PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins potentially interested in Trent Green

Sam Hall
02-27-2007, 10:00 PM
Dolphins have potential interest in Kansas City QB Green

By Alex Marvez
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted February 27 2007, 11:00 PM EST

INDIANAPOLIS -- As the Dolphins prepare to part ways with Joey Harrington, another veteran quarterback may be emerging on the team's radar.

The Dolphins would have interest in acquiring Kansas City's Trent Green if placed on the trading block by the Chiefs, a source said at the NFL Scouting Combine.

As of Tuesday, there were no indications Green is currently being dangled as trade bait by Kansas City. But should the Chiefs decide to head in a different direction at quarterback, the source said the Dolphins would entertain the possibility of trying to swing a deal.

The odds of such a scenario unfolding increased Tuesday with Kansas City re-signing quarterback Damon Huard to a three-year contract that FOX Sports reported is worth $7.5 million.

A Dolphins backup from 1997 to 2000, Huard posted a 5-3 record as a starter in 2006 while Green was sidelined with a serious concussion suffered in the season-opener against Cincinnati. When he returned to the starting lineup, Green struggled while playing in a new offense under first-year head coach Herman Edwards.

Although he became one of the AFC's top quarterbacks after his arrival in Kansas City in 2001, two other factors that may prompt the Chiefs to consider moving Green are his age - the 13-year veteran turns 37 in July -- and contract. The Kansas City Star reported Tuesday that the Chiefs are expected to ask Green to take a pay cut from his current 2007 base salary of $7.2 million.

Green would be an intriguing fit for the Dolphins, which enter the offseason with uncertainty at the quarterback position. Green played under new Dolphins coach Cam Cameron when both were with Washington from 1995 to 1998 and is familiar with the new offensive system that the latter is installing. New Dolphins quarterbacks coach Terry Shea also held that same position with the Chiefs while working with Green for four of the past five seasons.

As for Harrington, a source said he will be released later this week unless the Dolphins can trade him. That would leave Daunte Culpepper and Cleo Lemon as the team's top quarterbacks.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-227dolgreen,0,7920636.story?coll=sfla-sports-front

Pants
02-27-2007, 10:01 PM
Man, it's really going to hurt seeing Trent in a different uniform.

KcMizzou
02-27-2007, 10:04 PM
Man, it's really going to hurt seeing Trent in a different uniform.Agreed. He's been a good soldier... done everything that was asked of him. If there's an NFL player you can respect, he's the one.

I'll hate to see him go, but it seems likely.

Joie
Mixed feelings on this one. Don't want him starting for us if it turns out like last season. But, Hell, a Dolphin?! Not sure I like that either. Can't we keep him as a backup?

Mr. Kotter

He's 37....don't hold your breath.

Mecca
Hey if someone is willing to give us something for him we should probably jump on that.

KcMizzou
02-27-2007, 10:06 PM
Mixed feelings on this one. Don't want him starting for us if it turns out like last season. But, Hell, a Dolphin?! Not sure I like that either. Can't we keep him as a backup?Would you want to be a backup for the Chiefs if you were him? I hope he tears up the league if he goes. (except against KC)

Mr. Kotter
02-27-2007, 10:06 PM
Hey if someone is willing to give us something for him we should probably jump on that.

That's the point...they won't. He ain't going nowhere at 37....

Guru
02-27-2007, 10:08 PM
I love what Trent did for this franchise and he is a real stand up guy. However, I would agree with you on this.

Mecca
That's the point...they won't. He ain't going nowhere at 37....

Well if they offered anything we should probably take it considering we're going to cut the guy in another year anyway.

wutamess

No it isn't.
He's worn out his welcome here.

Not entirely his fault.

boogblaster
Yea mixed-bag here..hate to see him leave..but he's probably done as a starter ...

KcMizzou
02-27-2007, 10:09 PM
No it isn't.

Not entirely his fault.Not with me he hasn't. I do agree that he may not fit "the plan" now, though.

Mecca
02-27-2007, 10:10 PM
Not with me he hasn't. I do agree that he may not fit "the plan" now, though.

Well if he plays here another year his brain is probably going to go to complete jello......he just isn't equiped to play behind a line that isn't top notch.

KcMizzou
02-27-2007, 10:12 PM
Well if he plays here another year his brain is probably going to go to complete jello......he just isn't equiped to play behind a line that isn't top notch.Can't argue with that.

Mr. Kotter
02-27-2007, 10:19 PM
Can't argue with that.

Sure you can.

If he ain't gonna play here; he AIN'T gonna play in Miami.

They make our OL look good, by comparison.

Guru
02-27-2007, 10:23 PM
Can we trade our cheerleaders for theirs?

Deberg_1990
02-27-2007, 10:26 PM
Green will make a nice mentor there for Brady Quinn after the Phins draft him..

Eric
02-27-2007, 10:28 PM
He's a real good guy and stabilized that position for us.

Demonpenz
02-27-2007, 10:28 PM
maybe we can get a 3rd for him

Joie
02-27-2007, 10:32 PM
Would you want to be a backup for the Chiefs if you were him? I hope he tears up the league if he goes. (except against KC)
Wishful thinking. I'm gonna miss him if he goes. But if he no longer fits in with the Chiefs offense, there isn't much choice.

HMc
02-27-2007, 10:33 PM
if we can get anything for green we should take it. A trade would be preferable to cutting him with respect to salary cap outcomes, wouldn't it?

Pants
02-27-2007, 10:35 PM
No it isn't.

Not entirely his fault.

That's like your opinion, man.

Mr. Kotter
02-27-2007, 10:35 PM
Reality Check and QUESTION:

When was the LAST time, ANY team gave up ANYTHING for an overpaid 37 year old QB?

If the Dolphins are that dumb, God bless them.

But they aren't.

Count Zarth
02-27-2007, 10:37 PM
If ANYONE offers a trade for Trent, you take it.

milkman
02-27-2007, 10:37 PM
Green will make a nice mentor there for Brady Quinn after the Phins draft him..

He'd be great for them to have as they transition into the Coryell offense.

He's more familiar with than any player in the league today.

If the Dolphins want to offer anything of value for him, we'd be crazy to ignore them.

SPchief
02-27-2007, 10:38 PM

When was the LAST time, ANY team gave up ANYTHING for an overpaid 37 year old QB?

But they aren't.

This is the same team that signed Culpepper last year and Joey Harrington the year before.

Mr. Kotter
02-27-2007, 10:38 PM
If ANYONE offers a trade for Trent, you take it.

I agree in light of post # 24. :)

milkman
02-27-2007, 10:39 PM

But they aren't.

In this case, Trent would be a valuable asset to them because of his knowledge of the offense.

Demonpenz
we traded for joe montana when he was 37

BigRock

But they aren't.
They must be. This is a Miami column. Alex Marvez is a Dolphins writer. If he's putting out this story from their end, there's clearly something to it.

Count Zarth
BTW, the reason for this is Cam Cameron. He wants a QB that can run the Coryell offense. It ain't Culepper.

SPchief
02-27-2007, 10:40 PM
He'd be great for them to have as they transition into the Coryell offense.

He's more familiar with than any player in the league today.

If the Dolphins want to offer anything of value for him, we'd be crazy to ignore them.

Can't agree with you more. If we could get ANYTHING in return for Green, do it. And this is coming from somebody that as of last week wanted green to start. But the resigning of Huard changes everything.

Mr. Kotter
02-27-2007, 10:41 PM
we traded for joe montana when he was 37

That was Carl Peterson...and we are talking about Joe MONTANA.

THIS is NOT the same situation; although, my point stands....it took a HOF, 3-time MVP to milk anything....from Carl even. :p

Cochise
02-27-2007, 10:41 PM
Probably my favorite football player ever, and you can't say a thing about what Green's given to this team.

But... if the Dolphins package up something of value... I think you have to do it...

Argh. Pains me to say it.

Green is a class guy. He's never pointed fingers at other people and always owned up to his mistakes when he made them. He's not even afraid to throw a block when the team needs one. And on top of that he's been a great QB.

The NFL needs more people like him.

Guru
02-27-2007, 10:42 PM
They must be. This is a Miami column. Alex Marvez is a Dolphins writer. If he's putting out this story from their end, there's clearly something to it.
It would go a long way in explaining why we resigned Huard today too.

KCWolfman
02-27-2007, 10:43 PM
maybe we can get a 3rd for him
For a 36 year old QB? He isn't Joe Montana by any stretch.

Mr. Kotter
Well, the Dolphin GM will replace Carl as the dumbest GM in the league next to Matt Millen....if this goes down.

If the Dolphins are that stupid, good for Carl I guess.

Thig Lyfe
Hmmm. This is interesting.

But I think the most likely scenario is Julie Green finally convinces Trent to retire.

Cochise
The only thing about this is that Huard isn't a long-term solution either. He's got to be 32 or 33.

We need a real solution and not a band-aid.

Mr. Kotter
02-27-2007, 10:45 PM
The only thing about this is that Huard isn't a long-term solution either. He's got to be 32 or 33.

This gives Croyle another year or two to develop.... :hmmm:

milkman
02-27-2007, 10:46 PM

We're going to sign Joey Harrington.

:p

KCFalcon59
02-27-2007, 10:47 PM
Can we trade our cheerleaders for theirs?

That is what I'm talking about!!!

KCWolfman

I agree. We need 2 seasons at 7-9, or ever worse and start developing some younger talent.

While the front office will never do it, I would trade the farm and get rid of some high dollar older guys while signing some younger up and comers dirt cheap for long terms. We take our loses for 2 years while they develop and then bring in the high dollar stop gap free agents in 2009 to make a real push for the title.

However, this town threw a temper tantrum when we released Joe Valerio, I don't see how the Admin at Arrowhead would survive a LJ, Green, Gonzalez, etc, dump.

Cochise

I'm having a maalox moment.

milkman
This gives Croyle another year or two to develop.... :hmmm:

One more year.

He needs to realistically be the starter by the start of '08, or we need to look for another QBoTF.

Mr. Kotter
02-27-2007, 10:48 PM

Don't laugh.

I can see it. :hmmm:

Guru
02-27-2007, 10:48 PM

Hate to say it but that thought did cross my mind.

ROYC75
02-27-2007, 10:49 PM

I can here the press's printing now....... we win the Joey Bowl.

SPchief
02-27-2007, 10:50 PM

Don't be stupid. David Carr is our guy.

Mr. Kotter
02-27-2007, 10:50 PM
One more year.

He needs to realistically be the starter by the start of '08, or we need to look for another QBoTF.

Rivers sat for two, or was it three years....

The dude better be puttin' on some weight and hittin' the weight room.

If he does that, I think we are good for QoTF....:)

milkman
02-27-2007, 10:53 PM
Don't be stupid. David Carr is our guy.

AAAAARRRRRRGGGHHhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

milkman
02-27-2007, 10:54 PM
Rivers sat for two, or was it three years....

The dude better be puttin' on some weight and hittin' the weight room.

If he does that, I think we are good for QoTF....:)

Two years.

noa
02-27-2007, 10:55 PM
This would be great for us. It would show we're actually serious about letting go of our hopes that our old players can get the job done and begin the rebuilding process. Maybe Carl thinks if he starts blowing up the roster right now, he might just have a chance to have a good team in the final year of his GM contract.

Direckshun
02-27-2007, 10:55 PM
Man, all the things that guy has done for this city, to get us a draft pick upon his departure would seem like a perfect goodbye.

Demonpenz
02-27-2007, 10:56 PM
We better not go 7-9 we made the playoffs last year. We need to be adding pieces to make a run.

noa
02-27-2007, 11:02 PM
We better not go 7-9 we made the playoffs last year. We need to be adding pieces to make a run.

We're primed to make a run for the early bird special at Old Country Buffet.

jlscorpio
02-27-2007, 11:08 PM
I love the Huard re-signing. Like everyone else, I appreciate what Trent did for the Chiefs. That being said, it's time to move on. Trent's days as a Pro Bowler are over. I'd gladly take getting our 4th rd pick back for Trent. The youth movement needs to happen now. Time to build for the future, not another barely miss/barely make the playoffs year.

ChiefsCountry
02-27-2007, 11:15 PM
Probably my favorite football player ever, and you can't say a thing about what Green's given to this team.

But... if the Dolphins package up something of value... I think you have to do it...

Argh. Pains me to say it.

Green is a class guy. He's never pointed fingers at other people and always owned up to his mistakes when he made them. He's not even afraid to throw a block when the team needs one. And on top of that he's been a great QB.

The NFL needs more people like him.

I agree 100% with that.

KCWolfman
02-27-2007, 11:19 PM
I love the Huard re-signing. Like everyone else, I appreciate what Trent did for the Chiefs. That being said, it's time to move on. Trent's days as a Pro Bowler are over. I'd gladly take getting our 4th rd pick back for Trent. The youth movement needs to happen now. Time to build for the future, not another barely miss/barely make the playoffs year.
Yup. After the discipline-less last years of the Schottenheimer team, it was nice to have a team that seemed intent on working together. I am done with nice, I want to win.

Thanks for your years here, Mr. Green. The fans and you benefitted greatly from your time on the field. However, I don't see my team progressing with you at the helm. Good luck in your future endeavors.

thurman merman
02-27-2007, 11:22 PM
do they still have vonnie holliday?

Demonpenz
02-27-2007, 11:25 PM
i don't know if you are kidding but vonnie holiday just got a huge payday

Bacon Cheeseburger
02-27-2007, 11:25 PM
do they still have vonnie holliday?
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=158651

Rausch
02-27-2007, 11:32 PM
The odds of such a scenario unfolding increased Tuesday with Kansas City re-signing quarterback Damon Huard to a three-year contract that FOX Sports reported is worth $7.5 million.

GIGGITY! GIGGITY!

el borracho
02-27-2007, 11:40 PM
Without even knowing what they would offer, I would have to say, "I'll take it!"

Short Leash Hootie
02-27-2007, 11:46 PM
If we got a 4th or 5th for Green I'd be ECSTATIC.

Short Leash Hootie
02-27-2007, 11:49 PM
Shit, I'd take a Joey Harrington for Trent Green trade.

Harrington showed some flashes last year, and with a good running game he might be ok. I'd love to see Joey with a good running game and a good line with some weapons at WR...

*I understand this won't happen*

Woodrow Call
02-27-2007, 11:50 PM

Harrington showed some flashes last year, and with a good running game he might be ok. I'd love to see Joey with a good running game and a good line with some weapons at WR...

I'd like to see a good line and some weapons at WR

Guru
02-27-2007, 11:50 PM

Green for Harrington and a 4th maybe.

Demonpenz
02-27-2007, 11:59 PM
good too see we made the correct move in not atleast trying huard in the second half of the indy game

Guru
02-28-2007, 12:04 AM
good too see we made the correct move in not atleast trying huard in the second half of the indy game
What in Sam Hell are you talking about?

Sam Hall
02-28-2007, 12:05 AM
What in Sam Hall are you talking about?

FYP

stevieray
02-28-2007, 12:06 AM

that was my first thought as well..if they intended on signing the guy, why didn't they give him a chance in Indy...

Guru
02-28-2007, 12:07 AM
FYP
I knew you would edit that.

BWillie
02-28-2007, 12:39 AM

I agree. Never gonna happen though. I don't know what the Dolphins are thinking even considering any trade. I don't know why anybody would want to trade for Trent Green at all right now. Not even for a 6th rounder. He's 37. He needs perfect protection. He got his brain mashed in last year. He looked like dog shit at the end of the season. Even if he still can play to the rate he was, he's gonna be 37. Damon Huard is 33. He has 3-4 years left.

I feel bad for Daunte Culpepper, he's had an injury ridden last couple of years. His last full season he was unstoppable. The guy has gas in his tank, and is still one of the top 5 QB's in the league when he's healthy. I certainly look for a reemergence next year if he gets a chance to be #1.

In the last two years he's played a combined total of 10 games, and that was mostly playing through injury and in a new system. In 2004 he threw for 4750 yards 39 TD's 11 INT with a 111 QB rating. Amazing how people tend to forget.

SPchief
02-28-2007, 12:42 AM
Cullpepper is not a top five QB.

BWillie
02-28-2007, 12:52 AM
Cullpepper is not a top five QB.

When healthy, I put him at five. He has a career rating of 90.8 and completes over 64% of his passes. I think Daunte has got completely shit on the last couple years. Here is a stat for ya, he is FIFTH IN ALL TIME PASSER RATING. He is behind the likes of Steve Young, Peyton Manning, Kurt Warner, and Joe freaking Montana. All 4 of those guys have been Super Bowl MVP's. That is counting his last two shitty years of being hurt.

CupidStunt
02-28-2007, 06:24 AM
I'd give him up for anything. Even a 7th or some garbage.

Chief Chief
02-28-2007, 06:37 AM
I'd find it easy to swap Trent for a needed position player or a draft pick.

Stewie
02-28-2007, 06:46 AM
Aren't the Bears a QB away from winning it all? I could see Trent filling that void. It's all about winning now.

InChiefsHell
02-28-2007, 06:49 AM
All I know is this sucks. I of course (like all of us) wanted to see Trent go out a winner, preferably a Super Bowl winner, for the Kansas City Chiefs. I hope his wife convinces him to retire. WHat the hell, he's gonna go play somewhere else for what, one more season? What's the point? Take your cash and your TV smile and start the next phase of your career, Trent. Go out with class, instead of looking desperate.

Messier
02-28-2007, 06:54 AM
I don't think the Chiefs would give up Green for anything lower than a 3rd.

CupidStunt
02-28-2007, 07:05 AM
I don't think the Chiefs would give up Green for anything lower than a 3rd.

They ain't gon' get a third for him.

Chief Chief
02-28-2007, 07:51 AM
When healthy, I put him at five. He has a career rating of 90.8 and completes over 64% of his passes. I think Daunte has got completely shit on the last couple years. Here is a stat for ya, he is FIFTH IN ALL TIME PASSER RATING. He is behind the likes of Steve Young, Peyton Manning, Kurt Warner, and Joe freaking Montana. All 4 of those guys have been Super Bowl MVP's. That is counting his last two shitty years of being hurt.

Daunte got the majority of those numbers when he had receivers named Cris Carter and Randy Moss and played against NFC North teams which, at the time, had pass defenses which were average at best. He truly sucked at the start of the 2006 season which is why Harrington replaced him.

HMc
02-28-2007, 05:07 PM
If a trade means the other team takes on his contract (including the prorata signing bonus chunks for future years?) then i'd give up a 7th round pick for them to take trent off our hands.

HMc
02-28-2007, 05:08 PM
Daunte got the majority of those numbers when he had receivers named Cris Carter and Randy Moss and played against NFC North teams which, at the time, had pass defenses which were average at best. He truly sucked at the start of the 2006 season which is why Harrington replaced him.

Yeah and Steve Young played against the NFC West. So did Montana.

MichaelH
02-28-2007, 05:43 PM
I'm saying it now. If Trent goes to the Dolphins, they will be a contender. They'll torch the Chiefs in the playoffs and it will make the Donny Edwards screwup look like a minor oversight. And forget the part about the playoffs, the Chiefs won't make it.

Woodrow Call
02-28-2007, 05:50 PM
I'm saying it now. If Trent goes to the Dolphins, they will be a contender. They'll torch the Chiefs in the playoffs and it will make the Donny Edwards screwup look like a minor oversight. And forget the part about the playoffs, the Chiefs won't make it.

Was I the only person who saw the post-head injury Trent?

Regardless of what Trent does in Miami, Chicago, etc, getting rid of a 37 yr old QB that looked mediocre at best last year is the right move with a youth movement on the way.

I loved what Trent did for us the past 6 years but he is not the future and that is all I care about at this point.

HMc
02-28-2007, 05:51 PM
trent needs a line better than any team in the NFL has at the moment, probably.

milkman
02-28-2007, 05:52 PM

WTF cares?

The Chiefs aren't going anywhere this season, with or without Green, and he's nearing retirement.

I have a great deal of respect for Green and what he accomplished as a Chief, but if we can get some value for him, now, before he retires, then we have to do it.

Oregon chief
02-28-2007, 05:52 PM
Aren't the Bears a QB away from winning it all? I could see Trent filling that void. It's all about winning now.

The bears are said to be shopping Briggs around. That would be a great trade. Probly have to throw in a low draft pick.

L.A. Chieffan
02-28-2007, 05:54 PM
I heard a rumor from somebody "in the know" that the Chiefs were taking a look at Schaub. Probably doesn't mean anything though since we resigne Huard.

HMc
02-28-2007, 07:14 PM
The bears are said to be shopping Briggs around. That would be a great trade. Probly have to throw in a low draft pick.

Holy shit. Are you suggesting the bears would give up briggs for Green and a low pick?!

ROFL

booger
02-28-2007, 07:50 PM
By Clark Judge
http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10028486

The Kansas City Chiefs are fielding calls from teams interested in Trent Green, but there's no indication what the club wants in exchange for the veteran quarterback.

That doesn't come as news to Jim Steiner, Green's agent, who is still waiting to hear from the Chiefs about a possible renegotiation of a contract scheduled to pay Green $7.2 million this season.

Green has been the team's starter since he was acquired in 2001 from St. Louis, but he missed eight games last year with a concussion and was replaced by Damon Huard.

Huard, 5-3 as a starter, was re-signed by the Chiefs on Tuesday, fueling speculation that Green might be headed for the discard pile. The Chiefs have said they must renegotiate Green's contract, otherwise they would consider trading or releasing him.

So far, however, there have been no talks -- though NFL sources said clubs contacted the Chiefs to gauge their interest in trading him. One person said the Chiefs aren't shopping Green but did say they fielded calls regarding the quarterback.

"I haven't had any conversation with them," said Steiner. "I anticipate something, but there's been nothing thus far."

Steiner said that "everyone knows" the Chiefs are shopping the veteran, who turns 37 this year, and is not sure what the re-signing of Huard means for his client. What he does know is that the Chiefs want to get younger. He also knows Green's time in Kansas City is limited, at best -- which means his future is dependent on the next phone call from the Chiefs.

"It depends on what they are or are not about to do," Steiner said of the Chiefs. "And what may be out there."

Green last year bowed out in the first game of the season after sustaining a concussion, and he missed a game for the first time in his career with the Chiefs. When he returned he never seemed the same, committing atypical mistakes and finishing with more interceptions (nine) than touchdowns (seven) for the first time since the 2001 season.

His quarterback rating of 74.1 marked the first time in five years he didn't finish in the 90-plus range, and it trailed Huard's mark of 98.0 by a substantial margin. The Chiefs were 4-4 with Green at quarterback.

What makes Green's departure possible is coach Herman Edwards' insistence that the club get younger. Huard turns 34 this year, but he's not the quarterback who could make Green expendable; Brodie Croyle is, and he's the 2006 third-round draft pick the club is eager to play.

Croyle figures in the Chiefs' long-term future; Trent Green does not. And even if the Chiefs were to reach a settlement on a new contract with Green there is this: If the Chiefs carry Green and Huard, one of them is destined to be the club's No. 3 quarterback -- with Croyle getting the backup job.

NewChief
02-28-2007, 07:52 PM
By Clark Judge
http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10028486

The Kansas City Chiefs are fielding calls from teams interested in Trent Green, but there's no indication what the club wants in exchange for the veteran quarterback.

That doesn't come as news to Jim Steiner, Green's agent, who is still waiting to hear from the Chiefs about a possible renegotiation of a contract scheduled to pay Green $7.2 million this season.

Yup. Nutless Carl didn't even talk to Trent or Steiner before doing the Huard deal. They haven't said a word to him. Supposedly the first time in Trent's career that moves like this have ever been made without even giving him a courtesy call.

FAX
02-28-2007, 07:54 PM
All this crap is making me sick. I'm afraid this team is one okaayyy away from a 10 year slide.

FAX

booger
02-28-2007, 07:56 PM
Doesn't make it right, but makes sense not to Shop him, but to field calls.

Normally a 37 year old player ( as of next season ) would bring laughter at being shopped from teams interested.

Just bargaining power. Ugly side of the business.