PDA

View Full Version : Edwards Names Smith, Bicknell and Patullo to Coaching Staff

Direckshun
02-16-2007, 11:51 AM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/02/16/edwards_names_smith_bicknell_and_patullo_to_coaching_staff/

Edwards Names Smith, Bicknell and Patullo to Coaching Staff
Feb 16, 2007, 12:43:46 PM

Chiefs head coach Herm Edwards announced on Friday that he as added three individuals to his coaching staff. Cedric Smith will serve as the strength and conditioning coach, while Bob Bicknell will be as the assistant offensive line coach and Kevin Patullo joins the Chiefs as the offensive quality control coach. In addition, two coaches will have new or additional responsibilities in 2007. Dick Curl will serve as assistant head coach/quarterbacks coach and Michael Ketchum will work as a defensive assistant after originally joining the club as an offensive assistant/quality control coach in 2006.

Smith will serve as the Chiefs strength and conditioning coach after working the past six years (2001-06) as an assistant strength coach for the Denver Broncos. Smith enjoyed a seven-year NFL career as a fullback, playing in 72 games with Minnesota (’90), New Orleans (’91), Washington (’94-95) and Arizona (’96-98). He finished his career with 40 carries for 100 yards (2.5 avg.) with two TDs, 20 receptions for 141 yards (7.1 avg.) with two scores and five kickoff returns for 83 yards (16.6 avg.). Smith had his finest NFL season in ‘94 with Washington when he played in 14 games (eight starts), carrying the ball 10 times for 48 yards and catching 15 passes for 118 yards with a score. During the ‘95 NFL campaign he was a teammate of Chiefs QB Trent Green with the Redskins.

Smith originally entered the NFL as a fifth-round draft choice of the Minnesota Vikings in ‘90. The University of Florida product was a three-year starter for the Gators, paving the way for RB Emmitt Smith, the NFL’s all-time leading rusher. Prior to enrolling at Florida, Smith was named All-Alabama as a fullback at Enterprise High School in Enterprise, Alabama.

Bicknell owns 14 seasons of coaching experience and was named the Chiefs assistant offensive line coach after tutoring the offensive line at Temple in 2006. Prior to joining the Owls, he served as the offensive coordinator for the Cologne Centurions of NFL Europe for two seasons (2004-05). He joined the Berlin Thunder in 2000 as the offensive line coach before being promoted to offensive coordinator for the next three campaigns (2001-03). During his time with the Thunder the club won back-to-back World Bowl titles in 2001-02 as his unit led the league in total offense in 2002. He began his tenure in NFL Europe as the offensive line coach for the Frankfurt Galaxy (1998-99), working under head coach Dick Curl.

The Hollinston, Massachusetts native started his coaching career at Boston University where he coached the safeties (’93), running backs (’94) and linebackers (’95-97). He was a three-year letterwinner as a tight end at Boston College. Bicknell comes from a football family as his father Jack is the head coach with the Hamburg Sea Devils while his brother Jack, Jr. is the offensive line coach at Texas Tech.

Patullo joins the Chiefs as the club’s offensive quality control coach after serving as a graduate assistant with the University of Arizona the past three years (2004-06). During his time with the Wildcats he worked closely with the offensive coaching staff developing the game plan. He began his coaching career as a graduate assistant and recruiting aid at South Florida (2002-03). The New Jersey native was a three-year letterman as a quarterback and wide receiver at South Florida where he was a teammate of current Chiefs LB Kawika Mitchell.

Direckshun
02-16-2007, 11:52 AM
Quality control?

Mr. Laz
02-16-2007, 11:55 AM
so are we going for the biggest coaching staff in the league again?

htismaqe
02-16-2007, 11:56 AM
Wow, they hired somebody to control the quality of the offense. Don't want it to get too good now!

Wile_E_Coyote
Quality control?

The offensive Quantity control job was filled

htismaqe

Jobs for Friends program.

cookster50
Quality control?
Dude gets the coffee.

Reerun_KC
02-16-2007, 11:57 AM
Quality control?

Shouldn’t that be Herm's micro-management of offense coaches?

Next thing you know Hackett or Raye will be hired as "the Special Redzone Efficiency Coordinator for Field goals" coach.

One Arrowhead drive is getting more ignorant by the day...

Reerun_KC
02-16-2007, 11:59 AM

Almost feels like a "special needs" program.

Short bus anyone?

HemiEd
02-16-2007, 12:00 PM
Quality control?

Well Toyota doesn't own the patent on Quality. :D

booger
02-16-2007, 12:02 PM
http://owlsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/bicknell_bob00.html

new asst. OL coach.

Chiefnj
02-16-2007, 12:03 PM

Was it Herm or someone else who complained that DV's teams had too many assistants?

In any event, if it helps hire everyone. Hell he should call Marty's brothers.

NewChief
02-16-2007, 12:04 PM
Quality control?

That's Offensive Quality Control. He makes sure our offense isn't scoring too quickly or too often.

booger
02-16-2007, 12:04 PM
http://www.arizonaathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=8100&SPID=516&DB_OEM_ID=1600&ATCLID=66461&Q_SEASON=2006

Offense quality control coach.

Mr. Laz
02-16-2007, 12:06 PM
heh ...

i don't mind the them hiring more coaches ... whatever gets the job done.

but ........

seems like to me whenever teams start hiring all these extra people with funny titles it's because the top 3 guys aren't smart enough to get the job done. Head coach ... offensive coord ... Defensive Coord.

no amount of quality control assistants are gonna make up for a bad coordinator. In fact, i would think that a good coordinator wouldn't want a bunch of these guys getting in his way.

bad sign imo .... instead of hiring all these BS guys, you need to just hire qualified coordinators who can do it themselves.

booger
02-16-2007, 12:07 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=635

New strength coach.

htismaqe
02-16-2007, 12:10 PM
heh ...

i don't mind the them hiring more coaches ... whatever gets the job done.

but ........

seems like to me whenever teams start hiring all these extra people with funny titles it's because the top 3 guys aren't smart enough to get the job done. Head coach ... offensive coord ... Defensive Coord.

no amount of quality control assistants are gonna make up for a bad coordinator. In fact, i would think that a good coordinator wouldn't want a bunch of these guys getting in his way.

bad sign imo .... instead of hiring all these BS guys, you need to just hire qualified coordinators who can do it themselves.

I have a problem with it, because to me this looks like a bureaucracy and bureaucracies point fingers and spin their wheels -- they're NEVER effective.

Not only that, but like ChiefNJ just said, wasn't it HERM that said Vermeil had too many coaches and he wasn't gonna run things like that?

cookster50
02-16-2007, 12:12 PM
I have a problem with it, because to me this looks like a bureaucracy and bureaucracies point fingers and spin their wheels -- they're NEVER effective.

Not only that, but like ChiefNJ just said, wasn't it HERM that said Vermeil had too many coaches and he wasn't gonna run things like that?

Hey, don't worry about it. It's okaaaaaay. Everything will be okaaaaaay.

FAX
02-16-2007, 12:12 PM
What, in the name of Mr. Phobia's five hundred dollars, does an Offensive Quality Control coach do exactly?

FAX

htismaqe
02-16-2007, 12:14 PM
What, in the name of Mr. Phobia's five hundred dollars, does an Offensive Quality Control coach do exactly?

FAX

I already told you - he controls the quality of the offense.

Herm is afraid it's going to get too good.

Mr. Laz

true .........

looks to me like Herm is trying to make up for that fact that he has 2 crappy coordinators in Solari and Cunningham.

he needs to just fire them and hire new ones instead of trying to bandaid the situation with "quality control" assistants.

htismaqe
true .........

looks to me like Herm is trying to make up for that fact that he has 2 crappy coordinators in Solari and Cunningham.

he needs to just fire them and hire new ones instead of trying to bandaid the situation with "quality control" assistants.

Maybe Carl told him they were untouchable? :hmmm:

Mr. Laz
02-16-2007, 12:15 PM

an offense that is too good will destroy a defense every time.

:deevee:

Reerun_KC
02-16-2007, 12:15 PM

Or like NewChief said "That's Offensive Quality Control. He makes sure our offense isn't scoring too quickly or too often."

Pretty much sums it up!

Things really are looking up with Herm at the controls...

crazycoffey
02-16-2007, 12:16 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=635

New strength coach.

He doesn't look that tough.....

htismaqe
02-16-2007, 12:16 PM
Or like NewChief said "That's Offensive Quality Control. He makes sure our offense isn't scoring too quickly or too often."

Pretty much sums it up!

Things really are looking up with Herm at the controls...

You have to at least be laying on your back to be looking up.

We're laying face down in the dirt...

Reerun_KC
02-16-2007, 12:20 PM
You have to at least be laying on your back to be looking up.

We're laying face down in the dirt...

What was that old 2 Live Crew song? "Face down A$$ Up that is the way Herm is going to F*ck us?" so something like that?

Well as sad it is and as low as Herm is going to drag us... At least we are not Raider fans. We still have a little pride left in that fact.

booger
02-16-2007, 12:34 PM
I wonder waht the kids at soretaint illustrated have to say of this.

htismaqe
02-16-2007, 12:37 PM
I wonder waht the kids at soretaint illustrated have to say of this.

These guys are the best in the NFL at what they do, according to Nick Athan.

FAX
02-16-2007, 12:38 PM

Unquestionably, Mr. htismaqe. You are, no doubt, correct in this statement.

However, I've never heard of this posiiton and was wondering if there are other Offensive Quality Control coaches on other teams? And, if so, what are their responsibilities? Do they make sure the ball has air in it?

FAX

TrebMaxx
02-16-2007, 12:39 PM
WTF! "Michael Ketchum will work as a defensive assistant" - I think this guy should be working with the receivers. :)

booger
02-16-2007, 12:39 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/directory/
Scroll down and look under Ray Farmer.

Looks like Herm or Carl hired Herm's son Marcus as a pro personnel assistant.

Spicy McHaggis
02-16-2007, 12:41 PM
These hirings reminded me how much I would love to see Mike Singletary on the staff in any sort of way. Hell I wouldn't mind him if he became our head coach.

Chiefnj
02-16-2007, 12:42 PM
How did the Falcons do in free agency from 2002-2005?

It was Herm who criticized Vermeil for having a staff that was too large, wasn't it?

I still don't know how Joiner has a job.

booger
02-16-2007, 12:43 PM
Funny thing is that Donnie Henderson is still available. Wonder why no one has snatched him up as a DC or Secondary coach?

booger
02-16-2007, 12:45 PM
These guys are the best in the NFL at what they do, according to Nick "The Erroneous One" Athan.
Jack Harry told him so.

FAX
02-16-2007, 12:48 PM
Athan says you can't fool all the people all the time, but quite often, you can get a whole bunch of morons to pay for a premium subscription.

FAX

KC Dan
02-16-2007, 12:50 PM
Athan says you can't fool all the people all the time, but quite often, you can get a whole bunch of morons to pay for a premium subscription.

FAX
Or, work for him for nothing! ROFL

booger
02-16-2007, 12:51 PM
nick is to busy disecting film and watching tape on upcoming FA and the draft to comment on this.

booger
02-16-2007, 12:54 PM
he doesn't considder this braking noose.

FAX
02-16-2007, 12:56 PM
Well, since Mr. htismaqe chose not to provide the information, I, myself, and without any assistance whatsoever, performed a google and found out that many teams have Offensive Quality Control coaches (Bears, Cowboys, Panthers, etc.)

Apparently, they assist in some limited coaching of the skill positioins, but mainly, they review and prepare film of opponents' defenses and construct tendency reports for the offensive coordinator. So there.

FAX

HemiEd
02-16-2007, 12:57 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/directory/
Scroll down and look under Ray Farmer.

Looks like Herm or Carl hired Herm's son Marcus as a pro personnel assistant.

That is a heck of lot of staff.

booger
02-16-2007, 12:59 PM
probably average I'd guess comparred to most teams.

Ecto-I
02-16-2007, 01:06 PM
I nominate myself to be hired as the "Coaching Quality Control Coach."

booger
02-16-2007, 01:08 PM
We need more quality control of the cheerleading staff.

chagrin
02-16-2007, 01:10 PM
And in entertainment news, Moses has agreed to play the part of Charleton Heston in the story of his life

Woodrow Call
02-16-2007, 01:13 PM
Well, since Mr. htismaqe chose not to provide the information, I, myself, and without any assistance whatsoever, performed a google and found out that many teams have Offensive Quality Control coaches (Bears, Cowboys, Panthers, etc.)

Apparently, they assist in some limited coaching of the skill positioins, but mainly, they review and prepare film of opponents' defenses and construct tendency reports for the offensive coordinator. So there.

FAX

Good work Mr. Fax

HonestChieffan
02-16-2007, 01:38 PM
This is exactly what this team needed.

Pumped for the playoffs and beyond in 08.