PDA

View Full Version : Bomb Threat at UMR

ChiefsCountry
02-27-2007, 10:50 AM
http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070227/BREAKING01/70227010

Appreantly it was an international student who made the threat.

Fried Meat Ball!
02-27-2007, 10:51 AM
http://www.nbcactionnews.com/kshb/nw_local_news/article/0,1925,KSHB_9424_5381720,00.html

Standoff with student shuts down Missouri campus

ROLLA, Mo. (AP) – Nearly two dozen people were being decontaminated Tuesday after a white, powdery substance was found on a student who claimed to have a bomb and threatened "terrorist-type" actions at the University of Missouri-Rolla, officials said.

The man, described as an international graduate student depressed about his grades, also claimed to have anthrax, according to police. School officials said "possible bomb materials" were found when he was taken into custody.

Twenty-three people were sent through a decontamination process Tuesday morning outside the university's civil engineering building, where a police standoff with the student had started around 2:30 a.m.

Acting Police Chief Mark Kearse said that when police arrived the student was holding a knife and that he held up a bag and said: "This is a bomb." He also claimed to have anthrax.

Police used a stun gun to subdue him and found a note in which the student threatened to destroy the building, Kearse said.

Mayor William Jenks and Kearse said the student had been distraught over his grades, which may have led to the incident. Jenks said the student, whose identity and nationality were not released, "had problems and was depressed."

The 5,850-student technological research and engineering campus in south-central Missouri was shut down during the incident and classes were canceled for the day while officers investigated. The Fort Leonard Wood Explosive Operations Division was investigating the possibility that a bomb may be in the building.

"We have no hard evidence that there's anything wrong in the building but we simply can't take a chance," Jenks said. "We're taking a very cautious approach."

JimNasium
02-27-2007, 10:52 AM
That's a hell of a way to get out of an engineering test.

Redrum_69
02-27-2007, 10:53 AM
Freedom of Speech.....

ChiefsCountry
02-27-2007, 10:54 AM
Knowing how UMR is, he probally is depressed about the lack of pussy, that and being an international student wouldnt be getting any of it anyways.

Redrum_69
02-27-2007, 10:56 AM
Rolla is a rockin town.

That whole area down there at Montauk ...Salem...

Nothing like tubing down through Pulltight.

and the women that inhabit that area during the peak summer months...I need to have a summer home down there.

Redrum_69
02-27-2007, 11:00 AM
http://currentriver.net/current_river_map1.htm

Redrum_69
02-27-2007, 11:01 AM
Knowing how UMR is, he probally is depressed about the lack of pussy, that and being an international student wouldnt be getting any of it anyways.

Thats what all the outsiders say.

People used to say the same about the chicks at Nevada Mo..at the Cottie College

They just say that to keep people from checking the towns out.

ChiefsCountry
02-27-2007, 11:04 AM

People used to say the same about the chicks at Nevada Mo..at the Cottie College

My best friend went to school there for a year, he told me from first hand knowledge.

greg63
02-27-2007, 11:05 AM
Just saw this on the news; the guy wanted to commit suicide by forcing the police to take him out, but the police used a stun gun on him instead - idiot. :shake:

Fried Meat Ball!
02-27-2007, 11:07 AM
:shake: You KNOW you're a loser when you can't even kill yourself right.

ChiefsCountry
02-27-2007, 11:09 AM
The news here in Springfield reported that the hard part is now trying to keep the student's nationality hidden until everything can be released.

Cochise
02-27-2007, 11:11 AM
My best friend went to school there for a year, he told me from first hand knowledge.

I have never heard someone from UMR say anything differently either.

kepp
02-27-2007, 11:14 AM
I have never heard someone from UMR say anything differently either.
I went there for a year and can confirm the speculation.

patteeu
02-27-2007, 11:19 AM

:spock:

Redrum_69
02-27-2007, 11:22 AM

Ok, youre all right, what do I know. This was 98, 99, and 00 and a few times in 01. Going to school there didnt mean shit, I'm talking Rolla in general. You guys must have stayed in your dorms all the time

patteeu
02-27-2007, 11:24 AM
Ok, youre all right, what do I know. This was 98, 99, and 00 and a few times in 01. Going to school there didnt mean shit, I'm talking Rolla in general. You guys must have stayed in your dorms all the time

Have you ever been to another campus for the sake of comparison?

Rain Man
02-27-2007, 11:25 AM
I wonder if he threatened to blow up the Explosives Lab. If so, it might've just been a class project.

Cochise
02-27-2007, 11:50 AM

I work with a few people from there. My cousin played baseball there. All of them said the same thing. "There are a whole lot of women in Rolla, but not very many."

Redrum_69
02-27-2007, 12:01 PM
Have you ever been to another campus for the sake of comparison?

KU, Pittsburg, KSU, OSU....to name a few

gblowfish
02-27-2007, 12:09 PM
Let's send Endelt down to interrogate him.

Good thing he didn't pull this crap around St. Pats.
They woulda dragged him thru the slime pit.

Demonpenz
02-27-2007, 12:32 PM
must have watched their footbal team

InChiefsHell
02-27-2007, 12:39 PM
Wonder why they won't release his nationality...:hmmm:

duncan_idaho
02-27-2007, 01:14 PM
I know a lot of people from Rolla... natives, students, etc...

Every single one has talked about how few girls go to UMR, and how ever fewer good looking girls go there.

I spent a little time in the town myself ... I had a girlfriend who was a native and went to a few UMR parties with her and her friends from HS... highly unimpressive. (The girls, not the parties - there was some serious drinking done)

rageeumr
02-27-2007, 01:21 PM
If you are a decent looking dude with any hint of a personality, you can do just fine there. The lack of hot chicks is offset by the number of dudes who are too busy playing WoW to leave their room. As the girls in Rolla say "The odds are good, but the goods are odd"

I met my wife there. She is neither overweight nor unattractive. But no, I'm not posting pictures.

Pitt Gorilla
02-27-2007, 01:28 PM

They just say that to keep people from checking the towns out.Cottie girls?!? Ugh.

patteeu
02-27-2007, 01:39 PM
KU, Pittsburg, KSU, OSU....to name a few

Oh, that explains it. Hope your luck turns soon. :thumb:

Cochise
02-27-2007, 02:07 PM
This is awesome.

And they even have the name spelled "Camero" in the image name.

UMR Police Department adds a ‘91 Camaro to the squad

http://themissouriminer.com/images/stories/2007_01_25/cutout camero.jpg

The UMR police department has a new squad car that’s anything but a typical squad car. A typical squad car doesn’t have a blue neon under car light kit, or a license plate that reads “UMR-ROKS.” Then again, a typical squad car isn’t a ’91 Chevrolet Camaro RS.
The specialty squad car is the result of the efforts of Officer Rick Walls. Officer Walls has been in law enforcement since 1986, working for the Sheriff’s Department in Crawford County for twenty years. He has assisted the Major Case Squad in numerous cases and received training from the FBI, DEA and CIA. He came to work for the UMR Police Department in January of 2006. Officer Walls approached his director in the fall of 2006 and asked him if he could try to get a specialty car donated to the squad, the kind of car that UMR students would be drawn to. “It’s [meant to be] similar to the D.A.R.E. vehicle that many police departments have, but it’s aimed towards college students. He gave me the go ahead. He kind of challenged me to see if I could get a car donated,” said Officer Walls. “I got this one. It was perfect: it had everything we needed and was exactly what we were looking for.”
The squad car is fully tricked out with 5.0 liter fuel injected, 5-speed, T-tops, ceramic coated headers, Flow Master exhaust with 3 inch pipes, 17 inch American Racing wheels, low profile Kumho 17x40 tires front and back, Pioneer sound system with Kicker Amp, and a blue neon under car light kit, as well as police emergency equipment. Despite this, the car hasn’t cost the University a dime. All the equipment and even the car itself was a donation.
Lance Mayfield of Farmers Insurance and Tim Taylor of Taylor’s Used Cars funded the donation of the Camaro. Marty Brockman of Brockman Electronics installed the necessary emergency equipment, and the UMR Mini Baja Team has plans to fabricate and install high performance racing parts. KKID 92.7, a local radio station, made a monetary donation to the Camaro, as well as the Triangle fraternity and Phi Kappa Theta. Officer Walls also received donations and assistance from The University Bookstore, The Havener Bookstore, Lisa Olds, Candy Pitman, Sgt. Letha Young, Officer Dan Hickey and Jim Hatchett of UMR security.
Officer Walls uses the Camaro as a squad car, but he also plans on bringing it to car shows, parades, UMR sporting events and Pro Days. The car has real value as a squad car, however it also can create other impacts.
“We’re trying to use it as a PR tool to recruit new students. UMR has the Formula Racing Team, the Solar Car Team, the Baja Team, and the Human Powered Vehicle Team. It is also geared towards the gear heads and muscle car fans…. I want our students to feel like they can approach the campus police with needs and questions. I want them to feel comfortable when I am around and I think our Camaro Police Car will send a positive message to them that we are still human and enjoy a bad ride even while on duty,” said Officer Walls.
“So far everyone who has seen it has really liked it. It’s given a chance for us to meet the students and change what they’ve thought of us for years. It’s available to any student who would like to view it, have it at a function or come on a ride along,” said Officer Walls.
Officer Walls is still collecting sponsorships for the Police Camaro, and hopes to add more specialty vehicles to the force in the future.
Officer Walls can be contacted at wallsr@umr.edu.

Pitt Gorilla
02-27-2007, 02:13 PM
This is awesome.

And they even have the name spelled "Camero" in the image name.Officer Walls noted that "the kids" also regularly compliment him on his Zubaz and Brylcreem-shined mane. "Hey, what can I say? My look is tight."

rageeumr
02-27-2007, 02:28 PM
KKID 92.7, a local radio station, made a monetary donation to the Camaro, as well as the Triangle fraternity and Phi Kappa Theta.

So let me get this straight. My fraternity made a donation to help the CAMPUS POLICE buy a '91 Camaro. What a waste of beer money. :shake:

Demonpenz
02-27-2007, 02:29 PM
should have just donated your firebird

kepp
02-27-2007, 02:29 PM
I know a lot of people from Rolla... natives, students, etc...

Every single one has talked about how few girls go to UMR, and how ever fewer good looking girls go there.

I spent a little time in the town myself ... I had a girlfriend who was a native and went to a few UMR parties with her and her friends from HS... highly unimpressive. (The girls, not the parties - there was some serious drinking done)
That's why I only went there for one year. I was WAY too into the partying and almost flunked out my first year.

kepp
02-27-2007, 02:31 PM
So let me get this straight. My fraternity made a donation to help the CAMPUS POLICE buy a '91 Camaro. What a waste of beer money. :shake:
"She'll buff out."
http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/columbia_pictures/joe_dirt/david_spade/joedirt2.jpg

Rain Man
02-27-2007, 02:37 PM
If I had it to do over again, I would've gone to one of the Seven Sisters.

RedDread
02-27-2007, 05:01 PM
One of my buddies works for the radio station and did an interview about the situation if you all want to listen.

For those who know the campus and the town this may make some sense:

http://soundmage.com/brooklyn/KMNR%20-%20Jay%20Goff%20Interview.mp3

Sam Hall
02-27-2007, 07:11 PM
I guess the guy went bullshiat crazy. Nothing says "I need help" quite like this. He was freaking lazered. Considering this happened at 2:30 a.m., I want to know how the other people were involved.

Rain Man
02-27-2007, 08:40 PM
One of my buddies works for the radio station and did an interview about the situation if you all want to listen.

For those who know the campus and the town this may make some sense:

http://soundmage.com/brooklyn/KMNR%20-%20Jay%20Goff%20Interview.mp3

Thanks for the link. In hearing "distraught" and "disturbed" about the student, my initial thinking is that he had Dr. Nelson for aerothermochemistry.

mounged
02-28-2007, 06:53 AM
OK guys you are killing me. I grew up in Rolla and graduated from UMR in 1982. It is a small town, but at St Pat's time students from all the other colleges use to come to our town and have a good time.

kepp
02-28-2007, 07:10 AM
OK guys you are killing me. I grew up in Rolla and graduated from UMR in 1982. It is a small town, but at St Pat's time students from all the other colleges use to come to our town and have a good time.
I went to UMR in 1990-91 - I have no recollection of most of St Pat's week. The one thing I do remember is stumbling across I-44 and running into the glass door of the north tower. I know it should've given me a terrible headache but, strangely, I don't remember that either.

And you're correct. During St Pat's week there is a definite influx from surrounding colleges.

patteeu
02-28-2007, 08:07 AM

When you were a senior in High School, were there any funny, balding guys in the freshman class who may have expressed an interest in international travel?

Rain Man
02-28-2007, 08:18 AM
When you were a senior in High School, were there any funny, balding guys in the freshman class who may have expressed an interest in international travel?

Yeah, the odds are pretty high that he tied me to the flagpole at some point.

And I'll have you know that I didn't start balding until I was 20.

Redrum_69
02-28-2007, 08:23 AM

Balding at 20?!?!?

WOW....Life in the jungle must have been tough...all the other gorillas making fun of you...

ENDelt260
02-28-2007, 08:34 AM
washers + homeland security

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/3991/n121200261303508232253ef6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Rain Man
02-28-2007, 08:35 AM
Balding at 20?!?!?

WOW....Life in the jungle must have been tough...all the other gorillas making fun of you...

Yeah, but it made me a much less attractive target for poachers, so I guess it all evened out.

patteeu
02-28-2007, 09:03 AM

LOL, what makes you think I meant you? I was just asking a general question. As Carly Simon said in her famous song, "You're so vain." :)

ChiefsCountry
02-28-2007, 11:01 AM
Just announced that it was student from India.

StcChief
02-28-2007, 11:02 AM

I'm thinking he's a FORMER Student at UMR

ChiefsCountry
02-28-2007, 11:06 AM
I'm thinking he's a FORMER Student at UMR

Deport his ass back.

Phobia
02-28-2007, 11:13 AM

What the? How can you take a bomb threat from an Indian seriously? Let him go already.

Rain Man
02-28-2007, 11:16 AM
LOL, what makes you think I meant you? I was just asking a general question. As Carly Simon said in her famous song, "You're so vain." :)

In my defense, I think everything's about me.

Dartgod
02-28-2007, 11:48 AM
Heh. The "white powdery substance" thought to be Anthrax turned out to be powdered sugar.

http://www.semissourian.com/story/1191614.html

Phobia
02-28-2007, 12:16 PM
Heh. The "white powdery substance" thought to be Anthrax turned out to be powdered sugar.

http://www.semissourian.com/story/1191614.html

Like I said, he was just making up a fabulous batch of ladoo. Release him!

kepp
02-28-2007, 01:02 PM
Like I said, he was just making up a fabulous batch of ladoo. Release him!
And I'm pretty sure he was saying, "BOM-bay!! I have to get to BOM-bay!"