PDA

View Full Version : "The Bubbler"..... What the flying f*ck?

SNR
02-16-2007, 06:16 PM
I had a student approach me after class on a lecture from last week today. She's from Wisconsin. As I'm finishing up my explanation and walking to the door, she goes, "excuse me, I'm just going to grab a drink from the bubbler."

I look blankly. "The bubbler?"

"Yeah. The bubbler. This thing." She leans over a drinking fountain and takes a sip.

"That's a drinking fountain. Where do you get bubbler from?"

"That's what I've always called it."

Now, I've done some research and apparently people from Wisconsin call drinking fountains "bubblers." Did you all know this? I think this is the most fantastically retarded thing I've ever heard. There's absolutely nothing bubbly about a water fountain. Why would ANYONE call it a "bubbler" of all things?

I propose a massive deprogramming of all people in Wisconsin. This word must be removed from any trace of this country. Either that, or sell Wisconsin to Canada. Terrorists hate us BECAUSE of this word.

Who agrees with me?

FAX
02-16-2007, 06:19 PM
I do, Mr. SNR.

I've always called it the amazing water maker.

FAX

Bob Dole
This explains it.

The Bubbler was developed in 1888 by the then-small Kohler Water Works (now Kohler Company) in Kohler, Wisconsin, which was already well-known for its faucet production. While Harlan Huckleby is credited with the actual design, it was Kohler that patented it and trademarked the name.

JonesCrusher
I feel your pain. People in Wisconsin also look at me like i'm crazy when I ask for a pop instead of soda.

L.A. Chieffan
02-16-2007, 06:20 PM
People from KS/MO call soda "pop". As in "Watcha huntin fer, some pop?"
Uh, no Grandma I was looking in the refegerator for a coke, thanks.

Bob Dole
02-16-2007, 06:21 PM
Bob Dole still cringes when these damned Texans call a shopping cart a "buggy". Bob Dole even carried around a copy of the original shopping cart patent for a year or so, and it made no difference.

FAX
02-16-2007, 06:22 PM
I've always called those rolling grocery cages.

Unless they have a bad wheel. Then I call them f*cking sonsabitches.

FAX

Smed1065
02-16-2007, 06:27 PM

FAX

I refer them to them as the dent and ding makers!

SNR
02-16-2007, 06:28 PM

FAXIn that case I usually just grab an unattended shopping cart from someone else. It's like Christmas. Never know what you're going to get inside.

jidar
02-16-2007, 06:28 PM
People from KS/MO call soda "pop". As in "Watcha huntin fer, some pop?"
Uh, no Grandma I was looking in the refegerator for a coke, thanks.

OMFG. god damned sourthern jackasses.

coke is a brand, not a drink.

What if you ask for a coke, and they bring you a pepsi? Or you asked for a coke, got a pepsi but wanted a coke?

Pop sounds ignorant.
Coke is a brand
soda is the best choice.
Thanks

Soda > Pop > Coke

Easy 6
02-16-2007, 06:32 PM
Get you a drink from the bubbler & then bring me a sody/soda/pop over here on the davenport.

jidar
02-16-2007, 06:33 PM
smurf me a smurf

Bob Dole

What if you ask for a coke, and they bring you a pepsi? Or you asked for a coke, got a pepsi but wanted a coke?

Pop sounds ignorant.
Coke is a brand
soda is the best choice.
Thanks

Soda > Pop > Coke

You're from St. Louis, aren't you?

Rain Man
We used to call it the indoor creek.

Reaper16
The only correct choice is Pop. This is factual, based on empirical evidence -- Jesus said so.

Dicky McElephant
02-16-2007, 06:34 PM
What do you expect....they're all Packer fans.

FAX
02-16-2007, 06:35 PM
Let's all just put on our Edgar suits and have some sugar water.

FAX

RJ
02-16-2007, 06:38 PM
I refer them to them as the dent and ding makers!

I find nothing more annoying than people who won't put the effing carts where they belong and instead leave them rolling aroung the parking lot or in the middle of a parking space.

I found this to be worse in San Antonio than any other place I've lived, but that may be just because it was hilly there so they were more likely to start moving.

I've never called a water fountain a bubbler, but it makes just a much sense as fountain, I think.

RJ
02-16-2007, 06:39 PM
The only correct choice is Pop. This is factual, based on empirical evidence -- Jesus said so.

Link?

crazycoffey
02-16-2007, 06:45 PM

Pop sounds ignorant.
Coke is a brand
soda is the best choice.
Thanks

Soda > Pop > Coke

I just moved back to MO from Dallas, I've missed being able to say soda or even pop, but usually had always said soda and been made fun of in TX. I'm with you, it's stupid, cause if I wanted coke, I'd ask for coke and then the waitress or waiter would ask what kind.

I can be a smartass so I would say, "What kind? The kind you drink not the kind you snort"

but here is another common exchange I'd overhear;
1) I want a coke
2) what kind?
1) Dr. Pepper

:hmmm:

Smed1065
02-16-2007, 06:46 PM
I find nothing more annoying than people who won't put the effing carts where they belong and instead leave them rolling aroung the parking lot or in the middle of a parking space.

I found this to be worse in San Antonio than any other place I've lived, but that may be just because it was hilly there so they were more likely to start moving.

I've never called a water fountain a bubbler, but it makes just a much sense as fountain, I think.

In Atlanta it is crazy, they need the exercise but refuse to corral them. I have not bought a new car for 10 years, one reason is because when I moved here I had a new 1997 truck and within a month it was messed up.

Like sideways hail. I always park away from most cars (congested and downhill areas) but it did not matter.

L.A. Chieffan
02-16-2007, 06:46 PM

Pop sounds ignorant.
Coke is a brand
soda is the best choice.
Thanks

Soda > Pop > Coke
I was specifically looking for a coke at that precise moment and that it why I used that term.
My grandmother, however, will call it a "pop" if it's a coke or a goddamn orange fanta.

DONTCHA WANTA WANTA FANTA??

L.A. Chieffan
02-16-2007, 06:48 PM
Also, I noticed she refers to restaurants as resternts.
Hard to pronounce "au" in that midwestern twang I guess.

Tribal Warfare
02-16-2007, 06:48 PM
I
Now, I've done some research and apparently people from Wisconsin call drinking fountains "bubblers." Did you all know this? I think this is the most fantastically retarded thing I've ever heard. There's absolutely nothing bubbly about a water fountain. Why would ANYONE call it a "bubbler" of all things?

Plus, say pop instad of soohda, and bags instead beegs.

Bob Dole
02-16-2007, 06:49 PM
In Atlanta it is crazy, they need the exercise but refuse to corral them. I have not bought a new car for 10 years, one reason is because when I moved here I had a new 1997 truck and within a month it was messed up.

Like sideways hail. I always park away from most cars (congested and downhill areas) but it did not matter.

Bob Dole moved to Las Vegas back in 1996. Bob Dole arrived in town around 9pm and stopped at a Von's to pick up some chow before heading to the hotel. Came back outside and had a nice dent and gash to the metal from a runaway cart.

15 minutes in town, $750 worth of vehicle damage. Bob Dole should have left town right then.

Iowanian
02-16-2007, 06:58 PM
All this talk about Blubber is going to make the Fatty-fans of the planet want to bend over a beefy gal and and buck out in the Kidney lard rodeo.

mikey23545
02-16-2007, 07:02 PM

Pop sounds ignorant.
Coke is a brand
soda is the best choice.
Thanks

Soda > Pop > Coke

How many years did it take you to fill up such a huge reservoir of stupidity?

Smed1065
02-16-2007, 07:28 PM
Bob Dole moved to Las Vegas back in 1996. Bob Dole arrived in town around 9pm and stopped at a Von's to pick up some chow before heading to the hotel. Came back outside and had a nice dent and gash to the metal from a runaway cart.

15 minutes in town, $750 worth of vehicle damage. Bob Dole should have left town right then.

I lived in Laughlin for five years and your experience would have been "cheap" if you took the hint. ROFL

"Signs, signs everywhere a sign."

I loved it at first but then found out the only thing to do was drink and gamble (or in the summer the Colorado river-floating or fishing). I had to move after five years because I was getting nowhere in a hurry.

I was sucked in because I won $54,000 my first year, little did I know the future. I ended up with a new car the first year from the winnings but learned a valuable lesson.

Visiting is great but living there was different after 3 years of it.

ChiefaRoo
02-16-2007, 09:17 PM
Skip calls radio the magic talkin' box and he gets upset and angry when he talks to his 'movin people box' and they don't acknowledge him.

Redcoats58
02-16-2007, 09:25 PM
I lived in Laughlin for five years and your experience would have been "cheap" if you took the hint. ROFL

"Signs, signs everywhere a sign."

I loved it at first but then found out the only thing to do was drink and gamble (or in the summer the Colorado river-floating or fishing). I had to move after five years because I was getting nowhere in a hurry.

I was sucked in because I won $54,000 my first year, little did I know the future. I ended up with a new car the first year from the winnings but learned a valuable lesson.

Visiting is great but living there was different after 3 years of it.

I lived in the Bullhead City/Laughlin area for 16 years. You are exactly right, there isn't a thing to do there but gamble, drink, or do meth. Too many tweakers in that area.

Skip Towne
02-16-2007, 09:26 PM
All this talk about Blubber is going to make the Fatty-fans of the planet want to bend over a beefy gal and and buck out in the Kidney lard rodeo.
No, no, they are talking about that other kind of blubber. The kind water comes out of.

ChiefaRoo
02-16-2007, 09:27 PM
Redrum's mom is a bubbler. Just add goo.

el borracho
02-16-2007, 09:29 PM

FAX
Laaaaadiiiiiieeees and gen-tle-men, welcome to the no-holds-barred rolling grocery cage match! In this corner weighing in at 1 pound, 2 oz. the rolling grocery cage champion: roasted garlic and onion spaghetti sauce! And in this corner weighing in at 4.6 oz. tonight's challenger: Tom's of Maine natural anti-plaque tartar control plus whitening peppermint toothpaste!

>DING<

Skip Towne
02-16-2007, 09:31 PM
Skip calls radio the magic talkin' box and he gets upset and angry when he talks to his 'movin people box' and they don't acknowledge him.
How did you ever acquire such a vast reservoir of stupidity? I'm surprised Wichita hasn't regurgitated you like Lawrence did.

el borracho
02-16-2007, 09:32 PM
I just moved back to MO from Dallas, I've missed being able to say soda or even pop, but usually had always said soda and been made fun of in TX. I'm with you, it's stupid, cause if I wanted coke, I'd ask for coke and then the waitress or waiter would ask what kind.

I can be a smartass so I would say, "What kind? The kind you drink not the kind you snort"
I bet I know what kind of Coke you get when you order like that- waiter-spit formula.

ChiefaRoo
02-16-2007, 09:33 PM
How did you ever acquire such a vast reservoir of stupidity? I'm surprised Wichita hasn't regurgitated you like Lawrence did.

Hi Skip. Have you finished detailing my car yet? Don't forget to detail the wheel wells with your toofus brush.

I say toofus because I am pretty sure you only have one left.

HMc
02-16-2007, 09:39 PM
they're called "bubblers" in these parts.

crazycoffey
02-16-2007, 09:42 PM
I bet I know what kind of Coke you get when you order like that- waiter-spit formula.

I thought it tasted a little bit salty for coke

Miles
02-16-2007, 09:54 PM
Current usage of term

The term is still used in several regional dialects of the United States such as in Wisconsin (mostly in the southeast part of the state, centered on Milwaukee, where it is considered part of the local dialect; residents of southeastern Wisconsin often state that the term is used within a "five county radius," however, the term's use has spread throughout the region, beyond five counties in the area), the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, states in New England, as well as in Australia. Oregon is also known to be quite familiar with the term, specifically in the Portland region where in the late 1800s Simon Benson installed 20 fountains.

Wonder how the term made its way to Australia?

morphius
02-16-2007, 10:11 PM
For the record, I know a lady from Boston, lat least a few generations there as well, who calls it the same thing, so it isn't just a Wisconsin thing.

Iowanian
02-16-2007, 10:12 PM
Oh..the Bubbler.

That must be the term people use for the Iowani-gut, right after eating a lunch with any grease.....and during the idea phase for the newest PooEtry.

StcChief
02-16-2007, 10:14 PM
She doesn't know about the Bubbler ....

I'll give you a bubbler honey.....

I haven't heard that term in years.

ChiefaRoo
02-16-2007, 10:21 PM
Skip's my bubbler.

boogblaster
02-16-2007, 10:22 PM
Bubbler is what raises to the top of your bath-water, you dumb-fokers ....

StcChief
02-16-2007, 10:28 PM
Bubbler is what raises to the top of your bath-water, you dumb-fokers ....
That damn hot tub...bath oil soakin' sh1t

crazycoffey
02-16-2007, 10:37 PM
So SNR,

What do you teach??

Fat Elvis
02-17-2007, 12:15 AM
So SNR,

What do you teach??

Narcing 101

crazycoffey
02-17-2007, 12:24 AM
Narcing 101

I'm unfamiliar, is it like how to be a Narc?

SNR
02-17-2007, 12:27 AM
So SNR,

What do you teach??Four sections of music history, a studio of piano students, and the organ students (all 7 of them...). I'm doing what I love, I guess.

SNR
02-17-2007, 12:30 AM
Narcing 101You don't need no instructions to know how to rock

FAX
02-17-2007, 12:30 AM
I'd like to know more about the organ students.

FAX

crazycoffey
02-17-2007, 12:42 AM
Four sections of music history, a studio of piano students, and the organ students (all 7 of them...). I'm doing what I love, I guess.

college level I guess.

I substituted some this last year and actually enjoyed it. thinking of giving up the badge to to teach. I have a BS in busines, looking into how many credits I need to get a BS in business education or a Masters in art education.

I figured if I actually liked substituting then having my own class would have more rewards. I am just starting to look at it.

Guru
02-17-2007, 12:45 AM
I feel your pain. People in Wisconsin also look at me like i'm crazy when I ask for a pop instead of soda.
Guess they never saw a Shasta commercial.

88TG88
02-17-2007, 01:08 AM
i didnt read any of the other posts but where im from a bubbler is a pipe with water sort of like a bong but not upright. it gets u pretty high

FAX
02-17-2007, 01:11 AM
i didnt read any of the other posts but where im from a bubbler is a pipe with water sort of like a bong but not upright. it gets u pretty high

That's interesting, Mr. 88TG88.

Where I'm from, a Bubbler is a girl who can levitate herself slightly off the floor with snot baloons.

FAX

Rausch
02-17-2007, 02:52 AM
I had a student approach me after class on a lecture from last week today. She's from Wisconsin. As I'm finishing up my explanation and walking to the door, she goes, "excuse me, I'm just going to grab a drink from the bubbler."

I look blankly. "The bubbler?"

"Yeah. The bubbler. This thing." She leans over a drinking fountain and takes a sip.

"That's a drinking fountain. Where do you get bubbler from?"

"That's what I've always called it."

I propose a massive deprogramming of all people in Wisconsin. This word must be removed from any trace of this country. Either that, or sell Wisconsin to Canada. Terrorists hate us BECAUSE of this word.

Who agrees with me?

YOU ARE AN EDUCATOR.

STUDENTS SAY THINGS SOMETIMES TO MAKE FUN OF YOU/ON A DARE/TO EARN TEH KOOL PTS.

Then again, she may have just attended public schooling and lacks any ability at all to properly communicate...

Bob Dole
02-17-2007, 03:34 AM
YOU ARE AN EDUCATOR.

STUDENTS SAY THINGS SOMETIMES TO MAKE FUN OF YOU/ON A DARE/TO EARN TEH KOOL PTS.

Then again, she may have just attended public schooling and lacks any ability at all to properly communicate...

Or she may just be of German descent.

Baconeater
02-17-2007, 03:39 AM
How much would Canada give us for Wisconsin?

Smed1065
02-17-2007, 03:52 AM
I lived in the Bullhead City/Laughlin area for 16 years. You are exactly right, there isn't a thing to do there but gamble, drink, or do meth. Too many tweakers in that area.

Bullhead City- LOL

Havalina City?

Stewie
02-17-2007, 07:26 AM

I worked at the KMart at 95th and Metcalf for a summer job in college. Back then the parking lot was steeper than it is now. The shopping carts had brakes that were engaged when not in use (you lifted a handled to release the brake). Anyway, that safety feature failed quite often and carts would fly down the hill and usually end up toppling over in the parking lot. On occasion, they would make it all the way to Metcalf where hilarity ensued. Well, it was funny for us lowly shelf-stockers.

Skip Towne
02-17-2007, 07:34 AM
Skip's my bubbler.
I heard you fart in the bathtub and bite the bubbles.

morphius
02-17-2007, 08:49 AM
YOU ARE AN EDUCATOR.

Like I said, Bostonians also call it a bubbler, well okay a bubbla, but that is because they don't know how to say "r's". So I doubt this was for cool points.

Redcoats58
02-17-2007, 11:18 AM
Bullhead City- LOL

Havalina City?
Havalina, wtf is that?

RJ
02-17-2007, 11:29 AM
That's interesting, Mr. 88TG88.

Where I'm from, a Bubbler is a girl who can levitate herself slightly off the floor with snot baloons.

FAX

In New Mexico we call those girls aliens. Sometimes we call them tourist attractions.