PDA

View Full Version : Tough week

Jenson71
02-16-2007, 02:00 PM
Must of you guys think I'm a cocky young kid who's never been hit with reality. Well, you're probably right. But this week has been tough, and part of me just wants to cry.

I got a call earlier this week that said I did not get this job I've really wanted. I thought the interview went really well, and they were even looking for "males, minorities, freshmen/sophmore" and I'm two of those. So dang.

But this is the worst part, the part that makes me want to breakdown. I'm a History major, and I do love the subject. I think I'm dedicated, much more than other students.

I have an english project. The project is to do a field report on what you want to do. You have to use sources, and interviews. It seems like a great project, because I would interview my professors, and ask them questions that I would like to know the answers of.

So I make an appointment with my U.S. History to 1877 professor. He's a good guy, has good lectures. He even has a picture of Bob Dylan in his office. I wait outside his office for an hour because he's talking to some other kid.

I ask him the questions, and about 2/3 through he says that these are really annoying questions. I'm pretty taken aback, because I thought the interview was going fine. When thinking about it now, his answers were pretty short, so maybe I should have taken the hint. But then he says that it's too early to talk to some freshmen. He says the assignment is annoying, I should not be so redundant in my questions, and I should come back when I'm a Junior with a 3.9 -- I say I'm only doing the assignment that I have to do. And he says that's fine but it's too early. He said to tell my english professor that the assignment wasn't good and I wasted his office hours, and "the professor was an asshole and kicked me out of his office."

So what could I do? I just asked his opinion, let him speak his mind, so I could get sort of on his good side. He said to talk to him about intro to history or the course he was teaching. I said "well thanks for the interview, I think you should be my advisor". I shook his hand and left then.

Geez, I shouldn't feel bad, should I? I don't think I did anything wrong! I think this guy is just mean. And it sucks, because he grades my essays and tests, he'll probably teach me more classes, and he could have been a good contact. So, am I overreacting? Is he just being a hard ass and doesn't mind me at all? Man, I don't know, but it hurts.

Fat Elvis
02-16-2007, 02:04 PM
I hate to break it to you, but you haven't seen anything yet.

phisherman
02-16-2007, 02:05 PM
you listen to emo too?

bp

Iowanian
02-16-2007, 02:05 PM
I'm sure that was a slap in the face, but I encourage you to tuck and roll. Let that minor incident help build your "callouses" so that you'll be a little more prepared down the road.

You think thats brutal...wait until you're in the work force, competing for livelyhood. Its a dog eat Dog world and there is no use wearing Milkbone underwear.

I don't think you should kiss the ass of a guy who was a prick to you. Make the most of the situation.

The world is a small place. I've had to opportunity to hire(or not) 2 of my former professors, including my college advisor for a project. What comes around, goes around.

In the real world, you'll have mornings worse than that before you've punched the time clock.

Jenson71
02-16-2007, 02:06 PM

I just need to take criticism and dents to my ego better. I hate it when people make me feel like an idiot. And that's exactly how I felt.

ndbbm
02-16-2007, 02:07 PM
Sounds like a deuche bag to me. I never much cared for the prof that looked down on folks for any reason. You did a reasonable thing. Don't let the fact that this no-load-puss-nutted-twinkle-toed-assless-chap-wearing-dickbat has no interpersonal skills affect you. Hold your head high that you're a better person and rock on.

ndbbm

FAX
02-16-2007, 02:09 PM
In times like those, I've often recalled to mind and relied upon this famous poem by Rudyard Kipling, Mr. Jenson71. There is great wisdom and truth in these words.

If

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or, being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise;

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with wornout tools;

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breath a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on";

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with kings - nor lose the common touch;
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run -
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man my son!

FAX

Iowanian
02-16-2007, 02:10 PM
I'll remind you of a saying taught to me at an early age by my dad, that may have helped you this morning.

Tact: The ability to tell a man to go to hell, while making him feel happy to be on his way.

Jenson71
02-16-2007, 02:10 PM
I don't think you should kiss the ass of a guy who was a prick to you. Make the most of the situation.

The world is a small place. I've had to opportunity to hire(or not) 2 of my former professors, including my college advisor for a project. What comes around, goes around.

Thanks man. Your post means a lot. Keep the hits and keep on keeping on. This guy WAS a prick to me. He supposed to help students. This is stuff I WILL remember when I'm in his position some years from now.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-16-2007, 02:12 PM
Keep your chin up and keep working hard Jenson. It'll work out for you in the end. Don't let someone else being as asshole to you shape your day or certainly your life. If I did that I'd have left here a long time ago.

:)

bogie
02-16-2007, 02:15 PM
Jenson71,
This world is full of assholes. Sometimes, you have to just roll with the punches. Do you hope to teach History someday?

NewChief
02-16-2007, 02:15 PM
Email the history professor and tell him, "You're right, it was a stupid essay. I'm doing a report on Charles Whitman now. See you tomorrow!"

Fat Elvis
02-16-2007, 02:16 PM
I just need to take criticism and dents to my ego better. I hate it when people make me feel like an idiot. And that's exactly how I felt.

Rejection sucks, but it is a part of life. It really didn't seem like the history prof was bagging on you, but rather your english teacher, if you ask me. Interdepartmental politics can be rather amusing--perhaps you can focus your paper on that dimension of your study.

Fat Elvis
02-16-2007, 02:17 PM
Email the history professor and tell him, "You're right, it was a stupid essay. I'm doing a report on Charles Whitman now. See you tomorrow!"

LMAO

Tell him to wave coming into work tomorrow.

Iowanian
02-16-2007, 02:19 PM
I'm pondering a new side business of greeting cards and custom barnyard stylings for moments Hallmark won't address. I'm going to practice on your situation.

Dear Professor

You are a man who toots his horn
of education, higher.
If I ever Want to an asshole,
I'll look to YOU to be inspired.

siberian khatru
02-16-2007, 02:20 PM

Sage advice on the first response.

Fat Elvis
02-16-2007, 02:20 PM
http://www.utexas.edu/tours/mainbuilding/news/petitions/towersw.jpg

Jenson was here.

htismaqe
02-16-2007, 02:22 PM
Find a new professor to look up to.

Seriously.

Simply Red
02-16-2007, 02:23 PM
I hate to say this.

Because it is so severely over used. But so true...

-Everything happens for a reason.

It will all pan out in the end. Say in the meantime; can you help me with my writing skills? Or lack of...

Redrum_69
02-16-2007, 02:24 PM

Your mom needs to take that advice as well....or has she already...I've dented her ego so many times that no amount of paintless dent repair can fix...her body needs a complete over haul.

the part of making you feel like an idiot is obviously inherited from your mom too.

Simply Red
02-16-2007, 02:25 PM
Find a new professor to look up to.

Seriously.

That's actually short/good advice.

htismaqe
02-16-2007, 02:26 PM
That's actually short/good advice.

I was a History major and I had a prof like that. Luckily, my advisor was the Ancient history prof and he was also into German history and I was a German double...

Baby Lee
I'm pondering a new side business of greeting cards and custom barnyard stylings for moments Hallmark won't address. I'm going to practice on your situation.

Dear Professor

You are a man who toots his horn
of education, higher.
If I ever Want to an asshole,
I'll look to YOU to be inspired.
Your fledgling company needs a proofreader.

Jenson71
Jenson71,
This world is full of assholes. Sometimes, you have to just roll with the punches. Do you hope to teach History someday?

Yeah, I do. It's what I love. I understand some people just get in it cause they want to coach football. I want to study it my whole life.

These are the type that I see where people can go "I was in to this...but then I met this guy."

Stinger
02-16-2007, 02:27 PM
So I make an appointment with my U.S. History to 1877 professor. He's a good guy, has good lectures. He even has a picture of Bob Dylan in his office. I wait outside his office for an hour because he's talking to some other kid.

I ask him the questions, and about 2/3 through he says that these are really annoying questions. I'm pretty taken aback, because I thought the interview was going fine. When thinking about it now, his answers were pretty short, so maybe I should have taken the hint. But then he says that it's too early to talk to some freshmen. He says the assignment is annoying, I should not be so redundant in my questions, and I should come back when I'm a Junior with a 3.9 -- I say I'm only doing the assignment that I have to do. And he says that's fine but it's too early. He said to tell my english professor that the assignment wasn't good and I wasted his office hours, and "the professor was an asshole and kicked me out of his office."

Such as life. This is how you learn to deal with thing in the real world. Stuff like this usually tell what you are made of and not to mention how you deal with it. Take the lumps and learn from it.

Then when you graduate and you go off to make your fortune come back in a few years and tell the prof you would like to meet with him for an endowment to the History Dept. Go through the motions and then say WTH was I thinking and get up and leave. :D

Baby Lee
02-16-2007, 02:28 PM
I was a History major and I had a prof like that. Luckily, my advisor was the Ancient history prof and he was also into German history and I was a German double...
Is that anything like a Lucky Pierre?

Simply Red
02-16-2007, 02:30 PM

Excellent...

Chiefnj
02-16-2007, 02:30 PM
So, he discovered you were annoying after 5-6 questions, while we at the Planet have had to endure nearly 9,000 of your posts. The professor got off easy. :evil:

Redrum_69
02-16-2007, 02:37 PM
The professor got off easy. :evil:

more easy than your mom after a shot of nyquil....

Rooster
02-16-2007, 02:42 PM
Keep your head up Jenson. I'm just going to echo what has already been said.

Some college professors can be some of the worst communicators when dealing one on one with people. It seems strange but it's true. They can talk to a hall of 200 students and not be able to converse with an individual one on one.

Although there are some that think they are Gods gift to the student body and they shouldn't be bothered by things they consider trivial.

Keep on keepin on. There are assholes everywhere.

TinyEvel
02-16-2007, 02:44 PM
Hang in there, dude. There's nothing wrong wtih people being honest or blunt, but Ithink they should do it in a respectful way.

I deal with a lot of egos in my business (advertising) both on client side and in my own agency. I let it really get to me for a while, but when i just concentrated on doing my work and doing what I felt was right, I rose above all that crap.

You being a freshman, I bet that guy saw you as vulnerable, he probably had a bad morning, or a million other reasons. I don't think he should have been so disrespectful

I thought he might be like "Mr. Hand" from Fast Times (if you haven't sen that movie, rent it) Hard ass, but in the end he showed up at Spicoli's house and taught him history in one night. But I digress.

Point is, you'll get a lot of people doing mean or random things like that. Pick through it, don't focus on that and keep swinging, don't base your personal happiness on one or two benchmarks of success, base it on how you operate on a daily basis and carry yourself. That you will always have.

I had many a "career making" ad get killed. And it sucks, but as long as I know that i still have the mind to create hundreds more, I'm okay.

You'll look back on this in years form now and have a completely different perspective on it.

boogblaster
02-16-2007, 02:46 PM
Chin up Chest out Pecker inserted Professor howlin Take that Professor Analsponge

Mile High Mania
02-16-2007, 02:49 PM
Some of this has been mentioned, but here are my thoughts.

You're young and the good thing is that you are quickly finding out that even though you're a nice guy ... you're going to get kicked in the balls. Shit is going to happen and sometimes it piles up deep.

All you can do is not take any of it personally. Control what you can control and learn from events like this one.

Was the guy being an ass? Yeah, but in his world... you (unknowingly) were likely wasting his time. So, that's the way he treats people. Plus - he may have been trying to help you out in some weird, twisted way.

Remember that later in life when someone in a similar situation is whipping your ass about something he cares about, but you don't. Treat that person the way you wanted to be treated by the professor.

Good things happen to good people.
Crappy things happen to good people.

It's life and as Fat Elvis mentioned, wait until you get a job and you're trying to stand out among your peers for advancement or something. That's when things really get interesting.

Also, this is a small world and I learned early on that it's best to make few enemies. I work in IT sales and over the past 14 years I've seen many people move around and have different roles within different companies.

The spare guy that you piss off at company A will likely be the CIO you want to meet at company B in 5 years. This guy will remember if you burned him... so the moral is, just do the best you can and make sure you do right by those you meet.

Learn from your mistakes... take nothing personally, most of the time they're giving you useful ways to improve and try to do right by those you meet.

That's all...

Psyko Tek
02-16-2007, 02:52 PM
Read carefully my young friend
this is advice that should help you the rest ofg your life

Go out tonight
get drunk
get laid
and don't f'ing worry about it

Fat Elvis
02-16-2007, 02:52 PM
Keep your head up Jenson. I'm just going to echo what has already been said.

Some college professors can be some of the worst communicators when dealing one on one with people. It seems strange but it's true. They can talk to a hall of 200 students and not be able to converse with an individual one on one.

I knew a prof who was famous in his field for a couple of things, 1) the seven stages of relational development, and 2) interpersonal communication theory.

1) Came about when his wife divorced him, and

2) The man could not look a person in the eye to save his life.

HonestChieffan
02-16-2007, 02:55 PM
Just remember, the guy has never made an honest living and is spending his life hating who he is and what he has become and knows that you will probably make more money 3 years out of school than he makes now.

In a feew years you will look back and realize that he is an insignifacant turd that you stepped on in the pathway to success.

In life you will meet many who are similar. Ignore the closed minded jerks of the world.

htismaqe
02-16-2007, 02:55 PM
Yeah, I do. It's what I love. I understand some people just get in it cause they want to coach football. I want to study it my whole life.

These are the type that I see where people can go "I was in to this...but then I met this guy."

I actually went in pre-med. I had to take Western Civ to fulfill a cornerstone requirement and hit it off immediately with the Prof. I switched to him as my advisor and a year later changed my major.

I was one of 2 out of 22 in my class without an education double, everybody was planning on teaching/coaching.

I honestly would recommend dropping the edu double, if you have one. If you're SERIOUS about history, you're not gonna want to teach at that level. Do graduate work, get your Phd and get on with a university. Then you can teach part of the time and do fun stuff like research and writing the other part of the time.

And if you end up not being that serious about history (like me) the degree actually has opened a few doors. I don't have a business degree - hint, hint.

Iowanian
02-16-2007, 03:01 PM
Some teachers and college professors are professors because the CAN'T cut it in the real world.

Redrum_69
02-16-2007, 03:04 PM
Some teachers and college professors are professors because the CAN'T cut it in the real world.

and some still hold on to their grade school spelling bee ribbon for placing 6th place out of 5 contestants...

NewChief
02-16-2007, 03:05 PM
I actually went in pre-med. I had to take Western Civ to fulfill a cornerstone requirement and hit it off immediately with the Prof. I switched to him as my advisor and a year later changed my major.

Hahaha. You were the kind of kid that I always felt so bad for teaching. "So, ummm...I was like pre-med, but after taking your really cool and bitchin' English class, I decided to switch to be an English Major." I always wanted to send a letter of apology to their parents.

Actually, I guess I was that kind of kid, too. I went in Pre-Dental and left with a Creative Writing major.

oldandslow
02-16-2007, 03:48 PM
As a professor and chair of a department, I promise you it would only happen ONCE if you were a student here.

The only reason professors have jobs is teaching and research. Spending office hours with freshman students is part of that scenerio. Professors that do not teach in my department can become librarians or go teach for the business school's weekend class.

Seriously - there is nothing wrong with a professor critiquing you when you write a ridiculous paper utilizing National Enquirer as source. You did not do that. This guy was way over the line, imo.

Rain Man
02-16-2007, 04:06 PM
I'll answer your questions, jenson.

Thig Lyfe
02-16-2007, 04:21 PM
I hate to say this.

Because it is so severely over used. But so true...

-Everything happens for a reason.

It will all pan out in the end. Say in the meantime; can you help me with my writing skills? Or lack of...

http://www.landoflost.com/images/others/Desmond.jpg

Listen to him, brudda!

Simplex3
02-16-2007, 04:21 PM
1. That guy is an asshat. Mark one down and wait, he'll eventually need something from you and you can bend him over for it.

2. Having a guy that you pay money to call you stupid is bulls**t, I would have told him to sit down, answer the questions, and keep his opinions to himself. I sure as hell wouldn't have stroked his ego further by telling him I wanted him to be my advisor.

3. This is nothing. Just wait until you have a wife and two kids at home and someone sabotages your project at work to make you look bad so they can try and get a promotion.

Jenson71
02-16-2007, 04:48 PM
Thanks for all the replies. You guys are great support.

kepp
02-16-2007, 05:00 PM
Just make your project about the historical ramifications of jerkwad elitists. You already have your interview.

Jenson71
02-16-2007, 05:25 PM
As a professor and chair of a department, I promise you it would only happen ONCE if you were a student here.

The only reason professors have jobs is teaching and research. Spending office hours with freshman students is part of that scenerio. Professors that do not teach in my department can become librarians or go teach for the business school's weekend class.

Seriously - there is nothing wrong with a professor critiquing you when you write a ridiculous paper utilizing National Enquirer as source. You did not do that. This guy was way over the line, imo.

I thought he was, also. But, he has tenure.

Iowanian
02-16-2007, 06:54 PM
Break into his office tonight and download some kiddy porn sites to his computer.

bogie
02-16-2007, 07:02 PM

Remember this when a student comes in to your office for help. This asshole has given you a life lesson that you will remember forever. You will become a better teacher because of this.

crazycoffey
02-16-2007, 08:08 PM
Thanks man. Your post means a lot. Keep the hits and keep on keeping on. This guy WAS a prick to me. He supposed to help students. This is stuff I WILL remember when I'm in his position some years from now.

This is the key to life lessons, bud.

Still it sucks the wind right out of your sail, I'd like to think he was having a bad day and has had freshmen talk to him so many times and then change thier major that he wants you to be more invested in History before he gets his "hopes up", so to speak, and spends his energy into passing on his core knowledge and philosophies (more than he may in the class room)

Everyone is correct, it gets worse. Life is like a proverbial line graph, full of ups and downs, enjoy those ups and learn from the downs.

dj56dt58
02-16-2007, 08:58 PM
shoulda kicked em in the nuts then said "bet ya wish u would have shut the **** up and finished the interview huh mother****er?"

K but seriously...he prolly just got a hard on talking to u and wanted u to leave so he could take care of it...

StcChief
02-16-2007, 09:51 PM
Come back when you have a real challenge....

Dude this is the tip of the iceberg....

reality will really slap you in the face.

ChiTown
02-16-2007, 10:03 PM

Try a good 70% of them...........

Iowanian
02-16-2007, 10:07 PM
Hamas will be along shortly with a barage of intoxicating language, which is much to complicated for your meager peasant brain to absorb, translate and nay, fail to comprehend.

StcChief
02-16-2007, 10:18 PM
Hamas will be along shortly with a barage of intoxicating language, which is much to complicated for your meager peasant brain to absorb, translate and nay, fail to comprehend.

nah...even after a long day writing. debugging code, meetings, peer analysis design reviews....

Beers, Blues hockey....

Debate this crap in by sleep.

Those who can't teach......

SLAG
02-16-2007, 10:56 PM
at lest your not this guy

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=158437