PDA

View Full Version : Well, it was fun while it lasted

Frazod
02-19-2007, 06:02 PM
This weekend the red Mustang goes bye-bye. Over the past month it has really become clear that having a small RWD vehicle with pretty much zero passenger and storage room as my sole means of transportation in an area that gets hit with really crappy weather is somewhat stupid, and the last time I fishtailed on the ice finally tipped the balance of COMMON SENSE over GOD I LOVE THIS CAR.

So I'm replacing it with a 2006 Pontiac G6 sedan, which has FWD and a 4-cylinder engine. My payments, insurance and gas consumption will all go down dramatically.

But that doesn't mean I have to like it. :sulk:

Anyway, I'll be in Kansas City over the weekend. Should have the car crap wrapped up by early afternoon on Saturday, so if anyone would like to get together for a late lunch or a beer, drop me a PM. I'll be hanging out with family that night and retuning to Chicago the next day, so that will pretty much be the extent of the time I have to do anything.

C-Mac
02-19-2007, 06:09 PM
Dude, sorry to hear of your loss.

Ari Chi3fs
02-19-2007, 06:11 PM
Dude, you are a Cardinals fan... no one wants to hang out with you.

ChiefsFanatic
Why don't you at least get a V-6? Four cylinders is just not enough to drive on the highway, or anywhere for that matter.

NewChief
I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to sports cars, but is there a reason that they still make these types of things in RWD? I assume it has something to do with the "traditional" method of engineering a muscle car, but does it give you some kind of speed/performance boost? I just don't get why they still make RWD cars.

Bwana
02-19-2007, 06:14 PM
Awww bullshit Tim. Go buy yourself a "rig" like your uncle Bwana has. A big ass crew cab truck (a lift kit is a bonus) and abuse the snow and people that get out of line with their cars.

Simplex3
02-19-2007, 06:16 PM
A G6??? Does the castration come with the car or is that extra?

Bob Dole
02-19-2007, 06:19 PM
Why don't you at least get a V-6? Four cylinders is just not enough to drive on the highway, or anywhere for that matter.

Not necessary true. Bob Dole's CX-7 has a 4banger that puts out 244 horsepower and 258 lb.-ft. of torque, which gives it plenty of zip for what it is.

recxjake
02-19-2007, 06:19 PM
This weekend the red Mustang goes bye-bye. Over the past month it has really become clear that having a small RWD vehicle with pretty much zero passenger and storage room as my sole means of transportation in an area that gets hit with really crappy weather is somewhat stupid, and the last time I fishtailed on the ice finally tipped the balance of COMMON SENSE over GOD I LOVE THIS CAR.

So I'm replacing it with a 2006 Pontiac G6 sedan, which has FWD and a 4-cylinder engine. My payments, insurance and gas consumption will all go down dramatically.

Anyway, I'll be in Kansas City over the weekend. Should have the car crap wrapped up by early afternoon on Saturday, so if anyone would like to get together for a late lunch or a beer, drop me a PM. I'll be hanging out with family that night and retuning to Chicago the next day, so that will pretty much be the extent of the time I have to do anything.

New? You want the GM Supplier discount?

Bearcat
02-19-2007, 06:24 PM
That sucks... I went from a v6 Beretta, which I thought was really nice for highway driving, to a v8, and I don't know if I can ever go back.

300 horsepower and front wheel drive... best of both worlds :)

http://www.chevrolet.com/i/pic/montecarlo/2007/photogallery/ext_gallery03.jpg

SLAG
02-19-2007, 06:28 PM
i think you can get a V8 on the G6 that will shut down to 4 cyl. to save on gas..

Nice to see your putting the Rustang away and going GM!

;)

Frazod
02-19-2007, 06:28 PM
I'm getting this particular car because I'm getting a tremendous deal on it (buying it from my uncle).

I would prefer a V6, but oh well. The next time some psycho raghead blows something up that causes the price of gas to go up $2 a gallon, I'll be glad I got the 4-cylinder model.

Of course, I won't be glad UNTIL that happens.

And I think the castration is included, Simplex. Thank you very much.

:deevee:

Bacon Cheeseburger
02-19-2007, 08:27 PM
A G6??? Does the castration come with the car or is that extra?
That's kinda harsh, he isn't buying a minivan.

keg in kc
02-19-2007, 08:39 PM
We had a G6 in Hawaii, Tim. Wasn't a bad car.

Phobia
02-19-2007, 08:43 PM
That's kinda harsh, he isn't buying a minivan.

Ouch.

el borracho
02-19-2007, 08:45 PM
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:ZSlCPdymreJVUM:http://images.consumerguide.com/autoreview/400x266/2006-Pontiac-G6-06129491990005.JPG

Frazod
02-19-2007, 08:51 PM
It's not a bad-looking vehicle. It'll be nice to have a functional backseat that somebody other than a legless midget can fit in again.

This is similar to one I'm getting:

RNR
02-19-2007, 09:03 PM
It's not a bad-looking vehicle. It'll be nice to have a functional backseat that somebody other than a legless midget can fit in again.

No not bad at all, also you don't have to worry about getting racked when you hit a big bump now that your nuts are gone :)

Frazod
02-19-2007, 09:07 PM
No not bad at all, also you don't have to worry about getting racked when you hit a big bump now that your nuts are gone :)

et tu, Redneck? :(

RNR
02-19-2007, 09:30 PM
et tu, Redneck? :(
et tu whats that? Anyway just fuggin with you. I'm going through almost the same thing. I have owned a truck my whole life and am thinking about getting something else. I am tired of getting 10-13 MPG helping EVERYONE I KNOW MOVE! The catch is small trucks don't have enough room and for some reason I can't pitcure myself driving a car. I have been checking out the smaller SUVs but they don't get much better gas mileage than my truck.

Bacon Cheeseburger
02-19-2007, 09:32 PM
et tu whats that? Anyway just fuggin with you. I'm going through almost the same thing. I have owned a truck my whole life and am thinking about getting something else. I am tierd of getting 10-13 MPG helping EVERYONE I KNOW MOVE! The catch is small trucks don't have enough room and for some reason I can't pitcure myself driving a car. I have been checking out the smaller SUVs but they don't get much better gas mileage than my truck.
*cough* minivan *cough*

Simplex3
02-19-2007, 09:35 PM
And I think the castration is included, Simplex. Thank you very much.

:deevee:
Hey, just don't get all pissed off and shoot the fridge.

Simplex3
*cough* minivan *cough*
Minivans: It's what wives are for.

RNR
*cough* minivan *cough*
NOT GOING TO HAPPEN....*cough the thought did cross my mind*

Simplex3
02-19-2007, 09:38 PM
It's actually nice to have. I got the extended one so I can lay a 4x8 sheet of plywood in it and close the back door. It's like a truck in that I can put stuff in the back, but not like a truck when I fill up. Also, when some "buddy" I haven't heard from in years wants help moving I just tell them the wife and kids have the minivan that day.

Extra Point
02-19-2007, 09:40 PM
Nice pick, although it looks like a length-chopped 95 Cirrus.

You made the right pick, Fraze.

Phobia
02-19-2007, 09:41 PM
We bought a Toyota mini-van last year. I threatened to tint the windows because I was a little embarrassed about it. It's actually great. I love it.

boogblaster
02-19-2007, 09:41 PM
mini ... thats just sounds wrong ....

Simplex3
02-19-2007, 09:42 PM
mini ... thats just sounds wrong ....
They're for men who are secure in the fact that they don't have a mini-c**k.

Bacon Cheeseburger
02-19-2007, 09:43 PM
That was the exact same chain of thoughts I had right before I bought my first one. I'm six foot tall so I don't fit in most cars or small trucks very well, and I didn't want some gas-guzzling beast that I can't fit into my garage. Hell, it's not like I'd be any less of a dork if I drove something cool.

Simplex3
02-19-2007, 09:44 PM
That was the exact same chain of thoughts I had right before I bought my first one. I'm six foot tall so I don't fit in most cars or small trucks very well, and I didn't want some gas-guzzling beast that I can't fit into my garage. Hell, it's not like I'd be any less of a dork if I drove something cool.
Ok, there are some exceptions to the rule in post #29.

Dunit35
02-19-2007, 09:49 PM

My brother bought a G6 before x-mas. Really nice looking car.

http://photos.pe.facebook.com/v47/128/87/167200887/n167200887_30070062_9326.jpg

boogblaster
02-19-2007, 09:51 PM
mini is wrong plex, teeni is your bag ..

RNR
02-19-2007, 09:53 PM
Quit playing sports check
What hair that is left is turning gray check
Read the news before the sports check
Stay home on a weekend night and think nothing of it check
Sold truck to get a mini-van...errr....errr...I can't do it!

Silock
02-19-2007, 09:56 PM

My 4 cylinder runs 13s N/A, with just an intake, exhaust and chip. That's not too bad.

Silock
02-19-2007, 09:59 PM
I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to sports cars, but is there a reason that they still make these types of things in RWD? I assume it has something to do with the "traditional" method of engineering a muscle car, but does it give you some kind of speed/performance boost? I just don't get why they still make RWD cars.

Because your tires can only do so much. They have a limited amount of grip that can be applied. So, if they're doing too much turning, they're not doing enough acceleration, and vice versa. What that means for RWD cars is that the rear tires can devote their grip to acceleration while the front tires devote their grip to turning.

RWD is the best for drag racing, too. It is traditionally better for all kinds of racing, but modern AWD systems can really do well, and beat RWD.

FWD is the worst kind of system for any kind of performance driving. Absolutely terrible.

Rausch
02-19-2007, 09:59 PM

All moves that seem to save you money in the long run.

Good judgement never seems sexy...

SBK
02-19-2007, 10:00 PM

RWD is a better performer. BMW and Mercedes don't have any front wheel drive cars at all.

ChiefFan31
02-19-2007, 10:09 PM
Can't say I blame you for selling the Stang.

If I had to live in shitty weather, it would really have to be a garage toy/weekend warrior with another car for a daily driver.

Lots of Cobra guys on the site I post on, store their's in the winter. I would want to do the same. 450 ft/lbs of Torque at 2000 rpm does not bode well for rain/snow.

Skip Towne
02-19-2007, 10:09 PM
:LOL:

Skip Towne
02-19-2007, 10:12 PM
Quit playing sports check
What hair that is left is turning gray check
Read the news before the sports check
Stay home on a weekend night and think nothing of it check
Sold truck to get a mini-van...errr....errr...I can't do it!
Why not? I've got two of them. But I'm 62 years old so it is OK.

Extra Point
02-19-2007, 10:14 PM
I still can't believe that Ford didn't turn the Mustang into front wheel drive, the same time as discontinuing the Taurus! They would have saved a shitoad of money on tooling, and brought better tech to the market, using the same underbody!!!!

Frazod
02-19-2007, 10:23 PM
All moves that seem to save you money in the long run.

Good judgement never seems sexy...

No, it doesn't. Damn responsibility. :cuss:

I thought about you and Diane earlier when I first posted this. The last time I saw her she said that every time she sees me I have a different car. I guess the next time I'm in Jeff City I'll still be true to form. :D

Frazod
02-19-2007, 10:26 PM
I still can't believe that Ford didn't turn the Mustang into front wheel drive, the same time as discontinuing the Taurus! They would have saved a shitoad of money on tooling, and brought better tech to the market, using the same underbody!!!!
If the car had FWD, I wouldn't have even considered getting rid of it.

Oh well. I'm sure whoever gets it next will enjoy the hell out of it (at least when the weather's nice). I've had my fun.

Extra Point
02-19-2007, 10:27 PM
What year was the Stang?

Frazod
02-19-2007, 10:29 PM
What year was the Stang?
2005. It was the first year for the retro styling.

jjjayb
02-19-2007, 11:09 PM

http://www.rearwheeldrive.org/rwd/rwdbenefits.htm
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=43847
http://www.canadiandriver.com/winter/020619.htm

Rear wheel drive has better performance and handling. The biggest benefit of front wheel drive is better traction in snow and ice due to the weight of the engine being over the drive wheels. The biggest reason for so many FWD cars? Cheaper to manufacture.

Frazod
02-24-2007, 09:57 PM
Well, after much consternation I decided that there was no way in hell I could drive a 4-cylinder car again, so I got an Impala. While it is both unremarkable and unexciting :( it is comfortable, has some power, and handles very well in shitty weather. I just got home from Kansas City and road conditions were ghastly.

StcChief
02-24-2007, 10:03 PM

Yep. Owning a newer Muscle car is a luxury.
I would avoid the "Holden" aka G6.....

Great AVI.... I stolen your avi for later use. REP.

Cards are gonna be another great team this year.

Unlike the Royals. who will be lucky to win 81.

Frazod
02-24-2007, 10:15 PM
Yep. Owning a newer Muscle car is a luxury.
I would avoid the "Holden" aka G6.....

Great AVI.... I stolen your avi for later use. REP.

If that G6 had had just a bit more punch, I might have gotten it. But I tend to drive rather aggressively, and it's kind of hard to do that with a 4-cylinder. But I liked the car itself. For a sedan, it was sharp and sporty and handled well.

And you're welcome for the avatar. :thumb: While I don't wish bad things upon the Royals, I do the Cards will have another good season.

Bob Dole
02-24-2007, 10:20 PM
There's a cherry '66 Mustang, 289, 3-speed for sale here for a cool $20k if any pony fans are interested.

http://www.nationalautoclassics.com/sitebuilder/images/2e82_4-480x357.jpg

Cochise
02-24-2007, 10:20 PM
Impalas are nice cars. I am sure it will be preferable to ice skating in the Mustang :D

Phobia
02-24-2007, 10:25 PM
Dude, I forgot you were gonna be around. I'd have loved to grab a beverage with you. Next time.

Frazod
02-24-2007, 10:26 PM
It does have some neat standard features, including remote start (never had that before). It's also nice to have storage space and a real backseat again. And it's much more comfortable for long drives.

Frazod
02-24-2007, 10:29 PM
Dude, I forgot you were gonna be around. I'd have loved to grab a beverage with you. Next time.
I left right after I got the car on account of the shitty weather, so I couldn't have done anything anyway. We'll do it next time.

Although I did find the time to hit Sports Nutz. :D

Rain Man
02-24-2007, 10:31 PM
There's a cherry '66 Mustang, 289, 3-speed for sale here for a cool $20k if any pony fans are interested.

Why is the logo on the grill off center? Weren't they always in the center?

And frazod, you know what car you should consider? A Pontiac Vibe.

Frazod
02-24-2007, 10:34 PM
And frazod, you know what car you should consider? A Pontiac Vibe.

Already had one - prior to the Mustang. I liked it alot.

Won't be considering any more cars for a while. :)

Bob Dole
02-24-2007, 10:36 PM

Not a clue. Although Bob Dole owned a '69 convertible model briefly, Bob Dole has never been much of a Mustang fan.

Bob Dole
02-24-2007, 10:52 PM

Here's a stock photo of a '66 model with the emblem on the left.

A brief Google search isn't turning up any explanation, though.

http://www.worldofstock.com/closeups/TRC1713.php

BigRedChief
02-24-2007, 10:54 PM
2005. It was the first year for the retro styling.
Thats my model of Stang right there.
How did I miss this thread? Sorry I missed you this weekend. Could have given you a ride to the airport in my mustang with the Cardinal plates. Make you feel right at home.

I don't have a problem getting around in my mustang. I have the anti-lock brakes and the traction control from the factory. I put about 200 lbs of sand in the back and I can get around anywhere.

Frazod
02-24-2007, 10:56 PM
Here's a stock photo of a '66 model with the emblem on the left.

A brief Google search isn't turning up any explanation, though.

http://www.worldofstock.com/closeups/TRC1713.php

I was looking through a book on muscle cars that I have - seems to be kind of random. Perhaps the different grilles were simply the result of different option packages. :shrug:

Bob Dole
02-24-2007, 11:09 PM
I was looking through a book on muscle cars that I have - seems to be kind of random. Perhaps the different grilles were simply the result of different option packages. :shrug:

The guy that owns it is a friend and a 2nd generation car dealer, and he's pretty anal retentive about most things. Bob Dole has sent him a note asking why it's where it is.

Rain Man
02-24-2007, 11:19 PM
Eh...maybe my memory is just off on it. I grew up around tons of Mustangs, though, because my dad restored them and it jumped out at me. Perhaps my dad just always put them in the middle and shouldn't have.

And frazod, yeah, I remember your Vibe. I think I've known you through four cars now: Impala, Mustang, Vibe, and if I remember right, Monte Carlo? The data indicates that you tend to buy American.

Bob Dole
02-24-2007, 11:21 PM
Eh...maybe my memory is just off on it. I grew up around tons of Mustangs, though, because my dad restored them and it jumped out at me. Perhaps my dad just always put them in the middle and shouldn't have.

It appears that there are at least 3 different grill emblem variations, but Bob Dole will be damned if he can find what determines what dictates which one a particular model sports.

recxjake
02-24-2007, 11:23 PM

And frazod, yeah, I remember your Vibe. I think I've known you through four cars now: Impala, Mustang, Vibe, and if I remember right, Monte Carlo? The data indicates that you tend to buy American.

the Vibe isn't 100% American... it is built in a Toyota plant via a joint GM/Toyo project in California.

Frazod
02-24-2007, 11:39 PM

And frazod, yeah, I remember your Vibe. I think I've known you through four cars now: Impala, Mustang, Vibe, and if I remember right, Monte Carlo? The data indicates that you tend to buy American.All my cars have been American (at least in name). Semi-exceptions are the Vibe, which I knew to be a Toyota Matrix with a Pontiac grille, and my '99 Monte Carlo, which was assembled in some distant land called Canada. :D

Since 1983, my cars have been (in the order I bought them):

'77 Chevy Monza
'86 Mercury Lynx
'85 Olds Cutlass Supreme
'84 Ford EXP
'92 Olds Achieva
'99 Mercury Cougar
'99 Chevy Monte Carlo
'03 Pontiac Vibe
'05 Ford Mustang
'06 Chevy Impala

None of these UAW f#ckers can ever accuse me of costing them their jobs.

recxjake
02-24-2007, 11:42 PM
All my cars have been American (at least in name). Semi-exceptions are the Vibe, which I knew to be a Toyota Matrix with a Pontiac grille, and my '99 Monte Carlo, which was assembled in some distant land called Canada. :D

Since 1983, my cars have been (in the order I bought them):

'77 Chevy Monza
'86 Mercury Lynx
'85 Olds Cutlass Supreme
'84 Ford EXP
'92 Olds Achieva
'99 Mercury Cougar
'99 Chevy Monte Carlo
'03 Pontiac Vibe
'05 Ford Mustang
'06 Chevy Impala

None of these UAW f#ckers can ever accuse me of costing them their jobs.

did you get a good deal on your 06 Imapala?

Rain Man
02-24-2007, 11:43 PM
It appears that there are at least 3 different grill emblem variations, but Bob Dole will be damned if he can find what determines what dictates which one a particular model sports.

This dude mentions only the center placement. http://www.breithaupts.com/totc319.htm

The only different models they had at that point were the Shelby, which would be noticeably different in many other ways, the coupe, the fastback, and the convertible. Perhaps it has something to do with the engine size, but they only had a 6-cyl and an 8-cyl.

I'll ask my dad next time I talk to him, to see if he knows anything about it.

Frazod
02-24-2007, 11:46 PM
did you get a good deal on your 06 Imapala?

Yes. I bought it from a family member for just over dealer cost.

recxjake
02-24-2007, 11:49 PM

I think the Impala is really underrated... I hope you like it

Frazod
02-25-2007, 12:05 AM
I think the Impala is really underrated... I hope you like it

I do like it.

But a silver Impala is more than a couple of steps down the excitement ladder from a red Mustang.

SPchief
02-25-2007, 12:08 AM
the Vibe isn't 100% American... it is built in a Toyota plant via a joint GM/Toyo project in California.

So why all the hate on Toyota?

Frazod
02-25-2007, 12:10 AM

I certainly didn't hate mine. For a 4-cylinder, that little bastard had some giddy-up. If the G6 I test drove had had that same engine, I'd have bought it.

SPchief
02-25-2007, 12:11 AM
I certainly didn't hate mine. For a 4-cylinder, that little bastard had some giddy-up. If the G6 I test drove had had that same engine, I'd have bought it.

I was refering to Rex's disdain with Toyota

Frazod
02-25-2007, 12:13 AM
I was refering to Rex's disdain with Toyota

I think he was just stating a fact. The Vibe was a Pontiac only in name.

recxjake
02-25-2007, 12:13 AM

1 car has nothing to do with problem as a whole. Like I've said before... I would have no problem with Toyota if they beat Detroit by playing on a level playing field... but they aren't they have many advantages... but I am not going to get into all this for the 1,000th time on this board.

recxjake
02-25-2007, 12:14 AM

correct

SPchief
02-25-2007, 12:15 AM

Which was my original point. He has all of this hate for Toyota/Jap cars, but his favorite company is profiting from them. I could care less, but was just trying to get a rise out of him.

recxjake
02-25-2007, 12:16 AM
Which was my original point. He has all of this hate for Toyota/Jap cars, but his favorite company is profiting from them. I could care less, but was just trying to get a rise out of him.

They are not profiting from them one bit... The Vibe's sales are pathetic now... it's done after this year

Frazod
02-25-2007, 12:20 AM
They are not profiting from them one bit... The Vibe's sales are pathetic now... it's done after this year

Pontiac didn't do themselves any favors by splitting up previously combined option packages, thereby ridiculously hiking prices. I looked a new Vibe last week and was really put off by how much the cost had risen.

recxjake
02-25-2007, 12:24 AM
Pontiac didn't do themselves any favors by splitting up previously combined option packages, thereby ridiculously hiking prices. I looked a new Vibe last week and was really put off by how much the cost had risen.

Yea they really messed that one up... never really marketed it very well either

Silock
02-25-2007, 12:54 AM
Not to mention it was ugly as shit. Typical Pontiac.

acesn8s
02-25-2007, 12:56 AM

Anyway, I'll be in Kansas City over the weekend. Should have the car crap wrapped up by early afternoon on Saturday, so if anyone would like to get together for a late lunch or a beer, drop me a PM. I'll be hanging out with family that night and retuning to Chicago the next day, so that will pretty much be the extent of the time I have to do anything.My condolences.:(

burt
02-25-2007, 07:48 AM

Just over invoice, or dealer cost? I know a certain Chevy Sales Manager that you don't like much that would have given you a stellar deal....just to piss you off! Heck, I might have lost money just to piss you off more! We have sold enough Vettes this month that losing a few bucks wouldn't have hurt my average gross much at all.

Bob Dole
04-17-2007, 03:42 PM

Price just lowered to $15k if anyone is interested.

Slick32
04-17-2007, 04:04 PM
Price just lowered to $15k if anyone is interested.

Is that Mustang in as good of shape as it looks in the picture? What is the interior like? How about under the hood?

Have you considered putting it up on ebay? I've seen some pretty crappy cars go for $30k and up. I have a '70 Chevelle I'm getting repainted and it's appraised value is $30K.

COchief
04-17-2007, 04:32 PM
Is that Mustang in as good of shape as it looks in the picture? What is the interior like? How about under the hood?

Have you considered putting it up on ebay? I've seen some pretty crappy cars go for $30k and up. I have a '70 Chevelle I'm getting repainted and it's appraised value is $30K.

Those mustangs aren't worth shit, look at the sales figures for the 60's. They are as rare as a civic. Only worth anything if it's a rare car or convertable. That guy will be lucky to get 12 for it.

Fraz, congrats on the new car buddy, hope you like it. :rockon:

DJJasonp
04-17-2007, 06:08 PM
Fraz, I feel for you....but I've come close to doing the same with my '05 Avalanche. The bastard gas stations in southern california are killing me on gas (3.25-3.50 a gallon)...and did I mention I average 13.4 MPG?????!!!!

I looked at the G6's....the convertible is pretty sharp.

Frazod
04-17-2007, 06:11 PM
Fraz, I feel for you....but I've come close to doing the same with my '05 Avalanche. The bastard gas stations in southern california are killing me on gas (3.25-3.50 a gallon)...and did I mention I average 13.4 MPG?????!!!!

I looked at the G6's....the convertible is pretty sharp.

This is an old thread - I actually ended up getting an Impala (I just couldn't do the 4-cylinder thing).

Fairplay
04-17-2007, 06:15 PM
This is an old thread - I actually ended up getting an Impala (I just couldn't do the 4-cylinder thing).

I can't even think about a 4 cylinder. No way.