PDA

View Full Version : Jay Cutler

SNR
02-22-2007, 05:27 PM
What does everyone think of Jay Cutler? Should we fear him? Is it still way too early to say? Is he just another name in the lone line of post-Elway QBs in Griese, Ferotte, Buerlein, and Plummer?

I'll say this much: he's got a loooong ways to go if he wants to breach that level of mediocrity at the Donko QB position. The performance he gave last season (albeit, as a rookie...) was worse than any season Plummer put up while in Denver. Can he do it? Sure, he can. But I think the Broncos better start seeing some immediate progress in the kid next season or he may never reach the expectations the team has set for him.

Deberg_1990
02-22-2007, 05:29 PM
I thought he showed some definate potential last year. I fear he could be "Sneaky Good"

Extra Point
02-22-2007, 05:30 PM
I thought he showed some definate potential last year. I fear he could be "Sneaky Good"

Agreed. Even though he's a donk, REP.

Easy 6
02-22-2007, 05:54 PM
He's athletic enough & has a bazooka arm, if he has even 1/2 a brain the Shanarat will maximize his potential. Does that mean Fellway good???, highly doubtful but it does mean we had better be ready to defend the deep ball.

Speaking of young potential, i am excited to see how much KING KONG BRODY has grown this pre-season. From the clips i've seen his arm rivals Cutlers. Hey, Montana was a skinny little stick of nothin' too.

Deberg_1990
02-22-2007, 05:55 PM
He's athletic enough & has a bazooka arm, if he has even 1/2 a brain the Shanarat will maximize his potential. Does that mean Fellway good???, highly doubtful but it does mean we had better be ready to defend the deep ball.

Speaking of young potential, i am excited to see how much KING KONG BRODY has grown this pre-season. From the clips i've seen his arm rivals Cutlers. Hey, Montana was a skinny little stick of nothin' too.

That size stuff has been overexaggerated. Someone posted a pic awhile back of him standing next to Trent and they looked exactly the same size.

Easy 6
02-22-2007, 06:10 PM
That size stuff has been overexaggerated. Someone posted a pic awhile back of him standing next to Trent and they looked exactly the same size.

Right, i saw that pic & just figured that the pads bulked him up to look similar. As far as wanting to see how he's grown, i really just meant see how his play has improved.

I'm sure he can get well up from 206 though.

DaWolf
02-22-2007, 06:28 PM
I doubt either he, Rivers or whoever the Raiders draft goes on to become a hall of famer, but one thing is for sure. We need to improve our pass rush big time if we want to make life hard for these guys...

Thig Lyfe
02-22-2007, 08:05 PM
He's going to be better than Plummer. :(

Hound333
02-22-2007, 08:16 PM
I'll give him a few years but he looks like he should be good to me. He won't be Elway good but then not many are.

Valiant
02-22-2007, 08:34 PM
I'll give him a few years but he looks like he should be good to me. He won't be Elway good but then not many are.

I remember some stat that showed Elway didn't get his greatness til a certain RB showed up..

vailpass
02-22-2007, 08:40 PM
Keep on whistling through the graveyard guys, this kid has what it takes to be great.
What you should focus on, IMHO, is whether he has the line, RB, and WRs to max his potential.

PinkFloyd
02-22-2007, 08:43 PM
What you should focus on, IMHO, is whether he has the line, RB, and WRs to max his potential.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo... Your saying if he ever becomes a Chief --- he won't be worth a shit ????

Easy 6
02-22-2007, 08:44 PM
Keep on whistling through the graveyard guys, this kid has what it takes to be great.

I didnt see anyone poo-pooing your boy, just reasoned, wait & see takes. What has he proven other than having solid potential???

I'm sure Shanny will keep a workable O line & RB in front of/behind him.

vailpass
02-22-2007, 09:23 PM
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo... Your saying if he ever becomes a Chief --- he won't be worth a shit ????

KC Line? Check
KC RB? Check.
KC WR? Not so much.

2 out of three aint bad/Meatloaf. LMAO

vailpass
02-22-2007, 09:24 PM
I didnt see anyone poo-pooing your boy, just reasoned, wait & see takes. What has he proven other than having solid potential???

I'm sure Shanny will keep a workable O line & RB in front of/behind him.

Sorry if I came across as adversarial; not my intention. I agree with your assesment: prove it. Potential is nothing more than hope without results.

Easy 6
02-22-2007, 09:32 PM
Sorry if I came across as adversarial; not my intention. I agree with your assesment: prove it. Potential is nothing more than hope without results.

Nah, you didnt come across adversarial at all. What Cutler has proven is that there IS reason for hope. He has the talent, now Shanny has to develop his noggin'.

vailpass
02-22-2007, 09:33 PM
Nah, you didnt come across adversarial at all. What Cutler has proven is that there IS reason for hope. He has the talent, now Shanny has to develop his noggin'.

Is it football season yet?

Easy 6
02-22-2007, 09:50 PM
Is it football season yet?

The draft is coming soon, that oughta get the blood goin' & give us all something to yak about for awhile.

Guru
02-22-2007, 10:05 PM
I am sure TJ will be along shortly to explain this....

redsurfer11
02-22-2007, 10:06 PM
Big strong kid with a powerful arm, Broncos can ride on this kids shoulders for years to come. Am I worried,no. This kid may beat us a few times with his arm, but this is the AFC West. Ask yourself a few questions? What team sacked and intercepted the Great John Elway, the Savior Brian Griese and the scrambler Jake Plummer the most times?

Count Zarth
02-22-2007, 10:06 PM
Actually, Cutler was much better than Plummer last year. No contest. He's going to rape us for years.

Easy 6
02-22-2007, 10:23 PM
Actually, Cutler was much better than Plummer last year. No contest. He's going to rape us for years.

I sincerely HOPE thats just a 'lil bit of the 'ol Garcia Bronco reverse mOjO.

SNR
02-22-2007, 10:23 PM
Actually, Cutler was much better than Plummer last year. No contest. He's going to rape us for years.Disagree. He lost a few games last year that Plummer would have won, namely Seattle. Obviously I don't expect him to continue that trend, but he did not play better than Plummer last season at all.

listopencil
02-22-2007, 11:10 PM
Disagree. He lost a few games last year that Plummer would have won, namely Seattle. Obviously I don't expect him to continue that trend, but he did not play better than Plummer last season at all.

There was a pretty good rift going amongst us Bronco fans at Orange Mane as to whether Cutler or Plummer should start all of last year. I wanted them to leave Plummer in and take a shot at the post season but even I, Plummer homer as I was, could see that Plummer was screwing up a lot. Still-I think Plummer was our best shot at doing anything last season. We had a lot of problems. It's not like we were world beaters being held back by a crappy QB. I saw the switch as throwing in the towel on the season.

With that being said this Cutler kid flashed some great potential. He screwed up a lot too, but it was his first year in the league and one of those games was his first pro start. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. He looks to me like he's going to be very, very good.

Woodrow Call
02-22-2007, 11:32 PM
I think he is going to have a good career. It's a little too early to tell how good though.

The deck is certainly stacked in his favor with Shannahan, a good line, and good weapons around him.

htismaqe
02-23-2007, 05:30 AM
Cutler has all the physical skills. He also had alot of problems in college with making dumb mistakes. Some of it was overconfidence, some of it was being surrounded by inferior talent, and some of it was just that he doesn't play smart at times.

Hound333
02-23-2007, 06:39 AM
I remember some stat that showed Elway didn't get his greatness til a certain RB showed up..

See and I always took it to be that he won in spite of having very little running game. Elway didn't always put up the big numbers. He just always found a way to win (until it was the superbowl that is) It wasn't until he got that running game that he was able to push past that barrier.

King_Chief_Fan
02-23-2007, 06:40 AM
What does everyone think of Jay Cutler? Should we fear him? Is it still way too early to say? Is he just another name in the lone line of post-Elway QBs in Griese, Ferotte, Buerlein, and Plummer?

I'll say this much: he's got a loooong ways to go if he wants to breach that level of mediocrity at the Donko QB position. The performance he gave last season (albeit, as a rookie...) was worse than any season Plummer put up while in Denver. Can he do it? Sure, he can. But I think the Broncos better start seeing some immediate progress in the kid next season or he may never reach the expectations the team has set for him.

Well, compared to Green's performance this year, Cutler looked pretty good for his first year. He will get better. Never be Elway or Marino or Brady or Manning....but I think he is going to be the best QB in the AFCW after 1 more season.

Hound333
02-23-2007, 06:43 AM
Me and my dad have an ongoing argument about Cutty. He (my dad is a bronco fan) thinks Cutler isn't the answer and won't amount to anything. I think Cutler will be a solid QB. I hope he's right :)

Kaylore
02-23-2007, 07:25 AM
Speaking of young potential, i am excited to see how much KING KONG BRODY has grown this pre-season. From the clips i've seen his arm rivals Cutlers.
That's hilarious. You guys are good for a laugh.

jspchief
02-23-2007, 08:10 AM
His play reminds me a lot of Rex Grossman. When he's on his game and connecting on the bombs he looks good.

But when the deep ball isn't open he looks below average and makes dumb mistakes.

King_Chief_Fan
02-23-2007, 08:22 AM

typical response from you.

Care to dispute with facts, stats or details?

trying to be a homer donkey fan on a Chiefs board:shake:

HemiEd
02-23-2007, 08:23 AM

I read a thread on the Mane a while back, about Cutler, that had me laughing so hard I was in tears.
I wish I knew how to find it, many posters would not trade him for any other player in the NFL! ROFL ROFL

Easy 6
02-23-2007, 08:47 AM

Ricardo, i think all of us enjoy slingin' around some good 'ol fashioned BS once in awhile, but do you ever come here to just talk football???

Look up some highlight reels on Brody from youtube, he can bomb it downfield with a flick of the wrist & with accuracy. Dont take my word for it, go see for yourself.

Mile High Mania
02-23-2007, 10:00 AM
Who knows at this point, but he showed great potential after being thrown to the fire. I like the chemistry with him, Scheffler, Marshall and Mike Bell. If Cutler can get in a groove with Walker - look out.

Bowser
02-23-2007, 10:11 AM

TRANSLATED -

Cutler was taken in the first round, Croyle was taken in the third round. Cutler is better because he was a first round pick, stoopid!

Bowser
02-23-2007, 10:12 AM
Who knows at this point, but he showed great potential after being thrown to the fire. I like the chemistry with him, Scheffler, Marshall and Mike Bell. If Cutler can get in a groove with Walker - look out.

Cutler to Scheffler is going to be a good combo. Hate saying it, but there's no denying it.

Kaylore
02-24-2007, 01:51 AM
typical response from you.

Care to dispute with facts, stats or details?

trying to be a homer donkey fan on a Chiefs board:shake:
<embed width="430" height="389" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://s28.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/REB65/CutlertoWalkerBomb.flv"></embed>

Croyle can't do that.

Valiant
02-24-2007, 02:07 AM
<embed width="430" height="389" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://s28.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/REB65/CutlertoWalkerBomb.flv"></embed>

Croyle can't do that.

I think Cutler will be average maybe a little better then average, but I am sorry the Cards make everybody look great.. We will find out how Cutler does this year, with teams having a playbook on him now and able to gameplan better...

CupidStunt
02-24-2007, 02:10 AM
Denver's line is easily better than the Chiefs.

As for Cutler, he's going to be a great QB.

CupidStunt
02-24-2007, 02:11 AM

Croyle can't do that.

Actually he can. It's a lot of the other throws he can't make.

Taco John
02-24-2007, 02:28 AM
The performance he gave last season (albeit, as a rookie...) was worse than any season Plummer put up while in Denver.

Huh? What are you talking about? He outperformed Plummer by a long shot.

Taco John
02-24-2007, 02:33 AM
Disagree. He lost a few games last year that Plummer would have won, namely Seattle. Obviously I don't expect him to continue that trend, but he did not play better than Plummer last season at all.

Gah! The Seattle game was Cutlers first game as a pro. He also won a game that Plummer would have gotten blown out in, namely Cincinnati.

You don't know what you are talking about. Cutler outperformed Plummer in every way you can outperform a guy. It was like a night and day difference. Our offense actually showed swagger behind Cutler-- something we saw precious little of with Plummer.

I suspect you saw the Seattle game, and came to a conclusion without bothering to see any other games. Your take is WAY off the mark. It's not even really arguable. The difference was night and day.

SPchief
02-24-2007, 02:50 AM
Gah! The Seattle game was Cutlers first game as a pro. He also won a game that Plummer would have gotten blown out in, namely Cincinnati.

You don't know what you are talking about. Cutler outperformed Plummer in every way you can outperform a guy. It was like a night and day difference. Our offense actually showed swagger behind Cutler-- something we saw precious little of with Plummer.

I suspect you saw the Seattle game, and came to a conclusion without bothering to see any other games. Your take is WAY off the mark. It's not even really arguable. The difference was night and day.

He was so good, he took his team out of the playoffs.

Taco John
02-24-2007, 03:09 AM
He was so good, he took his team out of the playoffs.

No he didn't.

Kaylore
02-24-2007, 05:42 AM
Actually he can. It's a lot of the other throws he can't make.
I don't think you understand how far he threw the ball. It went 70 yards and hit Javon right in the hands over two defenders. There are only three or four QB's in the NFL that have that kind of arm strength and half of them don't have the accuracy to drop it in over two defenders. No, Croyle isn't one of them.

CupidStunt
02-24-2007, 07:31 AM
I don't think you've ever watched Brodie Croyle play a down of football.

MOhillbilly
02-24-2007, 08:03 AM
i hope oakland gets a star QB croyle and cutler pan out and the west battles it out for the next ten years.

boogblaster
02-24-2007, 08:20 AM
Cutler has a cannon .. when he settles down and becomes a QB he could be dangerous.. could & becomes are the question ....

Kaylore
02-24-2007, 08:27 AM
I don't think you've ever watched Brodie Croyle play a down of football.
Wrongo.

One of my friends is big, whiny Crimson Tide fan. So I got a pretty good low down on Croyle. He is what he is: a Fiery QB with some talent that isn't built very big who has never developed fully because his reps were cut pretty short because of multiple injuries to his bad knees. He has got some bite and is a decent passer, but he's pretty raw and has injury issues.

My comments were only about Cutler's arm strength anyway, and Croyle does not have Cutler's arm strength. That's a fact. Did I say his arm sucked or was weak? No. I just said that Cutler's arm strength is far superiors to most of the QB's in the league including Croyle's. That's the truth and you'll have to deal with it.

CupidStunt
02-24-2007, 08:30 AM
My comments were only about Cutler's arm strength anyway, and Croyle does not have Cutler's arm strength. .

Never said he did.

But he can -- and has -- made that throw. A lot of QBs have. Get over it.

alanm
02-24-2007, 08:31 AM
What you should focus on, IMHO, is whether he has the line, RB, and WRs to max his potential.We'll find out in the coming seasons whether or not Cutler has "It". That is, the ability to will his team to victory by himself if need be. I'm not convinced yet that he's anything more than a physically talented QB. And those guys are in the draft every year. :shrug:

Kaylore
02-24-2007, 08:32 AM
Never said he did.

But he can -- and has -- made that throw. A lot of QBs have. Get over it.
No he hasn't.

alanm
02-24-2007, 08:43 AM
Wrongo.

One of my friends is big, whiny Crimson Tide fan. So I got a pretty good low down on Croyle. He is what he is: a Fiery QB with some talent that isn't built very big who has never developed fully because his reps were cut pretty short because of multiple injuries to his bad knees. He has got some bite and is a decent passer, but he's pretty raw and has injury issues.

My comments were only about Cutler's arm strength anyway, and Croyle does not have Cutler's arm strength. That's a fact. Did I say his arm sucked or was weak? No. I just said that Cutler's arm strength is far superiors to most of the QB's in the league including Croyle's. That's the truth and you'll have to deal with it.
Sounds like a copy of Trent Green's bio prior to the Chiefs. :)

SNR
02-24-2007, 10:17 AM

I suspect you saw the Seattle game, and came to a conclusion without bothering to see any other games. Your take is WAY off the mark. It's not even really arguable. The difference was night and day.Ah, okay. I just remember you guys going on an ass-long losing streak towards the end of the season, but I didn't realize that Plummer was at the helm for two of those games. My bad.

This is kind of surprising coming from you though. Can we finally say we were right about Green vs. Plummer now? :)

SNR
02-24-2007, 10:20 AM
No he hasn't.Considering even Ryan Leaf has made excellent throws in his career, there's no reason not to say that Brodie won't do the same. If he did it in college and given that he starts a few games in a row like Cutler did, he can do it in the NFL.

We play the Cardinals again in 4 seasons. That should be plenty of time.

greg63
02-24-2007, 10:23 AM

Speaking as a Chiefs fan just let me say that I certainly hope not.

jspchief
02-24-2007, 11:38 AM
Croyle can't do that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gba1XZb5bo

Seriously, STFU. You are talking out of your ass. That's 55 yards in the air compared to Cutler's 65. Assuming that Croyle will never throw the ball an inch further than what he did right there, I'm still certain that arm strength will not be a problem.

Joe Montana couldn't do that. Being able to throw a bomb doesn't make a great NFL QB. This is football, not 500.

Kaylore
02-24-2007, 04:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gba1XZb5bo

Seriously, STFU. You are talking out of your ass. That's 55 yards in the air compared to Cutler's 65. Assuming that Croyle will never throw the ball an inch further than what he did right there, I'm still certain that arm strength will not be a problem.

Joe Montana couldn't do that. Being able to throw a bomb doesn't make a great NFL QB. This is football, not 500.
Actually that's 50 compared to Cutler's 70. Nice try though.

BigVE
02-24-2007, 05:20 PM
Cutler looks like he has really been working out...check it out.

Valiant
02-24-2007, 05:31 PM

It would be 64 yards technically, great throw and a lucky throw.. Sorry but a lucky once every season throw does not make you a HOF QB like you all are making him out to be..

For ****s sake you retards at the mange were pimping Plummer as a superstar until this past year...

Cutler has a CHANCE to be great just like any other QB.. But quit trying to convince the whole ****ing world that he is finally your heir to Elway.. You guys have claimed that what 3 times now??? Idiot homers...

Kaylore
02-24-2007, 05:49 PM
It would be 64 yards technically, great throw and a lucky throw.. Sorry but a lucky once every season throw does not make you a HOF QB like you all are making him out to be..

For ****s sake you retards at the mange were pimping Plummer as a superstar until this past year...

Cutler has a CHANCE to be great just like any other QB.. But quit trying to convince the whole ****ing world that he is finally your heir to Elway.. You guys have claimed that what 3 times now??? Idiot homers...
My you're pretty upset about this. I can understand why you'd be frightened.

For the record I hated Griese and thought Plummer played great for us (and he did), but never put him in that "elite" category. He was always in that second tier of QB's. Cutler is going to be awesome.

SNR
02-24-2007, 06:02 PM
My you're pretty upset about this. I can understand why you'd be frightened.

For the record I hated Griese and thought Plummer played great for us (and he did), but never put him in that "elite" category. He was always in that second tier of QB's. Cutler is going to be awesome.I think he'll be great as well, but saying Cutler is great because he can throw it 64 yards isn't a good reason at all.

We'll see how things go this season and if Shanahan has taught the kid to make good decisions as a QB, something Jake never learned to do.

Taco John
02-24-2007, 06:18 PM

I said Plummer was Green's equal, and you guys took that to mean that he was some sort of superstar. ROFL

Valiant
02-24-2007, 06:39 PM
I said Plummer was Green's equal, and you guys took that to mean that he was some sort of superstar. ROFL

Oh please, you all were all over his knob before last season... How many of you fools said you would not have traded Plummer for any other QB on your board??? Now that you look like idiots you are backtracking like normal.. You have no spine when it comes to defending your past statements or admit when you are wrong for ass-hatry..

Now you idiots are trying to prove to yourselves and others that Cutler is going to be great, off of one really good throw against the Cardinals...You know Cutler, the guy no one had any game plan against..Cutler MIGHT be great later, key word is MIGHT so keep hoping..

Kind of like you pimped Plummers ability even though your defense won most of the games... You guys are a joke when it comes to talking about football because you won't take off the homer glasses...

listopencil
02-24-2007, 08:14 PM
ass-hatry..

That should be "ass hattery". Like "dumbassery".

Thig Lyfe
02-24-2007, 08:21 PM
That should be "ass hattery". Like "dumbassery".

No, he meant ass-hatry. An ass-hatry is where ass hats are made.

Ebolapox
02-24-2007, 08:47 PM

not that it really matters, (and why the hell are we arguing over how long a ball was in the air??), but croyle's throw left his hand when he was on the five yard line... it traveled in the air until the opponent's 42 yard line... thus, 53 yards (and I'm pretty sure he can throw it longer too--he won the passing length 'competition' of elite prospects when he came one)

cutler's throw was from the 36 yard line and went one yard into the end zone... which is 65 yards

fair's fair... both have strong arms... however, experts say that the route that best tests a QB's arm strength (and pretty much the only one that really matters) is the 20 yard out route... and I've seen croyle complete that one enough in college and once or twice in pre season to have confidence that he has all the arm strength he'll ever need... after all, you can toot cutler's horn all you want--he doesn't have the arm strength jeff george had (who, FROM HIS KNEES, threw an 80 yarder--from the twenty to the goal line... once again... FROM HIS KNEES), and we all know how jeff george's career went...

after all, it doesn't matter how much raw talent a guy has--with a QB, it's as much his brains and instincts as anything else, which cutler has had issues on in his past

Kaylore
02-24-2007, 10:10 PM
I think he'll be great as well, but saying Cutler is great because he can throw it 64 yards isn't a good reason at all.
Who said that? All I said was that Croyle can't make that throw along with most of the QB's in the NFL and that's a stone cold fact. You know, you guys like try and put words in people's mouths around here.

SNR
02-24-2007, 10:30 PM
Who said that? All I said was that Croyle can't make that throw along with most of the QB's in the NFL and that's a stone cold fact. You know, you guys like try and put words in people's mouths around here.If you don't want us to focus on the arm strength point you made up, you could bring other pieces of evidence to the table about why you think Cutler was good last season and why he'll be great for years to come. You know, present multiple premises for your case, instead of just saying one and point fingers at your opponent when they debate that one single premise you put up. It just boils down to the basics of argument, which is something you Donk fans apparently have never mastered.

So let's try this again. Why do you think Cutler will be a great (not good) QB?

Count Zarth
02-24-2007, 11:17 PM
Alex Smith > Jay George

Easy 6
02-25-2007, 06:18 PM
WOW!!!

I'm so glad i took the time to come back to this thread after my hiatus..."Shoot, my man Jay Fellway could throw it plum over them yonder mountains" , "Why he could be a Special Forces sniper with his accuracy & CANNON ARMED DERRING DO!!!"... ROFL ROFL ROFL

scorpio
02-25-2007, 07:00 PM