PDA

View Full Version : Free agency is gonna be an absolute bloodbath this year

Mr. Laz
02-25-2007, 10:41 AM
The Chiefs would do well to avoid it as much as possible.

The salary cap went up a lot ....... most teams have tons of money. We are going to see some of the biggest contracts in the history of the NFL this year. The signing bonuses are gonna be crazy with 15+ million on most big contracts. I just read that Freeney wants 30 million dollar in signing bonus/guaranteed money.

it's nuts ...... :shake:

This year is a perfect year for the Chiefs to not sign any big name free agents. We need to just pick from the 3rd tier guys at the very end and just avoid all this crazy money.

1 dollar spent in free agency in 2007 will equal 2 dollars in 2008 after the teams have had a chance to blow their salary cap wad this year.

Deberg_1990
02-25-2007, 10:42 AM
I wonder what overblown FA the Deadskins will target this year??

Luzap
02-25-2007, 12:43 PM
I agree. This will be a good year to keep our financial house in order so that we have the money we need in '08 and beyond.

I'm thinking this will be a rebuilding year and I am not going to get too upset with a bad record. I'm just going to enjoy seeing (hopefully many) new players develope and cheer them on for the future.

Luz
having said that, we'll probably go the the afc championship game...

siberian khatru
02-25-2007, 12:46 PM
Totally agree.

We need to start drafting well. That's the way to build the team. I think we drafted well last year. Need to have 3-4 years of that.

Direckshun
02-25-2007, 12:48 PM
I was hoping for a Ty Law caliber signing this offseason, but all the franchising has dried up an already-pretty-dry free agency market for 1st tier players.

I agree, I think going for some role players is the best idea.

KCChiefsFan88
02-25-2007, 03:42 PM
Chiefs should be looking to make a bold move in the draft and trade up to land Joe Thomas or Levi Brown

milkman
02-25-2007, 06:27 PM
Chiefs should be looking to make a bold move in the draft and trade up to land Joe Thomas or Levi Brown

And right when the season rolls around and they've only addressed that one position in the draft because they made that bold move and don't have any other picks, you'll be the first one here bitching about the incompetence of Carl.

The Chiefs have entirely to many holes to fill to do something as stupid as you're suggesting.

They can address and fill 2 or 3 holes with their top 3 picks.

kstater
02-25-2007, 06:30 PM
I wonder what overblown FA the Deadskins will target this year??

Maybe Jared Allen?

Easy 6
02-25-2007, 06:32 PM
I agree, at this point atleast there is nobody at any position worth a giant contract, its just a really bad crop of FA's.

Kevin Curtis would be a great fit IMO, world class speed, good size & we KNOW he can take a hit & hang onto the ball.

But outside of him i dont care if we pick up any real names, its a year for rolling snake-eyes in the draft.

htismaqe
02-25-2007, 06:36 PM
OK, who possessed Laz' body?

:D

Seriously, I agree 100%. Concentrate on the draft...

penchief
02-25-2007, 06:38 PM
I think we should pay Allen. Only because he's a keeper. We should take financial advantage of him when his next contract expires, not this one. He's the type of player that will be productive as long as he's physically capable.

But I agree with the idea that we should not invest much in FA. I believe that we should probably pick up a WR if possible because drafting wide receivers high is drafting against the odds. That said, this year's draft predicts that unusually rare talent at the WR position will likely drop to the bottom half of the draft. That is a good argument for picking up another Tony Gonzalez-like talent to open things up for LJ.

The question to me seems to be would that kind of pickup help the overall effort as much as an LT or DT? I don't know but I'd be more willing to answer the WR question through free agency if possible.

milkman
02-25-2007, 06:38 PM
Maybe Jared Allen?

Even if the 'Skins wanted to persue Allen, they couldn't afford him.

After the first round, they don't have another pick until the fifth.

Mr. Laz
02-25-2007, 06:48 PM
OK, who possessed Laz' body?

:D

Seriously, I agree 100%. Concentrate on the draft...
i possessed yo' mommas body at least 3 times last night.

she nicknamed me Elaztherios "The Greek God of the well Hung"

:p

Easy 6
02-25-2007, 06:49 PM
After the first round, they don't have another pick until the fifth.

That is pathetic, the skins have been dying a slow death since snyder took over.

greg63
02-25-2007, 07:01 PM
The Chiefs would do well to avoid it as much as possible.

The salary cap went up a lot ....... most teams have tons of money. We are going to see some of the biggest contracts in the history of the NFL this year. The signing bonuses are gonna be crazy with 15+ million on most big contracts. I just read that Freeney wants 30 million dollar in signing bonus/guaranteed money.

it's nuts ...... :shake:...

It is nuts; completely out of control.

greg63
02-25-2007, 07:02 PM
i possessed yo' mommas body at least 3 times last night.

she nicknamed me Elaztherios "The Greek God of the well Hung"

:p

Redrum; is that you?

Cochise
02-25-2007, 07:09 PM
I hope we come in way, way under the cap this year. Build with youth, and save that available cash for next year or the next time there is a real prize on the FA market.

Skip Towne
02-25-2007, 07:11 PM
I hope we come in way, way under the cap this year. Build with youth, and save that available cash for next year or the next time there is a real prize on the FA market.
Save our money for a rainy day?

KCChiefsFan88
02-25-2007, 08:45 PM
And right when the season rolls around and they've only addressed that one position in the draft because they made that bold move and don't have any other picks, you'll be the first one here bitching about the incompetence of Carl.

The Chiefs have entirely to many holes to fill to do something as stupid as you're suggesting.

They can address and fill 2 or 3 holes with their top 3 picks.

Does making a bold move and trading up in the draft mean the Chiefs can't do anything else in the draft? No

Apparently you are unaware of the fact other teams have made significant trades up in the first round and still have been able to address their other needs in later rounds.

Also apparently you are unaware of another avenue for the Chiefs to address some of their needs... it is called free agency.

KCChiefsFan88
02-25-2007, 08:47 PM
That is pathetic, the skins have been dying a slow death since snyder took over.

And yet even the Deadskins have won a playoff game more recently than the Chiefs.

If the Deadskins are dying a slow death then the Chiefs have been a rotting corpse

milkman
02-25-2007, 09:33 PM
Does making a bold move and trading up in the draft mean the Chiefs can't do anything else in the draft? No

Oh, of course.
I forgot that the Chiefs have unlimited draft picks, so they could afford to make that bold move to move up 10 to 22 spots to have a shot of selecting Brown or Thomas.

Apparently you are unaware of the fact other teams have made significant trades up in the first round and still have been able to address their other needs in later rounds.

Yeah, of course, I've never seen that.
So I obviously must have missed the ones where they moved up 15 or 20 spots.

Also apparently you are unaware of another avenue for the Chiefs to address some of their needs... it is called free agency.

Oh yeah.
How could I forget about all those Free Agents that had major roles for the Pats, Steelers, Colts, etc. in those SB runs?

Toad
02-25-2007, 09:52 PM
I have a theory. I believe that Carl will be forced by ownership to stay away from premium tier FA's in the next couple of years. The Chiefs will at some point have to pay for past mistakes in several areas:

-Overpaying to re-sign thier own below average players -i.e. Wesley, Hicks, Woods, Bartee.

-Contracts on rookies that were failures -i.e. Simms.

-Overpaying for outside free agents/trades -i.e. Bell, Law, Surtain (BTW, regarding Surtain, anyone who counts $9mm+ against the 2007 salary cap should take a pay cut or be cut).

-Restructuring contracts that potentially accelerates thier bonus when we cut them - i.e. Trent (Again, anyone who counts $9mm+ against the 2007 salary cap should take a pay cut or be cut).

The Star repoted a figure (don't know how accurate it is) that if we cut 9 specific players, it will accelerate those bonuses to the tune of $32mm. I don't know if the 9 players that I mentioned above are those referenced in the article, but I would assume most of them are. At some point we will have to cut the dead weight. If Hunt has a $32mm bill in 2007 or even a $16x2 spread over 2 years, I doubt he will be in a good financial mood to fork over incremental signing bounses on top free agents (especially considering the escalation in value of contracts this year).

Thus, I think that is why Carl is telling the media and us that the Chiefs will get back to focusing on the draft. Hunt won't let him spend over the dollars it will take to clean house.

Fire away...

Sully
02-25-2007, 09:55 PM
I have a theory. I believe that Carl will be forced by ownership to stay away from premium tier FA's in the next couple of years. The Chiefs will at some point have to pay for past mistakes in several areas:

-Overpaying to re-sign thier own below average players -i.e. Wesley, Hicks, Woods, Bartee.

-Contracts on rookies that were failures -i.e. Simms.

-Overpaying for outside free agents/trades -i.e. Bell, Law, Surtain (BTW, regarding Surtain, anyone who counts $9mm+ against the 2007 salary cap should take a pay cut or be cut).

-Restructuring contracts that potentially accelerates thier bonus when we cut them - i.e. Trent (Again, anyone who counts $9mm+ against the 2007 salary cap should take a pay cut or be cut).

The Star repoted a figure (don't know how accurate it is) that if we cut 9 specific players, it will accelerate those bonuses to the tune of $32mm. I don't know if the 9 players that I mentioned above are those referenced in the article, but I would assume most of them are. At some point we will have to cut the dead weight. If Hunt has a $32mm bill in 2007 or even a $16x2 spread over 2 years, I doubt he will be in a good financial mood to fork over incremental signing bounses on top free agents (especially considering the escalation in value of contracts this year).

Thus, I think that is why Carl is telling the media and us that the Chiefs will get back to focusing on the draft. Hunt won't let him spend over the dollars it will take to clean house.

Fire away...

You understand that the acceleration is only in "cap dollars" and has nothing to do with how much Hunt has to pay out, right? All that money has already been paid,

Cochise
02-25-2007, 10:00 PM
Save our money for a rainy day?

I just mean, I'd rather have unused cap space this year and go into next year's FA market with a lot of money to throw around, than lock up some mediocre free agent from this year's class on a 4 year deal who will be using cap space in 2008, 2009, 2010, etc.

Toad
02-25-2007, 10:10 PM
You understand that the acceleration is only in "cap dollars" and has nothing to do with how much Hunt has to pay out, right? All that money has already been paid,

Thanks. I probably did not use the right wording. What is the right way to say that? Maybe, accerates the bonus against the cap?

Sully
02-25-2007, 10:11 PM
Thanks. I probably did not use the right wording. What is the right way to say that? Maybe, accerates the bonus against the cap?

Yeah, that's right. You were just talking about a 30-some million dollar check Hunt would have to pay, which he won't. That's why you had me confused as to your thinking.

ROYC75
02-25-2007, 10:23 PM

This would be stupid, we are not just one or 2 players away.

Laz is right.

Pitt Gorilla
02-25-2007, 10:29 PM
Chiefs should be looking to make a bold move in the draft and trade up to land Joe Thomas or Levi BrownYeah, take D'Brick in the first instead of Marcus McNeill in the second. The bonus is you lose picks!!!

Extra Point
02-25-2007, 10:37 PM
Finding a value play like LJ is not likely to happen again.

Drafting well after the first round is better than FA. That's why we would be better off picking CB in round 1. Drafting solely on need in the first round is not as productive.

(I looked at what John Tait is getting from Chicago, and thought, no wonder we let him go.)

el borracho
02-25-2007, 11:52 PM
Not that it matters but I would prefer it if the Chiefs didn't do much at all in free agency this year and I certainly don't want to see us trading up in the draft. There are just too many holes to be filled with any kind of quick-fix.

beer bacon
02-26-2007, 02:06 AM
Maybe Jared Allen?

If any team is stupid enough to give up a 1st and 3rd for Allen, it is the Redskins.

beer bacon
02-26-2007, 02:16 AM
Finding a value play like LJ is not likely to happen again.

Drafting well after the first round is better than FA. That's why we would be better off picking CB in round 1. Drafting solely on need in the first round is not as productive.

(I looked at what John Tait is getting from Chicago, and thought, no wonder we let him go.)

Sometimes the best picks don't look like value picks at all on the day of the draft. See Hali, Tamba.

Also, I think as long as we are playing the cover 2, we shouldn't be picking CBs early. The two most important attributes for CBs in our system are tackling ability and ball skills. We don't really need the great cover corners or guys with blazing speed that you see go in round one every season.

We should be looking for the corners that have shown they can play zone and tackle well, but are dropping in the draft because they ran a 4.5 in the forty instead of 4.3. Those are the CBs that would be great value and good fits for our defense.

Mecca
02-26-2007, 02:41 AM
Hopefully this means Kawika Mitchell won't be back.

Chiefs=Good
02-26-2007, 03:21 AM
Im all for free agents just as long as we target youger playes, not another 33 year old player which we will have to replace with another next year, we cant be going round in circles :)