PDA

View Full Version : The Offensive Line

Direckshun
02-23-2007, 09:25 PM
It's Friday night, my soccer game's behind me, and I'm watching TV. Let's talk a little football.

I've been reading Gretz's articles about offensive tackles this week. If the predicted positions are up for grabs this year (LT, RT, RG), I think we're totally boned at LT. I think it forces our hand and we'll have to take the best available LT in the draft with our first pick.

I've been thinking "receiver, receiver, receiver" for our first pick since the season ended, especially since it's such a deep field this year. But we're going to need Trent to be Old Trent for 16 games this year, and it's simply not possible unless we give him something to stand behind.

RG should be fine. John Welbourne's a natural, and Jordan Black has had enough experience now that he would be a solid backup there. RT should be fine, as I thought Chris Terry was an excellent pickup. He had a good record at Carolina and a damn good one at Seattle, so I think he's our answer there. Sampson played admirably at RT when the OL was actually given time to gel (that is until he got injured), so he's a good backup there.

So while we may not have the ideal OL, we have a solid one with a lot of potential, and god forbid it might actually be fairly deep.

But that LT position. Only one guy's on the market right now that's worth anything, and Mr. Leonard Davis is looking for $10+ mil. Screw that. We absolutely have to draft one with our first pick.

I'm thinking it'll be Ugoh, who looks like he has a huge upside.

But the free agent market is so thin this year at just about every position, I don't think free agency is going to solve many of our weaker position problems this year.

Bob Dole
02-23-2007, 09:27 PM
We've typically been able to draft quality offensive linemen, so Bob Dole doesn't have any problem at all snatching a LT early in the draft.

nychief
02-23-2007, 09:29 PM
I think we are going to go LT either rnd 1 or 2. I would hate to reach to much just to grab a tackle in the first. Hell, I'd take a flyer on Petigout for the right price - let a kid sit for the year.

el borracho
02-23-2007, 09:37 PM
We need a C, as well. Wiegman was not cutting it last year and we are going to a simpler offense which probably means less chance of disguising Casey's lack of size.

Direckshun
02-23-2007, 09:43 PM
That's true, I just think it's unrealistic at this point.

Weigmann is good and serviceable, and in many formations he's great. Hell, he was Pro Bowl caliber center under Vermeil's more creative offense that asked him to pull. And Herm's offense still does that from time to time.

But yeah, we could use a little more size there. But since he's surrounded by All Pros (and going to Welbourne next year at RG won't be too much of a drop), I think we can hang with Weigmann for another year or so.

Especially since he's always a guaranteed starter for 16 games. Only one other OL starter was good for 16 games last year, and I don't even know if Will Shields qualifies as human.

Smed1065
02-23-2007, 09:44 PM
I think we are going to go LT either rnd 1 or 2. I would hate to reach to much just to grab a tackle in the first. Hell, I'd take a flyer on Petigout for the right price

With the situation this year I could see this, IIRC next year looks good for a LT as well.

Direckshun
02-23-2007, 09:45 PM
What does IIRC mean.

JBucc
02-23-2007, 09:55 PM
What does IIRC mean.IIRC it means If I Remember Correctly. Or maybe it's Recall Correctly. One of those. Oh and Ugoh might be available with our 2nd round pick.

milkman
02-23-2007, 09:57 PM
Reaching to fill a specific hole is rarely a good idea.

Reaching when you have as many holes as the Chiefs do to fill one specific hole is not only a bad idea, it's moronic.

This team isn't going anywhere next season.

Build this team with the best available player, period.

Direckshun
02-23-2007, 10:02 PM
IIRC it means If I Remember Correctly. Or maybe it's Recall Correctly. One of those. Oh and Ugoh might be available with our 2nd round pick.
First of all, rep for the help.

Secondly, who else do you like for LT? Thomas and Brown won't be available, and Doug Free and Joe Staley come from small schools -- I don't trust that for first round picks.

Arron Spears looks good from Tennessee. Ugoh of course. Who else? Notre Dame LTs are always promising prospects, but the Ryan Harris kid seems just a bit undersized. I don't even think he's 300 lbs.

Direckshun
02-23-2007, 10:04 PM
Reaching to fill a specific hole is rarely a good idea.

Reaching when you have as many holes as the Chiefs do to fill one specific hole is not only a bad idea, it's moronic.

This team isn't going anywhere next season.

Build this team with the best available player, period.
Just need a passing game.

If we can get a somewhat threatening passing game going, Larry's capable of going 2000 yards, and bam, we've got a top 10 offense again.

If we can't do that, it's going to be LT that's burying us.

milkman
02-23-2007, 10:07 PM
Just need a passing game.

If we can get a somewhat threatening passing game going, Larry's capable of going 2000 yards, and bam, we've got a top 10 offense again.

If we can't do that, it's going to be LT that's burying us.

Aside from LT, this team needs WRs, DTs, and LBs, and the need for CBs is only a season or two away, at best.

A team with all these holes won't make any noise in the playoffs.

Direckshun
02-23-2007, 10:15 PM
Aside from LT, this team needs WRs, DTs, and LBs, and the need for CBs is only a season or two away, at best.

A team with all these holes won't make any noise in the playoffs.
Yeah that's fair.

Our offense operated brilliantly when we had a dominant rushing attack and Old Trent. We have the RB for it, we just need to get Old Trent some protection.

If we plug in a solid rookie LT, Welbourne and Terry, our OL will be ready for another few years while the rest of the team catches up.

milkman
02-23-2007, 10:17 PM
First of all, rep for the help.

Secondly, who else do you like for LT? Thomas and Brown won't be available, and Doug Free and Joe Staley come from small schools -- I don't trust that for first round picks.

Arron Spears looks good from Tennessee. Ugoh of course. Who else? Notre Dame LTs are always promising prospects, but the Ryan Harris kid seems just a bit undersized. I don't even think he's 300 lbs.

The bigger question for Harris is how is his footwork, and does he use his hands well?

Size is really secondary.

He can add weight.

Tribal Warfare
02-24-2007, 12:26 AM
I'm thinking it'll be Ugoh, who looks like he has a huge upside.

But the free agent market is so thin this year at just about every position, I don't think free agency is going to solve many of our weaker position problems this year.

always BPA nomatter what, and never reach. Ugoh is a second or third round pick

ChiefsCountry
02-24-2007, 12:58 AM
I say sign Petigout, I normally dont like older veteran signings but we need an upgrade over Black or LJ, Croyle, Green, Bennett, whoever is going to get killed. I dont think Brown or Thomas will be available in the first go BPA, second we might have a nice shot at good offensive lineman but if he isnt BPA dont take him.

Thig Lyfe
02-24-2007, 01:16 AM
We already have the Arma Secreta, RAMIRO PRUNEDA, so I'm not worried.

Tribal Warfare
02-24-2007, 01:49 AM
I say sign Petigout, I normally dont like older veteran signings but we need an upgrade over Black or LJ, Croyle, Green, Bennett, whoever is going to get killed. I dont think Brown or Thomas will be available in the first go BPA, second we might have a nice shot at good offensive lineman but if he isnt BPA dont take him.

I concur "needs" should aways plan of action so KC won't have to reach in the early rounds of the draft