PDA

View Full Version : Lets Talk Baseball (Predictions)

Buck
02-14-2007, 03:33 PM
Okay, as baseball season gets nearer, and our teams respective playoff losses move further and further away, it just makes sense to talk about baseball.

Lets see some early predictions in here.

AL East: Blue Jays
AL Central: White Sox
AL West: Athletics
AL Wild Card: Red Sox

NL East: Mets
NL Central: Cardinals
NL West: Padres (:homer:)
NL Wild Card: Phillies

AL Champ: A's
NL Champ: Mets

World Series Champs: Mets

What do you guys think?

Jordan
02-14-2007, 03:44 PM
As I too am jonzin' for some baseball, I will help the thread.

East - BoSox
Central - ChiSox
West - A's....weak ass division tho.
W.C. - Yanks

East - Mets
Central - Cubs....spent some serious $ and that offense should kill it
West - Padres...You're not a homer, they have pitching & pitchers park
W.C. - Cards

NL & AL west will be the red headed step child of MLB again this year while our small market AL Central will be the cream of the crop. Not as good of records at the top spots, but with the Royals bringing up the rear and being close to .500, instead of 100 losses, the division will be the better for it.

NIBB HIGH FOOTBALL RULES!!! (In case you all disagree, I still wanna hear a cheer when I finish my speach)

HonestChieffan
02-14-2007, 03:45 PM
Roylas will lose 87 games.

88TG88
02-14-2007, 03:46 PM
Dodgers thread over

siberian khatru
02-14-2007, 03:47 PM
Roylas will lose 87 games.

That would be awesome.

RJ
02-14-2007, 04:06 PM
Why do you see the Blue Jays winning the AL East? They lost more talent than they signed while the Red Sox and Yankees both got some upgrades. Is your prediction just because you don't like those big guys?

Anyhow, I'll play....here's mine.

East - Red Sox
Central - White Sox
West - Angels
Wild Card - Yankees

East - Mets
Central - Cubs
West - Dodgers
Wild Card - Cardinals

Red Sox beat Cubs in WS, Cubs fans are so happy to be there they don't notice they lost.

Buck
02-14-2007, 04:08 PM
Why do you see the Blue Jays winning the AL East? They lost more talent than they signed while the Red Sox and Yankees both got some upgrades. Is your prediction just because you don't like those big guys?

I think that they have the talent to make it. They have a potentially great pitching staff and I think they have a good lineup with Vernon Wells and Troy Glaus. I think this is the year that everyone stops talking about the Sox/Yanks and someone else wins the AL East.

88TG88
02-14-2007, 04:12 PM
i pretty much agree wit RJ exceot for the cubs i think the cards win the division and cubs get the wild card. i also think (more like hope) its dodgers and white sox in the WS. rematch of 59 (?) series

RJ
02-14-2007, 04:21 PM
I think that they have the talent to make it. They have a potentially great pitching staff and I think they have a good lineup with Vernon Wells and Troy Glaus. I think this is the year that everyone stops talking about the Sox/Yanks and someone else wins the AL East.

Everyone stops talking about them? Hell, that will never happen. If they're winning that's all we'll hear about and if they're losing that's all we'll hear about.

Don't see how the Jays could even finish 2nd in that division. They're not a bad team but they lost more than they gained in FA this offseason while the Evil Empires both upped the ante.

Buck
02-14-2007, 04:28 PM
Everyone stops talking about them? Hell, that will never happen. If they're winning that's all we'll hear about and if they're losing that's all we'll hear about.

Don't see how the Jays could even finish 2nd in that division. They're not a bad team but they lost more than they gained in FA this offseason while the Evil Empires both upped the ante.

I question both the Sox and Yanks pitching rotations, the Yankees Rotation is just flat out old, while the Red Sox's (sp?) Is a mixture of old (Schilling, Wakefield), unproven (Matsuzaka, Papelbon) and a huge question mark (Beckett).

The Yankees have as far as I know Mussina (old), Pettite(old), Wang (who will proabably have a sophomore slump), Kei Igawa (needs to prove himself in the MLB), and Carl Pavano (older, injury prone)

RJ
02-14-2007, 04:52 PM
Yankees piching admittedly a ?, but that lineup is tough to outscore.

Damon
Jeter
Giambi
A-Rod - even in a bad year there are few better
Matsui
Abreu
Posada
Cano
Cabrera
Mientkiewicz

Buck
02-14-2007, 05:02 PM
This is how I think these guys will do this year.

YANKEES
Damon - Average
Jeter - Great
Giambi - Good
A-Rod - Great
Matsui - Good
Abreu - Average
Posada - Good
Cano - Good
Cabrera - Average
Mientkiewicz - Below Average (I didnt even know he was still in the league)

RED SOX
Varitek - Average
Ortiz - Great
Ramirez - Great
Lugo - Average
Pedroia- Average
Youkilis - Average
Crisp - Average
Drew- Average

BLUE JAYS
Zaun - Average
Overbay - Good
Hill - Average
Clayton - Below Average
Glaus - Great
Johnson - Good
Wells - Great
Rios - Great
Thomas - Good

Its a bit too early for all of this stuff, but its fun.

sedated
02-14-2007, 05:09 PM
the dodgers and padres will both suck

sedated
02-14-2007, 05:10 PM
Yankees piching admittedly a ?, but that lineup is tough to outscore.

which worked out so well in last year's playoffs

RJ
02-14-2007, 05:11 PM
Yep, Mientkewicz is a Yankeee. Once again KC's best player ends up in New York :)

Buck
02-14-2007, 05:22 PM
the dodgers and padres will both suck

Perhaps, but I assure you they will be better than the Royals.

RJ
02-14-2007, 05:30 PM
which worked out so well in last year's playoffs

What happened to them in last year's playoffs has nothing to do with the coming regular season, does it?

Easy 6
02-14-2007, 05:44 PM
Daaa Bulse...oh wait......nevermind.

Hound333
02-14-2007, 06:06 PM
Yep, Mientkewicz is a Yankeee. Once again KC's best player ends up in New York :)

I don't know whats worse, that one of our players is in NY again or that I had to pause and consider if Mientkewicz was our best player last year.

Coach
02-14-2007, 06:17 PM

False. Teahen is KC's best player in 2006.

My picks....

AL
East: Red Sox
Central: Indians
West: Angels
WC: Blue Jays

NL
East: Mets
Central: Cubs
West: Dodgers
WC: Cardinals

RJ
02-14-2007, 06:44 PM
False. Teahen is KC's best player in 2006. :

Coach, that was a joke. Maybe not a funny one, but a joke nonetheless.

My poker face prevails even when I use the smiley.

Coach
02-14-2007, 06:50 PM
:

Coach, that was a joke. Maybe not a funny one, but a joke nonetheless.

My poker face prevails even when I use the smiley.

Ah, my fault. I'm just tired and that my sarcasm detecter is turned off for the night. Normally, I'd pick that right up by the smiley, but again, I'm tired.

Heh.

L.A. Chieffan
02-15-2007, 02:36 PM
Have you seen the Dodgers staff this year. Please, nobody is going to be able to hang with them in the West.
As far as the playoffs go that's a different story. Kinda like the Chiefs

Buck
02-15-2007, 03:15 PM
Have you seen the Dodgers staff this year. Please, nobody is going to be able to hang with them in the West.
As far as the playoffs go that's a different story. Kinda like the Chiefs

Doesnt look that great to me.

Lets quickly compare the Dodgers staff and the Padres staff with last years numbers in Parentheses

Dodgers:

Jason Schmidt (32 G, 11-9, 3.59 ERA, 180 Ks)
Derek Lowe (35 G, 16-8, 3.63 ERA, 123 Ks)
Brad Penny (34 G, 16-9, 4.33 ERA, 148 Ks)
Randy Wolf (12 G, 4-0, 5.56 ERA, 44 Ks)
Hong-Chih Kuo (28 G, 1-5, 4.22 ERA, 71 Ks)

Padres:

Jake Peavy (32 G, 11-14, 4.09 ERA, 215 Ks)
Chris Young (31 G, 11-5, 3.46 ERA, 164 Ks)
Greg Maddux (34 G, 15-14, 4.20 ERA, 117 Ks)
David Wells (13 G, 3-5, 4.42 ERA, 38 Ks)
Clay Hensley (37 G, 11-12, 3.71 ERA, 122 Ks)

Now I would say the Padres staff is as good if not better than the Dodgers, especially if Peavy has a good year next year.

L.A. Chieffan
02-15-2007, 03:48 PM
Wolf's stats are a little inflated from last year due injuries and pitching in that bandbox in Philly, and the 5th starter hasn't been set yet. Could be Kuo or Billingsly (who has better numbers than Kuo but didn't pitch as effective down the strech).
And we haven't even talked about the bullpen yet which should be just as strong.
If you told me I had to pick one staff in baseball it'd be tough to make a better argument than LA

Buck
02-15-2007, 03:51 PM
Wolf's stats are a little inflated from last year due injuries and pitching in that bandbox in Philly, and the 5th starter hasn't been set yet. Could be Kuo or Billingsly (who has better numbers than Kuo but didn't pitch as effective down the strech).
And we haven't even talked about the bullpen yet which should be just as strong.
If you told me I had to pick one staff in baseball it'd be tough to make a better argument than LA

The Padres have had the best bullpen in baseball for the last 3 years (they actually were statistically 2nd best last year to Detroit). I doubt there will be any difference this year.

88TG88
02-15-2007, 03:51 PM
billingsley will be really good. its just a matter of time it could be this year

Fruit Ninja
02-15-2007, 03:52 PM
**** the Dodger haters. GO DODGERS.

Buck
02-15-2007, 03:53 PM
billingsley will be really good. its just a matter of time it could be this year

I forgot about that guy. He was a Padre killer last year.

Fruit Ninja
02-15-2007, 03:54 PM
Maddux is also a year older. He' will only be worse next year. Padres and Dodgers will compete next year, its going to be a close race again. I am a Dodger fan, so **** the padres.

88TG88
02-15-2007, 03:54 PM
we also have greg miller and the "bull" broxton coming up probably in the pen. im not worried about the pen to much

Buck
02-15-2007, 03:58 PM
Maddux is also a year older. He' will only be worse next year. Padres and Dodgers will compete next year, its going to be a close race again. I am a Dodger fan, so **** the padres.

Okay, well at least I have most of the nation on my side when I say **** the Dodgers.

Stewie
02-15-2007, 04:00 PM
I don't have enough time to study all the teams. I'm just hoping the Royals can win 80. With the new acquisitions and Gordon coming up I think we're going to be much better. If we can get that head-case Greinke back in the mix it'll be even better. 80-82... .500 anyone?

L.A. Chieffan
02-15-2007, 04:00 PM
Okay, well at least I have most of the nation on my side when I say **** the Dodgers.
Padres = :ZZZ:
Nobody gives a crap.

Buck
02-15-2007, 04:01 PM
Padres = :ZZZ:
Nobody gives a crap.

Except for me, and thats what counts.

L.A. Chieffan
02-15-2007, 04:02 PM
I don't have enough time to study all the teams. I'm just hoping the Royals can win 80. With the new acquisitions and Gordon coming up I think we're going to be much better. If we can get that head-case Greinke back in the mix it'll be even better. 80-82... .500 anyone?
It'd be nice to see the Royals competitve again, but there's just too much going against em. Especially since they're in the most competitve division in baseball. The Indians are a lot of peoples sleeper this year,

Frazod
02-15-2007, 04:02 PM
Cardinals repeat.

You all continue to be my bitches. :p

Buck
02-15-2007, 04:03 PM
Cardinals repeat.

:mad: :banghead: :cuss: :banghead: :mad:

L.A. Chieffan
02-15-2007, 04:05 PM
Cardinals repeat.

Lucky ass you mean. If it wasn't for little pipsquek Eckstein the Cards woulda been rolled. Oh well woulda coulda shoulda there's no way they're repeating.

Stewie
02-15-2007, 04:05 PM
It'd be nice to see the Royals competitve again, but there's just too much going against em. Especially since they're in the most competitve division in baseball. The Indians are a lot of peoples sleeper this year,

I know. I'm such a homer, but dang it we have to turn things around sooner or later. I'm hoping for sooner.

Stewie
02-15-2007, 04:08 PM
BTW. Is Hochevar even in the mix for the major league roster? I know he had shoulder problems, but they said it was minor. Haven't heard anything in a while.

Pestilence
02-15-2007, 04:09 PM
I'm gonna have to go with the Dodgers.

L.A. Chieffan
02-15-2007, 04:10 PM
I'm gonna have to go with the Dodgers.
We have a winner.

Pestilence
02-15-2007, 04:11 PM
What do I win? A Chiefs playoff victory?

Buck
02-15-2007, 04:13 PM
Look for the Padres to ThreePeat as NL West Champs this year.

88TG88
02-15-2007, 04:40 PM
dont listen to kaeding hes still pissed about this
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i279/88tg88/nomah2.jpg

Buck
02-15-2007, 04:46 PM
I think you are still pissed about 1996

1996: Series Sweep Wins NL West

With three games to play in the 1996 season, few gave the Padres much of a chance to catch the rival Dodgers, who were ahead by two games in the 1996 NL West standings. True, the two teams would conclude the season by playing each other, but the games would be played at Dodger Stadium and Los Angeles needed just one win to seal the division. But thanks to a tenth-inning double by Ken Caminiti, the Padres took the opener 5-2; in the second game, it was Tony Gwynn who played hero, singling in two eighth-inning runs to snap a 2-2 tie. Not to be outdone, younger brother Chris Gwynn broke a scoreless deadlock with a two-run double in the eleventh inning of the final game, wrapping up an improbable division title for the Padres.

MIAdragon
02-15-2007, 05:16 PM
I question both the Sox and Yanks pitching rotations, the Yankees Rotation is just flat out old, while the Red Sox's (sp?) Is a mixture of old (Schilling, Wakefield), unproven (Matsuzaka, Papelbon) and a huge question mark (Beckett).

The Yankees have as far as I know Mussina (old), Pettite(old), Wang (who will proabably have a sophomore slump), Kei Igawa (needs to prove himself in the MLB), and Carl Pavano (older, injury prone)

Let me fist say Im a Sox fan and have been since I was 9.

The Sox have the best rotation in the AL E and Id say the MLB. If anything its going to be the pen that gets the sox.

As for the east title its going to come down to the Sox and yanks, the jays will hang around till the AS break then fade.

Simplex3
02-15-2007, 05:26 PM
I predict that baseball will continue to suck.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-15-2007, 05:29 PM
I predict the Royals will break my heart again... by June... leaving me again to wonder why I keep hoping.

L.A. Chieffan
02-15-2007, 05:30 PM
I predict that baseball will continue to suck.
Evil Elmo sucks

Simplex3
02-15-2007, 05:34 PM
Evil Elmo sucks the blood out of his bitches.
FYP.

Coach
02-15-2007, 05:58 PM

Not necessarly, especially pitching in Petco Park. That is a pitcher's ball-park. Hitters hate that ballpark with a passion.

L.A. Chieffan
02-15-2007, 06:00 PM
Not necessarly, especially pitching in Petco Park. That is a pitcher's ball-park. Hitters hate that ballpark with a passion.
So do Padres hitters.

Buck
02-15-2007, 06:01 PM
So do Padres hitters.

Of course they do, except they play 81 games a year there, so they have the advantage over the visiting teams.

MIAdragon
02-15-2007, 06:04 PM

dunno among stadiums Petco ranked in the middle of the pack in HRs at #16

penchief
02-15-2007, 06:04 PM
[The Yankees have as far as I know Mussina (old), Pettite(old), Wang (who will proabably have a sophomore slump), Kei Igawa (needs to prove himself in the MLB), and Carl Pavano (older, injury prone)

The Yankees pitching is at a crossroads but in a very good way. Bringing back Pettitte was a good thing. Not only is he a lefty and a proven winner, but he excels under pressure and in big games. He's a true yankee.

Mussina is the most underappreciated pitcher in baseball, IMO. When he's completely healthy, he has four or five go-to pitches, all of which are thrown at variable speeds. When he's really on, he's an artist. Granted, he's getting old but in my opinion he's still better than 80% of the league.

Wang is not going to have a sophomore slump. He's a hard throwing sinker-baller with toughness and smarts. He's perfect for yankee stadium.

The rest of the starting rotation is questionable but they have so much young talent that is on the threshold. That young talent will fill out the bullpen and starting rotation. They are loaded with young arms right now with probably three or four that will make the roster by season's end, IMO. Particularly Philip Hughes and Humberto Sanchez for the rotation and another two or three for the pen.

CoMoChief
02-15-2007, 06:10 PM
ALE - BoSox
ALW - Angels
ALC - Twinkies
ALWC - Yankees

NLE - Mets
NLW - Padres
NLC - Cards
NLWC - Cubs

Buck
02-15-2007, 06:11 PM
Wang is not going to have a sophomore slump. He's a hard throwing sinker-baller with toughness and smarts. He's perfect for yankee stadium.
When I said that he'd have a sophomore slump all I meant is that he won't have the same success as he had last year (19 wins I believe).

If I had to guess Id say he will have between 14-16 wins.

MIAdragon
02-15-2007, 06:12 PM
[
Mussina is the most underappreciated pitcher in baseball, IMO. When he's completely healthy, he has four or five go-to pitches, all of which are thrown at variable speeds. When he's really on, he's an artist. Granted, he's getting old but in my opinion he's still better than 80% of the league.

The rest of the starting rotation is questionable but they have so much young talent that is on the threshold. That young talent will fill out the bullpen and starting rotation. They are loaded with young arms right now with probably three or four that will make the roster by season's end, IMO. Particularly Philip Hughes and Humberto Sanchez for the rotation and another two or three for the pen.

Hughes needs another year in the minors. I donít see him getting called up for any amount of time.

Frazod
02-15-2007, 06:16 PM
In honor of this thread, I think I'll update my avatar.

I hope you all like my new hat. :)

Buck
02-15-2007, 06:17 PM
In honor of this thread, I think I'll update my avatar.

I hope you all like my new hat. :)

http://www.mygnr.com/bootleg/1991/StLouis/MYGNR_AXL_ROSE_ST_LOUIS_SUCKS.jpg

Frazod
02-15-2007, 06:19 PM
http://www.mygnr.com/bootleg/1991/StLouis/MYGNR_AXL_ROSE_ST_LOUIS_SUCKS.jpg

ROFL

You'll fit right in with 90% of the posters here.

Buck
02-15-2007, 06:20 PM
ROFL

You'll fit right in with 90% of the posters here.

I hate St Louis, we always cream you in the regular season and get creamed by you in the playoffs.

Frazod
02-15-2007, 06:22 PM
I hate St Louis, we always cream you in the regular season and get creamed by you in the playoffs.

Works for me. :thumb:

duncan_idaho
02-15-2007, 07:06 PM
I don't understand why so many people are high on the Cubs. Yes, they spent a lot of money, but look at what it was spent on:

Alfonso Soriano. OK, so he's a great home run hitter. But he doesn't get on base, he's going to be a disaster in center field, and he hasn't exactly been a great clutch hitter, either.

Mark DeRosa. Last year was his only "full" season as a starter, and he set (by far) his career highs. Look at his splits for the last few months of the season - he got worn down and overexposed. Chicago will be calling for his head by July.

Ted Lilly. This guy will lead the league in home runs allowed. They'd be better off trotting out any one of their young pitchers. If he doesn't lead the league in HRA

I've no doubt that the Cubs will lead the N.L. (if not the world) in solo home runs, but they don't have a reliable starter beyond Zambrano, the defense is going to be suspect, and there are questions in the bullpen. This pitching will struggle (again), Mark Prior and Kerry Wood will get injured (again), and the offense will be overly reliant on the home run (again). The Cubs were terrible in close games last year - you don't solve that problem by adding a bunch of high strikeout, high home run guys. You solve it by adding people who find ways to get on base.

But enough about the Cubs...

I think the Royals win about 75 games... and the future starts to shine through. From what I hear, Hochevar will get a chance to win a job out of Spring Training. He and headcase (Greinke) have the talent to be top-tier guys... let's hope it starts happening in 07.

Frazod
02-15-2007, 08:18 PM
Wood is ALREADY INJURED. Heard it on the radio tonight, Wood fell getting out of a hot tub and injured the muscles in his chest and stomach.

No, I'm not making this up.

The injuries are minor (supposedly), but now he won't be throwing for a couple of days (at least).

Now I'm waiting to hear if Prior dislocates his elbow while wiping his ass.

And Pinella has clearly lost his mind. In the paper today, he talked about wanting the team to have a "Cubbie swagger." He says that's an attitude of quiet confidence. You can tell he's yet to manage a game for them.

F#cking Cubs. They suck, but they're funny. ROFL

thurman merman
02-15-2007, 10:59 PM
the padres suck.

Thig Lyfe
02-15-2007, 11:00 PM
Royals are going all the way.

Buck
02-15-2007, 11:20 PM
the padres suck.
You suck.

88TG88
02-15-2007, 11:51 PM
the padres suck.
thats a pretty legitimate prediction

tk13
02-15-2007, 11:58 PM
I have no faith in the Cubs. I probably wouldn't be any less surprised to see someone like the Reds win that division over the Cubs. The Cubs pitching still scares me. The Reds might actually have as good of a 1-2 punch as anyone in the division now with Arroyo and Harang, their GM actually seems to be trying to build a team the right way. Actually the Brewers might have the best looking staff on paper if Sheets can stay healthy. Sheets-Capuano-Suppan is probably about as good as any other team's top 3.

POND_OF_RED
02-16-2007, 01:09 AM
Cardinals won't touch .500 this year with there rotation the way it looks. Edmonds and Rolen have lost a step and Pujols can't carry the whole team all year. I predict they finish 4th in the central.

Count Zarth
02-16-2007, 01:26 AM
The Rangers will go all the way. We dumped Buck Showalter. It's OUR TIME.

cookster50
02-16-2007, 08:09 AM
What do I win? A Chiefs playoff victory?
Apparently you win a blow from a couple of the posters here.

Chief Chief
02-16-2007, 08:36 AM
AL East: Red Sox
AL Central: Tigers
AL West: Angels
AL Wild Card: Yankees

NL East: Mets
NL Central: Astros
NL West: Padres
NL Wild Card: Cubs

AL Playoffs: Angels & Red Sox
NL Playoffs: Mets & Cubs

AL Champs: Angels
NL Champs: Cubs

WS Champs: Cubs

Cubs finally get the (rally) monkey off their back.
The White Sox and Red Sox have recently had their moments of long-awaited glory so now it's the Cubs' turn.

thurman merman
02-16-2007, 05:12 PM
[QUOTE=Chief Chief]
WS Champs: Cubs
QUOTE]

ROFL

Pestilence
02-16-2007, 05:44 PM
Apparently you win a blow from a couple of the posters here.

Sweet....as long as that doesn't make me gay. Oops....wrong thread.