PDA

View Full Version : snickers ad

wilas101
02-06-2007, 08:59 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070206/ap_on_bi_ge/super_bowl_snickers_ad

Snickers ad pulled after complaints

Tue Feb 6, 5:52 PM ET

A commercial for Snickers candy bars launched in the Super Bowl broadcast was benched after its maker got complaints that it was homophobic.

The ad showed two auto mechanics accidentally kissing while eating the same candy bar and then ripping out some chest hair to do something "manly." One of the alternate endings on the Snickers Web site showed the men attacking each other.

The Human Rights Campaign and the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation complained to the maker of Snickers, Hackettstown-based Masterfoods USA, a division of Mars Inc., which also makes M&M's and other candies.

The Web site also featured video of players from the Super Bowl teams reacting to the kiss.

"This type of jeering from professional sports figures at the sight of two men kissing fuels the kind of anti-gay bullying that haunts countless gay and lesbian school children on playgrounds all across the country," Human Rights Campaign president Joe Solmonese said in a statement.

GLAAD spokesman Marc McCarthy said Tuesday the group believed "this kind of prejudice was inexcusable."

Masterfoods spokeswoman Alice Nathanson issued a statement in which she said the company would stop running the ad on television and the Web site.

"As with all of our Snickers advertising, our goal was to capture the attention of our core Snickers consumer," Nathanson wrote.

"Feedback from our target consumers has been positive. In addition, many media and website commentators of this year's Super Bowl commercial line-up ranked the commercial among this year's top ten best. USA Today ranked it 9 of its top ten picks," she continued.

"We know that humor is highly subjective and understand that some people may have found the ad offensive. Clearly that was not our intent," she wrote.

Masterfoods brands include Uncle Ben's rice, Pedigree dog food and Whiskas cat food. It is part of Mars Inc., a family-owned company.

pulled for being homophobic? how ghey

ChiefButthurt
02-06-2007, 09:04 PM
I saw the commercial when first shown....I didn't see the humor. Not that it was ghey....just wasn't funny. I don't like any candy bar well enough to get close to some dude. :Lin:

Phobia
02-06-2007, 09:04 PM
I heard that on the radio.

I'm guessing they figured they would get MORE pub by pulling it than letting it run.

DJay23
02-06-2007, 09:05 PM
Jesus tapdancing Christ. I'm sick of tiny groups of whiny bitches ruining it for everyone else.

Hey Gay people, if you don't like the Snickers commercial, have a parade and boycott Snickers.

By the way, that was my favorite commercial from the Super Bowl.

Deberg_1990
02-06-2007, 09:07 PM
Jesus tapdancing Christ. I'm sick of tiny groups of whiny bitches ruining it for everyone else.

Hey Gay people, if you don't like the Snickers commercial, have a parade and boycott Snickers.

Agreed. Just another example of an overly PC society. This crap has gotten way out of hand.

Is it possible to make something that wont offend some section of society these days????

OnTheWarpath58
02-06-2007, 09:09 PM
This country has turned into a bunch of hypersensitive sandy 'giners.

We've got gays and lesbians pissed at Snickers commercials.

Jews pissed off about Christmas trees in Airports.

Christians pissed off about Muslims praying on airplanes.

Foreigners pissed of that we don't speak their language.

The list goes on and on.

Quit your ****ing whining, people.

Cochise
02-06-2007, 09:09 PM
Right after I saw the two dudes locking lips, I turned to the guy next to me and said, "I've bought my last Snickers."

:Lin:

ChiefFan31
02-06-2007, 09:26 PM
I found that commercial to be gross.

But good gawd, that article.

The pussification continues...

88TG88
02-06-2007, 09:28 PM
Foreigners pissed of that we don't speak their language.

i think its the other way around

OnTheWarpath58
02-06-2007, 09:32 PM

It goes both ways, I was referring to an article that someone posted here a month or two back about this woman who was pissed that a store owner couldn't understand her and essentially refused her service.

ChiefFan31
02-06-2007, 09:32 PM

Yes, but its not PC as an American to stand up for our own rights. But we need to apologize and bend over backwards for foreigners and accomodate them. That is what pussification is.

Fairplay
02-06-2007, 09:34 PM
Grossman thinks the ad is great. Enough said.
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D2pcGABklyw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D2pcGABklyw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Fish
02-06-2007, 09:48 PM
Is it possible to make something that wont offend some section of society these days????

Did you miss the asexual pregame show??

Frazod
02-06-2007, 09:51 PM
Christ, if anything it was TOO GAY. The queens should be thrilled. Hell, it was even gayer than their previous ex-jock manlove guitar commercial, and that was gay as hell. :shake:

I'm sticking with Reeses.

Taco John
02-06-2007, 10:07 PM
Heh... (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=52817)

Taco John
02-06-2007, 10:08 PM
Also, I think their cover story is bullshit. I think they pulled the ad because people were almost universally abhorred by it and they didn't want to admit failure. So instead they pulled it and blamed it on gays.

Tested well with their core demographic my ass...

|Zach|
02-06-2007, 10:11 PM
Yes, but its not PC as an American to stand up for our own rights. But we need to apologize and bend over backwards for foreigners and accomodate them. That is what pussification is.
How have you bent over backwards and accommodated for foreigners,

Thig Lyfe
02-06-2007, 10:13 PM
I just didn't think it was funny...

Cochise
02-06-2007, 10:27 PM
Also, I think their cover story is bullshit. I think they pulled the ad because people were almost universally abhorred by it and they didn't want to admit failure. So instead they pulled it and blamed it on gays.

Tested well with their core demographic my ass...

EGG-ZACTLY

sedated
02-06-2007, 10:33 PM
yet another thing the gays had to ruin.

like the name 'Clancey'

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-06-2007, 10:34 PM
I wasn't offended... I just thought it was one of the dumbest commercials ever.

Guru
02-06-2007, 10:50 PM

Exactly. Somebody always has to whine about this crap though.

It got the most laughs at the sports bar I was at. Favre and the Kfed commercials got applause.

sedated
02-06-2007, 10:53 PM
It got the most laughs at the sports bar I was at.

did it have a rainbow in the window?

Thig Lyfe
02-06-2007, 10:54 PM

It got the most laughs at the sports bar I was at. Favre and the Kfed commercials got applause.
I loved the Favre one.

Cochise
02-06-2007, 10:55 PM

Thuper Bowl party at 'Buddies'! :p

Guru
02-06-2007, 10:57 PM
Absolutely NOT.

NTTAWWT

sedated
02-06-2007, 10:58 PM
Thuper Bowl party at 'Buddies'! :p

the blue oyster has the best backdoor parties

C-Mac
02-06-2007, 11:05 PM
Christ, if anything it was TOO GAY. The queens should be thrilled. Hell, it was even gayer than their previous ex-jock manlove guitar commercial, and that was gay as hell. :shake:

That was my first thought too, that it was way too implicative. Now for the singing snickers commercial, have to admit I liked that one.
Is there a better candy than Reeses?

C-Mac
02-06-2007, 11:13 PM
The gay community frequently freaks out if people that prefer being hetrosexual, do anything to promote being hetrosexual.
Even though I dont like the ad, I think Snickers is spineless to pull it for said reasons.

Extra Point
02-06-2007, 11:15 PM
I'm glad it's not on, not GLAAD.

ChiefFan31
02-06-2007, 11:30 PM
How have you bent over backwards and accommodated for foreigners,

That is witty.

I press 1 for English. That is more than too much.

Sure-Oz
02-06-2007, 11:33 PM
snickers is gay packed with penis

boogblaster
02-06-2007, 11:52 PM
There's no "Sissy-Kissing" in Football ...

Demonpenz
02-07-2007, 12:45 AM
I got a hard on just thinking of sucking newget and nuts all over my mouth

|Zach|
02-07-2007, 12:54 AM
That is witty.

I press 1 for English. That is more than too much.
I didn't think you would give a real answer.

Sure-Oz
02-07-2007, 01:10 AM
I got a hard on just thinking of sucking newget and nuts all over my mouth
ROFL

ChiefFan31
02-07-2007, 01:28 AM
I didn't think you would give a real answer.

Why would I?

Anyong Bluth
02-07-2007, 01:34 AM
2 points:

1st, when I saw it I didn't think it was funny in the least bit and was a bit put off by watching it. It was a bit uncomfortable in my taste- esp. for a SB ad.

2nd, if the gay community wants to have a full say and discourse of the discussion w/ today's relevant majority, why should one's opinion being voiced that such behavior would warrant other's adverse reaction to accidentally kissing another of the same sex, than another's reaction that such behavior is completely in the norm.

Two viewpoints, equally valid. Just because your opinion is heard, doesn't mean it has to be blanketly approved by all. Welcome to the reality of dissenting opinion. On a sidenote, I don't have a problem with the gay community. In fact I know a number of gay people and think nothing of it and have a blast hanging around them. Just stop acting like a bunch of prancing, flaming queens about something so trivial as a campy advertisement.

The line is no longer about being PC, its about re-educating those that felt disenfranchised that just because you have a place at the table doesn't mean you're exempt from criticism or dissension. Check into it, its called freedom of choice & expression. The same values that vaulted many segmented groups into a position of having a voice that used to not even be heard.

|Zach|
02-07-2007, 01:57 AM
Why would I?
To show you had an actual point instead of just throwing out a vague strawman.

No biggie...maybe its best you go back to sleep...you have a long day to try to fend off all those foreigners keeping you down.

ChiefFan31
02-07-2007, 02:10 AM
To show you had an actual point instead of just throwing out a vague strawman.

No biggie...maybe its best you go back to sleep...you have a long day to try to fend off all those foreigners keeping you down.

Exactly why I didn't answer. I don't post a lot, but I'm around. I have seen you.

You don't want an answer, you just want to drop shit. You pick a post, that in your wisdom, deem to be ignorant and belittle that poster and make them feel stupid.

I have some pretty quality rants on the subject, but why would I try and change your liberal views? Waste of my time.

|Zach|
02-07-2007, 02:16 AM
Exactly why I didn't answer. I don't post a lot, but I'm around. I have seen you.

You don't want an answer, you just want to drop shit. You pick a post, that in your wisdom, deem to be ignorant and belittle that poster and make them feel stupid.

I have some pretty quality rants on the subject, but why would I try and change your liberal views? Waste of my time.
Fine, you don't have a take...you could have easily dropped one right here instead of taking the time to tell me you have nothing to say. ROFL

Take your strawman and go home.

ChiefFan31
02-07-2007, 02:33 AM
Fine, you don't have a take...you could have easily dropped one right here instead of taking the time to tell me you have nothing to say. ROFL

Take your strawman and go home.

Go home? Go back to bed?

Move along with your cool guy bullshit.

el borracho
02-07-2007, 02:38 AM

Zach's question, "How have you bent over backwards and accommodated for foreigners?", is a legit question, IMO. You obviously have strong feelings on the subject. Why not elucidate a bit?

ChiefFan31
02-07-2007, 02:52 AM
Zach's question, "How have you bent over backwards and accommodated for foreigners?", is a legit question, IMO. You obviously have strong feelings on the subject. Why not elucidate a bit?

I never stated that I personally bend over backwards for foreigners. I am talking about the pussification of America. I have strong feelings towards an illegal alien who can go and get free health care, while my Dad while self employed could not. He was drafted for the Vietnam war and went and served his country. What has someone who just jumped over the border done to deserve free health care? What about Arnold trying pass legislation that everyone will get free health care. What about the California prison system that is 25% full of Illegal aliens sucking up tax dollars? What about all the uninsured motorists that are clogging the freeways with current DMV registration and no car insurance? Hell I need a translator to order fast food out here. I could go on.

I did not want to answer Zach, because he is just looking to drop shit. He doesn't want to enter into discussion. He just wants to drop his little cool guy spiel which he has already done. I have seen it before. What would Zach know about foreigners anyways. Has he ever left Springfield? I live and work in a very culturally diverse area. I don't have a problem against all foreigners. That would be stupid. I do have a problem against some muslim lady going to court because she did not want to remove her veil to get her picture taken for her drivers license. I do have a problem with an import who comes to my country and just wants to take advantage of our system and suck up Social Security while going to Muslim mosques and preaching hate towards America.

Besides, I like to keep things light and fun. That is just how I do it. Arguing or getting into these discussions are a waste of my (free time, now that I am at home from work)

Thai Cheif
02-07-2007, 04:06 AM

That was my feeling. I thought the Fags would be pleased. Whatever.

bobbything
02-07-2007, 07:23 AM
I thought the ad was more offensive to heterosexuals. It was a blatant jab at homophobia, IMO. They were making fun of peoples' insecurities with homosexuality by the two guys saying, "Quick!! Do something manly!!"

They weren't poking fun of gay people. They were poking fun at homophobia.

Beside that, the commercial just made me feel queezy. The last thing I really want to watch is a couple of dudes making out.

Tribal Warfare
02-07-2007, 08:11 AM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EjuXbYW6KmE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EjuXbYW6KmE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

I thought the ad was funny as hell and didn't see the problem with it

Frosty
02-07-2007, 08:30 AM
I thought the ad was more offensive to heterosexuals. It was a blatant jab at homophobia, IMO. They were making fun of peoples' insecurities with homosexuality by the two guys saying, "Quick!! Do something manly!!"

They weren't poking fun of gay people. They were poking fun at homophobia.

Maybe. My first thought was that it was a take-off of the motel scene in "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles". :shrug:

Chief Nute
02-07-2007, 09:04 AM

It got the most laughs at the gay bar I was at. Favre and the Kfed commercials got applause.

I fixed your post.

bobbything
02-07-2007, 09:31 AM
Maybe. My first thought was that it was a take-off of the motel scene in "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles". :shrug:
I agree with that. It was like that stupid Carlos Mencia commercial that was a blatant rip-off of "Stripes."

Kerberos
02-07-2007, 12:04 PM
I never stated that I personally bend over backwards for foreigners. I am talking about the pussification of America. I have strong feelings towards an illegal alien who can go and get free health care, while my Dad while self employed could not. He was drafted for the Vietnam war and went and served his country. What has someone who just jumped over the border done to deserve free health care? What about Arnold trying pass legislation that everyone will get free health care. What about the California prison system that is 25% full of Illegal aliens sucking up tax dollars? What about all the uninsured motorists that are clogging the freeways with current DMV registration and no car insurance? Hell I need a translator to order fast food out here. I could go on.

I did not want to answer Zach, because he is just looking to drop shit. He doesn't want to enter into discussion. He just wants to drop his little cool guy spiel which he has already done. I have seen it before. What would Zach know about foreigners anyways. Has he ever left Springfield? I live and work in a very culturally diverse area. I don't have a problem against all foreigners. That would be stupid. I do have a problem against some muslim lady going to court because she did not want to remove her veil to get her picture taken for her drivers license. I do have a problem with an import who comes to my country and just wants to take advantage of our system and suck up Social Security while going to Muslim mosques and preaching hate towards America.

Besides, I like to keep things light and fun. That is just how I do it. Arguing or getting into these discussions are a waste of my (free time, now that I am at home from work)

I agree to the point where no one that comes to this country looking for free handouts (healthcare or otherwise) should get NOT a damn thing until you can ask for it in the language that is predominant and not having to spend millions of dollars anually to have interpretors and special sections just to accomodate you because you "No Obla" (sp?).

If you can't ask for it in English YOU DON'T GET IT !

If it is an Emergency than I have some sympathy, but short of needing some stiches you need to keep your ass at home and maybe if you LOVE this country enough you will study to be a citizen. Make the test so damn hard that ONLY the people that really want it can get a green card.

No OBLA?? Then you will starve and die because you think you are too good to learn my language.

I know this will never fly but it is definately how I feel on the subject.

Dartgod
02-07-2007, 12:40 PM
No OBLA??
WTF is an OBLA?

|Zach|
02-07-2007, 12:44 PM
WTF is an OBLA?
I think he means Habla

Baby Lee
02-07-2007, 12:47 PM
I'm assuming these special interest groups were equally outraged with Wilhelmena's fey assistant Marc was visibly ill at the prospect of hitting on a supermodel to get her 'it item' faux rabbit mini-skirt on Ugly Betty last week.
Being squicked out at the prospect of intimate contact with someone you're not attracted to is natural, not xxx-phobic.

Baby Lee
02-07-2007, 12:54 PM
Heh... (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=52817)
That commercial would have been fine if it were Lesbians lol...
Who wants to see two bull dykes pull each other's chest hair out?

kcfanXIII
02-07-2007, 01:02 PM
this year's ads sucked. JMO, but 9 out of 10 when there were only about 5 really good ones, isn't a great finish.

Kerberos
02-07-2007, 01:02 PM
WTF is an OBLA?

:cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

I think he means Habla

Thank You

I never claimed to learn another language so I had no clue how to spell Habla.

If I was going to move my ass to Mexico or somewhere in Central America you can bet your ASS I would know how to HABLA.

:D

BIG_DADDY
02-07-2007, 01:08 PM
The Human Rights Campaign and the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation complained to the maker of Snickers, Hackettstown-based Masterfoods USA, a division of Mars Inc., which also makes M&M's and other candies.

The Web site also featured video of players from the Super Bowl teams reacting to the kiss.

"This type of jeering from professional sports figures at the sight of two men kissing fuels the kind of anti-gay bullying that haunts countless gay and lesbian school children on playgrounds all across the country," Human Rights Campaign president Joe Solmonese said in a statement.

GLAAD spokesman Marc McCarthy said Tuesday the group believed "this kind of prejudice was inexcusable."

Professional victims, what else is new.

BIG_DADDY
02-07-2007, 01:10 PM
this year's ads sucked. JMO, but 9 out of 10 when there were only about 5 really good ones, isn't a great finish.

What was your favorite?

Reaper16
02-07-2007, 01:23 PM
I think he means Habla
When he should have meant Hablo.

bogie
02-07-2007, 01:23 PM
I thought it was funny. I'm too shallow to turn it into a debate. It made me laugh, that is all.

InChiefsHell
02-07-2007, 01:25 PM
Good Lord. These people get up in the morning and LOOK for shit to be offended by.

bogie
02-07-2007, 01:27 PM
Good Lord. These people get up in the morning and LOOK for shit to be offended by.

Based on this thread, it seems to go both ways.

|Zach|
02-07-2007, 01:28 PM
When he should have meant Hablo.
I remember going to Cancun once with some friends..I had been taking spanish at the time...I dont remember much of it now but I had it all fresh in my head then. So I was on some bus...shit faced wasted and started talking to this girl....it went something like this...

Zach: Hi, cómo es usted? (Hi, how are you?)
Girl: Estoy haciendo realmente bueno y usted mismo? (I am doing good, and yourself?)
Zach: Grande, mi nombre es Zach. Cuál es su nombre? (Great, my name is Zach. What is your name?)
Girl: Mi nombre es Angela (My name is Angela)
Zach: De dónde es usted? (Where are you from?)
Girl: Long Island
Zach: Why am I talking to you in Spanish?
Girl: I have no idea.

My friends will never let me forget that...when she said Long Island she looked at me like I was a complete idiot.

bogie
02-07-2007, 01:31 PM
That was my feeling. I thought the Fags would be pleased. Whatever.

:rolleyes:

bogie
02-07-2007, 01:32 PM
I remember going to Cancun once with some friends..I had been taking spanish at the time...I dont remember much of it now but I had it all fresh in my head then. So I was on some bus...shit faced wasted and started talking to this girl....it went something like this...

Girl: Estoy haciendo realmente bueno y usted mismo? (I am doing good, and yourself?)
Zach: Grande, mi nombre es Zach. Cuál es su nombre? (Great, my name is Zach. What is your name?)

My friends will never let me forget that...when she said Long Island she looked at me like I was a complete idiot.

ROFL That's funny.

kcfanXIII
02-07-2007, 01:45 PM
What was your favorite?

i liked the mencia ad. i like his humor, i was also impressed with the doritos create-your-own-ad. i thought there were too many ads for the cbs lineup. i don't watch network tv other than sports. it seemed every break they were pimping csi: the netherlands or csi: antartica or some other drama i'd rather not waste my time on, and seriously, just let survivor die. it never really was my cup of tea, but can it still be intereting to those who watch it?

Reaper16
02-07-2007, 01:46 PM

That's awesome. LMAO

bogie
02-07-2007, 01:50 PM
Just curious, shouldn't there be as much intolerance by mods for words like queer and fag as there is for any other derogatory languages?

bogie
02-07-2007, 01:52 PM
Just curious, shouldn't there be as much intolerance by mods for words like queer and Rump Ranger as there is for any other derogatory languages?

I didn't say rump ranger. I was refering to Thai Cheif post.

Rooster
02-07-2007, 01:58 PM

ROFL ROFL That is what you call a great ice breaker. :)

gblowfish
02-07-2007, 02:09 PM
Everyone is getting all bent over this Snickers commercial, but the NFL is OK with Prince doing a shadow whack off behind a sheet at halftime.

I don't get it.

Everyone just needs to lighten up, Francis.

FAX
02-07-2007, 02:11 PM
Man, you've been a naughty boy, you let your snickers down.

FAX

bobbything
02-07-2007, 02:13 PM
i liked the mencia ad. i like his humor
Too bad it was stolen from "Stripes" and "Good Morning Vietnam." Otherwise, it would have been funny.

sedated
02-07-2007, 02:14 PM
derogatory languages?

like...french?

bogie
02-07-2007, 02:21 PM
like...french?

yea, no.

ROYC75
02-07-2007, 02:21 PM
Just FTR, I'm not eating a Snickers around any guys, ever ..............

sedated
02-07-2007, 02:24 PM
I have an urge to put a snickers in my pants