PDA

View Full Version : For you Baby Boomers...

CosmicPal
02-20-2007, 09:24 AM
This is a cool site.

Remember the Klackers? The Whee-Lo? Remember full-service gas stations? Candy cigarettes and wax lips? Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots?

Then, this is the site to spark all those childhood memories for you...

http://www.irememberjfk.com/mt/

38yrsfan
02-20-2007, 09:58 AM
yep, brings back a few memories ..... thanks

Stewie
02-20-2007, 10:08 AM
Heh, push button car radios. Hell, my mom had a Dodge station wagon that had a push button gear selector.

HemiEd
02-20-2007, 10:12 AM
Lots of fun on there. I had forgotten about biting into those wax things to get the colored water out. LMAO

HemiEd
02-20-2007, 10:13 AM
Heh, push button car radios. Hell, my mom had a Dodge station wagon that had a push button gear selector.

It had to be a 56 to 64 model. :D

chagrin
02-20-2007, 10:14 AM
Hey, I'm not a baby boomer and I know many of those things

Kraut
02-20-2007, 10:15 AM
Hell, I'm a Gen Xer and remember that stuff

chagrin
02-20-2007, 10:19 AM
True, I wasn't around when they all first started, or came out, etc

chefsos
02-20-2007, 10:33 AM
Oh, man. That Mattel Thingmaker (http://www.irememberjfk.com/mt/2006/11/the_mattel_thingmaker.html#more) was frickin' awesome.

bbbaldie
02-20-2007, 05:43 PM
Thanks, Cosmicpal, and all others for your kind words.

I was thrilled when Lenny, Otis, and the rest evened up the AFL score in 1970. When Jan couldn't make a field goal against those stinking Dolphins in postseason 1971, AARGH!

And I created the I Remember JFK site in November.

I'm coming off a couple of traffic blasts, from Pirillo's Picks and a mention on CBS's The Early Show last Saturday.

I'm a Boomer, born in 1959, and I'm having an absolute ball putting my memories out there, and I'm getting a response like I never imagined.

Please keep tuning in, I post a new memory daily. AND THANKS AGAIN!

Skip Towne
02-20-2007, 06:01 PM
We called that "typewriter drive".

bbbaldie
02-20-2007, 06:14 PM
http://www.irememberjfk.com/mt/2007/01/pushbutton_transmissions.html

sd4chiefs
02-20-2007, 06:15 PM
http://www.irememberjfk.com/mt/2007/01/punch_card_bills.html#more

Boy were these a pain in the ass. I used them in college. You would create a program with them and give it to the computer center to run. It would take a couple of hours to get it back only to find out it did not run because you made a 'keypunch error'. It was just one step away from stone knifes and bear skins.

Bob Dole
02-20-2007, 06:22 PM
http://www.irememberjfk.com/mt/2007/01/punch_card_bills.html#more

Boy were these a pain in the ass. I used them in college. You would create a program with them and give it to the computer center to run. It would take a couple of hours to get it back only to find out it did not run because you made a 'keypunch error'. It was just one step away from stone knifes and bear skins.

Punch cards used to be one of our most common sights. Dumpsters outside office buildings would contain hundreds of thousands of them, long before recycling caught on.

Does this mean Bob Dole's dad was a trendsetting ecologist? When we asked for toys, we got a box of old punchcards. Recycling at its finest.

Bob Dole
02-20-2007, 06:28 PM
The Big Chief tablet (http://www.irememberjfk.com/mt/2007/02/the_big_chief_tablet.html) one is good.

Bob Dole finally realized he was officially old when one day at work, he informed a constantly confused computer end-user that if she didn't stop calling, Bob Dole was going to take her computer away and give her a Big Chief tablet and a fat pencil.

She had no clue what Bob Dole was talking about.

bogie
02-20-2007, 06:42 PM
The Big Chief tablet (http://www.irememberjfk.com/mt/2007/02/the_big_chief_tablet.html) one is good.

Bob Dole finally realized he was officially old when one day at work, he informed a constantly confused computer end-user that if she didn't stop calling, Bob Dole was going to take her computer away and give her a Big Chief tablet and a fat pencil.

She had no clue what Bob Dole was talking about.

I have often said to some of my younger co-workers that this computer thing is just a fad and soon we will be going back to Big Chief tablets. All I get is a blank stare.

RedNeckRaider
02-20-2007, 06:47 PM
I was three years old when JFK got shot, I guess I'm what you call a late boomer. I do recall the day I got old. I was rolling my cart around trying to fill the mile long list my wife had given me (after her saying something along the lines of "try not to screw this up") anyway music is playing in the back ground. As I shop three or four songs had played and I came to a stop! I knew every word to those songs! in fact I could remember when they were hip! At that point I knew being cool was no longer a option for me I had become my dad.

Braincase
02-20-2007, 07:05 PM
I remember my dad giving me a Radio Shack 50-in-1 set when I was 6 or so. Learned circuits young. Thanks Dad.

Braincase
02-20-2007, 07:21 PM
I lived in Hickman Mills for about a year, half of 3rd grade, first half of 4th grade. Loved Channel 41 after school, with Johnny Sokko and His Giant Robot (good guys from Unicorn battling the evil forces of Gargoyle from ther Planet Guillotine!), Ultraman, Speed Racer then classic ST:TOS. Double Creature Features with Uncle Ed....

stevieray
02-20-2007, 07:48 PM
I lived in Hickman Mills for about a year, half of 3rd grade, first half of 4th grade. Loved Channel 41 after school, with Johnny Sokko and His Giant Robot (good guys from Unicorn battling the evil forces of Gargoyle from ther Planet Guillotine!), Ultraman, Speed Racer then classic ST:TOS. Double Creature Features with Uncle Ed....

CosmicPal
02-20-2007, 11:03 PM
Thanks, Cosmicpal, and all others for your kind words.

I was thrilled when Lenny, Otis, and the rest evened up the AFL score in 1970. When Jan couldn't make a field goal against those stinking Dolphins in postseason 1971, AARGH!

And I created the I Remember JFK site in November.

I'm coming off a couple of traffic blasts, from Pirillo's Picks and a mention on CBS's The Early Show last Saturday.

I'm a Boomer, born in 1959, and I'm having an absolute ball putting my memories out there, and I'm getting a response like I never imagined.

Please keep tuning in, I post a new memory daily. AND THANKS AGAIN!

Whoa! How'd you find us? I take it someone commented on your site...that's great.

I can't recall where it was I heard about it, but your site sparked so many fond childhood memories, that I just felt like I had to share it with the others.

You should mention the Big Wheel. Every kid in my neighborhood while growing up in OPKS had a Big Wheel.

bbbaldie
02-21-2007, 05:52 AM
<i>Whoa! How'd you find us? I take it someone commented on your site...that's great.

I can't recall where it was I heard about it, but your site sparked so many fond childhood memories, that I just felt like I had to share it with the others.

You should mention the Big Wheel. Every kid in my neighborhood while growing up in OPKS had a Big Wheel.</i>

I noticed traffic coming from chiefsplanet.com. And being a Chiefs fan, I thought I'd investigate further.

I work with several Boomers, and we have some great breakroom discussions about obscure memories. One day a light bulb went off: put up a website and start posting them!

I suppose one day the well will run dry, but I figure I have at least a thousand posts running around in my head right now! The challenge is getting them jotted down as I come up with 'em.

I never had a Big Wheel, or I would have probably covered it. But at your suggestion, I'll make it my next one, appearing on Friday. Look for it!

Inspector
02-21-2007, 06:15 AM
High noon cartoons with Charlie horse.
Torey and old gus
Howdy Doody
Tinker Toys and Lincoln logs.

Yeah, memories....

Kerberos
02-21-2007, 08:04 AM
Anyone else on here remember laying in the BACK window of the car while your mom and/or dad was driving down the highway/road?

Don't see that sh!t going on anymore! It would be a $250 ticket and an automatic visit from your friendly children services office telling you that you are in violation of laws concerning child abuse. :shake:

That and riding in back of the pickup as dad drove down the highway or road? I rode in back ALL the time as a kid.

Don't see much of that anymore either or at least not in Kansas.

CosmicPal
02-21-2007, 09:39 AM
I noticed traffic coming from chiefsplanet.com. And being a Chiefs fan, I thought I'd investigate further.

Ahhh yes, it did occur to me after posting that you can view the traffic that comes to your site.

I suppose one day the well will run dry, but I figure I have at least a thousand posts running around in my head right now! The challenge is getting them jotted down as I come up with 'em.

It sounds like a fun challenge though...

I never had a Big Wheel, or I would have probably covered it. But at your suggestion, I'll make it my next one, appearing on Friday. Look for it!

Sweet! I feel so honored. :D

CosmicPal
02-21-2007, 09:44 AM
Anyone else on here remember laying in the BACK window of the car while your mom and/or dad was driving down the highway/road?

Don't see that sh!t going on anymore!

I agree with your sentiments. Remember though, the cars our parents were driving were as big as boats.

I remember watching George Carlin one night and he mentioned the same thing: "You know what's wrong with America? Kids nowadays have to wear a helmet for everything! We're turning our kids into pussies...Hell, I bet they got a helmet on while jerking off nowadays too..."

Or something like that...

HemiEd
02-21-2007, 09:51 AM
This thread has stoked old memories. We did not have a lot of toys, but I remember the Cap Guns. They were real cheap and did not always fire the cap. I remember taking a whole roll of the caps and smashing it between two bricks. I think my ears are still ringing from that, close to 50 years ago.

CosmicPal
02-21-2007, 10:08 AM
This thread has stoked old memories. We did not have a lot of toys, but I remember the Cap Guns. They were real cheap and did not always fire the cap. I remember taking a whole roll of the caps and smashing it between two bricks. I think my ears are still ringing from that, close to 50 years ago.

Now THAT brings back memories! I remember owning one of those. Damn near burned my hand half the times shooting those things.

I remember how 4th of July went on for several days as we could play in the streets and blow up Folger's coffee cans with all the firecrackers and bottle rockets a kid could dream of having.

And if a kid burned himself in the neighbor's yard, the parents would just clean him up, pat him on the head and send him home with a piece of candy. Nowadays, the parents are suing the neighbors for allowing their kids to burn themselves with their own firecrackers in their yards. Is it any wonder we have such a negative society these days?

Dartgod
02-21-2007, 10:22 AM
I remember watching George Carlin one night and he mentioned the same thing: "You know what's wrong with America? Kids nowadays have to wear a helmet for everything! We're turning our kids into pussies...Hell, I bet they got a helmet on while jerking off nowadays too..."
You sure that wasn't Ted Nugent?

HemiEd
02-21-2007, 10:40 AM
Now THAT brings back memories! I remember owning one of those. Damn near burned my hand half the times shooting those things.

I remember how 4th of July went on for several days as we could play in the streets and blow up Folger's coffee cans with all the firecrackers and bottle rockets a kid could dream of having.

And if a kid burned himself in the neighbor's yard, the parents would just clean him up, pat him on the head and send him home with a piece of candy. Nowadays, the parents are suing the neighbors for allowing their kids to burn themselves with their own firecrackers in their yards. Is it any wonder we have such a negative society these days?

Yep, things have really changed when you start reflecting. I used to play with a real bow and arrows, doubt if that would be too well accepted now.

bogie
02-21-2007, 10:57 AM

I loved the smell of the caps after they exploded.

Baby Lee
02-21-2007, 11:13 AM
You should mention the Big Wheel. Every kid in my neighborhood while growing up in OPKS had a Big Wheel.
Green Machine pwns joo!!!
http://www.ccn-online.org.uk/uploaded_images/green%20machine-779152.jpg

Baby Lee
02-21-2007, 11:15 AM
Banana Koogle!!!

bogie
02-21-2007, 11:19 AM
If I could post a picture, it would be of a magnifying glass and a dead grasshopper. Hours and hours of good times. Or I would post a melting army man. Did any of you ever melt your army men? Also, I had a full size GI Joe.

bogie
02-21-2007, 11:22 AM
Green Machine pwns joo!!!
http://www.ccn-online.org.uk/uploaded_images/green%20machine-779152.jpg

I think the Big Wheel came after my time, we had tricycles. How old are you's guys.

bbbaldie
02-21-2007, 01:10 PM

DEFINITELY gotta write about using a hammer on a whole roll of caps.

Do they still sell caps? Anybody know?

HemiEd
02-21-2007, 01:33 PM
DEFINITELY gotta write about using a hammer on a whole roll of caps.

Do they still sell caps? Anybody know?

I have no idea, but I can not imagine all of the tree huggin soccer moms allowing it. Did you ever try and smash a whole box? That did not work so well, a big waste. :D

MOhillbilly
02-21-2007, 02:14 PM
i had a spiderman big wheel at my grandmothers in excelsior.

bbbaldie
02-21-2007, 02:18 PM
I have no idea, but I can not imagine all of the tree huggin soccer moms allowing it. Did you ever try and smash a whole box? That did not work so well, a big waste. :D

Only a roll at a time. But it must have possessed the kinetic force of several firecrackers!

HemiEd
02-21-2007, 02:32 PM
Only a roll at a time. But it must have possessed the kinetic force of several firecrackers!

That stuff was little "gun powder" circles, so I imagine that has been curtailed. Wasn't it like 10 cents for a box of 5?

bbbaldie
02-23-2007, 11:34 AM
Did you read today's Big Wheel piece?

http://www.irememberjfk.com/mt/2007/02/the_big_wheel_trike.html