PDA

View Full Version : Dateline..To Catch a Predator

Deberg_1990
02-20-2007, 09:22 PM
IM sort of torn to how i feel about this show. Im not saying that the guys they catch are not wrong, but personally it feels like entrapment to me. They bait these poor saps (who obviously have sexual issues of some sort to work out) into talking about sex and crap prentending to be young boys or girls. Its just wrong...

Tonight they showed an assistant DA is some small town in Texas that shot himself because he knew the police were closing in. Dateline of course ate this story up for all the ratings it could milk.......it just felt wrong to me....

Why didnt they just wait to pick the guy up at the office instead of hunting him down at his house? They at least could have kept him alive....

el borracho
02-20-2007, 09:26 PM
Who cares about keeping a pedophile alive? If indeed he was a pedophile then I am glad he is dead.

HolmeZz
02-20-2007, 09:30 PM
It's uncomfortable watching them squirm and try and lie their way out of it once they're caught. But I still watch.

BWillie
02-20-2007, 09:35 PM
Who cares about keeping a pedophile alive? If indeed he was a pedophile then I am glad he is dead.

I'm not. People with pedophile usually have mental issues. Not saying it's right, but I think they should be punished, and also dealt with in that manner. I don't understand how people think sex offenders are worse than murders and those who commit violent crimes. I'm not so much talking about the guys who rape and hurt young girls down to the age of 3, but guys that try to get it consensual, I don't think they should be punished as harsh as they are.

How is it fare, that if you are 18 and screw a 15 year old, that you get on a list for your entire life as a sex offender, yet if you blow a head off of your GF and her lover when you walk in on them nobody cares.

Deberg_1990
02-20-2007, 09:47 PM
I'm not. People with pedophile usually have mental issues. Not saying it's right, but I think they should be punished, and also dealt with in that manner. I don't understand how people think sex offenders are worse than murders and those who commit violent crimes. I'm not so much talking about the guys who rape and hurt young girls down to the age of 3, but guys that try to get it consensual, I don't think they should be punished as harsh as they are.

How is it fare, that if you are 18 and screw a 15 year old, that you get on a list for your entire life as a sex offender, yet if you blow a head off of your GF and her lover when you walk in on them nobody cares.

I would have to agree. They need to be dealt with in a different manner than the show does it in. Dateline just wants to ridicule these saps for ratings.

Dateline would be better serving these guys if they sought them some counseling and paid for it.

big nasty kcnut
02-20-2007, 10:13 PM
It's funny to me cause stupid evil sick people get busted on tv and try to get out of there.

unothadeal
02-20-2007, 10:31 PM
Be sure to check out my episode next week.

crazycoffey
02-20-2007, 10:52 PM
hey deberg, PM me if you want to talk about sex and stuff, I'm almost 14 and daddy says I'm developing nicely....

boogblaster
02-20-2007, 11:10 PM
Cho-mos have only one thing coming, thats the one-way trip to the woods..bye bye ....

chiefsfan987
02-20-2007, 11:12 PM
I refuse to watch that show. To me it IS entrapment. I disagree with what the pedophile is doing obviously, but to me the show concept (public humiliation) is almost as sick as what those people are doing.

Rain Man
02-20-2007, 11:12 PM
Cho-mos have only one thing coming, thats the one-way trip to the woods..bye bye ....

Ah, yes. Boy scout leaders.

Pitt Gorilla
02-20-2007, 11:13 PM
I appreciate what they do, but I think they screwed up last week. One of the guys that showed up was only 15 years old. Of course, he wasn't arrested. However, Dateline and the police department essentially lured him to a house by pretending to be an underaged girl looking for sex; they pretended to be a young girl to lure an underage boy to the house for sex. Shouldn't they be prosecuted?!?

Rain Man
02-20-2007, 11:15 PM
I refuse to watch that show. To me it IS entrapment. I disagree with what the pedophile is doing obviously, but to me the show concept (public humiliation) is almost as sick as what those people are doing.

I agree. I haven't seen the show, but hearing descriptions of it make it pretty clear that they're going for ratings more than trying to do a public good. Again, I haven't seen how the "recruiting" takes place, but in concept I think they may be encouraging some people to do something that they otherwise might not do.

CoMoChief
02-20-2007, 11:17 PM
IM sort of torn to how i feel about this show. Im not saying that the guys they catch are not wrong, but personally it feels like entrapment to me. They bait these poor saps (who obviously have sexual issues of some sort to work out) into talking about sex and crap prentending to be young boys or girls. Its just wrong...

Tonight they showed an assistant DA is some small town in Texas that shot himself because he knew the police were closing in. Dateline of course ate this story up for all the ratings it could milk.......it just felt wrong to me....

Why didnt they just wait to pick the guy up at the office instead of hunting him down at his house? They at least could have kept him alive....

We need to put these ****ers in a gas chamber and let them all **** eachother before they die.

Sorry if thats the most crude and immoral thing youve ever eard, but I simply do not have any sympathy for those ****ed up pieces of shit.

Ultra Peanut
02-20-2007, 11:35 PM
It's... what I do.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hK0WT8jKsXQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hK0WT8jKsXQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Ultra Peanut
02-20-2007, 11:38 PM
It's uncomfortable watching them squirm and try and lie their way out of it once they're caught. But I still watch....i cld prob teach you a few things

crazycoffey
02-20-2007, 11:39 PM
ho ho ho dot com

from my sack to you..... HA :p

redsurfer11
02-20-2007, 11:40 PM
No therapy for these assholes, throw away the key on them, baited or not.

el borracho
02-20-2007, 11:52 PM

I don't really care why someone is a pedophile. If they are so crazy that they eff little kids then they are useless to society.

And I have no use for murderers, either.

el borracho
02-20-2007, 11:53 PM
You are concerned about embarrassing pedophiles?

SPchief
02-20-2007, 11:53 PM
And I have no use for murderers, either.

Even if somebody murdered someone breaking into their house?

el borracho
02-20-2007, 11:55 PM
Even if somebody murdered someone breaking into their house?
Self-defense is not the same as premeditated murder.

chiefsfan987
02-21-2007, 12:01 AM
You are concerned about embarrassing pedophiles?

Yes. People are human and make mistakes.

crazycoffey
02-21-2007, 12:11 AM

note to self, chiefsfan987 is not allowed to babysit

TrickyNicky
02-21-2007, 12:15 AM
I understand why some would think its entrapment, yes they are being arrested essentially for a thought crime. But, when you consider that these individuals have been told several times that the boy/girl is under legal age, they still drive out of their way (sometimes up to 3 hours away) to go to their house where a minor is unaccompanied, usually with alcohol and condoms/toys in tow. Some of these people have had multiple arrests, one obviously mentally challenged guy was caught by the Dateline show twice.

I have no sympathy for these people. They definitely need help and should be caught in Stings like this. I could care less about the public humiliation, however the profiting off their arrests by NBC does disturb me. Especially when the douchebag host makes some smart-ass remark in his smarmy voice when he first reveals its a tv show.

crazycoffey
02-21-2007, 12:17 AM
I have no sympathy in this instance either, now video catching prostitution is different. two consenting adults engaging in illecit activity is different.

Ari Chi3fs
02-21-2007, 12:58 AM
They should be forced to pee on a triple layer electric fence.

Spicy McHaggis
02-21-2007, 01:06 AM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ShgX1v42hPE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ShgX1v42hPE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Halfcan
02-21-2007, 01:17 AM
I understand why some would think its entrapment, yes they are being arrested essentially for a thought crime. But, when you consider that these individuals have been told several times that the boy/girl is under legal age, they still drive out of their way (sometimes up to 3 hours away) to go to their house where a minor is unaccompanied, usually with alcohol and condoms/toys in tow. Some of these people have had multiple arrests, one obviously mentally challenged guy was caught by the Dateline show twice.

I have no sympathy for these people. They definitely need help and should be caught in Stings like this. I could care less about the public humiliation, however the profiting off their arrests by NBC does disturb me. Especially when the douchebag host makes some smart-ass remark in his smarmy voice when he first reveals its a tv show.

Good post-saved me from posting the same thing. I don't care how they get these sicks fuggers-just get them off the streets and never let them out.

Valiant
02-21-2007, 01:17 AM

Its not a mental issue, its our way of life letting them think they can get away with it.. Majority of these people I have seen on there do not have a mental problem they have a perversion problem or something very taboo.. There have been a few that were mental, but they should all be treated the same..

How many times have we seen a released pedophile do the same thing after release??? To damn many times, you go off the rule not the exception...

Now for those few instances we the person is 18-19 with a 15/16 year old then those should be judged different from the norm, but everybody else should be made a Unix...

picasso
02-21-2007, 01:27 AM
I think what is entrapment about it are the things you do not see to entrap them. Such as last week a guy shows up at the house and didn't know who the girl was because the photo that was shown to him in the chat room was an asian girl.
When he asked who she was then that is entrapment right there because he never solicited anything from the bait girl on line. Who knows the asian photo could have looked 19 years old.
Also when the girl asks sexual favors from the guy to provoke him. There has also been times they have shown breasts and underwear shots to get the guy interested.

I see it as not catching true pediphiles but rather fishing for jerk pervs that think they hit the jackpot when actually given a real address that they can drive to.

But it is funny to hear their explanations of what they were doing. 60 years old and carrying around a french tickler claiming it's used for thumbing through mail. LOL!!!

Spicy McHaggis
02-21-2007, 01:28 AM
but everybody else should be made a Unix...

A eunuch?

FAX
02-21-2007, 01:30 AM
I think you're onto something there, Mr. picasso. Certainly, they're baiting these guys. However, once the bait states that she's 13 years old, a normal fish would swim away.

What I think is remarkable about all this is the utter and complete lack of self-control these guys demonstrate.

FAX

SPchief
02-21-2007, 01:32 AM
I think you're onto something there, Mr. picasso. Certainly, they're baiting these guys. However, once the bait states that she's 13 years old, a normal fish would swim away.

What I think is remarkable about all this is the utter and complete lack of self-control these guys demonstrate.

FAX

Don't lie, you'd go and try to get you some if it were you.

KcMizzou
02-21-2007, 02:07 AM
Dont try to f*ck kids...

It's really pretty simple.

FAX
02-21-2007, 03:45 AM
It's comforting to remember that, most of the time, when you open a door and turn on the light, there isn't a giant, two-headed cat in the room.

FAX

Fire Me Boy!
02-21-2007, 06:09 AM
I'm going to say this before I stir the pot... this is NOT necessarily how I feel. I'm just playing devil's advocate...

What about the possibility that the reason "the sick fuggers" are the way they are is a genetic glitch... or that instinct in these people is more prevalent than social mores?

For instance: what would you say to the idea that the reason they might be "sick fuggers" is because of years and years and years (Millennia prior to the 1900s) of breeding that said it was OK to marry and have children with 12-, 13-, and 14-year-olds? That the taboo of being with such a young girl was natural and that it only became taboo recently (last 100 years, as opposed to the previous 10,000)?

Just curious what everyone thinks. Aside from "they're sick fuggers".

I'll repeat, that I'm just playing Devil's advocate. I don't want to sleep with little girls. I'm not a "sick fugger". Please read this statement. I didn't post so everyone can berate me because they think I'm defending the "sick fuggers".

On the issue of the Datline show specifically, I can't believe none of the "sick fuggers" haven't pleaded not guilty and said it isn't a crime since a minor wasn't involved. There was a case fairly recently, IIRC within the past 10 years, where a guy got off (no pun intended) by saying that since no minor was involved (the decoy was a 30-year-old sheriff's deputy) there was no crime. In the Dateline series, the decoy on the internet is an of-age Perverted Justice volunteer, the people on the phone are of-age, and actors used in the camera home are 18 (they just look young).

Fire Me Boy!
02-21-2007, 06:11 AM

FAX
I do believe it's a sickness, Mr. FAX. That's why they can't control themselves. I think they're wired differently.

I'll add that while I think it's a sickness, I also think most of them should rot in prison. Some of them, obviously, should be killed on sight (the baby rapers). Others should be given a slap on the wrist and sent home (like the 18-year-old who gets a BJ from his 15-year-old girlfriend).

chagrin
02-21-2007, 06:13 AM
At some point we have to put the blame where it belongs, on the pedophile. I hav no problems at all with this show, and frankly I appreciate it. The group Perverted Justice does not solicit the "perv" to do something they wouldn't do, they simply go along until the "perv" fugs up, then they nail him; not entrapment.

I suppose it's also entrapment for a bar to serve you alcohol, a cop to have a DUI task force, radar guns? There's no real argument here, it's simple - catch the guys either if it's their first time or jail a lifetime sicko, either way it's a win win situation.

If John Evander Couey used the internet as well and got busted on Dateline instead of kidnapping, raping and burying Jessica Lunsford ALIVE, you'd also say he was entrapped? ABSURD

Saggysack
02-21-2007, 06:33 AM

Pedophilia isn't a mistake.

Mile High Mania
02-21-2007, 06:35 AM
I haven't read through the 3 pages of replies, but while I don't watch the show much... I don't have an issue with the end result.

Protecting our kids is a tough thing and the wild ass part about this show is ... there's not a stereotype that you can use when talking about what they do. That's both shocking and amazing to me.

chagrin
02-21-2007, 06:44 AM
I haven't read through the 3 pages of replies, but while I don't watch the show much... I don't have an issue with the end result.

Protecting our kids is a tough thing and the wild ass part about this show is ... there's not a stereotype that you can use when talking about what they do. That's both shocking and amazing to me.

That scares me as well, just shows how messed up people are; something's missing from how they were either raised, or the intarweb is da debil. But it's been very clear to me for some time now that most dudes in the country have zero respect for sex or women, that's for sure. Again I say, you can't ultimately blame anyone but the criminal himself in these cases.

King_Chief_Fan
02-21-2007, 07:03 AM

:clap: exaactly

Kraut
02-21-2007, 07:20 AM
:clap: exaactly
I feel you have to use what you can to catch these dirtbags. As long as everything checks out legal then go for it. I don't care if it is entrapment, as long as the courts uphold the actions taken by law enforcement. I know it sounds harsh, but as for the DA in Texas who shot himself..... Oh shit, oh well.

HonestChieffan
02-21-2007, 07:24 AM
Bottom feeders...media and pedo's....a marriage made in heaven

King_Chief_Fan
02-21-2007, 07:31 AM
I feel you have to use what you can to catch these dirtbags. As long as everything checks out legal then go for it. I don't care if it is entrapment, as long as the courts uphold the actions taken by law enforcement. I know it sounds harsh, but as for the DA in Texas who shot himself..... Oh shit, oh well.

I agree. It is no ones fault that the fool was a dirt bag and a coward too.

jspchief
02-21-2007, 08:11 AM
Thes sick ****s are creeping around in known kids' chat rooms preying on our children.

I'm supposed to feel bad for them when they get embarrassed or tricked?

Entrapment? The bait people always make it known that they are underage. As soon as the person continues beyond that point, they are making a conscious decision to prey on children.

Like El Borracho said, regardless of the reason they are sick ****s, they are still sick ****s and serve no useful purpose in society. Dateline should hand each one of them a loaded gun and give them a chance to end their disgusting existence on the spot.

elvomito
02-21-2007, 08:16 AM
...but everybody else should be made a Unix...
A eunuch?no, he's obviously one of those pro-Microsoft guys

Brock
02-21-2007, 08:24 AM
entrapment my ass, they're pedophiles.

Saulbadguy
02-21-2007, 08:26 AM
Entrapment would be a cop persuading them to come over and have sex with a child, and telling them they wouldn't get in trouble for it...and then busting them for it afterwards.

It's funny how the word "entrapment" is thrown around so much these days when people have no idea what it actually means.

MOhillbilly
02-21-2007, 08:31 AM
jail is to kind on kid diddlers.

Amnorix
02-21-2007, 08:35 AM

No, the "wrong" part is that we don't offer a reduced sentence and castration as an alternative after their arrested. I'd far rather see them get 5 years and castration than 20 years without...

And while they may have sexual issues to work out, every criminal has a similar excuse, pretty much. They grew up in a bad neighborhood or their parents didn't love them or they have emotional issues or they ate too many Twinkies. Ultimately, peopel are responsible for their own actions, regardless of root causes, unless they are clinically insane.

Amnorix
02-21-2007, 08:43 AM
It's funny how the word "entrapment" is thrown around so much these days when people have no idea what it actually means.

Well, see my prior post for lack of sympathy, but they're not talking about the technical legal definition for it, which can result in an acquittal. Entrapment as a legal defense is a highly technical thing, and is difficult to prove. That isn't really what people are talking about when they throw it around on a chat board.

Entrapment in the more common usage generally means luring someone to do something they wouldn't ordinarily do, whether it's done by a law enforcement officer or not.

chagrin
02-21-2007, 08:46 AM
no, he's obviously one of those pro-Microsoft guys

No, I think he means Linux

trndobrd
02-21-2007, 08:46 AM
I can't wait for the fine folks at Dateline to get sued to hell and back by a pizza delivery guy who ends up humiliated on national TV after going to the wrong address.

Baconeater
02-21-2007, 08:53 AM
I haven't watched a whole lot of these particular episodes of Dateline, but from what I have seen, the people they were catching were definitely weirdos. I didn't get the impression they were tricking the average Joe into doing something they normally wouldn't do.

eazyb81
02-21-2007, 09:01 AM
I'm surprised a few idiots on the 1st page attempted to defend these sick f#ckers. I am one that truly believes child molesters are worse than murderers, and should be prosecuted as such. They ruin the lives of kids they prey on, and it just creates a vicious cycle of abuse. People like that are vermin on society and should be eliminated or at least taken away from the general population.

I admit that it is unnerving watching these pervs squirm after they are caught, and it makes you wonder how many people like that are in our country. That said, I am glad this show is gaining steam so the judicial system can begin to start bringing the hammer down on these criminals.

Valiant
02-21-2007, 09:13 AM
no, he's obviously one of those pro-Microsoft guys

blame spell-checker through google...

chagrin
02-21-2007, 09:15 AM
I haven't watched a whole lot of these particular episodes of Dateline, but from what I have seen, the people they were catching were definitely weirdos. I didn't get the impression they were tricking the average Joe into doing something they normally wouldn't do.

You are correct, they aren't - these guys do this shit regularly, one dude says he's met at least 30 people that way.

Did you catch the previews of next week? They're here in Central Florida (it's about time too) and they only showed a few dudes, they all appeared to be Arabic or Indian, etc. not tyring to be racist but it certainly was amusing to me, considering how they are defended so much here by certain people. Tell ya what though, they should probably just park it here in Central Florida for the next year, they'd probably really help us out.

REDHOTGTO
02-21-2007, 10:41 AM

you would feel different about this if you had a predator after your 14 yr old daughter like i do. we think this fugger came from myspace.com and has even been to the house when we were gone and rang the doorbell, called her on the phone and told her he liked what she was wearing. i am going to love to catch this dude and i dont need no tv show to make him wish he never did it. :mad:

chagrin
02-21-2007, 10:44 AM
you would feel different about this if you had a predator after your 14 yr old daughter like i do. we think this fugger came from myspace.com and has even been to the house when we were gone and rang the doorbell, called her on the phone and told her he liked what she was wearing. i am going to love to catch this dude and i dont need no tv show to make him wish he never did it. :mad:

Realist - 1
Idealist - 0

Pitt Gorilla
02-21-2007, 10:46 AM
I appreciate what they do, but I think they screwed up last week. One of the guys that showed up was only 15 years old. Of course, he wasn't arrested. However, Dateline and the police department essentially lured him to a house by pretending to be an underaged girl looking for sex; they pretended to be a young girl to lure an underage boy to the house for sex. Shouldn't they be prosecuted?!?Nobody responded to this, but I'm curious what you all think. They catch a lot of scummy people, but were they potentially scummy as well?

chagrin
02-21-2007, 10:49 AM
Nobody responded to this, but I'm curious what you all think. They catch a lot of scummy people, but were they potentially scummy as well?

I was confident that I watched the entire show, I don't recall seeing a 15 year old, if so it's obvious why they didn't film it. Besides, they probably continued to chat with him because he claimed to be older than he was? Can you provide any details about this guy?

Saulbadguy
02-21-2007, 10:53 AM
Maybe you should teach your daughter to make better decisions.

Pitt Gorilla
02-21-2007, 10:53 AM
I was confident that I watched the entire show, I don't recall seeing a 15 year old, if so it's obvious why they didn't film it. Besides, they probably continued to chat with him because he claimed to be older than he was? Can you provide any details about this guy?This was a week or two ago, and three kids came to the house. NBC showed the footage. The first kid to enter the house was 15, IIRC. He wasn't arrested, but the cops et al. had effectively lured an underage kid to a house for sex, claiming that they were a young girl.

chagrin
02-21-2007, 10:55 AM
This was a week or two ago, and three kids came to the house. NBC showed the footage. The first kid to enter the house was 15, IIRC. He wasn't arrested, but the cops et al. had effectively lured an underage kid to a house for sex, claiming that they were a young girl.

Did they mention how he described himself? Was he supposedly older? I just am finding it hard to believe that this group of people "perverted Justice" owuld try to get a 15 year old in trouble, unless in that state it was illegal to have sex at that age.

Saulbadguy
02-21-2007, 10:56 AM
Did they mention how he described himself? Was he supposedly older? I just am finding it hard to believe that this group of people "perverted Justice" owuld try to get a 15 year old in trouble, unless in that state it was illegal to have sex at that age.
I would imagine he said he was 19 or something. You know, chicks dig older men.

Pitt Gorilla
02-21-2007, 10:58 AM
Did they mention how he described himself? Was he supposedly older? I just am finding it hard to believe that this group of people "perverted Justice" owuld try to get a 15 year old in trouble, unless in that state it was illegal to have sex at that age.I don't think they did it intentionally, which of course, prevents it from being a crime. However, it doesn't change the end result, which looks very similar to the actions of the people they are catching.

Fire Me Boy!
02-21-2007, 11:00 AM
I would imagine he said he was 19 or something. You know, chicks dig older men.
And scars. Chicks dig scars.

chagrin
02-21-2007, 11:08 AM
I don't think they did it intentionally, which of course, prevents it from being a crime. However, it doesn't change the end result, which looks very similar to the actions of the people they are catching.

Eh, doesn't change my mind, but that's just me.

Otter
02-21-2007, 11:33 AM
I don't have any mercy for pedophiles but that show is a testament as to what is wrong with society today. Some things shouldn't be used for entertainment, this is one of them.

Watched it for 15 minutes was done.

Iowanian
02-21-2007, 11:52 AM
Screw all of those guys.

I can't be "entrapped" into chatting sexually and sending pictures of my babymaker to someone claiming to be 13 because....well....I'm not a kid effer and would never do that.

They should put a bullet into all of their skulls in the back yard. Use a silencer to not scare of the next guy in the driveway.

trndobrd
02-21-2007, 11:55 AM
I'm not suggesting that I want a truck driver from Alabama showing up on my doorstep with condoms and wine coolers. But it is interesting that not too long ago girls routinely got married at 14-17 years of age. Now days that is considered sick and and deviant behavior.

Obviously technology and the social structure has changed. The dudes showing up on Dateline (kind of ironic name, come to think of it) NBC are certainly not interested in marriage or having a young wife that can raise lots of kids to help around the farm. But it is interesting how drastically social norms can change in just a few generations.

jspchief
02-21-2007, 12:04 PM
Nobody responded to this, but I'm curious what you all think. They catch a lot of scummy people, but were they potentially scummy as well?That's like saying cops that dress up like a hooker to lure johns in a prostitution sting are guilty of prositution themselves. You're smarter than that Pitt.

Besides, did the kid ever make it known that he was only 15 over the internet?

Fire Me Boy!
02-21-2007, 12:04 PM
I'm not suggesting that I want a truck driver from Alabama showing up on my doorstep with condoms and wine coolers. But it is interesting that not too long ago girls routinely got married at 14-17 years of age. Now days that is considered sick and and deviant behavior.

Obviously technology and the social structure has changed. The dudes showing up on Dateline (kind of ironic name, come to think of it) NBC are certainly not interested in marriage or having a young wife that can raise lots of kids to help around the farm. But it is interesting how drastically social norms can change in just a few generations.
This reminds me of a case in Kansas where there is no legal marriage age. The 19-year-old (I think) fell in love and married a 12-year-old girl. The law allowed him to marry her, then when she got pregnant the police stepped in and arrested him and charged him with child molestation. The guy, who is married to the girl with her parent's permission, is still in jail IIRC. Meanwhile, his baby is growing up without a father.

Hound333
02-21-2007, 12:05 PM
And scars. Chicks dig scars.

Chicks dig the long ball.

I don't care how they stop people. I have a 3 year old daughter. The more crazies they put behind bars the less I have to worry about.

I am concerned that this show might actually give idea's to some of the more crazy peds. Some that might never have thought to try the online bit. Sure they could get caught but if they are pedo's I doubt they are worried about the rules anyways.

DaneMcCloud
02-21-2007, 12:10 PM
But it is interesting how drastically social norms can change in just a few generations.

I don't think this is a case of changing social norms! These guys sit at home on their computer, intentionally seek out and chat with under-aged boys and girls, send nude photos of themselves and try to "hook-up". That's not the same as being out on the plains, traveling across the country, weathering the wilderness and marrying someone your own age.

I think that pedophilia is probably the most vile act that a human can commit to another living human being (murder being the first, but the result is death). And the predators that they've interviewed and caught on Dateline weren't first time offenders - many of them had been arrested previously for sex acts and many of them get right back online immediately after being released! They caught one guy online just two weeks after being caught on Dateline and arrested!

The sad thing is that even though this show segment has been on the air for over a year, people are routinely caught by Dateline's film crew. These people are obviously very sick because they aren't afraid of the consequences. It appears that they don't have any guilt, at least until they're caught.

Sensationalism or not, I hope that NBC continues with this program and that more criminals are brought to justice.

Also, why is every stinkin' one of these guys so creepy looking?

Pitt Gorilla
02-21-2007, 12:12 PM
That's like saying cops that dress up like a hooker to lure johns in a prostitution sting are guilty of prositution themselves. You're smarter than that Pitt.

The cops don't actually do any "prostitutin;" they just play dress-up.

EDIT: I think your argument may still be right, due to the fact that the John's only solicit the act.

In this case, they actually lured an underage kid to the house for sex, which is basically what they are charging the guys they catch with (enticing a child to have sex, or something like that).

I know that it isn't illegal, because it seems clear that they don't have the same intent. However, I was wondering when this scenario would happen and what would be made of it. Evidently, everyone is cool with it.

theultimatekcchiefsfan
02-21-2007, 12:37 PM
C,mon how can you have mixed feelings about the shows. These guys are pedophiles. End of story. They are entering minors homes when there parents are gone
with the sheer intentions to have sex and propably worse.

We personally love the show here. These guys need to be caught.

FringeNC
02-21-2007, 12:43 PM
It seems that show is always on the TV in front of me when I am at the gym, and it's painful to watch. It almost has to be an effective way to dissuade pedophilia, but something just doesn't feel right.

I guess I lean more towards parental responsibility and away from police sting operations.

el borracho
02-21-2007, 12:43 PM
I can't say for sure (I didn't see the show) but even if the kid gave his true age it's possible that the show assumed he was lying. I would imagine a lot of these creeps lie about their age (pretend to be younger) in order to seduce the kids.

Fat Elvis
02-21-2007, 12:54 PM
It would be interesting if vigilante groups sprung up with the same idea. Lure pedophiles to an address then beat them within an inch of thier lives, giving them the nuthooks and whatnot. What is the pedophile going to say? Uh, I got beat up because I wanted to have sex with a kid?

Go jihad on them, I say.

SLAG
02-21-2007, 12:56 PM
It would be interesting if vigilante groups sprung up with the same idea. Lure pedophiles to an address then beat them within an inch of thier lives, giving them the nuthooks and whatnot. What is the pedophile going to say? Uh, I got beat up because I wanted to have sex with a kid?

Go jihad on them, I say.

I know of an empty house near a body of water

ChiefaRoo
02-21-2007, 12:57 PM
has Skip been caught yet? ROFL

Baconeater
02-21-2007, 01:37 PM
It seems that show is always on the TV in front of me when I am at the gym, and it's painful to watch. It almost has to be an effective way to dissuade pedophilia, but something just doesn't feel right.

I guess I lean more towards parental responsibility and away from police sting operations.
I agree, that's why I haven't watched much of it. I think it's good that NBC has done it as a way to open people's eyes to the potential threats on the internet.

Should they be airing a new episode every week with a new lineup of creeps just in the name of ratings? No, not in my opinion. NBC isn't exactly breaking any new ground with this anyway. Many law enforcement agencies already do these type of sting operations, and I'd just as soon leave it them.

jspchief
02-21-2007, 01:46 PM
I agree, that's why I haven't watched much of it. I think it's good that NBC has done it as a way to open people's eyes to the potential threats on the internet.

Should they be airing a new episode every week with a new lineup of creeps just in the name of ratings? No, not in my opinion. NBC isn't exactly breaking any new ground with this anyway. Many law enforcement agencies already do these type of sting operations, and I'd just as soon leave it them.I agree that there is a certain uneasyness I feel at the idea of turning this whole situation into "entertainment news".

But I can justify it in my mind by the realization that NBC has the budget to do what many law enforcement agencies don't. All said and done it's catching a lot of scumbags and taking them off the streets. Turning it into a spectacle is a price I'm willing to accept.

chagrin
02-21-2007, 01:48 PM
Should they be airing a new episode every week with a new lineup of creeps just in the name of ratings? No, not in my opinion. NBC isn't exactly breaking any new ground with this anyway. Many law enforcement agencies already do these type of sting operations, and I'd just as soon leave it them.

I think they should be doing as many as possible. As long as dipshits like a few of the guys keep coming to the different cities and getting busted more than once, plus the guys who are currently awaiting trial for similiar charges (very similiar, like child porn, child molestation, etc) and all these repeat offenders - damn straight dude, they should keep doing it!

Down here in Florida, and I know there are unreported cases everywhere, we have transients coming from everywhere, each week (1500 new people a week just to my area alone) and children being attacked, flashed, and otherwise harassed daily. I also know that our Police departments here (can't speak for the rest of the USA) don't have the funding to permanently staff such an operation, they do what they can.

I applaude it, just my opinion.

jspchief
02-21-2007, 02:02 PM

Should they be airing a new episode every week with a new lineup of creeps just in the name of ratings? No, not in my opinion. NBC isn't exactly breaking any new ground with this anyway. Many law enforcement agencies already do these type of sting operations, and I'd just as soon leave it them.I agree that there is a certain uneasyness I feel at the idea of turning this whole situation into "entertainment news".

But I can justify it in my mind by the realization that NBC has the budget to do what many law enforcement agencies don't. All said and done it's catching a lot of scumbags and taking them off the streets. Turning it into a spectacle is a price I'm willing to accept.

FringeNC
02-21-2007, 02:03 PM
I think they should be doing as many as possible. As long as dipshits like a few of the guys keep coming to the different cities and getting busted more than once, plus the guys who are currently awaiting trial for similiar charges (very similiar, like child porn, child molestation, etc) and all these repeat offenders - damn straight dude, they should keep doing it!

Down here in Florida, and I know there are unreported cases everywhere, we have transients coming from everywhere, each week (1500 new people a week just to my area alone) and children being attacked, flashed, and otherwise harassed daily. I also know that our Police departments here (can't speak for the rest of the USA) don't have the funding to permanently staff such an operation, they do what they can.

I applaude it, just my opinion.

I dunno. That seems different. Preventing violent attacks on kids on the street seems like the police's job. Making sure your 13-year old daughter isn't plotting to have sex with 40-year old men from AOL in her bedroom seems to me to be the parents' job.

chagrin
02-21-2007, 02:15 PM
I dunno. That seems different. Preventing violent attacks on kids on the street seems like the police's job. Making sure your 13-year old daughter isn't plotting to have sex with 40-year old men from AOL in her bedroom seems to me to be the parents' job.

And the 40 year old man plotting to have sex with the 13 year old girl? Parents?

I didn't cite online predators in that particular post, but I inferred it for sure and it's here just as well as everywhere.

FAX
02-21-2007, 02:22 PM
I'd like to interrupt this thread to commend you Planeteers for your common sense.

There really are no "winners" in this deal. One very ugly side effect of the Internet is the ability for a person to anonomously share their mental disease with others. 15 years for soliciting sex with a 12 year old seems fair to me. But surely, using this social problem as a means to acquire ratings isn't particularly honorable either.

FAX

FringeNC
02-21-2007, 02:22 PM
And the 40 year old man plotting to have sex with the 13 year old girl? Parents?

I didn't cite online predators in that particular post, but I inferred it for sure and it's here just as well as everywhere.

I just don't think there is that strong of a case to be made for a sting operation. I think personally that the bar needs to be set very high for granting cops "sting" powers, and in this case I am not sure it meets it. Any 13-year old girl who is meeting 40-year old guys for sex on the internet has problems, and the police intervening one time is no substitute for the obvious lack of good parenting.

It might be more effective to arrest the parent of the child who invited the man over for negligence. That would probably do more good.

Chiefs Pantalones
02-21-2007, 02:26 PM

You're kidding, right?

chagrin
02-21-2007, 02:44 PM
I just don't think there is that strong of a case to be made for a sting operation. I think personally that the bar needs to be set very high for granting cops "sting" powers, and in this case I am not sure it meets it. Any 13-year old girl who is meeting 40-year old guys for sex on the internet has problems, and the police intervening one time is no substitute for the obvious lack of good parenting.

It might be more effective to arrest the parent of the child who invited the man over for negligence. That would probably do more good.

I see what you mean, but I am referring to sicko chattin up the 13 year old; but okay.

Duck Dog
02-21-2007, 03:07 PM
They should be forced to pee on a triple layer electric fence.

is that anything like a three phase?

Duck Dog
02-21-2007, 03:13 PM
It is entrapment. But society has put a stigma on adult/youth sex that allows us to ignore what is right and what is wrong.

Putting adult/youth sex offenders behind bars is the right thing. But Dateline's..."to trap a guy into doing something he may not have attempted on his own"...is the wrong way of doing it.

chagrin
02-21-2007, 03:24 PM
It is entrapment. But society has put a stigma on adult/youth sex that allows us to ignore what is right and what is wrong.

Putting adult/youth sex offenders behind bars is the right thing. But Dateline's..."to trap a guy into doing something he may not have attempted on his own"...is the wrong way of doing it.

I thought the definition of entrapment was already covered earlier...?

DaneMcCloud
02-21-2007, 03:26 PM
But Dateline's..."to trap a guy into doing something he may not have attempted on his own"...is the wrong way of doing it.

Have you seen the show? These people willing share conversations and pictures with underaged boys and girls over the internet. Whether or not the person on the other end of the conversation is actually underage is not at issue. These predators go to a home with the specific intention of having sexual relations with an underaged teenage boy or girl.

How is that "not attempting on their own"?

Duck Dog
02-21-2007, 03:27 PM
I thought the definition of entrapment was already covered earlier...?

I didn't read the whole thread, just stating my opinion that it's a BS way of catching these guys.

Duck Dog
02-21-2007, 03:29 PM
Have you seen the show? These people willing share conversations and pictures with underaged boys and girls over the internet. Whether or not the person on the other end of the conversation is actually underage is not at issue. These predators go to a home with the specific intention of having sexual relations with an underaged teenage boy or girl.

How is that "not attempting on their own"?

To me it's just as bad as an undercover cop posing as a hooker and asking random dudes for dates.

DaneMcCloud
02-21-2007, 03:32 PM
To me it's just as bad as an undercover cop posing as a hooker and asking random dudes for dates.

Except that it's children involved, not adults.

Duck Dog
02-21-2007, 03:36 PM

Exactly my initial point. That is why Dateline doesn't have a show called to catch a bank robber. I bet I could find people on the net willing rob a bank with me if I tried hard enough. I'm sure I could 'lure' them in just fine.

Mile High Mania
02-21-2007, 03:50 PM
Anyone they bust in this scenario should face pretty heavy jail time... and regarding the story about the dude in TX that killed himself. Well, that just saved tax payer $ and court time in my opinion.

I haven't seen many of the shows, but it is good television. I especially like the 'spin control' they put on when the camera shows up. Also, once they start running... the taser is greatness.

Mile High Mania
02-21-2007, 03:52 PM
Exactly my initial point. That is why Dateline doesn't have a show called to catch a bank robber. I bet I could find people on the net willing rob a bank with me if I tried hard enough. I'm sure I could 'lure' them in just fine.

Banks are insured and individuals don't lose their money when a bank is robbed. Kids and their lives (innocence) are not insured, so yeah... do what you can to get these bastards exposed.

Pitt Gorilla
02-21-2007, 03:54 PM
Anyone they bust in this scenario should face pretty heavy jail time... and regarding the story about the dude in TX that killed himself. Well, that just saved tax payer $ and court time in my opinion.

I haven't seen many of the shows, but it is good television. I especially like the 'spin control' they put on when the camera shows up. Also, once they start running... the taser is greatness.I think they should face pretty heavy jail time as well. I don't want these people to have access to my kids. At the same time, these people are guilty of thought crimes. That makes for an interesting discussion. Should we ticket people who say that they would like to speed on the highway?

Mile High Mania
02-21-2007, 03:54 PM
Dateline simply uses the same Internet that the predators use to find kids. Dateline isn't sending out mass emails trying to recruit these scumbags... they're going where the scumbags hang out on the Net.

They find them... start a conversation, put out the bait and then trap them. That's why they're often asked to bring condoms and booze... proves intent when the cameras come out.

Mile High Mania
02-21-2007, 03:56 PM
I think they should face pretty heavy jail time as well. I don't want these people to have access to my kids. At the same time, these people are guilty of thought crimes. That makes for an interesting discussion. Should we ticket people who say that they would like to speed on the highway?
It's not a thought crime (in my opinion) when they bring condoms and booze to the house of what they believe is a 14 year old. They have leaped the mental "what if" into the physical "I'm gonna get me some of that tonight" stage.

Again, they are showing intent and acting upon their thoughts and desires.

Saulbadguy
02-21-2007, 03:57 PM
It's still consensual sex.

Mile High Mania
02-21-2007, 03:58 PM
The really crazy thing is a site like MySpace. If you search around that site, it's amazing what you can find. Kids will put up ANYTHING on that site b/c they think it's just their buddies viewing.

Kids put up so much personal info, pics, inner thoughts, etc. It's a predator's dream.

Mile High Mania
02-21-2007, 03:59 PM
It's still consensual sex.

I guess we'll see you on the next episode?

Saulbadguy
02-21-2007, 04:05 PM
I guess we'll see you on the next episode?
http://www.ksufans.com/forums/Smileys/ksufans/tongue.gif

Mile High Mania
02-21-2007, 04:08 PM
http://www.perverted-justice.com/index.php?updates=recent

Here's something crazy - when they did this just outside of Dallas, they actually busted a guy that worked at my old company. And, yeah when we heard the news it was definitely one of those "Oh wow, he was the nicest guy" moments.

The guy no longer works there and I have no idea what happened with him. I'm guessing he was convicted. But, again he was someone I would have never suspected. Nice guy, late 40s.

Crazy shit.

Pitt Gorilla
02-21-2007, 04:15 PM
It's not a thought crime (in my opinion) when they bring condoms and booze to the house of what they believe is a 14 year old. They have leaped the mental "what if" into the physical "I'm gonna get me some of that tonight" stage.

Again, they are showing intent and acting upon their thoughts and desires.I agree. However, I'm still trying to justify my stance, I guess. Who was the victim?

Mile High Mania
02-21-2007, 04:17 PM
I agree. However, I'm still trying to justify my stance, I guess. Who was the victim?

Does there have to be an actual victim of this kind of act before something is done to stop it from happening? People are prosecuted for "attempted murder" and all sorts of "threats" of something bad happening to another person, right?

el borracho
02-21-2007, 04:20 PM
I agree. However, I'm still trying to justify my stance, I guess. Who was the victim?
So if I trap you in a room and chase you with a chainsaw but Dateline bursts in before I can hack you to bits then there is no victim? It's just a thought crime? That ridiculous. Seriously, do you not see the difference between just saying you would like to do something and actively pursuing it? Any adult that drives to a child's home to have sex with that child is a pedophile, a predator and a criminal.

Pitt Gorilla
02-21-2007, 04:22 PM
Does there have to be an actual victim of this kind of act before something is done to stop it from happening? People are prosecuted for "attempted murder" and all sorts of "threats" of something bad happening to another person, right?That makes sense. However, in attempted murder, it seems that there is usually an actual someone in danger. I suppose it could be argued that children in general are in danger, but that seems to be a bit of a stretch.

Pitt Gorilla
02-21-2007, 04:24 PM
So if I trap you in a room and chase you with a chainsaw but Dateline bursts in before I can hack you to bits then there is no victim? It's just a thought crime? That ridiculous. Seriously, do you not see the difference between just saying you would like to do something and actively pursuing it? Any adult that drives to a child's home to have sex with that child is a pedophile, a predator and a criminal.Good Lord, el. That IS ridiculous. I agree 100% that the person is a pedophile, a predator, and a criminal.

It seems, however, to be a thought crime (unlike your scenario where someone is actually being chased). That doesn't make it any less wrong. I have no problem with every one of the guys on the program being in the clink for 30 years. They are bad people. Did I stutter somewhere?!?

Saulbadguy
02-21-2007, 04:26 PM
I suppose it could be argued that children in general are in danger, but that seems to be a bit of a stretch.
They are in danger if they have intent to hurt them. Are they in danger if all they are gonna do is ****? All the talk is of "innocence lost", but how innocent is a 13 year old who seeks out the company of older men? How much responsibility falls on the minor? What if the female was 16? Would that be better, worse? I wouldn't condone my 13 year old daughter ****ing anyone, let alone an 40 year old "software programmer", but I would hope I would raise her to understand it all better than that.

Mile High Mania
02-21-2007, 04:34 PM
They are in danger if they have intent to hurt them. Are they in danger if all they are gonna do is ****? All the talk is of "innocence lost", but how innocent is a 13 year old who seeks out the company of older men? How much responsibility falls on the minor? What if the female was 16? Would that be better, worse? I wouldn't condone my 13 year old daughter ****ing anyone, let alone an 40 year old "software programmer", but I would hope I would raise her to understand it all better than that.

So, if you come home and there's a 40 year old software programmer sitting on your couch with a bag of booze and a pack of condoms talking to your daughter... you'll just ask him to leave?

Let's say you found out a week after the fact that something happened... are you going to call the cops?

Saulbadguy
02-21-2007, 04:37 PM
So, if you come home and there's a 40 year old software programmer sitting on your couch with a bag of booze and a pack of condoms talking to your daughter... you'll just ask him to leave?

Let's say you found out a week after the fact that something happened... are you going to call the cops?
I'm sure i'd punish them both. I'm not saying it shouldn't be illegal, but I think the minor should get in legal trouble too. They should receive some sort of punishment, counseling or something.

Mile High Mania
02-21-2007, 04:39 PM
I'm not saying you have a bad take on it... I just think it's weird. If I found anyone like that anywhere my kids... I'd beat them (the predator) within an inch of their life. Nothing major.

DanT
02-21-2007, 04:50 PM
The Dateline episode that aired yesterday showed that Texas police officers are still capable of the kind of cluelessness that helped bring about the Waco fiasco. That they couldn't imagine a prosecutor that they had worked with often over the years blowing out his brains under those circumstances shows an amazing lack of understanding about people.

Deberg_1990
02-21-2007, 04:52 PM
That they couldn't imagine a prosecutor that they had worked with often over the years blowing out his brains under those circumstances shows an amazing lack of understanding about people.

Yea, i thought the same thing. As i mentioned earlier, why didnt they just wait to pick him up at work the next day?

Fire Me Boy!
02-21-2007, 05:19 PM
Yea, i thought the same thing. As i mentioned earlier, why didnt they just wait to pick him up at work the next day?
They addressed that issue last night. They (police and two judges) believed that he had already gone to great lengths to destroy evidence. They said their crime lab couldn't get past what they called many locks on the hard drive.

They believed their best bet in actually convicting the guy was to take him that night, before he had more opportunity to destroy evidence.

Deberg_1990
02-21-2007, 05:29 PM
They addressed that issue last night. They (police and two judges) believed that he had already gone to great lengths to destroy evidence. They said their crime lab couldn't get past what they called many locks on the hard drive..

I remember that now. Id almost hate to think what sort of perversions he had saved on his hard drives if he was protecting them that much?

They believed their best bet in actually convicting the guy was to take him that night, before he had more opportunity to destroy evidence.

They probably could have done a better job of sneaking up on him instead of waltzing on up to the door with the NBC camera crew.

Hindsites 20/20 i guess....oh well...

I guess i should state for the record i dont agree with what any of these turds are trying to do with young kids.

I do have a problem with the way NBC presents it and their sleazy and smarmy attitude towards what appears to be a very serious problem that the internet has helped to create. Dateline used to be a respectable newsmagazine. Now they are just one step above a typical episode of Mory Povich.

Valiant
02-21-2007, 06:16 PM
The Dateline episode that aired yesterday showed that Texas police officers are still capable of the kind of cluelessness that helped bring about the Waco fiasco. That they couldn't imagine a prosecutor that they had worked with often over the years blowing out his brains under those circumstances shows an amazing lack of understanding about people.

They probably knew it was going to happen, saved everybody millions of dollars by letting it happen...

Jenny Gump
02-21-2007, 07:27 PM

I don't feel sorry for ANYONE who would be tempted to prey on children for any reason. If the tendency is there, I say go after them.

If we were talking straight prostitution, well, I have a problem with that. Two consenting adults...etc. But my God, kids? Come on.

Iowanian
02-21-2007, 07:35 PM
I gotta say I'm a little surprised at some of you so close to taking the side of kidfuggers.

A kid posting on the internet is NOT entrapment.

If the same guys saw a 12 year old nude and tied over a barrel.....I suppose they'd better just hammer out a nut, since it was in the air, right....because normal, non-pedos would do that too.

They should throw the book at every one of those pricks. The only one who found any honor was the guy who saved Tax payers the trouble by putting a bullet in his brainpan.

I could never be entrapped for this because I wouldn't hump a kid. Its not rocket science.

Moon§hiner
02-21-2007, 07:40 PM
Since I didn't see any reply about the 15 yr old that was accurate, he showed up at the door because the actual predator sent him up as a pawn to see what would happen...the kid was unaware, and the predator was arrested trying to make an escape.

Mile High Mania
02-21-2007, 07:52 PM
I gotta say I'm a little surprised at some of you so close to taking the side of kidfuggers.

A kid posting on the internet is NOT entrapment.

If the same guys saw a 12 year old nude and tied over a barrel.....I suppose they'd better just hammer out a nut, since it was in the air, right....because normal, non-pedos would do that too.

They should throw the book at every one of those pricks. The only one who found any honor was the guy who saved Tax payers the trouble by putting a bullet in his brainpan.

I could never be entrapped for this because I wouldn't hump a kid. Its not rocket science.

Dude, seriously and this is not smack... I love the way you put things. Brutal honesty with a creative flair that always makes me laugh.

Iowanian
02-21-2007, 07:57 PM
I wish there were a "get out of jail free" card for dads.

If there were ever a reason for Justifiable homicide, this should be in the top 5.

I know this, If I ever catch some slick willie trying to cyber my daughter...I'll get in the chair and say "my folks are gone, I'm naked, come on over, I'll leave the door open".

And for the one who asked earlier....I DO think Pedo-kid humpers are worse than murderers.

They kill someone, its over for that person. Fug a kid and it'll fug with them the rest of their days in some way.

There should just be a wood chipper in the back of the police van.

Mile High Mania
02-21-2007, 07:58 PM
Totally agree and when the dude comes by... "bat meet head".

Halfcan
02-21-2007, 08:00 PM
Dude, seriously and this is not smack... I love the way you put things. Brutal honesty with a creative flair that always makes me laugh.

Don't encourage him-lol

Iowanian
02-21-2007, 08:02 PM
You know....I'm not sure I'd even try to hide it....

Tie them to your bumper by their balls and drag them to the nearest garbage dump as a future warning. I think bonus points are in order if you jump some curbs and ease over onto the hwy Rumble strips...

Nothing I hate worse than a pedo.

Fire Me Boy!
02-21-2007, 09:03 PM
Nothing I hate worse than a Speedo.
FYP.