PDA

View Full Version : Daytona 500 is Sunday, who wins ?

ROYC75
02-14-2007, 10:07 AM
I know there are many here who can't stand NASCAR, so be it, haters need not reply. :p

On a side note, looks like Jr and mommy E are still at ends with each other. She is stubborn enough to let him walk, Dale Sr. gotta be turning over in his grave.

JimNasium
02-14-2007, 10:10 AM
You should retitle this to read "Daytona 500 is Sunday, who cares?"

cadmonkey
02-14-2007, 10:14 AM
As much as I would hate to see it happen, I see Tony Stewart winning this year. He's had a good record at Daytona, and he's got some fire under his ass because of not making the chase this year.

If I had my choice I would like to see Jeff Gordon win it.

Cochise
02-14-2007, 10:16 AM
Crap I forgot it was this weekend. I need to shift my portfolio into PBR and Fruit of the Loom, stat!

ROYC75
02-14-2007, 10:18 AM

I seen you couldn't resist the thread ..........
:)

BigRedChief
02-14-2007, 10:19 AM
Ask Mrs. Nozner...:rolleyes:

MichaelH
02-14-2007, 10:19 AM
I'm going old school....

Sterling Marlin

Woodrow Call
02-14-2007, 10:20 AM
I've turned into a Nascar fan over last few years. It's a decent way to pass the time during the offseason. I'm a Dale Jr fan; I hope he leaves DEI and drives the #3 for Childress or atleast goes to a team that will give him top-notch equipment and good teammates to work with.

Anyway I think Stewart wins it.

Sully
02-14-2007, 10:21 AM
I win.

For not watching.

Fruit Ninja
02-14-2007, 10:21 AM
Reality pick is Smoke.

Who i want to win, Bobby Labonte.

Fruit Ninja
02-14-2007, 10:23 AM
I've turned into a Nascar fan over last few years. It's a decent way to pass the time during the offseason. I'm a Dale Jr fan; I hope he leaves DEI and drives the #3 for Childress or atleast goes to a team that will give him top-notch equipment and good teammates to work with.

Anyway I think Stewart wins it.
I just got into it in 98 i think it was. Just gives ya something to do when there isnt any other sports on. Plus the season is freaking long. Its a pretty good sport. I dont know how the hell they drive so fast side by side and bumper to bumper.

JimNasium
02-14-2007, 10:25 AM
Personally, I'm pulling for a giant sinkhole to open up directly under the speedway. The only downside to this is that the economic impact on tatoo parlors, tobacco companies and mobile home manufacturers might drag us into a economic recession. That's a risk I'm willing to take though.

MichaelH
02-14-2007, 10:26 AM
Personally, I'm pulling for a giant sinkhole to open up directly under the speedway. The only downside to this is that the economic impact on tatoo parlors, tobacco companies and mobile home manufacturers might drag us into a economic recession. That's a risk I'm willing to take though.

:)

What a way to stereotype.

ROYC75
02-14-2007, 10:28 AM
So far , NASCAR has handed down some fines and suspensions to 4 crew chiefs for cheating.

Wile_E_Coyote
02-14-2007, 10:33 AM
Paris Hilton move to Florida?

Rooster
02-14-2007, 10:34 AM
I think this is the last race where Nascar will be running with leaded fuel after this race it is all un-leaded.

Iowanian
02-14-2007, 10:34 AM
Nzoner's wife and sister.

Chief Chief
02-14-2007, 10:39 AM
#12, Ryan Newman.

BIG_DADDY
02-14-2007, 10:44 AM
Did Earnhardt switch teams?

Donger
02-14-2007, 10:45 AM
JP Montoya.

cadmonkey
02-14-2007, 10:47 AM
Did Earnhardt switch teams?

No, his contact is up at the end of the season and he is renegotiationg right now.

dr00d
02-14-2007, 10:51 AM
who cares who wins you frickin' hillbillies...have you gone to the dentist lately?

Pants
02-14-2007, 10:53 AM
I win.

For not watching.

rofl

ROYC75
02-14-2007, 10:57 AM
who cares who wins you frickin' hillbillies...have you gone to the dentist lately?

Heh, who knew that their were hillbillies in Tx,NY, NH, De, Chicago, KC, and Ca. Oh wait, The Beverly Hillbilly's, I'll give ya that one.

You Just another Hater, Nothing to see here, time to move along.

HemiEd
02-14-2007, 11:02 AM
Jeff Gordon... Toyota will finish dead last... they are cheaters!

I am curious what engines Toyota is using. I guess you know, by the very nature of NASCAR, they will make rule exceptions for Toyota until they are winning and competitive.

HonestChieffan
02-14-2007, 11:02 AM
I prefer a dry rub on ribs.

Cochise
02-14-2007, 11:09 AM

toofless = no dentist :D

Demonpenz
02-14-2007, 11:36 AM
i would love to see JP montoya win. indy winner f1 he did alright but you know he is probably in the top 5 drivers in the world.

Chiefs_Fan
02-14-2007, 11:38 AM
Who's playing?

Luke
02-14-2007, 11:38 AM
Traditionally the car that crosses the finish line first usually wins. ROFL

In point of fact, NASCAR revenues and attendence is far greater than NFL and NBA combined. Drive fast and turn left is actually not all that is required. There is as much teamwork involved in an average pit stop than in run, run, pass punt.
As for the hillbilly aspect of the sport, look at the average Raider Nation fan, which one appears more intelligent? NASCAR did have its beginnings in the south,but these days many drivers are from California, Las Vegas,Maine and several from good old Missouri.

Cochise
02-14-2007, 11:48 AM
In point of fact, NASCAR revenues and attendence is far greater than NFL and NBA combined.

Well, when your venues hold 3-5 times as many people, 'attendence' will tend to be greater.

HemiEd
02-14-2007, 11:50 AM
Another thought about the Toyota engine. NASCAR requires that the engine be a "push rod" motor. (no overhead cams) Has Toyota ever built a push rod V8? I doubt it very seriously.

StcChief
02-14-2007, 11:53 AM
ROFL ..... no sh1t. Damn roundy, roundies.

Chief Nute
02-14-2007, 11:57 AM
Ricky Bobby.

Because if you aint first, your last.

Bacon Cheeseburger
02-14-2007, 11:57 AM
I'll be pulling for Tony Stewart. As far as the Dale Jr situation, I'd like to see him walk. Who would DEI hang their hat on if he left? Michael ****ing Waltrip?

It's also hilarious to see people living in the midwest calling out NASCAR for being redneck. If you live in this area of the country you're part redneck whether you like it or not.

kcfanXIII
02-14-2007, 12:00 PM
as much as i hate to see gordon and jr as teamates, i hope he ends up with hendrick motor sports. they have the best engine program and seem to have success on any track. i have a lot of respect for gordon, i just don't like him. i guess that will have to change, where ever jr goes, that's who i'll support.

Bacon Cheeseburger
02-14-2007, 12:02 PM
Well, when your venues hold 3-5 times as many people, 'attendence' will tend to be greater.
Yes, but there's only one venue each week, as opposed to the NFL and NBA having multiple venues each week.

Chiefs_Fan
02-14-2007, 12:11 PM
In point of fact, NASCAR revenues and attendence is far greater than NFL and NBA combined.

Source?

Sully
02-14-2007, 12:12 PM
Ricky Bobby.

Because if you aint first, your last.

THAT just happened.

cadmonkey
02-14-2007, 12:18 PM
I'll be pulling for Tony Stewart. As far as the Dale Jr situation, I'd like to see him walk. Who would DEI hang their hat on if he left? Michael ****ing Waltrip?

that would be tough to do, Waltrip is his own team owner with Toyota now.

Bacon Cheeseburger
02-14-2007, 12:44 PM
that would be tough to do, Waltrip is his own team owner with Toyota now.
Martin ****ing Truex Jr!

HemiEd
02-14-2007, 12:47 PM
ROFL http://www.roanoke.com/sports/racing/wb/104313

New breed of Toyotas at Daytona
Ed Hardin | Landmark News Service

"Show me the carburetor."

OK, so that's not much of a battle cry in racing these days, no more than say, "Show me the wheel-base specs," or, "Show me the cylinder-bore center lines." Toyota can produce all those, and NASCAR can pretend it approves, and let's face it, the resistance to Japanese cars coming to NASCAR ended long ago -- about the time the car maker showed up in Daytona Beach with a truck bed full of money.

So here we are, a week away from the Daytona 500, facing the usual field of Fords, Dodges and Chevrolets. And by about 3:15 that afternoon there will be something never before seen in a Cup race in the stock-car South.

A dad-blame Toyota.

Now most of us have grown up with these things. Your sister had one back in the '70s or your next-door neighbor's mom, you know, the lady your dad said might be a communist? It was a sad little car, a two-door box that sounded like a sewing machine when it cranked in the morning. In fact, it sounded like a sewing machine when it didn't crank in the morning.

They always needed working on, and your dad would always volunteer. They had no carburetor. They operated off something called fuel injection and nothing in the American South was more suspicious than fuel injection in the late '60s and early '70s. Those sad little Toyota motors looked like something you could build with an Erector Set, and they didn't require the same sort of shade-tree service normal cars called for.

Your father could get any engine started with a rag and a screw driver because he'd just remove the air filter and cover the carburetor with an old oily rag and give the side of it a whap and just about any motor in America would fire right up, sometimes literally spewing a ball of flame straight up through the barrels.

One of my fondest childhood memories is of Mr. Ledbetter from down the street in Charlotte working on an old Ford one time when fire shot straight up out of the engine and engulfed his head in flames. You could see the silhouette of him inside the fire, his cigarette still hanging from his mouth. He never moved. The engine started right up.

Driving to Daytona this week, don't expect to see any of those Toyotas from the old days. The average life-span of a Toyota Corona was about three months. Now they have something called a Camry, but you won't see one of those driving down either, at least not like the one NASCAR has allowed into the big race Sunday.

The 2007 Toyota Camry is the Motor Trend Car of the Year, a family sedan with standard cruise control, air conditioning, six-speaker sound system, remote keyless entry, power locks and windows, ABS, something like seven airbags and tire-pressure monitoring systems. Whatever.

The 2007 Toyota Camry comes to Daytona with nothing bought from the local service shops, nothing seen on showroom floors and nothing available at zero percent financing. The 2007 Toyota Camry, Motor Trend's Car of the Year, doesn't exist. At least not in the NASCAR tradition. The car Michael Waltrip and his friends will drive this week is a decal covering a mechanical creation, a stock car that isn't stock surrounding a V-8 engine that doesn't come standard -- never has, never will.

The heart and soul of stock-car racing has always been the carburetor mounted atop the manifold of a Detroit fire-breathing V-8 power plant, producing American horsepower and American noise. The truth is, Toyotas are for girls.

OK, I'm through now. I'm over it. The old days are gone forever. Bring on every car maker in the world. Nobody uses carburetors anymore except NASCAR, and let's be honest, none of the cars we'll see this week exist in any car dealership in the world.

Toyota is as much a part of NASCAR as that Car of Tomorrow thing that comes out next month. Once it becomes the only car on the circuit, any car company in the universe can come into the sport with a few decals and a couple of scientists. From here on out, that's what we'll be watching -- science experiments going around in circles, Fords looking exactly like the Chevrolets, Dodges looking exactly like dad-blame Toyotas.

recxjake
02-14-2007, 12:53 PM
"Toyotas are for girls." Quote of they day.

Pushead2
02-14-2007, 01:32 PM
I hate to say but i think tony stewart wins it.

Ultra Peanut
02-14-2007, 01:32 PM
TAKUMA SATO!

http://www.imgred.com/http://www.optura.se/pressemeldinger/seiko/takuma_sato.jpg

leviw
02-14-2007, 01:34 PM
Jimmie Johnson...again.

I've been a fan since he won the pole for the 2002 500, but now he's almost as cliche as Jr., Gordon and Stewart.

bloomer88
02-14-2007, 01:35 PM
Great start Toyota!

No kidding. I've been thinking the same thing.

htismaqe
02-14-2007, 01:38 PM
Great start Toyota!

You might want to go ahead and READ the article that you posted, particularly the last sentence...neither Hyder nor Waltrip are Toyota employees.

But I'm sure those evil japs are behind it somehow.

bloomer88
02-14-2007, 01:40 PM
as much as i hate to see gordon and jr as teamates, i hope he ends up with hendrick motor sports. they have the best engine program and seem to have success on any track. i have a lot of respect for gordon, i just don't like him. i guess that will have to change, where ever jr goes, that's who i'll support.

Could you imagine if that happened. I'm not a big Gordon fan, but he doesn't bother me too much. I've always respected Jimmie Johnson, but I can't stand that little prick Kyle Bush. If, and that's a big if, Jr. does leave DEI, and happens to join the Hendrick team, that would be one hell of a team.

Monty
02-14-2007, 01:45 PM
Jimmie Johnson...again.

I've been a fan since he won the pole for the 2002 500, but now he's almost as cliche as Jr., Gordon and Stewart.

Cliche' or not, I still like Gordon. I'm not much of a NASCAR fan, but I love to tailgate, so there's one aspect of NASCAR that really appeals to me. A friend of my Dad who lives in KC offered up his tix to Daytona this year, so I took 'em! My chances of seeing the Chiefs in the SB are iffy at best, so considering that this is like the SB of NASCAR, I said why not? :D Our seats are in Segrave Section B and are really outstanding seats. We'll be up and early tailgating each morning, but I know the letdown will be when I take my seats and notice that there are cars in the infield and not a bunch of guys with Chiefs helmets on.....but I'll make the best of it. :toast:

Ultra Peanut
02-14-2007, 01:46 PM
I hope these come with nawwwwwwwwwwws!

http://imgred.com/http://j4cbo.com/imgslave/files/a6/a6ad9c96632c175c7c43fb165ebc5fc4efd82887.jpg

RNR
02-14-2007, 03:37 PM
Tony Stewart, Dale Jr., Jimmie Johnson, Kevin Harvick, Jeff Gordon would be the 5 I would put as favorites. dark horses would be either one of the mutant Bush brothers or maybe Carl Edwards.

Buck
02-14-2007, 03:42 PM
Jimmie Johnson, the only Nascar driver ever from San Diego.

Spott
02-14-2007, 03:50 PM
This weekend's Busch and Nascar race will be the first races I've ever been to. Not sure what to expect, but I'm hoping that neither Dale Jr or Jeff Gordon win. The only drivers I pay much attention to are Kenseth and Kahne(my son's favorite).

Buck
02-14-2007, 03:53 PM
This weekend's Busch and Nascar race will be the first races I've ever been to. Not sure what to expect, but I'm hoping that neither Dale Jr or Jeff Gordon win. The only drivers I pay much attention to are Kenseth and Kahne(my son's favorite).

Nascar is the one sport that is actually more exciting on TV than in person...believe me, I've gone.

Buck
02-14-2007, 03:57 PM
They just announced that Michael Waltrips team tried to cheat by using Jet Fuel.

Spott
02-14-2007, 03:59 PM
Nascar is the one sport that is actually more exciting on TV than in person...believe me, I've gone.

Really? I was hoping it would be better in person like hockey is. I've never been, but I have always heard from people that have gone say how great it is in person. Of course, most of the people that have told me that are a bunch of 'necks.

Buck
02-14-2007, 04:03 PM
Really? I was hoping it would be better in person like hockey is. I've never been, but I have always heard from people that have gone say how great it is in person. Of course, most of the people that have told me that are a bunch of 'necks.

You definitely have to decide for yourself. I went when I was about 15 so I couldnt drink or anything. Its definitely worth going to once so you can see what its like.

The only reason its boring is because you sit in the stands and watch them roar by for about 5 seconds and then you have to wait a minute for them to come back and roar by you for 5 seconds.

It is the Daytona 500 though, so it might be different.

Hockey on the other hand is about 500% better in person.

Spott
02-14-2007, 04:04 PM
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) -- Michael Waltrip's team was accused of trying to boost horsepower with an illegal substance -- possibly a form of jet fuel, a person with knowledge of the NASCAR investigation told The Associated Press on Wednesday.

The substance was found inside the intake manifold of Waltrip's new Toyota Camry before qualifying for the Daytona 500 on Sunday. NASCAR seized the part and shipped it back to North Carolina for analysis, and spent all day Wednesday pulling parts and pieces from under the hood.

NASCAR is continuing the investigation, but according to ESPN, Waltrip's crew chief has been suspended indefinitely.

The manifold is a part of the engine that supplies the fuel/air mix to the engine cylinders. Waltrip's team coated the inside of it with an illegal substance that is believed to be a gelatin form of jet fuel, according to the same official, who requested anonymity because NASCAR had not finished its investigation.

Waltrip's team maintains it was oil.

Spott
02-14-2007, 04:06 PM
You definitely have to decide for yourself. I went when I was about 15 so I couldnt drink or anything. Its definitely worth going to once so you can see what its like.

The only reason its boring is because you sit in the stands and watch them roar by for about 5 seconds and then you have to wait a minute for them to come back and roar by you for 5 seconds.

It is the Daytona 500 though, so it might be different.

Hockey on the other hand is about 500% better in person.

If all else fails, I can amuse myself by counting all the mullets and toothless people in the stands during those 55 seconds.

HemiEd
02-14-2007, 04:09 PM
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) -- Michael Waltrip's team was accused of trying to boost horsepower with an illegal substance -- possibly a form of jet fuel, a person with knowledge of the NASCAR investigation told The Associated Press on Wednesday.

The substance was found inside the intake manifold of Waltrip's new Toyota Camry before qualifying for the Daytona 500 on Sunday. NASCAR seized the part and shipped it back to North Carolina for analysis, and spent all day Wednesday pulling parts and pieces from under the hood.

NASCAR is continuing the investigation, but according to ESPN, Waltrip's crew chief has been suspended indefinitely.

The manifold is a part of the engine that supplies the fuel/air mix to the engine cylinders. Waltrip's team coated the inside of it with an illegal substance that is believed to be a gelatin form of jet fuel, according to the same official, who requested anonymity because NASCAR had not finished its investigation.

Waltrip's team maintains it was oil.

Jetfuel, last time I was involved with it, was similar to diesel fuel. That shit would not help, it would reduce octane and kill horsepower.

RNR
02-14-2007, 04:13 PM
I bet you have a blast.

Bacon Cheeseburger
02-14-2007, 06:53 PM
I hope these come with nawwwwwwwwwwws!

http://imgred.com/http://j4cbo.com/imgslave/files/a6/a6ad9c96632c175c7c43fb165ebc5fc4efd82887.jpg
Anyone know what those extra spoilers under the front fascia are all about? That's something new.

sportsman1
02-14-2007, 07:50 PM
Its hard telling right now but from the little practice and qualifing I have seen I would pick Ricky Rudd.

Im a Hamlin and Biffle fan for the record.

Ebolapox
02-14-2007, 07:55 PM
the one who drives fastest longest without wrecking

eh, who am I kidding--the one with the best cankles

(/john madden)

HemiEd
02-14-2007, 08:55 PM
Anyone know what those extra spoilers under the front fascia are all about? That's something new.

Keeping air on top of the car and not under it. I think what your seeing in those pictures is the future, or close to it. They are going to one body for all makers, just a decal difference. I think it is supposed to be a couple years off, but it should further equalize the chances for each manufacturer.

L.A. Chieffan
02-14-2007, 09:36 PM
If anybodys intrested I started a fantasy Nascar league with about 7-8 other buddies. I've done a hundred other fantasy leagues but never Nascar so this should be intresting.

So anyways, League ID # is 21719 and password is neckcar.

recxjake
02-15-2007, 12:02 PM
Toyota....Moving Forward with Jet Fuel

HemiEd
02-15-2007, 12:14 PM

see post 66.

htismaqe
02-15-2007, 12:26 PM

What again Toyota, the company, have to do with it?

You yourself suggested that Hyder and Waltrip were the culprits.

cadmonkey
02-15-2007, 12:26 PM

Its to keep the nose of the car down and have air flow over not under the car, to create down force and have the front tires grip the track better.

Its also to try and keep the cars from flipping when they get sideways on the super speedways

HemiEd
02-15-2007, 12:36 PM
If it wasn't helpful then why did this happen:

"Crew chief David Hyder and competition director Bobby Kennedy were escorted out of Daytona International Speedway on Wednesday and suspended indefinitely. Hyder also was fined $100,000."

Hyder is suspended and said to be fired... Waltrip has already been fined 100 points!

Obviously the team did something to cheat, but I doubt it was jet fuel. It would be like cutting good whisky (race gas) with cheap beer (jet fuel).

History of jet fuel
Fuel for a piston-engine powered aircraft (usually a high-octane gasoline known as Avgas) has a low flash point to improve its ignition characteristics. Turbine engines can operate with a wide range of fuels, and jet-aircraft engines typically use fuels with higher flash points, which are less flammable and therefore safer to transport and handle. The first jet fuels were based on kerosene or a gasoline-kerosene mix, and most jet fuels are still kerosene-based.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_fuel

recxjake
02-15-2007, 12:38 PM
What again Toyota, the company, have to do with it?

You yourself suggested that Hyder and Waltrip were the culprits.

Nothing, it's a joke.

htismaqe
02-15-2007, 12:40 PM
Nothing, it's a joke.

Of course it is.

Of course it is.

Your only contributions to this thread all revolve around the Waltrip scandal. If it's a joke, where's the punchline?

HemiEd
02-15-2007, 12:41 PM
OK, fuel additive. That could be a lot of things.

htismaqe
02-15-2007, 12:58 PM
I don't like you, you don't like me.... lets just not talk... thanks.

I never said I don't like you.

But I, along with alot of people here, have a problem with spammers and trolls.

recxjake
02-15-2007, 01:05 PM
I never said I don't like you.

But I, along with alot of people here, have a problem with spammers and trolls.

One thing... is this thread not about the Daytona 500?! Waltrip is in the middle of the biggest scandal that has ever hit the sport..... Posting info on it just fine.

htismaqe
02-15-2007, 01:10 PM
One thing... is this thread not about the Daytona 500?! Waltrip is in the middle of the biggest scandal that has ever hit the sport..... Posting info on it just fine.

The same info over and over.

Don't try to pretend that you don't have an ulterior motive.

HemiEd
02-15-2007, 01:11 PM

Maybe in your lifetime, but it isn't even in the top 5 scandals that ever hit the sport.

cadmonkey
02-15-2007, 01:17 PM
OK, fuel additive. That could be a lot of things.

What I heard was the his team spread Sterno over the intake manifold to keep it hot. The hot it was the better it worked. So the Sterno would catch fire (sort of) and keep the manifold at an extremely high temperature.

Just what I heard.

HemiEd
02-15-2007, 01:21 PM
What I heard was the his team spread Sterno over the intake manifold to keep it hot. The hot it was the better it worked. So the Sterno would catch fire (sort of) and keep the manifold at an extremely high temperature.

Just what I heard.

Now that kind of fits with some of the information I heard the other day.

Normally you would want the intake cold to make the mixture more dense.
However, they are running restrictor plates, so there is only so much fuel and maybe they found better atomization when hot.

HemiEd
02-15-2007, 01:22 PM
"Michael Waltrip apologized Thursday for his team's role in NASCAR's biggest cheating scandal"

Makes good reading, don't it?

HemiEd
02-15-2007, 01:23 PM
"Michael Waltrip apologized Thursday for his team's role in NASCAR's biggest cheating scandal"

I would rate the scandal that had Richard Petty quit the sport a lot higher.

cadmonkey
02-15-2007, 01:32 PM
Now that kind of fits with some of the information I heard the other day.

Normally you would want the intake cold to make the mixture more dense.
However, they are running restrictor plates, so there is only so much fuel and maybe they found better atomization when hot.

Thats what I was thinking as well, but was curious as to if they would take that kind of risk and overheating the engine all together.

HemiEd
02-15-2007, 01:34 PM
Are you still looking at the new Silverado? I sure am. But I am going to wait until supply catches up with demand a little more. They are in short supply and still very expensive for what I want. We are a Delphi supplier, so I can get the deal you kindly offered later I think.

do tell. The Short story: NASCAR did not like the domination that the Hemi was showing. It made for very one sided racing. They outlawed the 426 Hemi.
The King protested and built Drag Car, 65 Barracuda IIRC, with a Hemi. I am pretty sure the year was 65/66.

Later, NASCAR just restricted the size of the carb on the Hemi to 500 cfm, the other cars had something like 1000 cfm.

cadmonkey
02-15-2007, 01:52 PM
Well the Waltrip contovercy can end.....he just raced his way into the 500 by finishing well in the Duel 120s

HemiEd
02-15-2007, 01:52 PM
do tell.

I just found this, a lot different than I remembered it.

However, Bill France was not happy. Before the final race in 1964, he made an announcement that chilled the Chrysler camp. In one sweep, he eliminated the Hemi engine from competition, along with the newly introduced Ford 427 "hi- riser." Ford was pleased. Chrysler was not.

Ten days later, Ronnie Householder issued a statement that no Chrysler supported teams were going to participate in any NASCAR event under the current dictated rules. He blasted NASCAR, at times appearing furious with the decision handed down by France. It had started when Ford officials had been making it known that if NASCAR did not declare the Hemi engine illegal as a non production item, they would boycott the 1965 season. Their suspicions about the Hemi were confirmed in their mind with aerodynamics having nothing at all to do with the winning ways for Chrysler.

When France made his decision to ban the Hemi, Householder called Ford and NASCAR to task. Without a doubt, the threat of a boycott from Ford prompted Bill France to write the Hemi out. Yet, he did not specifically refer to the Chevrolet 427 "porcupine" engine, encouraging the GM teams that it would be welcomed on NASCAR tracks. Certainly, he had looked the other way in 1963 when the mystery Chevrolet engine appeared. So the lines were drawn. Chrysler turned to other events, USAC and drag racing.

It is unfortunate that the United States Auto Club didn't tried harder. They were a great racing sanctioning body whose rules were applied fairly across the board while encouraging racing development. They were also better than NASCAR because they were not a dictatorship style of management.

The decision by Chrysler not to race in the 1965 NASCAR season was a setback for the Pettys. Richard had been eager to defend his title. The new Plymouth Satellite was essentially the same car as the 1964 Belvedere. Along the way, the techniques for utilizing all that the Hemi engine had to give were ready for application to the new 1965 cars. Richard accepted the decision by Chrysler. After all, at that point, he was on Chrysler's payroll. How he or any of the Petty clan felt about the loss of their independence has never been talked about. However, I am certain that they did not easily accept being ruled by outside forces. Steps were taken to insure that they would never have to follow the lead of any influence other than their own in the future.

Richard, Maurice and Lee went drag racing in 1965! Supplied with a new Plymouth Barracuda fastback, Maurice set out to make it a drag racer to be the one to beat. He succeeded. The highly modified Plymouth, called 43 Jr., had a 426 Hemi that was warmed over by Maurice and Dale Inman. Richard made appearances in events all over the Southeastern United States. In every place that he ran, it was standing room only. Not quite satisfied with the first Barracuda, Maurice built another one. This one had an altered wheelbase, and different suspension modifications. It too, had a 426 Hemi, that was modified even more than the first. The torqueflite was replaced with a 4 speed manual transmission. This Petty Blue Plymouth was named "Outlawed." The first run out of the box was at 140 miles an hour in the 1/4 mile. Over the course of the spring and summer of 1965, Richard lost only 6 events between the two Barracuda cars.

NASCAR did not fare well with the Chrysler teams sitting out. Even though Bill France had set rules that clearly favored Chevrolet and the 427 Mark IV engine, GM sat tight on its racing ban observance. Ford and Mercury were the only cars out on the circuit. The public stayed home in droves. Financially, it drove NASCAR into dire straits.

cadmonkey
02-15-2007, 02:04 PM
he wrecked Dale Jr early... He's gonna get his thrown around on Sunday.... Waltrip is lucky that 78 year old guy didn't beat him out... that would have capped his week off pretty well!

that would have been a kick in the balls. His brother Darrel would have laughed his ass off though.

LocoChiefsFan
02-15-2007, 05:32 PM

It's also hilarious to see people living in the midwest calling out NASCAR for being redneck. If you live in this area of the country you're part redneck whether you like it or not.
Michael Waltrip left DEI a year ago. He's in a Toyota now. I love how people stereotype Nascar fans and they probably have never been to a race. Trust me, Nascar is big business and it reflects in the ticket prices, which in turn translates to a whole different crowd.

ROYC75
02-15-2007, 07:17 PM
Michael Waltrip left DEI a year ago. He's in a Toyota now. I love how people stereotype Nascar fans and they probably have never been to a race. Trust me, Nascar is big business and it reflects in the ticket prices, which in turn translates to a whole different crowd.

They are just pissed off because some( actually alot of ) people really enjoy racing and they don't. To each his / her own...........

I can't stand hockey or the Lakers......... :p

Skip Towne
02-15-2007, 07:48 PM
I want Danica Patrick to win

KcFanNindy
02-15-2007, 08:47 PM
GO TONY GO!!!!! IT WILL BE THE HOME DEPOT #20 CHEVY TO THE WINNER CIRCLE!!!!

boogblaster
02-15-2007, 10:30 PM
Jimmy Johnson or Dale Jr I hope ...

ROYC75
02-16-2007, 08:56 AM
Gordon got booted to 42nd in the race for a violation during post race inspection yesterday.

htismaqe
02-16-2007, 09:39 AM
Gordon got booted to 42nd in the race for a violation during post race inspection yesterday.

GM cheats!!! Chevy cheats!!!

GoHuge
02-16-2007, 09:41 AM
Either Tony Stewart or Junior. He was really strong even after getting wrecked.

ROYC75
02-16-2007, 09:42 AM
GM cheats!!! Chevy cheats!!!

ROFL

htismaqe
02-16-2007, 09:47 AM
Wrong... Nascar said 100% not intentional... error in the spring.... Gordon still got the win yesterday.

You completely missed the point.

And exposed yourself yet again.