PDA

View Full Version : Arrowhead Naming Rights

Woodrow Call
02-08-2007, 11:52 PM
Sorry if repost...

http://www.thekansascitychannel.com/news/10967423/detail.html

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- KMBC has learned that the Chiefs are starting to shop around the naming rights for Arrowhead Stadium.

In the new lease deal, the Chiefs and the Royals gained control over their stadium naming rights and would get to keep all funds from any sale.

KMBC's Micheal Mahoney reported that the Chiefs appear to be in the initial stages of checking to see whether any company is interested in buying the naming rights.

The Chiefs confirmed that they have retained a company to help them look for a potential buyer.

"I would guess that both (the Chiefs and the Royals) are entertaining the possibility of naming rights," said Jim Rowland, executive director of the Jackson County Sports Authority.

Mahoney reported that the name of an NFL stadium is probably worth several million dollars a year. For example, Sprint is paying $2.5 million a year for the new downtown arena for 25 years, and the arena doesn't have a team yet.

Rowland said the teams would take the issue of naming rights seriously.

"Both teams are certainly aware of the brand identity they've developed with Arrowhead Stadium and Kaffuman stadium. And I know the Royals are certainly sensitive and protective of the Kauffman name," Rowland said.

Mahoney reported that selling the naming rights is probably not the No. 1 priority for either team -- they're both preparing for the large-scale renovations voters approved last year.

FAX
02-08-2007, 11:53 PM
Hold on a sec. I thought Lamar said (on his death bed) to leave the Arrowhead name alone?

FAX

Joie
02-08-2007, 11:53 PM
Kinda makes me a little sick to think that Arrowhead could become Whatever Corporation Stadium.

Stinger
02-08-2007, 11:54 PM
Hold on a sec. I thought Lamar said (on his death bed) to leave the Arrowhead name alone?

FAX

This is just a guess but it will probably be something like "Sprint Field at Arrowhead". Just picked a name at random

Baconeater
02-08-2007, 11:55 PM
It was inevitable.

Bowser
02-08-2007, 11:55 PM
If this is true, Clark should have his ass kicked.

I don't need to see Hallmark Field at Arrowhead Stadium, or any other weak shit like that.

It's ARROWHEAD STADIUM. Keep it that way.

Phobia
02-08-2007, 11:58 PM
Just think, if Sprint laid off 10,000 employees they could totally justify the expense of buying the naming rights to Arrowhead. I can hardly wait.

Bowser
02-08-2007, 11:59 PM
Just think, if Sprint laid off 10,000 employees they could totally justify the expense of buying the naming rights to Arrowhead. I can hardly wait.

Haha. Like Sprint has 10,000 employees left.

Guru
02-08-2007, 11:59 PM
Damn, ain't that the truth.

pr_capone
02-09-2007, 12:00 AM
sent an email to clark.hunt@kcchiefs.com

doubt it goes through but it has not been rejected by the server yet so.....

"It was good of you to let your father's body turn cold before auctioning off the naming rights to Arrowhead Stadium.

I cant wait for Proctor & Gamble Stadium at Arrowhead or some equally stupid bull shit.

You should be ashamed of yourself."

Guru
02-09-2007, 12:02 AM

"It was good of you to let your father's body turn cold before auctioning off the naming rights to Arrowhead Stadium.

I cant wait for Proctor & Gamble Stadium at Arrowhead or some equally stupid bull shit.

Damn. That was scathing.

Halfcan
02-09-2007, 12:06 AM

FAX

Yep that is what I thought too.

morphius
02-09-2007, 12:07 AM
We should start a collection and name our company "Maybe Next Year" and then we could name it, "Maybe Next Year at Arrowhead".

Bowser
02-09-2007, 12:08 AM
We should start a collection and name our company "Maybe Next Year" and then we could name it, "Maybe Next Year at Arrowhead".

LMAO

No, that's not what I meant. I really meant...

:(

Halfcan
02-09-2007, 12:09 AM

I don't need to see Hallmark Field at Arrowhead Stadium, or any other weak shit like that.

Yep I agree! It would be a good way to have every Chiefs fan in the city, hate your business though.

Halfcan
02-09-2007, 12:11 AM

Wow, that is going to leave a mark.

Guru
02-09-2007, 12:12 AM
Wow, that is going to leave a mark.
Clark might turn him in to the NFL for the game torrents earlier this year just to make a point.

Cochise
02-09-2007, 12:14 AM
If it's Commerce Bank Field at Kauffman Stadium I don't see the big deal. The name tribute is still there. It will just amount to a lucrative deal for stadium signage.

3, 4, $5 million a year for the Royals would help buy us a player we could use...

Phobia
02-09-2007, 12:16 AM

I think Hallmark Field would be the perfect choice. I mean, $8 beers and $8 greeting cards go together like caviar and champagne.

pr_capone
02-09-2007, 12:28 AM
Clark might turn him in to the NFL for the game torrents earlier this year just to make a point.

Nice

Guru
02-09-2007, 12:30 AM
Nice
ROFL

FAX
02-09-2007, 12:30 AM
Yep that is what I thought too.

There was a thread somewhere on this subject. If memory serves, it was posted as an article in which Lamar's final wish for Arrowhead was cited.

I have no idea how to find it, but I distinctly remember the post and the article.

FAX

noa
02-09-2007, 12:32 AM
There was a thread somewhere on this subject. If memory serves, it was posted as an article in which Lamar's final wish for Arrowhead was cited.

I have no idea how to find it, but I distinctly remember the post and the article.

FAX

I believe this is it Mr. Fax. The link to the original article is dead unfortunately.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=154450&highlight=Arrowhead+Naming+Rights

Halfcan
02-09-2007, 12:42 AM
Summer's Eve field at Arrowhead.

BigRock
02-09-2007, 12:43 AM
I believe this is it Mr. Fax. The link to the original article is dead unfortunately.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=154450&highlight=Arrowhead+Naming+Rights
Despite the title of the thread, nothing posted there actually backs up the statement that Lamar said not to change the name. It looks like that quote from Jack Steadman was misinterpted.

Lamar talked about the naming rights himself back before the vote on the rolling roof. He said if a sponsor came along, he wanted to keep the Arrowhead name like they kept Mile High in Denver.

Lamar was well-aware that the naming rights would have to be sold one day, and that e-mail to Clark is pathetic. Like anyone on this board understands Lamar's wishes better than his own son does?

Joie
02-09-2007, 12:44 AM
Summer's Eve field at Arrowhead.
Tampax Field at Arrowhead :shake:

Halfcan
02-09-2007, 12:52 AM

I was going for Summers Eve since carl and clark are such D bags.

FAX
02-09-2007, 12:53 AM

Thanks for finding this, Mr. noa949. Really appreciate it. It looks like Lamar's statement wasn't as specific and forceful as I'd remembered. Probably projecting again.

Dang.

FAX

Joie
02-09-2007, 12:53 AM
I was going for Summers Eve since carl and clark are such D bags.
Makes sense. Massengil Field would also work. Or Vagisil.

Valiant
02-09-2007, 01:07 AM
Haha. Like Sprint has 10,000 employees left.

Its just the cycle there.. They end up giving out crazy raises to people and then have to fire them after a few years and start all over again..

Hell one of my friends just tests to see if the games play on the phones.. That is his job there, to test what games work.. And makes close to 60k doing it...

Halfcan
02-09-2007, 01:11 AM
Vagisil field that would be for the Donks so they can grease up their linemen with it-lol

Guru
02-09-2007, 01:37 AM
Well some here to believe we already have the uniforms for it.

Joie
02-09-2007, 01:39 AM
KY Jelly Field at Arrowhead Stadium for when your team needs to slide into the playoffs through the backdoor.

Halfcan
02-09-2007, 01:49 AM
KY Jelly Field at Arrowhead Stadium for when your team needs to slide into the playoffs through the backdoor.

Perfect-we have a winner.

Halfcan
02-09-2007, 01:50 AM
We better check with the Gay community first-don't want another snickers meltdown.

SBK
02-09-2007, 03:02 AM
Writing an email to a guy for something as "big" as looking for a stadium sponsor is total class.

Way to be!

ChiefFan31
02-09-2007, 03:42 AM

I like the idea, but using curse words will practically ensure that it wont reach Clark Hunt. Hell Bob Gretz probably screens them. Be more eloquent in telling him to **** off :D

That is really crappy if that was Lamar's wish. He is choosing $ over the dying wishes of his father who was also a great man. Why couldn't he be more cold in regards to the employment of one Carl Peterson.

jAZ
02-09-2007, 04:05 AM
If this is true, seems like there might be enough fan outrage to take up a collection and buy the rights to name the stadium and change it to: "F*ck Clark Hunt Field at Arrowhead Stadium".

Count Alex's Wins
02-09-2007, 04:07 AM
It's just a freaking name. If the extra money helps us grab another free agent, they can name it Depends Stadium for all I care.

jAZ
02-09-2007, 04:08 AM
I believe these guys owned the naming rights to the Anaheim Pond arena. I see that it's been renamed to Honda.

I've been pushing these guys as naming rights owners for a long time. Why not?

http://www.uwiv.org/images/sponsor_logos/Arrowhead-logo.jpg

jAZ
02-09-2007, 04:13 AM
Thanks for finding this, Mr. noa949. Really appreciate it. It looks like Lamar's statement wasn't as specific and forceful as I'd remembered. Probably projecting again.

Dang.

FAX
Here's the full article in Google's cache.

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:nhPpos84ISYJ:news.findlaw.com/ap/s/633/12-14-2006/fed3004bcef4e0f2.html+%22Jack,+I+want+you+to+make+sure+the+stadium+is+the+new+Arrowhead+and+that+peo ple+will+be+excited+about+it%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us

splatbass
02-09-2007, 05:43 AM
I believe these guys owned the naming rights to the Anaheim Pond arena. I see that it's been renamed to Honda.

I've been pushing these guys as naming rights owners for a long time. Why not?

http://www.uwiv.org/images/sponsor_logos/Arrowhead-logo.jpg

It is already "Arrowhead Stadium", why would they pay good money to keep the same name it already has?

Chan93lx50
02-09-2007, 06:04 AM

Wow what a way to be a dick!

Mile High Mania
02-09-2007, 06:22 AM
You know what... years after Denver sold the rights to Invesco, I can't say that it bothers me much. I still say "Mile High" and rarely ever utter the word Invesco. Most of my friends are the same way... the only time I notice it is from you guys or on the signage obviously, but it really doesn't register with me like I thought it would.

I had feelings similar to many of you when Denver did this... but in retrospect, it hasn't really changed much for me.

Granted, I don't live there and I don't have season tickets... so I don't see it as much. Maybe that has something to do with it, I dunno.

Naming rights are inevitable.

Bob Dole
02-09-2007, 07:28 AM
In keeping with the organization's pattern of top-notch success, whoever buys the naming rights will likely file for bankruptcy within 2 years of signing the deal and the Chiefs will only see a fraction of the money.

Dartgod
02-09-2007, 07:40 AM
I seem to remember that Lamar's request was not so much about corporate sponsorship as it was that he didn't want it renamed Lamar Hunt Stadium or something to that effect.

cookster50
02-09-2007, 08:13 AM
Invesco Field at Arrowhead has a nice ring to it.

Chiefs_Fan
02-09-2007, 08:20 AM
It needs to stay "Arrowhead Stadium", it's one of the last names to stay true to just the team.

The name can't be improved upon.

StcChief
02-09-2007, 08:32 AM
In keeping with the organization's pattern of top-notch success, whoever buys the naming rights will likely file for bankruptcy within 2 years of signing the deal and the Chiefs will only see a fraction of the money.

ala the Savvis Center in STL.... now the Scott Trade Center :rolleyes:

htismaqe
02-09-2007, 08:37 AM
ala the Savvis Center in STL.... now the Scott Trade Center :rolleyes:

Or the TWA...err, Edward Jones Dome...

boogblaster
02-09-2007, 08:46 AM
As long as it isn't some Middle-Eastern Company's name..they own about 1/3 of this country now....

Archie F. Swin
02-09-2007, 08:46 AM
Lets see how well the purchase of naming right shields the season ticket holder from another price increase

waiting...

Iowanian
02-09-2007, 08:50 AM
Kauffman rights should be bought by Macco.

"Uh Oh, Better Get macco" field.

What are the odds on NFL Security calling PR Capone, and the "you're classless and derranged" email from Bob Chitlins and Gretz?

Warrior5
02-09-2007, 09:26 AM
You know what... years after Denver sold the rights to Invesco, I can't say that it bothers me much. I still say "Pile High" and often utter the word "Incrisco". Most of my friends are the same way... the only time I notice it is from you guys or on the signage obviously, but it really doesn't register with me like I thought it would.

I had feelings similar to many of you when Denver did this... but in retrospect, it hasn't really changed much for me... :)

BigRedChief
02-09-2007, 09:32 AM

FAX
King Carl? Clark Hunt? Wonder who is pushing this?

FAX
02-09-2007, 09:35 AM
King Carl? Clark Hunt? Wonder who is pushing this?

No idea. But, I think I misread the article, Mr. BigRedChief. You "could" interpret the quote as requesting that the name be left alone, but it isn't as specific as I had recalled.

I wonder what Lamar's true feelings were on this subject. I suppose we'll never know.

FAX

BigRedChief
02-09-2007, 09:37 AM
Lets see how well the purchase of naming right shields the season ticket holder from another price increase

waiting...
ROFL But I will bet you anything that you would like to bet if they announce naming rights in the presser it will be said that this will keep PSL's from ever being placed on the season ticket holders.

But If I remember right wasn't that part of the deal. No future PSL's?

Hog Rider
02-09-2007, 09:43 AM
Arrowhead On, rub it where it hurts.

Chiefs_Fan
02-09-2007, 09:47 AM

ROFL I hate their comercials, but I love going to the games!

Cochise
02-09-2007, 10:47 AM

Haha. I saw this deal on TV that said - surprisingly enough - that HeadOn stuff is a bunch of garbage. What they claim as the active ingredient is in there to a degree of like 1 part per million and that it performed just like the placebo. Basically, it's chap stick.

Extra Point
02-09-2007, 11:16 AM
....and neither the city of KCMO nor Jackson County get a dime. Great job, public servants!

The amount of revenue from the naming rights sale probably won't be as much as the gap in the total salary cap.

This is sad.

Bearcat
02-09-2007, 11:22 AM
I think Hallmark Field would be the perfect choice. I mean, $8 beers and $8 greeting cards go together like caviar and champagne.

Hallmark wants to go away from the "middle-aged woman" view, so they could have a new Chiefs line of cards. New sound cards with Start Me Up, Black Betty, Heartbreaker, We Won't Get Fooled Again.

Someone mentioned Commerce.. there's also Cerner, Garmin, American Century Investments, Aquila, DST, H&R Block, Black & Veatch, Yellow-Roadway...

grandllama
02-09-2007, 11:51 AM

FAX

Yep, you see how long that lasted...

Actually longer than Mr. K's guaranteed contracts.

Redrum_69
02-09-2007, 11:54 AM
They should rename the stadium to

"Where dreams are lost and our GM sucks the Corporate c*ck" field at Arrowhead.

StcChief
02-09-2007, 11:59 AM
KISS.... Lamar Hunt Field at Arrowhead.

Sell the K name they need all the help they can get.

J Diddy
02-09-2007, 12:16 PM
It needs to stay "Arrowhead Stadium", it's one of the last names to stay true to just the team.

The name can't be improved upon.

more than likely it would be so and so field at arrowhead stadium

BigChiefFan
02-09-2007, 01:28 PM
The ticket prices already went up. I'd rather sell the naming rights, than to see all the faithful lose out on going to the games.

Deberg_1990
02-09-2007, 01:39 PM
How about "Wal-Mart field" for Kaufmann stadium.....

LOL

Baconeater
02-09-2007, 03:09 PM
The ticket prices already went up. I'd rather sell the naming rights, than to see all the faithful lose out on going to the games.
If you really think selling the naming rights is going to stabilize ticket prices you're dreaming...it's all about generating additional revenue.

FringeNC
02-09-2007, 03:22 PM
I actually could care less about the name of the field. It will always be known as Arrowhead stadium to Chiefs faithful anyway. I hope it was Clark's idea -- at least it means that he is willing to do things he dad wouldn't -- maybe firing everyone in the front office is next. Things need to be shaken up. Twenty years ago Carl may have been a fine GM (seriously) but not anymore.

Phobia
02-09-2007, 03:39 PM
If you really think selling the naming rights is going to stabilize ticket prices you're dreaming...it's all about generating additional revenue.

If they wanted to generate additional revenue, they should have played hardball with the NFLPA. I don't have a huge problem with players making a lot of money, but the 8 figure contracts are just ridiculous. It makes it really hard to be a fan of the sport these days.

Eventually I see myself ditching the whole pro-sport concept. Money has literally ruined the sport for me.

Baconeater
02-09-2007, 04:33 PM
If they wanted to generate additional revenue, they should have played hardball with the NFLPA. I don't have a huge problem with players making a lot of money, but the 8 figure contracts are just ridiculous. It makes it really hard to be a fan of the sport these days.

Eventually I see myself ditching the whole pro-sport concept. Money has literally ruined the sport for me.
I agree, there's definitely a problem when a rookie can be the highest-paid player in the league at his position. That's why I'm disturbed by the fact that the NFL is starting to tinker with controlling the broadcasts themselves, I forsee the fan who just wants to watch the games on TV being the next one getting squeezed.

But that's another whole conversation for another thread I suppose...

Coach
02-09-2007, 04:51 PM
So much for loyality and the love of the game. F**king idiots are now f**king filthy greedy, and they just can't seem to get enough of the f**king money, that they'll just decide to sell the naming rights.

F**k that shit.

Demonpenz
02-09-2007, 05:26 PM
applebees staduim at carl peterson field

Deberg_1990
02-09-2007, 06:00 PM
applebees staduim at carl peterson field

Wow.....thats almost a bannable offense right there! : )

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-09-2007, 06:14 PM
Kinda makes me a little sick to think that Arrowhead could become Whatever Corporation Stadium.
I vote for that one.

Actually I've been surprised for a long time that it hasn't become Sprint Stadium... but I hope it stays Arrowhead.

big nasty kcnut
02-09-2007, 06:50 PM
How about Arrowhead Stadium at sprint field i could like that.

Mojo Rising
02-10-2007, 02:17 AM
I actually could care less about the name of the field. It will always be known as Arrowhead stadium to Chiefs faithful anyway. I hope it was Clark's idea -- at least it means that he is willing to do things he dad wouldn't -- maybe firing everyone in the front office is next. Things need to be shaken up. Twenty years ago Carl may have been a fine GM (seriously) but not anymore.

I couldn't agree more. I would rather walk out of H&R Block stadium a winner than Arrowhead a loser. If Clark lines his pockets with the cash then I'll change my tune.

If it makes the Chiefs more competitive then I'm all for it. The NFL is inches away from putting NASCAR/Soccer advertising patches all over their unis as it is with so many commercials.

The rebuilt Arrowhead will not give the Chiefs the money to be a top 10 revenue generator. If you wanna play, you gotta pay.

I also hope Clark is behind this. We won when Lamar was a trailblazer. We lost when he was flying coach, being nice, and accepting the status quo.

crazycoffey
02-10-2007, 04:07 AM
I hope it doesn't change. It already says it all

OmahaChief
02-10-2007, 07:45 AM
How about we get Hunts (makers of fine tomato products) to sponsor

Hunt's Arrowhead Field.

What better double entendre could there be.

Spott
02-10-2007, 08:19 AM
How about Arrowhead Stadium at sprint field i could like that.

It should at least be a sponsor of a decent company.

StcChief
02-10-2007, 08:46 AM

Hunt's Arrowhead Field.

I like that idea alot.

Marlboro_Chief
02-10-2007, 12:03 PM
It's too bad the Surgeon General won't let them name it Marlboro Stadium:(

BigRedChief
02-10-2007, 12:16 PM

Hunt's Arrowhead Field.

They already sponsor pitt's field

Baconeater
02-10-2007, 12:45 PM
They already sponsor pitt's field
Wrong.

http://media3.steelers.com/MediaContent/2004/07/14/22/heinz_field_logo_43993.gif

Nightwish
02-10-2007, 01:35 PM
I don't care who buys the naming rights, as long as they decide to name it "Arrowhead Stadium."

StcChief
02-10-2007, 02:35 PM
Hunt's products are made in Omaha NE. by Conagra

http://www.hunts.com/CH01-ContactUs.jsp

Clark/Carl needs to knock on their door.

BigRedChief
02-10-2007, 03:00 PM
Wrong.

http://media3.steelers.com/MediaContent/2004/07/14/22/heinz_field_logo_43993.gif
Hunt's/Heinz it's all the same to me :)

htismaqe
02-10-2007, 03:03 PM
Hunt's products are made in Omaha NE. by Conagra

http://www.hunts.com/CH01-ContactUs.jsp

Clark/Carl needs to knock on their door.

ConAgra would be cool, Omaha isn't that far away. But I think ConAgra was approached when Omaha built their arena and Qwest ended up buying the naming rights there...

Bowser
02-10-2007, 04:53 PM
It's too bad the Surgeon General won't let them name it Marlboro Stadium:(

That is too bad.

Wait. No it's not.

Spott
02-10-2007, 05:22 PM
Maybe Chevrolet could be the sponsor and it could officially be called CamaroHead.

Joie
02-10-2007, 05:25 PM
Maybe Chevrolet could be the sponsor and it could officially be called CamaroHead.
Except that Chevy's no longer making Camaros. The last one rolled off the line a few years ago.

Bowser
02-10-2007, 05:48 PM
Except that Chevy's no longer making Camaros. The last one rolled off the line a few years ago.

Allow me to educate...

http://www.camaroforums.com/chevy/2007-Camaro/

Joie
02-10-2007, 05:51 PM
Allow me to educate...

http://www.camaroforums.com/chevy/2007-Camaro/
I retract my statement.....And I want one!!!! Too bad they aren't good kid haulers. :banghead:

Mojo Rising
02-10-2007, 08:22 PM
So much for loyality and the love of the game. F**king idiots are now f**king filthy greedy, and they just can't seem to get enough of the f**king money, that they'll just decide to sell the naming rights.

F**k that shit.

If they rename the stadium and the additional revenue lands Asante Samuel then I don't care what the name of the stadium is. They will never change the Arrowhead sign on the backside of the scoreboard.

We are a capitalist society. The NFL is cut throat. In the famous words of Gordon Gecko, "Greed is Good."

sportsman1
02-10-2007, 09:20 PM
That is total BS. Allowing any kind of naming rights to either stadium is an insult to Lamar Hunt and the fans and should require the shooting of anyone associatied with the deal. I swear if they change the name noone can ever refer to it as whatever corporation Stadium and we should kick anyones ass who does.