PDA

View Full Version : Fox Sports: Chargers leaning towards Norv Turner

BigRock
02-19-2007, 12:11 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6485122?MSNHPHMA

FOXSports.com has learned that the Chargers are talking to Norv Turner as if they are looking to hire him as their head coach. Sources contend that Turner is leaning toward hiring Ted Cottrell, a long-time defensive NFL coach, to run the Chargers defense.

From a quick look at a Chargers board, there's quite a few Bolt fans ready to jump off the Coronado bridge if this turns out to be true. LMAO

Buck
02-19-2007, 12:18 AM
I guess I could stand Norv Turner.

SPchief
02-19-2007, 12:20 AM
I guess I could stand Norv Turner.

You're dumber than I thought.

Buck
02-19-2007, 12:21 AM
You're dumber than I thought.

I dont think that Norv can screw up what we got going on here, remember he had the triplets in Dallas, he has like quintuplets here in SD.

Jim Jones
02-19-2007, 12:27 AM
I dont think that Norv can screw up what we got going on here, remember he had the triplets in Dallas, he has like quintuplets here in SD.

He had Jimmy Johnson in Dallas.

Turner in San Diego - could we really luck out this much?

What a waste of the most talented team in the league.

Miles
02-19-2007, 12:29 AM

Are the 4th and 5th premier skill players LT's imaginary friends?

Thig Lyfe
02-19-2007, 12:32 AM
If Norv Turner leaves SF, Alex Smith is gonna die.

Buck
02-19-2007, 12:33 AM
Are the 4th and 5th premier skill players LT's imaginary friends?

1. Rivers 2. LT 3. Gates 4. Jackson 5. Floyd (or Dwayne Jarret)

SPchief
02-19-2007, 12:39 AM
If Norv Turner leaves SF, Alex Smith is gonna die.

:spock:

SPchief
02-19-2007, 12:39 AM
1. Rivers 2. LT 3. Gates 4. Jackson 5. Floyd (or Dwayne Jarret)

LMAO

You must be high.

Buck
02-19-2007, 12:40 AM
LMAO

You must be high.

What do you think?

ChiefsCountry
02-19-2007, 12:42 AM
Sweet now if the Donks could get rid of Rat boy, Herm might be the best coach in the division.

SPchief
02-19-2007, 12:43 AM
What do you think?

I'll give you LT and Gates, but Rivers is nowwhere near as talented as Aikman, and the others are laughable at best.

Buck
02-19-2007, 12:44 AM
I'll give you LT and Gates, but Rivers is nowwhere near as talented as Aikman, and the others are laughable at best.

Norv Turner is great with young QBs n00b!!!1

Miles
02-19-2007, 12:48 AM

Vincent Jackson has some nice potential but is hardly there yet. Floyd or some rookie is beyond a stretch.

SNR
02-19-2007, 12:49 AM
Norv Turner is great with young QBs n00b!!!1Says who? He had Brad Johnson in Washington and Kerry Collins in Oakland. As an offensive coordinator he was part of the Dallas show, and then went to Miami. Why wasn't Jay Fiedler an all-pro.

Norv Turner = Ray Rhodes. Did a great job with one team and since then has been dogshit.

Buck
02-19-2007, 12:50 AM
Says who? He had Brad Johnson in Washington and Kerry Collins in Oakland. As an offensive coordinator he was part of the Dallas show, and then went to Miami. Why wasn't Jay Fiedler an all-pro.

Norv Turner = Ray Rhodes. Did a great job with one team and since then has been dogshit.

Yeah, Johnson was old and so was Collins when he had them.

Jim Jones
02-19-2007, 12:55 AM
Says who? He had Brad Johnson in Washington and Kerry Collins in Oakland. As an offensive coordinator he was part of the Dallas show, and then went to Miami. Why wasn't Jay Fiedler an all-pro.

Yeah, Turner has only really done well at one stop. I don't buy the Alex Smith shite because he made the natural progression that you'd expect your #1 overall pick to make in his second season.

BigRock
02-19-2007, 01:02 AM
Putting Norv aside for the moment, how about Ted Cottrell? He was good in Buffalo way back in the day, but he got run out of his last two jobs and wasn't even coaching this past season.

This almost sounds like a prank.

el borracho
02-19-2007, 01:13 AM
Wow. Why fire Marty to hire this bum? Turner has a losing record in each of his head coaching jobs and he's old. I would have thought the Chargers would try and find some young up and comer to lead them into the future. Turner would be a stopgap coach much like the Raiders have been hiring ever since Chucky left them.

Good news for Chiefs fans, though!

SPchief
02-19-2007, 01:14 AM
Wow. Why fire Marty to hire this bum? Turner has a losing record in each of his head coaching jobs and he's old. I would have thought the Chargers would try and find some young up and comer to lead them into the future. Turner would be a stopgap coach much like the Raiders have been hiring ever since Chucky left them.

Good news for Chiefs fans, though!

Don't tell BNK that. He thinks Norv would be a great hire.

SNR
02-19-2007, 01:16 AM
Yeah, Johnson was old and so was Collins when he had them.Exactly. Where are all the young QBs?

Thig Lyfe
02-19-2007, 01:33 AM
:spock:

3 offensive coordinators in as many years.

Buck
02-19-2007, 01:49 AM
Exactly. Where are all the young QBs?

Aikman...Smith...and now Rivers.

SPchief
02-19-2007, 02:02 AM
Aikman...Smith...and now Rivers.

Hate to break it to you, but Alex Smith has yet to prove himself as an elite, EDIT: decent, quarterback. And when Norv had Aikman, he wasn't very young. If I remember right, Aikman was what, 30?

el borracho
02-19-2007, 02:06 AM
Buckin', are you just trying to be positive or are you actually excited about Turner as the next head coach?

Buck
02-19-2007, 02:31 AM
Buckin', are you just trying to be positive or are you actually excited about Turner as the next head coach?

No I'm not excited to have Turner as our head coach, but Im not going to be happy with anyone really...so...Gotta take em how the come.

SPchief
02-19-2007, 02:38 AM
No I'm not excited to have Turner as our head coach, but Im not going to be happy with anyone really...so...Gotta take em how the come.

Just me stirring the pot

Buck
02-19-2007, 02:40 AM
Just me stirring the pot

I never contradicted myself in those posts...what are you talking about?

jlscorpio
02-19-2007, 03:42 AM
WOW. Just effing WOW. I would shoot myself if he was hired by my favorite NAIA team. The guy is straight poop as a head coach. Rivers does not = Aikman, Jackson does not = Irvin, welcome back to the cellar. Stay classy, San Diego!

HMc
02-19-2007, 05:05 AM
Dwayne Jarrett is falling to #30 now?!

Maybe we can pick up Joe Thomas at #23

the Talking Can
02-19-2007, 05:57 AM
Turner....lmao

Cochise
02-19-2007, 06:17 AM
Well he did so well in Oakland...

Bill Parcells
02-19-2007, 06:21 AM
What are they judging Norv Turner by?he was HORRIBLE with the Redskins as a head coach,he looked clueless and had no discipline with that team..the Chargers need a disciplinarian to take over,not a babysitter..this is a big step down.

dirk digler
02-19-2007, 06:26 AM
LMAO

Turner is a horrible head coach. The Chargers really screwed themselves by waiting too long to fire Marty.

Valiant
02-19-2007, 06:48 AM
What are they judging Norv Turner by?he was HORRIBLE with the Redskins as a head coach,he looked clueless and had no discipline with that team..the Chargers need a disciplinarian to take over,not a babysitter..this is a big step down.

Or a coach that will do whatever the GM wants them too...

Simply Red
02-19-2007, 06:49 AM
LMAO

Turner is a horrible head coach. The Chargers really screwed themselves by waiting too long to fire Marty.

I agree.

Skip Towne
02-19-2007, 06:53 AM
This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.

Simply Red
02-19-2007, 07:03 AM
This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.

Yep. They snooze they lose.

ck_IN
02-19-2007, 07:04 AM
This is amazing. Could Spanos and Smith be so clueless? They have the most talented team in football and they're thinking of hamstringing it with Turner? :shake:

I wonder what the deal on Ron Rivera is. He's had some interviews but obviously no takers. He'd be the guy that would scare me.

ROYC75
02-19-2007, 07:35 AM
:eek: That would be sweet ! Let's help them get this done.No more laughing guys,let's help the media and the Chargers here, after all, they are our friends, right.

morphius
02-19-2007, 08:00 AM
I just can't see this happening. Obviously the NFL has sneaked in a rule that you must interview at least one proven horrible failure at HC along with the rule to interview at least one minority.

Brock
02-19-2007, 08:05 AM
This kind of stuff is what makes them the Chargers.

Deberg_1990
02-19-2007, 08:13 AM
This is amazing. Could Spanos and Smith be so clueless? They have the most talented team in football and they're thinking of hamstringing it with Turner? :shake:

Im fairly sure their line of reasoning is this: Turner was there in 2001 and helped resurrect the offense and particulary the O-line and the running game. He is also known as a QB "guru" although the only great QB he has ever built was Aikman and to a lesser extent Trent Green. Ill admit, the guy is a great offensive mind, no doubt about it. (in fact i wanted the Chiefs to hire him last year) But the proof is in the pudding when it comes to his Head coaching resume. He sucks.

The Bolts are maybe hoping he will keep the offense rolling for a year or two before they can bring in a "true" successor. I definately dont see this as a long term thing. The Bolts really ****ed this one up by waiting too long to give Marty the boot.

Easy 6
02-19-2007, 08:35 AM
Turner is an outstanding O coordinator & a piss poor head coach, he just doesnt have the stones to inspire & enforce discipline on an entire team.

They were in trouble for a year no matter who they hired, this move would extend the misery.

He's the Joe Lieberman of football coaches.

:toast:

Woodrow Call
02-19-2007, 08:38 AM
I'm sure most DCs can coach both but isn't Cottrell a 4-3 guy?