PDA

View Full Version : Letters From Iwo Jima

Sully
02-21-2007, 07:35 PM
I did a quick search, and didn't see another thread on this movie.

I went and caught an afternoon showing of it today, and wow... what a great movie.

As most of you know, it is about the battle for Iwo Jima, shown through the eyes of the Japanese. The great thing Eastwood, Haggis, and whoever else was involved in this did was to make you sympathetic to the Japanese, without ever putting you, as a viewer, in a position where you rooted against the Americans. The visual effects were on par (or VERY close to) with Saving Private Ryan. The acting was fantastic, especially by Watanabe, and a couple of others in smaller roles.

I'd recommend this one highly.

noa
02-21-2007, 07:44 PM
Do you think I should see it if I haven't seen Flags of our Fathers first?

Jenson71
02-21-2007, 07:47 PM
Hey Sully, you're reviews are getting better. By next year, you might be able to write two paragraphs about a film, hopefully. :D

Sully
02-21-2007, 08:02 PM

I haven't seen Flags of our Fathers yet, either (SOmething about not being able to take seriously a movie starring a guy in constant pucker and the guy who sold fireworks in the movie "Joe Dirt."). So I think you definitely should.

Sully
02-21-2007, 08:04 PM
Hey Sully, you're reviews are getting better. By next year, you might be able to write two paragraphs about a film, hopefully. :D

Yeah... that one from last week was really an abberation. This one is more typical to other reviews I have posted.

Halfcan
02-21-2007, 08:16 PM
Please don't spoil the ending-lol

ChiefFan31
02-21-2007, 08:23 PM
A co-worker saw this movie and said it was really good. I guess it is not out in too many theaters.

I have watched Flags of our Fathers. Good movie, would be interesting to see the Japanese side of it. I heard about, how you say, they don't make you feel anti-American for sympathizing with the Japs.

I will probably buy the movie when it comes out, as I have bought Flags of our Fathers.

Deberg_1990
02-21-2007, 08:36 PM
A co-worker saw this movie and said it was really good. I guess it is not out in too many theaters.

I have watched Flags of our Fathers. Good movie, would be interesting to see the Japanese side of it. I heard about, how you say, they don't make you feel anti-American for sympathizing with the Japs.

I will probably buy the movie when it comes out, as I have bought Flags of our Fathers.

They should have released these two flicks as a double bill....ala Grindhouse.

banyon
02-21-2007, 08:59 PM

I watched them back to back a couple of months ago. Chronologically, some of the story makes sense if you watch Iwo first and Flags 2nd.

however, iwo is a far superior movie, imo, and it's kid of a bring-down to watch flags after it, so I think you could do it the other way, although I watched iwo 1st.

noa
02-23-2007, 11:42 AM
I just went to see the movie last night. Very powerful and well made. I really enjoyed the interplay of duty to your country, duty to your family, honor, and doing what you have to do to stay alive.

dirk digler
02-23-2007, 11:54 AM
I want to see the movie but I could care less about it being sympathetic to the Japanese mother****ers. The things they did to our troops on Iwo Jima are unforgivable IMO.

Redrum_69
02-23-2007, 12:01 PM
Flags of our fathers

At one point I thought "damn this movie is great"

then the group set the flag on the hill and I balled like a little baby

Halfcan
02-23-2007, 12:47 PM
I saw Letters last night for my Bday-I was blown away. It should easily win Best Pic and Best Director.

Fire Me Boy!
02-23-2007, 12:54 PM
For the record, I think the Eastwood is going to win the Oscar this year for best director, once again beating fellow nominee Martin Scorsese. I haven't seen Letters, yet... but I'm betting Eastwood wins, mainly because I think he sits in the center of a giant Academy Award voters' circle jerk so that he can win.

Let the Eastwood love-fest begin.

Damn, I want Marty to get an Oscar. He deserved it for Gangs of New York.

Sully
02-23-2007, 02:32 PM
For the record, I think the Eastwood is going to win the Oscar this year for best director, once again beating fellow nominee Martin Scorsese. I haven't seen Letters, yet... but I'm betting Eastwood wins, mainly because I think he sits in the center of a giant Academy Award voters' circle jerk so that he can win.

I was really pulling for Marty, as well, till I saw this one. Now I'm really torn about it.

Halfcan
02-23-2007, 02:46 PM

Gangs was a great film-while the Defarted covered no new ground.

Letters was head and shoulders above anything else. Clint made another Classic and deserves to win.

Fire Me Boy!
02-23-2007, 07:33 PM
Gangs was a great film-while the Defarted covered no new ground.

Letters was head and shoulders above anything else. Clint made another Classic and deserves to win.
IIRC, Eastwood won for Mystic River, which was good, but not better than Gangs. It's the academy's love affair with Eastwood.

Cochise
02-23-2007, 07:40 PM
Watanabe is great.

Fairplay
02-23-2007, 08:07 PM
Gangs of New York was a horrible film.

Shouldn't be even mentioned in the same sentence as Oscar.

noa
02-23-2007, 08:38 PM
IIRC, Eastwood won for Mystic River, which was good, but not better than Gangs. It's the academy's love affair with Eastwood.

Unfortunately for a Scorsese fan like you, I think Clint is going to win again this year. I liked both The Departed and Letters from Iwo Jima, but IMO two things separate Letters.
First, The Departed was a remake, so they already had a template to work off of. Plus, it was another venture into familiar territory for Scorsese (organized crime). Letters, on the other hand, was part of a cinematic first (a war movie from both sides of the battle).
Second, Letters contains lessons and parallels that can be applied to our current struggles, while The Departed is simply entertainment.

Fairplay
02-23-2007, 09:19 PM
First, The Departed was a remake, so they already had a template to work off of.

The Titanic was a remake, several times over. We all knew the ending before it started.

It won eleven Oscars.

noa
02-23-2007, 09:34 PM
The Titanic was a remake, several times over. We all knew the ending before it started.

It won eleven Oscars.

I don't really want to get into an argument over this because I liked the Departed so I don't want to knock it too much, but the Departed was an exact remake of another movie (Infernal Affairs). The characters and the plot were already laid out. Scorsese made some changes, but was still rather true to the original.
Titanic, on the other hand was a remake in that other movies had been made about the Titanic. To my knowledge, though, no other Titianic movie involved the same characters and plot as this one. They took a historical event that had already been depicted, but made a completely different movie than the predecessors, other than the ending.

ChiefFripp
02-23-2007, 10:00 PM
Gangs of New York was a horrible film.

Shouldn't be even mentioned in the same sentence as Oscar.

How dare you! Seriuosly though, what didn't you liek about it? Bill The Butcher is probably my favorite movie character of all time.