the big game? I will take my crow and gladly BBQ it to perfection and eat the shit out of it, until then, Herm and his band of fake cronies can kiss my a$$....

Fish
02-06-2007, 10:54 AM
Agian I will never give Herm a fair shake and IF he wins a big game or the big game? I will take my crow and gladly BBQ it to perfection and eat the shit out of it, until then, Herm and his band of fake cronies can kiss my a$$....

So you'll never give Herm a fair shake.... except if he wins a big game or the big game, then you'll admit you were wrong?

And you don't see anything unreasonable or biased about this approach?

The world is flat, and it will always be flat..... until somebody sails around the world... then it will be round... until then, science can kiss my a$$..... ?

Reerun_KC
02-06-2007, 10:58 AM
So you'll never give Herm a fair shake.... except if he wins a big game or the big game, then you'll admit you were wrong?

The world is flat, and it will always be flat..... until somebody sails around the world... then it will be round... until then, science can kiss my a$$..... ?

Hey, if you dont like my honesty about the situation, put me on ignore.. No I admit and have along time ago, that I will never give Herm a fair shake. Period!

Yes, IF herm wins the Super Bowl I will admit I am wrong, Acutally if he just coaches in an AFC championship game I will admit I am wrong. But there hasnt been anything in his coaching career to lead anyone to think other wise.

People sail around the world? You serious?

Sure-Oz
02-06-2007, 11:05 AM
Hey, if you dont like my honesty about the situation, put me on ignore.. No I admit and have along time ago, that I will never give Herm a fair shake. Period!

Yes, IF herm wins the Super Bowl I will admit I am wrong, Acutally if he just coaches in an AFC championship game I will admit I am wrong. But there hasnt been anything in his coaching career to lead anyone to think other wise.

People sail around the world? You serious?
I think you are right in a sense, the man has to show results.

Wile_E_Coyote
02-06-2007, 11:06 AM
Warfield is gone, Hicks & Sims are no longer starting. The Ty Law groupies got their man. Wesley & Knight's futures as Chiefs are not certain. This time last year several would be more than overjoyed with that fact

Messier
02-06-2007, 11:39 AM
I will take getting into the playoffs anyway as well, but at least show up and make the game interesting for more than a quarter. Our showing was the worst I can remember in recent memory in the playoffs.

You know, I heard Clinkscale say something like this 0n 810. Was it really the worst in resent memory? I maintain it wasn't even the worst in this years playoffs. I'd be more embarrassed if I were a Baltimore fan with that showing. Staying with worst in recent memory, however, how far back we going? Five years? I say the two times the Broncos went to the Colts and got blown out were much worse than our loss. I'm just saying...

FAX
02-06-2007, 11:41 AM
You know, I heard Clinkscale say something like this 0n 810. Was it really the worst in resent memory? I maintain it wasn't even the worst in this years playoffs. I'd be more embarrassed if I were a Baltimore fan with that showing. Staying with worst in recent memory, however, how far back we going? Five years? I say the two times the Broncos went to the Colts and got blown out were much worse than our loss. I'm just saying...

Please refrain from attempting to make sense, Mr. Messier.

We're trying to throw poop here.

FAX

Halfcan
02-06-2007, 11:43 AM
All that taken into account-Herm still can't manage a game. Those screw ups fall right on him.

FringeNC
02-06-2007, 11:50 AM
Did Herm have more or less talent on defense? Was the defense appreciably better, especially after adjusting for strength of schedule?

It's funny how it's all Herm supposedly improving our defense, but blameless in the collapse of our offense.

I want those in the pro-Herm camp to rank GMs and head coaches in our division, then ask themselves again if there is reason for optimism. Does anyone have Peterson or Herm better than 3rd?

HemiEd
02-06-2007, 11:53 AM

The answer is blowing in the wind. Run, Run, Pass -Punt

88TG88
02-06-2007, 11:55 AM
My reasons

:clap: rep

Woodrow Call
02-06-2007, 11:55 AM
Did Herm have more or less talent on defense? Was the defense appreciably better, especially after adjusting for strength of schedule?

It's funny how it's all Herm supposedly improving our defense, but blameless in the collapse of our offense.

I want those in the pro-Herm camp to rank GMs and head coaches in our division, then ask themselves again if there is reason for optimism. Does anyone have Peterson or Herm better than 3rd?

I'd rank Herm/CP ahead of DV/CP based on talent evaluation alone. I would rank Denver 1st with SD and KC about the same.

Baby Lee
02-06-2007, 12:01 PM
Hey, if you dont like my honesty about the situation, put me on ignore..
WTF is up with this new tact.
"My opinion is sacrosanct. If you observe any flaws in it, please refrain from pointing them out and just put me on ignore."

You're free to spout your opinion, KC Fish is free to point out how 'tarded it is.

Win-Win.

Wonder how that take applies in the case of Mr. Trent Green? :hmmm:

FringeNC
02-06-2007, 12:05 PM
I'd rank Herm/CP ahead of DV/CP based on talent evaluation alone. I would rank Denver 1st with SD and KC about the same.

You think Carl is as good as AJ Smith?

Chiefnj
02-06-2007, 12:06 PM
People keep talking about huge defensive improvements this last year. The difference in points allowed between 2005 and 2006 was very small; only 10 points (325 in 2005 and 315 in 2006).

Baby Lee
02-06-2007, 12:14 PM
People keep talking about huge defensive improvements this last year. The difference in points allowed between 2005 and 2006 was very small; only 10 points (325 in 2005 and 315 in 2006).
They're blanking out post-dildo party games.

Seriously, I think the crucial aspect of most folks estimation of the D's improvement is the performance against the Colts. I wouldn't have thought it possible.

FAX
02-06-2007, 12:16 PM
You didn't think what was possible, Mr. Baby Lee?

FAX

Baby Lee
02-06-2007, 12:19 PM
You didn't think what was possible, Mr. Baby Lee?

FAX
The D perf against peytie-pie.

HonestChieffan
02-06-2007, 12:24 PM
The good news for the Chiefs is that there are people who think Herm will do ok.

Then there are the rest of us that dont believe in Bigfoot, the Easter Bunny, or that The Chiefs did not get lucky this year.

Keep expectations low, avoid disappointment.

FAX
02-06-2007, 12:25 PM
Ah. Thanks for the clarification. The defense did okay in that game. At least until they got tired. It appears that there are pro-Herms, anti-Herms, wait-and-see Herms, and utter Hermicidals.

Which category are you in at this juncture, Mr. Baby Lee?

FAX

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-06-2007, 12:26 PM
I too think Herm did pretty good. Better than Vermeil.

HonestChieffan
02-06-2007, 12:27 PM
Mr Easter Bunny, let me introduce Beer me

Baby Lee
02-06-2007, 12:31 PM
Ah. Thanks for the clarification. The defense did okay in that game. At least until they got tired. It appears that there are pro-Herms, anti-Herms, wait-and-see Herms, and utter Hermicidals.

Which category are you in at this juncture, Mr. Baby Lee?

FAX
A meh-Herm who wanted Stoops or Fisher [or now Cowher], who is just glad that the D is no longer the most embarassing unit in the history of the league, waiting and seeing on all the rest.

FAX
02-06-2007, 12:33 PM
A meh-Herm who wanted Stoops or Fisher [or now Cowher], who is just glad that the D is no longer the most embarassing unit in the history of the league, waiting and seeing on all the rest.

Fair enough.

For my part, Herm has transformed me into a very bitter person. I didn't think that was possible. I'm weary of rebuilding every 5 years back to the point where we lose in the first round of the playoffs ... then starting all over again. This decade, it looks like we're going retro.

I can only hope that Dick Curl can get this thing turned around.

FAX

BIG_DADDY
02-06-2007, 12:40 PM
Herm shouldn't coach high school ball. After finding out he never watches the Superbowl I am more convinced than ever that he shouldn't be coaching period. What does he have to do that is more important than seeing what successfull coaches are doing, drawing up another plan on how to run straight at 8 in the box?

Reerun_KC
02-06-2007, 12:42 PM
WTF is up with this new tact.
"My opinion is sacrosanct. If you observe any flaws in it, please refrain from pointing them out and just put me on ignore."

You're free to spout your opinion, KC Fish is free to point out how 'tarded it is.

Win-Win.

Wonder how that take applies in the case of Mr. Trent Green? :hmmm:

and you are free to drink all of Herm's Kool-Aid, no matter how delusional you get, you are always welcome to post here as well.

HonestChieffan
02-06-2007, 12:43 PM
Fair enough.

For my part, Herm has transformed me into a very bitter person. I didn't think that was possible. I'm weary of rebuilding every 5 years back to the point where we lose in the first round of the playoffs ... then starting all over again. This decade, it looks like we're going retro.

FAX

When I spoke with Carl this morning, he mentioned that. He hopes the bitterness will subside as well. He asked me to say hi.

Redrum_69
02-06-2007, 12:44 PM
how to run straight at 8 in the box?

Oh....I'd like to slamdunk this one...but

i'll be nice...

no really...i promise....

Reerun_KC
02-06-2007, 12:45 PM

I would go for those 3....

It would of been a perfect time for Carl to step up and doing something a little risky. Ya Know, outside the box.

Carl could of injected new life into the Chiefs with a hire other than someone from his pathetic myspace freinds list.

Hiring Herm was not risky, but a safe p*ssy move. With that being made, the Chiefs took a major step back.

Reerun_KC
02-06-2007, 12:46 PM
When I spoke with Carl this morning, he mentioned that. He hopes the bitterness will subside as well. He asked me to say hi.

Did your rochambaux him when you spoke with him this morning?

Baby Lee
02-06-2007, 12:50 PM
Fair enough.

FAX
I should also add, that I feel that grousing about Herm, at this point, is about as useful an exercise as bitching about the arrowhead on the side of the helmet, or that their colors are red and gold.

Fried Meat Ball!
02-06-2007, 12:51 PM
I don't have any issues with Herm over last year. My problems are from Solari's playcalling.

BIG_DADDY
02-06-2007, 12:54 PM
Oh....I'd like to slamdunk this one...but

i'll be nice...

no really...i promise....
LMAO

That had to be really hard for you.

The Rick
02-06-2007, 12:55 PM
Please refrain from attempting to make sense, Mr. Messier.

We're trying to throw poop here.

FAX
:clap:

FAX
02-06-2007, 12:56 PM
I should also add, that I feel that grousing about Herm, at this point, is about as useful an exercise as bitching about the arrowhead on the side of the helmet, or that their colors are red and gold.

I agree completely, Mr. Baby Lee. That's the entire problem in a nutshell. I don't want to spend time complaining about Herm, yet I am compelled to do so. It's as if I have been possessed by a demon. If he were here right now, I'd spin my head around and puke green slime on his sweater.

FAX

BIG_DADDY
02-06-2007, 01:06 PM
I agree completely, Mr. Baby Lee. That's the entire problem in a nutshell. I don't want to spend time complaining about Herm, yet I am compelled to do so. It's as if I have been possessed by a demon. If he were here right now, I'd spin my head around and puke green slime on his sweater.

FAX

ROFL I couldn't have said it better myself. ROFL

Reerun_KC
02-06-2007, 01:12 PM

FAX

Heres the thing, Herm is like a bad comedian with zero fresh material over the last 6 years....

We watched, laughed, ridiculed the NYJ fans and Herm for years. Never thinking that his tired, predictable act would ever show up on the doorsteps of Arrowhead.

Now we are the ones the are getting laughed at and ridiculed by others.

So what are we supposed to do, blindly drink his kool-aid, walking around saying "everything will be ooookkkkaaayyy?"

GoHuge
02-06-2007, 01:15 PM
I would much rather blow the whole thing up, start with a young necleus, and build through the draft. That is the only way to be a year in year out contender. I'll take a 4-12 year to contend from here on out. That is the only way to get there. This barely sniffing the playoffs and have a historically bad showing when we get there is embarrasing. We didn't get a first down until there was 3 minutes left in the third quarter! 9-7, 10-6, it's all the same. Your never gonna get there doing what the Chiefs have been doing. Reboot

Woodrow Call
02-06-2007, 01:21 PM
Heres the thing, Herm is like a bad comedian with zero fresh material over the last 6 years....

We watched, laughed, ridiculed the NYJ fans and Herm for years. Never thinking that his tired, predictable act would ever show up on the doorsteps of Arrowhead.

Now we are the ones the are getting laughed at and ridiculed by others.

So what are we supposed to do, blindly drink his kool-aid, walking around saying "everything will be ooookkkkaaayyy?"

I was too busy admiring the fact that the Jets actually got to go to the playoffs to laugh and ridicule them.

POND_OF_RED
02-06-2007, 01:22 PM

No Roaf, no RT, an aged Will Shields, no T-Rich, no DT's above average, no Priest Holmes\LJ combo, no Saunders, rookie OC that had head in ass syndrome, injured starting QB for 8 weeks out of the gate..

result:

Given everything he had to work with I would say the drop in offense was to be expected.

So before you send Herm down the river I would say you have to ask yourself what might of happened with a real LT and FB offensively?

Herm hired Solari.

I blame the whole Roaf thing on Carl. Carl wanted the people to think that Roaf was coming back so they would come to the games because everone knows what our offense was like without him.

Woodrow Call
02-06-2007, 01:26 PM
I blame the whole Roaf thing on Carl. Carl wanted the people to think that Roaf was coming back so they would come to the games because everone knows what our offense was like without him.

I knew he would be a bad GM when he drafted Blackledge. People just wouldn't listen.

Reerun_KC
02-06-2007, 01:26 PM
I was too busy admiring the fact that the Jets actually got to go to the playoffs to laugh and ridicule them.

That is the problem with the Chiefs and the fans, we want the one and done and not an AFC Championship or Superbowl appearance...

yeah yeah I know, you have to get there first, Well we got there and Herm dusted off the "How to Coach like Marty in the Playoffs" book and to much happiness of the ChiefsPlanet, we were "one and done"

Woodrow Call
02-06-2007, 01:28 PM
That is the problem with the Chiefs and the fans, we want the one and done and not an AFC Championship or Superbowl appearance...

yeah yeah I know, you have to get there first, Well we got there and Herm dusted off the "How to Coach like Marty in the Playoffs" book and to much happiness of the ChiefsPlanet, we were "one and done"

2 playoff wins in NY.

Reerun_KC
02-06-2007, 01:29 PM
2 playoff wins in NY.

And yet they still fired him.... Why?

Woodrow Call
02-06-2007, 01:31 PM

Never heard about the firing.

Link?

Brock
02-06-2007, 01:31 PM

Did they?

Baby Lee
02-06-2007, 01:32 PM
because they didn't. . . :shrug:

Reerun_KC
02-06-2007, 01:33 PM
Never heard about the firing.

Link?

Oh that is right they were going to fire him, but Carl step in and saved the day for the Jets and offered a 4th round pick for "the Savior".

How did we get so lucky?

Brock
02-06-2007, 01:35 PM
Oh that is right they were going to fire him

Link?

Reerun_KC
02-06-2007, 01:36 PM
Link?

K give me a few, I am at work, so it will take a bit..

I will head over to Jetsnation and get some info...

Brock
02-06-2007, 01:40 PM
K give me a few, I am at work, so it will take a bit..

I will head over to Jetsnation and get some info...

If all you can come up with is blather from a jets board, don't bother.

Reerun_KC
02-06-2007, 01:43 PM
If all you can come up with is blather from a jets board, don't bother.

Nope but that is a good place to start for links and info.... Besides, they know more about the fuqtard than we do....

HonestChieffan
02-06-2007, 01:49 PM
I prefer Smokey Links

Reerun_KC
02-06-2007, 02:18 PM
Oh boy, here comes the foot in mouth for myself! I hate to admit it, but I was wrong....

From a Mod at Jets Nation.

The bottom line was this -- Herm was not going to be fired. He had been working on the K.C. plan for months. Once the Jets realized that is what he wanted they knew they couldn't bring him back. Getting a 4th rounder for him (Leon
Washington) was a nice surprise.

But there is a lot of hate in Jet Nation over Herm's tenure. He said one thing and did another and it left a bad taste behind.

FringeNC
02-06-2007, 02:24 PM
Herm Edwards was not going to have his contract extended by the Jets...whether you want to call that a firing or not....?

Reerun_KC
02-06-2007, 02:30 PM
Herm Edwards was not going to have his contract extended by the Jets...whether you want to call that a firing or not....?

Regardless, I thought the media and everyone was saying wasnt going to be coaching at NYJ the next year, then Carl comes in on his White Stud Horse and rescues theSavior from futher embarrasment..

But maybe I was wrong?

Dr. Van Halen
02-06-2007, 03:10 PM
Same problem with Carl that every Chiefs fan has, He is only worried about the butts in the seats and not the product on the field.

AAAARRRRRGGGGH!

Peterson wants to win a championship.

Peterson is not just concerned with the bottom line/butts in seats, etc.

Peterson is an average GM who has made some very good decisions and some very bad decisions. He made great decisions in the early '90's. He made some horrible decisions in the late '90's. It's too early to say how he's done in the past five years.

Please, the media keeps spouting this mantra about Peterson because they personally and professionally have problems with him. He is at times rude and aggressive, and seems to consider the media to be a pain in his arse.

He has taken personal shots at Kietzman, Harry, and many others who routinely and vociferously complain about him and claim he only cares about the bottom line.

Any time I hear anyone on this board saying that Peterson doesn't care about what happens on the field I assume that the poster is an 810 employee or is a mindless drone of an 810 employee.

Fish
02-06-2007, 03:24 PM
Regardless, I thought the media and everyone was saying wasnt going to be coaching at NYJ the next year, then Carl comes in on his White Stud Horse and rescues theSavior from futher embarrasment..

But maybe I was wrong?

And you tell others here that they are drinking kool-aid?? I think you might still have your head plunged into that giant vat of green kool-aid that the Jets trolls tried to drag on to the planet....

Chiefnj
02-06-2007, 03:27 PM

But maybe I was wrong?

He wasn't going to coach the next year because everyone knew KC wanted him and he wanted out of NY. The Chiefs are very lucky tampering charges were never filed.

HonestChieffan
02-06-2007, 03:45 PM
In corporate world Herm was not being fired, he was part of a right sizing.

|Zach|
02-06-2007, 03:52 PM
In corporate world Herm was not being fired, he was part of a right sizing.
He did everything in 1 year that the previous worker did in his whole tenure.

Seems like a smart company would keep him on.

Luzap
02-06-2007, 03:53 PM

result:

petegz28, I really like your post. I haven't read all the replies, but there may be some giving you crap about it...

Don't worry, you're just 30 days ahead of most peole's thinking :)
I really believe that the next two years can be exciting for us. I also believe that Herm is a good coach. What I know is that only time will tell.

Luz
willing to give the time and enjoy the journey...

Luzap
02-06-2007, 03:55 PM
AAAARRRRRGGGGH!

Peterson is an average GM who has made some very good decisions and some very bad decisions. He made great decisions in the early '90's. He made some horrible decisions in the late '90's. It's too early to say how he's done in the past five years.

Please, the media keeps spouting this mantra about Peterson because they personally and professionally have problems with him. He is at times rude and aggressive, and seems to consider the media to be a pain in his arse.

He has taken personal shots at Kietzman, Harry, and many others who routinely and vociferously complain about him and claim he only cares about the bottom line.

Any time I hear anyone on this board saying that Peterson doesn't care about what happens on the field I assume that the poster is an 810 employee or is a mindless drone of an 810 employee.

Luz
:clap:

Bearcat
02-06-2007, 04:26 PM

Totally agree... it's always about the talent lost on offense, but not the talent & experience gained on defense.

Either way, it's mediocrity, and I agree that the schedule made us look better than we were. We won 7 of 9 because of who we played, and the conservative/defensive style will keep us in just about every game.

Until someone, anyone, wins a playoff game...

Chief Roundup
02-06-2007, 06:13 PM

I look at it a little differently as far as making the playoffs. If 9-7 is what it takes to get it we did it and they didn't.
If our game was the last one of the day on Sunday we would not of been "relying" on other teams to lose. We would of be "relying" on ourselves to win.
Bottum line we did what it took and all of the other teams didn't do what it took.

Chief Roundup
02-06-2007, 06:29 PM
Keep expectations low, avoid disappointment.

Yeah and don't ever try because you might fail. :rolleyes:

Bill Parcells
02-06-2007, 06:29 PM

Newsflash! Damon Huard had 11 TD's and 1 INT and played great,and your boy Hermy fired his coach Terry Shea..what does that tell you?

BigRock
02-06-2007, 07:12 PM
Newsflash! Damon Huard had 11 TD's and 1 INT and played great,and your boy Hermy fired his coach Terry Shea..what does that tell you?
LMAO

So now it's because of Terry Shea that Huard played well? Um, okay. Then it's also Terry Shea's fault that Trent played so badly.

milkman
02-06-2007, 07:54 PM
LMAO

So now it's because of Terry Shea that Huard played well? Um, okay. Then it's also Terry Shea's fault that Trent played so badly.

I think his point is that Huard played at a much higher level than anyone could have expected, and that Shea should be given credit for that.

Green never returned to form as a result of the concussion.

He's a QB coach, not a doctor, Jim.

Fish
02-06-2007, 08:55 PM

Hermy is not my boy.... and by your logic Trent Green should have done just as well as Huard when he came back from injury... he didn't...

BigRock
02-06-2007, 10:28 PM
I think his point is that Huard played at a much higher level than anyone could have expected, and that Shea should be given credit for that.

Trent played fine against the Browns, though. And if he had gotten a few other soft defenses to play after he came back, he probably would have put up similar numbers. But his performance there just reinforced the same pattern we saw all season. Let's not forget that as well as Huard did against the likes of the 49'ers and the Rams, he wasn't any better against the Steelers or Dolphins than Trent was against the Ravens or Jags.

If anyone wants to line up and heap praise on Terry Shea for the games where Huard played well... and he deserves credit, though certainly not all of it... then they also need to blame him for the games where the QB play struggled. And there were more games featuring the latter last season, from both QBs.

Extra Point
02-06-2007, 10:50 PM
This is for sure: There were no "funny plays" this past season, and there will be none this coming season.

The only problem I have with Herm is that he's just like George Allen, but he doesn't have the hogs. You can't establish the run before passing, without a strong line.

Throwing on 1st down was a rarity. The quick slant is a very powerful weapon, and it was severely underused when Green was on the field. Glad LJ has a record, but I'm sure he'd rather have a ring.

Bill Parcells
02-06-2007, 11:05 PM
LMAO

He certainly shouldn't have been fired..that makes no sense.

Tell me why Shea was fired?is that an easier question? ROFL

Bill Parcells
02-06-2007, 11:07 PM
Hermy is not my boy.... and by your logic Trent Green should have done just as well as Huard when he came back from injury... he didn't...
Well by your logic Herm should fire himself also..Green was coming back from a head injury..

Bill Parcells
02-06-2007, 11:08 PM

Exactly!

BigRock
02-07-2007, 12:41 AM
Tell me why Shea was fired?is that an easier question? ROFL
Yeah, that's a fairly easy one.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2730008

Just days after indicating that he will rework the Kansas City playbook for 2007, Chiefs coach Herm Edwards has fired quarterbacks aide Terry Shea, a move that probably signals a major overhaul in the team's offensive design.

Shea, 60, had strong ties to former Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil and was a devotee of onetime offensive coordinator Al Saunders. With Edwards determined to move in a different direction, and perhaps scrap much of the offense with which the former staff operated, the dismissal of Shea was not surprising.

Bill Parcells
02-07-2007, 01:09 AM
Yeah, that's a fairly easy one.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2730008
Why did he keep him on to begin with?
He should have known that in January of last year,right?

FAX
02-07-2007, 01:14 AM

Good question, Mr. Vos. I'm pretty certain that Shea probably said something along the lines of, "Hey Herm, maybe we should consider running play action on first down once in a while?"

At which point, Herm had two options: Think or Fire.

FAX

SPchief
02-07-2007, 01:19 AM

Possibly to keep a little bit of continuity with the offense. I'd be willing to guess that if Herm fired EVERY offensive coach on his second day last year, this team would have went 1-15.

Messier
02-07-2007, 07:20 AM
AAAARRRRRGGGGH!

Couldn't agree more. What people seem to forget when saying all Peterson cares about is a full stadium, is the he has an ego the size of Nebraska. So of course he wants a Super Bowl, probably more than most fans. What else would feed said ego.

Fish
02-07-2007, 08:04 AM
Well by your logic Herm should fire himself also..Green was coming back from a head injury..

How often does a coach take his team to the playoffs in his first season and get fired at the end of the year?? That's not to say he didn't screw up a lot, but he still overcame adversity and got the team in the playoffs. To me that deserves another year to draft and improve.

As far as Shea is concerned.... shouldn't Shea have been the one to realize Green wasn't recovered and shouldn't have been starting? He was the QB coach and had more contact than anybody with Green and Huard. Wouldn't it have made sense that Shea should have been the one to tell Herm that Green wasn't ready? Maybe his lack of action was a contributing factor? That's just a guess...

Chiefnj
02-07-2007, 08:45 AM
How often does a coach take his team to the playoffs in his first season and get fired at the end of the year?? That's not to say he didn't screw up a lot, but he still overcame adversity and got the team in the playoffs. To me that deserves another year to draft and improve.

As far as Shea is concerned.... shouldn't Shea have been the one to realize Green wasn't recovered and shouldn't have been starting? He was the QB coach and had more contact than anybody with Green and Huard. Wouldn't it have made sense that Shea should have been the one to tell Herm that Green wasn't ready? Maybe his lack of action was a contributing factor? That's just a guess...

Shea shoud have been the one to tell Herm to run some plays where the OL could actually protect his QB's for more than 2 seconds. But, that was obvious to everybody; except Herm and Solari.

Baby Lee
02-07-2007, 09:37 AM
Shea shoud have been the one to tell Herm to run some plays where the OL could actually protect his QB's for more than 2 seconds. But, that was obvious to everybody; except Herm and Solari.
Stan to his dog - "don't be gay."
Shea to the O-Line - "don't suck."

Baby Lee
02-07-2007, 09:42 AM
Dude, he came in with everyone on earth saying "this offense is a juggernaut, don't eff it up, they're a veteran unit that knows what they're doing, concentrate on fixing the D." So he kept the O personnel in place and the personnel subsequently took a mass field trip to the AARP.
You can't simultaneously tell him to keep his mitts off the 'can't miss' O, and blame him for said O going to shit after the fact.