PDA

View Full Version : NFT: Need some info on a SUV. '03 GMV Envoy XL

BigVE
02-16-2007, 08:09 PM
We have been looking for a while and this appears to be one the one that we really like and fits our needs...we need the 3rd row seating, big V6 or V8 power, 4wd, tow package (pulling a small camper in the summertime). Anyone know any info about these models like things to watch over, recalls or any other bad things? Here is a pic for anyone interested.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/img_popup.jsp?car_id=215209781&photoIndex=3

recxjake
02-16-2007, 08:58 PM
What is your price range?

BigVE
02-16-2007, 08:59 PM
18500 tops

recxjake
02-16-2007, 09:12 PM
18500 tops

Are you totally against going for a new one?

I'm the biggest GM dork on this website... and to be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of the Envoy, Trailblazer or Bravada.... My dad had the Envoy a few times as a company car and he didn't have any problems with them, but just complained the engine wasn't strong enough for its size. It didn't get rated that well, just kind of an average SUV. The 2005 and newer ones have a better interior.

I can get you a GM supplier discount on a new one. The Chevy Equinox might be available in your price range, especially if you can find a 2006.... They have some good rebates going now through the feb 20th.

BigVE
02-16-2007, 09:32 PM
I sent you another PM....I gotta work in the morning so Im off to bed for now. Thanks for the info dude.

StcChief
02-16-2007, 09:45 PM
Don't buy a POS Envoy. better SUVs on the market

recxjake
02-16-2007, 09:52 PM
Don't buy a POS Envoy. better SUVs on the market

I'm gonna get him in a Saturn Outlook...

StcChief
02-16-2007, 09:56 PM
I'm gonna get him in a Saturn Outlook...

My car pool partner has a Saturn Vue....decent ride 4wd. works in snow and our roads..... out in BFE outside STL.

recxjake
02-16-2007, 09:59 PM
My car pool partner has a Saturn Vue....decent ride 4wd. works in snow and our roads..... out in BFE outside STL.

The new Vue comes out this summer..... big improvements...

http://www.saturn.com/saturn/vehicles/futurevehicles/index.jsp

El Jefe
02-16-2007, 10:18 PM
BigVE, dont listen to StcChiefs he is an idiot, Envoy is a very very good SUV, how do I know because I work on them every week. I work at a transmission shop and we do general work to and the Envoy is very dependable and has a lot of power nice inside and they have a great transmission in them. StcChief I am just joking with you lol.

StcChief
02-16-2007, 10:21 PM
BigVE, dont listen to StcChiefs he is an idiot, Envoy is a very very good SUV, how do I know because I work on them every week. I work at a transmission shop and we do general work to and the Envoy is very dependable and has a lot of power nice inside and they have a great transmission in them. StcChief I am just joking with you lol.
Yeah my x-MIL has the big straight 6 Envoy....no issues at all.....

My x-GM Supv. in Wentzville plant had one, engine issues crap after < 20K miles.

He dumped it, knew it was gonna be a future headache...

I don't know they are all a crap shot. Some brands are better than others in overall quality.

El Jefe
02-16-2007, 10:25 PM
I agree with you StcChief, its all about whose symbol you like and people go with what they like. I am a Chevy/GM man but I am a really big old Buick man I have an 84 and a 63 2 door electra 225 very rare car. We dont work on new Envoys hardly every unless its preventative maintenance. BigVe do not buy an EXPLORER ever we call them EXPLODERS at our shop their transmissions are pure crap we have three explorers in our shop right now we have a 99,98, 2005 we work on about 2 a week and they are for major trans problems. Explorers are very nice looking good interior but pure crap transmissions. StcChief what is your favorite?

StcChief
02-16-2007, 10:42 PM
I agree with you StcChief, its all about whose symbol you like and people go with what they like. I am a Chevy/GM man but I am a really big old Buick man I have an 84 and a 63 2 door electra 225 very rare car. We dont work on new Envoys hardly every unless its preventative maintenance. BigVe do not buy an EXPLORER ever we call them EXPLODERS at our shop their transmissions are pure crap we have three explorers in our shop right now we have a 99,98, 2005 we work on about 2 a week and they are for major trans problems. Explorers are very nice looking good interior but pure crap transmissions. StcChief what is your favorite?

Happy with '01 Nissan Pathfinder. the 3.5 L engine, extremely solid build/ride, tows 5K lbs (Auto) if needed..... decent mileage ~18-20 highway. Quiet solid ride. > 120K miles no issue just maintenance.

Had 1998 then an 02 Maxima very fast 3.5L sedan totalled thanks to a Deer.

I have had GM/Dodge/ and Jap cars (Mazda,Nissan) in my life.
I Have had better luck without Issues with Jap cars.

American cars seem to be built better now, than when I owned them last in the late 70s.

I am reasonably impressed with my car pooler's Saturn VUE. for what he paid used.....

El Jefe
02-16-2007, 10:50 PM
Yeah my buddy has a Vue they are pretty nice. Nissans are solid my brother has had 2 and loved them both. I will never buy a Jap car I just am into American Muscle baby old schools 63 Buick I am putting a 455 ci Buick motor in that rascal, in my 84 I am putting a high-performance 430 ci Buick motor in that one.

StcChief
02-16-2007, 11:02 PM
Yeah my buddy has a Vue they are pretty nice. Nissans are solid my brother has had 2 and loved them both. I will never buy a Jap car I just am into American Muscle baby old schools 63 Buick I am putting a 455 ci Buick motor in that rascal, in my 84 I am putting a high-performance 430 ci Buick motor in that one.

I hear the Buick American muscle.....if your into working on your cars etc, racing... My neighbor was a big Buick 455 dude. Drag racing / street scene. Its Fun... Buddy with old school 'vettes ....

Hat's off to what you like, everybody has their own thing.

I'm more of a performance/winding roads/etc. bang for buck.

I want to do just basic maintenance., not tinker, sup it up
Dependable fast , hold road. Good value for buck.

El Jefe
02-16-2007, 11:10 PM
Its a blast to tinker with your own stuff. Have fun doing it.

HemiEd
02-16-2007, 11:25 PM
I have not read a single post in this thread, just the title. I would ask the Bad Guy, if he shows up, what he thinks.

Kerberos
02-17-2007, 07:13 AM
03 Envoy.... Consumer Reports

Ratings go from Excellent..Very Good..Good...Fair... Poor

Engine Major............Excellent
Engine Minor............good
Engine Cooling.........good
Transmission...........verygood
Drive System...........fair
Fuel System............good
Electrical System......poor
Climate System........poor
Suspension..............good
Brakes....................verygood
Exhaust..................excellent
Paint/Trim/Rust........fair
Body Integrity..........poor
Body hardware.........fair
Power equipment......fair
Audio System...........verygood
Used Car Verdicts.....fair

New Car Prediction Average.................GOOD

Crash test results Frontal Drive/pass.....Good
Side Front/Rear........Excellent

Estimated Retail Price.....2003......$12,100 - $16,300

Seems the 05 and 06 and more than likely the 07 are better vehicles by comparison. Better overall ratings in EVERY catagory.

GM is stepping up more than they have in years past with newer vehicles.

I own an 06 Trailblazer and consumer reports tested side by side the 05 Trailblazer and the 05 Envoy and the Trailblazer beat it in a lot of different catagories to include 0-60 Times 60MPH to full stop was better. Overall customer satifaction was MUCH better. That was why I went with the Trailblazer last year. Envoy was $4K more for same options.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=3112005#post3112005

HemiEd
02-19-2007, 03:03 PM
Bump for "the bad guy."

Scaga
02-19-2007, 03:10 PM
I don't know about the Envoy specifically, (though my sister has one and loves it), but most, if not all GM "trucks" have a lower tow rating on the 4WD models. Might want to check that out if you're talking about towing with it.

The Bad Guy
02-19-2007, 04:30 PM
I have an 03 Envoy, not XL and the thing has been a nightmare.

I paid 20 grand for it last year. It was certified. I took it to 4 different repair shops and they couldn't fix it.

Finally, after 8 months of trying, they finally figured out what was wrong.

I tried to get the dealership to buy it back after they couldn't fix it, but they were willing to give me only 11 grand for it after 2 months of driving it.

I would stay far away from anything GMC after my experience.

StcChief
02-19-2007, 05:06 PM
I have an 03 Envoy, not XL and the thing has been a nightmare.

I paid 20 grand for it last year. It was certified. I took it to 4 different repair shops and they couldn't fix it.

Finally, after 8 months of trying, they finally figured out what was wrong.

I tried to get the dealership to buy it back after they couldn't fix it, but they were willing to give me only 11 grand for it after 2 months of driving it.

I would stay far away from anything GMC after my experience.

As I said early a Crap shot.

I'm not willing to flip a coin hoping to get a good one. the old method... only buy it if was built on Wednesday

Mr. Plow
02-19-2007, 05:24 PM
We bought an 03 Envoy in June. Has been a great vehicle for us. No problems whatsoever.

Decent mileage.

Comfortable interior.

Enough leg room for me - 6'5" - to sit comfortably in the 3rd row....though I wouldn't for an extended period.

Good storage room with the fold down seating.

Overall, we love it. My sister has one as well. No problems with either yet. Personally, I'm with StcChief - it's a crap shoot.