PDA

View Full Version : Paper topic

SNR
02-06-2007, 03:55 PM
My cousin is a freshman in college and has an enormous thesis due for one of her gen ed. requirements. She said there are about 42 different sections of the class and they all have a different subject. Her section is doing the 1960's.

We're pretty close so I've been one of the first people she comes to when she has a problem. She doesn't know what to do for a topic. I mentioned all of the normal things... Kennedy assassination, vietnam protests, man on the moon, Bay of Pigs, Civil Rights movement, rioting, all that, but she said she wants to do something "original."

Marijuana jokes aside (for you smartasses out there) can you think of something "original" from the 1960s that would be good to write a large thesis on?

Reaper16
02-06-2007, 03:56 PM
Bob Dylan

DMAC
02-06-2007, 03:57 PM
The fall of Syd Barrett

Iowanian
02-06-2007, 03:58 PM
"Free Love, STDs and You."

Monty
02-06-2007, 04:02 PM
Is she really wanting to do something original or just something that hasn't been picked by any of the other students? ;)

Some ideas are:
The race to space/the moon
Woodstock
RFK Assassination
MLK Assassination
Whatever happened to the cast of Laugh-In? ok, kidding....
Did Gatorade really help the Chiefs win SB IV like the commercial states?
How many licks does it REALLY take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop? Did we ever find out?

Ok..as you can see, I'm digressing a bit.... ;)

siberian khatru
02-06-2007, 04:04 PM
The British Mod movement

SNR
02-06-2007, 04:07 PM
Is she really wanting to do something original or just something that hasn't been picked by any of the other students? ;)

Some ideas are:
The race to space/the moon
Woodstock
RFK Assassination
MLK Assassination
Whatever happened to the cast of Laugh-In? ok, kidding....
Did Gatorade really help the Chiefs win SB IV like the commercial states?
How many licks does it REALLY take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop? Did we ever find out?

Ok..as you can see, I'm digressing a bit.... ;)I think that's it. She's kind of stubborn like that. She wants fresh, because that will make her seem smart to other people.

Again, those are all on the list of possible topics and she says they're "boring." There's no real reasoning with her though, sadly.

Donger
02-06-2007, 04:08 PM
I think that's it. She's kind of stubborn like that. She wants fresh, because that will make her seem smart to other people.

Again, those are all on the list of possible topics and she says they're "boring." There's no real reasoning with her though, sadly.

Women's Liberation sounds apropos.

seclark
02-06-2007, 04:09 PM
mini skirts
sec

rageeumr
02-06-2007, 04:12 PM
I have always found it interesting how the arrival of guys like Wernher von Braun really kickstarted the space program and how that led to an accelerated awareness and emphasis on math and science education.

Then again, I'm a total effing nerd.

JimNasium
I've always found the clash of civilizations in 1960s Mississippi to be facinating.

Iowanian
Have her do a paper on the societal effects had due to the saturday cartoon lessons which name escapes me.

The tootsie roll train and whatnot....jingos with lessons? Its not Saturday TV Funhouse.....wtf.......

penguinz
02-06-2007, 04:14 PM
Have her do it on Ahmed Hassan al-Bakr's rise to power in Iraq.

Monty
02-06-2007, 04:16 PM
Women's Liberation sounds apropos.

I agree. :thumb:

Donger
02-06-2007, 04:17 PM
I have always found it interesting how the arrival of guys like Wernher von Braun really kickstarted the space program and how that led to an accelerated awareness and emphasis on math and science education.

Then again, I'm a total effing nerd.

"Our Germans are better than their Germans!"

Iowanian
"How women's lib ruined the world" by Becky.

mikeyis4dcats.
I did a paper once on xenotransplantation....using animal parts as human organ replacements. IIRC that process began in the 60s.

noa
02-06-2007, 04:25 PM
I've always been interested in Freedom Summer (1964) and specifically the murder of James Chaney, Michael Schwerner and Andrew Goodman.

Stewie
02-06-2007, 04:26 PM
The history of Gilligan's Island.

Start a Ginger vs. Mary Ann debate amongst her male friends. That would add alot to the paper.

Arrowhead Pride
02-06-2007, 04:28 PM
The "New Left" political/social movement

cdcox
02-06-2007, 04:30 PM
Here is an original rough idea. She'll have to hone it into a defined topic. Basically, the untold story of the majority. Despite the upheavals of the '60s millions of Eisenhower republicans at the beginningof the decade were Nixon republicans at the end of the decade. It's like they traveled through the Kennedy and King assasinations, the race riots, the summer of love, Vietnam, war protests, and a complete upheval of popular culture completely unaffected. They were in a little bubble where everything bounced off. This happened to people of all ages. I know people who wenth through their teen years during the 60's who never grew their hair, smoked dope, voted democrat or anything else. There are millions of these people, but the cultural history of the '60 pretends they didn't exist because they maintained the status quo of mainstream America of the post-war years, and that's boring. There has to be a good thesis in there somewhere. Won't be easy to write because she'll have to think on her own.

cdcox
02-06-2007, 04:32 PM
Or the growth of Vegas in the '60s. That would be an interesting topic to me.

DeepSouth
02-06-2007, 04:33 PM
The Athletics leaving and the Royals being conceived in 1969.

Sully
02-06-2007, 04:34 PM
I would think Lenny Bruce would be fascinating to write on. Obviously she would have to narrow it down to something specific about him, but she would have access to tons of resources in writing it, and could pull any number of outside themes into it (society, government, racial/ ethnic relations, drugs).

SNR
02-06-2007, 04:50 PM
Here is an original rough idea. She'll have to hone it into a defined topic. Basically, the untold story of the majority. Despite the upheavals of the '60s millions of Eisenhower republicans at the beginningof the decade were Nixon republicans at the end of the decade. It's like they traveled through the Kennedy and King assasinations, the race riots, the summer of love, Vietnam, war protests, and a complete upheval of popular culture completely unaffected. They were in a little bubble where everything bounced off. This happened to people of all ages. I know people who wenth through their teen years during the 60's who never grew their hair, smoked dope, voted democrat or anything else. There are millions of these people, but the cultural history of the '60 pretends they didn't exist because they maintained the status quo of mainstream America of the post-war years, and that's boring. There has to be a good thesis in there somewhere. Won't be easy to write because she'll have to think on her own.Interestingly enough, she's a political science major. That sounds right up her alley, something like that. Her one idea was to somehow incorporate Barry Goldwater's libertarian ideas into the voting patterns throughout the decade, but she was worried she wouldn't find enough information to go around. But I think she's going to have to realize that unless she does something like LBJ's War on Poverty, she's not going to find much in the way of politics. She may as well work her ass off and produce a paper that pleases her AND her professor in the way she wants to.

I'll let her know. Thanks for the suggestion

Jenson71
02-06-2007, 05:26 PM
Robert McNamara!

Also, in the 1960's, films became more...gritty. There was more blood and sex and drugs. Look at Easy Rider and Bonnie and Clyde and Midnight Cowboy. These films had some heavy cultural impacts. The Graduate is another one.

Lyndon Johnson's Great Society.

The Peace Corps.

88TG88
02-06-2007, 05:30 PM
the watts riots in LA

Jenson71
02-06-2007, 05:32 PM
The Democratic National Convention in 1968

Rachel Carson's Silent Spring

Andy Warhol, gay

Truman Capote, gay

Gore Vidal, gay

Gay People in the 1960s

The 1968 Summer Olympics and Black Panther

Engel v. Vitale

Ralph Nadar and the Consumer Movement

Muhammed Ali and the Draft

patteeu
02-06-2007, 05:48 PM
The effect of Ralph Nadar's "Unsafe At Any Speed" on the consumer movement.

The impact of the first heart transplant surgery.

The effects of the Six Day war between Israel and her Arab neighbors.

The helter skelter (Manson) murders.

The heyday of the Black Panthers

Sesame Street is introduced to American TV audiences.

MIAdragon
02-06-2007, 05:54 PM
How about 60ís literature? Its combines both what was happening in the political arenas and social issues of America at that time. A few examples;
Harper Lee's Pulitzer prize winning novel To Kill a Mockingbird is a story about a small southern town and social distinctions between races. Writing about race and gender, women of color like Gwendolyn Brooks, Maya Angelou and Margaret Walker Alexander helped create new insights on feminism as it developed in America. Sylvia Plath (The Bell Jar), and Mary McCarthy (The Group) spoke of women in roles outside those of the happy wife and mother of the fifties. Women like Betty Friedan, author of The Feminine Mystique , and Gloria Steinem , led the way for many women. Disillusionment with the system was the theme of books like Catch-22 and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Im a big fan of era of the American muscle car, but thatís just meÖ..

jidar
02-06-2007, 05:56 PM
How about 60ís literature? Its combines both what was happening in the political arenas and social issues of America at that time. A few examples;
Harper Lee's Pulitzer prize winning novel To Kill a Mockingbird is a story about a small southern town and social distinctions between races. Writing about race and gender, women of color like Gwendolyn Brooks, Maya Angelou and Margaret Walker Alexander helped create new insights on feminism as it developed in America. Sylvia Plath (The Bell Jar), and Mary McCarthy (The Group) spoke of women in roles outside those of the happy wife and mother of the fifties. Women like Betty Friedan, author of The Feminine Mystique , and Gloria Steinem , led the way for many women. Disillusionment with the system was the theme of books like Catch-22 and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Im a big fan of era of the American muscle car, but thatís just meÖ..

wow, good answer.

freestater
02-06-2007, 06:04 PM
What about the infancy of the 'cult phenomenon' in America? What was the proper catalyst from the '60s that exploded cult membership?

Thig Lyfe
02-06-2007, 06:15 PM
Unfortunately there's no "I Love the 60's" on VH1 from which she could get ideas.

Rain Man
02-06-2007, 06:32 PM
The decline and fall of the hair curler.

http://extremewigs.com/60scurlerstyle.jpg

Simplex3
02-06-2007, 06:41 PM
She's a 19 year old poli-sci major who's trying to impress people instead of learn?

Hell, any commie or tin-horn dictator will do that just fine.

Simplex3
02-06-2007, 06:43 PM
The effects of the Six Day war between Israel and her Arab neighbors.
Nice.

SNR
02-06-2007, 07:10 PM
She's a 19 year old poli-sci major who's trying to impress people instead of learn?And this is any different from other political science majors in what way?

Rain Man
02-06-2007, 07:18 PM
How about a report on how long it took for the 48-star flag to disappear from public buildings?

NewChief
02-06-2007, 07:18 PM
Some "interesting" ideas:

The Haight-Ashbury
The Zodiac Killer
The Jim Jones cult in the 60s.
The Grateful Dead
Bill Graham (huge music promoter in the 60s)
The Acid Tests
The Rainbow Family
How the Beatniks influenced the Hippies.
The Hells Angels
How Methamphetamines wrecked the Hippies.
The Black Panthers

Rain Man
02-06-2007, 07:33 PM
Serious proposal: have her interview people who were around in the Sixties, and ask them about memories they have about the time that were really specific to the era. Then analyze those to see what were really the enduring legacies of that era.

For example, some of my era-specific memories are:

1. playing with my little green army men in the living room while watching television footage of the Vietnam War on the news.

2. seeing people with a telescope in a drugstore parking lot trying to see Apollo 11.

3. Wondering why TV kept advertising shows "in living color" when our TV was only black and white.

chief52
02-06-2007, 10:19 PM
How about a report on how long it took for the 48-star flag to disappear from public buildings?

I saw one 10 years ago hanging in a gym. It was classic...literally!

chief52
02-06-2007, 10:22 PM
Some "interesting" ideas:

The Haight-Ashbury
The Zodiac Killer
The Jim Jones cult in the 60s.
The Grateful Dead
Bill Graham (huge music promoter in the 60s)
The Acid Tests
The Rainbow Family
How the Beatniks influenced the Hippies.
The Hells Angels
How Methamphetamines wrecked the Hippies.
The Black Panthers

Were you in California in the 60's? Northern California?

Mr. Kotter
02-06-2007, 10:52 PM
Interestingly enough, she's a political science major. That sounds right up her alley, something like that. Her one idea was to somehow incorporate Barry Goldwater's libertarian ideas into the voting patterns throughout the decade, but she was worried she wouldn't find enough information to go around. But I think she's going to have to realize that unless she does something like LBJ's War on Poverty, she's not going to find much in the way of politics. She may as well work her ass off and produce a paper that pleases her AND her professor in the way she wants to.

I'll let her know. Thanks for the suggestioncdcox's suggestion is a good one, though it has been done before....so I don't know how original it is. Unfortunately, people didn't find it interesting enough....because next to the counter-culture and idealism (the hippies and the achievements) of the Sixties, it's boring. Nixon understood it at the time though: it was the Silent Majority (and it's much more complicated than a 'racist backlash.')....and it won him two improbable Presidential elections. Too bad he understood it, but failed to trust it. It's the "rightward swing" of the historical "political pendulum."

Bottom-line was many people became fed up with the anger, the rancor, the contentiousness, the turbulence, and the "revolutions"--and they just wanted to get on with their lives. It's a cyclical occurrence in American Politics: after Reconstruction, after WWI, after WWII, after the Civil Rights Movement & Anti-war Protests of the Sixties, and after the social and political strife of the 1970s (Watergate, the Carter Presidency.) Each time the American people elected Republican Presidents to lead the nation back toward what Harding called "normalacy." Too bad the current occupant of the WhiteHouse apparently didn't pay attention to the phenomena in his studies, although 9/11 does complicate the matter some.

It's why many Americans, sadly, cheered when Daily and the cops cracked hippies' heads in Chicago in 1968---it's why people in theaters cheered when the redneck in the pickup blew away the biker in Easy Rider. It was a backlash--by otherwise civil, polite, and reserved people, who were just fed up.

It's something most liberals simply can't grasp; and it's why my own Democratic party keeps electing people like Nancy Pelosi, Hillary, and Howard Dean to head their party....and are aghast when the public fails to embrace them. They underestimate "us."

cdcox
02-06-2007, 11:54 PM
Serious proposal: have her interview people who were around in the Sixties, and ask them about memories they have about the time that were really specific to the era. Then analyze those to see what were really the enduring legacies of that era.

For example, some of my era-specific memories are:

1. playing with my little green army men in the living room while watching television footage of the Vietnam War on the news.

2. seeing people with a telescope in a drugstore parking lot trying to see Apollo 11.

3. Wondering why TV kept advertising shows "in living color" when our TV was only black and white.

Cool idea. My contributions:

1. My dad explaining that just because someone had long hair didn't necessarily mean they were girls. You had to look for bumps on their chest.

2. I also remember getting our first color TV, just in time for the SB game played in Jan of 1970. In a history-repeats-itself note, I heard that sales of HD TVs set record level highs the last two weeks.

3. Playing army pretending the Germans were the bad guys. The dad explaining to me that the Germans were our friends now and that our previous war was against the Koreans and the current one against the Vietmanese. I had never heard those names before and thought they were very exotic sounding.

boogblaster
02-07-2007, 12:11 AM
The 60s in the Heartland was laid-back..the dollar bought you a dollars worth of product..mom and pop businesses made families a living..you knew your neighbor..you knew your neighbors dogs name..you didn't lock your doors at nite..your girlfriend was happy just to go to a movie and have fun..people could take a vacation..you could hunt or fish about anywhere just had to ask permission..people weren't lazy they worked for their money..food tasted better not all the perservites..didn't have to drink bottled water..even had four seasons..this list could go on forever..myself we were better off in the 60s....

Jenson71
02-07-2007, 12:15 AM
The decline and fall of the Coast to Coast store.

FAX
02-07-2007, 12:23 AM
This is interesting to me and I've been giving it quite a bit of thought, Mr. SNR. I have some ideas, but I should refine them before suggesting.

When does your cousin need to select the topic?

FAX

SNR
02-07-2007, 12:28 AM
This is interesting to me and I've been giving it quite a bit of thought, Mr. SNR. I have some ideas, but I should refine them before suggesting.

When does your cousin need to select the topic?

FAXI think this Thursday. Although what's going to stop her if she doesn't start until a bit later?

FAX
02-07-2007, 12:31 AM
That's good, Mr. SNR. I'll post something tomorrow or the next day in respect to a topic or two. I think a thesis on the '60s could be extremely interesting if the right approach is chosen.

Many of the problematic issues we face today were inadvertently fostered in that decade.

FAX

SNR
02-07-2007, 12:35 AM
That's good, Mr. SNR. I'll post something tomorrow or the next day in respect to a topic or two. I think a thesis on the '60s could be extremely interesting if the right approach is chosen.

Many of the problematic issues we face today were inadvertently fostered in that decade.

FAXThat's why I said.

And some of those problems exist today. Such as the appalling lack of diversity in the Smartest Planeteer Poll. Really, one can make a case that the 60's still hasn't ended yet. We're working on it, but haven't succeeded.

I hope the 60s end soon so we can enjoy January 1970 once more

BTAU
02-07-2007, 02:03 AM
Since she is a political science major, she might be interested in the effect that the televised presidential debates of 1960 changed the face of American Politics. Shifting from more of a content based structure to a game of perception.

NewChief
02-07-2007, 05:26 AM
Were you in California in the 60's? Northern California?

No, I wasn't even born in the 60s. I was just pretty into the whole 60s counterculture thing when I was in college.

chief52
02-07-2007, 08:24 AM
No, I wasn't even born in the 60s. I was just pretty into the whole 60s counterculture thing when I was in college.

I see. I was born in the late 50's so I do not remember all the stuff you talk about first hand, but I have read and heard a lot about it as well. A lot of that stuff you mention was SF/Bay Area stuff. But I guess San Francisco was kind of a hub for that type of activity in the 60's.

Bill Graham ended up dieing in a helicopter crash in Vallejo, Ca returning from a concert in 1991. His helicopter got hung up in high voltage lines in bad weather. He was still the biggest promoter around.

SNR
02-07-2007, 02:07 PM
Since she is a political science major, she might be interested in the effect that the televised presidential debates of 1960 changed the face of American Politics. Shifting from more of a content based structure to a game of perception.Interesting idea. What if Nixon handled the Cuban Missle Crisis instead of Kennedy? Would things be any different?

Fat Elvis
02-07-2007, 02:40 PM
But I think she's going to have to realize that unless she does something like LBJ's War on Poverty, she's not going to find much in the way of politics.

:eek: :doh!: :shake: :bong: