PDA

View Full Version : Tapping the CP Brain Trust: Business Phone Question

|Zach|
02-08-2007, 03:26 AM
I have this little venture coming up and getting some business cards together is a must. It is just tough because I will surely be moving in a few months to a new area code and will need to change numbers. I know there are 1800 numbers you can get that forwards the calls to a number you designate...so you could change it as time goes on but show people just one number.

Is there anyway to have a service like this but know when one of the "forwarded" numbers is calling to me as opposed to Joe Schmo next door giving me a ring?

Ideas? Knowledge?

SPchief
02-08-2007, 03:28 AM
Don't move.

or use your cell number.

|Zach|
02-08-2007, 03:29 AM
Don't move.

or use your cell number.
I am moving, this isn't going to change.

I am using my cell...but if I am getting settled in KC I don't want to drag along my Springfield area code.

Thats part of it...if it is a business call I would like to know that and answer accordingly.

SPchief
02-08-2007, 03:32 AM
I am moving, this isn't going to change.

I am using my cell...but if I am getting settled in KC I don't want to drag along my Springfield area code.

Thats part of it...if it is a business call I would like to know that and answer accordingly.

Sorry, thought you were moving intown.

|Zach|
02-08-2007, 03:32 AM
Sorry, thought you were moving intown.
Ah, should have made that clear. Thanks.

chagrin
02-08-2007, 07:12 AM
They are called remote call forward numbers, and are pretty cheap. Trying to figure out if I am understanding your post clearly, if I am then what you need are these RCF numbers - they aren't lines just technically "features".

C-Mac
02-08-2007, 08:01 AM
Yes Chagrin is correct. Another option is if you get Vonage, that number ( 800 or not) can follow you also.

Simplex3
02-08-2007, 08:24 AM
Bad plan with getting the number to follow you. Lots of people know their local office codes and will assume you aren't local.

Just print up some of your own cards on Avery stock until you get moved.

http://www.avery.com/us/Main?action=product.HierarchyList&node=10211397&catalogcode=WEB01

I've done that for years because I pass out so few cards in most of my ventures.

Keep a running list of people you've handed them out to and do a mass mailing after you move.

|Zach|
02-08-2007, 05:16 PM
Moving aside...if I used my cell phone for personal and business is there a way I could use a redirect number and know that its that line they are calling?

SLAG
02-08-2007, 05:23 PM
Moving aside...if I used my cell phone for personal and business is there a way I could use a redirect number and know that its that line they are calling?

it depends on your carrier

I know nextel would allow you to have 2 seperate lines on one phone... then when you got the call on "line 2" then you would know it was a busniess call.. if you are not interested in 2 lines then mabye whenever the calls are getting forwareded the CID info isnt fwd and you will always get the call from the same # if i make any sense

|Zach|
02-08-2007, 05:26 PM
it depends on your carrier

I know nextel would allow you to have 2 seperate lines on one phone... then when you got the call on "line 2" then you would know it was a busniess call.. if you are not interested in 2 lines then mabye whenever the calls are getting forwareded the CID info isnt fwd and you will always get the call from the same # if i make any sense
I have Sprint...maybe I should give them a ring and see if they have anything to offer me.

CoMoChief
02-08-2007, 05:38 PM
I have Sprint...maybe I should give them a ring and see if they have anything to offer me.

I suggest you grow a pair, and stop being such a weiner.

|Zach|
02-08-2007, 05:41 PM
I suggest you grow a pair, and stop being such a weiner.
You son of a bitch.

trndobrd
02-08-2007, 06:29 PM
Your current carrier may be willing to forward your number to you new phone number for a small one time fee. Something you will probably want to do anyway.

Perhaps you can get your KC phone number now, before you print your cards.

Simply Red
02-08-2007, 06:35 PM
They are called remote call forward numbers, and are pretty cheap. Trying to figure out if I am understanding your post clearly, if I am then what you need are these RCF numbers - they aren't lines just technically "features".

yep. What Chagrin said...

Dave Lane
02-08-2007, 06:47 PM
Ah, should have made that clear. Thanks.

Actually many of the IP based phones can have multiple area codes per line.

Dave