PDA

View Full Version : Prince's Penis makes a Super Bowl Halftime Apperance.

BigRedChief
02-07-2007, 07:31 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=2854252
By JAKE COYLE The Associated Press
NEW YORK - In the sensitive post-wardrobe malfunction world, some are questioning whether a guitar was just a guitar during Prince's Super Bowl halftime show.

Prince's acclaimed performance included a guitar solo during the "Purple Rain" segment of his medley in which his shadow was projected onto a large, flowing beige sheet. As the 48-year-old rock star let rip, the silhouette cast by his figure and his guitar (shaped like the singer's symbol) had phallic connotations for some.

A number of bloggers have decried "Malfunction!" including Sam Anderson at New York magazine's Daily Intelligencer. Daily News television critic David Bianculli called it "a rude-looking shadow show" that "looked embarrassingly rude, crude and unfortunately placed."

CBS spokesman Dana McClintock said Tuesday that the network has received "very few" complaints on Prince's performance. CBS last aired the Super Bowl in 2004 when Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake's "wardrobe malfunction" sparked criticism and a subsequent crackdown on broadcast decency from the Federal Communications Commission.

But this time, it was the NFL that produced the halftime show (MTV had in 2004). Spokesman Greg Aiello said the league has received no complaints.

"We respect other opinions, but it takes quite a leap of the imagination to make a controversy of his performance," Aiello said. "It's a guitar."

The majority of the reaction to Prince's performance has been laudatory, including positive reviews from The Associated Press, the New York Times and USA Today all of which noted the lack of controversy in this year's halftime show. AP Entertainment Writer Douglas J. Rowe wrote: "He delivered one of the best Super Bowl halftime shows ever."

For decades, the electric guitar, by nature, has been considered phallic. From Jimi Hendrix's sensual 6-string swagger to Eddie Van Halen's masturbatory soloing, the guitar has often been thought an extension of a male player's sexuality.

Was Prince's pose phallic?

"The short answer is, of course it is," says Rolling Stone magazine contributing editor Gavin Edwards, who points out that on Prince's "Purple Rain" tour in the mid `80s, he performed with a guitar that would ejaculate, squirting water out of its end during the climax of "Let's Go Crazy."

"All that said, it didn't seem like a s******ing little puppet show," adds Edwards. "I think it was one of those things because a guitar at waist level does look like an enormous phallus."

By enlarging his shadow, it's possible Prince intended to accentuate this aspect of his solo, but it's just as likely it was accidental. (You can find videos of the halftime show at YouTube.com.) A message left with Prince's publicist Tuesday wasn't returned.

The late-night shows have taken notice. On CBS's "The Late Late Show" on Sunday night, host Craig Ferguson said of Prince: "He was obviously very happy to be there, wasn't he?"

Stephen Colbert reacted with mock outrage on Comedy Central's "The Colbert Report" Monday night: "They knew that they were dealing with a lustful, pansexual rock 'n' roll deviant," said Colbert, who joked that the sheet hid (not enhanced) Prince's "demonic guitar phallus."

In recent years, Prince has scaled down his performances, which were once renown for their gymnastics. His mini-concert at the Colts-Bears game in Miami included parts of "Purple Rain," "Let's Go Crazy," "Baby I'm a Star," Bob Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower," the Foo Fighter's "Best of You" and Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Proud Mary."

The Minnesota native has attracted controversy before. Tipper Gore launched a campaign to place a warning sticker on his 1984 album "Purple Rain" because of the lyrics to the song "Darling Nikki." Though his musical style has been expansive, he's best known for funky, sexually charged songs like "I Wanna Be Your Lover" and "Get Off."

Prince's previously most talked-about performance came at the 1991 MTV Video Music Awards, where he donned yellow, butt-baring pants, (a stunt later spoofed by Howard Stern). Always eccentric, he famously changed his name to The Artist Formerly Known as Prince, then to simply a symbol and finally back to Prince. He also became a Jehovah's Witness in the mid-`90s.

But Prince's halftime performance, though celebrated, came in a much different cultural environment, where even the fleeting outline of a man and his guitar could, for some, suggest shaded depravity.

"If people want to be hypersensitive, they can be hypersensitive," says Rolling Stone's Edwards. "Those trombones are phallic, too. What are you going to do?"

Braincase
02-07-2007, 07:54 AM
Prince is obsessed with the size of his penis and sexual innuendo. It doesn't take a great deal of insight to realize he has inadequacy issues. Cripes, the guy is like 5'2"... he just doesn't measure up...

Ultra Peanut
02-07-2007, 08:06 AM
It's 3 AM in Minnesota.

Phobia
02-07-2007, 08:19 AM
I think the Sears tower looks like a giant penis. I hope the city of Chicago will remove it from their skyline immediately.

BigRedChief
02-07-2007, 08:24 AM
I think the Sears tower looks like a giant penis. I hope the city of Chicago will remove it from their skyline immediately.First things first. Take care of KC first......We have to immediately remove the Liberty Memorial. It's obscene. It even has balls. :shake:
http://static.flickr.com/97/242062640_6daadba2d7.jpg

Frazod
02-07-2007, 08:30 AM
Prince is obsessed with the size of his penis and sexual innuendo. It doesn't take a great deal of insight to realize he has inadequacy issues. Cripes, the guy is like 5'2"... he just doesn't measure up...

How inadequate could he be? Dude's got more play than all of us put together. So what if he has to sit on a phone book to drive a car?

Shit, there isn't anybody on this BB I wouldn't kill for a night with Apollonia Kotera (if only it was that easy...... :evil: )

Phobia
02-07-2007, 08:30 AM
How about a NSFW designation there, BRC?

boogblaster
02-07-2007, 08:50 AM
Is this a envy thread ...

Bowser
02-07-2007, 09:04 AM
This thread makes BRC ssad.

BigRedChief
02-07-2007, 09:10 AM
This thread makes BRC ssad.
:banghead: I thought I was cured.

RJ
02-07-2007, 09:11 AM
Sometimes a guitar is just a guitar.

StcChief
02-07-2007, 09:12 AM
I saw the 'shadow' and know somebody was gonna blow a gasket. The NFL/ PC world should have seen it coming a mile away

noa
02-07-2007, 09:23 AM
I thought it looked like there was a giant fishook going through his gut, not some crazy penis.

BucEyedPea
02-07-2007, 09:31 AM
ROFL

I definitely took it as phallic though.

frazod, women like musicians, they're just sexier...as well as money. :p

Joie
02-07-2007, 09:34 AM
He got what he wanted out of it. The halftime show sucked. He's just a washed up 80's musician, and yet here we are 3 days later, STILL TALKING ABOUT IT!

HonestChieffan
02-07-2007, 09:38 AM
Fringe group wackos control the country. Be afraid.

Pitt Gorilla
02-07-2007, 09:52 AM
Good Lord, let it go. Prince shredded.

penguinz
02-07-2007, 10:18 AM
dumb

|Zach|
02-07-2007, 10:22 AM
He got what he wanted out of it. The halftime show sucked. He's just a washed up 80's musician, and yet here we are 3 days later, STILL TALKING ABOUT IT!
A washed up 80's musician with an album that debuted at #1 in 2006.

FAX
02-07-2007, 10:25 AM
I watched a documentary once about the effort to wipe out rock and roll in the 50s. Politicians and religious leaders actually burned records in the street. It was commonly known among conservative circles as "devil music".

Had they been able to castrate Chuck Berry, I'm sure they would have. Prince is following in the footsteps of giants.

FAX

Nightwish
02-07-2007, 01:42 PM
ROFL

I definitely took it as phallic though.

frazod, women like musicians, they're just sexier...as well as money. :pIt was Prince - of course it was intentionally phallic! Saying Prince didn't mean to be phallic is like saying Madonna didn't mean to be a slut!

BigRedChief
02-08-2007, 08:33 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/id/6453178_36_1.jpg
Seems kind of devilish to me.

JohninGpt
02-08-2007, 09:05 AM
By JAKE COYLE The Associated Press
NEW YORK "If people want to be hypersensitive, they can be hypersensitive," says Rolling Stone's Edwards. "Those trombones are phallic, too. What are you going to do?"

Tromboners

Jenson71
02-08-2007, 09:12 AM

Didn't his album sales go up 650%? Quite a jump.

Count Zarth
02-08-2007, 09:51 AM
http://purplefap.ytmnsfw.com/

Count Zarth
02-08-2007, 10:00 AM
http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/4835/232212997f6471d009ea8e0bk9.gif (http://imageshack.us)

booger
02-08-2007, 03:29 PM
He can't sing but next year they need Albert The Bull.

http://www.worldslargestthings.com/iowa/albertfactsheet.htm

Close up of huge bull nuts.

jagerdrinker
02-08-2007, 06:16 PM
I don't chime in a whole lot here, but something has got to be said when someone is moronic enough to say that Prince is "washed up." You're talking about, in my opinion, one of the top 20 guitar players ever, and a Hell of a song writer. When you couple that with the fact that the dude absolutely kicked "All Along The Watchtowers" ass, and threw in a Hell of an ode to "The Best of You," enough is enough. I don't even like Prince, and I thought the dude was better than any of the last 10 halftime performances combined! Maybe Aerosmith and Britney suited you haters better?

greg63
02-08-2007, 06:55 PM
...The things that are considered newsworthy. :shake:

Halfcan
02-08-2007, 08:01 PM
Why would any normal dude want a guitar that looks like a d#ck anyway-what a freak.

munkey
02-08-2007, 08:07 PM
I don't chime in a whole lot here, but something has got to be said when someone is moronic enough to say that Prince is "washed up." You're talking about, in my opinion, one of the top 20 guitar players ever, and a Hell of a song writer. When you couple that with the fact that the dude absolutely kicked "All Along The Watchtowers" ass, and threw in a Hell of an ode to "The Best of You," enough is enough. I don't even like Prince, and I thought the dude was better than any of the last 10 halftime performances combined! Maybe Aerosmith and Britney suited you haters better?

No shit...

When I read the thread title I thought I actually missed something.. :shake:

I was dissappointed he didn't play something new...Purple Rain...That was a longgggg timmmeeee ago. His new stuff is good too.

Halfcan
02-08-2007, 08:09 PM
Top 20 guitar player-hahahahahaha

Top 20 rump ranger maybe-make that top 5

CHENZ A!
02-08-2007, 08:46 PM
Top 20 guitar player-hahahahahaha

Top 20 rump ranger maybe-make that top 5

dude Prince probably smashes dime pieces daily. He did have Carmen Electra on is jock at one time.

munkey
02-08-2007, 08:53 PM
dude Prince probably smashes dime pieces daily. He did have Carmen Electra on is jock at one time.

Halfcan must be only 12 years old if he doesn't realize what an impact prince has had on rock and roll...

I guess he could ask JCM and other artists if need be....Then again I'm sure he's never heard of John Cougar Mellencamp either...

munkey
02-08-2007, 08:54 PM
Opps...

I just read he's a realtor....I rest my case.

jagerdrinker
02-08-2007, 09:36 PM
I would say that Prince is every bit as influential to rock music as Neil Peart is to modern drummers. But then, I'm a Danny Carey fan, too.

Halfcan
02-08-2007, 10:27 PM
Halfcan must be only 12 years old if he doesn't realize what an impact prince has had on rock and roll...

I guess he could ask JCM and other artists if need be....Then again I'm sure he's never heard of John Cougar Mellencamp either...

I am not the one on a football site defending a guy with a purple jump suit and sequins. If you don't think have a guitar shaped like a penis and then jacking it off during half time is gay-I don't know what to tell you.

Halfcan
02-08-2007, 10:30 PM
Opps...

I just read he's a realtor....I rest my case.

Wow did the neg rep make you feel better about supporting your purple princess. Pretty lame munky boy.

FAX
02-08-2007, 10:42 PM
You make some intense and vehement points, Mr. Halfcan. Your sound logic and pointed articulation are inspiring, indeed. I have a few thoughts for you, though.

First of all, having a penis-shaped guitar is a comparatively good thing. For example, it beats out the globby, goard-shaped mandolin or the dreaded, prissy, heart-shaped set of marching bells. Second of all, if you have a penis-shaped guitar and you fondle it on stage, you can count on at least 40 young, nubile groupies waiting for you at your hotel and that's good for America. Third of all, if Prince wants to fondle his penis-shaped guitar at the SB, that's a lot better than the Peter, Paul, and Mary show and a step in the right direction as far as SB shows are concerned. Who knows? Maybe next year we'll get someone a little more edgy and they'll actually fondle a giant penis.

FAX

J Diddy
02-08-2007, 10:56 PM
I am not the one on a football site defending a guy with a purple jump suit and sequins. If you don't think have a guitar shaped like a penis and then jacking it off during half time is gay-I don't know what to tell you.

No, youre the one on a football suit with diarrhea of the fingers and every bit that comes out smells just like shit

your an idiot

J Diddy
02-08-2007, 10:57 PM
No, youre the one on a football site with diarrhea of the fingers and every bit that comes out smells just like shit
if you don't think prince had influence on rock and roll

your an idiot

Halfcan
02-08-2007, 10:59 PM
You make some intense and vehement points, Mr. Halfcan. Your sound logic and pointed articulation are inspiring, indeed. I have a few thoughts for you, though.

First of all, having a penis-shaped guitar is a comparatively good thing. For example, it beats out the globby, goard-shaped mandolin or the dreaded, prissy, heart-shaped set of marching bells. Second of all, if you have a penis-shaped guitar and you fondle it on stage, you can count on at least 40 young, nubile groupies waiting for you at your hotel and that's good for America. Third of all, if Prince wants to fondle his penis-shaped guitar at the SB, that's a lot better than the Peter, Paul, and Mary show and a step in the right direction as far as SB shows are concerned. Who knows? Maybe next year we'll get someone a little more edgy and they'll actually fondle a giant penis.

FAX

Actually I have always hated Prince-I put him in the same category as Michael Jackson and Boy George-just too freakin weird. An old girlfriend got to meet him/her when he was going by the symbol. Nobody in the room was allowed to make eye contact. One girl did and was dragged by her hair, out of the meet and greet on Princes orders. Talk about an ego.

As far as the SB-I find it ironic that the Gay community is offended by a very funny (IMO) Snickers commercial and bitch until it is pulled, but don't make a peep when Prince does his masterbating thing on tv when millions of kids are watching. I thought it was gay and very inappropriate. All the freakin uproar over Janets tit and they let that shit pass. Give me a break already.

Music wise, it is just not my thing, but as far as being some kind of messiah for rock and roll-that is laughable. He has always been pop. I will give him props for playing his own instraments and arranging his own music-very talented. That is a lot more than the pop acts today do. If Prince was such an inspration-you would think more pop bands would want to learn how to play music and want to direct their careers like he did. Other than that he is just a little weird dude running around in a purple nightgown trying to look sexy when he is way past his prime.

Halfcan
02-08-2007, 11:01 PM
No, youre the one on a football suit with diarrhea of the fingers and every bit that comes out smells just like shit

your an idiot

That is your best-pathetic. You seem to have a shit fetish so go eat some.

FAX
02-08-2007, 11:09 PM
Well said, Mr. Halfcan. That's one of the cool things about "art". It forces people to develop the capacity to agree to disagree over subjective topics. Personally, there are only a few Prince songs that appeal to me, but that's just my ear protecting my brain. As far as the show was concerned, it was a lot better than some of the vanilla pudding acts they've staged in the past.

I wish John Lennon was still alive.

FAX

Halfcan
02-08-2007, 11:16 PM
Well said, Mr. Halfcan. That's one of the cool things about "art". It forces people to develop the capacity to agree to disagree over subjective topics. Personally, there are only a few Prince songs that appeal to me, but that's just my ear protecting my brain. As far as the show was concerned, it was a lot better than some of the vanilla pudding acts they've staged in the past.

I wish John Lennon was still alive.

FAX

Actually I didn't have a problem with the music-but the masterbating just to try and shock the world-was uncalled for. The SB is for familys-we had just as many kids at the SB as adults. You would think with his talent he wouldnt have to resort to gimmicks to get his name in the papers. People could have been talking about what a nice show it was, good selection of tunes, great playing, especcially since it was raining which I am sure made everything a lot harder to pull off.

BUT NO!

Its all about his penis. No class!

Rausch
02-08-2007, 11:18 PM
If his d!ck was that big I wouldn't have to explain who the **** he is to my kids...

Bowser
02-08-2007, 11:24 PM
;';';

FAX
02-08-2007, 11:24 PM
Ah. I totally see your point now, Mr. Halfcan. I was missing it before. I totally agree with that view. Unnecessary and inappropriate for the particular gig. Agreed.

FAX

Halfcan
02-08-2007, 11:35 PM
Ah. I totally see your point now, Mr. Halfcan. I was missing it before. I totally agree with that view. Unnecessary and inappropriate for the particular gig. Agreed.

FAX

Everyone seemed to be totally into his show until he did that-you could hear a pin drop. I was not the only one that thought it was gay and inappropriate.

FAX
02-08-2007, 11:56 PM
Everyone seemed to be totally into his show until he did that-you could hear a pin drop. I was not the only one that thought it was gay and inappropriate.

The beautiful and witty Mrs. FAX had the same reaction. It went right over my head. Thank goodness.

FAX

Guru
02-09-2007, 12:07 AM

AT the bar, a bunch of people were just going "Did you just see that!?" Just stopped them all in their tracks and then we all died laughing.

Halfcan
02-09-2007, 12:20 AM
AT the bar, a bunch of people were just going "Did you just see that!?" Just stopped them all in their tracks and then we all died laughing.

yep and he got away with it-their stoopid delay didnt help them much-lol

Rausch
02-09-2007, 12:24 AM
Damn.

Here I was listening to the half time while posting on the planet. I completely missed a chance to see Prince's 50 year old poker.

My loss, I'm sure...

SPchief
02-09-2007, 12:27 AM
Well one thing is certain, Prince is no Rush.

Rausch
02-09-2007, 12:31 AM

Absolutely not.

I didn't switch the station...

SPchief
02-09-2007, 12:36 AM
Absolutely not.

I didn't switch the station...

yep

Halfcan
02-09-2007, 12:40 AM

I was wondering when someone was going to drop the R bomb-lol

Just because they are my favs doesn't mean I don't like any other music. I mean there are a lot worse pop bands than Prince-he does have talent-just hate him as a person. It seems so unnessasary at this point in his career to resort to crap like that.

I bet there a lot more similarities with Rush and Prince than you could imagine-starting with telling the record companies to F#ck off. That actually made me respect him a little-because he was getting hosed and he took a public stand. Not following trends. Being in control of the whole recording process. Musical ability.

Holy shit I am a closet prince fan. Why did he have to jack off his guitar-WHY!!!!

Halfcan
02-09-2007, 12:42 AM
yep

oh man thats it-I am going to neg rep you with some stoopid insult, put down your profession, and then write a whole post comparing you to shit because you have a different oppinion! :banghead: :banghead:

Some people on here really need to grow up.

Rausch
02-09-2007, 12:43 AM
Some people on here really need to grow up.

I refuse...

Halfcan
02-09-2007, 12:45 AM
See it is okay to constantly slam a band like Rush, that has never made a ass of themselves in public and does tons of charity work. But when Prince puts himself in a position to be criticized and then someone does-oh that is way over the line.

Get a freakin life you losers.

Halfcan
02-09-2007, 12:47 AM
I refuse...

I was referring to Jdidy and his stoopid shit post. And Munky and his I LOVE PRINCE and anyone who doesn't SUCKS-attitude.

Does anyone really think Prince is not Bisexual anyway??

Halfcan
02-09-2007, 12:48 AM
Oh I love how they shift the blame to Eddie Van Halen and Jimi-that was a classic.

SPchief
02-09-2007, 12:54 AM
Obsess much?

Halfcan
02-09-2007, 12:57 AM
Obsess much?

No just a couple of f#cktards pissed me off-I was only joking to start with-but they have to get personal. It was uncalled for.

SPchief
02-09-2007, 12:58 AM
No just a couple of f#cktards pissed me off-I was only joking to start with-but they have to get personal. It was uncalled for.

How did they get personal?

Halfcan
02-09-2007, 01:02 AM
How did they get personal?

Comparing someone to shit, name calling, neg rep, putting down my profession-all over Prince-like I said I was joking with my first comment. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah bashing Rush-but I am used to that-lol

Rausch
02-09-2007, 01:05 AM
I was referring to Jdidy and his stoopid shit post. And Munky and his I LOVE PRINCE and anyone who doesn't SUCKS-attitude.

Does anyone really think Prince is not Bisexual anyway??

You really should watch "An Evening With Kevin Smith."

Halfcan
02-09-2007, 01:31 AM
You really should watch "An Evening With Kevin Smith."

Been wanting to see it. Just saw Clerks two-and was surprised it was that good. Lots of people hated it so I wasnt sure what to expect. The Donkey show was classic.

greg63
02-09-2007, 06:18 AM

You did not...die I mean. :p

BigRedChief
02-09-2007, 08:43 AM
Been wanting to see it. Just saw Clerks two-and was surprised it was that good. Lots of people hated it so I wasnt sure what to expect. The Donkey show was classic.
I thought Clerks2 was hilarious