PDA

View Full Version : Damon Huard= Cody Carlson

KCChiefsFan88
02-28-2007, 12:31 PM
This situation is going to develop almost exactly like what happened with the Houston Oilers when they decided to dump Warren Moon, who they perceived as being washed up and making too much $$$ in favor of back-up QB Cody Carlson.

Moon missed the majority of the previous season with injury and Carlson stepped in and played well in his absence (similar to Huard stepping in for Trent and playing well). However as a starting QB, with teams having an offseason of film to study and creating gameplans to stop him, Carlson flamed out as a starting QB and Houston went 2-14.

StcChief
02-28-2007, 12:32 PM
So our 2 W will be against Faiders to go 10-0 on them..

I'd be ok with that. Draft picks abound

Dump more dead weight.

alnorth
02-28-2007, 12:33 PM
This situation is going to develop almost exactly like what happened with the Houston Oilers when they decided to dump Warren Moon, who they perceived as being washed up and making too much $$$ in favor of back-up QB Cody Carlson.

Moon missed the majority of the previous season with injury and Carlson stepped in and played well in his absence (similar to Huard stepping in for Trent and playing well). However as a starting QB, with teams having an offseason of film to study and creating gameplans to stop him, Carlson flamed out as a starting QB and Houston went 2-14.

Agreed, though I believe LJ would be able to carry this team to at least 5-6 wins.

JBucc
02-28-2007, 12:34 PM
I could see something similar to that happening, though I think LJ and Arrowhead will prevent us from being THAT bad.

Brock
02-28-2007, 12:36 PM
Maybe you're right. There's something about a guy who had the kind of season Huard had and it seems as if nobody really came after him. On the other hand, who cares, we aren't running anything like a run and shoot offense.

Woodrow Call
02-28-2007, 12:41 PM
Huard is a band-aid nothing more. He signed for backup money and I think that is what he will end up being.

He will battle Croyle for the job and even if he wins it I don't see him starting for more than a year. All he is going to be asked to do is go 12-20 175 yrds and 0 INTS; he is capable of doing that.

htismaqe
02-28-2007, 12:42 PM
Maybe you're right. There's something about a guy who had the kind of season Huard had and it seems as if nobody really came after him. On the other hand, who cares, we aren't running anything like a run and shoot offense.

We run a run and punt offense...

recxjake
02-28-2007, 12:43 PM
Huard is good. Once they open the playbook up I think he will really do great. Get him a WR and some Oline and I think we have a shot.

Chiefnj
02-28-2007, 12:44 PM
I don't think Herm knows what to do at the QB spot.

When Green first went down he said Green would get the starting spot back when he was healthy. Then, after Huard had a little bit of a hot streak Herm waivered in what he said to the press, but put Green back anyway. Then right before the playoff game he made the statement about pulling any player that wasn't playing effectively. The entire Chiefs O played like crap but he didn't change anything in the second half. Now, 6 months later he seems to be giving the nod to the guy he wouldn't play in the second half of the season, or in the second half of the playoff game.

Direckshun
02-28-2007, 12:46 PM
Remember, nobody talks about this but Huard actually threw two interceptions in 2006. He threw a pass right into Jason Taylor's chest on our own 2 yard line that Taylor somehow dropped.

It's going to be that kind of decision-making that'll bury us if we can't protect Huard in 2007.

We have to draft an O-lineman or three in the draft.

htismaqe
02-28-2007, 12:49 PM
Huard is good. Once they open the playbook up I think he will really do great. Get him a WR and some Oline and I think we have a shot.

Huard was one of the reasons they closed the playbook in the first place.

Rooster
02-28-2007, 12:50 PM
Huard is a band-aid nothing more. He signed for backup money and I think that is what he will end up being.

He will battle Croyle for the job and even if he wins it I don't see him starting for more than a year. All he is going to be asked to do is go 12-20 175 yrds and 0 INTS; he is capable of doing that.

That's how I see it too.

recxjake
02-28-2007, 12:50 PM
Huard was one of the reasons they closed the playbook in the first place.

because he was a backup that hadn't played in years... they didn't have a clue to what he would do. He proved he could play... give him months to prepare to be the starter... time with the first string and I see no reason why he won't great next year

Reerun_KC
02-28-2007, 12:53 PM

Open the playbook up? Your kidding right? They have already scrapped 3/4's of it and like Htismaqe just stated "The Chiefs are now running, the run, punt and play defense type offense."

Herm and offense dont work well together...

You watch the Chiefs this year and look at tapes from the 1988, 1989 and 1990 seasons and you wont see much difference between the two teams.

Get Trent and OL and WR and you have your Pro bowl QB agian.. Where have you been the last 6 years?

King_Chief_Fan

agree. stop gap until QBOTF is groomed, traded for or drafted.
Care taker of the ball is right up his ally.

The offense doesn't fit Green anymore and having a 9 M QB in this offense is crazy.

This move is all about cost cutting and building for the future. We have to do that without Green.

htismaqe
because he was a backup that hadn't played in years... they didn't have a clue to what he would do. He proved he could play... give him months to prepare to be the starter... time with the first string and I see no reason why he won't great next year

He proved he could play with a LIMITED PLAYBOOK.

Reerun_KC
02-28-2007, 12:56 PM
I really hate to see Trent leave, but when you offense is more geared to controlling the clock, rather than scoring TD's. It makes sense to keep Huard for a stop gap..

Croyle better be ready, with these clowns we have at LT, Huard wont last all year.

Chiefnj
02-28-2007, 12:59 PM
I really hate to see Trent leave, but when you offense is more geared to controlling the clock, rather than scoring TD's. It makes sense to keep Huard for a stop gap..

Croyle better be ready, with these clowns we have at LT, Huard wont last all year.

Huard will be fine. He fumbles right before he is hit hard which reduces his risk of serious injury as defenders focus on the free ball.

FringeNC
02-28-2007, 01:01 PM
Huard, coupled with a play-not-to-lose gameplan, can produce a good QB rating against bad defenses and error prone offenses.

Huard could be 13-15 at halftime for 84 yards and a qb rating of about 90, and we could be below-average offensively.

When Trent was putting up those 90+ qb ratings, he was doing so primarily on Y/A component -- the one that matters! Near the top of the league every year. There is a lot of noise in TD/Int ratio, and who cares about completion percentage if it is dink and dunk -- but if you are putting up high Y/A numbers, you will make the safeties honest.

I predict next year that Huard, if a starter, will put up an 80-85 qb rating and that the Chiefs will finish in the bottom half of the league on offense. Depending on the defense, and how the breaks go, we could sneak in for a WC berth, and get slaughtered. And the Herm fans would celebrate the playoff appearance, despite getting slaughtered, and blame the loss on lack of effort on the players, rather than the style of play that allowed them to squeak in by letting bad teams beat themselves.

Rooster
02-28-2007, 01:07 PM
Huard will be fine. He fumbles right before he is hit hard which reduces his risk of serious injury as defenders focus on the free ball.

ROFL ROFL So true. :)

ChiefsCountry
02-28-2007, 01:18 PM
Hell we could have Peyton Manning at QB and it wouldnt matter with the tackles we got. Our poor OL play was more the reason the offense didnt get going more than anything.

Chiefs Pantalones
02-28-2007, 01:30 PM
I think we should start Croyle this year. Rebuild NOW.

MOhillbilly
02-28-2007, 01:31 PM

pfff billy joe toliver and bucky rickardson were awesome!

Brock
02-28-2007, 01:41 PM
I think we should start Croyle this year. Rebuild NOW.

The job is probably going to be his to EARN.

Mecca
02-28-2007, 02:02 PM
Moon was pretty much done when he left Houston.........and that team ended up on the right track not long after that decision.

Brock
02-28-2007, 02:04 PM
Moon was pretty much done when he left Houston.........and that team ended up on the right track not long after that decision.

Not long? Try 6 years.

DeezNutz
02-28-2007, 02:14 PM

Actually, Moon made the Pro Bowl in '94, '95, and '97, so he had a few good years left. This said, I don't think the comparison between Moon and Green is apt because of the nature of Green's injury.

The 810 guys have been crying about how entering the season with Huard as the QB is a terrible idea (which we're still not sure is going to be the case), and though he's no Manning, would entering the year with Green actually make anyone feel any more confident?

Mecca
02-28-2007, 02:38 PM
Not long? Try 6 years.

I meant in relation to what he had been, he was still a solid starter but he wasn't playing to the HOF level he was the years before.

Of course Trent Green never sniffed Warren Moon on each of their best days.

Brock
02-28-2007, 02:41 PM
I meant in relation to what he had been, he was still a solid starter but he wasn't playing to the HOF level he was the years before.

You said it was "not long" before the team was on the right track. It was 6 years before they finished better than 8-8.

Mecca
02-28-2007, 02:43 PM
You said it was "not long" before the team was on the right track. It was 6 years before they finished better than 8-8.

How many of those years were McNairs development......I was about 13 when all this happened so obviously I don't remember it like it was yesterday.

ChiefsCountry
02-28-2007, 02:44 PM
Also Houston playing a lame duck season in Houston, moving to Memphis for a year sure didnt help either.

Arrowhead Pride
02-28-2007, 03:27 PM
If want to bring up Cody Carlson, I'll bring up Rich Gannon. Backup QB who WE GOT RID OF who ended up taking a team to the Super Bowl.

Just as flimsy an argument as yours.

Oxford
02-28-2007, 08:43 PM
Given what we don't know about Trent's post concussion MRI's, how serious it really was and how out-of-sync he looked when he came back, I can understand the decision to sign Huard. But I agree, Huard is a stopgap at best.

Miles
02-28-2007, 09:08 PM

His second year with Minnesota was one of the better years of his career.

Completly agree that when the two were at their best there is not comparison between Green and Moon. Also a poor comparison since Green was kind of a late bloomer while Moon was great for years.

Miles
02-28-2007, 09:11 PM
How many of those years were McNairs development......I was about 13 when all this happened so obviously I don't remember it like it was yesterday.

They had a revolving door at QB for a year or two and I remember Chris Chandler being serviceable for a season or two as McNair developed.

DaWolf
02-28-2007, 10:53 PM
If want to bring up Cody Carlson, I'll bring up Rich Gannon. Backup QB who WE GOT RID OF who ended up taking a team to the Super Bowl.

Just as flimsy an argument as yours.

Yeah, basically we as fans cannot make an educated decision on this because this really goes beyond talent and pedigree and past performance. The question is who has support in the locker room, who best fits the coaches plans, and who can perform better with the supporting cast and system they will be given. There are a lot of internal factors we cannot take into account that only the team knows. And even they are guessing in large part.

I will say this: if our pass blocking does not improve, it doesn't matter who our QB is...