PDA

View Full Version : ***Oficial Grammer & Speling Nazi Thread***

Ari Chi3fs
02-26-2007, 11:17 PM
Okay ya'll... we make mistakes, and some our very hard to fix. Their are many problems that many of us morans do two often. Its rediculous.

So, Im thinking we help out the fellow folk and all learn together to.

Ok. What would be the way to separate this sentence.

"We are very, very small, going very, very fast."

Is it with a comma after small or a semicolon?

Cochise
02-26-2007, 11:19 PM
Are spelling nazis welcome in the "grammer" thread?

Ari Chi3fs
02-26-2007, 11:20 PM
well, it depends. I guess speling and grammer nazis would be allowed here.

SPchief
02-26-2007, 11:21 PM
Grammar?

Ari Chi3fs
02-26-2007, 11:21 PM
There, I edited the tittle so all people feel welcome.

Lzen
02-26-2007, 11:22 PM
:)

Ari Chi3fs
02-26-2007, 11:22 PM
i love how people sometimes miss the obvious

Ari Chi3fs
02-26-2007, 11:23 PM
Thank you, LZen... that is a very helpful addition and fine contribution to this thread.

so people... a comma or semicolon?

SPchief
02-26-2007, 11:24 PM
i love how people sometimes miss the obvious.

Obviously.

recxjake
02-26-2007, 11:25 PM
I'll be the first to admit that the internet is ruining my grammar! I used to follow all the rules... now I do everything wrong!

leviw
02-26-2007, 11:26 PM
"We are very, very small; going very, very fast."

Lzen
02-26-2007, 11:28 PM
Damnit? Do you guys not know how to use proper punctuation!

SNR
02-26-2007, 11:30 PM
It would be improper to use a semicolon since "going very, very fast" contains no subject; it is an incomplete clause. That last sentence was a complete clause. See what I mean?

It would be poor to use a comma, because the word order is just plain f'ed up. "Going very, very, fast" is describing "we," therefore it is used as an appositve modifier. The correct way to word this sentence would be:

We, going very, very fast, are very, very small.

Thank you.

88TG88
wtf is a semicolon

SNR
"We are very, very small; going very, very fast."BZZT! WONG!

BigRedChief
http://www.forumspile.com/Spelling-DictionaryNazi.gif

StcChief
02-26-2007, 11:31 PM
Well Firefox has add on to keep spelling errors out......
Try it. works automagically. (this was underlined but I let it go).

leviw
02-26-2007, 11:36 PM
It would be improper to use a semicolon since "going very, very fast" contains no subject; it is an incomplete clause. That last sentence was a complete clause. See what I mean?

It would be poor to use a comma, because the word order is just plain f'ed up. "Going very, very, fast" is describing "we," therefore it is used as an appositve modifier. The correct way to word this sentence would be:

Thank you.

In most cases, you would be right...

HOWEVER...

A semicolon can also be as a "super comma" to make meaning clear in a sentence where commas are already being used for other purposes. A common example of this use is to separate the items of a list when some of the items themselves contain commas, in this case the list of "very"s

Rausch
Are spelling nazis welcome in the "grammer" thread?

Of course.

That's where we lure people into the...um...LD classes.

Yup, that's it...

Fat Elvis
I dunno, the spelling and grammar nazis aren't nearly as nauseating as the repost gestapo.

Count Alex's Losses
02-26-2007, 11:38 PM
Semicolons suck ass.

banyon
02-26-2007, 11:42 PM
Rep for correctly punctuating the following sentence first:

THAT THAT IS IS THAT THAT IS NOT IS NOT

Count Alex's Losses
02-26-2007, 11:44 PM
THAT THAT IS, IS THAT THAT IS NOT, IS NOT.

Rausch
02-26-2007, 11:47 PM
THAT THAT IS, IS THAT THAT IS NOT, IS NOT.

And?

Ari Chi3fs
02-26-2007, 11:47 PM

Thank you.

Wow. You are the man to ask, I see. I thank you for your well-thought response.

So, your sentence sounds like shit. heh.

How about, 'We are both very, very small and going very, very fast.'?

BigRedChief
02-26-2007, 11:49 PM
And the sad part for you frigging grammer and spelling Nazi's is when you remember that myself and my lousy ass grammer and spelling made a living as a writer for a few years and enough for me to travel around the world.
:p

leviw
02-26-2007, 11:50 PM
Wow. You are the man to ask, I see. I thank you for your well-thought response.

I feel that my points were ignored.

BigRedChief
02-26-2007, 11:51 PM
Arguing on an internet BB over grammer is so frigging lame. Let it go.

Ari Chi3fs
02-26-2007, 11:54 PM

I just noticed your badassness. Rep was provided.

leviw
02-26-2007, 11:54 PM
Arguing on an internet BB over grammer is so frigging lame. Let it go.

I'm trying to get to 3,000 before I go to bed. Leave me alone.

leviw
02-26-2007, 11:55 PM
I just noticed your badassness. Rep was provided.

Oh, I wasn't politicking for a rep. I just wanted to make sure my point got through.

But thank you just the same.

Ari Chi3fs
02-26-2007, 11:57 PM
dude, levi... you should be like Bernie Mac in the movie, Mr. 3000. And retire from CP at 2999. You are way underappreciated around here, and I feel it may be time for you to spread your wings and fly.

heh.

leviw
02-27-2007, 12:03 AM
dude, levi... you should be like Bernie Mac in the movie, Mr. 3000. And retire from CP at 2999. You are way underappreciated around here, and I feel it may be time for you to spread your wings and fly.

heh.

Wow. I'm touched, and a rep to you for the kind words.

But truth is, I'd be lost without this board.

Rausch
02-27-2007, 12:06 AM

Understandably.

Like me - you've grown up with goon-tards and linguistic-degenerates most of your upbringing.

Most of the trogs in the country we live in can't properly communicate in our own native tongue. And since the minority (educated Americans) are being pushed further and further away from caring about such things b@st@rds such as SNR and myself will soon go the way of the Trilobite.

But not without our strong tasting lagers...

Rausch
02-27-2007, 12:07 AM
I'm trying to get to 3,000 before I go to bed. Leave me alone.

Done.

leviw
02-27-2007, 12:10 AM
Done.

I'm aware.

Ari Chi3fs
02-27-2007, 12:23 AM
Understandably.

Like me - you've grown up with goon-tards and linguistic-degenerates most of your upbringing.

Most of the trogs in the country we live in can't properly communicate in our own native tongue. And since the minority (educated Americans) are being pushed further and further away from caring about such things b@st@rds such as SNR and myself will soon go the way of the Trilobite.

But not without our strong tasting lagers...

You should have your own syndicated blog. People need to listen to you.

Halfcan
02-27-2007, 12:31 AM
I LIKE WHEN PEOPLE POST IN LARGE CAPS FOR NO FUGGIN REASON AT ALL!!!!!

SNR
02-27-2007, 12:32 AM
Understandably.

But not without our strong tasting lagers...Totally agree. I'm not that desperate that I'll do something stupid like move out to the east coast.

You know, I learned most of my grammar for English by studying German. Keeping track of cases in accusative and dative forms went a long way and translated well to English. And of course, English made things much easier because "the apple" is "the apple." It's not masculine, feminine, or neuter. It's just an apple.

How about we screw Spanish being taught in our schools and make our kids speak German? It would make our nation more diverse, kids would have an easier time learning general grammar, and we could still shoot the bird to the assholes who want Spanish to be a 2nd language in the United States. That plan is fool-proof, in my opinion.

Halfcan
02-27-2007, 12:33 AM
Its also real cute when people start a sentence......

then skip to the bottom to keep you in suspense.

greg63
02-27-2007, 12:51 AM
Greatest thread ever.

Rausch
02-27-2007, 12:54 AM
I'm aware.

Much like Sandra Levy...

Rausch
02-27-2007, 01:03 AM
Totally agree. I'm not that desperate that I'll do something stupid like move out to the east coast.

You know, I learned most of my grammar for English by studying German. Keeping track of cases in accusative and dative forms went a long way and translated well to English. And of course, English made things much easier because "the apple" is "the apple." It's not masculine, feminine, or neuter. It's just an apple.

In a state lead by drunken Krauts, in a Kraut town, Deutsch isn't even taught here.

I'm dumbfounded.

The state capital of Missouri won't even recognize German now.

How about we screw Spanish being taught in our schools and make our kids speak German? It would make our nation more diverse, kids would have an easier time learning general grammar, and we could still shoot the bird to the assholes who want Spanish to be a 2nd language in the United States. That plan is fool-proof, in my opinion.

I am already prepared to make ze zeggs vis you in a cramped vookes-vagen ...

Baconeater
02-27-2007, 01:24 AM
I LIKE WHEN PEOPLE POST IN LARGE CAPS FOR NO FUGGIN REASON AT ALL!!!!!
THEY DO IT BECAUSE WHAT THEY ARE SAYING IS FAR MORE IMPORTANT THAN WHAT EVERYONE ELSE IS SAYING.

Guru
02-27-2007, 01:27 AM
THEY DO IT BECAUSE WHAT THEY ARE SAYING IS FAR MORE IMPORTANT THAN WHAT EVERYONE ELSE IS SAYING.
Or their caps lock or shift key is stuck.

Baconeater
02-27-2007, 01:29 AM
Or their caps lock or shift key is stuck.
Or because they want to hide the fact that they have no ****ing clue when to capitalize a word and when not to.

SPchief
02-27-2007, 01:44 AM
Or because they want to hide the fact that they have no ****ing clue when to capitalize a word and when not to.

Or it's because they are retards.

ExtremeChief
02-27-2007, 04:09 AM
WTF is? going, on. here;

Dartgod
02-27-2007, 07:33 AM
I can't believe no one has said it yet...

YOUR AND IDIOT!

Cochise
02-27-2007, 07:37 AM
For my money, if you are an adult who claims to have a high school diploma and you still don't know how to spell common words in the English language, or you still don't know basic principles of word usage like there/their, to/too/two, your/you're, or how to write a complete sentence, you deserve to be made fun of.

plbrdude
02-27-2007, 08:04 AM
For my money, if you are an adult who claims to have a high school diploma and you still don't know how to spell common words in the English language, or you still don't know basic principles of word usage like there/their, to/too/two, your/you're, or how to write a complete sentence, you deserve to be made fun of.

i stand in agreement with that statement.
p.s. i don't capitalize because i'm lazy, not because i don't know when to.