View Full Version : Well A New Lead In the Darrent Williams Case has Died...Literally

02-24-2007, 04:55 PM

Standoff ends, body found
By Bruce Finley and Kirk Mitchell
Denver Post Staff Writers
Article Last Updated: 02/24/2007 12:16:54 AM MST

After an all-day standoff, Denver police barged into a high-profile attorney's Cherry Creek townhouse Friday evening and found a man dead in the basement.

Crime scene investigators worked into the night gathering evidence at the brick-and-stucco home owned by Michael Andre, who represents a man police questioned in the shooting death of Denver Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams.

"These are very volatile situations. We had developed information that led us to believe the individual inside was suicidal. And we wanted to provide every opportunity for him to come out on his own," Denver Police Det. John White said.

As of Friday night, police had still not confirmed the man's name or cause of death.

During the day, some neighbors of the house at 258 S. Monroe St. were evacuated, while police ordered others to stay in their homes as scores of SWAT officers, detectives, paramedics and crisis negotiators set up a two-block perimeter.

A woman identified by friends and neighbors as a maid apparently had entered the townhome around 9 a.m. A man in the home confronted her with a gun. She managed to back out of the home and notify police, White said.

Police said they made contact and tried to negotiate with the man through the day. "We were able to talk with him until 3 o'clock," White said.

Two women and a child lived in the home but were gone during the standoff.

Shortly after 4 p.m., police set off tear gas at the back entrance. They barged into the home.

No Denver police shots were fired, White said. "I am unaware of any other shots fired."

During the standoff, friends of Andre, including several men he had represented, gathered outside the police perimeter.

Michael McGinley, 46, said Andre faced stress at work, and others said he was wrestling with family problems as well.

"This is un-necessary. If they could just allow me to go in, I could bring him out," Andre Walker, 32, said at a police barricade.

Three hours later, Walker stood in a the dark street distraught as television news trucks pulled away.

Police "should have gone in earlier," he said. "They had that infra-red sensor. They should have known he wasn't moving."

Andre represents Willie Clark, a man police have have called a "person of interest" in the unsolved New Year's Day fatal shooting of Williams.

"It's a shame what is going on," said David Price, who became a close friend of Andre's after the attorney represented him in a criminal case. "He's a great guy. It is a shock."

Staff writer Kirk Mitchell can be reached at 303-954-1206 or kmitchell@denverpost.com.

02-24-2007, 05:25 PM
Surprise. Gangsta' Rappers knockin each other off.

02-24-2007, 05:31 PM
I wondered what was going on in the DW case. Are they any closer to finding out who did it?

Seems like if they don't have a lead by now, they might now ever find whoever it was. Sad.