PDA

View Full Version : Mitt Romney Appoints Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio to Presidential Campaign

pikesome
02-28-2007, 12:14 PM
Link (http://www.foxnews.com/printer_friendly_story/0,3566,255428,00.html)

Mitt Romney Appoints Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio to Presidential Campaign

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

FC1
ADVERTISEMENT

A controversial Arizona sheriff known for making his inmates wear pink underwear and eat green bologna turned his back on his state's favored presidential candidate, opting instead to join forces with former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney.

The Romney camp appointed Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio Monday as honorary chair of the campaign in the state of Arizona, FOXNews.com has learned.

Arpaio has made his name with a tough stance on immigration, applying an anti-smuggling law to jail illegal immigrants in his county in a tent city. Inmates are forced to wear pink underwear and eat green bologna.

The Romney 2008 campaign also named Arizona political consultant Jason Rose as the state director of Romney's Republican bid for office.

"Each has many years of experience in Arizona politics and will help us mobilize our already robust network of grassroots support," said Romney in a statement. "They will be strong surrogates for our optimistic message of a stronger and safer America."

On Tuesday, a leaked Romney document revealed the candidate's strategy for positively framing his campaign against other Republican contenders such as Sen. John McCain of Arizona, a decorated war hero portrayed by the Romney camp as "too Washington," "too close to (Democratic) Left," and an "uncertain, erratic, unreliable leader in uncertain times."

I'm not sure he could have picked a less impressive man.

patteeu
02-28-2007, 12:27 PM
I guess he's planning to distinguish himself from McCain and Giuliani on the immigration issue.

Green bologna? :Lin:

Cochise
02-28-2007, 12:29 PM
Regular bologna is bad enough :Lin:

CHIEF4EVER
02-28-2007, 04:41 PM
It's actually a pretty good move on Romney's part.

pikesome
02-28-2007, 05:26 PM
It's actually a pretty good move on Romney's part.

You don't want him to win? It's not a good idea to hitch one's wagon to such a polarizing figure.

CHIEF4EVER
02-28-2007, 05:40 PM
You don't want him to win? It's not a good idea to hitch one's wagon to such a polarizing figure.

I don't think Arpaio will have as much of a polarizing effect as you might think. This move will, however, show a tough stance on crime and illegal immigration.

DenverChief
02-28-2007, 06:25 PM
Love Arpaio but Romney is a Douschenozzle

CHIEF4EVER
02-28-2007, 06:29 PM
Love Arpaio but Romney is a Douschenozzle

Nearly all politicians are. Especially the contenders on both sides of the aisle in this upcoming election. Romney just best represents my interests in this upcoming election. Picturing it like buying 2 day old fish from a fish market. You have to pick one because you have to eat, they all stink, so you pick the one that stinks the least.