PDA

View Full Version : WINDOWS HELP PLEASE!!!

Buck
02-13-2007, 05:45 PM
If anyone here knows Linux I need help fast.

I ran a virus check last night and moved some items that were affected into a "chest." Anyways I can't figure out how to get them out of the Chest but I do know that you can perform a Restore Point on Windows. Oh, I get the Blue Screen of Death when I try to log on.

So I am using Mepis version of Linux and if anyone knows how to run a windows XP restore point from Linux I'd greatly appreciate it.

Simplex3
02-13-2007, 05:46 PM
So you have a dual boot?

Buck
02-13-2007, 05:48 PM
So you have a dual boot?

Not really, I have a Mepis CD in my DVD drive right now.

Simplex3
02-13-2007, 05:54 PM
Oh, so you did a virus-scan in Windows, which deleted some stuff, then a reboot blue screened you?

Buck
02-13-2007, 05:55 PM
Oh, so you did a virus-scan in Windows, which deleted some stuff, then a reboot blue screened you?

Yes, actually I moved the bad files into a chest, so they are still on my computer, but I guess they are needed to boot.

But yeah, thats almost exactly what happened to me. I really hope that you can help me because this is not my computer.

Simplex3
02-13-2007, 05:57 PM
One of the other, more Windows-savy guys can probably help you, I know there is a way to activate restore points from some recovery console in Windows. There's nothing you can do from within Linux, however.

Buck
02-13-2007, 05:58 PM
Damnit, I cant get on to windows.

Simplex3
02-13-2007, 06:05 PM
When it starts to boot you hit "F8" or something and it takes you to a pre-Windows screen, then you do something from there. I'd change your thread title to "Windows help PLEASE".

Buck
02-13-2007, 06:07 PM
Okay cool, anybody have any ideas?

Bill Parcells
02-13-2007, 06:10 PM
Keep Hitting F4 before windows starts..it will get you into safe mode.and then you can run a diagnostic check from there.

Buck
02-13-2007, 06:16 PM
Keep Hitting F4 before windows starts..it will get you into safe mode.and then you can run a diagnostic check from there.

Thank you.

DaFace
02-13-2007, 06:20 PM

Should be F8, not F4 for what it's worth.

Bill Parcells
02-13-2007, 06:28 PM
ok..F8..my mistake..

Buck
02-13-2007, 06:28 PM

When I hit F4 nothing happens, when I hit F8 it gives me the options of where I want to boot from, nothing about safe mode.

Fish
02-13-2007, 06:31 PM
Hit F8 right before the Loading Windows XP background comes on.

It will give you a menu. Select Load Last Good Known Configuration.

Hopefully there is one. At that point you would still need to remove the virus.

I would suggest a BartPE bootdisk.... you can then run a virus scan without any files running on the hard drive.

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Buck
02-13-2007, 06:38 PM
Okay, I guess I can't do this without a boot disk...and I don't have one...anyone know where I can get my hands on one for cheap (preferrably free)?

Fish
02-13-2007, 06:49 PM
Okay, I guess I can't do this without a boot disk...and I don't have one...anyone know where I can get my hands on one for cheap (preferrably free)?

I could mail you one. Depending on how soon ya need it. PM me.

Buck
02-13-2007, 06:53 PM
I could mail you one. Depending on how soon ya need it. PM me.

Okay, check your PMs

Count Alex's Losses
02-13-2007, 07:01 PM
Buy a Mac.

Buck
02-13-2007, 07:03 PM
Okay another question, I am about to install Mepis Linux onto my computer so I can dual boot, how much space should I partition for it? It says a minimum of 2.5 GB, but would more be better?

andoman
02-13-2007, 07:21 PM
You could put the hard drive into another computer as a slave. Is that option is available to you?

Simplex3
02-13-2007, 07:36 PM
Okay another question, I am about to install Mepis Linux onto my computer so I can dual boot, how much space should I partition for it? It says a minimum of 2.5 GB, but would more be better?
5G would be a realistic minimum.

Buck
02-13-2007, 07:37 PM
You could put the hard drive into another computer as a slave. Is that option is available to you?

I saw something about slaves earlier, but I just want to get linux on here for internet until i can fix XP

Simplex3
02-13-2007, 07:38 PM
I saw something about slaves earlier, but I just want to get linux on here for internet until i can fix XP
DON'T!!!!

Simplex3
02-13-2007, 07:38 PM
If that partition gets resized then "lost" files can be overwritten. That will be the end of your XP install.

Buck
02-13-2007, 07:39 PM
If that partition gets resized then "lost" files can be overwritten. That will be the end of your XP install.

So I shouldnt repartition anything and should just use the Linux boot disk if i need to use the internet?

Simplex3
02-13-2007, 07:40 PM
So I shouldnt repartition anything and should just use the Linux boot disk if i need to use the internet?
What happens when you do the F8 thing?

...and no, do not install ANYTHING on that machine until you get XP fixed.

Buck
02-13-2007, 07:44 PM
What happens when you do the F8 thing?

...and no, do not install ANYTHING on that machine until you get XP fixed.

When I press F8 it gives me a boot pop up menu where I can choose where to boot from.

The Choices are Floppy Drive, Hard Drive, DVD Drive, and External HD

Nothing about Safe Mode.

andoman
02-13-2007, 07:51 PM
I've also repaired Windows XP by using the boot/install disk. The trick is to not take the first repair option. Let it think it is doing a new install. It will find your existing installation a bit further into the install and ask you again if you want to repair. Take that second repair option. You will have to reinstall service packs, security updates, etc. but not your installed software.

I have done this several times, but I would save it for a near last resort.

Fish
02-13-2007, 07:59 PM
When I press F8 it gives me a boot pop up menu where I can choose where to boot from.

The Choices are Floppy Drive, Hard Drive, DVD Drive, and External HD

Nothing about Safe Mode.

Well... that's a different story. That is the BIOS Boot list, not XP's boot options.

What happens when you hit Hard Drive in that list, and immediately hit F8 again... actually tap F8 a few times to be sure... be quick...

Buck
02-13-2007, 08:01 PM
Well... that's a different story. That is the BIOS Boot list, not XP's boot options.

What happens when you hit Hard Drive in that list, and immediately hit F8 again... actually tap F8 a few times to be sure... be quick...

Okay, I'll reboot and let you know.

Buck
02-13-2007, 08:03 PM

Wait, what should I do after bringing up XPs boot options?

Fish
02-13-2007, 08:05 PM
Wait, what should I do after bringing up XPs boot options?

It will give you a menu. Select Load Last Known Good Configuration. See if that does the trick.

If not, try Safe Mode just for giggles.....

Buck
02-13-2007, 08:06 PM
It will give you a menu. Select Load Last Good Known Configuration. See if that does the trick.

Okay, brb.

Buck
02-13-2007, 08:17 PM
It will give you a menu. Select Load Last Known Good Configuration. See if that does the trick.

Blue Screen of Death both times.

Fish
02-13-2007, 08:23 PM
Blue Screen of Death both times.

Then you'll need to try a repair from the Install Disk...

Fish
02-13-2007, 08:25 PM
What computer are you using to post this?? Does it have highspeed, DVD burner, and a torrent program?

Buck
02-13-2007, 08:30 PM
What computer are you using to post this?? Does it have highspeed, DVD burner, and a torrent program?

Im using the computer that doesnt work, well the computer in which XP does not work on.

I have Cable Internet, DVD Burner, and I think my brother has a torrent program, but I have no idea how to mess with any of that.

Kerberos
02-13-2007, 08:34 PM
In the post above it says you are waiting for a boot disk. I am taking it that you are needing an XP CD so you can boot from that?

If that is the case I would try the FIRST repair option first.

Since it seems to be your boot sector that has taken a hiatus then I would do a repair to that first before doing the second repair option.

When you get into windoze from your XP CD you want to take the first option of the REPAIR CONSOLE and when it comes up type into the DOS screen

fixboot

and then hit enter

it will ask you if you want to check and overright the boot sector files and just press Y and enter and when it is done try to reboot you PC. I have brought back countless machines that were blue screening and looping during bootup with this.

If that does not do it reboot with the XP CD and go past the F8 accepting micorsucks license agreement and one of the next few screens should give you the OPTION to repair this copy of windoze.

If that doesn't work then you might think about buying a new hard drive and installing windoze fresh and hooking up your other drive as a slave and get your files off that way.

If you are not worried about losing files then just write zeros to the original drive and reload XP.

my.02

Buck
02-13-2007, 08:36 PM
In the post above it says you are waiting for a boot disk. I am taking it that you are needing an XP CD so you can boot from that?

If that is the case I would try the FIRST repair option first.

Since it seems to be your boot sector that has taken a hiatus then I would do a repair to that first before doing the second repair option.

When you get into windoze from your XP CD you want to take the first option of the REPAIR CONSOLE and when it comes up type into the DOS screen

fixboot

and then hit enter

it will ask you if you want to check and overright the boot sector files and just press Y and enter and when it is done try to reboot you PC. I have brought back countless machines that were blue screening and looping during bootup with this.

If that does not do it reboot with the XP CD and go past the F8 accepting micorsucks license agreement and one of the next few screens should give you the OPTION to repair this copy of windoze.

If that doesn't work then you might think about buying a new hard drive and installing windoze fresh and hooking up your other drive as a slave and get your files off that way.

If you are not worried about losing files then just write zeros to the original drive and reload XP.

my.02

Thanks, sounds good

Fish
02-13-2007, 08:42 PM
Im using the computer that doesnt work, well the computer in which XP does not work on.

I have Cable Internet, DVD Burner, and I think my brother has a torrent program, but I have no idea how to mess with any of that.

OK... nevermind... I forgot you were running from a startup disk... you'll need an XP disk.

Buck
02-25-2007, 07:42 PM
Okay, I am about to put in the Windows XP Installation disc. Is there a way to just replace the missing files or can I only do a full reinstall?

DaFace
02-25-2007, 08:15 PM
Okay, I am about to put in the Windows XP Installation disc. Is there a way to just replace the missing files or can I only do a full reinstall?

Depending on your specific setup, you may have the option to do a "repair" installation. At the first prompt after it gets done loading the disc, press Enter to go on (do NOT press R at this point). Once you've got the window where you can pick which drive to install on, look at the top of the screen. If you've got an option that says something like "Press R to repair this installation of Windows XP," you're in business. Otherwise, you'll most likely need to do a full install.

Buck
02-25-2007, 09:33 PM
Alright well, I got windows working again, but I need an activation key within the next 30 days. Can anybody help me with this?

Gonzo
02-25-2007, 09:49 PM
Buy a Mac.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Love my new I Mac