PDA

View Full Version : David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar?

vailpass
02-22-2007, 09:39 AM
The VanHalen thread got me wondering how may people prefer Van Halen with David Lee Roth at the front vs. how many like VH better with Sammy Hagar on vocals.

L.A. Chieffan
02-22-2007, 09:41 AM
WE NEED MORE VH THREADS!
Who shot up more H, Eddie or Alex?

Radar Chief
02-22-2007, 09:47 AM
DLR. Saw’im on’is solo concert tour. He’s a good entertainer, and Stevie Vai can flat out play an ax.

Woodrow Call
02-22-2007, 09:50 AM
Roth its not even a contest IMO

Reerun_KC
02-22-2007, 09:59 AM
Damn Am I the only one who voted for Sammie?

Yes Steve Vai is a god on the guitar...

Still think Roth has taken to many high hard ones up the old catchers mit.

Brock
02-22-2007, 10:01 AM
Damn Am I the only one who voted for Sammie?

Yes Steve Vai is a god on the guitar...

What is your fascination with gay references?

Kerberos
02-22-2007, 10:04 AM
There is NO other singer for VanHalen that will EVER be as good as DLR was with them.

IMHO

JohninGpt
02-22-2007, 10:06 AM
I liked Diamond Dave with VH. I prefer Sammy's solo stuff.

Bacon Cheeseburger
02-22-2007, 10:07 AM
Even though I always thought DLR was an egotistical jerk, I like that era of VH better, with the exception of Diver Down and 1984. Both those albums were crap, especially 1984.

Woodrow Call
02-22-2007, 10:07 AM
No love for Gary Cherone?

Braincase
02-22-2007, 10:24 AM
Sammy. He wrote better lyrics, had a better vocal range, and can add another guitar. VH wrote their best songs and best arrangements when Sammy was the lead singer. What has DLR done without VH? Squat. What has Sammy done without VH? GOld and PLatinum, gold and platinum.

Brock
02-22-2007, 10:27 AM
Sammy. He wrote better lyrics, had a better vocal range, and can add another guitar. VH wrote their best songs and best arrangements when Sammy was the lead singer. What has DLR done without VH? Squat. What has Sammy done without VH? GOld and PLatinum, gold and platinum.

Dave had two platinums and a gold as well. As for Sammy writing better lyrics, LMAO, you may need to review that catalogue again.

Frazod
I saw VH in concert with Hagar, who effortlessly covered Roth's vocals when they performed the older songs. Roth's more of a showman than a musician. And more of an egomanical jerkoff. I prefer Hagar as a performer and a human being.

kc rush
Even though I always thought DLR was an egotistical jerk, I like that era of VH better.

Agreed there. I did like some VanHagar songs, but the band was better with Roth.

Calcountry
02-22-2007, 10:46 AM
They should both go on American Idol and have a sing off, the winner gets to go on the road.

ChiefFripp
02-22-2007, 11:00 AM
Mean Streets Vs. Pound Cake?

Van Halen sounded better raw than over-produced with Hagar's voice.

Pitt Gorilla
02-22-2007, 11:05 AM
Hagar, and clearly I'm in the minority.

Tatertot13
02-22-2007, 11:10 AM
I'm a rocker through and through. Here's a list of my favorite bands: AC/DC, Van Halen not Van Hagar, Skynyrd, Def Lep...

Sully
02-22-2007, 11:17 AM
I priced both of em for my Wedding reception, because... well... both were available.

But then I decided to just spend the extra $50 and get a DJ.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-22-2007, 11:23 AM
Except for 1984 I never liked Van Halen UNTIL Sammy Hagar got there.

DLR is the Britney Spears of hard rock.

Bwana
02-22-2007, 11:28 AM
Dave: Not even a contest.

alpha_omega
02-22-2007, 11:31 AM
Like 'em both!

Both good...just different.

Bacon Cheeseburger
02-22-2007, 11:41 AM
Hagar, and clearly I'm in the minority.
Yes, you are. Now go stand in the corner while the rest of us pelt you with rocks and garbage.

jlscorpio
02-22-2007, 11:43 AM
I can't believe this is even up for discussion. DLR=the standard by which all other frontmen are measured

Bowser
02-22-2007, 11:47 AM
Riding the fence on this one.

Van Halen was two different bands when the two guys were on vocals. For what they brought, both were good, and both were considered to be great party rock bands. Definitely more of a produced pop feeling with Hagar, though.

Never saw VH with Dave, only Sammy. Both times they opened with "One Way to Rock", and it sounded great.

trndobrd
02-22-2007, 12:09 PM

Cock of the Walk, Baby!

DaneMcCloud
02-22-2007, 12:14 PM

I've run into Dave at several strip clubs in L.A. and it was hard to detect any "gayness" when he had a least four strippers around him at all times. AND he went out "back" with a few of them. They all returned with happy faces.

DaneMcCloud
02-22-2007, 12:22 PM

Gotta disagree, Bro. The songs that were created with Eddie/Dave were unlike any other songs, then or now. There was a chemistry between the two that wasn't unlike Diz & Bird; two unique voices with unique phrasing combined to make one sound. And while the lyrical content wasn't as "poppy" as what Sammy normally writes about, the fact that they had so much success without sugar coating their songs (until 1984-yuck) is even more of a testament to their collective creative genius.

From a compositional standpoint, it's much easier for a pop-rock singer like Hagar, who writes about cars and women in typical pop song structures, to have success with other musicians and writers than it is for someone like Dave, who sings much like a jazz musician, in and out and around the beat. That's his thing and unfortunately, he was really never able to connect with someone other than Eddie that could write for him and bring out his abilities.

Eddie & Dave had a very unique chemistry that we'll likely never hear again. Sammy Hagar on the other hand continues to write meaningless party songs in an unchallenging classic rock format that many bands throughout the 80's copied. It's nearly impossible to copy Dave.

Simply Red
02-22-2007, 12:24 PM
both good, but obviously both very different sounding.

Radar Chief
02-22-2007, 12:41 PM
I'm a rocker through and through. Here's a list of my favorite bands: AC/DC, Van Halen not Van Hagar, Skynyrd, Def Lep...

Life’s a garden, dig it. ;)

Radar Chief
02-22-2007, 12:45 PM
DLR is the Britney Spears of hard rock.

:LOL: ROFL Problem with that analogy is that DRL was fully aware of the exploitative nature of the biz and played it to it’s fullest.

Here today, gone later today.

Britney’s just a ditz with a hot bod that doesn’t know any better ‘cause people keep shove’n money at’er.

Mile High Mania
02-22-2007, 12:54 PM
The lyrics during the Roth era were greatness. Yes, the lyrics that Sammy contributed were fine, but not better in my opinion.

And... I don't care if he plays the guitar as well. It's Van Halen and there's only one guy playing guitar that matters.

Dave was a perfomer, that's typically what the frontman of a band does, especially during that era. Dave put on a hell of a show, even during his solo tours. I liked some of his solo stuff.

Dave did quite well with his solo albums and to suggest otherwise is crazy. I prefer to never again hear Sammy sing old VH and vice versa.

Mile High Mania
02-22-2007, 01:00 PM
Sammy's creative genius...

"One foot on the brake and one on the gas, hey!
Well, there's too much traffic, I can't pass, no!
So I tried my best illegal move
A big black and white come and crushed my groove again!

CHORUS:
Go on & write me up for 125
Post my face, wanted dead or alive
Take my license n' all that jive
I can't drive É 55! Oh No! Uh!

So I signed my name on number 24, hey!
Yeah the judge said, "Boy, just one more
I'm gonna throw your ass in the city joint"
Looked me in the eye, said, "You get my point?"
I said "Yeah!, Oh yea!"

---

"All right now, here we go ...
Now we're gonna tell you a little story
About the way we like to party - take ya on a trip!
HIT IT!
That's right
I'm goin' way down south where the big blue agave grow,
Takin' a weekend trip down to Baja, Mexico!
Where you can drink the water, but don't ya eat the ice,
Take your vitamin "T" with salt 'n lemon slice ...
I say,
One shot...Hey! Mas Tequila-
Two shots...Hey! que veneno-
Three shots...Arriba! Mas Tequila!
Hey! Hey!
She did a mean macarena to the funky cold medina
Behind a body shot and three margaritas.
She'll drink it straight from the bottle, terra cotta jug,
From a boda bag coppin' a major buzz."

vailpass
02-22-2007, 01:04 PM
So far it is 61% for DLR and 25% for VanHagar.

Question for the VanHagar crowd: were you around/did you listen to VanHalen when Roth was heading up the band?

vailpass
02-22-2007, 01:05 PM
Sammy's creative genius...

"One foot on the brake and one on the gas, hey!
Well, there's too much traffic, I can't pass, no!
So I tried my best illegal move
A big black and white come and crushed my groove again!

CHORUS:
Go on & write me up for 125
Post my face, wanted dead or alive
Take my license n' all that jive
I can't drive É 55! Oh No! Uh!

So I signed my name on number 24, hey!
Yeah the judge said, "Boy, just one more
I'm gonna throw your ass in the city joint"
Looked me in the eye, said, "You get my point?"
I said "Yeah!, Oh yea!"

---

"All right now, here we go ...
Now we're gonna tell you a little story
About the way we like to party - take ya on a trip!
HIT IT!
That's right
I'm goin' way down south where the big blue agave grow,
Takin' a weekend trip down to Baja, Mexico!
Where you can drink the water, but don't ya eat the ice,
Take your vitamin "T" with salt 'n lemon slice ...
I say,
One shot...Hey! Mas Tequila-
Two shots...Hey! que veneno-
Three shots...Arriba! Mas Tequila!
Hey! Hey!
She did a mean macarena to the funky cold medina
Behind a body shot and three margaritas.
She'll drink it straight from the bottle, terra cotta jug,
From a boda bag coppin' a major buzz."

Dude, like TOTALLY.
Friggin' embarassing.

Hydrae
02-22-2007, 01:07 PM
I have seen VH with both of these guys and enjoyed them both. However, as much as I detest DLR as a person, he fit VH better.

When I heard Hagar was joining VH, I was thrilled. I love his solo stuff and his work with Montrose and expected huge things from this collaboration. I was so disappointed.

Mile High Mania
02-22-2007, 01:12 PM
So far it is 61% for DLR and 25% for VanHagar.

Question for the VanHagar crowd: were you around/did you listen to VanHalen when Roth was heading up the band?

Great question. Personally, I had all their 'albums' prior to the big breakup... I was so disappointed when Sammy came on board simply b/c I couldn't imagine the spare in the yellow and red jumpsuit singing about speed limits becoming the frontman for my favorite band.

I was wrong for thinking that DLR would go on to reach greater heights than the 'new' VH, but he did all right... just didn't reach the commercial success on his own. That EP with California Girls may have been a bad first move, I dunno.

I understand why people wouldn't like Roth (either during that era or now), but the band was greatness.

Brock
02-22-2007, 01:13 PM
More music with a message from Sam Hagar:

Amsterdam

Looking good through the window
shinin' red and blue light
a little thick in the bottom
but still lookin' alright, yeah
got a pocket fulla money
got me a long night ahead
a quick stop by the bulldog
score me some panama red, yeah
wham, bam, oh Amsterdam
yea, yea, yea
stone you like nothin' else can
yea, yea, yea
hot damn, roll an Amsterdam
yea, yea, yea
if she can't, then nothin' else can
caught a plane outta Moscow
spent one cold night in Berlin
it's a long hard way
but I'm a comin' back again, yea
wham, bam, oh Amsterdam
yea, yea, yea
yea, yea, yea
yea, come on now, roll an
Amsterdam
yea, yea, yea
if she can't, then no one else can
yea, yea, yea.....
wham, bam, oh Amsterdam
yea, yea, yea
yea, yea, yea
hot damn, roll an Amsterdam
yea, yea, yea
if she can't, then no one else can
yea, yea, yea
wham, bam, oh Amsterdam
yea, yea, yea
you don't have to worry about the
man
yea, yea, yea
hot damn, burn an Amsterdam yea
yea, yea, yea
stone me like nothin' else can
yea, yea, yea

Mile High Mania
02-22-2007, 01:17 PM
"yea, yea, yea" I like the diversity

Mile High Mania
02-22-2007, 01:22 PM
Riding the fence on this one.

Van Halen was two different bands when the two guys were on vocals. For what they brought, both were good, and both were considered to be great party rock bands. Definitely more of a produced pop feeling with Hagar, though.

Never saw VH with Dave, only Sammy. Both times they opened with "One Way to Rock", and it sounded great.

Problem #1... Van Halen (any variation) should never OPEN with a non-VH song.

Problem #2... Van Halen should only open to 'Unchained', the problem being that Dave hasn't been able to do the leaping splits from the speakers in 2 decades. :p

Nzoner
02-22-2007, 01:25 PM
I saw DLR with VH open for the original Black Sabbath in '78,as far as frontmen are concerned I'd think alot would agree that Ozzy was right up there.That said Diamond Dave and the boys gave Sabbath a run for their money,just an absolute killer show.

I'll take DLR for Van Halen anyday but I do love Hagar's Montrose and solo work.

ZepSinger
02-22-2007, 01:42 PM
Dave.

Game over.

DJJasonp
02-22-2007, 01:54 PM
Diamond Dave....

I even liked the "Eat 'em and smile" album.

Nobody does it like DLR...

Sully
02-22-2007, 01:58 PM
Gimme a bottle of anything, and a glazed donut.

...To GO!!!

vailpass
02-22-2007, 01:59 PM
I saw DLR with VH open for the original Black Sabbath in '78,

I hate you.

scott free
02-22-2007, 02:31 PM
Well, i'm glad to see that the hammer has fallen firmly in DLR's favor, for me personally its not even up for discussion.

I dont understand the the disdain from some for 1984 & Diver Down...

1984 - Panama, Hot for Teacher, Girl Gone Bad, I'll Wait are all fantastic in my book.

Diver Down - If "The Full Bug" doesnt totally kick your ass & make you wanna get drunk at a cool bar & hit on every hot woman in the place...SEE A DOCTOR, Where Have All the Good Times Gone, Hang'em High, the "Pretty Woman" cover rocks, Cathedral.

2 INCREDIBLE albums.

Brock
02-22-2007, 02:37 PM
Well, i'm glad to see that the hammer has fallen firmly in DLR's favor, for me personally its not even up for discussion.

I dont understand the the disdain from some for 1984 & Diver Down...

1984 - Panama, Hot for Teacher, Girl Gone Bad, I'll Wait are all fantastic in my book.

Diver Down - If "The Full Bug" doesnt totally kick your ass & make you wanna get drunk at a cool bar & hit on every hot woman in the place...SEE A DOCTOR, Where Have All the Good Times Gone, Hang'em High, the "Pretty Woman" cover rocks, Cathedral.

2 INCREDIBLE albums.

Eh, Diver Down was their weakest Dave album by far. Too many cover tunes, including Dancing in the Street (?), and only about 30 minutes long overall. 1984 was one of their strongest ever, though.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-22-2007, 02:43 PM
Has there ever been a band that has changed members... especially the front man... that has been considered by a majority to be better after the change was made? Maybe, but I can't think of one. People get used to a certain sound/style and any change is usually looked upon as a step down.

That said, I never could stand DLR much... and don't care much for Sammy as a solo artist... but I still like VH much better with him than with DLR. The songs on the first album they did were just more my style. "Love Walks In" and "Dreams" especially. I only needed to hear those two to know I liked the new version better.

scott free
02-22-2007, 02:49 PM
Eh, Diver Down was their weakest Dave album by far. Too many cover tunes, including Dancing in the Street (?), and only about 30 minutes long overall. 1984 was one of their strongest ever, though.

To each their own, i love Diver Down & my least favorite VH album is Fair Warning, theres only 2 or 3 songs on there that i really like. I totally agree about 1984, it was a perfect ending for that version of the band.

Mile High Mania
02-22-2007, 03:03 PM
Has there ever been a band that has changed members... especially the front man... that has been considered by a majority to be better after the change was made? Maybe, but I can't think of one. People get used to a certain sound/style and any change is usually looked upon as a step down.

That said, I never could stand DLR much... and don't care much for Sammy as a solo artist... but I still like VH much better with him than with DLR. The songs on the first album they did were just more my style. "Love Walks In" and "Dreams" especially. I only needed to hear those two to know I liked the new version better.

To answer your first question... I'll offer up AC/DC. And, I'm hoping that you're not suggesting the 'majority' thinks VH with Hagar is better than VH with Roth. Just not the case.

Anywho... if you like the Hagar version essentially b/c of those 2 songs then there's a reason, those 2 songs define the two very different styles of the two versions of VH.

Again - the Hagar version was more "made for radio", nothing wrong with it. It just wasn't vintage Van Halen.

Hydrae
02-22-2007, 03:10 PM
You know, this is all moot anyway. If you replace Anthony on bass, it is not the same group. The last itme I saw them, with Hagar, Michael Anthony came out with a bottle of Jack and his Jack bottle shaped bass and just frickin' wailed! I had no idea sounds like that could come out of a bass or that it was even possible to push jams that fast out of one. No way you can replace him or the brothers IMO.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-22-2007, 03:11 PM
To answer your first question... I'll offer up AC/DC. And, I'm hoping that you're not suggesting the 'majority' thinks VH with Hagar is better than VH with Roth. Just not the case.

Anywho... if you like the Hagar version essentially b/c of those 2 songs then there's a reason, those 2 songs define the two very different styles of the two versions of VH.

Again - the Hagar version was more "made for radio", nothing wrong with it. It just wasn't vintage Van Halen.
I was actually suggesting that the majority would like the DLR version better without it being much of a contest... which from these poll results looks to be true... my point being that vintage it seems to me will almost always win out.

There are other VanHagar songs I really like too. Those two just stood out for me right after Sammy joined. "Humans Being" kicks ass for instance.

I liked/like a few of the DLR era songs pretty well... "Jamie's Cryin," "I'll Wait," "Runnin' With the Devil" etc... just prefer the sound and songs in general after Hagar came on board.

Radar Chief
02-22-2007, 03:11 PM
To answer your first question... I'll offer up AC/DC.

Post Bon Scott? You’ve got to be kid’n me. :shake: I liked Johnson fine, but everything after Bon Scott all sounded like a Back in Black remix.

Brock
02-22-2007, 03:17 PM
Post Bon Scott? You’ve got to be kid’n me. :shake: I liked Johnson fine, but everything after Bon Scott all sounded like a Back in Black remix.

True, but Back in Black was what put them on the map.

Pitt Gorilla
02-22-2007, 03:20 PM

Again - the Hagar version was more "made for radio", nothing wrong with it. It just wasn't vintage Van Halen.Good Lord. Johnson > Scott?!?

Radar Chief
02-22-2007, 03:22 PM
True, but Back in Black was what put them on the map.

Yup, and I really dug that one. Still do.

Radar Chief
02-22-2007, 03:24 PM
Good Lord. Johnson > Scott?!?

:LOL: I didn’t think I was the only one. ;)

Mile High Mania
02-22-2007, 04:28 PM
Hey ... I just offered up the AC/DC comment as a discussion point. I didn't pick a side. I honestly didn't listen to them much in the Scott era, so I can't compare the two equally.

Mile High Mania
02-22-2007, 04:30 PM
You know, this is all moot anyway. If you replace Anthony on bass, it is not the same group. The last itme I saw them, with Hagar, Michael Anthony came out with a bottle of Jack and his Jack bottle shaped bass and just frickin' wailed! I had no idea sounds like that could come out of a bass or that it was even possible to push jams that fast out of one. No way you can replace him or the brothers IMO.

Agreed, Anthony was good ... but, I like his vocal harmonies the most on a lot of those songs. I doubt the kid can be as good. I have no doubts that the kid can bring it on bass though.

Nzoner
02-22-2007, 04:53 PM

I don't know either but it'd be interesting to see everyone's take on Peter Gabriel vs. Phil Collins for Genesis.

jAZ
02-22-2007, 06:56 PM
I'd say DLR ala 1980, but going forward, I think he's a complete nutjob/burnout. He can't do it. The band has (and will) melt down any time he's around.

For that reason, I voted SH. He wasn't that far behind DLR.

Nightwish
02-22-2007, 06:58 PM
Solo: Sammy

With Van Halen: Dave, no contest!

*However, "Humans Being," from the Twister soundtrack, is one of the best VH songs ever recorded, and that one's with Sammy.

Over-Head
02-22-2007, 07:01 PM
AC/DC

Braincase
02-22-2007, 07:01 PM
It's all subjective.

Nightwish
02-22-2007, 07:11 PM
Has there ever been a band that has changed members... especially the front man... that has been considered by a majority to be better after the change was made? Maybe, but I can't think of one. People get used to a certain sound/style and any change is usually looked upon as a step down.Iron Maiden. Of course, I'm referring to the change from Paul Di'Anno to Bruce Dickinson, not the change from Bruce Dickinson to Blaze Bailey.

And though I'm pretty sure you can't count us a majority, you can count me among those who thought Black Sabbath sounded better with Dio than with Ozzy.

Nightwish
02-22-2007, 07:14 PM
I think many of us, especially those of us who followed them from the beginning, prefer Bon Scott to Brian Johnson, but it is true that they were a heckuva lot more commercially successful with Johnson, so it's not a stretch to assume that a majority of listeners might have liked them better post-Bon.

scott free
02-22-2007, 07:14 PM
It's all subjective.

NO ITS NOT!!!......DAVE RULES!!!!!!

Jus' keeedin', it really is.

Brock
02-22-2007, 07:16 PM
I'd say DLR ala 1980, but going forward, I think he's a complete nutjob/burnout. He can't do it. The band has (and will) melt down any time he's around.

They did melt down with Sammy Hagar. The band barely made it through a 6 month tour in 2004. The problem in the band should be obvious: Edward Van Halen is an insane person.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-22-2007, 07:19 PM
The problem in the band should be obvious: Edward Van Halen is an insane person.
But he's soooooo cuuuute!
-every girl I've known

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-22-2007, 07:20 PM
AC/DC
meh... same stuff, just more of it.

Extra Point
02-22-2007, 07:27 PM
Valerie Bertinelli-Halen-exHalen. Sneaky-Cute!

Nightwish
02-22-2007, 07:27 PM
They did melt down with Sammy Hagar. The band barely made it through a 6 month tour in 2004. The problem in the band should be obvious: Edward Van Halen is an insane person.
I read somewhere that Eddie's been having a lot of health problems after getting "accidentally" addicted to crystal meth back in '04. I'd bet the newest tour cancellation is probably more about him not being up to snuff, than Dave.

scott free
02-22-2007, 07:32 PM
Edward Van Halen is an insane person.

Yep, its completely unfair to lay it all at Daves feet, Eddie is every bit as egotistical & quirky as Dave is & thats what made VH so dynamic IMO.

Just like every other great rock band, there is more than 1 genius creative talent involved, Page & Plant, Tyler & Perry, Henley & Frey etc. Those kinda guys, by nature, are self-centered, hard to get along with control freaks who dont like other voices watering theirs down.

But the bottom line is that it takes 2 great talents to make a truly great band, Dave & Eddie are that duo for VH.

Sully
02-22-2007, 07:37 PM
Just like every other great rock band, there is more than 1 genius creative talent involved, Page & Plant, Tyler & Perry, Henley & Frey etc. Those kinda guys, by nature, are self-centered, hard to get along with control freaks who dont like other voices watering theirs down.

DOn't forget Bjorn Ulvaeus and Agnetha Faltskog.

scott free
02-22-2007, 07:42 PM
DOn't forget Bjorn Ulvaeus and Agnetha Faltskog.

I have NO idea who that is, but judging by the names, my best guess would be ABBA???

Brock
02-22-2007, 07:44 PM
I read somewhere that Eddie's been having a lot of health problems after getting "accidentally" addicted to crystal meth back in '04. I'd bet the newest tour cancellation is probably more about him not being up to snuff, than Dave.

I wasn't aware that meth cured cancer until I heard it worked for EVH.

The dude is off his rocker.

Sully
02-22-2007, 07:46 PM
I have NO idea who that is, but judging by the names, my best guess would be ABBA???

Well done, sir.

scott free
02-22-2007, 07:48 PM
Well done, sir.

Thanks, i certainly couldnt think of any other "great" group with Scandinavian/Nordic names like that.

Nightwish
02-22-2007, 07:59 PM

Kai Hansen & Michael Weikath. And the day those two decide to create together again, I'll be doing the Snoopy dance!

scott free
02-22-2007, 08:06 PM
Kai Hansen & Michael Weikath. And the day those two decide to create together again, I'll be doing the Snoopy dance!

You got me there... :shrug:

rocks
02-22-2007, 08:18 PM
I liked both bands before Dave left and Hagar joined. Hell I still have a double tape of Standing hampton/Three Lock Box. My Diver Down tape got roasted. VH was different with Hagar but it was still good. IMO And Sammy has had some really good solo stuff since. Peace and let there be ROCK!

Nightwish
02-22-2007, 08:38 PM
You got me there... :shrug:
The original creative team behind Helloween, the German godfathers of power metal (picture a cross between Iron Maiden and Queensryche, but faster on the deep end, and poppier on the shallow end). They've since split up, with Kansen fouding Gamma Ray, and Weikath staying with Helloween. Both bands are still going strong, but I'd love to see them get back together for a Helloween reuinion, especially if Michael Kiske joins in on vocals. It probably won't ever happen, but Helloween fans still pine for it.

Nightwish
02-22-2007, 08:39 PM
Hell I still have a double tape of Standing hampton/Three Lock Box.
Holy sh*t, I've still got that one, too!

ChiefaRoo
02-22-2007, 10:41 PM

Just when I thought you're an ok guy you have to go and say something silly like this. VH,VH is one of the best rock albums of all time.

ChiefaRoo
02-22-2007, 10:43 PM

Now, I know I'm right.

Bill Parcells
02-22-2007, 11:05 PM
With David Lee Roth,as I remember them in my younger days from Fair Warning(one of my fav CD'S?).
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0r0giCsDios"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0r0giCsDios" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

And Mean streets
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/52PW3T1YrF8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/52PW3T1YrF8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

jlscorpio
02-23-2007, 01:33 AM
Aswith everything, it's personal preference. IIRC, the post-DLR Van Halen sound is what forced the break-up in the first place. Eddie wanted a more pop/radio-friendly sound, while DAve wanted to keep it edgy. To me, a good comparison to do is "5150" vs. "Eat 'Em and Smile", ans they came out just few months apart. Personally, I prefer the latter. I've always thought that if Dave could've kept the Vai, Sheehan, Bissonette band together, they coul've given Van Hagar a run for their money.

MichaelH
02-23-2007, 04:43 AM
I voted for DLR. He was awesome in the 70's and early 80's. I also like Sammy but when he joined the band, it sort of went from rock to pop. I don't know if that was all his fault or just the way the music industry was in the last 80's. Now if we're talking solo performances, I'd have to take Sammy over David. I don't like very much of David's solo performances.

Radar Chief
02-23-2007, 06:48 AM
Iron Maiden. Of course, I'm referring to the change from Paul Di'Anno to Bruce Dickinson, not the change from Bruce Dickinson to Blaze Bailey.

Good call, Dickinson was my favorite also. “Run to the hills” remains my favorite Maiden song.

And though I'm pretty sure you can't count us a majority, you can count me among those who thought Black Sabbath sounded better with Dio than with Ozzy.

Man, you’re take’n me back. I liked Sabbath with Dio, and even like a lot of Dio’s solo stuff, but they weren’t the same band as when Ozzy was lead.
Oddly, one of my favorite Sabbath songs was done with one of my least favorite Sabbath leads, Ian Gillian. “Trashed”.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCKvQu9GUno

Damn, that's an old video.

Nzoner
02-23-2007, 06:51 AM

Blasphemy!!

It's all good,you like what you like.

MOhillbilly
02-23-2007, 06:51 AM
DLR-w/out a doubt 1984 was my favorite LP as a kid.

Radar Chief
02-23-2007, 06:52 AM
I think many of us, especially those of us who followed them from the beginning, prefer Bon Scott to Brian Johnson, but it is true that they were a heckuva lot more commercially successful with Johnson, so it's not a stretch to assume that a majority of listeners might have liked them better post-Bon.

Yup, “Back in Black” was there most successful album, IIRC, but IMO everything after that sounded exactly the same. AC/DC is still one of my all time favorite bands, but the majority of my collection is with Bon Scott.

MOhillbilly
02-23-2007, 06:56 AM
Yup, “Back in Black” was there most successful album, IIRC, but IMO everything after that sounded exactly the same. AC/DC is still one of my all time favorite bands, but the majority of my collection is with Bon Scott.

AC/DC lost alot of its SOUL when Scott died. they still rock, but you just dont get that greasy 70s porn star quality rock n roll after scott died.

Nzoner
02-23-2007, 06:58 AM

Ride On is probably the most mellow song Bon and AC/DC ever did but personally it's in my top 5 of all their songs.

chagrin
02-23-2007, 09:12 AM
I don't know either but it'd be interesting to see everyone's take on Peter Gabriel vs. Phil Collins for Genesis.

gay, and more gay

heh, I just don't like either one.

vailpass
02-23-2007, 09:23 AM
I can't believe there are 18 people in this world who prefer New Coke to Coke Classic.

Mile High Mania
02-23-2007, 09:54 AM
Braincase... that's insanity.

DLR had gold and platinum solo releases as well.

http://www.riaa.com/gp/database/search_results.asp

Don't act like DLR did nothing after leaving, he was quite successful as well.

MichaelH
02-23-2007, 10:04 AM
Braincase... that's insanity.

DLR had gold and platinum solo releases as well.

http://www.riaa.com/gp/database/search_results.asp

Don't act like DLR did nothing after leaving, he was quite successful as well.

DLR's albums after leaving Van Halen were nothing like the 6 classic Van Halen albums he was on. Van Halen, Van Halen II, Women and Children First, Fair Warning, Diver Down and 1984 all make albums like Crazy from the Heat and Eat 'Em and Smile sound like bubble gum pop in my opinion.

Kraut
02-23-2007, 11:23 AM
DLR for sure

Braincase
02-23-2007, 11:42 AM
Just when I thought you're an ok guy you have to go and say something silly like this. VH,VH is one of the best rock albums of all time.

I won't disagree with that. One of the best first albums by any band ever, rivaled by only a few (Boston comes to mind).

However, if I were going to sit down and listen to three albums by VH, 3 times out of 5, I might choose 5150, OU812, and For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge over VH I, VH 2, Diver Down and 1984. I also might prefer the others. Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of Fair Warning and Women & Children First, not am I a big fan of Balance or 3. I prefer Sammy, but I didn't go off saying DLR was an untalented fraud. I think they both have their merits, but I have a preference for Sammy, having been a fan of Montrose, HSAS, and I really enjoyed the Standing Hampton and I Never Said Goodbye albums. I don't think it's that big of a deal. I can still go out and see Sammy. He's the one that's out there performing. I don't see jack shit from anybody with the name Van Halen, and the only thing coming out of the DLR camp is prayers to get back together with most of the original lineup now.

Nightwish
02-23-2007, 10:40 PM
Oddly, one of my favorite Sabbath songs was done with one of my least favorite Sabbath leads, Ian Gillian. “Trashed”.
Interestingly, although I didn't like Born Again as much as the Dio albums, it was the only album that produced more than one of my five favorite Black Sabbath songs.

In no particular order:

Trashed
Zero the Hero
The Mob Rules
Heaven and Hell
Black Sabbath

What is it with Sabbath and their tendency to make the title track the best song on the album?

As their singers go, I liked them with Ian Gillian, liked them a lot with Ozzy, and loved them with Dio. Didn't care for any of their stuff with Ray Gillen, Glenn Hughes or Tony Martin, never heard them with David Donato, and they never recorded with Ron Keel (who was a member for only a few days, as I recall), so we'll never know how that would have sounded, though I did used to like the band Keel.

According to wikipedia, they will be reuniting with Dio this summer, touring under the name Heaven and Hell (since the original lineup is still together and will be doing their own tour), with a lineup of Ronnie James Dio, Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler and Vinnie Appice. If it comes nearby, that'll be worth seeing!