PDA

View Full Version : I broke my daughters heart this morning

bogie
02-07-2007, 11:03 AM
Long story short, she wanted a kitten and it didn't fit in our life right now. I told her no, and she cried legitimate tears. Actually, I broke my heart today not giving my daughter what she wanted. It's tough being a parent.

88TG88
02-07-2007, 11:05 AM
how old is she

bogie
02-07-2007, 11:06 AM
how old is she

She's 8 years old.

FAX
02-07-2007, 11:07 AM
Dang. That's tough.

I'm curious, though. Why doesn't a cute, little, baby kitten fit into your life right now, Mr. bogie?

FAX

Cochise
02-07-2007, 11:07 AM
Ah, you'd have just felt worse when kitty got into the antifreeze.

BIG_DADDY
02-07-2007, 11:11 AM
Do you have any animals?

88TG88
02-07-2007, 11:11 AM
makes sense u gotta feed the thing and what not. you did the right thing

Donger
02-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Heh. We just had our kitten fixed and the vet said that all of her teeth needed to be removed, at the cost of $600.00. The vet claimed that the cat has rotting teeth and that they would all eventually fall out.

My five year old boy listened to my wife telling me all this and said, "Well, if they are all going to fall out anyway, why should we have to pay for it?"

FAX
02-07-2007, 11:12 AM
My son shampooed his hamster (Jeff) once. After he used the blow dryer on the little fella, Jeff's hair got so fluffy, he was approximately the size of a basketball. Jeff died soon thereafter.

We had a shoebox funeral (his poor little hair was sticking out of the top all around) and everyone shed a tear for the unfortunate, overheated guy. That was sad. You have to consider the capacity for the young person to care for their pet, I suppose.

FAX

Redrum_69
02-07-2007, 11:18 AM
Long story short, she wanted a kitten and it didn't fit in our life right now. I told her no, and she cried legitimate tears. Actually, I broke my heart today not giving my daughter what she wanted. It's tough being a parent.

Just buy her a pit bull

It's documented that they make wonderful pets for kids.

Your best bet would be to catch one off the street, pick out the toughest one and lure him into your backyard...problem solved! Kids happy!

StcChief
02-07-2007, 11:19 AM
Heh. We just had our kitten fixed and the vet said that all of her teeth needed to be removed, at the cost of $600.00. The vet claimed that the cat has rotting teeth and that they would all eventually fall out.

My five year old boy listened to my wife telling me all this and said, "Well, if they are all going to fall out anyway, why should we have to pay for it?"
Kid is showing signs of being intelligent....

I guess the vet thought he had sucker in the office.

Tell vet he could be a mechanic too.

Redrum_69
02-07-2007, 11:19 AM

Sounds like you been given your pussy too much candy

RJ
02-07-2007, 11:20 AM
Last week my daughter's pre-school had a class trip to a concert. It was on my day off so I volunteered to help out. Our understanding was that we'd be taking a bus there. My daughter is three and is fascinated with yellow school buses. This was to be her first trip on one and she was really excited, more for the bus than the concert.

On the morning of the trip, after arriving at the school, we were told that the 3 y/o's couldn't ride the bus because of insurance regs and we would have to drive. Of course she burst into tears and cried most of the way there.

First time in her life, I think, that she was ever truly disappointed. I felt like crap about the whole thing because there was nothing I could do to make it better. Such is life, at least at times.

On the plus side, the concert was fun and the bus ride that wasn't soon faded to memory

bogie
02-07-2007, 11:22 AM
Dang. That's tough.

I'm curious, though. Why doesn't a cute, little, baby kitten fit into your life right now, Mr. bogie?

FAX

It is a pain in the ass!

BIG_DADDY
02-07-2007, 11:22 AM

I can't stand the great majority of vets. The worst is when you have an animal with cancer. My last vet wanted to start treatment on my English Bulldog. I asked what his percentage of the animals he worked on he cured of cancer. You get that blank stare just before realizing he wanted to keep your animal alive just a little bit longer even though it would be completely miserable at a cost of 2-3k to you.

bogie
02-07-2007, 11:23 AM
Do you have any animals?

We have a Border Collie.

ROYC75
02-07-2007, 11:23 AM
My son shampooed his hamster (Jeff) once. After he used the blow dryer on the little fella, Jeff's hair got so fluffy, he was approximately the size of a basketball. Jeff died soon thereafter.

We had a shoebox funeral (his poor little hair was sticking out of the top all around) and everyone shed a tear for the unfortunate, overheated guy. That was sad. You have to consider the capacity for the young person to care for their pet, I suppose.

FAX

The wife and I was in our family room one day, ( 1986 / 87 ) and heard our dyer come on. It had a thunk, thunk thunk sound to it....... III had put our cat in the dryer cause he was mad at it. The cat came out alive, just dazed and confused.

JimNasium
02-07-2007, 11:24 AM
Antifreeze?

Frazod
The little f#ckers can be expensive, and if funds are tight, you probably made the right call.

We got a kitten right before Christmas, and have already spent at least $350 on vet bills; in addition to the standard shots, she also had a bad case of earmites along with ear and respiratory infections. The hemorraging of funds has eased off now, though. We're actually on a payment plan that covers most stuff for about $20 a month for the first year. She has two more rounds of shots and neutering, and hopefully that'll be it. Our older cats haven't been to the vet in years and are fine.

If you do break down and get your daughter a kitten, though, some advice - first, get one that's healthy if you can. Second, resolve to keep the cat as an indoor pet. This will cut down on disease exposure and risks of being killed/injured by a variety of things beyond your control.

BIG_DADDY
We have a Border Collie.

Tell her she can have a kitten but she has to give up the dog then. Works every time.

FAX
The wife and I was in our family room one day, ( 1986 / 87 ) and heard our dyer come on. It had a thunk, thunk thunk sound to it....... III had put our cat in the dryer cause he was mad at it. The cat came out alive, just dazed and confused.

ROFL

God!

I've always wanted to do that.

FAX

FDS
02-07-2007, 11:25 AM
It would have died in the shower anyway.

PBJ FirstDownSamie PBJ

Demonpenz
02-07-2007, 11:28 AM
i was never a big fan of cats. One day I was so pissed at the one we had growing up i stepped on it's neck and killed it. I just put a piece of food in it's mouth so my parents thought it choked to death

ROYC75
02-07-2007, 11:33 AM
The little f#ckers can be expensive, and if funds are tight, you probably made the right call.

We got a kitten right before Christmas, and have already spent at least $350 on vet bills; in addition to the standard shots, she also had a bad case of earmites along with ear and respiratory infections. The hemorraging of funds has eased off now, though. We're actually on a payment plan that covers most stuff for about $20 a month for the first year. She has two more rounds of shots and neutering, and hopefully that'll be it. Our older cats haven't been to the vet in years and are fine.

If you do break down and get your daughter a kitten, though, some advice - first, get one that's healthy if you can. Second, resolve to keep the cat as an indoor pet. This will cut down on disease exposure and risks of being killed/injured by a variety of things beyond your control.

No kidding ...... 1977, My Stepfather went out to go to the store after returning home from work,it was winter time. The cat we had , maybe 6 months old, got up in the engine area because of the heat off the engine. Started the car and heard the thump, thump thump under the hood. Opened the hood and there was poor Matilda, all cut up and bleeding, laying motionless. He put the damm cat in the garbage can...... Now it's cold, 20 * or so.

I come home an hour later, they told me what had happened. Being all of 20 years old, I wanted to see the chopped up cat. I opened the can and the cat looked up at me and said ...... meeeeoooowwwwwwww. WTF ? :eek: All banged up and alive, I told them and they said it was dead. Ha Ha, it knocked him out, they took it to the vet, cost $ 800.00 for that damned ole barn cat to get fixed.
Lost an eye, some teeth, broken bones and half a paw .......

That cat stayed close to me the rest of it's life, it finally died in 1995.

bogie
02-07-2007, 11:35 AM

I'll try to keep this short. My wife and child found this kitten running the streets. We gave it to a neighbor who had cats. The cat didn't work out for the neighbor so they gave it back to us. The cat is deaf. It bugs the hell out of our dog. The dog growls which would normally teach the cat to chill out. However, the cat can't hear the growls. The next step for the dog is probably grabbing the cat by the head and shaking it until it listens. I suspect the cat wouldn't survive that, so the cat has to go. Also, the little mother f*cker likes to bite my nose at 6:30 in the morning. And when it farts, it's worse than my farts after a super-bowl party.

BIG_DADDY
02-07-2007, 11:35 AM
No kidding ...... 1977, My Stepfather went out to go to the store after returning home from work,it was winter time. The cat we had , maybe 6 months old, got up in the engine area because of the heat off the engine. Started the car and heard the thump, thump thump under the hood. Opened the hood and there was poor Matilda, all cut up and bleeding, laying motionless. He put the damm cat in the garbage can...... Now it's cold, 20 * or so.

I come home an hour later, they told me what had happened. Being all of 20 years old, I wanted to see the chopped up cat. I opened the can and the cat looked up at me and said ...... meeeeoooowwwwwwww. WTF ? :eek: All banged up and alive, I told them and they said it was dead. Ha Ha, it knocked him out, they took it to the vet, cost $ 800.00 for that damned ole barn cat to get fixed.

You gotta put that thing down.

BIG_DADDY
02-07-2007, 11:37 AM
I'll try to keep this short. My wife and child found this kitten running the streets. We gave it to a neighbor who had cats. The cat didn't work out for the neighbor so they gave it back to us. The cat is deaf. It bugs the hell out of our dog. The dog growls which would normally teach the cat to chill out. However, the cat can't hear the growls. The next step for the dog is probably grabbing the cat by the head and shaking it until it listens. I suspect the cat wouldn't survive that, so the cat has to go. Also, the little mother f*cker likes to bite my nose at 6:30 in the morning. And when it farts, it's worse than my farts after a super-bowl party.

So what did you do, put it under the hood and start the car?

Frazod
02-07-2007, 11:40 AM

They're certainly resilient - that nine lives thing didn't come about for nothing. The last cat we had the died was left for dead in the bed of a pickup in the middle of winter, injured and diseased. She must have used up 8 of those lives, but survived on the last one for for another 10 years. Of course, it ended up costing $600 when did finally die, though. $600 for a dead cat SUCKS. :grr:

bogie
02-07-2007, 11:41 AM
So what did you do, put it under the hood and start the car?

:) We found someone that just got a kitten. They think their kitten is lonely and needs a playmate. We're giving it to them. We made it clear there are no returns.

The Rick
02-07-2007, 11:42 AM
My daughter is three and she broke my heart not too long ago.

She LOVES the movie "Cars". She has a lot of the characters from the movie with "Lightning McQueen" as her favorite. She takes him everywhere and he "sleeps" in her bed next to her.

Anyway, she was really acting up one night at bedtime. We went through various punishments (timeout, etc.) and finally got to the point of taking things away from her. I took away Lightning McQueen and her reaction hit me like a ton of bricks. She began bawling and saying, "Daddy! Please don't take him! Please don't take away my very best friend!".

I felt awful from that point on. :( It is sometimes tough being a parent when you have to punish them or tell them "no".

Frazod
02-07-2007, 11:45 AM

The bad farts come from the cat being outside eating whatever it takes to survive. It goes away after a couple of weeks when all the bad stuff finally gets out of its system. When they first got it, our neighbor's kitten ripped farts that would damn near knock you unconscious.

My kitten's a nose-biter as well, but she's finally getting over it. As for the other problems, yeah, I don't blame you for getting rid of it. Sounds like a real pain in the ass. Cats are pets for people who don't want a pain in the ass.

bogie
02-07-2007, 11:46 AM

She LOVES the movie "Cars". She has a lot of the characters from the movie with "Lightning McQueen" as her favorite. She takes him everywhere and he "sleeps" in her bed next to her.

Anyway, she was really acting up one night at bedtime. We went through various punishments (timeout, etc.) and finally got to the point of taking things away from her. I took away Lightning McQueen and her reaction hit me like a ton of bricks. She began bawling and saying, "Daddy! Please don't take him! Please don't take away my very best friend!".

I felt awful from that point on... :(

Wow, what an asshole. j/k. I can relate. My little girl has me wrapped around her little finger. I can't tell you how many times she's broken my heart by me breaking hers. I'm a push over to a point, then my parenting skills have to take over. I've been a Dad for 8 years and I'm still not sure I'm doing it right.

BIG_DADDY
02-07-2007, 11:52 AM
:) We found someone that just got a kitten. They think their kitten is lonely and needs a playmate. We're giving it to them. We made it clear there are no returns.

I have place so many animals in homes it's ridiculous. I even had someone leave a whole box of kttens at my doorstep once. I found them all good homes in jst two days. One of them bit a power cord though and ran up a $1,200 tab before it kidked it. I never did understand that. I compassionate to a point and then it gets ridiculous. My english bully ran up the biggest tab. Probably cost me that much throughout the 8 years I had it. Don't get that breed unless you are willing to spend some money. lil momma wants another one. I still have a hard time justifying that my current dog has only cost me $200 in vet bills since I got him 4 years ago and he was free. Bully ran $1,600 and would probably run $2,500 to replace.

fan4ever
02-07-2007, 11:55 AM
We have a Border Collie.

Those are supposed to be super smart, if not the smartest, dogs there are. Tell it to act like a kitten every once in a while.

bogie
02-07-2007, 11:56 AM
The bad farts come from the cat being outside eating whatever it takes to survive. It goes away after a couple of weeks when all the bad stuff finally gets out of its system. When they first got it, our neighbor's kitten ripped farts that would damn near knock you unconscious.

My kitten's a nose-biter as well, but she's finally getting over it. As for the other problems, yeah, I don't blame you for getting rid of it. Sounds like a real pain in the ass. Cats are pets for people who don't want a pain in the ass.

I'm a freak. I love all animals. We used to have a cat until a coyote got her. Her name was Phoebe and she loved sleeping on my chest while I watched TV in bed. I would give her butt massages. Her purring was so loud I had to turn up the TV to hear it. I had hoped this kitty would work out but it didn't. We made it very clear to my kid that we aren't sure we can keep the cat. She forgot those conversations.

kcfanXIII
02-07-2007, 11:56 AM
great, all vets are assholes? i've only used two. the one we used when i was growing up, lived in my neighberhood. he always has been real nice. the only time i've taken an animal elsewhere, the guy basically told me i was a terrible owner because my pup wasn't fixed yet. i had every intention of having her spayed, yet the way this guy put it, i HAD to do it that instant. after he was done i asked him if he were fisnished and, how much i owed; paid him and told him he could go **** himself. i love my pets and will not be accused of mistreatment, especially the way this guy did it. i got her fixed about a month later, at my old vet.

kepp
02-07-2007, 12:00 PM
I can't stand the great majority of vets. The worst is when you have an animal with cancer. My last vet wanted to start treatment on my English Bulldog. I asked what his percentage of the animals he worked on he cured of cancer. You get that blank stare just before realizing he wanted to keep your animal alive just a little bit longer even though it would be completely miserable at a cost of 2-3k to you.
That definitely rings true. I could only sit by and watch while a vet milked my retired parents out of about $5K for cancer treatment on their dog who I knew was going to die anyway. I bet a lot of people lose a lot of $$ like that.

bogie
02-07-2007, 12:03 PM
Those are supposed to be super smart, if not the smartest, dogs there are. Tell it to act like a kitten every once in a while.

She's a very smart dog. I think she knew the cat was deaf. Otherwise she would have rung its neck right off the bat.

penguinz
02-07-2007, 12:04 PM
Just tell her that cats are dumb and worthless animals.

bogie
02-07-2007, 12:07 PM
Just tell her that cats are dumb and worthless animals.

After 30 minutes of her freaking out, I wanted to. But I refrained.

BIG_DADDY
02-07-2007, 12:19 PM
great, all vets are assholes? i've only used two. the one we used when i was growing up, lived in my neighberhood. he always has been real nice. the only time i've taken an animal elsewhere, the guy basically told me i was a terrible owner because my pup wasn't fixed yet. i had every intention of having her spayed, yet the way this guy put it, i HAD to do it that instant. after he was done i asked him if he were fisnished and, how much i owed; paid him and told him he could go **** himself. i love my pets and will not be accused of mistreatment, especially the way this guy did it. i got her fixed about a month later, at my old vet.

Dude, I brought my pit in when it was a pup and because I wouldn't get a rabies vacination I got accused of the same thing by the girl behind the desk of abuse. I told her I knew another vet in that area who retired recently and out of all the years he was a vet he had not dealt with one single case of actual rabies here in Northern California. I told her to look at my dog. He is in killer shape, coat is shiney as hell, teeth are perfect. I told her if she thought I was abusive she was an idiot and started to walk out. Vet stopped and appologized for her reaction. Bottom line is they have you giving your dog WAY too many vaccines and they aren't cheap. On top of that they want to charge you $60 to look in his ears, feel his belly and stick a thermometer up his ass. It gets to a point where it is just ridiculous. The mandatory spray/nuetering programs are the latest thing they are trying to pass legislation on. They did it in my area. **** them my dog is keeping his nads. When the ****ers passing this shit cut off their own family jewls maybe I'll consider it.

RJ
02-07-2007, 12:35 PM

I felt awful from that point on. :( It is sometimes tough being a parent when you have to punish them or tell them "no".

My daughter is the same way about Cars so I can pretty well imagine that scene. You must have been taking a serious stand to take away Lightning. Did you give him back?

kcfanXIII
02-07-2007, 12:37 PM
well, spaying/neutering should be a voluntary thing. i had every intention of having it done, i just didn't have thecash to do it at the time. the thing is, the guy is highly recomended by all his customers, i take my lab in, and end up telling him to **** off.
and as far as breed specific legislation, its all bullshit. any one that dosen't think a pit can be a calm centered dog, take a look at ceaser millian. he has multiple pits, along with rots and other "aggressive breeds." most ofthem with violent history, but with the right owner, the dog whisperer in this case, they don't even need leashes.

dj56dt58
02-07-2007, 12:57 PM
asshole

Kerberos
02-07-2007, 01:01 PM
I think the young people enjoy it when I get down, verbally, don't you?

Real Genius? Professor at the Freshman mixer?

SNR
02-07-2007, 01:04 PM
If your daughter gets a sex change operation later on in life, you have no one to blame but yourself

BucEyedPea
02-07-2007, 01:07 PM
Geez! Mine has a horse, a dog, a cat, has had numerouse fish, a wall of gerbil cages in her rooms 'til they reproduced so much ( like every two weeks) I had to get rid of all of them last spring, several bunnies, two hamsters and now she wants a 2nd dog and cat....I don't feel bad for her at all saying "no." But I gotta admit I really enjoyed and do miss the Hamscar races we had here.

I say break down and get her something. Poor kid. I was never allowed animals growing up except for a parakeet.

boogblaster
02-07-2007, 01:10 PM
When Boogette was about 3 she had a kitten..one day I looked out the windowshe had it by the neck twirlling it around and around..well about 5 minutes later she came into the house..my kitty won't move anymore..death by twirlling..her brother Boog Jr. about 5 yrs her senior called her a murderer..she cried for days..nice little life lesson for 3 year olds...

bogie
02-07-2007, 01:10 PM
Geez! Mine has a horse, a dog, a cat, has had numerouse fish, a wall of gerbil cages in her rooms 'til they reproduced so much ( like every two weeks) I had to get rid of all of them last spring, several bunnies, two hamsters and now she wants a 2nd dog and cat....I don't feel bad for her at all saying "no." But I gotta admit I really enjoyed and do miss the Hamscar races we had here.

I say break down and get her something. Poor kid. I was never allowed animals growing up except for a parakeet.

She's has a dog, had a cat, 2 goldfish and a rabbit. She's enjoyed life and death of pets.

SNR
02-07-2007, 01:11 PM

I say break down and get her something. Poor kid. I was never allowed animals growing up except for a parakeet.My dad grew up with two African Grey parrots. Those ****ers said a whole lot of things. For example, one time his mom (my grandma) was working in the kitchen with the parrots in the room and the doorbell rang. My grandma accidentally dropped a plate of food and said "oh shit." From that point on, whenever the doorbell rang, those parrots would say "Oh shit."

Sadly, one of them got a disease of some type and died. The other one went into total depression. Its feathers began to fall out and wouldn't eat at all. My grandparents had to put it to sleep. Sad, because those things live a long time.

BucEyedPea
02-07-2007, 01:12 PM
She's has a dog, had a cat, 2 goldfish and a rabbit. She's enjoyed life and death of pets.
Oh well fair enough. I don't feel sorry for her anymore now. :)
You did right.

bogie
02-07-2007, 01:15 PM
Oh well fair enough. I don't feel sorry for her anymore now. :)
You did right.

I'm feeling sorry for her enough for the both of us.

BucEyedPea
02-07-2007, 01:15 PM
When Boogette was about 3 she had a kitten..one day I looked out the windowshe had it by the neck twirlling it around and around..well about 5 minutes later she came into the house..my kitty won't move anymore..death by twirlling..her brother Boog Jr. about 5 yrs her senior called her a murderer..she cried for days..nice little life lesson for 3 year olds...
That's what mine did to our dog, she tormented it, trapped it etc. Now she isn't that friendly with my kid. Basically she wants another for a second chance since she's older.

She also caused our first bunny to lose it's hair by putting tiny elastic bands on her leg, which were never seen until the white furred critter was pink and furless !

They think they're toys.

SNR on what your parrot said. ROFL

Jim Jones
02-07-2007, 01:21 PM

It's not that big of a deal - I mean, they'll probably hate you for the rest of her life, but I wouldn't get too worked up over it.

Chief Chief
02-07-2007, 01:24 PM
bogie, you're such a wuss!!

So you're telling me your girl should get anything she asks for whenever she wants it? #@*% THAT!!

She'll be the biggest brat in town if you say "YES!" all the time. It appears your problem is that you don't effectively communicate the negative response to her. You don't just say "No" and expect her to know exactly why she can't have a pet. You do have to explain why and give her some hope that maybe a pet will be allowed at some time in the future.

BTW, check out your daughter's disposition tomorrow. I bet she won't be in a depressed mood with tears flowing; i.e., she'll have found a way to build a bridge and get over it!

And..if this response bothers you in any way..build a #@*%in' bridge and get over it!

bogie
02-07-2007, 01:32 PM
bogie, you're such a wuss!!

So you're telling me your girl should get anything she asks for whenever she wants it? #@*% THAT!!

She'll be the biggest brat in town if you say "YES!" all the time. It appears your problem is that you don't effectively communicate the negative response to her. You don't just say "No" and expect her to know exactly why she can't have a pet. You do have to explain why and give her some hope that maybe a pet will be allowed at some time in the future.

BTW, check out your daughter's disposition tomorrow. I bet she won't be in a depressed mood with tears flowing; i.e., she'll have found a way to build a bridge and get over it!

And..if this response bothers you in any way..build a #@*%in' bridge and get over it!

Hmmm. I did say no. I did explain to her why. I am very good at effectively communicating with her. I'm fully aware that tomorrow this will be but a memory. She already has a pet. Did you come up with the build a bridge line all by yourself?

Chief Chief
02-07-2007, 01:46 PM
No..but you "..broke (your) heart today not giving my daughter what she wanted.." (Awww..)

You said your daughter is 8 and it appears from your short blurb that this was the first time you ever said no to her and how it tore you apart.

Well, if indeed it was the first time she encountered a negative response from you, you're due for alot more problems down the road from her.

And go talk to a surgeon to see what he can do to attach some balls between your legs cuz I know for sure you can't grow a pair!

Frazod
02-07-2007, 01:54 PM
No..but you "..broke (your) heart today not giving my daughter what she wanted.." (Awww..)

You said your daughter is 8 and it appears from your short blurb that this was the first time you ever said no to her and how it tore you apart.

Well, if indeed it was the first time she encountered a negative response from you, you're due for alot more problems down the road from her.

And go talk to a surgeon to see what he can do to attach some balls between your legs cuz I know for sure you can't grow a pair!

That's nice.

For anyone who ever wondered what Dr. Phil would be like if you starved him for three weeks and then gave him a lobotomy, I give you Chief Chief.

:shake:

bogie
02-07-2007, 02:00 PM

It did break my heart seeing my daughter heart broken. I don't like to see her heart broken. Where did you get from my short blurb that this was the first time I've said no to her? When necessary, I say no to her, I still don't like to see her heart broken. You don't do this much do you. Do yourself a favor and stay in the background a little longer. And please, if you are going to post, try some originality.

The Rick
02-07-2007, 02:13 PM
My daughter is the same way about Cars so I can pretty well imagine that scene. You must have been taking a serious stand to take away Lightning. Did you give him back?
She got him back first thing the next morning (it was bedtime when she got him taken away). She was so excited to get him back...

Chief Chief
02-07-2007, 02:13 PM
Great! Now, everytime ya disappoint your daughter (or anyone else for that matter) we're gonna hear another heart-breaker of a story from ya!

It's clear you're looking for sympathy. You'll find it in the dictionary between 2 words you're well-known for: "$hithole" and "syphilis".

BIG_DADDY
02-07-2007, 02:19 PM
Great! Now, everytime ya disappoint your daughter (or anyone else for that matter) we're gonna hear another heart-breaker of a story from ya!

It's clear you're looking for sympathy. You'll find it in the dictionary between 2 words you're well-known for: "$hithole" and "syphilis".

Dude stop. I am not exactly sure what you're trying to prove here. He is just sharing a little about his life. I don't think he was playing the sympathy card at all. Personally he sounds like a pretty good father to me. He found the cat a new home and didn't let his daughter witness his dog shredding the irritant.

FAX
02-07-2007, 02:26 PM

Dang.

FAX

bogie
02-07-2007, 02:35 PM

Holy moly... are you having a bad day or what? Is shithole actually in the dictionary?

|Zach|
02-07-2007, 02:37 PM
Dude stop. I am not exactly sure what you're trying to prove here. He is just sharing a little about his life. I don't think he was playing the sympathy card at all. Personally he sounds like a pretty good father to me. He found the cat a new home and didn't let his daughter witness his dog shredding the irritant.
No kidding, its like he is making up this character in his mind to fight with and projecting it on bogie. What a douchebag.

BIG_DADDY
02-07-2007, 02:38 PM
Holy moly... are you having a bad day or what? Is shithole actually in the dictionary?

There are no dictionary entries for shit hole, but shit, hole are spelled correctly. LMAO

bogie
02-08-2007, 11:04 AM
This story took an interesting turn. Sorry, this is long. So move on if you want.
I got a call last night from my wife. She was calling me from the animal emergency hospital. It seems she and my daughter were leaving the house, and unbeknownst to them, the cat darted out the door. My wife started backing out of the drive and felt a thump and heard a rrrrrrrroooooowwwwwwrrrrrr. That's right, they ran over the f*cking cat. So they pack her up and head to emergency and my wife calls me in tears. I then rushed from work to emergency, this is about 6:15 PM. The cat was already in with the vet and they had given it pain meds. They wanted to do Xrays so they could better diagnose internal injuries. This was going to cost roughly $460.00.

This cat was a stray that followed my wife and kid home. We gave it to the neighbors and they kept it a while, but then gave it back to us. My wife found someone else to take the cat. They were going to drop it off to the new owner yesterday evening. The new owners are no longer interested in a 1/2 squished cat.

Before we did the Xrays, I called the vet in and I suggested we uthenize the cat. He said he wouldn't uthenize it without doing a diagostic with the Xrays. I told him, I appreciate him wanting to do what's best but I didn't want to pay $460.00 to fix a stray (okay, pile on). My other option was to find a different vet. That meant packing up a wounded animal and driving around LA finding a vet at 8:00 PM. While I didn't want to spend the money, I also didn't want this animal to suffer. So I said fine, do the Xray, but you gotta work with me on the price and give me a list of rescues that will take the cat as is. After he explained the diagnosis, (the kitty's pelvis was broken) he recommended surgery $800ish. I knew for sure that wasn't going to happen unless the rescue wanted to pay for it. I'm thinking to myself, I've twisted the necks of many rabbits, squirrels and dove in my life and I could... never mind.... So I packed up the cat, got some pain meds and went home.

Today, my wife called another vet for a different opinion and he said that a cat with this kind of injury should definitely be put down. Apparently emergency hospitals are notorious for this kind of thing. With Xrays, meds and consultation, the bill was around $560.00. He discounted me $100.00. $460.00 later the cat is probably en-route right now to the second vet.

BIG_DADDY
02-08-2007, 11:12 AM
This story took an interesting turn. Sorry, this is long. So move on if you want.
I got a call last night from my wife. She was calling me from the animal emergency hospital. It seems she and my daughter were leaving the house, and unbeknownst to them, the cat darted out the door. My wife started backing out of the drive and felt a thump and heard a rrrrrrrroooooowwwwwwrrrrrr. That's right, they ran over the f*cking cat. So they pack her up and head to emergency and my wife calls me in tears. I then rushed from work to emergency, this is about 6:15 PM. The cat was already in with the vet and they had given it pain meds. They wanted to do Xrays so they could better diagnose internal injuries. This was going to cost roughly $460.00.

This cat was a stray that followed my wife and kid home. We gave it to the neighbors and they kept it a while, but then gave it back to us. My wife found someone else to take the cat. They were going to drop it off to the new owner yesterday evening. The new owners are no longer interested in a 1/2 squished cat.

Before we did the Xrays, I called the vet in and I suggested we uthenize the cat. He said he wouldn't uthenize it without doing a diagostic with the Xrays. I told him, I appreciate him wanting to do what's best but I didn't want to pay $460.00 to fix a stray (okay, pile on). My other option was to find a different vet. That meant packing up a wounded animal and driving around LA finding a vet at 8:00 PM. While I didn't want to spend the money, I also didn't want this animal to suffer. So I said fine, do the Xray, but you gotta work with me on the price and give me a list of rescues that will take the cat as is. After he explained the diagnosis, (the kitty's pelvis was broken) he recommended surgery $800ish. I knew for sure that wasn't going to happen unless the rescue wanted to pay for it. I'm thinking to myself, I've twisted the necks of many rabbits, squirrels and dove in my life and I could... never mind.... So I packed up the cat, got some pain meds and went home.

Today, my wife called another vet for a different opinion and he said that a cat with this kind of injury should definitely be put down. Apparently emergency hospitals are notorious for this kind of thing. With Xrays, meds and consultation, the bill was around $560.00. He discounted me $100.00. $460.00 later the cat is probably en-route right now to the second vet.

Dude, you should have just dropped the animal off at the vets and taken off. That's still what I would do. Either that or take it to the SPCA and say you found it in the road they will put it down. Lastly you could tell your wife an daughter you are taking it to the vet and then put it down yourself and tell them it died on the way. No way I would spend any money though.

Frazod
02-08-2007, 11:20 AM

OUCH

God, that sucks. And it sounds like there's nothing you can do to stop your wife from racking up more bills on a 99% dead cat that will probably end up croaking anyway. That's a bitch.

RJ
02-08-2007, 11:20 AM
You know the saying....no good deed goes unpunished.

bogie
02-08-2007, 11:32 AM
Dude, you should have just dropped the animal off at the vets and taken off. That's still what I would do. Either that or take it to the SPCA and say you found it in the road they will put it down. Lastly you could tell your wife an daughter you are taking it to the vet and then put it down yourself and tell them it died on the way. No way I would spend any money though.

I wish I would of thought of the SPCA last night. I thought about ringin' its little neck, but when it's all said and done, I probably couldn't do it.

88TG88
02-08-2007, 11:36 AM
bogie u are a better man than me. i dont know how i could've overcome the temptation to just throw the stray cat in a dumpster

bogie
02-08-2007, 11:36 AM
OUCH

God, that sucks. And it sounds like there's nothing you can do to stop your wife from racking up more bills on a 99% dead cat that will probably end up croaking anyway. That's a bitch.

As much as I'd like to, I can't blame it all on the wife. Except for the fact that she ran over the thing.

bogie
02-08-2007, 11:38 AM
bogie u are a better man than me. i dont know how i could've overcome the temptation to just throw the stray cat in a dumpster

I used to think that too until I was actually confronted with the situation. I folded like a $1.00 bill.

bogie
02-08-2007, 11:48 AM
Update... My wife took the cat to the 2nd vet expecting it to be euthanized. After examining the Xrays and the cat, the second vet said this cat was fine and just has a sprain. It will be fine in 2 weeks. The hospital had said it would be 6 - 8 weeks and we needed to keep it confined to a small room for that period of time. The 2nd vet said it doesn't have to be confined at all.
So now the cat is back home. The plan is to nurse it back to health and get rid of it.

El Jefe
02-08-2007, 12:10 PM
Big Daddy "you should of dropped the animal off and left", man that is funny, I agree with you Bogie I would not want to spend that money on a stray cat, but at least you were humane. "I see someone (chief chief) woke up on the wrong side of the rock".

Phobia
02-08-2007, 12:12 PM
We got a kitten right before Christmas, and have already spent at least $350 on vet bills
I wouldn't spend $10 on a cat.

BIG_DADDY
02-08-2007, 12:14 PM

Amen

NewChief
02-08-2007, 12:14 PM
The plan is to nurse it back to health and get rid of it.

You better hope it starts spraying your house or peeing on the table or doing something particularly obnoxious. Otherwise, you're going to be stuck with a cat after nursing it back to health for two weeks. No way the women let you get rid of it after it's wormed it's slinky little feline way into their hearts.

Phobia
02-08-2007, 12:18 PM

Unless maybe it was cheaper than dog-food.

memyselfI
02-08-2007, 12:24 PM
Disclaimer: I am a cat lover and I work in a Vet's office.

Here is the deal. A kitten is an excellent companion animal for a small child. They are, for the most part, low maintenance past the kitten stage until adulthood and if, socialized at an early age, will be a cuddly loving friend for your daughter.

You have to be very careful about the type of breed of cat you pick as certain cats have predisposition to being friendly than others. But, just like dogs, they have individual personalities and some will be very outgoing while others more timid.

I haven't read the entire thread to know what the objection is to her having a kitten but a cat is one of those pets whose upfront expenses ie: spay/neuter, declaw (don't like it but accept that it's necessary for good homes) and initial vaccines are going to be the hardest hit. After that they need food, litter, and a few toys. If they are indoor cats then you don't even need to vaccinate them but it's highly recommended that you do.

Bottom line, it's one of the best pets you can find for your daughter.

bogie
02-08-2007, 12:30 PM
You better hope it starts spraying your house or peeing on the table or doing something particularly obnoxious. Otherwise, you're going to be stuck with a cat after nursing it back to health for two weeks. No way the women let you get rid of it after it's wormed it's slinky little feline way into their hearts.

Our dog doesn't really get along with the cat, so I'm pretty sure we'll be getting rid of it. But you're right, anything can happen in 2 weeks.

BIG_DADDY
02-08-2007, 12:31 PM

Here is the deal. A kitten is an excellent companion animal for a small child. They are, for the most part, low maintenance past the kitten stage until adulthood and if, socialized at an early age, will be a cuddly loving friend for your daughter.

You have to be very careful about the type of breed of cat you pick as certain cats have predisposition to being friendly than others. But, just like dogs, they have individual personalities and some will be very outgoing while others more timid.

I haven't read the entire thread to know what the objection is to her having a kitten but a cat is one of those pets whose upfront expenses ie: spay/neuter, declaw (don't like it but accept that it's necessary for good homes) and initial vaccines are going to be the hardest hit. After that they need food, litter, and a few toys. If they are indoor cats then you don't even need to vaccinate them but it's highly recommended that you do.

Does it come as a surprise to anyone that Denise is a cat person? Not the vet thing again, please.

BIG_DADDY
02-08-2007, 12:32 PM
Our dog doesn't really get along with the cat, so I'm pretty sure we'll be getting rid of it. But you're right, anything can happen in 2 weeks.

Like it could mysteriously disappear or something.

memyselfI
02-08-2007, 12:36 PM

It took my two cats a year to get along and I'm still trying to get my ADHD 2 and 1/2 year old Border Collie mix dog to not want to stampede my 2 year old Siamese. He's just too hyper and she's very timid. Not a good match.

Your animals might not ever get along but that doesn't meant they can't live together. See people. Our dog lives downstairs and our cat lives upstairs. Our older cat roams the whole house he's too old to be confined or change his ways.

bogie
02-08-2007, 12:40 PM

We used to have a cat, but unfortunately a coyote got it. We also have a dog. My wife and I are really not interested in taking the responsibility of having another animal. I know my daughter would love the cat and our dog would learn to accept it. However, we (my wife and I) have made the decision that we're not interested in having a cat again.

bogie
02-08-2007, 12:40 PM
Like it could mysteriously disappear or something.

:) :)

memyselfI
02-08-2007, 12:42 PM
We used to have a cat, but unfortunately a coyote got it. We also have a dog. My wife and I are really not interested in taking the responsibility of having another animal. I know my daughter would love the cat and our dog would learn to accept it. However, we (my wife and I) have made the decision that we're not interested in having a cat again.

Talk to me in two weeks...

I'm a firm believer in the adage that you don't find your pets rather they find YOU.

Good luck.

bogie
02-08-2007, 12:43 PM
Talk to me in two weeks...

I'm a firm believer in the adage that you don't find your pets rather they find YOU.

Good luck.

You may be right.

Frazod
02-08-2007, 12:47 PM
I used to think that too until I was actually confronted with the situation. I folded like a $1.00 bill.

Yeah, it's easier said than done, I'm sure.

Frazod
02-08-2007, 12:48 PM

That's lovely, Phil. I'm sure I don't give a shit.

BIG_DADDY
02-08-2007, 12:48 PM
:) :)

The cat ferry came.