PDA

View Full Version : Why is the media sucking Norv Turner's cock?

SNR
02-19-2007, 11:55 PM
This guy is a terrible head coach. It's been proven. His record shows. Why do people still regard him as an "offensive guru" when the last hint of success came as an offensive coordinator for a team that had a hell of an offensive line, Troy Aikman in his prime, and Emmitt Smith?

L.A. Chieffan
02-19-2007, 11:57 PM
That's not a pretty sight.

Psyko Tek
02-19-2007, 11:58 PM
They build them up so they can tear them down

boogblaster
02-20-2007, 12:02 AM
cause his mother won't

chefsos
02-20-2007, 12:07 AM
I think it's simply because they enjoy saying, "Norv".

FAX
02-20-2007, 12:31 AM
I don't see another 14 win season in the Dolt's near future. Yet, I think Norv is a pretty good choice for them. Given the right talent, he can scheme one heck of an offense.

It's a good thing we don't have to worry about outscoring them.

FAX

Guru
02-20-2007, 12:44 AM
This guy is a terrible head coach. It's been proven. His record shows. Why do people still regard him as an "offensive guru" when the last hint of success came as an offensive coordinator for a team that had a hell of an offensive line, Troy Aikman in his prime, and Emmitt Smith?

The media loves the Chargers remember.

FDS
02-20-2007, 01:48 AM
Because LT will have the Madden curse to deal with. Rivers will come back to earth, like his last couple of games. And Merriman is off the juice. Who's left to blow?

PBJ FirstDownSamie PBJ

Rausch
02-20-2007, 01:53 AM

HE'S AN EXCELLENT OC, HORRIBLE HC.

*TIME FOR A NEW KEYBOARD*

King_Chief_Fan
02-20-2007, 07:54 AM
I don't see another 14 win season in the Dolt's near future. Yet, I think Norv is a pretty good choice for them. Given the right talent, he can scheme one heck of an offense.

It's a good thing we don't have to worry about outscoring them.

FAX

rep for using the most stupid line Herm uses.

jidar
02-20-2007, 08:02 AM
well... Norv has a helluva an O line and a great qb and running back now. Truthfully, the Bolts are still going to be tough, even without Marty.

ck_IN
02-20-2007, 08:08 AM
<i>cause his mother won't</i>

Enter Redrum in 3 2 1...

Uh Jidar, you consider Rivers to be a great QB? At the moment I'd rate him adequate with the potential to be great.

Brock
02-20-2007, 08:09 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Chargers in the Super Bowl next year, but to suddenly act like Norv's got real head coaching credentials is pretty ridiculous.

Direckshun
02-20-2007, 08:17 AM
Why do people still regard him as an "offensive guru" when the last hint of success came as an offensive coordinator for a team that had a hell of an offensive line, Troy Aikman in his prime, and Emmitt Smith?
Because he did pretty damn good with that team, and now he's inherited an equally talented team?

Pushead2
02-20-2007, 08:29 AM
I think the Bolts made an OK choice , but man is his head coaching record horrid......He definitely got a good team handed to him, let's see how he uses it.

chagrin
02-20-2007, 08:45 AM
Well, he did do pretty well for Alex Smith over the past year, so he is a good OC, but head coach, no way

Lzen
02-20-2007, 09:28 AM
I had this discussion with my FIL last night. And he couldn't understand why I was asking the same question. Norv Turner has a good record as an OC. He has a horrible record as a head coach. What I say is that until he proves otherwise, I think he sucks as a HC. I think this is good for the Chiefs.

Stinger
02-20-2007, 09:32 AM
Actually the only positive I have heard from the pundits is that he helps develop young qbs. Other than that eh. I have heard a few rip on the Dolts for this hire.

Lzen
02-20-2007, 09:34 AM
Actually the only positive I have heard from the pundits is that he helps develop young qbs. Other than that eh. I have heard a few rip on the Dolts for this hire.

I only saw about 50 promos for why this is a good hire during the KU/KSU game last night. :rolleyes: ESPN seems to think he's the bees knees.

Rain Man
02-20-2007, 10:17 AM
I love the fact that teams are choosing to recycle worn-out .500-level coaches this year. "Norv Turner? Bring him in! Wade Phillips? Sure, hire him, and yeah, let him hire his son as an assistant, too. What the heck - who cares about qualifications!"

Rain Man
02-20-2007, 10:23 AM
Because he did pretty damn good with that team, and now he's inherited an equally talented team?

The promising thing, though, is that unless Norv uses the exact same system as Marty, they'll take some steps backwards as the new coaching staff installs their own system, and the talent in System 1 might not be well-suited for System 2.

I don't pay attention to these things. Can anyone comment on the similarities and differences between the Marty/Cameron offensive philosophy and the Norv offense?

kc rush
02-20-2007, 10:46 AM
The promising thing, though, is that unless Norv uses the exact same system as Marty, they'll take some steps backwards as the new coaching staff installs their own system, and the talent in System 1 might not be well-suited for System 2.

I don't pay attention to these things. Can anyone comment on the similarities and differences between the Marty/Cameron offensive philosophy and the Norv offense?

Norv taught Cameron, so the offense should be ok depending upon who the new O-coordinator is. Probably some learning curve.

Now that Rivera is part of the D coaching staff, I'm a little nervous.

The biggest knock I've heard on Turner is that he has no control over his players. He'll have to have a strong supporting coaching staff to succeed for any length of time.

Mecca
02-20-2007, 10:59 AM
Norv is a pretty blah hire, all it really does his keeps cohesiveness on the offense since he's the guy who put the offense in there to begin with.

Norv's actually made the playoffs a couple times which is odd considering how crappy a coach he is. It's pretty much don't screw this up a Barry Switzer type hire, ah well if he does they'll just hire Ron Rivera next year, he didn't take that job out there for no reason.