PDA

View Full Version : Rush Limbaugh: "They're dumping on Rex Grossman because he's white."

Taco John
02-07-2007, 10:36 PM
Limbaugh returns to football analysis: "[T]hey're dumping on" Grossman "because he is a white quarterback"

Listen to the MP3 (http://mediamatters.org/static/audio/limbaugh-20070205-football.mp3)

On the February 5 broadcast of his nationally syndicated radio show, Rush Limbaugh, responding to media coverage of Chicago Bears quarterback Rex Grossman, stated "they're dumping on this guy -- Rex Grossman -- for one reason, folks, and that's because he is a white quarterback." Limbaugh later insisted in conversation with a caller that, "they just want this guy not to do well 'cause he's a white quarterback," and that Grossman was "targeted for destruction." The Bears lost to the Indianapolis Colts 29-17 in Super Bowl XLI.

Limbaugh was forced to resign from his position as a football analyst for ESPN in 2003 after he claimed that Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb was overrated because "[t]he media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well." The following season, McNabb led his team to the Super Bowl.

Several weblogs took note of Limbaugh's comments, including American Princess, Night Bird's Fountain, and Skull/Bones.

From the February 5 broadcast of Premiere Radio Networks' The Rush Limbaugh Show:

LIMBAUGH: And before we go to the break here, folks, I've got to get something off my chest. You know, the game was the game. And the game was what it was. But I - I can't handle anymore press criticism of Rex Grossman. They're writing his name W-R-E-C-K-S. They're just -- worst quarterback ever to play in the Super Bowl. And it's been like this since the Green Bay game -- actually since the Arizona game, a little crescendo of it in the Green Bay game, the last game of the season for the Bears. And it's just unrelenting! It's just -- they're focusing on this guy like they don't focus on anybody! And I tell you, I know what it is. The media, the sports media, has got social concerns that they are first and foremost interested in, and they're dumping on this guy -- Rex Grossman -- for one reason, folks, and that's because he is a white quarterback.

[...]

CALLER: But, I also wanted to say that I appreciated the fact that you were having some compassion for Grossman. I sat there last night watching the game and I felt sorry for him. He is a Hoosier, by the way. His grandfather played for the Baltimore Colts.

LIMBAUGH: Yeah.

CALLER: And I -- you know, he's a young guy. You know, it's a team effort.

LIMBAUGH: It's, yeah, they're just all over this guy. They can't wait for this guy to fail. They are hoping he fails.

CALLER: Yes, they're terrible.

LIMBAUGH: They're talking about before the game, they're talking about him as the worst quarterback ever to play in the Super Bowl and they're asking [Bears head coach] Lovie Smith all during the week, "When are you going to bench the guy, Lovie? At what point in the game?" And that's the only time Lovie Smith apparently lost his cool a little bit during the week with, with media sessions. You know what this is: The media - you, you know the social things. I don't need to go into this.

CALLER: Well --

LIMBAUGH: They, they just want this guy not to do well 'cause he's a white quarterback.

CALLER: Even during the game last night. Before, before they went on the air they were all saying who they were going to pick and why and everything and when the, you know, the - they made their first runback with the score - then they started turning the tables on everything. It's like, "Now, wait a minute. I heard what you said before the game started." You know? Now they're changing tunes because --

LIMBAUGH: Well, because they're -- no -- they were all acting surprised. Everybody was acting, "Whoa. Grossman can actually complete a pass. Why nobody thought this would happen. Let's stop everything and give him the MVP now. He actually completed a pass." But he came through for them in the end. All those fumbles. The wounded-duck interceptions. He gave them the copy they wanted to write today all last week.

CALLER: Well --

LIMBAUGH: They were hoping to write that Grossman was an embarrassment and that Lovie Smith needs to seriously bring in somebody to compete with him next training camp. I can, look it, I feel for the guy. He's, apparently, bores, bears up under it rather well or has borne up under it rather well or so his teammates say and so forth. But the guy's been targeted for destruction.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200702070012

Thig Lyfe
02-07-2007, 10:38 PM
Peyton Manning is celebrating with his homies and bitches in Compton right now.

Frazod
02-07-2007, 10:40 PM
Too bad he's not black. He might then be gifted with enough athletic prowess to perform a five step drop without falling over.

ChiefaRoo
02-07-2007, 10:45 PM
Yawn

Guru
02-07-2007, 10:46 PM
Let's see what Jimmy "The Greek" has to say about this.

ChiefaRoo
02-07-2007, 10:48 PM
blahblahblah white guy blah blahblah black guy blahblah, bsbsbsbsbsbsbsb. WHO CARES?!!

Phobia
02-07-2007, 10:51 PM
Rush was right.

Pitt Gorilla
02-07-2007, 10:51 PM
There is no way Limbaugh is this stupid. I understand saying things to get attention, but this is just silly.

HolmeZz
02-07-2007, 10:52 PM
Rex Grossman is to football what Rush Limbaugh is to football analysis.

FAX
02-07-2007, 10:54 PM
Schmelter skelter.

FAX

noa
02-07-2007, 10:59 PM
Rush is talking out of his ass and just showing us what we already knew -- he knows absolutely nothing about football.

SNR
02-07-2007, 10:59 PM
There will be no justice in this league until there are two white QBs in the same Super Bowl

SNR
02-07-2007, 11:00 PM
Rush was right.I didn't know Geddy Lee was a football analyst. Where's Halfcan?

Phobia
02-07-2007, 11:00 PM
There is no way Limbaugh is this stupid. I understand saying things to get attention, but this is just silly.

Is it any more ridiculous than Sharpton or Jackson flying all over the country decrying the racism anytime a black person is wronged? Sure, Rush is retarded but Sharpton has him trumped in spades.... errr.

FAX
02-07-2007, 11:01 PM
You can fight fire with fire, but you can't fight discrimination with discrimination.

Or, ignorance with ignorance.

FAX

Taco John
02-07-2007, 11:01 PM
Is it any more ridiculous than Sharpton or Jackson flying all over the country decrying the racism anytime a black person is wronged? Sure, Rush is retarded but Sharpton has him trumped in spades.... errr.

Let me know when ESPN hires Sharpton or Jackson as a football analyst...

noa
02-07-2007, 11:07 PM

Why does it have to be more ridiculous? Are we only supposed to care when Rush does the most ridiculous thing ever done? The point isn't that other people play the race card when its inappropriate. Of course that's true. The point is that Rush knows nothing about football and yet keeps asserting positions based on race that are far from the truth. Mcnabb sucks and only has a chance cause he's black and people who criticize Grossman do so because he's white. He's injecting race into sports analysis where its completely irrelevant.

Phobia
02-07-2007, 11:10 PM
Let me know when ESPN hires Sharpton or Jackson as a football analyst...
Are you suggesting ESPN is stupid? No argument from me.

Phobia
02-07-2007, 11:12 PM
Why does it have to be more ridiculous? Are we only supposed to care when Rush does the most ridiculous thing ever done? The point isn't that other people play the race card when its inappropriate. The point is that Rush knows nothing about football and yet keeps asserting positions based on race that are far from the truth. Mcnabb sucks and only has a chance cause he's black and people who criticize Grossman do so because he's white. He's injecting race into sports analysis where its completely irrelevant.

Rush knows very little about a great many subjects yet people keep tuning the dial to him. I mean, the dude had a line of designer ties named after him.... What are people in this country thinking?

Manila-Chief
02-07-2007, 11:23 PM
Peyton Manning is celebrating with his homies and bitches in Compton right now.

I had similar thoughts ... doesn't Rush know that Manning is ... as he calls Rex ... White? He seemed to have the support of the media?????

Maybe Rush had a little bit of a leg to stand on when he made the charge about McNabb ... I mean at the time McNabb's play was not outstanding. Buttttttttttt, even a non-football fan could see that Rex didn't play well Sunday evening. It wasn't sports writers who made poor decisions, fumbled snaps, fell down at a critical point of the game, threw the ball right into DB's hands, etc.

It had nothing to do with the color of his skin ... I can just hear SEC fans going ... it was mental mistakes more than anything ... oh, he attended Fla. ... no wonder he is not too bright ... but, since I'm a nice person I'll not make that quip!!!!!

Thig Lyfe
02-07-2007, 11:28 PM
My guess that this is Rush being satirical.

I hope.

Phobia
02-07-2007, 11:28 PM
My guess that this is Rush being satirical.

I hope.

I'm certain of it. It's still stupid.

T-post Tom
02-08-2007, 12:19 AM
That's not Rush talking, it's the Vicadin.

ChiefFan31
02-08-2007, 01:17 AM
On the February 5 broadcast of his nationally syndicated radio show, Rush Limbaugh, responding to media coverage of Chicago Bears quarterback Rex Grossman, stated "they're dumping on this guy -- Rex Grossman -- for one reason, folks, and that's because he is a white quarterback." Limbaugh later insisted in conversation with a caller that, "they just want this guy not to do well 'cause he's a white quarterback," and that Grossman was "targeted for destruction."

Wow, talk about ignorance. WTF is he talking about? He should not comment about football on his show ever again.

pr_capone
02-08-2007, 01:18 AM
Too bad he's not black. He might then be gifted with enough athletic prowess to perform a five step drop without falling over.

He could at least change his last name to Blackman... that alone should give him the edge he needs to win league MVP.

Let me know when ESPN hires Sharpe or Irving as a football analyst...

FYP

headsnap
02-08-2007, 05:13 AM
You can fight fire with fire, but you can't fight discrimination with discrimination.

Or, ignorance with ignorance.

FAX
demonstrating absurdity with absurdity... ;)

that is Rush's sthick, his whole show/career has been built around that!

it's amazing how many people don't get this, or don't want to!!!

mikey23545
02-08-2007, 05:31 AM
It doesn't seem possible that <i>this</i> many people can have Rush's jokes go over their head, but there you have it....

chagrin
02-08-2007, 06:04 AM
Schmelter skelter.

FAX

"Consequences smonsequences, as long as I'm rich."

sorry, I had to

chagrin
02-08-2007, 06:06 AM

I bought that book when it came out originally, and that was my favorite chapter, excellent.

Rausch
02-08-2007, 06:18 AM
It doesn't seem possible that <i>this</i> many people can have Rush's jokes go over their head, but there you have it....

I don't get the joke myself. I mean, I don't see how he was telling one...

Braincase
02-08-2007, 06:24 AM
Nobody is waiting for Michael Vick to fail.... nobody...

jidar
02-08-2007, 06:35 AM
Limbaugh is a ****ing moron.

There are tons of QBs in this league who are white and do well and the media fawns over them. Peyton Manning? Roethlisburger?

People have been waiting on Rex to fail because he keeps doing it. It's been the big story all year in Chicago, 100+ passer rating one week and less than 30 the next. If Grossman had gone the whole season with good to mediocre play every week then it wouldn't be a story, but he had some truly incredible bad games in there and he kept doing it.

This is just ****ing ridiculous.

jidar
02-08-2007, 06:40 AM
Rush knows very little about a great many subjects yet people keep tuning the dial to him. I mean, the dude had a line of designer ties named after him.... What are people in this country thinking?

His addiction to prescription drugs must resonate with his audience.

VAChief
02-08-2007, 06:48 AM
Rush intentionally or unintentionally gives credibility to Sharpton and the like...and vice versa...their tired acts wouldn't get much play without extremes on the other side to emphasize as the prevailing belief systems...

banyon
02-08-2007, 08:02 AM
Compared to Manning, Grossman is actually Black.

Radar Chief
02-08-2007, 08:11 AM

Exactly. :thumb:
Rush is funny, one of the better comedians on AM radio. ;)

boogblaster
02-08-2007, 08:13 AM
Rush needs more meds..hell everyone knows Grossman is Spanish....

mikey23545
02-08-2007, 08:33 AM
Limbaugh is a ****ing moron.

There are tons of QBs in this league who are white and do well and the media fawns over them. Peyton Manning? Roethlisburger?

People have been waiting on Rex to fail because he keeps doing it. It's been the big story all year in Chicago, 100+ passer rating one week and less than 30 the next. If Grossman had gone the whole season with good to mediocre play every week then it wouldn't be a story, but he had some truly incredible bad games in there and he kept doing it.

This is just ****ing ridiculous.

He's being facetious.

You might want to look the word up.

Baby Lee
02-08-2007, 08:37 AM
Anyone have anything definitive on whether or not Grossman is jewish?
Everything I see is unsourced speculation.

chagrin
02-08-2007, 09:39 AM
What are people in this country thinking?

Same thing that fans of rap, ultra baggy pants, nose rings, Friends tv show, Al Gore, dreds, etc think - "hey, this is cool"

crazycoffey
02-08-2007, 10:41 AM
rush can be an idiot

morphius
02-08-2007, 10:53 AM
That entire thing has TIC written all over it, it is so obviously sarcastic that he has to be rolling at all the people that actually believe it.

jidar
02-08-2007, 10:54 AM
He's being facetious.

You might want to look the word up.

You might want to look up your mothers asshole and see what color my loads are.

morphius
02-08-2007, 11:00 AM
Sounds like someone is just bitter that they are the BUTT end of the joke...

jidar
02-08-2007, 11:02 AM
Sounds like someone is just bitter that they are the BUTT end of the joke...

oh god, the punishment

RJ
02-08-2007, 11:03 AM

Yeah, maybe him and John Kerry should do a stand-up act together. Damn fine comics, those two.

Seriously, sometimes I find Rush funny, even when he's pissing me off. But this isn't funny, it's just dumb. Two things Rush knows very little about.......football and Parkinsons.

mikey23545
02-08-2007, 11:22 AM

Well, she passed away 10 years ago, so I guess you have some really strange sexual proclivities....

crazycoffey
02-08-2007, 11:26 AM

I gotta say I didn't hear it but if he said what he was quoted as saying, then I immediatley understood his attempt at satire. Makes me think of a funny saying I've said a few times before.... thousands of comedians out of a job, and he's trying to be funny.

Fax said it best, terrible tactic to fight ingnorance with more ignorance.

JMHO, I don't like hearing the extreme views from either side of the fence, when it comes to our national politics, I am more of a fence straddler and I'm OK with that.

El Jefe
02-08-2007, 11:54 AM
I dont agree with Rush because I think the reason they are on Rex is because he sucks. But far be it for a white person to say they got the wrong end of the stick for once. Yet you have Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton using the never ending race card, if you think what Rush said is wrong or bad listen to those two fellas and you will laugh your heads off IMO.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-08-2007, 12:08 PM
There is no way Limbaugh is this stupid.
Are you sure about that?

Phobia
02-08-2007, 12:22 PM
Makes me think of a funny saying I've said a few times before.... thousands of comedians out of a job, and he's trying to be funny.
Actually, that's not funny at all. You should stop saying it immediately.

Brock
02-08-2007, 12:23 PM
You'd have to be very dumb to take this seriously.

mikey23545
02-08-2007, 12:27 PM
You'd have to be very dumb to take this seriously.

An excellent explanation of why it was Taco that started the thread....

Brock
02-08-2007, 12:28 PM

I think it's just more of his "fake outrage".

memyselfI
02-08-2007, 12:30 PM
I heard him say this live... ROFL ROFL ROFL

He has completely gone off the deep end.

chagrin
02-08-2007, 12:34 PM

hilarious, coming from the conspiracy theorist herself.

mikey23545
02-08-2007, 12:36 PM

Now here's one that <i>isn't</i> faking....

Deberg_1990
02-08-2007, 12:36 PM
WTF???? IM convinced Rush knows nothing about football. Did he even watch the game?????? Or watch any games Grossman played this year???

L.A. Chieffan
02-08-2007, 12:37 PM
Rush is underrated cuz he's white.

mikey23545
02-08-2007, 12:40 PM
WTF???? IM convinced Rush knows nothing about football. Did he even watch the game?????? Or watch any games Grossman played this year???

And another.

memyselfI
02-08-2007, 12:40 PM
Now here's one that <i>isn't</i> faking....

If this was an isolated incident then we could blow it off as being a fluke. But in the past year he did the MJ Fox thing and I'm sure something else equally outrageous that I can't think of at the moment.

I think he and Bill O'Reilly are beyond help.

crazycoffey
02-08-2007, 12:44 PM
Actually, that's not funny at all. You should stop saying it immediately.

maybe it's funnier when I actually say it, and not type it.....

but in this world I will never say it again.

FOR NOW I AM WITH THE KNIGHTS THAT SAY "NEE!"

chagrin
02-08-2007, 12:47 PM
I think he and Bill O'Reilly are beyond help.

says...

http://www.inminds.co.uk/quds2002-pakistan3.jpg

mikey23545
02-08-2007, 12:52 PM
It's hilarious that Rush's humor goes over Mememe's head.... ROFL

Baby Lee
02-08-2007, 12:55 PM
I heard he convinced his neighbor to watch Olbermann.

Mile High Mania
02-08-2007, 02:35 PM
Rush is just wanting some love... nobody talks about him anymore.

buddha
02-08-2007, 02:48 PM
I think it's clear that Rex lacks the "necessities" to be a good QB.

BTW, is Rush still on the air? Who knew?

memyselfI
02-08-2007, 03:51 PM
It's hilarious that Rush's humor goes over Mememe's head.... ROFL

Oh, he wasn't joking. He was serious. You can't just listen to a clip and not have heard his tone and the discussion that day.

greg63
02-08-2007, 07:05 PM
So the criticism of Grossman is because he's white? Call me naive and shallow, but I just ain't seein it. :shrug:

JohnnyV13
02-08-2007, 07:13 PM
This is utterly embarrassing. I mean how pathetic is it that Rush gets canned for his comments about McNabb about 3 years ago, and he's still trying to prove he's right.

What is even more pathetic is he has an audience that will buy this bs. Limbaugh is a marketing genius and can be funny within his sphere, but he's also let fame go to his head.

headsnap
02-08-2007, 07:20 PM
TIC

and Rush is playing you like to tools you are... :shake:

kstater
02-08-2007, 07:36 PM
I think it's clear that Rex lacks the "necessities" to be a good QB.

BTW, is Rush still on the air? Who knew?

Don't have the stats to back it up, but I think Rush is one of the most listened to Radio Hosts in America.

morphius
02-08-2007, 07:46 PM
Oh, he wasn't joking. He was serious. You can't just listen to a clip and not have heard his tone and the discussion that day.
LOL! Wow, just wow. He is bitter about being fired for what he said, so of course he sounded serious.

Easy 6
02-08-2007, 07:50 PM
Is this thing on???

KCChiefsFan88
02-09-2007, 11:19 AM
Rush Limbaugh and Dumbya... the posterboys for Republicans in America today

Dave Lane
02-09-2007, 11:21 AM
Ummm no, its because he sucks worse than any QB of this generation. (at least in a super bowl)

Dave

mikey23545
02-09-2007, 11:51 AM
Rush Limbaugh and Dumbya... the posterboys for Republicans in America today

So far, the liberals on this board are confirming everything I always suspected.