PDA

View Full Version : Hearing Aids

Mr. Laz
02-15-2007, 10:29 AM
anyone use one ... know someone that uses one?

Have a parent that needs one but doesn't want to get one because they think that they suck.

too much distortion ... static ... amplifies everything which drowns out the voices.

surely there are better ones out there now that don't suck.

experience/advice for one that is good with a reasonable price.

Thanks

Bowser
02-15-2007, 10:30 AM
What?

Stewie
02-15-2007, 10:32 AM

Jenson71
02-15-2007, 10:32 AM
My grandpa has one. He was shot in the ear twice in Europe, so remember that guy in Saving Private Ryan who was yelling cause he couldn't hear? That was my grandpa. The actor even looked like him.

All I know is that sometimes, the high pitched thing will go on, and we have to tell him, "hey grandpa, your hearing aid is going crazy"

Rooster
02-15-2007, 10:45 AM
I just saw this on the news two nights ago. I guess it is a digital hearing aid that is better than the older models. Looks expensive though. $2700

http://www.ksn.com/news/health/5808316.html

BigRedChief
02-15-2007, 10:48 AM
I have years of personal experiece with hearing aids. I'm up to speed on all the latest technology and options. Check your pm

Gonzo
02-15-2007, 10:52 AM
huh?

Frazod
02-15-2007, 11:13 AM
Hope you've got the scratch to pay out of pocket, because it seems most healthcare plans don't cover them; we just switched from Blue Cross to Humana, and both specifically exclude hearing aids.

Which sucks for me on a personal level, because I know the day is coming that I'll need one.

Mr. Laz
02-15-2007, 11:17 AM
Hope you've got the scratch to pay out of pocket, because it seems most healthcare plans don't cover them; we just switched from Blue Cross to Humana, and both specifically exclude hearing aids.

Which sucks for me on a personal level, because I know the day is coming that I'll need one.
ya ... that's why i'm looking into it.

my Ma wouldn't want to pay for it ... she'll just "live with it"

if i can find one that works then i'll be getting it for her.

Fish
02-15-2007, 11:18 AM

Same situation here... Humana will pay for part of the hearing tests, but won't touch the hearing aids themselves. Which is the most expensive part...

Bowser
02-15-2007, 11:22 AM
Same situation here... Humana will pay for part of the hearing tests, but won't touch the hearing aids themselves. Which is the most expensive part...

Yeah, go figure.

Frazod
02-15-2007, 11:24 AM
F#cking insurance companies. You pay out the ass forever, and the minute you want something back, they act like you're stealing from them. :shake:

Rain Man
02-15-2007, 12:37 PM
My grandpa has one. He was shot in the ear twice in Europe, so remember that guy in Saving Private Ryan who was yelling cause he couldn't hear? That was my grandpa. The actor even looked like him.

All I know is that sometimes, the high pitched thing will go on, and we have to tell him, "hey grandpa, your hearing aid is going crazy"

I bet he was just shot once, and the second ear was an exit wound.

htismaqe
02-15-2007, 12:42 PM
F#cking insurance companies. You pay out the ass forever, and the minute you want something back, they act like you're stealing from them. :shake:

What I like the best is when they send me the bill for an emergency room visit, stating that they don't cover non-emergency medical expenses...

Coach
02-19-2007, 10:15 PM
Wow, sorry I was unavailable during the weekend. I'm one that does wear hearing aids on both ears, as Phil would collaberate my story here.

Laz, you'll need to find out what type of a hearing aid that your parent need, in terms of how much hearing loss they suffered by having a audiologist exam. How they do on their exam, will determine what type of a hearing aid they need. There are 3 kinds of hearing aids, from my own experience/knowledge.

1. In/mostly in the canal (ITC)
2. In the ear. (ITE)
3. Behind the ear (BTE)

The first two are usually mild to moderate hearing losses while the BTE is for the severe to profound hearing loss. I use the BTE, since both of my ears are borderline severe/profound.

While you can buy them digital hearing aids from most hearing aid companies, they do rape you hard for your money. I believe they go around 2,000-2,500+

I got mine from E-bay, for around $400. This is the one that I bought, and it works perfectly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Siemens-Infinity-Pro-100-Digital-BTE-Hearing-Aids-Aid_W0QQitemZ160086756960QQihZ006QQcategoryZ37821QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The person that sells those hearing aids also sells hearing aid batteries and all that.

I can understand the possibility of embarrasment that "I don't need a hearing aid" and what not, and that's perfectly normal. It took me awhile to get used to it, but at the long run, it's a perfect situation for me to be in.

I don't need to drop in $10,000+ for surgery, medical bills, etc etc, and I can easily shut off my hearing aids so that I don't have to hear some dumb f**kstick speaking crap that I don't want to hear. :D

jidar
02-19-2007, 10:22 PM
Digital hearing aids are a lot better than the old ones. They can be set to emphasize speech and tone down background noise at the flip of a switch (or automatically).

Mr. Laz
02-19-2007, 10:22 PM
Wow, sorry I was unavailable during the weekend. I'm one that does wear hearing aids on both ears, as Phil would collaberate my story here.

Laz, you'll need to find out what type of a hearing aid that your parent need, in terms of how much hearing loss they suffered by having a audiologist exam. How they do on their exam, will determine what type of a hearing aid they need. There are 3 kinds of hearing aids, from my own experience/knowledge.

1. In/mostly in the canal (ITC)
2. In the ear. (ITE)
3. Behind the ear (BTE)

The first two are usually mild to moderate hearing losses while the BTE is for the severe to profound hearing loss. I use the BTE, since both of my ears are borderline severe/profound.

While you can buy them digital hearing aids from most hearing aid companies, they do rape you hard for your money. I believe they go around 2,000-2,500+

I got mine from E-bay, for around $400. This is the one that I bought, and it works perfectly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Siemens-Infinity-Pro-100-Digital-BTE-Hearing-Aids-Aid_W0QQitemZ160086756960QQihZ006QQcategoryZ37821QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The person that sells those hearing aids also sells hearing aid batteries and all that.

I can understand the possibility of embarrasment that "I don't need a hearing aid" and what not, and that's perfectly normal. It took me awhile to get used to it, but at the long run, it's a perfect situation for me to be in.

I don't need to drop in $10,000+ for surgery, medical bills, etc etc, and I can easily shut off my hearing aids so that I don't have to hear some dumb f**kstick speaking crap that I don't want to hear. :D
thanks ... i believe she's moderate loss on one side. Mild on the other

BigRedChief
02-19-2007, 10:26 PM
Coach may have found a good dealer on Ebay/the internet but be very cautious about that option. The hearing aid business is loaded with shysters and con men.

Coach
02-19-2007, 10:28 PM
thanks ... i believe she's moderate loss on one side. Mild on the other

If she is moderate and mild, then I'd suggest getting both taken care of, so that way, it can balance out. I been on the side where I only wore one hearing aid on one ear, which neglects the other ear, and I usually have to listen alot on my right side more than my left, becuase of it.

Now that I got both aids, and got settled in, I can rely on both ears.

Coach
02-19-2007, 10:30 PM
Coach may have found a good dealer on Ebay/the internet but be very cautious about that option. The hearing aid business is loaded with shysters and con men.

I can agree with you on the hearing aid business is loaded with shysters and con men, but this gentleman is actually one of the hearing aid companies out in California, and I'm guessing that the companies made way too much hearing aids, that they're just desperate enough to get any profit in return, especially independent/private companies.

One thing good about this, that the hearing aid does have it's normal 1 year warranty, which is good.

Also, all you have to watch is that person's rating, which is a 99.8% and the guy has been doing this since 1998, which tell me, as a consumer, that he does his business.

milkman
02-19-2007, 10:35 PM
HEY COACH, HOW ARE YOU DOING?

I know the day is coming when I'll need a hearing aid.

Coach
02-19-2007, 10:36 PM
HEY COACH, HOW ARE YOU DOING?

I know the day is coming when I'll need a hearing aid.

I'm hard of hearing. Not blind, mind you. :p

milkman
02-19-2007, 10:38 PM
I'm hard of hearing. Not blind, mind you. :p

What'd you say?

I took off my glasses.

Coach
02-19-2007, 10:46 PM
What'd you say?

I took off my glasses.

Heh.

http://www.babylonvillage.com/shooting_glasses/cmt/ranger-cmt-sporter-shooting-glasses.jpg

Here ya go my friend. :p

unothadeal
02-19-2007, 11:01 PM
Pardon me?