PDA

View Full Version : First Snickers, Now GM!

recxjake
02-08-2007, 01:30 PM
GM's Super Bowl Robot Ad Draws Criticism
Thursday February 8, 2:53 pm ET
By David Runk, Associated Press Writer

GM's Super Bowl Ad Featuring Despondent Robot Draws Criticism

DETROIT (AP) -- A Super Bowl ad showing a quality-obsessed General Motors Corp. robot jumping off a bridge in a dream sequence after screwing up on the job is drawing criticism from a suicide prevention group.
But the world's largest automaker is defending the ad and says it has no plans to change the spot, which is making the rounds online and is featured on GM's Web site after making its broadcast debut during Sunday's big game.

The ad, called "Robot," opens with the machine in question dropping a screw while working on a GM assembly line. It's kicked out of the plant and finds work waving a "Condos for Sale" sign and holding up a speaker at a fast-food joint, all the while appearing saddened by watching shiny, new GM vehicles drive by.

As the Eric Carmen song "All By Myself" plays in the background, the despondent robot leaps off a bridge into the water below, only to wake up inside the darkened factory -- waking up from its dream.

The New York-based American Foundation for Suicide Prevention says it started getting complaints the day after the ad aired and as of Thursday had fielded more than 250 e-mails or calls. It wants GM to pull the ad from its Web site, try to get it off video-sharing Web sites such as YouTube and apologize.

"It was inappropriate to use depression and suicide as a way to sell cars," said Robert Gebbia, the foundation's executive director.

The ad is the latest from the Super Bowl to come under fire. Earlier this week, a commercial for Snickers candy bars was benched after complaints that it was homophobic. And aspiring rapper Kevin Federline apologized after a restaurant trade group said it was insulted by an ad that stared him as a fast-food worker.

GM says the robot ad was designed to show the company's obsession with quality, highlighting its enhanced powertrain warranty of five years or 100,000 miles on all new light-duty vehicles starting with 2007 models. Part of the ad was filmed at GM's Lansing Grand River assembly plant, which builds Cadillacs.

"It conveys how GM employees, together with our unions, are building the best cars, trucks, SUVs and crossovers in our history. ... It is not intended to offend anyone," GM said in a statement.

The ad only aired once, but the online buzz has continued. The company didn't have details on how many times the ad had been watched on its Web site, but on YouTube alone it has drawn more than 350,000 views. And GM says it knows that all won't agree with its ad.

"Advertising during the Super Bowl brings instant critiques, both positive and negative," GM said.

But Lisamarie Miller, 39, of Palatine, Ill., said she'll never buy a GM vehicle after seeing the ad online. The member of a the Chicago-area chapter of AFSP found out about it from the foundation -- and has been sharing her disgust online as well as with friends, family and co-workers.

"I was completely outraged," said Miller, whose 21-year-old brother battled depression before killing himself in 1993. "GM is not being a responsible citizen by airing something that so closely imitates life."

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B3NGN4t4hm4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B3NGN4t4hm4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

ROYC75
02-08-2007, 01:32 PM
Dumbass should have never dropped the bolt, he got screwed instead of screwing the car.

L.A. Chieffan
02-08-2007, 01:34 PM
I think robots should be offended. Where was the consideration for them?

Hydrae
02-08-2007, 01:35 PM
Get a life and learn to deal with your own self. Stop blaming any and everything else for your issues! :banghead:

And BD wonders why he has nowhere to ride his bikes any more.

noa
02-08-2007, 01:35 PM
I bet T.O. was offended

Hydrae
02-08-2007, 01:36 PM
Oh, and I love how they make 350,000 views seem like a lot. That is what, .1% of the population of this country alone? Sorry, that isn't even a drop in the bucket.

Pitt Gorilla
02-08-2007, 01:38 PM
The ad stunk; that should be reason enough to can it.

StcChief
02-08-2007, 01:41 PM
"It conveys how GM employees, together with our unions, are building the best cars, trucks, SUVs and crossovers in our history. ... It is not intended to offend anyone," GM said in a statement.

Right...just keep telling yourself that as your bought out and let go.

recxjake
02-08-2007, 01:43 PM
The ad stunk; that should be reason enough to can it.

Actually it did better then most.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/advertising/admeter/2007-02-04-ad-meter-chart_x.htm

ChiefFan31
02-08-2007, 01:44 PM
I think robots should be offended. Where was the consideration for them?

Exactly, what where we thinking. We are cold hearted Racists. What did the robots ever do to have this horribly offensive commercial?

Cochise
02-08-2007, 01:46 PM
It was one of the better ads, although that isn't saying much.

recxjake
02-08-2007, 01:48 PM
Political correctness is strangling this country. The ad is great and I think GM should stick to their guns. These people have got to find better things to worry about...like actually helping people with depression.

htismaqe
02-08-2007, 01:49 PM
But Lisamarie Miller, 39, of Palatine, Ill., said she'll never buy a GM vehicle after seeing the ad online. The member of a the Chicago-area chapter of AFSP found out about it from the foundation -- and has been sharing her disgust online as well as with friends, family and co-workers.

See how that works?

recxjake
02-08-2007, 01:50 PM

See how that works?

That's just nuts....

1. It's a fake robot
2. The robot is dreaming
3. It's a robot!

Baconeater
02-08-2007, 01:52 PM
Good lord what's next. I'm convinced people just look for things to be offended by these days.

Baconeater
02-08-2007, 01:53 PM
Oh, and GM sucks.

noa
02-08-2007, 01:55 PM
Good lord what's next. I'm convinced people just look for things to be offended by these days.

You didn't capitalize Lord! How dare you!?

ck_IN
02-08-2007, 02:47 PM
<i>"I was completely outraged," said Miller, whose 21-year-old brother battled depression before killing himself in 1993. "GM is not being a responsible citizen by airing something that so closely imitates life."</i>

Good grief, biatch just STFU AND STFD. I'm sorry for your brother but jeez get a grip!

CoMoChief
02-08-2007, 02:48 PM
I'm offended that we have commercials.

HA SO THERE!!!

stevieray
02-08-2007, 02:48 PM
sources say the gieco caveman loved it.

OnTheWarpath58
02-08-2007, 02:52 PM
I bet those 30,000 GM workers who were laid off back in Nov 2005 were cheering like crazy when that robot was "fired."

I'm calling my shot:

Next commericial to get attention for "offending" someone.....

The Sprint "Connectile Dysfunction" ad.....

Lzen
02-08-2007, 02:54 PM
GM says the robot ad was designed to show the company's obsession with quality

ROFL

Dartgod
02-08-2007, 03:00 PM
I say we bring back the Snickers ad and run it back-to-back with the GM ad.

Then maybe some PC nutjob from the gay rights group will see both commercials, become outraged, then depressed and finally will jump off a bridge.

NJ Chief Fan
02-08-2007, 05:55 PM
GM sucks.

HMc
02-08-2007, 06:05 PM
OMG I'VE JUST REALISED THE E-BRAKE ON MY VOLKSWAGEN LOOKS LIKE A PENIS

Lzen
02-08-2007, 08:19 PM
OMG I'VE JUST REALISED THE E-BRAKE ON MY VOLKSWAGEN LOOKS LIKE A PENIS

You've been jerking off your Beatle for years and didn't even know it.

Thig Lyfe
02-08-2007, 08:21 PM
Damn. That's truly retarded.

Oops...

recxjake
02-09-2007, 07:36 PM
Well, GM gives in....

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070209/super...m_ad.html?.v=1

General Motors to Edit Robot Ad That Drew Criticism From Suicide Prevention Group

DETROIT (AP) -- General Motors Corp. said Friday it has agreed to edit a Super Bowl commercial that drew criticism from a suicide prevention group for showing a quality-obsessed robot jumping off a bridge in a dream sequence after messing up on the job.

The world's largest automaker previously said it had no plans to change the spot, which is making the rounds online and is featured on the company's Web site. The ad made its broadcast debut during Sunday's NFL championship telecast.
But GM spokesman John M. McDonald said the company agreed to change the ad after discussing concerns about it with the New York-based American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.
The ad is expected to air again after the changes are made, but a date hasn't been set, McDonald said. He declined to describe what would be changed.
Robert Gebbia, the foundation's executive director, said any reference to suicide was expected to be removed. He said the agreement came after the foundation spoke with GM executives Friday morning about its concerns. "GM is being very responsive," Gebbia said.

mikey23545
02-09-2007, 10:25 PM
"I was completely outraged," said Miller, whose 21-year-old brother battled depression before killing himself in 1993. "GM is not being a responsible citizen by airing something that so closely imitates life."

I wonder if he's so upset he's contemplating suicide?

Frazod
02-09-2007, 10:37 PM

I think he may have been depressed and killed himself because his sister's a stupid twat. But I could be wrong.

Guru
02-09-2007, 10:53 PM
I find your outlook very offensive and think you should apologize.

Or I'll sue!!!!

Frazod
02-09-2007, 11:11 PM
I have another theory about this - if you're unstable enough that seeing a commercial about a robot (not alive) having a dream (impossible) about a suicide (things that aren't alive can't die) causes you to want to off yourself, then seriously, we're better off without you. Don't bother with the note; just grab the razor and start slitting.

Gooooooooooooooooooooooo DARWIN! :thumb:

crazycoffey
02-10-2007, 03:14 AM
I was more offended by the superbowl