PDA

View Full Version : That Burger King "Stackers" commercial

Rain Man
02-23-2007, 06:29 PM
I pay no attention to the commercial because I can't understand them. I have no idea what's going on, and I really don't care. By the time I know what's going on, the midget is already dead.

But it does bring up several questions in my mind. Somebody had an idea to do this commercial, and they thought it would be great to have midgets in the cast. They ran the idea by Burger King, who said, "Great! Midgets! We love it!", and then some casting person called the various agents for these midgets and negotiated the deal, or they put out a casting call for "actors under 4 feet tall" or something like that.

My questions are:

1. If they put out a casting call, do they put a lot of other criteria in besides height? Are they asking for "classically handsome" or "nice hair" or anything, or is the height requirement so restrictive that they just say, "Show up if you're under four feet tall" and go from there?

2. If they put out a casting call, who's the tallest person to show up? Do they occasionally get six-foot actors who hope that they'll give a compelling enough performance to win the role?

3. If they're calling agents, did the casting person tell the agents, "We want to hire some midgets. Can you send me all you've got for tryouts"? Or did they ask for specific people?

4. And if they ask for specific people, did the agents call up the actors and say, "Burger King wants you to try out for the role of a midget construction worker", or do they say, "Burger King wants you to try out for the role of a construction worker" and the midget part is implied? In other words, is the midget actor going to the commercial assuming that he's trying out for a part that has no height requirements?

5. If the midget part is implied, is the actor disappointed or disgusted to show up and find an all-midget cast, or do they think "Sweet! Jobs for everyone!"?

6. If there's a casting call that doesn't call out height, are the midget actors showing up hoping to give a compelling enough performance to win roles that aren't planned for midget actors, or do they not even bother?

7. Are there any midget actors who have never played one of Santa's elves?

8. What proportion of a typical midget actor's income is derived from Santa-based plot lines?

I apologize if 'midget' is an incorrect term.

Smed1065
02-23-2007, 08:07 PM
Definition of Midget

Midget: A very small person (or thing). Midget is a picturesque but somewhat disparaging term. It is the diminutive of midge (the insect), and who wants to be a mini-midge? A more correct term today for a very small person is dwarf or little person.

The notion that a midget is (as some dictionaries state) a "normal dwarf, a person who is unusually short...but is not deformed" is incorrect.

http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=22596

I do not understand those commercials as well.

Bob Dole
02-23-2007, 08:09 PM
One of the advertising guys should be along to illuminate us all any moment.

88TG88
02-23-2007, 08:27 PM
They prefer to be called little people.

SLAG
02-23-2007, 08:38 PM
They are not Midgets as the Burgers are just so huge that they make 6'4 men look under 4 feet tall

Smed1065
02-23-2007, 08:40 PM
I guess I forgot to smoke before before watching.

Or I smoked too much in college?

jidar
02-23-2007, 09:01 PM
All I know is at least they aren't nasty like Hardees commercials, and for that I am thankful.