PDA

View Full Version : Sirius and XM to Merge!

recxjake
02-19-2007, 08:41 AM

Bill Lundberg
02-19-2007, 08:48 AM
Any indication as to who's buying who? I have shares of Sirius.. This could be a good thing or it could be a bad thing...

Deberg_1990
02-19-2007, 08:52 AM
Toyota and GM to merge!

www.toyotagm.com

penguinz
02-19-2007, 08:53 AM
Any indication as to who's buying who? I have shares of Sirius.. This could be a good thing or it could be a bad thing...
The transaction is expected to be structured as a merger of equals, but given Sirius' higher enterprise value, shareholders in the Mel Karmazin-led firm will likely come away with a larger percentage of a combined company.

Cochise
02-19-2007, 08:55 AM

I'm not sure, but from reading the article I think that the transaction is expected to be structured as a merger of equals, but given Sirius' higher enterprise value, shareholders in the Mel Karmazin-led firm will likely come away with a larger percentage of a combined company.

Deberg_1990
02-19-2007, 08:56 AM
No, but GM and Chrysler are in serious talks for GM to buy them, Jeep and Dodge as early as this Friday.

Yea i did hear that one.

htismaqe
02-19-2007, 09:03 AM
I don't really get it... The only plusses would be Chrysler minivans are the best... GM's the worst, Jeep is a solid brand and could be combined with Hummer, Would give GM a 40% U.S. market share and that would keep GM as the worlds biggest automaker. There is a lot of overlap, but overtime, if the companies could save a lot money by using the same underpins then it might be worth it.

I don't get it either.

If Chrysler is in the tank so bad that Daimler just wants to dump it, why would GM buy it?

Sell the profitable stuff (GMAC) and buy the sinking ships.

Bill Lundberg
02-19-2007, 09:09 AM
I'm not sure, but from reading the article I think that the transaction is expected to be structured as a merger of equals, but given Sirius' higher enterprise value, shareholders in the Mel Karmazin-led firm will likely come away with a larger percentage of a combined company.

The link didn't work the first time for some reason... At least now I know that the transaction is expected to be structured as a merger of equals, but given Sirius' higher enterprise value, shareholders in the Mel Karmazin-led firm will likely come away with a larger percentage of a combined company.

HemiEd
02-19-2007, 09:12 AM
I don't get it either.

If Chrysler is in the tank so bad that Daimler just wants to dump it, why would GM buy it?

Sell the profitable stuff (GMAC) and buy the sinking ships.

Chrysler is in the tank because Daimler has stripped them of their cash. Daimler has made a key error with the company in my opinion. They have tried to position them as an upscale company, with average products. They have also gotten away from FWD, a big mistake IMO.

recxjake
02-19-2007, 09:19 AM
Chrysler is in the tank because Daimler has stripped them of their cash. Daimler has made a key error with the company in my opinion. They have tried to position them as an upscale company, with average products. They have also gotten away from FWD, a big mistake IMO.

Do you think teaming up with GM is a good idea? I've also heard that Hyundai and a bunch of those China automakers are in the running as well. The new development is that it be an auction. In theory GM would want Chrysler to replace Buick, but not buy Jeep due to Hummer.

htismaqe
02-19-2007, 09:22 AM
It's going for 50% off... Under 10 billion... Heck GM sold 51% of GMAC for 13 billion...

Would you buy your neighbor's garbage for half off?

No seriously, I wonder if GM still believe that the future of their company hinges on manufacturing?

HonestChieffan
Hope we all get the entire package

htismaqe

Nice.

htismaqe
02-19-2007, 09:23 AM
Do you think teaming up with GM is a good idea? I've also heard that Hyundai and a bunch of those China automakers are in the running as well. The new development is that it be an auction. In theory GM would want Chrysler to replace Buick, but not buy Jeep due to Hummer.

I could see why a couple of the Chinese makers would want it. It could probably speed their entry into the market by another 12-18 months.

Man, if the US makers thought competing with Toyota was tough...

Sully
02-19-2007, 09:33 AM
As a Sirius owner, this sounds great. I'd love to ad some of the XM channels.

htismaqe
02-19-2007, 09:35 AM
Yea, it could be very bad for Ford and GM... heck even Toyota and Honda... They could sell brand new cars for a couple thousand!

I flew to Dallas last month and was reading an article about a Chinese automaker. They had created a "first-run" (not a prototype) luxury car that was being compared to a Lexus. They felt they could get adequate profit out of it by retailing it in the US for around NINETEEN THOUSAND.

chief52
02-19-2007, 11:54 AM
Hope we all get the entire package

My thoughts exactly. But something makes me think that they will want more $$$$$ if they increase your channel options. Can not imagine it getting better for the consumer at no cost.

ChiefsFan4Life
02-19-2007, 11:56 AM

I only read this post in the entire thread so sorry if this was already mentioned, but the transaction is expected to be structured as a merger of equals, but given Sirius' higher enterprise value, shareholders in the Mel Karmazin-led firm will likely come away with a larger percentage of a combined company.

Discuss Thrower
02-19-2007, 12:23 PM
Anyone want to explain why Sirius and XM can do this, but DirecTV and DishNet cannot?

BigMeatballDave
02-19-2007, 12:45 PM
I flew to Dallas last month and was reading an article about a Chinese automaker. They had created a "first-run" (not a prototype) luxury car that was being compared to a Lexus. They felt they could get adequate profit out of it by retailing it in the US for around NINETEEN THOUSAND.I heard of a sport coupe they had for $10,000 also.

Eric
02-19-2007, 12:49 PM
Sounds criminal.

Expect higher prices now.

Thanks Bush.

htismaqe
02-19-2007, 12:49 PM
Sounds criminal.

Expect higher prices now.

Thanks Bush.

Bush is to blame for a merger between XM and Sirius?

ROFL

Skip Towne
02-19-2007, 12:53 PM
Anyone want to explain why Sirius and XM can do this, but DirecTV and DishNet cannot?
Good point. I'd rather have a choice of two companies not be forced to take the only one. The phone company taught us what that is like.

BigMeatballDave
02-19-2007, 12:54 PM
Bush is to blame for a merger between XM and Sirius?

ROFL
ROFL

memyselfI
02-19-2007, 02:16 PM

Because the two satellite radio networks are still in their infancy and trying to merge before they get too big... :hmmm:

I have mixed emotions about this. I researched both companies and really felt good about going with Sirius because of the heavy rock and sports components. I'm worried some of my favorite channels will be changed because of the overlap with some of the XM channels. From everything I read XM was more hiphop and indy and Sirius was more Rock/Pop oriented.

HemiEd
02-19-2007, 03:35 PM
I flew to Dallas last month and was reading an article about a Chinese automaker. They had created a "first-run" (not a prototype) luxury car that was being compared to a Lexus. They felt they could get adequate profit out of it by retailing it in the US for around NINETEEN THOUSAND.

My people tell me that Buick is the car of choice in China.

"Bob" Dobbs
02-19-2007, 03:42 PM
Here's the biggest hurdle for XM/Sirius. From RRONLINE.COM:

Passing regulatory muster will be the companies biggest fete. The companies each paid about $80 million for FCC licenses in 1996 to operate national only satellite-delivered services. The stipulation at conception was the two satellite operators could not merge operations and the there would remain two separate licenses. During a chat with reporters outside his FCC office in Washington in January, FCC Chairman Kevin Martin emphasized that a merger of Sirius and XM could not happen. The following day in New York, he told another set of reporters and analysts that the rules could be changed. Whether Congress is in the mood for a satellite monopoly remains to be seen.

Spott
02-19-2007, 03:47 PM
I'm sure my satellite radio bill will go up after this.

Spott
02-19-2007, 03:49 PM
Because the two satellite radio networks are still in their infancy and trying to merge before they get too big... :hmmm:

I have mixed emotions about this. I researched both companies and really felt good about going with Sirius because of the heavy rock and sports components. I'm worried some of my favorite channels will be changed because of the overlap with some of the XM channels. From everything I read XM was more hiphop and indy and Sirius was more Rock/Pop oriented.

That's the same reason I went with Sirius. They have a much better selection of rock stations than XM, IMO.