PDA

View Full Version : Jared Allen wants to be traded

BigRock
02-25-2007, 02:27 AM
The jist is that they haven't worked out a contract. Carl says the team will tender him, meaning we can get a 1st and 3rd if someone else signs him.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/16777878.htm

Allen wants trade from Chiefs
Contract conflict leads to request
By ELIZABETH MERRILL and RANDY COVITZ
The Kansas City Star

“It doesn’t look like my future is going to be (in Kansas City). … I wanted to finish my career there.”
| Chiefs end Jared Allen

Less than two months ago, Jared Allen was poised to buy a ranch in Liberty, become the face of the Chiefs’ defense, and settle into a town he’s embraced as his own.

Now Allen wants out of Kansas City.

Allen told The Star on Saturday that he formally requested a trade when a meeting between his agent and members of the Chiefs’ front office produced no contract proposal. The Chiefs denied Allen’s request, and president/general manager Carl Peterson said the club plans to tender Allen on March 1, the deadline for teams to submit qualifying offers to restricted free agents.

Allen led the NFL with six fumble recoveries in 2006 and has produced 27 1/2 sacks in his first three years with the Chiefs. But after more than a year of conversations and weeks of numbers being bandied about, Allen’s agent, Ken Harris, said the sides were still “far apart” from a long-term deal.

Allen’s three-year contract expires this week.

Harris said the club plans to high tender Allen, which means that if another team signed him to an offer sheet, the Chiefs could match it or receive a first- and third-round draft pick.

Allen, who would earn $2.35 million as a high tender in 2007, said he isn’t optimistic about future negotiations with the Chiefs.

“For me, personally, it’s beyond that point,” Allen said.

“I feel shocked and hurt. Requesting a trade was probably the toughest thing I’ve had to do. It’s nothing personal against the town of Kansas City and the fans. It’s been great. (But) it doesn’t look like my future is going to be there, and I have to accept that. That’s why this is so hard. All the hard work I’ve put in, the blood, sweat and tears … I wanted to finish my career there. I was led to believe I was going to.”

Hours after the meeting took place in Indianapolis, Peterson said he still wants Allen on the team and that they’ve been discussing a long-term contract, but “he wants too much money,” Peterson said.

Allen was one of the biggest surprises of the 2004 draft, far exceeding the expectations of a fourth-round pick from Idaho State. He cracked the starting lineup as a rookie at defensive end, led the team with nine sacks, and quickly became a fan favorite.

He improved his all-round game in 2006, with 64 solo tackles, 7 1/2 sacks and three forced fumbles. He earned a base salary of just $425,000, and Allen said he was led to believe he would be rewarded with a long-term deal.

“My teammates are awesome, and my coaches are awesome,” Allen said. “But it’s just not an environment that I want to be in right now. I feel like I’ve been misrepresented by the powers-that-be that certain things were going to happen.”

One factor in the contract process, Peterson said, is the fact that Allen just served a jail sentence for his second DUI arrest. But Peterson wants him on the team, and that’s why he won’t trade him.

“There’s always a risk,” he said. “And we haven’t found out yet from the National Football League how much of a suspension they’re going to give him (in 2007).

“He’s a very good football player. But he’s also a young man at risk, and we know that, and so does the National Football League. We’re trying to work out something that makes sense, and hopefully that will be done.”

Harris declined to comment on specifics of the negotiations. At the end of Saturday’s meeting, Harris asked one last time whether there was a proposal the Chiefs wanted to put on the table.

“The reply was no,” Harris said. “And we all shook hands, and I left.”

Chiefs coach Herm Edwards said he was confident the sides would strike a fair deal. He said he wanted Allen on the team. “The first offer is not always the last offer,” Edwards said. “It’s a process. When you want to get things done, sometimes you get a little frustrated, and that’s why players hire agents and why there are negotiations."

acesn8s
02-25-2007, 02:30 AM
The police won't leave him alone after a drinking bienge here in KC so he wants to go to another city to see if they are better?:shrug:

luv
02-25-2007, 02:31 AM
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

unothadeal
02-25-2007, 02:31 AM
You're ****ing me.

unothadeal
02-25-2007, 02:34 AM
Carl is one cheap mother f'er

OldTownChief
Will arrowheadlouder relocate also?

SPchief
Freakzilla at her finest.

Allen WILL be a Chief next year

acesn8s
02-25-2007, 02:35 AM
Freakzilla at her finest.

Allen WILL be a Chief next yearAt least for part of it.

Frazod
02-25-2007, 02:35 AM
And Carl strikes yet again. 4321

unothadeal
02-25-2007, 02:36 AM
He probably just wants a shot at the Hall Of Fame

Chiefs=Good
02-25-2007, 02:42 AM
OH **** NO!!!!!!!!! CARL IF U **** THIS ONE UP......... I SWEAR IVE :cuss: :cuss: HAD ENOUGH!!!!!!!! :mad:

Buck
02-25-2007, 02:43 AM
I smell a new Donkey

SNR
02-25-2007, 02:44 AM
Why is Carl the bad guy here?

Allen is being a greedy drunk dumbass by seriously thinking he's worth top dollar on the Chiefs defense after his questionable off the field actions. I completely agree with the Whitlock article. Carl has nothing but tough decisions ahead. A tag is the right thing to do... at least we get compensation and that alone will probably scare most teams away.

Chiefs Pantalones
02-25-2007, 02:46 AM
Allen can be replaced, so I don't mind Carl hard-balling him right now. Just wait and see.

SPchief
02-25-2007, 02:46 AM

Allen is being a greedy drunk dumbass by seriously thinking he's worth top dollar on the Chiefs defense after his questionable off the field actions. I completely agree with the Whitlock article. Carl has nothing but tough decisions ahead. A tag is the right thing to do... at least we get compensation and that alone will probably scare most teams away.

Thank you. Nobody will pay the price of 2 picks for him. While he is great, for other teams the picks won't be worth it.

BigRock
02-25-2007, 02:48 AM

I agree totally.

Jared ought to man-up and realize that even though he refused to blow into that breathalyzer, he was still blowing away his big contract. At least for a year, anyway. They can revist it again in '08, unless someone actually gives up a 1st and a 3rd for him. I love Jared Allen as much as anyone, but a 1st and a 3rd would be huge.

Chiefs Pantalones
02-25-2007, 02:49 AM

I agree. And if not, we get a 1st and 3rd rounder for him. Win-win situation.

Chiefs Pantalones
02-25-2007, 02:50 AM
Thank you. Nobody will pay the price of 2 picks for him. While he is great, for other teams the picks won't be worth it.

I wouldn't classify him as great yet. There are DEs out there I'd rather have.

SNR
02-25-2007, 02:51 AM
Thank you. Nobody will pay the price of 2 picks for him. While he is great, for other teams the picks won't be worth it.Hell, at this point I'll gladly give Allen away for a 1st and a 3rd rounder. Imagine getting Okoye AND Levi Brown in the 1st round. Use the extra 3rd and a DE to replace Allen and we've got a good situation going in KC.

CoMoChief
02-25-2007, 02:52 AM
If Allen leaves I'm finding a new team to root for. This is just absolute ****in bullshit. I'm tired of all of Carl's bullshit when it comes to personell and the lack of ability to lead this franchise to a SuperBowl. Carl is the reason why we havent done shit in the postseason since 1994. If he signs with another team then that's it I'm done. It's just that ****ing simple.

Chiefs Pantalones
02-25-2007, 02:53 AM
Honestly, I'd rather have another 1st and 3rd round pick, but that's just me. Not even Carl could **** that up.

SPchief
02-25-2007, 02:57 AM
Hell, at this point I'll gladly give Allen away for a 1st and a 3rd rounder. Imagine getting Okoye AND Levi Brown in the 1st round. Use the extra 3rd and a DE to replace Allen and we've got a good situation going in KC.

It would be great!! If Carl knew how to draft.

BTW Okoye won't make it pass 17

SNR
If Allen leaves I'm finding a new team to root for. This is just absolute ****in bullshit. I'm tired of all of Carl's bullshit when it comes to personell and the lack of ability to lead this franchise to a SuperBowl. Carl is the reason why we havent done shit in the postseason since 1994. If he signs with another team then that's it I'm done. It's just that ****ing simple.Woah there drama queen. After years of draft busts, playoff losses, and crappy defense, you're going to let Jared Allen get to you if he leaves?

He's tendered. Nobody can have him unless they're willing to cough up Jared's asking price and a couple of draft picks. Would you honestly say he's worth that?

My point is this is a great situation. Jared is going to be a Chief or the Chiefs will be in great shape come draft day. Losing Allen isn't going to cripple this team at all.

Buck
Is it possible that Jared Allen was only good because of your secondary?

SPchief
02-25-2007, 02:58 AM
Honestly, I'd rather have another 1st and 3rd round pick, but that's just me. Not even Carl could **** that up.

I'm not a Carl apologist, and he could definatley **** it up

SPchief
02-25-2007, 02:59 AM
Woah there drama queen. After years of draft busts, playoff losses, and crappy defense, you're going to let Jared Allen get to you if he leaves?

He's tendered. Nobody can have him unless they're willing to cough up Jared's asking price and a couple of draft picks. Would you honestly say he's worth that?

My point is this is a great situation. Jared is going to be a Chief or the Chiefs will be in great shape come draft day. Losing Allen isn't going to cripple this team at all.

IE, post 15

Fishpicker
02-25-2007, 02:59 AM

I have to agree with you. that's such a cop out on Allen's part. I'd be upset with Carl if he immediately gave into any of Allen's demands. I really dont think Allen is going anywhere.

SNR
02-25-2007, 03:00 AM
Is it possible that Jared Allen was only good because of your secondary?Which secondary? The one that was torn apart by Derek Anderson or the one with an overpaid has-been who trips over a fly fart?

SPchief

No

booger
Allen is just in an awful situation considering the timing of his RFA status. He has no one to blame but himself.

Requesting a trade is a Joke IMO. He and his agent can wait a few days before FA begins and shop him around to see what the rest of the league feels about his situation. You have a 24 so to be 25 year old DE who is becoming a legit top 10 DE imo. A very good pass rusher, knack for stripping and recovering the ball, bats down balls and has shown good improvment with his run defense. Makes good plays behind the LOS against the run as well. A complete End that teams would love to have.

Except for the off field drinking and drive problem which he just served 2 days jail for. He is going to be suspended, just a matter of probably 2 or 4 games.

Pat Kerney from the falcons is at the top of a weak FA draft class. I'd say the Draft class is pretty average as well. I'm sure with this news there are many teams that will discuss this long and hard, but like the Chiefs want to know next seasons suspension stutus and will very likely have a clause for off field problems to protect them.

WTF is the big deal? This unfortunatly is what FA is all about. Go shop yourself around Jarred. Sign an offer sheet and we can look it over and match it without having to go through the BS of an ugly contract negiotiation(let the other team do the hard work) if not we get a first and third rd pick this upcoming draft.

This isn't exactly good PR for the team. Plucking a Division II 4th rd end, seeing him develop into a very good player, and know this has to have the chiefs dissapointed. Good teams keep their good players, especially the one's they drafted and developed.

Looks pretty messy right now. Interested to see how it turns out.

SPchief
02-25-2007, 03:01 AM
I have to agree with you. that's such a cop out on Allen's part. I'd be upset with Carl if he immediately gave into any of Allen's demands. I really dont think Allen is going anywhere.

IE post 7

Chiefs Pantalones
02-25-2007, 03:01 AM
I'm not a Carl apologist, and he could definatley **** it up

True. ROFL

He would probably trade both 1st and 3rd round picks for more picks of lesser value, like a lot of late 3rd round picks with one 2nd rounder to pick up unknown players from like Hawaii or Russia or something ala Junior Siavii. ROFL

Buck
02-25-2007, 03:02 AM
Steroids!!! Oh wait, wrong guy.

Cochise
02-25-2007, 03:02 AM
I really think Allen is jumping the gun here in asking to be traded. As an RFA, just go get a big offer from someone and the Chiefs would match it. If you want to stay here, show commitment to the team and do that, and work on it this season or after the season.

IMO, if you want the team to commit to you, commit to them. Don't negotiate in the media, stay out of trouble, and say something like, "I want a new contract but I'll play this year and not let that situation be detrimental to my teammates."

You don't really have much of an angle IMO to demand a big money contract extension when you have had two brushes with the law for which you served jail time and will likely be suspended for 4 games. "Settle" for playing for way, way more money this year than you made last year, and then talk about big money after you've shown that you have cleaned up your act.

SNR
02-25-2007, 03:03 AM
IE post 7IE post 26

SPchief
02-25-2007, 03:04 AM
Allen is just in an awful situation considering the timing of his RFA status. He has no one to blame but himself.

Requesting a trade is a Joke IMO. He and his agent can wait a few days before FA begins and shop him around to see what the rest of the league feels about his situation. You have a 24 so to be 25 year old DE who is becoming a legit top 10 DE imo. A very good pass rusher, knack for stripping and recovering the ball, bats down balls and has shown good improvment with his run defense. Makes good plays behind the LOS against the run as well. A complete End that teams would love to have.

Except for the off field drinking and drive problem which he just served 2 days jail for. He is going to be suspended, just a matter of probably 2 or 4 games.

Pat Kerney from the falcons is at the top of a weak FA draft class. I'd say the Draft class is pretty average as well. I'm sure with this news there are many teams that will discuss this long and hard, but like the Chiefs want to know next seasons suspension stutus and will very likely have a clause for off field problems to protect them.

WTF is the big deal? This unfortunatly is what FA is all about. Go shop yourself around Jarred. Sign an offer sheet and we can look it over and match it without having to go through the BS of an ugly contract negiotiation(let the other team do the hard work) if not we get a first and third rd pick this upcoming draft.

This isn't exactly good PR for the team. Plucking a Division II 4th rd end, seeing him develop into a very good player, and know this has to have the chiefs dissapointed. Good teams keep their good players, especially the one's they drafted and developed.

JA will be a chief this year
Looks pretty messy right now. Interested to see how it turns out.

SNR
02-25-2007, 03:07 AM
Steroids!!! Oh wait, wrong guy.Merriman jokes are passe around here. Poor guy's testicles can't be much bigger than blueberries after that stuff.

Chiefs Pantalones
02-25-2007, 03:07 AM
Good teams do pay and keep their players, but how do we know Allen's drinking problems are done with? I say wait a year, stay clean and play like you've never played, and you get paid.

ChiefaRoo
02-25-2007, 03:09 AM
Hey Jared. Shut the f**k up and play football. He sounds like a whiney biatch. Right now he's an ascending Red Chip DE but he's not an elite player yet. Plus, he's going to miss games because of the fact he can't rent a limo when he's out on the town. Dude has never been much of a thinker and to open up his mouth now is just going to hurt him. RFA is the way to go and the Chiefs are handling this the right way.

Cochise
02-25-2007, 03:11 AM
Good teams do pay and keep their players, but how do we know Allen's drinking problems are done with?

Yeah, we already got burned by Warfield in this category. And with what's happened with Pacman Jones and every other member of the Bengals, I think teams in the NFL are going to be less tolerant of it.

Cochise
02-25-2007, 03:12 AM
...And well, if we got a first and a third for him, I'd probably be ok with that anyway. I don't want to lose the guy but that's a pretty attractive package.

Fruit Ninja
02-25-2007, 03:15 AM
That shit is ll contract talk, If someone is going to give up 1st and a 3rd, that would be great for the team. With that we could seriously trade up n get a stud. Allen is just trying to flex his muscles. His ass wont get a big offer anywhere. Not with him bieng suspended for 4 games.

jlscorpio
02-25-2007, 03:17 AM
Was he drinking before the interview?

SPchief
02-25-2007, 03:18 AM
Allen is just trying to flex his muscles. His ass wont get a big offer anywhere. Not with him bieng suspended for 4 games.

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner.

booger
02-25-2007, 03:29 AM
He's just flat out pissed he's in this situation.

He doesn't want to sign the 1 yr tender, which after all else is explored might be his only option. If he signs and plays his 1yr deal, stays out of trouble, and puts up another good season he probably wouldn't even make it to FA in '08. We would franchise him.

What's he going to do, threaten to sit out camp and part of the season? he is already going to miss games from suspension.

I guess requesting a trade is the only way he and the agent can bitch about this. Even if a team would want to offer him a contract, said team would try and negiotate different trade terms. Maybe a first and a player or a second and third. KC wouldn't have to budge because the compensation is set.

Allen is working on a year to year contract basis as of now at much less money than he could be making. I don't blame him for wanting to explore all of his options. I just have no simpithy for him. He's pretty much screwed and he knows it. No loopholes here.

ZootedGranny
02-25-2007, 03:31 AM

Hahahaha

digi2fish
02-25-2007, 03:38 AM
time to shop a new pass rushing DE, it won't work out.

BWillie
02-25-2007, 03:52 AM
I'm glad to hear some intelligent thinkers here. When I read the title of this thread, I immediately thought, ought ohh...people are going to be slitting Carl's throat. I don't know what Jared is thinking saying this stuff to the star. Keep it to yourself, otherwise you are just going to alienate yourself to the fans.

Tribal Warfare
02-25-2007, 06:14 AM
If the Allen trade occurs I believe KC he would go to either the Bengals or St. Louis for the BPA.

Then comes the dillema of plugging that hole with a DE FA like Charles Grant

Ultra Peanut
02-25-2007, 06:26 AM
Go lie in the street, Jared.

Skip Towne
02-25-2007, 07:07 AM
Jared is a n00b. He doesn't know how to play this game yet. Carl does.

Anyong Bluth
02-25-2007, 07:09 AM
I like the guy, but when my boss walks in on me at work with my pants around my ankles tapping the secretary, the last thing I think I'm about to do is piss and moan about needing to get a big pay raise.

Its been mentioned before, but should be noted its a horrible idea. When you have no leverage b/c you're up shitcreek and going to miss a quarter of the season at least already, going public with your squabble is retarded. People in KC esp. aren't going to sympathize with you when a number of them use a large portion of their expendable income just to see you play at arrowhead. Going public never works, unless you're already established, blue chip, or a key part of a team that is in contention.

Read the above again, Jared. None of the 3 fit your scenario. You'll get a high tender that's well above you're base this year- don't get pissy b/c you drank away a quarter of your earning potential. At least you didn't sign an incentive laden contract already, b/c you'd be getting paid squat since you'd be hard pressed to make even the easiest of incentives clauses with missing a four game clip.

the Talking Can
02-25-2007, 07:16 AM
Allen may be a dumbass...but he is critical to our defense, and there aren't 10 DE's in the league that play both the run and the pass as well as he does....he is young and becoming a complete DE, and he gives 110% on every snap....you don't not sign that player....unless you love mediocrity like the Chiefs...

hopefully he'll sober up, and CP will wake up....our DL without Allen is basically non-existant

milkman
02-25-2007, 07:24 AM
If Allen leaves I'm finding a new team to root for. This is just absolute ****in bullshit. I'm tired of all of Carl's bullshit when it comes to personell and the lack of ability to lead this franchise to a SuperBowl. Carl is the reason why we havent done shit in the postseason since 1994. If he signs with another team then that's it I'm done. It's just that ****ing simple.

Bye.

We won't miss you.

milkman
02-25-2007, 07:27 AM
Hey Jared. Shut the f**k up and play football. He sounds like a whiney biatch. Right now he's an ascending Red Chip DE but he's not an elite player yet. Plus, he's going to miss games because of the fact he can't rent a limo when he's out on the town. Dude has never been much of a thinker and to open up his mouth now is just going to hurt him. RFA is the way to go and the Chiefs are handling this the right way.

He is an ascending DE.

But his numbers in the last two seasons suggest strongly that he is an elite player.

But there are only a couple of players that teams would give up a first and third for.

milkman
02-25-2007, 07:29 AM
If Allen were an unrestricted free agent, teams would be lining up to make a run for him, off field problems notwithstanding.

Chief Roundup
02-25-2007, 08:01 AM
I don't want to lose Allen. Our draft history shows that we can screw up 2 picks in the draft with the best of them.
I basicly think that Carl is just wanting someone else to tell everyone what one of our players is worth.

I hope we don't see a clause like the vikings and seahawks did to each other last offseason.

Not to mention it would probably be 2 yrs before we see the same production from that DE spot.

HemiEd
02-25-2007, 08:20 AM
I don't remember ever seeing Allen take a play off. He plays like he enjoys the game, I hope they get the right thing done.

milkman
02-25-2007, 08:32 AM
I don't want to lose Allen. Our draft history shows that we can screw up 2 picks in the draft with the best of them.
I basicly think that Carl is just wanting someone else to tell everyone what one of our players is worth.

I hope we don't see a clause like the vikings and seahawks did to each other last offseason.

Not to mention it would probably be 2 yrs before we see the same production from that DE spot.

I would have agreed with this a couple of years ago.

Over the last couple of seasons, however, it appears that our draft philosophy has shifted focus from workout warriors and projects to in game producers, and our drafts have seemed more productive,

HMc
02-25-2007, 08:34 AM

Different scenario. Burlinson and Hutchinson were UFAs with the transition tag. If someone wants to offer Allen a silly contract we will happily take a 1st and a 3rd for him. He's going to miss AT LEAST a quarter of the season anyway.

JBucc
02-25-2007, 08:41 AM
I'd like to keep Allen and all but a first and third for his drunk ass would be sweet. Come on Matt Millen you know you want to!

HMc
02-25-2007, 08:44 AM
i'm currently offering hicks hall sims and wesley. I'll give you a 3rd round pick to take em off my hands.

Phobia
02-25-2007, 08:52 AM
Wow. Allen goes for the jugular, huh? High drama. Premature.

OmahaChief
02-25-2007, 08:57 AM
Wow, does this kid ever need to grow up. He wants to be rewarded for being a drunk and spending time in jail? That worked out well for Warfield. I like Allen on the field but getting paid goes beyond play on the field in my estimation. He will miss 4 games this year most likely and he is bitching. Eff him.

PunkinDrublic
02-25-2007, 09:01 AM
Wow is Jared going to feel really stupid when no other team will give him his asking price. It's laughable to think he has any leverage on the Chiefs.

Sully
02-25-2007, 09:42 AM
Reason #12 to get your own name on the back of an authentic jersey.

KCinNY
02-25-2007, 09:53 AM
Allen's closer to a Mike Bell-type than a superstar pass rusher.

Good but not great.

Furthermore, by all accounts he's an immature jagoff.

Carl's absolutely right to lowball him.

Bwana
02-25-2007, 09:55 AM
I smell a new Donkey
You think the donks are going to give up a first and a thrid for Allen? ROFL

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

Yet another example of what could have been a 5-7 million dollar a year player with a 10 cent head. Until he proves he is smart enough to stay off the grog, or at the very least, smart enough to call a cab, he shouldn't get paid. I have to stand behing Carl in this one, and I don't do that very often.

Grow the hell up Allen. :shake:

bringbackmarty
02-25-2007, 10:03 AM
Allen is ****ed. we'll either have him, or a first and a third, and kerney. Either way I'm stoked.

greg63
02-25-2007, 10:03 AM
I smell a new Donkey

...Or Fader

Bwana
02-25-2007, 10:12 AM
...Or Fader

The Donk management is to smart, but you could have a point with the Raiders. ROFL That would be fine with me, but I doubt even Davis is that thick.

suds79
02-25-2007, 10:14 AM
Well this isn't good.

Would a 1st & 3rd be nice? Yeah but those would be unproven players.

Despite being a little crazy, Jared Allen is the best player on our D and has gotta be one of the very top DEs in the game. He has an unbelievable motor and can get to the QB.

Furthermore, he's still young. I hope they can eventually agree to a long term deal.

milkman
02-25-2007, 10:15 AM
The Donk management is to smart, but you could have a point with the Raiders. ROFL That would be fine with me, but I doubt even Davis is that thick.

Dead Al is an idiot, no doubt, but even he isn't going to give up the #1 overall, along with the 65th pick for Allen.

BigRedChief
02-25-2007, 10:28 AM
From Whitlocks column
Beyond a lack of maturity, there are still questions about just how good of a player Allen is. Yes, he’s recorded 27 1/2 sacks in three years. Guess what? During 2000-2002 Eric Hicks recorded 26 1/2 sacks

He needs to prove himself over more time to get a superstar contract. We are still living with Jerome Woods, Wesley, Hicks and the Bartee contracts after a couple of good seasons. It has to be a possibility that when Allen gets his money that he quits trying so hard and parties, goes on tour with bands and chases women. Thats why he was a 4th round pick. He played at a lower level college. Being imature.
I'd take a 1st and 3rd for him. I'm not going to fault King Carl on this one.

noa
02-25-2007, 10:30 AM
Remember when Eddie Kennison was going to sit out for a better contract? This is just more posturing through the media. No way we trade the guy cause he's going to sit out a quarter of the season and his trade value sucks. Maybe we'll let him walk for a 1st and 3rd, but short of that, his ass is playing for the Chiefs next year.

Mr. Laz
02-25-2007, 10:36 AM

agreed

At this point, the chiefs don't know what kind of suspension Allen is gonna get ...... whether Allen is gonna get another one.

A tag is about the only move ..... we just have to make sure it's a tender that will get us draft picks if we lose him. Unlike the Tait situation.

Bowser
02-25-2007, 10:38 AM
He must have found a sweet horse ranch in Liberty, and needs that 10 mil signing bonus now.

That, or he knocked some broad up and needs hush money.

C-Mac
02-25-2007, 10:41 AM
...Or Fader

Its well known that Allen grew up as a hardcore Raider fan and had always dreamed of being a Raider.
I would take the Raiders 1st and 3rd for him in a heartbeat.

boogblaster
02-25-2007, 10:41 AM
Allen is our best D. player we have ...he brings it every down plus a D. leader ... our D. can't lose this type of player ...

BigRedChief
02-25-2007, 10:42 AM
Its well known that Allen grew up as a hardcore Raider fan and had always dreamed of being a Raider.
I'd take that too.

Bwana
02-25-2007, 10:47 AM
Dead Al is an idiot, no doubt, but even he isn't going to give up the #1 overall, along with the 65th pick for Allen.

Exactly, but I would love it if he did. Even Carl couldn't scew up the #1 pick in the draft, errrr, at least until it came time to sign the guy. :spock:

Direckshun
02-25-2007, 10:48 AM
THIS IS BULLSHIT.

ALLEN IS THE LAST GUY THIS TEAM SHOULD LOSE.

I swear to god, if Carl screws the pooch here, I will whole-heartedly support his firing.

Edit: In case I was too subtle there: WE CAN'T LOSE JARED ALLEN.

Nzoner
02-25-2007, 10:48 AM
Like Bwana I can't believe I'm siding with Carl on this one but in this instance I say hold your ground.

I just don't get in this day and age of the money these guys make what the hell is the problem with renting a limo or at least calling a cab.

StcChief
02-25-2007, 10:53 AM
Carl needs to stand up to Allen.

Allen needs to cleanup his act and play very good DE.

Make the Probowl next year and then you can stick out you hand for a good contract.

Anyong Bluth
02-25-2007, 11:02 AM
Hell, you know all those hangers on "friends" that pal it up with you once you made it to the NFL. The ones that mill around your house, playing your X-box and sleeping on your couch- make one of them drive.

If you're gonna have an entourage, at least assign them marginal tasks to take care of, such as getting you home so you don't flush 1/4 of your paycheck down the toilet like a sodded turd!

Wile_E_Coyote
02-25-2007, 11:24 AM
Allen is being a meat head. He is prolly one screw up away from a year's supension & wants boo coo bucks. Hell Peterson could write the contract up to were Jared can't ride horses in the off season. A case of the rube meets the devil

trndobrd
02-25-2007, 11:30 AM
It sounds like Allen's agent isn't doing a very good job of explaining the process to his client.

LiL stumppy
02-25-2007, 11:36 AM

For one thing, we all know he is worth more money than he is getting. Maybe not as much as he wants,but alot more. He has been one of our top D players, and sometimes you have to shell out some money for those kind of players. He still young and has alot of years in him. Give him the contract.

Mr. Laz
02-25-2007, 11:38 AM
For one thing, we all know he is worth more money than he is getting. Maybe not as much as he wants,but alot more. He has been one of our top D players, and sometimes you have to shell out some money for those kind of players. He still young and has alot of years in him. Give him the contract.
we don't even know what Allen is asking for .......

what if Jared Allen wants to be the highest paid DE in the league ........ would you still be saying the same?

acesn8s
02-25-2007, 11:40 AM
If Allen leaves I'm finding a new team to root for. This is just absolute ****in bullshit. I'm tired of all of Carl's bullshit when it comes to personell and the lack of ability to lead this franchise to a SuperBowl. Carl is the reason why we havent done shit in the postseason since 1994. If he signs with another team then that's it I'm done. It's just that ****ing simple.BYE

LiL stumppy
02-25-2007, 11:42 AM
I clearly said he does't deserve as much as hes asking. I think he needs more than he was getting the previous years. He deserves a better contract IMO.

the Talking Can
02-25-2007, 11:42 AM
It sounds like Allen's agent isn't doing a very good job of explaining the process to his client.

well, one thing is certain....CP will call your bluff, he sure as hell isn't intimidated by agents....the one positive to being a self-centered, arrogant, douchebag.....

dirk digler
02-25-2007, 11:44 AM
I like Jared alot but he needs to shut his mouth and prove that he can stay sober and out of trouble for a year before the Chiefs should give him a big money contract.

Good for Carl for sticking to his guns

cmh6476
02-25-2007, 11:44 AM
patrick kerney anybody? :shrug:

NaptownChief
02-25-2007, 11:49 AM
I like Jared alot but he needs to shut his mouth and prove that he can stay sober and out of trouble for a year before the Chiefs should give him a big money contract.

Only time Peterson "sticks to his guns" is when he has leverage on a player due to their draft rights or they are restricted. He always plays the role of the big heavy with those guys but the moment a player is a free agent he gets abused like a $2 whore on a Navy ship.

Carl needs to shut his mouth a build a team that guys want to play for.

Extra Point
02-25-2007, 11:51 AM

I'll drink to that, but give me a few minutes.

acesn8s
02-25-2007, 11:57 AM
Don't you think that Jared is trying to get someone to pay him more to offset the money he loses for the 4 games? If he can get it (and he won't) he should go for it. His payday will come a the end of his contract.

dj56dt58
02-25-2007, 12:01 PM
I'll drink to that, but give me a few minutes.
Jared...is that you? Rent a limo this time mother****er

Thig Lyfe
02-25-2007, 12:01 PM
This kinda sucks.

FringeNC
02-25-2007, 12:22 PM
I'd pay Allen before I'd pay LJ.

kc rush
02-25-2007, 12:30 PM
Hell, you know all those hangers on "friends" that pal it up with you once you made it to the NFL. The ones that mill around your house, playing your X-box and sleeping on your couch- make one of them drive.

If you're gonna have an entourage, at least assign them marginal tasks to take care of, such as getting you home so you don't flush 1/4 of your paycheck down the toilet like a sodded turd!

Amen to that.

Jarred is a good player and will get paid more than he is making now. It may be by the Chiefs, or by another team. The Chiefs are in the drivers seat though because they can offer less than he would be worth under normal circumstances or get some great draft positions.

Jarred's best bet would be to see if he can find a team willing to pay his price and take that offer. If that doesn't happen get a nice raise from the Chiefs on a short contract, stay clean and get a huge contract in a couple of years.

CoMoChief
02-25-2007, 12:41 PM
patrick kerney anybody? :shrug:

Isn't he like 52 yrs old?

The Bad Guy
02-25-2007, 12:41 PM
THIS IS BULLSHIT.

I swear to god, if Carl screws the pooch here, I will whole-heartedly support his firing.

Edit: In case I was too subtle there: WE CAN'T LOSE JARED ALLEN.

I like Jared Allen a lot. I really do.

But both him and his agent are ****ing idiots.

Why does he think CP is going to open up the piggy bank now for him after his 2nd DUI?

I fully support CP on this one.

Woodrow Call
02-25-2007, 12:43 PM
This is where Carl needs to be the tough SOB he claims to be. If a team wants to give the Chiefs a couple of much needed picks for a guy 1 strike away from a year vacation, take the deal.

Put Tamba at one DE, Wilkerson at the other, and pray some DTs pan out.

Short Leash Hootie
02-25-2007, 12:54 PM
Watch a Chiefs game, and then you can answer this question.

KrazyKorean4
02-25-2007, 12:55 PM
Well, if we do trade him, at least we'll get a few more picks out of it. But I'd rather have him.

Short Leash Hootie
02-25-2007, 12:57 PM
Wilkerson wouldn't work at DE with Tamba...we'd need to draft a fast pass rushing DE if we get rid of Allen...I like Wilkerson, he has a good motor and played very well this year, but Tamba and Wilkerson as our DE's isn't exactly a fierce pass rushing duo...

FDS
02-25-2007, 12:58 PM
Remind Carl of your long snapping prowess. The money will be in the bank by morning.

PBJ FirstDownSamie PBJ

kc rush
02-25-2007, 01:02 PM
Wilkerson wouldn't work at DE with Tamba...we'd need to draft a fast pass rushing DE if we get rid of Allen...I like Wilkerson, he has a good motor and played very well this year, but Tamba and Wilkerson as our DE's isn't exactly a fierce pass rushing duo...

If we sign Allen to a big deal, there wont be enough money left over to re-sign Huard.

MVP MVP MVP

Rausch
02-25-2007, 01:05 PM
I can understand the Chiefs not wanting to drop big money on a guy with off the field problems.

I can also understand that it's ****ing stupid if you don't find some way to retain your most productive player on defense the last three years...

FringeNC
02-25-2007, 01:12 PM
Here's what Football Outsiders said about Jared Allen:

"Jared Allen had a Bruce Smith-like season last year. The combination of an ability to rush the passer and an ability to stop the run is what made Smith so special, and that's who Allen most resembles. Sure, it sounds ridiculous to compare the little-known Allen, a 24-year-old from Idaho State, to one of the all-time greats. But he earned it last season."

I don't know how much you pay Jared Allen, but I think he is more valuable to this team than Larry Johnson. Our offense was better with Priest Holmes than Larry Johnson (and I am talking about comparing both playing behind Roaf).

Chiefs Pantalones
02-25-2007, 01:15 PM
I think we'll get him back, Rauch.

No one is going to give up a 1st and 3rd for him. The Chiefs tendering him is just a way to hold on to him because the negotiations are going to go on longer than expected.

Short Leash Hootie
02-25-2007, 01:15 PM
Here's what Football Outsiders said about Jared Allen:

"Jared Allen had a Bruce Smith-like season last year. The combination of an ability to rush the passer and an ability to stop the run is what made Smith so special, and that's who Allen most resembles. Sure, it sounds ridiculous to compare the little-known Allen, a 24-year-old from Idaho State, to one of the all-time greats. But he earned it last season."

I don't know how much you pay Jared Allen, but I think he is more valuable to this team than Larry Johnson. Our offense was better with Priest Holmes than Larry Johnson (and I am talking about comparing both playing behind Roaf).
I'll agree that Jared Allen is our most valuable player.

I won't agree that Holmes was EVER better than LJ. I won't disagree, but I'm not going to agree, either. Holmes ran behind our line when we had Tait and a healthier Roaf...in 2004 LJ outperformed Holmes, in 2005 LJ outperformed Holmes, and in 2006 we didn't even have Holmes.

FringeNC
02-25-2007, 01:17 PM
I'll agree that Jared Allen is our most valuable player.

I won't agree that Holmes was EVER better than LJ. I won't disagree, but I'm not going to agree, either. Holmes ran behind our line when we had Tait and a healthier Roaf...in 2004 LJ outperformed Holmes, in 2005 LJ outperformed Holmes, and in 2006 we didn't even have Holmes.

No doubt LJ is a better pure runner. He is a liability in the passing game. Holmes was great. Pure running ability, not even close. Better all-around player -- Holmes.

Direckshun
02-25-2007, 01:23 PM
I just keep thinking about this and thinking about this.

Jared Allen & the Chiefs are a match made in Heaven. Both sides want to be together, and both sides have so much to gain from it.

I don't know how they'll do it, but they need to make this work.

Mecca
02-25-2007, 01:26 PM
I think we'll get him back, Rauch.

No one is going to give up a 1st and 3rd for him. The Chiefs tendering him is just a way to hold on to him because the negotiations are going to go on longer than expected.

What if he refuses to play for the tender.....guys have done that before. If he really wants to play hardball with the Chiefs he can pull that.

Mecca
02-25-2007, 01:27 PM
I just keep thinking about this and thinking about this.

Jared Allen & the Chiefs are a match made in Heaven. Both sides want to be together, and both sides have so much to gain from it.

I don't know how they'll do it, but they need to make this work.

The only person Jared Allen has to blame for this is himself......and then he goes public and blames the Chiefs for it. The guy is like a big 13 year old that doesn't understand how his own choices put him in this spot.

Brock
02-25-2007, 01:52 PM
What if he refuses to play for the tender.....guys have done that before. If he really wants to play hardball with the Chiefs he can pull that.

He's already going to be out 4 games and game checks. He has zero leverage.

Mecca
02-25-2007, 01:56 PM
He's already going to be out 4 games and game checks. He has zero leverage.

That's almost why I'd put more weight into him doing it. He could easily think well I'm getting suspended anyway how about I just hardball them at the same time.

Bwana
02-25-2007, 02:02 PM
That's almost why I'd put more weight into him doing it. He could easily think well I'm getting suspended anyway how about I just hardball them at the same time.
Let him do what he has to do. Screw being held hostage by some spoiled dipshit that refuses to grow the **** up. Allen has no one to blame but Allen. He has two DUI's, if he sits out a season right after that, what do you think his value would be in the NFL next year?

Hey Allen, stfd, stfu, stay off the Maddog 20/20 and learn to take a cab dumbass. :shake:

BWillie
02-25-2007, 02:11 PM

What's he going to do hold out? He's probably already out for 4 games anyway. What is another couple? If he holds out entire season, what he is worth with off the field problems, and his hold out. He won't be worth near as much after next season to other teams if he doesn't play. They will think he's a headcase, and he'll lose millions.

SNR
02-25-2007, 02:23 PM
THIS IS BULLSHIT.

Edit: In case I was too subtle there: WE CAN'T LOSE JARED ALLEN.And why can't we? We would receive FIRST ROUND compensation, plus a 3rd rounder if everything goes well. What's not to love about this situation?

This is just more Carl hate. I diagree with his management style too, but now is the time more than ever when Carl need to play tough SOB negotiator.

I know why you're pissed off. Carl does a shitty job of dealing with the public. He looks like an ass when he says stuff like Jared is "asking for too much money." But it's the truth, and it would hurt our team to give in to a crybaby drunk, no matter how hard-working and talented he is.

Let the situation unfold. He's either going to stay in KC at a price that doesn't break the bank or we'll get buttloads of compensation, which I think is more appetizing than keeping Jared around and having to replace him when he serves his game suspensions.

sedated
02-25-2007, 02:28 PM
the chances of seeing JA in another uniform soon are about as good as seeing Priest in a Chiefs uniform again.

L.A. Chieffan
02-25-2007, 02:30 PM
PAY HIM, pay that man his money!

BULLSHIT!!!!
Who gives a shit about his DUI's? This is horrible if we get rid of him.

kcfanXIII
02-25-2007, 02:34 PM
are you sure glass isn't running the chiefs now? sounds like a move he'd make.

noa
02-25-2007, 02:40 PM
PAY HIM, pay that man his money!

BULLSHIT!!!!
Who gives a shit about his DUI's? This is horrible if we get rid of him.

I would give a shit if we paid him a ton of money and then he got busted again and had to sit out an entire season.

Halfcan
02-25-2007, 02:53 PM
A 1st and third would be sweet.

L.A. Chieffan
02-25-2007, 03:19 PM
I would give a shit if we paid him a ton of money and then he got busted again and had to sit out an entire season.
Seriously what does it matter? How much money have we wasted on players that are total utter failures and busts and hacks and losers that end up being laughed out of the league, and now we have a diamond in the rough and we're gonna let him leave so we can put in some other chump. no thanks

Lzen
02-25-2007, 03:33 PM
...And well, if we got a first and a third for him, I'd probably be ok with that anyway. I don't want to lose the guy but that's a pretty attractive package.

That's the way I feel. People are acting like Carl is screwing up. That is not the case here. He is being wise. What happens if we sign Allen long term and then he gets his 3rd offense? Then he's being paid but not able to play for the Chiefs. Then we're really screwed.

L.A. Chieffan
02-25-2007, 03:35 PM
That's the way I feel. People are acting like Carl is screwing up. That is not the case here. He is being wise. What happens if we sign Allen long term and then he gets his 3rd offense? Then he's being paid but not able to play for the Chiefs. Then we're really screwed.
What happens when those 1st and 3rd rounders end up being Siavii and Warfield all over again?

el borracho
02-25-2007, 03:37 PM
Siavii = 2nd round pick
Warfield = 7th round pick

KCChiefsFan88
02-25-2007, 03:39 PM
I hate Carl just as much as the next guy, but I am on the Chiefs side on this one.

First of all I question Allen's current state of mind considering he has just spent time in jail (granted it was a short amount of time but still jail is jail). Secondly the Chiefs have been burnt in the past giving big contracts to defensive guys who have showed nice promise but haven't demonstrated they can be consistent Pro Bowl-caliber players (i.e. Warfield, Wesley, Hicks).

SNR
02-25-2007, 03:39 PM
What happens when those 1st and 3rd rounders end up being Siavii and Warfield all over again?That kind of thinking is exactly the reason why the Chiefs are too old on offense and have a few free agent turds leftover on defense that need to be removed.

One bright side to Herm is that he is a former scout and is great at drafting. It's doubtful that those picks would go to waste.

L.A. Chieffan
02-25-2007, 03:41 PM
Siavii = 2nd round pick
Warfield = 7th round pick
Siavii was OUR first pick in that draft. Fine take Warfield off, shall I list the amount of draft failures we've had in the 1st and 2 rounds in the past 10 years? It would be pretty ugly.

L.A. Chieffan
02-25-2007, 03:42 PM
It's doubtful that those picks would go to waste.
Now we're assuming that we HOPE it works out, whereas Allen is a sure thing.

el borracho
02-25-2007, 03:43 PM
Just for reference:

1st round = Hali
3rd round = Croyle

1st round =D. Johnson
3rd round = Colquitt

L.A. Chieffan
02-25-2007, 03:44 PM
Just for reference:

1st round = Hali
3rd round = Croyle

1st round =D. Johnson
3rd round = Colquitt
Who is this Croyle person? Isn't a Colquitt a punter. That's how bad are drafts have become we have to detail the success's of a punter?

SPchief
02-25-2007, 03:45 PM
Now we're assuming that we HOPE it works out, whereas Allen is a sure thing.

Allen isn't a sure thing.

KCfanfromNC
02-25-2007, 03:48 PM
I love Jared Allen and want him to stay, but if we get a 1st and a 3rd for him, I think that's a no brainer as old as our team is.

el borracho
02-25-2007, 03:52 PM
Who is this Croyle person? Isn't a Colquitt a punter. That's how bad are drafts have become we have to detail the success's of a punter?
What are you so upset about? Most likely no one will offer so much for J. Allen and he returns to the Chiefs, eager to prove he deserves the big bucks.

el borracho
02-25-2007, 03:55 PM
Oh, to answer your questions, Croyle is a legit candidate for QB of the future and Colquitt is one of the better punters in the league.

L.A. Chieffan
02-25-2007, 03:55 PM
Allen isn't a sure thing.
The best player on our defense the past two years and one of the top DE's in the league, I wonder what does make a sure thing?

L.A. Chieffan
02-25-2007, 03:56 PM
I love Jared Allen and want him to stay, but if we get a 1st and a 3rd for him, I think that's a no brainer as old as our team is.
You know we could get rid of DJ and Tamba too while we're at it. I bet there are some teams willing to give us a couple of high rounders for them as well.

L.A. Chieffan
02-25-2007, 03:57 PM
What are you so upset about? Most likely no one will offer so much for J. Allen and he returns to the Chiefs, eager to prove he deserves the big bucks.
You're probably right but it's just the notion that most people here are so quick to dismiss one of the best players we got like it's nothing and can be easily replaced. I hope you're right.

KCfanfromNC
02-25-2007, 03:58 PM
DJ and Tamba haven't requested to be traded

L.A. Chieffan
02-25-2007, 03:59 PM
DJ and Tamba haven't requested to be traded
Screw em, we need to get younger.

KCfanfromNC
02-25-2007, 04:02 PM
Good point...

greg63
02-25-2007, 04:17 PM

It would be a whole lot better then what we'd get at the 23 spot.

Cochise
02-25-2007, 04:24 PM
It would suck to lose one of the few young, productive players we have on D, but a first and a third? The broncos paid about that or less than that for Champ Bailey, I think.

5 first day picks, including 2 first rounders, and saving the cap room he would have taken up on a huge contract... that's not so bad.

Mecca
02-25-2007, 04:38 PM
The best player on our defense the past two years and one of the top DE's in the league, I wonder what does make a sure thing?

He's not a sure thing because one more **** up and he's sitting out for an entire season.....Jared Allen has no one to blame but himself for all of this.

Rain Man
02-25-2007, 04:51 PM
Findings and conclusions:

1. Allen would be a lot richer if he didn't drink and drive.

2. Allen knows nothing about negotiating if he wants a new deal right after getting out of jail and right before serving a suspension for one-fourth of the season.

3. No one will pay a 1st and a 3rd for him, so he'll be back, and he'll play well and mature so he can get a good contract next year.

NaptownChief
02-25-2007, 05:38 PM
I like Jared Allen a lot. I really do.

But both him and his agent are ****ing idiots.

Why does he think CP is going to open up the piggy bank now for him after his 2nd DUI?

I fully support CP on this one.

He had no trouble opening up the wallet and grossly overpaying for a turd like Warfield who had a DUI or two at the time. Why shouldn't his agent expect him to do it for a guy who is actually good?

GoHuge
02-25-2007, 06:00 PM
Look at the current Jared Allen, Carl Peterson, Kansas City Chiefs situation in real world terms (other than in professional sports).

Could you imagine being a fly on the wall or watching the current situation unfold in a normal job..... an employee fresh out of jail from his second DUI in the last year walks into his boss's office and says something to him along the lines of "I want a big raise and I want you to build this business around me starting next year. Now I'm not going to be available for a 1/4 of the year next year because our industry is going to suspend me because of my multiple f*ck ups (in the three years I've been here). I don't have any intentions of changing the way I conduct myself or at least I haven't done anything to make you think I've received my wake up call. I will probably do it again and if I keep up with my current trend it will be within the next couple of years. Next time I will be suspended for a substantially longer period of time from the industry and face a year in prison because it is just too hard not to drive when I'm drunk. Also being a very popular well-known millionaire it is just too hard to get somebody that cares about what I do for a living in KC to drive for me, oh and at that point I will also be a convicted felon. My entire life I've made the wrong decisions in life, since you hired me I've continued to make the wrong decisions, and now I'm doing them more often than I use to. With all that being said, I'd now like you to give me a long term contract and I'd like to finish out my career with your company. If you don't do it than I'd like you to release me from my current contract and let me go my own way. I know everybody told you I was a social f*ck up, yes I've proved them right, and I know you took a chance on me, but I'm better at my job than you thought I was gonna be." All while keeping a straight face LMAO

Only in the NFL with the Chiefs and Carl.

Count Alex's Losses
02-25-2007, 06:34 PM
I hope Gunther works Allen's ass off in training camp this year. Just beat the shit out of him and ride him as hard as possible. Bitch.

htismaqe
02-25-2007, 06:40 PM
If there was EVER a time Carl should tell someone to STFU and STFD, that time is NOW.

Jared Allen, sit on down...

Joe Seahawk
02-25-2007, 06:46 PM
DJ Hackett for Jared Allen..

Personally, I wouldn't do it but it does sort of make sense for both teams..

tommykat
02-25-2007, 06:47 PM
Findings and conclusions:

1. Allen would be a lot richer if he didn't drink and drive.

2. Allen knows nothing about negotiating if he wants a new deal right after getting out of jail and right before serving a suspension for one-fourth of the season.

3. No one will pay a 1st and a 3rd for him, so he'll be back, and he'll play well and mature so he can get a good contract next year.

As I read all this? :shake:

However, Rain Man you tend to be right most of the time. I hope so with this one.

Count Alex's Losses
02-25-2007, 06:47 PM
DJ Hackett for Jared Allen..

Personally, I wouldn't do it but it does sort of make sense for both teams..

How so? The Chiefs need a #1, and I'm not even sure Hackett is a #2.

Easy 6
02-25-2007, 06:54 PM
I hope Gunther works Allen's ass off in training camp this year. Just beat the shit out of him and ride him as hard as possible. Bitch.

An honest to goodness... LMAO

ChiefFan31
02-25-2007, 07:09 PM
I only make it to page 3, so I haven't read all the posts...

But, Jared Allen has no one to blame but himself for being in this situation. If he didn't get that second DUI, he would be in a much better bargaining position. Hell, Carl would throw out better numbers. But the guy is fresh out of jail and looking at a suspension. No other team is going to offer and first and a third for that. If they do, then we will gladly take it.

I'm not upset by this, I would prefer he kept his mouth shut, but all this is, is player/agent posturing. Nothing more.

He has landed himself in the position to accept the one year tender, play his ass off and stay out of trouble. Then in 08 he can get his big contract. All Jared needs to be doing right now is working out, and hiring a full-time driver.

Manila-Chief
02-25-2007, 08:12 PM
Like Bwana I can't believe I'm siding with Carl on this one but in this instance I say hold your ground.

I just don't get in this day and age of the money these guys make what the hell is the problem with renting a limo or at least calling a cab.

I agree with both of you. It's unusual for me to support Carl in this. But, he is correct.

When I began reading the article I was blaming Carl for being his usual cheap self ... but, I had not heard that Allen was in a division II school coz he messed up and Div. I schools wouldn't take a chance on him ... Elizabeth mentioned some NFL teams were shy about drafting him coz of his problems. Thus, Whitlock is exactly correct ... tag him and let him prove himself.

If he was a model citizen I'd join you guys about not trusting Kingless in the draft ... but this is a no brainer....

Skip Towne
02-25-2007, 08:21 PM
I t was either Jared's dad or grandad who had a reputation as a wild man the rules didn't apply to. So, if it is genetic, we may not see much change in his behavior. Many NFL careers have been ruined by the "10 cent head". Duane Thomas and Joe Don Looney to name but a couple.

Wa-Z
02-26-2007, 12:23 AM
I think it's funny how when a premier player wants to leave his team all fans from other teams think they will get him...we do it to...it's just funny. Take a look at some other boards.

SNR
02-26-2007, 12:26 AM
I think it's funny how when a premier player wants to leave his team all fans from other teams think they will get him...we do it to...it's just funny. Take a look at some other boards.One of my friends who is a Lions fan seems to think they'll pick up Allen as soon as I told him this story. It's pretty funny.

chefsos
02-26-2007, 12:42 AM
I think it's funny how when a premier player wants to leave his team all fans from other teams think they will get him...we do it to...it's just funny. Take a look at some other boards.
Ha, I just did. ExtremeSkins had to merge a bunch of repost threads about Allen. Some of those guys were going nuts, no doubt remembering the way he brutalized them in '05, until reminded of a few details...

SPchief
02-26-2007, 12:42 AM
He had no trouble opening up the wallet and grossly overpaying for a turd like Warfield who had a DUI or two at the time. Why shouldn't his agent expect him to do it for a guy who is actually good?

Maybe Carl learned something the first time around for a change?

Ultra Peanut
02-26-2007, 01:18 AM
Who is this Croyle person? Isn't a Colquitt a punter. That's how bad are drafts have become we have to detail the success's of a punter?You're dumb. Go away.

King_Chief_Fan
02-26-2007, 08:06 AM

The orange mane is all excited about the prospect of Allen going to Denver. What a bunch of dumb arses. It is all a negotiating ploy.

BigRedChief
02-26-2007, 08:09 AM
The orange mane is all excited about the prospect of Allen going to Denver. What a bunch of dumb arses. It is all a negotiating ploy.
That may be true but King Carl may be willing to take the 1st and 3rd rounders and not worry about him melting down later.

King_Chief_Fan
02-26-2007, 08:26 AM
That may be true but King Carl may be willing to take the 1st and 3rd rounders and not worry about him melting down later.

He is one of the true players on the Chiefs team. I think they can bring him under control by being fair. Build some incentives and show him a little love. Hard to do with a guy who has screwed the team by getting enough DUI's to cause him to miss 1/4 the season. (speculative). Getting a first and 3rd for him under the circumstances is hard to ignore.

KC Kings
02-26-2007, 09:50 AM
You're probably right but it's just the notion that most people here are so quick to dismiss one of the best players we got like it's nothing and can be easily replaced. I hope you're right.
I don't think that anybody here is "quick to dismiss" Allen, but a lot of people are looking at both sides of the picture. If Allen leaves will it be the end of the world? No, we will still get a couple of high draft picks for him.

I like Allen and want him to stay in KC. That being said, the guy has screwed up time and time again. He is going to be sitting out the first 4 games this season. He is one screw up away from sitting out the entire year. These factors contribute greatly to his total value, and both Allen and the fans need to understand that. I don't see any team paying him the money he wants, plus a first, plus a third, when he can't play for 25% of the season and he is one 6-pack away from being out for a year. Allen screwed up his big pay day, and Carl is taking advantage of his poor decisions for some tough negotiations.

htismaqe
02-26-2007, 09:53 AM
I don't think that anybody here is "quick to dismiss" Allen, but a lot of people are looking at both sides of the picture. If Allen leaves will it be the end of the world? No, we will still get a couple of high draft picks for him.

I like Allen and want him to stay in KC. That being said, the guy has screwed up time and time again. He is going to be sitting out the first 4 games this season. He is one screw up away from sitting out the entire year. These factors contribute greatly to his total value, and both Allen and the fans need to understand that. I don't see any team paying him the money he wants, plus a first, plus a third, when he can't play for 25% of the season and he is one 6-pack away from being out for a year. Allen screwed up his big pay day, and Carl is taking advantage of his poor decisions for some tough negotiations.

Yep.

TRR
02-26-2007, 11:13 AM
I'd give up Allen in a heartbeat for a 1st and 3rd round pick. Allen is just too much trouble off the field right now. It''s scary to think what a big contact would do to him.

Allen is about as secure as Larry Johnson is. And that's why he doesn't deserve a big contract. Fact of the matter is, no team will give up a 1st and 3rd for a player that will sit on the bench for the first 4 games of the 07' season. He wil be in KC whether he likes it or not.

FringeNC
02-26-2007, 11:22 AM

I dunno. Jared Allen's off-the-field problems are nothing like that of TO or Moss or those guys. Allen is not a distraction in the locker room. I doubt many teams care about Allen's DUIs other than the fact one more ****up, and he's in big trouble. They could hire him a personnel chauffeur or something.

I don't think we'll lose Jared Allen, and his trade demands are no reason to panic, but having said that, if we DID lose Allen, it would be a HUGE blow.

Redrum_69
02-26-2007, 11:58 AM
"And starting for the Raiders....."

L.A. Chieffan
02-26-2007, 12:01 PM

Wile_E_Coyote
02-26-2007, 12:12 PM
He drives a pink caddy, wears Saturday Night Fever suits & dresses up like an Olympic swimmer for shits & giggles. Attention whoring should be expected

KurtCobain
02-26-2007, 12:21 PM
I don't get alot of online time anymore and I hadn't heard about this until last night. I'm litterally talking about getting a jared allen jersey and about five minutes later I turn on channel nine news to see the last second of a jared allen interview with the words "wants traded" under his name. WTF!?!?!?!?!! HELL ****ING NO WE LET HIM GO!

bullshit. I swear I'll cry. The Broncos? AAAAAAAAAAH!

tk13
02-26-2007, 12:49 PM
Yeah, that's kinda funny, because I had been thinking next time I get around to buying a Chiefs jersey, I was leaning toward getting an Allen one. The jersey-buying business is dangerous in today's NFL.

BigRedChief
02-26-2007, 01:02 PM
"And starting for the Raiders....."For the Raiders 1st and 3rd this year I'd be very happy seeing Allen in a Raiders uniform twice a year welllll unless he gets another DUI then he won't be playing for a year.

But even Al is not that dumb

L.A. Chieffan
02-26-2007, 01:29 PM
Yeah, that's kinda funny, because I had been thinking next time I get around to buying a Chiefs jersey, I was leaning toward getting an Allen one. The jersey-buying business is dangerous in today's NFL.
Yeah it's probably best to stick with the classics. Get a DT one or a Lanier one, or maybe a Stoyanovich one.

I have an Allen one already BTW :banghead:

L.A. Chieffan
02-26-2007, 01:33 PM
You're dumb. Go away.
I know you are , but what am I?

Sure-Oz
02-26-2007, 01:37 PM
It would suck to lose Allen but a 1st and 3rd for him is pretty damn good deal too....the guy has issues and this is the reason he isnt getting that big deal. Next time he could be out there getting drunk and hurt himself or others just as easy and the chiefs are SOL there if they give him a big pay day! He may have earned it on the field but def. not off of it.

TRR
02-26-2007, 02:33 PM
There was an article awhile back about Allen. The author knew about Allen back at his days at Idaho State, and can't believe that he is not in prison right now. I believe the author called him a, "threat to society."

That's when I started questioning Jared Allen.

beer bacon
02-26-2007, 02:54 PM

If Oakland wants to give up their #1 overall pick for Allen, it is fine by me.

Wile_E_Coyote
02-26-2007, 03:07 PM
Allen for Pacman

& Vince Young

Woodrow Call
02-26-2007, 03:24 PM
There was an article awhile back about Allen. The author knew about Allen back at his days at Idaho State, and can't believe that he is not in prison right now. I believe the author called him a, "threat to society."

That's when I started questioning Jared Allen.

Didn't Allen originally go to Washington but had his scholorship taken away due to trouble with the law?

He doesn't seem like he will ever learn from his mistakes.

Halfcan
02-26-2007, 05:06 PM
I would even take a 2nd for Allen. Fug that guy-2 DWI's and instead of apologizing for making the same mistakes, he come out and says he wants to leave.

Take the 2nd, package it with our 2nd and get a high number one.

NaptownChief
02-26-2007, 05:14 PM
Maybe Carl learned something the first time around for a change?

That is an interesting thought.....However it would require Carl admiting he made a mistake before. Not sure if that is even possible for him.

Direckshun
02-26-2007, 05:49 PM
I simply don't see the value in trading off a sure top 10 DE that's young for two players who might be good. Someone's going to have to explain that to me.

Halfcan
02-26-2007, 06:00 PM
I simply don't see the value in trading off a sure top 10 DE that's young for two players who might be good. Someone's going to have to explain that to me.

When the player has 2 DWI's and chances are will have another- plus the fact he wants to be traded figures into trading his azz.