PDA

View Full Version : Concert prices

Guru
02-15-2007, 11:30 PM
What is it with artists, music industry, producers that they think $100 tickets are reasonable?

The escalation in price of this industry is crazy. I am so sick of this. You can't even go to see good groups anymore without breaking your own bank.

I think it is great what Ozzy is doing even though I believe it will still benefit him well in the end. I don't like Ozzy but I would like to see more artists payback to the fans in some way.

|Zach|
02-15-2007, 11:32 PM
Seems shows that expensive are pretty minimal.

Is there a certain one you are referring too?

Bugeater
02-15-2007, 11:33 PM
Supply and demand.

Guru
02-15-2007, 11:37 PM
Seems shows that expensive are pretty minimal.

Is there a certain one you are referring too?

I probably should have said $50 as that seems excessive to me as well.

I am a huge Chicago fan and they are having their 40th anniversary convention in Vegas this May. They are asking $100 for the fan club tickets. Granted they are in the first 8 rows but I could care less about how close I am.

I know there will be cheaper tickets available (not announced yet) but just the fact that Chicago has jumped into the $100 ticket binge pisses me off. I may love them but I also know that they are not big enough to command that price either.

I went to see U2 back in 2001 and paid $120 for that ticket and said I would never do that again for anybody.

I don't care how big you are, $100 is just plain ass stupid.

|Zach|
02-15-2007, 11:41 PM
I probably should have said $50 as that seems excessive to me as well.

I am a huge Chicago fan and they are having their 40th anniversary convention in Vegas this May. They are asking $100 for the fan club tickets. Granted they are in the first 8 rows but I could care less about how close I am.

I know there will be cheaper tickets available (not announced yet) but just the fact that Chicago has jumped into the $100 ticket binge pisses me off. I may love them but I also know that they are not big enough to command that price either.

I went to see U2 back in 2001 and paid $120 for that ticket and said I would never do that again for anybody.

I saw Chicago a few years back, really enjoyed it.

Bugeater
02-15-2007, 11:44 PM
If people are willing to pay it, it's stupid for them not to charge that.

Guru
02-15-2007, 11:46 PM
I saw Chicago a few years back, really enjoyed it.
I love them. Great musicians. Wish they would change up their set list though. They play the same songs every year. They have over 40 hits and yet the play the same 18 songs every year.

I miss the old days when groups would play without an opening act and play for 3+ hours. Chicago did a concert at Sandstone in 87 that was 3.5 hours long with a 10 minute intermission and played just about every hit song they ever did and a few only real fans would recognize too.

Tickets were $28. Now it is $100 dollars and 18 or less songs.

Guru
02-15-2007, 11:46 PM
If people are willing to pay it, it's stupid for them not to charge that.
So stupid is is stupid does then.

SLAG
02-15-2007, 11:47 PM
Tom Petty Puts on an excellent show but for some strange reason i dont remember the price :shrug: but i KNOW it was not over 100..

Bugeater
02-15-2007, 11:50 PM
So stupid is is stupid does then.
I suppose so. I feel your pain though, since we got the new arena here we're getting big-name acts again, and most of them are too damn expensive for me to go to. Part of the problem is that ticket brokers end up with most of the tix so you get that extra ass-raping on top of the high face-value prices.

Guru
02-15-2007, 11:53 PM
I suppose so. I feel your pain though, since we got the new arena here we're getting big-name acts again, and most of them are too damn expensive for me to go to. Part of the problem is that ticket brokers end up with most of the tix so you get that extra ass-raping on top of the high face-value prices.

Yeah. IT is not just the the groups. Ticketmaster needs to be burned to the ground.

Now watch them get a fire in the facility and they will look for me.

Joie
02-15-2007, 11:58 PM
Yeah. IT is not just the the groups. Ticketmaster needs to be burned to the ground.

Now watch them get a fire in the facility and they will look for me.
You were with us the whole time. I swear.

DaFace
02-15-2007, 11:59 PM
I just got back from a Shins concert for $20. :p

Of course, I have my doubts there are many of you who are into them. Maybe you all just like expensive artists.

Joie
02-16-2007, 12:01 AM
I just got back from a Shins concert for $20. :p

Of course, I have my doubts there are my of you who are into them. Maybe you all just like expensive artists.
Going to a concert tommorrow night. $46 for two tix including the ass-raping from Ticketmaster.

Bugeater
02-16-2007, 12:07 AM
Going to a concert tommorrow night. $46 for two tix including the ass-raping from Ticketmaster.
TM only gets you for the service charge, that's not the problem. It's TM that allows brokers to purchase large blocks of tickets online, lessening the chance for the average guy to get a ticket at face-value.

Guru
02-16-2007, 12:16 AM
You were with us the whole time. I swear.
Thanks. ROFL

Nzoner
02-16-2007, 02:10 AM
Interesting,I just got back from playing cards and the guy's house we were at tonight pulled out a box of old concert posters from the early 70's of shows at the Cowtown Ballroom.

We were commenting how the average price on the posters was $3.50 -$4.00 for the likes of Alice Cooper,Dr. John,Seals & Croft,Frank Zappa,etc.

Guru
02-16-2007, 02:12 AM
Interesting,I just got back from playing cards and the guy's house we were at tonight pulled out a box of old concert posters from the early 70's of shows at the Cowtown Ballroom.

We were commenting how the average price on the posters was $3.50 -$4.00 for the likes of Alice Cooper,Dr. John,Seals & Croft,Frank Zappa,etc.

Oh the good old days.:shake:

SPchief
02-16-2007, 02:13 AM
Tom Petty Puts on an excellent show but for some strange reason i dont remember the price :shrug: but i KNOW it was not over 100..

Went to a Tom Petty show a coulple of years ago in St. Louis, pretty sure I paid 35 dollars for lawn tickets. Great show.

ZepSinger
02-16-2007, 06:25 AM
I remember seeing Grank Funk Railroad and REO Speedwagon in 1972 (GF was HUGE at the time). 5 bucks. 5 DOLLARS. Concerts were cheap back then and we loved it! /*grumpy old man mode off

Z

jidar
02-16-2007, 06:34 AM
I get em back by downloading every single song I listen to.
I haven't bought a CD in close to 10 years.

JonesCrusher
02-16-2007, 06:47 AM

I hear you. I still remember the first time I paid more than !0$ for a ticket. It was for Ozzy, Ted Nugent, Motley Crue, Accept and Night Ranger.

JimNasium
02-16-2007, 06:48 AM
The best music festival that I've ever been to is free. They make their money from food and beverage sales and from apparel sales. They also have some major sponsors on the hook. Of course it is a not-for-profit group and it takes tons of volunteer hours to pull off a three day event like they do. It helps when you take the big promoters and record companies out of the loop.

BigRedChief
02-16-2007, 06:51 AM
It's the touring costs that have skyrocketed. More complex stage shows. More "perks". More demands. back stage stuff. 4 star hotels at least. Now you have to have union laborers and riggers in each town.

Also how bands have made their money has changed. It use to be touring was to sell records so you would make money. Now the tour is a big part of their revenue.

munkey
02-16-2007, 07:15 AM
Korn & Mud Vayne $35.00

NIN & Bauhaus $35.00

RHCP -FREE....hehehe

Rob Zombie - 37.50 - best show by far

Saliva - 17.50 OK show...kinda past there prime

My daughter paid freakn 90.00 per ticket to see George Strait...in addition Faith Hill Tim McGraws show was 110.00 per ticket.

Glad I'm not a CW fan....

The Rob Zombie and Saliva show was in a small venue (max cap 1,000) and there's something to be said about getting that close no matter where you sit or stand. Just fun....

JimNasium
02-16-2007, 07:17 AM
Korn & Mud Vayne $35.00

NIN & Bauhaus $35.00

RHCP -FREE....hehehe

Rob Zombie - 37.50 - best show by far

Saliva - 17.50 OK show...kinda past there prime

My daughter paid freakn 90.00 per ticket to see George Strait...in addition Faith Hill Tim McGraws show was 110.00 per ticket.

Glad I'm not a CW fan....

The Rob Zombie and Saliva show was in a small venue (max cap 1,000) and there's something to be said about getting that close no matter where you sit or stand. Just fun....

I'm guessing that the CW shows can get away with charging that much because those artists appeal to a larger audience.

munkey
02-16-2007, 07:45 AM
I'm guessing that the CW shows can get away with charging that much because those artists appeal to a larger audience.

Well being in "cowboy country" I'd say you are correct.

But 110.00 a ticket...And this for the nose bleed section. No thanks.

JimNasium
02-16-2007, 07:49 AM
Well being in "cowboy country" I'd say you are correct.

But 110.00 a ticket...And this for the nose bleed section. No thanks.
I agree. I'm not a fan of "new" CW at all and I had an opportunity to see George Strait for free. The music I listen to doesn't draw 50,000 fans to see a single act anyhow with a few minor exceptions.

munkey
02-16-2007, 07:57 AM
I agree. I'm not a fan of "new" CW at all and I had an opportunity to see George Strait for free. The music I listen to doesn't draw 50,000 fans to see a single act anyhow with a few minor exceptions.

Did you get "voodoo chile" from that SRV concert in canada where they have the name of the song written on poster board wrong? I still laugh when I see that...voodoo chile....heh

Fat Elvis
02-16-2007, 08:03 AM
Did you get "voodoo chile" from that SRV concert in canada where they have the name of the song written on poster board wrong? I still laugh when I see that...voodoo chile....heh

Voodoo Chile is originally a Jimi Hendrix song....

JimNasium
02-16-2007, 08:09 AM
Voodoo Chile is actually more of a long, jam version of Voodoo Child. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voodoo_Chile

I prefer Jimi's version but still love what SRV did with it.

#####Edit######

I actually got that backwards. Voodoo Child (Slight Return) is a shortened version of Voodoo Chile. :redface:

JimNasium
02-16-2007, 08:10 AM
Voodoo Chile is originally a Jimi Hendrix song....
Yep, it's on Electric Ladyland.

StcChief
02-16-2007, 09:05 AM
Go watch a bar band if you can't afford it.

Guru
02-22-2007, 05:11 PM
MGM finally put tickets up for non fan club members. They are charging $100 for all tickets front to back for Chicago.

That is insane. Guess I will be waiting for them to tour with America in OKC again since they never come to KC anymore.

Bob Dole
02-22-2007, 05:19 PM
Go watch a bar band if you can't afford it.

Headed to watch one (http://www.myspace.com/worthlessdave) in about 45 minutes. And then go see another one (http://www.southaustinjugband.com/) a couple of sets later.

Also headed to a 1600 seat venue on Sunday to see Hinder, Finger 11 and Black Stone Cherry for a whopping $27.50. (Which is less than Bob Dole will spend on the $5 cover and beer tonight.)

There are plenty of quality, affordable live music options if you stop sucking off the hind tit of Clear Channel and look around.