PDA

View Full Version : Lions going after Kawika?

The Poz
02-07-2007, 06:07 AM
Lions | Team to target Mitchell
Tue, 6 Feb 2007 18:28:39 -0800

Tom Kowalski, of mlive.com, reports the Detroit Lions plan to target free agent LB Kawika Mitchell (Chiefs) when free agency begins in March.

Haven't heard much lately on any contract talks with Kawika. He'll probably be asking more than he's worth but, can we find anyone better for less? He knows the system and Gun really seems to like him.

Direckshun
02-07-2007, 06:09 AM
The FA market is thick in the linebacker department, and a lot of them are marquee talent, which (as much as I love the guy on our team) is a level Mitchell hasn't reached yet.

Mitchell is Herm's guy. He's a passionate player and has the potential to be a leader on this team, and he's outclassed by much of the available talent out there. He's not going anywhere, and I doubt we'll have to pay more than he's worth.

Mecca
02-07-2007, 06:31 AM
They can have him......

boogblaster
02-07-2007, 06:39 AM
Can't cover..Can't tackle..Can't think..Bring back Fujitia....

nychief
02-07-2007, 07:06 AM
sounds like a Matt Millen move

jidar
02-07-2007, 07:13 AM
Interesting that everyone here hates him when he's #1 or #2 on virtually every free agent LB list out there.

Brock
02-07-2007, 07:18 AM
Interesting that everyone here hates him when he's #1 or #2 on virtually every free agent LB list out there.

It's a very weak market. It's been pointed out before.

Skip Towne
02-07-2007, 07:19 AM
Buh bye

Phobia
02-07-2007, 07:32 AM
What happened to Boss Bailey?

royr17
02-07-2007, 07:34 AM
Also if Mitchell is gone, that could open up the door for Rich Scanlon, I know you guys dont like him and hate him, but the guy is a good player.

I think the MLB position would flourish with him. If you want to post negative comments on the way I feel then go right ahead.

But im stickin to what I believe. IMHO he could be a better Mike Maslowski.

Brock
02-07-2007, 07:34 AM
hello Scanlon

hello downgrade

royr17
02-07-2007, 07:35 AM
and the negative comments start coming.

Phobia
02-07-2007, 07:44 AM
IMHO he could be a better Mike Maslowski.

I should hope so. Mike Maslowski was never considered to be a good LB by anybody I know. He could tackle well and that made him a good special teamer but he wasn't a great LB.

Fish
02-07-2007, 07:48 AM
I like Mitchell.... he's one of my underdog favorites. No he's not a probowl MLB, but he has lots of passion, plays every freakin play, and I honestly don't think he's hit his peak yet....

Although I do fear he will be asking for a chuck of $...

OnTheWarpath58
02-07-2007, 07:49 AM
From Football's Future:

Top FA Linebackers - 2007

Lance Briggs, UFA, Chicago Bears
Briggs benefits from having Brian Urlacher as a teammate, but thats no reason to doubt that Briggs is a really good linebacker in his own right. He may be the most sought after linebacker in this free agent class, and the Bears will have difficulty in retaining all of the defensive talent they have in the next few seasons if they wish to spend more money on offensive help and re-sign other current players. The Bears could slap the franchise tag on Briggs to keep him around, but if they dont, expect him to be leaving the Windy City and taking up residence for a new team that will try and feature him on defense. Teams needing a tough linebacker to plug holes and make tackles will put Briggs high on their list. His 134 total tackles and four sacks during the 2006 season suggest large offers coming his way. Given the Bears history in this type of matter, its likely that Briggs will find a new place to punish offensesbut it will be very hard to let him go, so dont be surprised to see him hang around in Chicago.

Na'il Diggs, UFA, Carolina Panthers
Diggs has been a steady linebacker for the Green Bay Packers since his second season in the league. Injuries forced him to miss seven games last season and he now has just a single season to prove to the Panthers that he deserves a larger contract. Diggs, while steady, isnt necessity for Carolina, so expect to see him hit the market in the hopes that someone appreciates what he does on the field, maybe even over-appreciates what he does on the field. When Carolina lost Dan Morgan for the season, and perhaps longer, Diggs had a real chance to step up; he tallied just 61 total tackles and failed to register a sack or interception in fifteen games. A handful of teams should still be interested in bringing Diggs into the fold. Anyone looking for a veteran linebacker to make some tackles and hold his own will show an interest.

Cato June, UFA, Indianapolis Colts
Recent legal trouble could hurt his stock, but June was a first time starter in the Pro Bowl for the 2005 season. Hes relatively young and a tackling machinehis 142 total tackles were good for fifth best in the NFLso its likely that the Colts will do what they can to retain his talents. Theres good chance that June hits the market, though, to see what other organizations have to offer him financially; if the Colts are unable to reach the Super Bowl, it may also factor into a decision to leave. Junes not an overpowering player, so a team interested in him will be looking at utilizing his speed as a top priority, in the same way that the Colts have done. June will be the most sought after linebacker on the market, and perhaps the most sought after defensive player.

Adalius Thomas, UFA, Baltimore Ravens
It could be difficult to keep Thomas around because of his emerging status as one of the better linebackers in the NFL. In 2005with Ray Lewis lost to an injury for ten gamesThomas shined for the Ravens defensive unit and was credited with 86 total tackles, nine sacks, and two interceptions. This seasoneven with Lewis back from injuryThomas continued upon his success with 83 total tackles, eleven sacks, and an interception. His free agent potential is enormous, and he could be one of the top two or three pursued players. Someone will throw big dollars his way, which means he could be lured away from Baltimore.

London Fletcher-Baker, UFA, Buffalo Bills
Fletcher is good, plain and simple. Hell be 32 heading into next season, but hes still producing as one of the top linebackers, with 146 total tackles, two sacks, and four interceptions credited to him during the 2006 season. Fletcher hasnt missed a game in his career, and hes also tallied 119 total tackles or more in every season since 2000. If the Bills dont get him to sign an extension, expect Fletcher to garner attention from several teams looking for a veteran presence that can make things happen on the field. Wherever Fletcher ends up, hell be brought in to act as a defensive leader and to make big plays. Ultimately, he could be the cream of the crop in terms of available linebackers.

Other Free Agent Linebackers
Chase Blackburn, ERFA, New York Giants
Chad Brown, UFA, Pittsburgh Steelers
James Darling, UFA, Arizona Cardinals
Randall Godfrey, UFA, San Diego Chargers
Kawika Mitchell, UFA, Kansas City Chiefs
Rob Morris, UFA, Indianapolis Colts

Bwana
02-07-2007, 07:49 AM
Also if Mitchell is gone, that could open up the door for Rich Scanlon

:spock:

Radar Chief
02-07-2007, 07:57 AM
:spock:

:LOL: BTW, check your PM's. ;)

royr17
02-07-2007, 08:00 AM
I should hope so. Mike Maslowski was never considered to be a good LB by anybody I know. He could tackle well and that made him a good special teamer but he wasn't a great LB.

Maslowski was a good MLB, I loved watchin him play. The guy played with lots of passion and intesity. They only think he lacked was cover skills and speed, he could diagnose a play in a heartbeat.

Let me also remind you, I have seen these things in Scanlon, and Scanlon ran a 4.6 40 when he came into the league.

Either go with Scanlon at MLB or give Bell a shot at MLB.

Phobia
02-07-2007, 08:05 AM
Maslowski was a good MLB, I loved watchin him play. The guy played with lots of passion and intesity. They only think he lacked was cover skills and speed, he could diagnose a play in a heartbeat.

Let me also remind you, I have seen these things in Scanlon, and Scanlon ran a 4.6 40 when he came into the league.

Roy, look out the window.

Do you see squirrels running around the yard?

Go outside and catch them.

They ate your brain.

Fish
02-07-2007, 08:06 AM
I still feel that DJ and Mitchell should switch positions....

ChiTown
02-07-2007, 08:07 AM

ROFL

Thanks for the comic relief.

Frazod
02-07-2007, 08:09 AM
Good riddance. Let him sprint past plays for Detroit. 4321

BigChiefFan
02-07-2007, 08:13 AM
Mitchell is a decent MLBer, but his tackling is below-average. I prefer my MLBer to be a one of the best tacklers on the team. Mitchell would be good to keep if the price is right, but we could use a serious upgrade.

Woodrow Call
02-07-2007, 08:27 AM
No player disappointed me more this year. I thought Kawika was on the verge of being a top MLB but instead he has plateaued. Let him "lead" somewhere else; an upgrade is needed.

Kerberos
02-07-2007, 08:32 AM
NOW this is the QUALITY content you CAN'T get with a Premium membership.

:thumb:

Where do I send my payment?

:)

MGRS13
02-07-2007, 08:32 AM
Im rooting for the lions on this one.

morphius
02-07-2007, 08:51 AM
If we could find a super stud MLB I would love to get one, till then I wouldn't mind seeing what Mitchell could do in his second year in the cover 2, especially if we can actually get a DT in front of him. Without a serious upgrade in DT's we could just as well put Dante Hall out there at MLB.

Iowanian
02-07-2007, 08:54 AM
I've missed III....

I think Mitchell would be a solid, not great MLB in an attacking scheme. He's a soft turd in cover 2.

Scanlon will be lucky to make the roster again. A 3-4th year guy, who couldn't stay healthy last year. I also think Grigsby could be short if he doesn't pan out at FB.

Adalius Thomas....come ooooooooooooooon doooooooooown.

Fat Elvis
02-07-2007, 09:06 AM
I've missed III....

I think Mitchell would be a solid, not great MLB in an attacking scheme. He's a soft turd in cover 2.

Scanlon will be lucky to make the roster again. A 3-4th year guy, who couldn't stay healthy last year. I also think Grigsby could be short if he doesn't pan out at FB.

Adalius Thomas....come ooooooooooooooon doooooooooown.

If we're gonna throw money at a LB, it should be Thomas. He's currently better than Ray Lewis on the Ravens.

Direckshun
02-07-2007, 09:17 AM
Let me ask a question kick this thread up a notch:

All the people that want Mitchell, Chiefs' leading tackler in 2006, gone, tell me: who do you think the Chiefs can feasibly replace him with that would be a replacement, when the Chiefs are fishing hard right now for OL, DT, and WR?

What LB on our squad or available could the Chiefs afford that would be an upgrade?

Redrum_69
02-07-2007, 09:19 AM

All the people that want Mitchell, Chiefs' leading tackler in 2006, gone, tell me: who do you think the Chiefs can feasibly replace him with that would be a replacement, when the Chiefs are fishing hard right now for OL, DT, and WR?

What LB on our squad or available could the Chiefs afford that would be an upgrade?

Kendrell Bell...DUH

Fat Elvis
02-07-2007, 09:19 AM

With Roaf and Sheilds off the books, Adalius Thomas......

Fat Elvis
02-07-2007, 09:21 AM
On the Ravens, Thomas makes the tackles. Ray Lewis then jumps on the pile and then jumps around like he did something important.

Redrum_69
02-07-2007, 09:22 AM
YOu guys know we are talking about at least..MINIMUM...a 4 year process before we get a balanced offense and defense

The chiefs need to have a good ol 1-15 for a few years...get some good #1 draft picks...hell, lose all the games and play only practice squad players...

Brock
02-07-2007, 09:24 AM

I love how people toss out the "he was our leading tackler" stuff. Oh, you mean like Mike Maszlowski and Donnie Edwards and Marvcus Patton before him?

In fact, the Chiefs could sign Donnie Edwards this offseason and get just as much production as they're getting out of Mitchell, probably more.

bkkcoh
02-07-2007, 09:26 AM
YOu guys know we are talking about at least..MINIMUM...a 4 year process before we get a balanced offense and defense

The chiefs need to have a good ol 1-15 for a few years...get some good #1 draft picks...hell, lose all the games and play only practice squad players...

Wouldn't balanced be 16th in offense and 16th in defense???? I thought I saw those numbers somewhere. Balance has been achieved in 1 year, not 4........

:banghead:

Phobia
02-07-2007, 09:49 AM
I don't want to get rid of Mitchell until we have an equal or better talent to replace him.

I don't know who that is.

I will say that I was wrong about Edwards. We should have kept him. I always hate overspending for talent but that's one guy we should have spent some money on.

Woodrow Call
02-07-2007, 09:57 AM
In fact, the Chiefs could sign Donnie Edwards this offseason and get just as much production as they're getting out of Mitchell, probably more.

He would be a perfect fit.

Easy 6
02-07-2007, 10:01 AM
I still feel that DJ and Mitchell should switch positions....

Exactly.

ROYC75
02-07-2007, 10:01 AM
I love how people toss out the "he was our leading tackler" stuff. Oh, you mean like Mike Maszlowski and Donnie Edwards and Marvcus Patton before him?

Even with Edwards age, he is an upgrade over Mitchell .

Chief Chief
02-07-2007, 10:02 AM
What happened to Boss Bailey?

Bailey's a LB with the Lions. He did play in '03, '05, & '06 but missed part of '03 and all of '04 due to injury. Note now that he also had at least one injury in college. Stat comparison for '06:

Player Games Tackles Assists Sacks Interceptions
MITCHELL 16 82 22 1.5 1
BAILEY 16 51 16 1 0

ROYC75
02-07-2007, 10:02 AM
Exactly.

DJ is better suited for the OLB position.

Cochise
02-07-2007, 10:11 AM
We don't really know what we have in Mitchell until at least one of the two DT positions is not filled by an empty suit.

As an aside, I'm always confused at the way people think we should take other teams' decent OLBs and turn them into our own MLB. We haven't exactly had a ton of luck bringing linebackers in and changing their positions.

ChiefaRoo
02-07-2007, 10:22 AM

You have a fetish for bad to average linebackers. See a doctor.

InChiefsHell
02-07-2007, 10:25 AM
Mitchell is the least of our worries on Defense. We should try to resign him and I don't think it will require breaking the bank. Shit people, we need to dump Bell before Kawika. We need to get some damn DT's in here. Worrying about Kawika who all in all had a solid season this year seems a bit silly to me.

CoMoChief
02-07-2007, 10:39 AM
Good, I hope he's gone. Maybe in return we could get Shaun Rogers, heh.

FAX
02-07-2007, 10:52 AM
Mitchell is the least of our worries on Defense. We should try to resign him and I don't think it will require breaking the bank. Shit people, we need to dump Bell before Kawika. We need to get some damn DT's in here. Worrying about Kawika who all in all had a solid season this year seems a bit silly to me.

Well said, Mr. InChiefsHell. There are plenty of other positions that require upgrading first. Who knows? With a couple of decent defensive tackles and a solid replacement for Bell, KM might perform significantly better.

FAX

InChiefsHell
02-07-2007, 11:02 AM
Good, I hope he's gone. Maybe in return we could get Shaun Rogers, heh.

Please explain the hatred for Mitchell? I mean damn, he was not bad this year, I thought he was pretty solid...

Please tell me you would like to see Bell gone first...

88TG88
02-07-2007, 11:04 AM
if we dont get a solid replacement i say we keep him but if we draft a LB who doesnt suck then its see ya later mitchell

Brock
02-07-2007, 11:08 AM
Please explain the hatred for Mitchell? I mean damn, he was not bad this year, I thought he was pretty solid...

I don't know why you would think he was anything more than adequate.

ROYC75
02-07-2007, 11:15 AM

Well said except that he did not have a solid season...... nothing great, just average and not horrible. Transistion year into the cover 2 was his biggest problem.

Bell just flat out sucks in the cover 2 and is a liability.

FAX
02-07-2007, 11:19 AM
Serious, intelligent question, here.

Don't you guys think that a middle linebacker needs help up front to do his job well? Also, good speed at safety in the cover 2?

FAX

Fish
02-07-2007, 11:42 AM
DJ is better suited for the OLB position.

He well may be better suited for OLB, but with his speed and athleticism, he could cover more ground if he was playing the middle. Basically, IMO it's an advantage to have the most talented LB you've got play the middle. Certainly not in all cases, but I'd like to see him try...

ChiefaRoo
02-07-2007, 11:43 AM
I hope Kawiffa goes to the Lions. He'd be a perfect fit in their futile and lost organization.

Chiefnj
02-07-2007, 11:50 AM
Herm might want to rethink the whole cover 2 system. The most important parts are DT, MLB and safety and those are the biggest question marks and weaknesses of the current team.

Fat Elvis
02-07-2007, 11:55 AM

Don't you guys think that a middle linebacker needs help up front to do his job well? Also, good speed at safety in the cover 2?

FAX

Tell that to Carl, Herm and Goonther....

ROYC75
02-07-2007, 11:55 AM

FAX
Seriously ? Hell ya , it's a priority to be the best and makes your job that much easier.

DaWolf
02-07-2007, 11:57 AM
There was talk of us moving him to outside LB. I doubt Carl lets him go because he's not wont to give up his high draft picks easily unless he's really outbid (see Tait, John) but I wouldn't shed a tear if he goes...

CoMoChief
02-07-2007, 11:58 AM

We need 2 new LB's. Mitchell is not suited well for the cover 2.

ChiefaRoo
02-07-2007, 12:02 PM
Kawika can't tackle on a dead run. He misses EVERYTIME he blitzes or gets a head of steam up.

CoMoChief
02-07-2007, 12:02 PM
We need 2 new LB's. Mitchell is not suited well for the cover 2.

There are many more holes on this defense than what people think.

2 new LB's, at least 1 good pass rushing DT, at least one good young CB, and a safety that can actually cover. That's half of our defensive squad.

InChiefsHell
02-07-2007, 12:08 PM
Well said except that he did not have a solid season...... nothing great, just average and not horrible.

Well, I guess that does make him awesome for this squad, in light of what we've seen here the last few years...

kcfanXIII
02-07-2007, 12:19 PM
if wecan resignhim for a decent price, we should. but this is not a guy to break the bank on. thomas would be worth breaking the bank for, or if carl wants to be thrifty, donnie edwards would be the way to go.
maybe you could cut bell, AND kawika and sign both of them.

El Jefe
02-07-2007, 12:21 PM
Boogblaster, I agree I dont think it would be a big loss to be honest. He is good I wouldnt say he is great or really even close to great IMO.

CoMoChief
02-07-2007, 12:27 PM
Cut Bell, release Mitchell.

Sign Briggs and Donnie Edwards.

RedThat
02-07-2007, 12:39 PM
Meh, let him go. Especially if they throw big money at him, let him go.

I think we could go in a different direction there. Wouldn't mind if we drafted a MLB.

dj56dt58
02-07-2007, 12:48 PM
No player disappointed me more this year. I thought Kawika was on the verge of being a top MLB but instead he has plateaued. Let him "lead" somewhere else; an upgrade is needed.
and then bitch because we let a guy go with a lot of potential when he starts to play great for another team...just like we are Fujita

penguinz
02-07-2007, 12:50 PM
and then bitch because we let a guy go with a lot of potential when he starts to play great for another team...just like we are Fujita
Who is complaining about Fajita not being on the team?

BigChiefFan
02-07-2007, 12:53 PM
Herm might want to rethink the whole cover 2 system. The most important parts are DT, MLB and safety and those are the biggest question marks and weaknesses of the current team.
Those are definitely our biggest weaknesses on defense. We have needed a DT for a DECADE. It's time to get a DT prospect who pans out for a change. I believe Kawicka Mitchell could be alot better if he had some better DTs, but he seems to still miss alot of tackles. I'm mixed about letting a young ascending player go. That being said, we need to look to the draft for a stud MLBer and at the very least give Mitchell some competition. Grigsby and Scanlon are special teamers at best.

Woodrow Call
02-07-2007, 12:59 PM

I think Kawika's potential is tapped out. I couldn't care less about Fujita. Never much of a fan.

The Bad Guy
02-07-2007, 01:04 PM
I want London Fletcher-Jim Baker.

That's who I want. Good in coverage, solid tackler, good leader.

jspchief
02-07-2007, 01:06 PM
We can't have Pro Bowlers at every position. Mitchell is far from being the weakest link.

Besides, no one has given a legit answer to the question of who we replace him with. Adalius Thomas and Lance Briggs aren't MLBs and both of those guys are going to ask for a fortune (no way Bal lets Thomas go).

While I don't want the Chiefs to get into a big bidding war over Mitchell, I'm also not in a huge hurry to lose him in light of the other weaknesses this team has.

FAX
02-07-2007, 01:08 PM
We can't have Pro Bowlers at every position. Mitchell is far from being the weakest link.

Besides, no one has given a legit answer to the question of who we replace him with. Adalius Thomas and Lance Briggs aren't MLBs and both of those guys are going to ask for a fortune (no way Bal lets Thomas go).

While I don't want the Chiefs to get into a big bidding war over Mitchell, I'm also not in a huge hurry to lose him in light of the other weaknesses this team has.

Muy bien posto.

FAX

TRR
02-07-2007, 01:14 PM
I tired of Mitchell this season. If I have to put up with another season of Mitchell whiffing on a wide open QB sack, I may throw up.

Mitchell is a middle of the pack MLB. I would rather put Bell in the middle, and start Key Fox, than resign Mitchell for a lot of money. If Mitchell can be kept at a low price, then by all means re-sign him. I would never get in a bidding war over Kawika Mitchell though.

CoMoChief
02-07-2007, 01:18 PM
I tired of Mitchell this season. If I have to put up with another season of Mitchell whiffing on a wide open QB sack, I may throw up.

Mitchell is a middle of the pack MLB. I would rather put Bell in the middle, and start Key Fox, than resign Mitchell for a lot of money. If Mitchell can be kept at a low price, then by all means re-sign him. I would never get in a bidding war over Kawika Mitchell though.

Bell might be one of the worst cover LB in the NFL and you want to put him in a cover 2 system as a MLB where he has to drop into coverage??? That alone would put our defensive rankings in the 20's.

BigChiefFan
02-07-2007, 01:20 PM
Besides, no one has given a legit answer to the question of who we replace him with.

Sign FA Donnie Edwards and then draft-Patrick Willis.

jspchief
02-07-2007, 01:24 PM
Sign FA Donnie Edwards and then draft-Patrick Willis.IMO Edwards would be a great Cover 2 MLB.

The only con that I see is that the guy has had an over-inflated opinion of his worth for the last 8 years.

Ifwe could get him for acontract that fits his skills and age, I'd be OK with Edwards. I just can't help but think he's going to be a lot more expensive than Mitchell would be, and that's money that could be going to the offensive or defensive line.

Hog Farmer
02-07-2007, 01:31 PM
I think we need to bring Pollard into the mix and get rid of Bell. Mitchell DID NOT play bad this year. He will be better suited into the cover 2 in year 2.

ChiefsCountry
02-07-2007, 01:33 PM
Dont let the door hit you on the way out.

Iowanian
02-07-2007, 01:38 PM
I'd like to clarify my position.

I agree that MLB is NOT the biggest area of need on the defense, however I AM tired of seeing Mitchell whiff tackles, especially after he's blasted through the Oline untouched, and it allows a big play. I don't think he's suited for the Cover 2, as he just doesn't seem to have the speed or instincts in coverage. I DO think he's a capable but non-spectacular MLB in a system that allows him to play forward.

I'm not for Running him out of town, but I think its absolutely FINE if he explores the FA market and let that market help set his reasonable value. If its more than the Chiefs think he's worth...let him walk.

I feel that MLB is a position that can be filled easier than others of worse need of attention.....unfortunately, that assumes there are DTs that can help Hide the MLB.

Faster Safeties will also help WHOEVER is at the Mike.

If he goes, he goes.

sedated
02-07-2007, 01:39 PM
Anyone hoping we will get rid of Bell will be very disappointed.

He will cost us more to get rid of than to keep. Hopefully we just pull a JWoods and bury him on the bench until his signing bonus is paid off.

Iowanian
02-07-2007, 01:40 PM
It will cost more in SALARY CAP, not more in CASH.

I think he's gone.

jspchief
02-07-2007, 01:42 PM
Anyone hoping we will get rid of Bell will be very disappointed.

He will cost us more to get rid of than to keep. Hopefully we just pull a JWoods and bury him on the bench until his signing bonus is paid off.We renegotiated with Bell last year. i don't think he's going to be much of a cap hit if we get rid of him.

Mr. Laz
02-07-2007, 02:51 PM
Faster Safeties will also help WHOEVER is at the Mike.

If he goes, he goes.
Amen

our weak safeties put our middle linebacker in a tough position in this scheme. They have to play the run HARD ... but then turn and bust their ass to cover the deep middle on any play action passes.

our safeties are lost, so mitchell is the primary in the tightend coverage

not a good situation

imo any middle linebacker is going to struggle with crappy defensive tackles in front of him and crappy safeties behind him.

Mitchell has been the meat in a big crap sandwich on this defense.

not that i'm a big fan of mitchell ... but i don't know how good he is in this situation.

Brock
02-07-2007, 02:52 PM
What Would Bill Belichick Do?

FAX
02-07-2007, 02:54 PM
That's a good assessment, in my view, Mr. Laz.

It's impossible to know if KM can perform at a higher level in this defense unless or until we improve at DT and/or Safety. The whiffage can be corrected through coaching and practice.

FAX

Iowanian
02-07-2007, 02:55 PM
Cut everyone over 30, cut everyone who sucks, replace them with JeenYus UDRFA finds and go deep into the Playoffs...and have $30mil in cap space.

I recall everyone being excited about Mitchell because he was so tough, he'd fallen out of a moving car and walked away.

In retrospect, I can only surmise that he must have been riding in the back seat, attempted to Blitz the passenger's BIG GULP and whiffed into the Door handle.

vincent
02-07-2007, 03:14 PM

Did you watch any of the games that Kendrell Bell played in???

Brock
02-07-2007, 03:15 PM

It's a given that Bell sucks. Why do people keep trying to make this thread about Bell?

Iowanian
02-07-2007, 03:19 PM
Duh Brock.....all they have to do is go into the madden settings, change Bell's strenth, Speed, Awareness and TKL and he's an all pro MLB for a decade.

Direckshun
02-07-2007, 03:20 PM
With Roaf and Sheilds off the books, Adalius Thomas......
No, because we're going to be spending the grand majority of their money on OL, DT, and/or WR.

Woodrow Call
02-07-2007, 03:21 PM

I expected nothing out of Bell and that's what I got; therefore no disappointment. On the other hand I expected Kawika to take his game to the next level and he didn't.

Brock
02-07-2007, 03:22 PM
No, because we're going to be spending the grand majority of their money on OL, DT, and/or WR.

I'll be surprised if that happens.

J Diddy
02-07-2007, 03:22 PM
Cut everyone over 30, cut everyone who sucks, replace them with JeenYus UDRFA finds and go deep into the Playoffs...and have $30mil in cap space.

I recall everyone being excited about Mitchell because he was so tough, he'd fallen out of a moving car and walked away.

In retrospect, I can only surmise that he must have been riding in the back seat, attempted to Blitz the passenger's BIG GULP and whiffed into the Door handle.

too funny

Direckshun
02-07-2007, 03:23 PM

Donnie was a very good linebacker for us and continues to be so. 'Ski and Patton were the leading tacklers on bad defenses.

This is the best defense the Chiefs have fielded since Derrick Thomas was a Pro Bowler, so leading this team in tackles is significant. You realize I'm not saying that Kawika is All Pro or anything, but he had a quality season.

The Chiefs could sign Donnie, actually, but would that really be an upgrade over Kawika, who's much younger? Donnie has two years left, tops.

On a sidenote, though, for the moderate money KC has, putting Donnie where Kendrell is now wouldn't be a bad idea for a while.

Direckshun
02-07-2007, 03:25 PM
I'll be surprised if that happens.
I'll actually be surprised if it doesn't. Those are our biggest holes, as noticed by Everybody In The Universe.

We have a third quality linebacker in Fox, who I think we can agree may not be a Pro Bowler, but he's fast and more talented at LB than Bell. I don't see the Chiefs throwing a lot of money at a LB. But a moderate signing like Donnie Edwards or something for a year contract or something makes sense to me.

Chiefnj
02-07-2007, 03:27 PM
so leading this team in tackles is significant. .
Don't middle linebackers usually lead teams in tackles?

vincent
02-07-2007, 03:40 PM
I expected nothing out of Bell and that's what I got; therefore no disappointment. On the other hand I expected Kawika to take his game to the next level and he didn't.

Point taken...

...and agreed with.

Direckshun
02-07-2007, 03:40 PM
Don't middle linebackers usually lead teams in tackles?
Yeah, which is why I'm not applauding every MLB who does.

118 total tackles, though. Again, not a Pro Bowl level, but that's getting the job done adequately. Boost him with better play from Knight/Pollard and some DTs, and this guy could bring something to the table.

Not to mention he's a locker room presense, which is sorely needed on defense, and the closest thing our forming defense has to a leader so far.

HMc
02-07-2007, 04:06 PM
Is he a locker room presence though?I thought he was short of respect from the Escalade drivers in the secondary?

Deberg_1990
02-07-2007, 04:48 PM
They can have him......

Hes an average linebacker and could be replaced easily and hopefully upgraded...

Fish
02-07-2007, 04:52 PM
They can have him......

Hes an average linebacker and could be replaced easily and hopefully upgraded...

Again.... who in the available market is going to be equivalent/better than Mitchell??

Deberg_1990
02-07-2007, 04:53 PM
Again.... who in the available market is going to be equivalent/better than Mitchell??

fetch me the list and ill let ya know...

Fish
02-07-2007, 05:03 PM
fetch me the list and ill let ya know...

So you admit that you don't have a clue and you're just regurgitating what others have posted?

Deberg_1990
02-07-2007, 05:05 PM
So you admit that you don't have a clue and you're just regurgitating what others have posted?

No....ive been saying this about him for 3 years.....

FAX
02-07-2007, 05:10 PM
Gentlemen. KM is okaaayyy. Give him somebody up front who does more than watch the runners go by and a safety with more speed than a three legged turtle and he'll be fine.

FAX

Fish
02-07-2007, 05:13 PM
No....ive been saying this about him for 3 years.....

So he doesn't meet your obligatory criteria, but the fact remains you don't have any names of available LBs that would at least be equivalent. Sounds like a plan....

crazycoffey
02-08-2007, 12:38 PM
I had a thought, albeit probably a dumb one

Can Sammy Knight play MLB?? KW can move to Bell's spot, and Bell can have his contract redone and/or be traded. page or pollard takes the safety spot left by knight.

but since the cover two needs a MLB with range, this has some potential.

InChiefsHell
02-08-2007, 12:51 PM
I think Pollard would make that move sooner than Knight...having said that, it ain't gonna happen.

crazycoffey
02-08-2007, 01:01 PM
I think Pollard would make that move sooner than Knight...having said that, it ain't gonna happen.

neither will happen, but for conversation points only, I like your idea too, though pollard is faster so keep him at safety. IMO

Brock
02-08-2007, 01:05 PM

As has been pointed out, Donnie Edwards will probably be available.

Iowanian
02-08-2007, 01:14 PM
I enjoy watching Donnie Edwards make tackles.

I enjoy them, because they're usually clear visibility in the open, away from the mess, 5 yards downfield as he graciously slumps to their ankles and trips them as they run by his position.

crazycoffey
02-08-2007, 01:15 PM
we shouldn't have let donnie edwards go in the first place....

Brock
02-08-2007, 01:16 PM

I enjoy them, because they're usually clear visibility in the open, away from the mess, 5 yards downfield as he graciously slumps to their ankles and trips them as they run by his position.

He's an upgrade from Kawika, IMO. Plus he tends to intercept passes.

Fish
02-08-2007, 01:18 PM
As has been pointed out, Donnie Edwards will probably be available.

I'm on the fence as to who would be the better of the two... but I see your point.

However, from what's been said(rumors), Edwards would probably cost more than Mitchell....

Brock
02-08-2007, 01:21 PM
I'm on the fence as to who would be the better of the two... but I see your point.

However, from what's been said(rumors), Edwards would probably cost more than Mitchell....

I'd probably just stay with Mitchell if he's a lot cheaper. He could still improve.

crazycoffey
02-08-2007, 01:22 PM

yes he would, I like him, don't get me wrong, but we already overpaid for someone else's discarded LB and let Fujita go, when we should have just not done that. SF would be better than Bell, but there is no way to have known that when we needed to know it.

save the money for a DT or two. KW is very solid, made some mistakes and doesn't seem to have the leadership we need for the postion, but I can live with his production.

ROYC75
02-08-2007, 01:29 PM

Oh, ya mean Cabose Donnie ?

Iowanian
02-08-2007, 01:33 PM
I agree with Brock in the sense that Edwards would be a decent Cover 2 Mike.....he's lost some speed, but he can move side to side and would be a big improvment in deep center coverage over Mitchell.

Mitchell however is younger, and in fairness Was doing better 2 seasons ago prior to the Defense change.

Fish
02-08-2007, 01:39 PM
I think Edwards would be more accepted as a leader than Mitchell has been... for me that's been a big knock on Mitchell since he started for KC. Gun managed to instill some fire in him, but we need to see more if he is going to step up and lead this D with the ferocity it needs....

htismaqe
02-08-2007, 01:59 PM
I've never been a big Edwards fan. My first game ever at Arrowhead I watched him get drug around by Shawn Alexander and it wasn't pleasing.

That being said, our new defense calls for someone who can cover ground and defend passes, not someone who can stuff the run in the opponent's backfield.

Donnie Edwards would be a good fit.

ferrarispider95
02-08-2007, 03:13 PM
I take edwards over kawika anyday of the week.

Edwards is still athletic, one of the best cover linebackers ever, and is smart.

buddha
02-08-2007, 03:18 PM
The comments about Mitchell playing with passion are nonsense. Either he's making tackles or he's not. For most of his career, he hasn't done squat playing MLB for KC. We hold on to guys like this because we don't think we can do better. That's pretty sad, IMO.

KC can do better and should do better. If not through free agency, then through the draft. And then there's that foreign concept of making trades.

El Jefe
02-08-2007, 03:20 PM
Buddha, you know I agree with you we keep too many mediocre players IMO.

CupidStunt
02-08-2007, 03:41 PM
Patrick Willis (the hyped version of DeMeco Ryans).

Woodrow Call
02-08-2007, 03:45 PM
Patrick Willis (the hyped version of DeMeco Ryans).

#1 on my wishlist

Deberg_1990
02-08-2007, 04:59 PM
We hold on to guys like this because we don't think we can do better. That's pretty sad, IMO.

KC can do better and should do better.

That pretty much sums up the entire Carl Peterson era...

Direckshun
02-08-2007, 05:42 PM
Let's be honest with ourselves.

I like the addition of Edwards to our defense. I do. But to prefer Edwards over Mitchell is being shortsighted. Edwards is 33. He has one, two good years left in him, max. Kawika has a career in front of him and he performed well last year (again, 118 tackles) without major help from DT or a fast SS (as much as I like Sammy Knight, speed's not his strong suit).

Direckshun
02-08-2007, 05:47 PM
KC can do better and should do better. If not through free agency, then through the draft. And then there's that foreign concept of making trades.
And again, saying things like that will win you support at a pep rally, but it might not build a better Chiefs team.

Sure, we could go for top flight talent at MLB. But we can't do it in the same year that we're trying to find great talent at DT, WR, and several positions at OL. We don't have the money to go for gold in every position.

So how about we "settle" for a guy who statistically performed well, has a lot of years in front of him and the potential to vastly improve?