PDA

View Full Version : Current and former Jeep Wrangler owners

Archie F. Swin
02-21-2007, 09:57 AM
I'm looking at 2007 as the year I replace my daily driver, a '94 Jeep Cherokee (4.0l 2wd). I'm looking for input and advice concerning a used Jeep Wrangler, a vehicle I am giving serious consideration as my next daily driver. I will probably try to find a '97 to 2000 Wrangler.

First of all why am I tiring of the Cherokee?
-It looks like the Exxon Valdez ran ashore on my driveway
-No driver's side airbag
-the auto tranny has been quirky lately, regualry slipping into what wrenches call "limp" mode
-the vehicle performs very poorly (read: dangerously) on icy, at times wet roads

Why am I considering a Wrangler?
I would like to have a vehicle with a bit more of a "fun to drive" factor, and more importantly I'm becoming increasingly more interested in owning a convertible. Now I know a Jeep Wrangler is not the first thing that comes to mind when you think convertible, but here's my reasoning.
Convertibles are one of three things A)two-seat roadsters B) limited production American cars C) expensive imports.
With that in mind I'm thinking that the Wrangler is the only vehicle I can squeeze my wife and two kids in, drop the top, and If it something fails mechanically...O'Reilly has the part on the shelf.

Even though my Cherokee has not been my favorite, primarily because of the stupid ****ing sensors, that can leave you on the side of the road if one fails, I do like the 4.0l engine because of the ease of maintenance and the common parts. Not to mention its a potent six-banger.

I would especially be interested in opinions in hard top vs soft top.

L.A. Chieffan
02-21-2007, 10:00 AM
I had a nice wrangler a few years ago. Lifted, a lot of custom stuff. It's a cool car and the females like it but it ain't practical for an every day car.

Sully
02-21-2007, 10:01 AM
I had a Wrangler for 7 years. I loved it. The convertability factor was the best part, especially taking the doors off.
I had a 95. It was pretty basic, 5-speed, 4-cylinder. If anything went wrong with it, it was also pretty basic, and I don't know crap about fixing cars.
The only bad thing was the noise. If you are driving a ong distance, you are absically driving a refrigerator box with wheels, so wind can eff with it pretty bad, and with the soft top, the wind noise is annoying. However, I did drive it to Florida and back, and to Columbia and back many times, so you get used to it.

RJ
02-21-2007, 10:36 AM
Agree with Sully across the board. I really enjoyed it but it wasn't practical for everyday use or road trips. If I have one again it will be just for weekend fun when my daughter gets old enough to not need a car seat.

Radar Chief
02-21-2007, 10:47 AM
I had a Wrangler for 7 years. I loved it. The convertability factor was the best part, especially taking the doors off.
I had a 95. It was pretty basic, 5-speed, 4-cylinder. If anything went wrong with it, it was also pretty basic, and I don't know crap about fixing cars.
The only bad thing was the noise. If you are driving a ong distance, you are absically driving a refrigerator box with wheels, so wind can eff with it pretty bad, and with the soft top, the wind noise is annoying. However, I did drive it to Florida and back, and to Columbia and back many times, so you get used to it.

You should try an old CJ, it’s like drive’n down the highway in a tent.

DMAC
02-21-2007, 10:49 AM
I had a 94 Wrangler, then the family came.

I loved it, you join a "community" so to say.

Although, I have noticed that recently Jeeps have become more of a "chick" car.

Radar Chief
02-21-2007, 11:01 AM
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/mambo2/

Go to Jeeps Unlimited and check out their boards. The CJ forum is strictly tech and there’s lots of good information and experienced technical guys that post there.
They also have forums that are split into the three different models for YJ, TJ and the new JK Wranglers.
I don’t think a ’97 Wrangler model exists, they skipped a year of production to make a bigger splash with the then new TJ model but I’m not certain of the year and the guys on the Wrangler forums would know better than I do.
From what I know of’em though, and since you’re basically look’n in the TJ model range, you should probably look for either a late model, IIRC ’05 and above, or a Sahara model. The basic TJ comes with a Dana 35 rear axle that is universally accepted as junk. The later models will have an AAM (American Axle Manufacturer) that is an upgrade over the Dana and the Sahara as the battle tested Dana 44.
All will use the Dana 30 front and some got the high pinion version, at least I think. The Dana 30 is a pretty good front axle but the high pinion version is a bit stronger.
It seems like they also got the AX 15 transmission and NV231 transfer case.
Like I said though, the guys at JU will know better than I do.

Archie F. Swin
02-21-2007, 11:25 AM
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/mambo2/

Go to Jeeps Unlimited and check out their boards. The CJ forum is strictly tech and there’s lots of good information and experienced technical guys that post there.
They also have forums that are split into the three different models for YJ, TJ and the new JK Wranglers.
I don’t think a ’97 Wrangler model exists, they skipped a year of production to make a bigger splash with the then new TJ model but I’m not certain of the year and the guys on the Wrangler forums would know better than I do.
From what I know of’em though, and since you’re basically look’n in the TJ model range, you should probably look for either a late model, IIRC ’05 and above, or a Sahara model. The basic TJ comes with a Dana 35 rear axle that is universally accepted as junk. The later models will have an AAM (American Axle Manufacturer) that is an upgrade over the Dana and the Sahara as the battle tested Dana 44.
All will use the Dana 30 front and some got the high pinion version, at least I think. The Dana 30 is a pretty good front axle but the high pinion version is a bit stronger.
It seems like they also got the AX 15 transmission and NV231 transfer case.
Like I said though, the guys at JU will know better than I do.

'ppreciate the input, but the type of axles, tranys and suspensions will not really skew my opinion of the vehicle overall. Thats why I'm asking planeteers, hoping to sample more in the way of average joe vehicle owners. The folks at JU are more likely hard-core Jeepsters, many of them "off-roaders" which I will likely not be.

I will probably visit JU after I give the Wrangler more consideration. Just cause I don't know what kind of rear end/axle or tranny my Cherokee has doesn't mean I can't give advice or have an opinion on owning one.

jspchief
02-21-2007, 11:34 AM
Had an '87 Wrangler for about 7 years.

I don't think I'll ever enjoy another vehicle like I did that one. Nothing compares to taking the top and doors off on those first really nice days of spring.

The only reason I don't own another one is space. For camping and tailgating it just doesn't have the room I desire.

I had a hardtop with a harness system in my garage that made for easy removal/installation. I also had a bikini top and toneau cover. If I had to do it again I would go the hard top route again. It may limit your ability to go topless on the fly, but for overall practicality hard top wins out.

Brock
02-21-2007, 11:44 AM
It's a good vehicle, as long as you have basic mechanical skills.

Radar Chief
02-21-2007, 11:56 AM
'ppreciate the input, but the type of axles, tranys and suspensions will not really skew my opinion of the vehicle overall. Thats why I'm asking planeteers, hoping to sample more in the way of average joe vehicle owners. The folks at JU are more likely hard-core Jeepsters, many of them "off-roaders" which I will likely not be.

I will probably visit JU after I give the Wrangler more consideration. Just cause I don't know what kind of rear end/axle or tranny my Cherokee has doesn't mean I can't give advice or have an opinion on owning one.

Ok, that’s kewl.
If you’re not look’n for something to go off pavement at all, I wouldn’t bother with a Jeep. You’ll increase the likelihood of mechanical issues just for a convertible and if that’s all you want there are better options, IMO.
But if you just like the looks and think they’re cool, I won’t get mad at’cha. ;)

rageeumr
02-21-2007, 11:57 AM
I got rid of my '02 Wrangler about 8 months ago:

Pros
*Like you said, it's fun to drive, my friends always wanted me to drive when we went out.
*Convertable was cool, I like open air driving.
*Even though it's pretty light, it kicked snow's ass
*Pretty easy to work on and the easiest oil change I have ever done.

Cons
*Terrible gas mileage. I got 14 MPG with my I6.
*If you have the soft top on, there is a 50/50 chance you will have a nervous breakdown if you have more than a 2 hour trip. The wind noise is terrible.
*As has been discussed, a good wind grabs a Wrangler like a sail.
*It was absolutely USELESS for cargo. If you have all the seats full, enjoy the two grocery bags you can fit in it.
*Good luck driving any faster than 70....ever, even with the I6.

I really considered keeping the Wrangler when I got my truck, but I ended up not doing it. I loved the ride, but it's not a great car to have unless you have a good reliable SUV, truck or at least good-sized car as well.

chappy
02-21-2007, 01:27 PM
I owned a 88 Wrangler 4.0L softtop. If you get a hardtop you won't be topless very often they are not fun to put on and off even the newer tops which are a bit easier. and storage of the hardtop is an issue to consider also. With a newer softtop you can slide the top on or off without having to take it completely off.

stevieray
02-21-2007, 04:04 PM
I love my Cherokee..my oldest wants a Wrangler.

Deberg_1990
02-21-2007, 04:13 PM
Chick magnets.........thats about all they are good for...

stevieray
02-21-2007, 04:15 PM

well, there's that whole WWII thing..

Sully
02-21-2007, 07:23 PM
I owned a 88 Wrangler 4.0L softtop. If you get a hardtop you won't be topless very often they are not fun to put on and off even the newer tops which are a bit easier. and storage of the hardtop is an issue to consider also. With a newer softtop you can slide the top on or off without having to take it completely off.

When I was in Hawaii last month, I was missing my old one, so the wife and I rented one, and that top that you can just pull down makes things a lot easier.

Archie F. Swin
02-22-2007, 09:24 PM
Bump...like jeep over a soft contact lense

Cochise
02-22-2007, 10:29 PM
I have a GC and am really liking it so far. Maybe the older ones weren't this way, but I thought it was really great in the snow. Solid as a rock.

Archie F. Swin
03-01-2007, 10:47 PM
there's still time to have your say!

dred
03-02-2007, 12:44 AM
I have a 2000 Sahara with the hardtop.

Bought it brand new from a local dealership.

Absolute blast to drive in the Snow, Mud and most importantly ... the trails!

There are a lot of Jeep clubs that form up and go rock crawlin' out here in Virginia.

They are everywhere! Both the clubs and seriously cool trails.

Serious fun!

Summers are great fun too since you can take the top off.

I highly recommend the Jeep Wrangler.

edit: Oh yeah, don't even bother with a soft top bro.

BAD wind noise at highway speeds.

BAD for keeping warm in Winter and cool in Summer since they never seal very well.

Hard tops are amazing compared to the soft tops.

Radar Chief
03-02-2007, 06:50 AM

;)

Jeep. Bouncy and fun. (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2512249746173560379)

Archie F. Swin
03-02-2007, 06:51 AM
edit: Oh yeah, don't even bother with a soft top bro.

BAD wind noise at highway speeds.

BAD for keeping warm in Winter and cool in Summer since they never seal very well.

Hard tops are amazing compared to the soft tops.

so far, you're the first owner to say that...of the two BBs I've posted this question at.

Sully
03-02-2007, 07:51 AM

That's not true. I had a soft top and it warmed up n there faster than any vehicle I've ever had. It also got hotter inside than anything, and in the dead of winter I would often have to turn off my heater. I was talking with some folks about why that would be, since it definitely wasn't sealed around the edges, and they said that it was probably because it wasn't as insulated as regular cars, so the cold air escaped easier. I don't know if they were talking out of their asses or not, but poor heating was one problem I never encountered.

BIG_DADDY
03-02-2007, 09:31 AM
Just sell it before they quit making parts. It's what keeps me from owning one ever again. THis was mine, I loved it but got tired of the parts delio.

Archie F. Swin
03-02-2007, 10:09 AM
Just sell it before they quit making parts. It's what keeps me from owning one ever again. THis was mine, I loved it but got tired of the parts delio.
what year is that?

Simply Red
03-02-2007, 10:13 AM

wow that's one of the nicest looking Jeeps I've ever seen.

Brock
03-02-2007, 10:18 AM

Huh? the parts aftermarket on Jeeps is possibly the most extensive of the entire car world. You can nearly build an entire Jeep with parts out of a catalogue.

Archie F. Swin
03-02-2007, 10:28 AM
Huh? the parts aftermarket on Jeeps is possibly the most extensive of the entire car world. You can nearly build an entire Jeep with parts out of a catalogue.
and some chewing gum :p

Radar Chief
03-02-2007, 10:37 AM
That's not true. I had a soft top and it warmed up n there faster than any vehicle I've ever had. It also got hotter inside than anything, and in the dead of winter I would often have to turn off my heater. I was talking with some folks about why that would be, since it definitely wasn't sealed around the edges, and they said that it was probably because it wasn't as insulated as regular cars, so the cold air escaped easier. I don't know if they were talking out of their asses or not, but poor heating was one problem I never encountered.

Don’t know ‘bout your Wrangler, but my CJ stays nice and warm ‘cause the engine is ‘bout a ¼” from rub’n the firewall. The firewall and floor literally radiate heat.

BIG_DADDY
03-02-2007, 10:54 AM

You get other parts manufacturers making it for them but Jeep will not. The carb on mine was a pain in the ass. You would buy a rebuilt one and it would last about 9 months then you would have to replace it again. Some of the other companies that make these parts you talk about make parts that are less than desireable.

Like I said I loved the Jeep. I almost put a new engine with a fuel injection in it just to keep it. Instead I sold it, bought a PU and dirt bikes. Wish I had done the first as I beoke my shoulder ont he dirt bike then they started closing down the few places I had left to ride. I'm selling the dirt bikes now. You won't find an 89 Jeep Wrangler in better condition than that one was in either.

Archie F. Swin
03-02-2007, 11:10 AM
You won't find an 89 Jeep Wrangler in better condition than that one was in either.

was it green, gray, or somewhere in between? What size engine?

BIG_DADDY
03-02-2007, 11:22 AM
was it green, gray, or somewhere in between? What size engine?

258 Khaki color with a 4" lift and a trick suspension pops put on it. I just can't remember the name of it right now. Stiff as hell.

Radar Chief
03-02-2007, 12:19 PM
You get other parts manufacturers making it for them but Jeep will not. The carb on mine was a pain in the ass. You would buy a rebuilt one and it would last about 9 months then you would have to replace it again. Some of the other companies that make these parts you talk about make parts that are less than desireable.

Like I said I loved the Jeep. I almost put a new engine with a fuel injection in it just to keep it. Instead I sold it, bought a PU and dirt bikes. Wish I had done the first as I beoke my shoulder ont he dirt bike then they started closing down the few places I had left to ride. I'm selling the dirt bikes now. You won't find an 89 Jeep Wrangler in better condition than that one was in either.

Yea see, you’ve got an odd ball Wrangler that still had the carbureted 258 ci straight six. I’ve heard nothing but horror stories ‘bout that POS “electronic carburetor”.
You have other options though, if you’re interested in it. For one you can take the cylinder head and all the fuel injection hardware from a 4.0L HO Wrangler or Cherokee motor and have fuel injection. You’d even have an arguabley better set up than the 4.0L ‘cause of the bigger displacement that’s mostly in the crank, i.e. it’s basically a 4.0 with a longer stroke.
Some of the CJ guys with the 258 are use’n an aftermarket fuel injection system that bolts to the stock motor, no cylinder head swap. That’d add horses and make it much more reliable.
Check out the link to Jeeps Unlimited Forums I posted earlier if your interested. Those guys would know more ‘bout it all than I do.

BIG_DADDY
03-02-2007, 12:25 PM
Yea see, you’ve got an odd ball Wrangler that still had the carbureted 258 ci straight six. I’ve heard nothing but horror stories ‘bout that POS “electronic carburetor”.
You have other options though, if you’re interested in it. For one you can take the cylinder head and all the fuel injection hardware from a 4.0L HO Wrangler or Cherokee motor and have fuel injection. You’d even have an arguabley better set up than the 4.0L ‘cause of the bigger displacement that’s mostly in the crank, i.e. it’s basically a 4.0 with a longer stroke.
Some of the CJ guys with the 258 are use’n an aftermarket fuel injection system that bolts to the stock motor, no cylinder head swap. That’d add horses and make it much more reliable.
Check out the link to Jeeps Unlimited Forums I posted earlier if your interested. Those guys would know more ‘bout it all than I do.

Ahh is that it? Shows what I know. No wonder I had like 20 people look at tit before it sold.

Archie F. Swin
03-20-2007, 10:45 AM
Anyone buy a 2.5 liter (4 cylinder) and regret not buying a 4.0 (6 cylinder)?

Brock
03-20-2007, 10:51 AM

You don't want the 4 cylinder. You'll get many, MANY more miles out of an I-6.

Frosty
03-20-2007, 10:59 AM

Pretty much everyone, the way I hear it. Underpowered and you will actually get worse mileage, in most cases.

Archie F. Swin
03-20-2007, 11:10 AM
... you will actually get worse mileage, in most cases.

you wouldn't be the first to mention that

jynni
03-20-2007, 11:37 AM
Are they really? I never would've guessed...

An guy I used to date had a Wrangler and I hated that thing with a burning passion. It wasn't just noisy - you could hardly carry on a conversation without yelling. Getting into it was a chore as there wasn't much to get a hold of to pull yourself up. Unzipping the windows was pretty lame as well.

I just tought it was an ugly, crappy, piece of shit tin can and couldn't believe they cost as much as they did.

Radar Chief
03-20-2007, 12:10 PM

My brother in law.

Radar Chief
03-20-2007, 12:15 PM
Are they really? I never would've guessed...

An guy I used to date had a Wrangler and I hated that thing with a burning passion. It wasn't just noisy - you could hardly carry on a conversation without yelling. Getting into it was a chore as there wasn't much to get a hold of to pull yourself up. Unzipping the windows was pretty lame as well.

I just tought it was an ugly, crappy, piece of shit tin can and couldn't believe they cost as much as they did.

:LOL: Mrs. Radar isn’t a Jeep fan either.

stevieray
03-20-2007, 01:39 PM
I had the 258 in an AMC eagle wagon...that thing was beast in the snow too...fuel injection in that car would've been sweet.

Radar Chief
03-20-2007, 01:46 PM
I had the 258 in an AMC eagle wagon...that thing was beast in the snow too...fuel injection in that car would've been sweet.

IIRC JP Magazine took a 4.0L H.O. bored it out, replaced the stock crank and rods with ones from a 258 and made a 4.6L stroker motor that cranked out something like +300 lb/ft of torque at or just over 2K RPM’s.
Those were solid motors and there’s lots of power potential. It’s a shame to see the 4.0L go away.

stevieray
03-20-2007, 01:54 PM
IIRC JP Magazine took a 4.0L H.O. bored it out, replaced the stock crank and rods with ones from a 258 and made a 4.6L stroker motor that cranked out something like +300 lb/ft of torque at or just over 2K RPM’s.
Those were solid motors and there’s lots of power potential. It’s a shame to see the 4.0L go away.

:eek:

My Cherokee has 140k, and the 4.0L motor is still strong.

Archie F. Swin
03-20-2007, 02:56 PM

what year model?

stevieray
03-20-2007, 03:03 PM
what year model?

2000..the year before they stopped production.

Cochise
03-20-2007, 03:10 PM

I am glad to hear people have had good experiences with this engine since my rig has one too. Only 30k on the clock right now but it's good to know that parts should never be a problem and it should be fairly reliable since I take good care of cars mechanically.

My neighbor had an old cherokee he finally sold recently that had a ton of miles on it and was still running fine... I think he said it was a 93? The paint was kind of gnarled from the sun, but other than that it was in good shape.

Cochise
03-20-2007, 03:11 PM
what year model?

that same AMC 4.0L I-6 was used in Cherokees, Grand Cherokees, and Wranglers (and Comanche, Wagoneer, etc) from ~1990 until the mid 2000s (when the GC and Wrangler were all-new)

DMAC
03-20-2007, 03:14 PM
My 94 Wrangler was "totaled out" at about 110K because of a hole in the exhaust. It was 4 cyl.

It still ran though.

Brock
03-20-2007, 03:21 PM
The I-6 is the best gasoline engine ever invented. It is Newton's Engine.

Piper
03-20-2007, 03:37 PM
I don't know if the cash is available, but you might try looking for a used 'Unlimited' as it is a little longer giving you some cargo space behind the back seat which makes ie MUCH more usable and the only reason I could consider a Wrangler. With wifey and two kids there is room for a bunch of stuff.
Makes the ride a bit better too as it has a longer wheel base.

Just my $.02 (and worth half that much)

Archie F. Swin
03-20-2007, 04:01 PM
I don't know if the cash is available, but you might try looking for a used 'Unlimited' as it is a little longer giving you some cargo space behind the back seat which makes ie MUCH more usable and the only reason I could consider a Wrangler. With wifey and two kids there is room for a bunch of stuff.
Makes the ride a bit better too as it has a longer wheel base.

Just my $.02 (and worth half that much)

thanks, but I'm looking to spend less than $10k

Archie F. Swin
04-30-2007, 09:02 AM
Score!!

Apparently my digital camera is just a picture or two away from an untimely death, but here's my new (used) rig

http://cuddinfish.homestead.com/files/tj1.jpg

2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

I promise the sky was not pink when I took this picture...the Jeep however is dark green with a khaki top.

dtebbe
04-30-2007, 09:19 AM
Score!!

Apparently my digital camera is just a picture or two away from an untimely death, but here's my new (used) rig

I promise the sky was not pink when I took this picture...the Jeep however is dark green with a khaki top.

You would fit right in with all the thuper Mid-town Atlanta "men".

DT

Archie F. Swin
04-30-2007, 09:52 AM
sorry to disappoint DT,

Cochise
04-30-2007, 09:54 AM
Nice looking rig, good luck with it :thumb:

Archie F. Swin
04-30-2007, 10:02 AM
thanks...I'm really looking forward to getting the soft top on it

andoman
05-03-2007, 03:40 PM
Hey all,

Since this is a Jeep Wrangler thread I thought I ask for some advice too. I have an opportunity to purchase a 1997 Wrangler with 90K miles, 6 cylinder automatic for $3,000.00. I'm concerned that the deal is too good to be true. Plus, I'm in GA and the Jeep is in PA; about a 14 hour drive. Do you think this is legit?

Here are some pictures of the Jeep.
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=68722 http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=68723 http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=68724

Baby Lee
05-03-2007, 03:42 PM
Bunch'a Lorelai Gilmores here.

Cochise
05-03-2007, 04:00 PM
that does sound too good to be true... is it salvaged or something?

andoman
05-03-2007, 04:09 PM
that does sound too good to be true... is it salvaged or something?

Carfax doesn't show any salvage or flood records. 5 owners, but 4 of them in the last 3 years. It is for sale in PA but titled in AL. Owner says he just moved from AL back in with his parents in PA after his divorce.

Gracie Dean
05-03-2007, 04:41 PM
I have a liberty renegade and its cool

kind of sporty but not too big

stevieray
05-03-2007, 04:45 PM
90k on that motor is nothing...I'd snag it.

andoman
05-03-2007, 04:51 PM
90k on that motor is nothing...I'd snag it.

I'm trying to arrange a road trip to PA this weekend.

The owner assures me that nothing is wrong with it and it does look good, but that being a given, couldn't this guy take it to CarMAX or any other local dealer and get $3K for it? That's what worries me.

burt
05-03-2007, 05:07 PM
I'm trying to arrange a road trip to PA this weekend.

The owner assures me that nothing is wrong with it and it does look good, but that being a given, couldn't this guy take it to CarMAX or any other local dealer and get $3K for it? That's what worries me.

I would be very concerned.

andoman
05-03-2007, 05:17 PM
I would be very concerned.

Concerned that the Jeep isn't what it is advertised to be, concerned that it is a scam to get my money, or both?

burt
05-03-2007, 05:20 PM
Concerned that the Jeep isn't what it is advertised to be, concerned that it is a scam to get my money, or both?

For $3K? Both.

stevieray
05-03-2007, 05:28 PM

who gives a damn..even if it needed a tranny...that's still a smoking deal.

I'd buy it for that with a blown tranny.

andoman
05-03-2007, 05:36 PM
Another strange tidbit... The guy actually had it up for auction on eBay Motors. He stated what he wanted for it ($3K), but hoped he would get more and would entertain offers. He said he was sick and couldn't drive it anymore. I contacted him through eBay because, given its reported condition, I expected the auction to go up well over $3K and was thinking about making an offer before it did. The auction got up close to $5K in the next few days and I had not heard from him so I stopped watching it. Shortly thereafter I get an email from him via eBay saying that he had a deadbeat bidder on his auction, but would still sell it to me for $3K, but only through a "Buy It Now" full payment on eBay. I've corresponded with him indicating I would be unwilling to do so without first seeing the Jeep and the clear title. I'd hate to waste the time and money on the trip to PA.

dred
05-03-2007, 05:44 PM
Sounds like it "might" be a scam to me.

andoman
05-03-2007, 06:14 PM
I appreciate everyone's input. Just to add more info to the discussion, here is the content from the eBay auction.

<hr><b>Vehicle Description</b>

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4.0, Black w/ Tan inter. New 2 1/2" Skyjacker lift and shocks. 32" BFG K/O tires, auto trans. w/ 3.73 gears. Black sailcloth soft top(extremely quiet) with tinted windows. Full doors also with tinted windows. Black brush guard available (not shown). The Sahara package includes painted wide fender flares, dark green seats, and fully carpeted floors. Tires come with lifetime warranty with free balance and rotations at NTB. Factory aluminum wheels available. Very clean Jeep, runs great, well taken care of. I hate to sell it, but I have to. I'm very sick and I can't drive it anymore. This is an awsome buy and you will not be disapointed with it! I will deliver the Jeep to you (within 200 miles) at no charge. If you have any questions feel free to contact me via email or you can call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx.

<b>Seller added the following information:</b>

my selling price is starts from $3000. this is the lower price i can sell it but i hope i will get more than that because the jeep is in excellent condition. if you want to make me an offer please contact me via ebay.

<hr>

andoman
05-03-2007, 06:19 PM
who gives a damn..even if it needed a tranny...that's still a smoking deal.

I'd buy it for that with a blown tranny.

If it were closer to me, I would have no hesitation in going to see it. But it's a 14 hour drive. That's why I'm seeking the opinions and wealth of information from the quality members of ChiefsPlanet!

stevieray
05-03-2007, 06:23 PM
If it were closer to me, I would have no hesitation in going to see it. But it's a 14 hour drive. That's why I'm seeking the opinions and wealth of information from the quality member of ChiefsPlanet!

i hear that...one mans trash is another mans treasure...deals like this just don't come around very often...ever hear of a widow selling a pristine 65 stang for 1k? not very often, but it does happen...you could put three grand into it and prolly still make money if you decided to sell it.

go with your gut feeling.

kstater
05-03-2007, 06:29 PM
I think at that price it might be a scam. On the other hand at that price it might be worth it to drive up there to see it. If it's legit give him cash and be on your way.

Archie F. Swin
05-03-2007, 06:31 PM
what worries me is that if its in as good of shape as it looks in the pic....he could get damn near 13k for it

Archie F. Swin
05-03-2007, 06:34 PM
You should post this question at www.jeepsunlimited.com (on the TJ board) chances are, there are some PA based jeepsters there. Thay might offer some guidance

andoman
05-03-2007, 07:09 PM
You should post this question at www.jeepsunlimited.com (on the TJ board) chances are, there are some PA based jeepsters there. Thay might offer some guidance

I might just do that, thanks for the tip.

stlchiefs
05-03-2007, 07:42 PM
I've had 3 jeeps and always keep an eye on them. This deal is WAY too good to be true or the seller is an idiot. He said he's sick, does he have SARS? Seriously though, proceed with caution. I would look into the protection or escrow that ebay offers and it could be a better option of purchasing. I'd also be careful with how much info you give out, especially on jeep forums. If this sale is legit, someone may just steal the great deal out from under you. What did you say the guys phone number was again? :)

MIAdragon
05-03-2007, 07:55 PM
Hard tops are amazingly heavy compared to the soft tops.

FYP

Archie F. Swin
05-03-2007, 08:05 PM
Scored this over the weekend...
http://cuddinfish.homestead.com/files/tj_full.jpg
2000 Sahara with 53k miles

stlchiefs
05-03-2007, 08:25 PM
Nice Archie, now you need to upgrade the tires and wheels. You don't want to look like every other stock Jeep on the road do you?

Archie F. Swin
05-03-2007, 08:43 PM
Nice Archie, now you need to upgrade the tires and wheels. You don't want to look like every other stock Jeep on the road do you?

seems to me that those who have stock wheels are in the minority
:harumph:

andoman
05-04-2007, 04:19 AM

seems to me that those who have stock wheels are in the minority

I actually prefer the stock wheels. I'm like that with cars. I like them as original as possible.

Radar Chief
05-04-2007, 06:37 AM
Score!!

Take down your picture already? I can’t see it.
Sahara Wranglers are good rigs though, Dana 44 rear instead of the POS Dana 35 I warned you about.

Never mind, I see it in post #81 now.
Good look’n rig. :thumb:

andoman
05-07-2007, 08:09 PM
Looks my great Jeep deal may indeed be a scam. I emailed him back offering to drive up and see it, but that I wouldn't pay for it without seeing it first. Just saw today that he reposted it on eBay.

<a href=http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1J4FY49S5VP468507-1997-Jeep-Wrangler-Sahara-No-Reserve_W0QQitemZ330117087598QQihZ014QQcategoryZ6285QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1J4FY49S5VP468507-1997-Jeep-Wrangler-Sahara-No-Reserve_W0QQitemZ330117087598QQihZ014QQcategoryZ6285QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem</a>

Have at it!

stlchiefs
05-07-2007, 08:43 PM
Is that what he told you :)? It's nice with the top off, let me know if you want to come over for a ride. (wow that sounded very raunchy talking about a jeep)

Archie F. Swin
05-07-2007, 08:49 PM
When the auction is over, post the amount of the winning bid.

jlscorpio
05-07-2007, 09:25 PM
I like the new Unlimited Rubicon

andoman
05-09-2007, 04:01 PM
I went to check on the eBay auction and discovered it has been pulled. I was talking to a guy at work today who just went through the same thing with Suzuki Hayabusa. Sure glad I didn't drive to PA!

<b> This Listing Is Unavailable </b>

This listing (330117087598) has been removed or is no longer available. Please make sure you entered the right item number.
If the listing was removed by eBay, consider it canceled. Note: Listings that have ended more than 90 days ago will no longer appear on eBay.

andoman
05-09-2007, 04:09 PM
I just got an email from eBay:

<i>
Our records indicate that you received an email from yavorskijones through our Contact eBay Member or Ask Seller a Question feature. Please be aware that the email might contain a fraudulent offer to purchase or sell an item outside of eBay. We recommend not responding to the sender because the email might be an attempt to obtain your email address.
</I>

cardken
05-10-2007, 03:57 AM
Never understood, even when I lived in K.C., why you would own a convertable, soo impracticle. The weather sucks for it, half the year and a few harsh winters into it your top is destroyed. Just move to a warm climate, or drop the convertable idea.