PDA

View Full Version : KC roster = complete mess

booger
02-27-2007, 04:31 AM
Current KC roster By position:

QB.
Players with cap or other issues, possible cuts/trade.
Green, Big cap# Age.
Huard: UFA

Others:
Croyle Printers Jacobs: NFLEL

RB.
L J : needs contract ext. or possible but unlikely trade.
Dee Brown UFA
Holmes: retire or cut. Big contract still on books.
Ronnie Cruz: RFA no compensation if signed elsewhere.

Others: Derrick Ross, NFLEL TE/FB Kris Wilson Greg Hanoin
Boomer Grisby, moved to FB from LB.

TE
Dunn: Injuries and age plus big cap#

Others: Gonzalez TE/Long snapper Adam Johnson Keith Willis

OL Center
Weigmann: Retire? Big cap #, doesn’t fit the offense. Bober. Big cap#
Others: Rudy Niswanger

OG
Shields. Will he retire? Welbourn. Big cap # and 1 suspension away from sitting out the year.

Others: Waters, Rob Hunt NFLEL Tre Stallings NFLEL

OT
Black UFA, Sampson RFA 7th rd comp, Turley : injuries/big cap#, Plus Roaf’s cap # still on the books.
Others: Ramiro Prudena, Chris Terry, Will Svitek

DE
Allen RFA, 1st and 3rd comp. Wants trade and or big new contract.
Hicks. Cut/big cap #
Wilkerson UFA
Others: Tamba Hali, Montez Murphy

DT
James Reed UFA Edwards UFA Sims, big disappointment plus high cap #
NOTE; Tim Sandidge signed with the rams. We must have not offered him a contract for this season. Stephen Williams is not on the roster so he was likely cut.
Others: Brian Howard.

LB
Bell, big cap #, Scanlon and Griffin RFA, no comp as is apparently Key Fox. According to the star article on the players cap #’s, he has no ’07 contract. 3rd rd pick if he signs elsewhere. Mitchell UFA
Others: DJ , Kershaw, Nick Reid NFLEL, and Timi Freakin Wusu

CB
Sapp is a RFA no comp, Surtain has the second highest cap# on the team and could be tradeable, Law is declining and has a big roster bonus. Walls is an UFA
Others: Michael Bragg, Dimitri patterson, Zach Norton, Marcus Maxey, Justin Phinisee

S
Wesley we might be able to trade. Big cap #. As does Knight who maybe we could get to take a pay cut. Bartee is burning up 1Million plus currently on our cap as well.
Others: Page, Pollard, Robb Butler

K/P/LS
Tynes is an UFA as is Gammon
Others: Colquitt.

Sorry, Long, but formatt is readable this time.

So again the question is: Why not blow up this roster while the timing is almost perfect?

Guru
02-27-2007, 04:33 AM
No argument from me blowing it up. Carl will NOT even consider rebuilding at this stage though. He has 4 years left to try and make it happen. He will continue with trying to patch holes.

booger
02-27-2007, 04:33 AM
trying to reformat that mess.

booger
02-27-2007, 05:14 AM
I just find it sickening looking over the roster. I can't remember an offseason where it was THIS bad with THIS man players who were: considering retirment, basically have no intention of playing but still busting our cap ( roaf and holmes ), ages 32 up to 37 with huge cap #'s, or having this many over paid bums on the roster.

Other than Huard, Wilkerson, Reed, and Edwards, I could care less whether or not we resign our UFA's.

Any RFA's we can match any offer. I really hope someone is stupid enough to go after Parker so we can get a 4th rounder we wasted on Michael Bennett.

booger
02-27-2007, 05:31 AM
And look at our depth or lack there of should i say for a moment.

TE is a concern behind TG. Dunn is old and injuries are catching up. Wilson is a FB/HB. Other than that we have nothing.

the Oline is a damn mess. We need at least 2 FA signings and probably a high pick on a OT and a 3rd on up pick on a C or G. Depending on Shields and Wiegmann, who I hope both call it quits.

DL is downright scary. Hali, Murphy, Brian Howard. That's it right now. Assuming Hicks and Sims are cut. Wilkerson, Reed, and Edwards I would welcome back. But we need some more impact there. Reed, Edwards, and Wilkerson very well might get offers out there for money we shouldn't match to pay them with a very thin DL market. I think Reed is 30, but both edwards and wilkerson are around 27-28 and might find decent deals with all the teams with so much cap room. Not forgetting about Allen here. We will probably miss him for 4 games as we get cornholed when it comes to league suspension descisions. Plus, with his pissy mood I almost wish we would tender him lower for just a 1st rd pick as compensation.

With the lack of bodies on the DL we should move Hali to OLB and play a 34. Then Bell might play worth a crap for a change. Only half kidding on the 3-4.

not to mention problems at CB, LB, and WR.

Hell, we can't even fill half the problems on our roster with only 6 draft picks.

Way to go Carl. :banghead: :cuss: Tell Hitler high in hell you worthless POS. :cuss: :cuss:

King_Chief_Fan
02-27-2007, 07:22 AM
I just find it sickening looking over the roster. I can't remember an offseason where it was THIS bad with THIS man players who were: considering retirment, basically have no intention of playing but still busting our cap ( roaf and holmes ), ages 32 up to 37 with huge cap #'s, or having this many over paid bums on the roster.

Other than Huard, Wilkerson, Reed, and Edwards, I could care less whether or not we resign our UFA's.

Any RFA's we can match any offer. I really hope someone is stupid enough to go after Parker so we can get a 4th rounder we wasted on Michael Bennett.

I don't understand the cap #'s for guys like Roaf and Holmes. Holmes I kind of understand due to him getting a paycheck for sitting in Texas eating Nachos. Roaf? I thought he retired. If a player retires what is the rule about their contract?

ck_IN
02-27-2007, 08:09 AM
Face it gang, this is an old team and it's aged out before our eyes. Bad FA signings coupled with bad drafting have condemed us to this. The good news is that last years draft was better then all of the previous five combined.

A few more good drafts, some more cutting of the deadwood and staying away from the flashy FA signing will go along way to fixing our problems. Will CP do that? I have my doubts since he wants to fill the seats and sub .500 teams usually don't do that, but that's what it'll take.

We're just going to have to suck it up and take our lumps for a bit.

booger
02-27-2007, 08:15 AM
I don't understand the cap #'s for guys like Roaf and Holmes. Holmes I kind of understand due to him getting a paycheck for sitting in Texas eating Nachos. Roaf? I thought he retired. If a player retires what is the rule about their contract?

Not sure what's going on there either. Unless he hasn't filled out his retirment papers with the league or plans on trying to play this year. I think his comment on playing this year was probably to get people of his back trying to have him reconsider last year. Maybe we couldn't take the cap hit it would cause last year so he is still on the books? Maybe someone else can explain this.

All I know is Teicher had him listed for a big cap# this coming season.

stevieray
02-27-2007, 08:15 AM
Face it gang, this is an old team and it's aged out before our eyes. Bad FA signings coupled with bad drafting have condemed us to this. The good news is that last years draft was better then all of the previous five combined.

A few more good drafts, some more cutting of the deadwood and staying away from the flashy FA signing will go along way to fixing our problems. Will CP do that? I have my doubts since he wants to fill the seats and sub .500 teams usually don't do that, but that's what it'll take.

true....

booger
02-27-2007, 08:19 AM

With Herm's desire to get younger and better drafting I would love to see us cut as much deadweight as the cap allows, peddle LJ, Dante Hall, and wesley for picks and rebuild. It would be great to have more picks in this years draft.

Hell, there was an article twards the end of the season with our losing streak that even mentioned " Herm Edwards wants to blow up KC's roster" somewhere on the net. Foxsports IIRC.

All I've heard on the net this offseason is Carl says it aint happening.

ck_IN
02-27-2007, 08:42 AM
<i>All I've heard on the net this offseason is Carl says it aint happening.</i>

And therein lies the problem. After Marty left the team should've been blown up, a young HC hired and a new identity formed. Instead we went with Gun and patched holes. After Gun was fired on the internet we could've rebuilt but we got Gramps Vermeil. My hate of DV is well known so I won't get into it but here we are.

The common thread is that CP won't do what it really takes to build a winner. He keeps patching holes, signing a flashy FA or hiring a big name head coach so butts will fill seats.

As for trading Wesley and Hall does anyone think they'd be worth anything? I doubt it. I would trade LJ in a minute if someone dangled a #1 and one or two other picks in front of me. The guy is a cancer waiting to happen.

booger
02-27-2007, 08:53 AM
Hall might attract teams looking for a returner. I think we could get a 5th or sixth maybe.

Wesley has a good number of picks under his belt and would need to be pared with a good sidekick at safety with his lack of leadership skills, but yeah I'd say he is tradable as well.

Demonpenz
02-27-2007, 08:57 AM
how many years in a row do we have to take our lumps

Brock
02-27-2007, 09:01 AM
I'd like to know what the Chiefs were supposed to do about Roaf and Holmes' "big cap #". It's not like they can just stop paying. Secondly, if all these guys are considering retirement, and you're assuming a bunch of other guys are going to be cut, isn't that "blowing up the roster"?

el borracho
02-27-2007, 09:06 AM
Yep, the Vermeil era really effed us. I would actually say that Vermeil left the club in worse shape than Schottenheimer and Cunningham. The only positive is that we are not over the cap.

boogblaster
02-27-2007, 09:11 AM
Large water-hose maxium pressure..

jspchief
02-27-2007, 09:11 AM
This is what happens when you keep trying to make moves to "get over the hump". The Titans did this a few years back while trying to extend the Eddie George/Steve McNair glory years.

We really didn't have a choice on offense. It's not like they were going to disband that O just because they might retire/get old.

The real problem is rooted in the large contracts that we gave to old veteran FAs like Law, Surtain, and Knight. And the defensive bums that we re-signed.

At the end of the day, we are paying the price for unsuccessfully trying to build a defense for 5 straight years.

booger
02-27-2007, 09:36 AM
I'd like to know what the Chiefs were supposed to do about Roaf and Holmes' "big cap #". It's not like they can just stop paying. Secondly, if all these guys are considering retirement, and you're assuming a bunch of other guys are going to be cut, isn't that "blowing up the roster"?

Holmes is just waiting to "get clearance to play" which I'd bet he has no intentions of doing, at least not here. I don't know why Roaf is still on the books. I thought he officially retire last year. If that's the case why does he count against this years cap and not just last years? I'll admit I know nothing of how this cap crap works. How many years does a retired player stay on the cap? If anyone could explain.

Shields and Wiegmann are the only ones I know of considering retirement asside from possibly Holmes, maybe Turley and his 1.2 M cap figure as well. If they go and that leaves Waters as the only returning OL from the glory days. I hope we could have luck filling the holes but there will be growing pains I'm sure. Which brings me to Green. It sure won't look very pretty watching him scramble around trying to throw passes off his back foot trying to make a play. I just don't see him staying here and being very sucessful or healthy.

Probably end up keeping Welbourn and Bober with the uncertain OLine problems. Kennison probably gets another year.

We need bodies period right now on the DLine. That would possibly save Sims and Hick's jobs allthough I'll be suprised if both didn't get cut.

One of Knight or Wesley needs to stay to Push Pollard to earn a starting spot.

Bell doesn't fit the scheme but he will probably stay.

I'd say Bartee is a no brainer for being cut.

I don't know, just looking it all over i'd be tempted to cut all of the following:

Green, Law, Roaf, Kennison, Bell, Hicks, Wesley, Sims, Holmes, Bartee, Bober, Welbourn, Knight, Turley, but I doubt that would happen.

Plus trade or cut Wesley, and Hall.

I would take that with No FA signings and draft picks plus undrafted rookie FA's to fill the roster and be in good cap shape next year with one of the youngest rosters in the league. We would have a top 10 pick next year more than likely but would also get plenty of PT for younger players.

Just my thoughts.

sd4chiefs
02-27-2007, 10:37 AM
When I look at the Chargers roster I just want to vomit. At least their coaching staff is in shambles.

ChiefsCountry
02-27-2007, 10:41 AM
SD is going to be screwed with Norv Turner as head coach, Oakland is already screwed, and Denver is Denver. I want to go to a rebuilt mode but gosh we have a great chance to win the division this year.

Woodrow Call
02-27-2007, 10:43 AM
When you draft like crap for 5 years this what your roster looks like. Paper thin with no youth ready to replace the older guys. DV and Carl made quite a mess.

ChiefsCountry
02-27-2007, 10:46 AM
When you draft like crap for 5 years this what your roster looks like. Paper thin with no youth ready to replace the older guys. DV and Carl made quite a mess.

I'm going to blame it more on DV that Carl. DV didnt like younger players and the early drafts killed us, the 01 and 02 drafts should be the base of this team and we have nothing to show from them. I could live with the first round trade for Green in 01, that was alright but the trade up for Sims killed this team. We got a bust in the first and lost a 3rd round pick out of the deal.

Ebolapox
02-27-2007, 10:47 AM
nothing that a bowl of antifreeze won't fix

Brock
02-27-2007, 10:57 AM
SD is going to be screwed with Norv Turner as head coach, Oakland is already screwed, and Denver is Denver. I want to go to a rebuilt mode but gosh we have a great chance to win the division this year.

No, not really. Huh uh.

ck_IN
02-27-2007, 11:00 AM
<i>but gosh we have a great chance to win the division this year.</i>

And then what? Maybe we get lucky and host a wildcard game where we just maybe squeak out a win, then get our heads handed to us in the divisional round?

A playoff pretender appearance really doesn't mean that much. I'd just as soon not have it.

thehead
02-27-2007, 11:03 AM
how many years in a row do we have to take our lumps

100% agree

booger
02-27-2007, 11:39 PM
Well the QB spot is shaping up nicely anyway.